Help! I’m probably going to murder my friends in this Isekai!

Episode 9: The Path To Paradise!
The hills of the northern reaches of Delfanas were pointed and steep. Entire villages hung from their sides, tethered to the slanted surface with ropes that must have taken generations to twist and knot. Donovan only briefly gazed at the tilted structures as his fleet passed overhead. His thoughts were elsewhere as he sat atop his throne.

Donovan was sure now of his path. It was up to him to crash the game and bring everybody out. But there was also a creeping doubt in the back of his mind. Could he really gamble with everyone's life that a game crash would bring them out, and not kill them like in some shows? Donovan narrowed his eyes as he pondered the dilemma, staring ahead into space.

"Uncle," a voice called up.

Blinking, the young man pulled himself out of his thoughts and looked down the throne steps. "What it is Reqart,"

The boy stood at the base of the stairs. Behind him stood Babi. Princess Esymia had been brought a chair, and sat with perfect posture on its edge to the side of the steps. Standing in a line in the shadows behind her were sorcerers. The masked servants tapped and held the hilts of their swords, watching both Babi and the back of the princess's chair.

Reqart turned and pointed behind him at the middle of the throne room. Missa lay on the floor, bleeding out from the stump of her missing arm. "Are you going to help her?"

Donovan exhaled slowly. "She hasn't been a particularly effective NPC. I was thinking of letting her HP exhaust and then naming a new master of spies,"

The boy was silent for a moment, clearly thinking. He glanced over his shoulder at the Rook assassin. "But Uncle," Reqart said. "She brought me to you, and has said kind words to me. Must you let her die?"

"Puppets don't die Reqart," Donovan said, gesturing vaguely around the throne room. "Their game data is always somewhere, ready to be used again once the right conditions are met,"

"A romantic view of our world," Princess Esymia said. She did not turn her head to look up at Donovan, and her voice had been quiet. Despite this, her words were still clearly audible. "I wish it were so, so that we might meet those we once knew again,"

"Hm," Donovan said, ignoring the elf woman.

"May I save her Uncle?"

Donovan looked down the steps again at Reqart. The boy had an intensity in his eyes the man had not seen before. Donovan glanced to where the Rook lay. The puddle of blood around her was expanding. He looked back at the boy, thinking. With a gesture Donovan indicated Reqart was free to do as he pleased.

The boy wasted no time in turning and running across the floor. His footfalls echoed around the columns. He dropped to his knees beside Missa, then held his hands over her body. Donovan could hear Reqart's indistinct words as the boy murmured.

A bright light flashed around Reqart and Missa, surprising Donovan and forcing him to shield his eyes. When he lowered his hand, he saw two geometric symbols rotating around the wounded Rook. She rose in the air, the stub of her arm glowing. Blood vessels, tendons and bones sprouted, forming an arm and then flesh. Donovan slowly rose from his throne, watching.

The geometric symbols spun faster and faster, then flashed and disappeared. Missa slowly lowered to the floor, the other half of her mask falling away. She opened her eyes and blinked, then looked around. "What?" She said, clearly confused.

Without a word Donovan descended the stairs. When he reached the bottom he looked at the shadows behind Princess Esymia's chair. "Tokaroaka! Summon Ozadias, now!" The shadows shifted, and Tokaroaka wearing his grotesque mask emerged.

"Master, forgive me, but the spirit of wisdom has an…adversarial relationship with magic-users and non-heroes. It is dangerous for us to-"

"Just do it!"

Tokaroaka was surrounded by his sorcerers. They made the symbol on the floor with a red paste, then they all cut their hands with knives and flicked blood into the center. They began chanting.

Ozadias appeared after multiple flashes, though he looked different. His clothing was long and tattered, trailing around the floor like octopus tendrils. His face was clouded by mist. Above his head, a flaming circle made of gold rotated. The sorcerers cowered, save Tokaroaka, who tried to remain upright.

"Ozadias!" Donovan yelled. "Quit messing around and get over here!"

The spirit transformed as it turned to Donovan. The mist and burning circle were replaced by a floppy hat. His long, ragged garments shifted into a flowing robe. "Greetings hero," He said, bowing his head.

Donovan came over to Reqart and put his hands on the boy's shoulders, presenting him to Ozadias. "I want to give this boy a gift, and you are going to make it happen,"

"A gift?" Reqart said, looking up at Donovan excitedly.

The Count nodded, gesturing at Missa. "You healed her, and did quite an impressive job. Would you like to have her?"

Reqart looked confused, as did Missa. "What do you mean Uncle?"

"I mean you can have her if you want. She'll be your NPC, like a servant. She'll stay by your side and follow your orders without question. It's quite handy,"

Reqart slowly turned his confused expression and looked at the Rook assassin. Missa said nothing, hanging her head and waiting. "I…I guess that would be alright. Is it really a gift Uncle?"

"Your own puppet," Donovan said, smiling warmly. "Just like Big Garth and his hammer of truth,"

Smiling, Reqart looked over at Missa. "Yeah okay!"

"Ozadias," Donovan said. "Give my Nephew a HUD," The spirit of wisdom said nothing, continuing to bob gently in the air. Donovan's expression hardened. "I won't ask again, spirit. You said you took away my friends' HUD's, which means you can give them to people as well,"

"My powers are for heroes," Ozadias said, her voice oddly quiet "The many-way travelers, and the greatest of knowledge-seekers,"

"The boy is as much a hero as us," Donovan said, nodding reassuringly at Reqart.

"He was not brought through the aether from another world,"

"I don't care, give him a HUD or this hero's objective will change to "kill spirit". Do you understand what I'm saying to you Ozadias? My goal will be to end your program, and make you nonfunctioning. Does that compute?"

Ozadias was quiet again. He slowly lowered to the ground, his feet touching down on the stone. He made a small gesture for Reqart to approach. "Close your eyes child," The spirit said. "And think happy thoughts,"

"Wait!" Babi shouted, skidding to a halt in front of Reqart. She threw out both arms. "What are you about to do to him,"

"He's got a talent for the game," Donovan said, lifting his chin to look down his nose at the woman. "And we're about to enter some high-level areas. This will help him,"

Princess Esymia rose from her chair and approached. Her deep blue robe trailed behind her. She came up gracefully beside Babi, putting her hands together. She stared at Donovan with the same unreadable expression as before. "The path you choose is your own. Do not involve the boy,"

"Become aware of your situation waifu," Donovan said, glaring at her. "You are among lions and a pissed-off player character, so choose your dialogue tree carefully,"

Reqart came to stand between Babi and Princess Esymia. He took both their hands, smiling up at them in turn. "It's alright, my father trusts Uncle Donovan, and he's about to give me a gift,"

The elf smiled down at him, the first expression of her's Donovan had seen. She turned to Ozadias. "Spirit, tread carefully in what you are about to do,"

Reqart let go of both the women's hands and went over to Ozadias. Without a word the spirit placed his palm in front of Reqart's face. Babi took a step forward, prompting Donovan to summon Crooked-Fang and the Unfeeling One. Both the Montre lizards approached with their tridents. "Come with us Saint," Crooked-Fang said. "Princess, this way, leave the Count to his work,"

Babi looked ready to fight. "You'll only hurt yourself and my nephew," Donovan said, his low voice echoing around the throne-room. "Don't choose this moment to start a bloodbath,"

"If you hurt him," Babi said, pointing at Donovan. "It will be the last bloodbath you see,"

Reqart's eyes glowed as his hair trailed around his head. Ozadias lowered his palm, and the boy's hair fell back down. His eyes returned to normal colors. Reqart blinked, then looked at his hands. "Uncle!" He said, clearly awed. "There's writing everywhere!"

"That's right," Donovan said, smiling and guiding Reqart towards Missa. "Ozadias, you're dismissed," The man heard the spirit disappear in a flash and a puff of smoke. When he reached the Rook assassin with Reqart, Donovan held up his hands and murmured a spell. A gust of wind swept through the throne room columns, enveloping Missa. The Rook assassin was incapacitated as she slowly rotated up before them. "Now," Donovan said, kneeling down so he was level beside Reqart. "Open the menu options," He lowered his voice so Babi could not hear from where she stood. "Select the spell called enslavement,"

"Enslavement?" Reqart repeated, his voice equally hushed.

Donovan nodded. "That's right. Select the ability, target the fairy ninja, and read the words it shows," The Rook assassin remained suspended by the gale as she slowly rotated. She seemed resigned to her fate.

"Hey!" Babi called from where she stood. "What are you doing!"

"As soon as you enslave her, name her," Donovan said, guiding Reqart's hand to point at Missa. "This is how you target,"

Reqart swallowed. "I-I call upon myself by the p-power of my own name, make this other's will follow my own," Donovan snapped, releasing Missa from the gale. She fell to the floor, but was seized again by Reqart's spell. It held her aloft, her eyes rolling in the back of her head as the boy's spell supplanted Donovan's.

Donovan and Reqart watched the process together. "An enslaved NPC is very useful," The man murmured. "They will always stay at your side. They will assist and help you. And they will never change or betray you," The spell finished. Missa landed in a heap on the floor.

"W-what should I name her Uncle?" Reqart said, staring at the Rook wide-eyed.

"I don't know," Donovan said, straightening up. "A kid your age would probably call her something goofy like 'princess ninja',"

Reqart held out his hand towards the Rook. "I name you Princess Ninja,"

A bright flash erupted, forcing Donovan to shield his eyes. The Rook now known as Princess Ninja floated up, then started rapidly spinning. Her form bulged out, expanding, then she froze midair. When Princess Ninja touched down, she was six feet tall and as wide as the hulk. Donovan blinked. "Holy fuck,"

A scream built up. The Count had just enough time to turn and draw his sword as Babi fell on him. She held a spear made of light, thrusting it at his face. Donovan's martial ability activated, and time slowed. It was barely enough. He ducked and weaved, bringing up his sword as Babi's onslaught forced him backwards. The young woman fell back, flexing her scarred arms, then whipped around and began the attacks anew.

Donovan watched in slow motion as he narrowly missed deflecting one of her spear strikes. The point brushed past his cheek, digging into the skin and drawing blood. She turned her body, forcing the spear forward and into Donovan's face. He felt the impact expand across his body as he fell to the floor.

Babi stood over him, breathing heavily. "I will not stand by and watch you corrupt an innocent child," She raised her spear up over her head. A blur caught her from the side, stopping over Donovan and dangling Babi in the air. It was Princess Ninja, her hulking form expanding as the Rook breathed.

"Please Babi," Reqart called from where he stood. "Don't hurt Uncle. He promised to save my mother," The boy approached, standing next to Princess Ninja. He patted one of her large arms. "Let my friend down," The giant Rook snorted like a beast and lowered Babi to the floor. Donovan slowly got to his feet.

"Uncle," Reqart said, taking Donovan's hand. "Babi will be nice, I promise. Please don't be mad at her. You said you wouldn't teach me magic, but you did! And now I have a friend!" Prince Ninja sniffed. "You and Babi can be friends, since you're both my friends, right?"

Donovan and Babi stared at each other. The Count's expression was serious. He put a hand to his cheek, feeling the long mark were the spear cut him. It was still bleeding. Babi's expression was equally serious. Donovan softened his gaze as he glanced down at Reqart. "For now nephew, I'm not mad. Now go and get ready for dinner,"

"Yes Uncle," Reqart said, holding out his hand. Princess Ninja enveloped it in her massive fingers, then began walking the boy across the throne room. He stopped suddenly. "Oh! Uncle! Can Babi come to dinner again? And Princess Esymia!"

"Very well Reqart, it will be the four of us," Reqart grinned and continued on with his giant servant. Donovan slowly turned to Babi. "That boy is the only thing keeping you alive, NPC,"

"Just what are you trying to do here," She said, her voice low.

"Excuse me?"

"Just tell me!" Babi screamed, her voice echoing around the hall. Tears welled up in the corner of her eyes. "You saw how he saved you! I've lost him! He worships you now! Why are you doing all this! Is your home really worth all the suffering you've caused! Do you have to take Reqart from his family! From all of us! How can you even look at yourself in the mirror!"

"The same way I do anything else," Donovan said, approaching her. "With a healthy dose of reality,"

"If you teach him to treat others like their lives aren't worth anything, you will be cursing him forever,"

Donovan was silent for a moment. He and Babi's heads were close. He slowly raised his hand, taking her chin. "I want to explain something, even though you cannot possibly comprehend it," Babi lifted her chin defiantly, though Donovan still held it. "Me and my friends were born into a dream. We have always lived in this dream. One day we will die and hopefully find out what it means to be truly awake. But as long as we're in the dream, we like to keep ourselves entertained. So we draw each other paintings. They can be very realistic. The paintings can be of anything. Monsters, beautiful people, adventures. Now me and my friends are trapped in one of those paintings," Donovan lowered his hand from her chin, staring into her eyes. "Do you understand? That's all you are. A representation of a woman, in a painting, made by someone trapped in a dream,"

Tears fell down Babi's cheeks, though her expression was still defiant. "You are beyond cruel. You are a monster, a demon lord,"

Donovan leaned in by her ear. "And you're on borrowed time, NPC, but for now, let's finish that enslavement I started on you," He made to lean back, but Babi grabbed him by the collar and pulled him close. She kissed him, intensely. He squirmed, breaking away from her and stumbling backwards. "You are insane! What the hell is wrong with you!"

"All your bluster," Babi said, wiping her mouth with an empty expression. "And you're still just running scared and alone," She closed her eyes and walked past Donovan, pausing next to him. "And I know I'm in your mind when you're alone at night,"

Donovan was speechless, turning and watching as she left the throne-room. His hand slowly curled into a fist, his nails digging into his skin. "Master," A voice called. He turned and saw Tokaroaka. The sorcerer wore his usual grotesque and exaggerated mask, as well as his robe. He raised a hand and muttered an incantation, healing Donovan's wound.

"What is it Tokaroaka, I'm not in the mood,"

The sorcerer bowed. "It's about your nephew…"

Donovan slowly turned his head. "Speak carefully. You are my favorite NPC, but that can quickly change,"

Tokaroaka kept his head bowed. "Of course my Count. I only felt it my duty to inform you your nephew has magical ability beyond anything I have ever seen,"

Donovan sniffed, unimpressed. "Yes well, I'd imagine Mark passed down some stats, fucking power-gamer,"

"Master, the way the boy healed the Rook, and his enslavement and naming, I have never seen such raw harnessing of mana," The sorcerer raised his mask slightly, its crooked nose poking out. "He is without question your most powerful champion,"

Silence gripped the throne room. The two were alone, Donovan having dismissed his court and advisers long ago. The Count stared at Tokaroaka. "Remove your mask," The sorcerer obeyed, revealing a young adult Feyman with his horns cut. The filed stumps poked out from his forehead. "I'm going to explore this later," Donovan said, giving the sorcerer a hard stare. "Keep it to yourself, as well as an eye on the boy. You are now my master of spies and assassins as well, to replace the little ninja now that she belongs to my nephew,"

Tokaroaka replaced his mask to his face, then bowed. "Yes master, it will be as you command,"

Dinner came soon enough. Donovan sat on one end of the long table in the dining hall, and Princess Esymia sat on the other. Reqart and Babi sat in the middle on opposite sides. Cooks and servers lined the walls, waiting with all manner of trays and decanters. They left the wall one by one, approaching the table and setting down platters in front of those seated. Musicians played in the corner. Donovan had tried teaching them songs he remembered, but so much had happened he could only recall the melodies to Seven Nation Army and the Game of Thrones theme. Thus the musicians alternated between the two, fill the dining hall with quick string plugs and drum beats.

"Oh my," Princess Esymia said, holding up a clear goblet of bubbling liquid.

"It's called soda!" Reqart said, grinning at her. "It's really good, but if you have too much of it you get sick,"

The elf slowly brought the goblet to her lips, taking a cautious sip. Her nose was covered in foam as she lowered it. Reqart laughed, turning and pointing it out to Donovan. The young man gave him a distracted smiled. Princess Ninja stood behind Reqart, her protective shadow falling over the boy. Donovan reclined in his chair as he studied the evolved Rook, recalling Tokaroaka's words. Princess Esymia wriggled her nose, then scooped off the foam with a finger. She licked it, smiling at Reqart. "It's very good, this soda,"

"Try the garlic mashed potatoes," Reqart said, pushing a bowl her way. "They're delicious,"

Donovan's eyes moved to Babi as he sipped from a goblet. The young woman sat in a way that he could only describe as fake contentedness, as if nothing had happened earlier. Her back was straight, her long black hair falling around her shoulders. A small smile played at the corner of her mouth as she gazed down at her food. She hummed as she dug into a bowl of mac and cheese, the only other noise being Reqart pointing out different flavors of dipping sauce to Princess Esymia. Babi paused as she brought a fork to her mouth, her eyes glancing at Donovan and holding his gaze. Donovan swallowed, then glared, then looked away. Babi resumed humming as she stuck the fork in her mouth and chewed.

"Count Donovahn," Princess Esymia said, her voice clear. Donovan couldn't help but turn his head and meet her gaze.

"What is it,"

The elf slowly rested her fork on the table, her long fingers remaining along the length of the silver. "Is it true you intend to take me to Eo?"

"It is," Donovan said, his tone dismissive.

"I see,"

The man shifted in his chair. "Is that a problem? Are you perhaps going to share with me a secret way to get inside? Now would be the time, NPC waifu,"

"Respect is a currency you seem lacking in," The princess said, her expression calm. "You might find it saves your life, if you ever choose to invest,"

"And I told you earlier," Donovan said, his voice dangerously low. "Read the room,"

Along with the cooks, there were also Montre guards present. They held their tridents at attention as they stood against the wall, their capes trailing down around them. Their eyes flickered towards the elf, then resumed staring straight ahead. Princess Esymia said nothing, bringing up a goblet to sip from.

"Uncle," Reqart said. "Can I show Princess Esymia the castle afterwards?"

"Not now," Donovan said, holding up a hand as he stared at the elf. "What exactly will I find when I reach Eo? Perhaps you can enlighten me as to their defenses,"

The princess remained expressionless as she stirred a spoon in some ravioli. "You will never enter Eo, no matter how hard you try,"

Donovan smirked. "Being coy are we? Well, I have ways of getting information from NPC's. We'll see if you're not more forthcoming tomorrow in my throne room,"

Princess Esymia rose without a word, coming around the table on Reqart's side. She stopped by the boy, holding out her hand. "I think I'd like to be shown the castle now. I no longer have an appetite for this food, or this company," Reqart smiled and scooted back his chair, taking her hand. Donovan watched them leave the dining hall without a word. Babi hummed as she stood up, folding her napkin. She strolled around the table and past Donovan's chair, running her hand along the back. The man stared at the empty table until he heard the door to the hall shut. He stood abruptly, nearly knocking back his chair. The cooks and Montre guards stood at attention as he stormed out.

Once in his chambers, Donovan slammed the door and threw his cloak on the bed. He began pacing. "Damn her," Donovan said turning sharply. "Damn her! I'm losing my mind in here! I can't take this anymore!" He paused, his breath shaky. He glanced over at a wooden desk and chair set up against the wall. Draped over the chair was Babi's robe she had first been captured in. She'd discarded it the first night they'd dined together.

He didn't know why he took it, and couldn't have explained it at the time. If he'd left it, he was sure one of the servants would have disposed of it from both the castle and his mind. And yet, there it was, laying across the chair. Donovan slowly approached, swallowing. His hand reached out, taking the robe and lifting it from the chair. He held it, staring, then gripped it and closed his eyes. He could smell her scent. He stood there, his eyes closed, his mind turning. His expression twisted and he threw the robe with all his might. "No!" He yelled, gripping his head. "It's a game it's a game it's a damn fucking game!"

He slowly lowered his hands. He was too wound up and couldn't think straight. There were such important matters at hand, and yet all he could do was think of Babi. He hated her. And he knew she hated him. There was no one he could seek comfort with, not in this world.

His mind recalled the journey towards the capital of the Kingdom of Delfanas. He had been approached by one of his servants. What had been her name? She had been his master of estates. Donovan's mind began going places despite himself.

Slowly crossing his room, he opened the door. Two Montre lizards waited on either side of it in the hall, their tridents at attention. Donovan looked at one and the lizard turned to him. "Go summon Lyra," He said, then closed the door.

Donovan's heart beat in his chest as he paced back and forth in his room. What he was doing was wrong. He was in a game, a game someone had trapped him in for their amusement. It wasn't right. He needed to stop now. If we went back to the door and opened it, he could tell the guard to cancel his last order. He could even do it from where he paced if he shouted loud enough. It would be easy.

A knock on the door interrupted his thoughts. Swallowing, Donovan took a deep breath. "Enter," The door opened, and Lyra stepped inside, shutting it behind her. She turned and faced Donovan, clasping her hands before her and bowing her head. Donovan slowly moved his gaze over her. The fire in the hearth cast shadows on her nearly translucent skin. Her white-blonde hair fell in a single swirl around her shoulders. She slowly raised her head, meeting his gaze.

"Hello Master,"

An hour later, Donovan lay on top of the bed, naked and sweating. He stared at the ceiling. Lyra rolled over, draping a hand across him. She moved her head close to his ear. "I did not expect you to be a gentle lover, my Count,"

"Get out," Donovan said, staring at the ceiling.

Lyra rose up on one arm, using the other to hold the covers to her chest. "Mas-"

Donovan sat up, turning away from her. "Get out!" He shouted at the wall.

Lyra rose, letting go of the covers and walking to her dress. Donovan closed his eyes and clutched both hands to his forehead as he listened to her move. "Count Donov-"

"I do not want to hear your voice," Donovan said, closing his eyes and gritting his teeth. "I don't even want to look at you,"

"Please-"

"GO!" Donovan roared, beating his forehead with his fists.

Lyra headed for the door, opening it and pausing. "As the master of your estates, and one bound to your will, it is my duty to inform you of something," Donovan kept his eyes closed as he sat on the edge of the bed. "Your army is not enough to enter Eo," Lyra said, solemnly. The young man slowly lowered his hands from his head. Lyra took a deep breath and continued. "My people have records of a great conqueror who lived a thousand years ago. His armies were unbeatable, as was his thirst for battle. When he had dethroned every king and lord across the world, he turned his attention to Eo. This great conqueror entered with five-hundred thousand of his greatest warriors, never before defeated in battle. The conqueror and his army found a way into the forbidden lands. Many years later, only one man emerged. He told a tale of destruction and slaughter, but it was not of the conqueror's doing," Her voice grew distant. "No, it was the Guardians of Eo, of who Princess Esymia belongs to. They captured every great warrior in that unbeatable army, and tortured them until death across their great cities. We tell these tales to this day, as our scholars recorded them,"

Donovan didn't react for a few moments as he stared at the wall. Finally he nodded. "I heard you, now go," Lyra shut the door, leaving Donovan in a room with a dying hearth and walls full of shadows.

The next morning, the officials and commanders of Vashn gathered around the columns of the Count's throne room. It was a strange day, with stranger weather. The clouds hastened in waves across the sky in the opposite direction of the fleet. Sunlight poked through gaps in the waves, illuminating patches of forest that were now appearing around the ships. The rest of the countryside was kept in gray overcast.

Donovan sat atop his throne, his hands locked tightly together as he rested his face against them. His mind was in many places at once, and none of them good. He barely noticed the low babble of voices as Princes Esymia, Babi and Reqart appeared. The trio were flanked by Montre guards, who escorted them towards the stairs. "Hello uncle!" Reqart said, waving. Princess Ninja walked behind him, forcing the Montre lizards to give her room. Donovan glanced down at the boy, his gaze flickering briefly to Babi. She was staring at him with a tilted head, as if studying him. It was a look that both infuriated and shamed him. "Good morning nephew," He said, his voice low.

Reqart picked up on his uncle's tone, furrowing his brow in confusion. "Is everything alright uncle?"

"These strange clouds and winds have me out of sorts," Donovan said, managing a small smile. "Don't worry yourself. Have you had breakfast already?"

The boy nodded as he came to a stop at the bottom of the steps. "Yes uncle, the servants brought it to me this morning! Babi threw them out of course, because she doesn't trust them,"

Babi turned slightly, clearly barely interested. Donovan just shook his head. The next two hours were spent as various commanders and masters gave an account of the casualties of the battle the previous day. Donovan's forces had lost nearly eighteen-thousand men, a handful of golems, and almost all his blood flies. They were currently breeding in the hive below the castle, but it would still take almost a year to get back to their former strength. As it was, Donovan did not nearly have close to enough soldiers to take Eo, if certain NPC's were to be believed.

"Tokaroaka," Donovan said, his voice echoing down. He only knew one way to gather a large number of people. It was a gamble, but from what Donovan had seen so far of the kingdom of Delfanas, there were many desperate, displaced NPC's. And a desperation mechanic was exactly what Donovan was counting on.

"Yes my Count," Tokaroaka said, appearing at the base of the stairs.

"Use our spies to send out a message near and far. Anyone who is hungry, who has lost their homes, anyone who seeks salvation, and an end to their suffering, let them know that I am offering the answer. Tell them to come to the mountains of Eo. To gather before them with me and my armies. Together, we will all enter that paradise, and they will all be rewarded,"

Princess Esymia put a hand to her mouth, turning away and hiding her expression. Babi narrowed her eyes. Tokaroaka gestured at two of his sorcerers, then nodded up at Donovan. "Yes, it will be done at once,"

A commotion rose on the edge of the throne-room. Officials and generals hastened to get out of the way as large shapes flew in towards the columns. The shapes revealed themselves to be giant owls, six of them. They flapped their wings as they touched down into the room. Their talons and claws were encased in armor, and on their heads they wore curved helms. One of the owls, its fur white with black spots, bowed. The others followed suit. "My count," The owl said, moving its beak.

"What is it, speak,"

"I bring the winged army you sent to Caldus Bramble,"

"Where is the giant gargoyle?"

The owl bowed its head. "He leads the armies headed east master. I, Quick-Talon, led this mission,"

Donovan dismissed the issue with a wave. "Hm yes fine, well, what do you have to say?"

"The one known as Brianna, Queen of the Forest and Mother of Dryads, Sovereign of Caldus Bramble, has extended an invitation to you my Count. She bids you come visit her in her kingdom, for there is much to discuss. She only stipulates that you come in your castle, and leave the rest of your forces at the edge of her realm,"

"Good grief," Donovan said, massaging his temples. "Yes fine, where is Caldus Bramble,"

The Uhnut Master of Ships hurried to the base of the steps, carrying the hem of his robe. "Only a slight detour my Count!" He said eagerly.

"Change course then, I want to talk to Bri,"

Horns echoed from the warships to the transport ships. They turned in the sky, angling northwest as their engine crystals flared. The floating castle shifted as well, its banners fluttering violently in the wind.

It only took a few hours to reach the lands of Caldus Bramble. Large, singular mountains rose up around a never-ending forest. It was a temperate jungle, with the mountains serving as markers and sentinels. Donovan instructed the fleet to weigh anchor outside the forest and wait for him. Then he instructed Tokaroaka to take the castle further in.

The floating hive and fortress cast a long shadow as it traveled over the endless trees. The court waited in silence in the middle of the throne room as Donovan sat silently atop his throne. He watched the trees pass underneath, until the castle was joined in the sky by strange birds. They looked like multi-colored phoenixes, and were easily the size of one of Donovan's owls. They had riders on their backs, figures wearing skulls as helmets and holdings bows. The riders flew on ahead, fanning out and guiding the castle.

The rainbow birds dipped down towards a clearing in the forest. The castle followed, descending. It came to a rest a few feet above the ground, then lowered the drawbridge.

"Uncle!" Reqart said, rushing over to him. "May I come with you to see Aunti Brianna??"

Donovan put a hand to his chin, then nodded. "Very well nephew, you might convince her to see reason,"

"I'm going too then," Babi said, brushing her hair back. She fixed Donovan with a look. He didn't react, simply turning away.

"I would like to come too then, if I may," Princess Esymia said.

"Fine, whatever," Donovan said, leaving. "But we're going now,"

Donovan, Reqart, Babi, Princess Esymia, several knights, Princess Ninja, Tokaroaka, Gitch, Crooked-Fang and the Unfeeling One all gathered in the clearing. The bone-wearing riders watched from atop their birds, their bows held loosely in their hands. Figures emerged into the clearing, surrounding Donovan and his group.

"The hell," Donovan said, furrowing his brow in confusion. They appeared to be human women, but with feline ears and tails. They wore garments pinned around the shoulders, and bone jewelry with a variety of white ornaments. "Catgirls, are you shitting me?"

Several trees shook, drawing Donovan's attention. A striped predator cat the size of a large bus emerged into the clearing. Several catgirls rode on its back, all with spears. They one nearest the head of the giant cat pointed her spear into the woods. Donovan sighed and began trudging towards the treeline. His entourage followed.

As the group entered the woods, they were immediately made aware of more catgirls. They perched in shadows, watching from tree limbs, and gathered behind trunks while whispering. As the giant cat led them deeper, Donovan noticed corpses and skeletons nailed to the trees, almost as if to serve as warnings. He rolled his eyes, reminding himself it was just level design.

They emerged from the tangled woods into a valley. It was at the base of one of the mountains Donovan had glimpsed earlier from the distance. Leading through the clearing, up to the mountain, were stone ruins the size of a city. The giant cat led them down a path towards the stone buildings.

"This looking familiar?" Donovan said as Reqart walked beside him.

The boy made a thinking-face, then shook his head. "Hmm, no, but Aunt Brianna likes to move around a lot in her kingdom," Donovan simply nodded, absorbing the information.

In the ruins there were thousands of feline women. They gathered at the bases of buildings, in the archways, and on top of ruined towers. They all wore necklaces and bracelets of bones, and held bladed and hooked weapons. Their eyes glinted in the shadows as Donovan's group passed down the main street. The giant cat and its riders led them to the end of the city, at the base of the mountain. A large space had been carved into the base, almost like an amphitheater. Garlands, wreaths and banners were heaped around it, and baskets of flowers covered all the grass leading up to the large cut-out.

Something in the center of the amphitheater flashed, then lights appeared in the air. They gathered together, forming a single shining shape, then flashed once more. When Donovan lowered his arm, a giant woman sat cross-legged in the space carved into the base of the mountain. She wore layers of silken, shining robes over glowing skin. Strange spirits danced around her in a counter-clockwise circle, playing on instruments and waving twigs. The sitting woman wore a headdress like a gold, multi-layered tower. She opened her eyes, all four of them, or possibly just two, it was hard to tell. The woman smiled. "Hello Donovan," She said, her voice smooth like a river of honey.

Donovan took a deep breath, resting his hand on the hilt of his sword. "Hello Bri. It's been awhile,"

Last edited:
Episode 10: Brianna, Queen of Caldus Bramble!
10 Years Ago
Wind tore through Brianna Trenton's hair. She only saw darkness, as her eyes were tightly closed. She bobbed up and down to the sound of two massive wings. Slowly she opened her eyes. Small chainmail ringlets greeted her. Bri stared at the chainmail pattern, not daring to turn her head left or right. Her arms were tightly clasped around the large knight in front of her. The man smelled of sweat and metal, but Bri didn't care.

She rode on the back of a dragon as it flew through the sky. There were ten other dragons flying next to hers in a loose formation. Bri's friends, as well as the Delfanas royal family, rode the others. She didn't dare look at them however, instead staring intently at the chainmail of the knight in front of her.

They had been flying for hours. Bri's arms were sore from gripping the knight, and her legs were sore from the dragon saddle. Jarring thoughts and anxiety filled her mind, and if it wasn't for the sheer terror of the height they were at, she would have already broken down.

The dragon shifted in the air, angling towards the ground. The scaled creature flapped its wings, circling as it lowered. The other dragons followed suit in a line. Bri's dragon worked its wings hard as it touched down, sending gales of wind around her. When she felt the creature settle, Bri slowly opened her eyes.

They were on a wide, grassy hill. A single squat tree with a massive canopy dominated one side, with the dragons now occupying the other half of the hilltop. The knight in front of her expertly slid off the dragon, then turned and began untying the straps holding her legs to the saddle. Once she was free, Bri began trembling. The knight held up his hand and helped her down. The young woman immediately fell on the grass and clutched herself, shaking hard.

"Hey girl hey," Melissa said, running over and falling down next to her. Bri's girlfriend hugged her tightly as Bri began crying.

"I don't want to be here anymore," Bri said, pressing her head under Melissa's chin and sobbing. "I want to go home,"

"I know baby," Melissa said, stroking her hair. "We'll get out of this, I promise,"

Bri closed her eyes tightly and continued to cry. The mob of people at the castle had been too much. Their anger and desperation had felt too real. Nothing like that should ever been in any game. It was too much.

She heard footsteps, then Alyssa's voice. "Hey, is she alright?"

"No," Melissa said, continuing to stroke Bri's hair. "And I gotta be honest, neither am I," Melissa shifted her head. "Hey Grace, who's the girl?"

Bri opened her eyes, moving her head as she pressed it against Melissa's chest. She saw Alyssa standing nearby, as well as Grace and a young girl with long black hair and strange, stripped garments. Behind them the knights moved about the hilltop, securing their dragons and talking among themselves.

"Her name's Babi," Grace said, her tone sullen and tired. The young woman gripped a spear tightly in one hand, though her shoulders sagged. The girl remained close to Grace, two fingers resting on the spear as well, as if she wanted to grab it.

"Did you like," Alyssa said, gesturing vaguely in the air. "Want to bring her along or something? Because, I don't know if now's the time to be collecting Sim characters,"

Grace's expression grew angry, but it faded. "Guys," She said, looking down at Babi. "I don't know about this place anymore,"

"Yeah we know," Melissa said, sighing. "We all want to go home,"

"No," Grace said, closing her eyes tightly, then opening them. "I mean, I don't know…what's real,"

Bri raised her head slightly, confused. "Grace?" She said.

"Am I crazy?" Grace said, an anxious expression growing on her face. "I know Donovan has all his science explanations for why this is so real, but God you guys! This feels so real! The smells the people the," She paused, motioning in vain. "Gah I can't explain it! Tell me I'm not crazy!"

"You're not crazy," Alyssa said. She put her hands on her hips. "I honestly hate how real it is. But we can't get distracted now. We might never get out if we do,"

Melissa nodded. "I agree, there's all sorts of cute stuff running around here, but I can't get into it, or this whole world will be my new special interest soooo fast. And I've been off my addy for like, a bunch of days now,"

"Fine whatever," Grace said, dismissing the idea. "But I'm bringing her with me. This game is fucked up and I'm tired of it. So I'm going to keep Babi from having to kill demons, and I'll feel a little better. Is that a good enough reason to bring her along?" The last question had been a challenge. Grace narrowed her eyes as she looked at her friends in turn.

"Yeah okay," Alyssa said, nodding. "I get it,"

Bri straightened up from leaning against Melissa and sniffed. "What did you say her name was?"

Grace looked down at Babi, then put a hand to the girl's back and gently prodded her forward. "You want to introduce yourself to my friends?"

The girl's expression was hard to read. She looked blank, as if something had been hollowed out of her. Her two fingers resting on the spear were joined by the rest of her hand. She gripped the weapon as if it provided her courage. "I'm Babi," She said, her voice surprisingly confident for her vacant look.

"Hi Babi, I'm Alyssa,"

Melissa waved. "I'm Melissa, I like your hair," Babi's free hand strayed to her hair, as if remembering it was there. She looked at Bri, the last of the friends.

"Bri," She said, slowly getting to her feet. Bri took deep breaths as Melissa helped her raise her hands over her head.

Babi leaned close to Grace, her voice a loud whisper. "What's wrong with her?"

"P-panic attack," Bri said, sniffing loudly. Melissa counted on her fingers, helping her girlfriend regulate her breathing.

Babi furrowed her brow in confusion. "Adults can panic?"

"Oh yeah girl," Melissa said, nodding emphatically. "Like all the fucking time. Life is crazy you know?"

"She doesn't," Grace said, her tone protective. "They made her kill demons, and she's just a child. She has no idea what normal is,"

Alyssa put a hand to her face. "Grace, c'mon, don't talk like that,"

"Like what!" Grace said, turning on her friend.

"You know exactly what I mean. If you start talking like this place is real it's going to freak everyone out,"

"That's what I tried to tell you earlier! I don't know anymore what's real!"

Bri fanned herself with both hands, turning to Melissa and placing her head back on her chest. "I just need a minute,"

"Dude c'mon," Melissa said, gesturing at Bri. "You're not helping Grace,"

"It's not my fault Bri has a fucking meltdown every time she hears a sound!"

"Hey!" Melissa shouted back. "Watch it!"

"How are you not!" Bri screamed, turning on Grace. She motioned wildly with her hands. "How are all of you just dealing with this! Are you not aware what's happening to us! What's already happened to us! I'm not fucking crazy! This isn't normal! This should never happen to anyone!"

The hilltop was quiet save for the sounds of dragons snorting. The friends let the silence stretch, each of them looking miserable. Finally Alyssa exhaled slowly, nodding her head. "Okay, okay, here's what we're going to do. I'm going to try to contact Mark and the others on the HUD again, then we'll go talk to that king and see why all those people were angry," Bri and the others were silent as Alyssa waved her hand in the air and began moving her fingers. When she was done, she sent the message with a flick of her wrist and closed the HUD.

"Alright," Melissa said, putting an arm around Bri and shepherding her across the grass. "Let's go see what's up with the king guy,"

The king sat on a rock as dragon knights stood around him. The queen stood next to him, as well as his daughter. The knights parted as Alyssa led her friends to them. "Hey," Alyssa said. "We've got some questions," The king simply nodded, his demeanor that of a broken man. "What was that back there?"

Neither the king nor the queen answered. "The people of this kingdom have experienced much hardship," One of the dragon knights said. "The fields have been put to the torch by demons and raiders from the east,"

"So what," Alyssa said. "Are our friends in danger? Where are the demons? Is that why they're not answering?"

"No," The king said, his voice surprising everyone. "It is because of me you cannot reach the other heroes,"

The friends turned to him. "What do you mean," Grace said, her tone angry.

"I ordered them to be taken while they slept, and moved,"

"Why the hell would you do that!" Alyssa said, her face red. "How dare you!"

"He did it because of you!" The princess yelled back, equally angry. She was no more than fifteen, but faced off against the young women with her fists held tightly at her side. "The heroes are supposed to protect people, but you didn't do anything!"

The friends were caught-off guard. Neither the king nor queen added anything, and the dragon knights stood around equally quiet. Surprisingly, Bri found herself speaking first. "I'm sorry…that we can't do what you want us to do. But, you shouldn't have taken our friends. Please tell us where you took them,"

"Yeah" Alyssa said, still angry. "Where are they,"

The king shook his head. "They were to be brought north to the city of Phrumek, but the city was destroyed by demons. Our enemies grow bolder by the day, and we have heard no word from those they were traveling with,"

"Oh shit," Melissa said, putting a hand to her mouth.

Alyssa looked shocked, shaking her head. "Are you fucking serious,"

"We'll rest here for a bit," One of the knights said. "Then head east to the Risen Node of Galmesh, where it will be safe,"

Bri shared a look with her friends. "I don't like being separated, we need to find our friends,"

"Agreed," Alyssa said nodding. "We go look where ever they were last," She turned to the king. "Show us on a map exactly where you were taking them, and give us some of your dragons and knight guys,"

"He does not answer to you," The Queen said, clearly defensive of her husband.

"Do not test me," Alyssa said, holding up her palm. "My boyfriend's been teaching me some things, and you would not believe how powerful passive absorption makes us is this game when combined with the time-passes,"

"What the fuck do those words even mean Alyssa," Grace said, raising an eyebrow.

Alyssa flexed her fingers, still pointing her palm at the king. "It means Mark showed me how to kick some ass,"

The king hung his head, his voice coming out softly. "Please know that we are not enemies. I did what I did to save my kingdom. We only wished to give you pause before you went back to sleep, but things were already too far gone, and I did not realize it in time. Go, take whatever you need,"

"You are our enemy," Alyssa said, narrowing her eyes. "For kidnapping our friends. I will never forgive you for that,"

Bri noticed Grace was silent. The young woman stood next to Babi, still gripping the spear. Her other hand was placed protectively on the girl's back. "Grace?" Bri said. She got no response, Grace turning her gaze away.

"Let's go," Melissa said. "Someone get us that map and we'll start looking,"

Once again Bri found her eyes tightly shut as the wind whipped past her hair. The dragon shifted underneath as she gripped the knight riding in front of her. Bri opened her eyes just once. The countryside of Delfanas flew by in the fading sunlight. She closed her eyes again and redoubled her grip.

The dragon riders found a place to camp for the night and touched down as the sun disappeared beneath the horizon. Bri was mostly silent and withdrawn as the riders fed their mounts. Her friends were gathered close around a kindling fire one of the dragons lit. The girls all stared into the flames, shadows dancing on their faces.

Melissa stroked Bri's hair as she lay in her lap. Bri rested her head and kept her eyes closed, trying to block out the world around her. "Yo," Melissa said, nodding at Alyssa. "Were you really going to try and fight the king back there?"

Alyssa hugged her knees as she sat before the fire. Her head didn't move as she stared into the flames. "Maybe. If he was going to be a little asshole about giving us dragons,"

"What did you mean with all those nerd words when you said Mark taught you to fight," Grace said. She sat next to Babi, sharing a thick cape one of the knights had given them like a blanket. Babi rested against Grace, her head nodding slightly as she slept.

Alyssa gave a half-shrug, continuing to watch the fire. "That passive absorption thing Mark had us all activate. Apparently when you use it and time-pass, you grow stronger. But Mark was thinking since we've been going decades at a time, it's made us extremely…you know, strong,"

"I thought he also said something about us not leveling as much as if we didn't time-pass though,"

Her gaze finally left the fire, lazily going to Melissa. "I'm trying to remember what he told me, but it was a lot. The power accumulation during time-pass, it's an estimation right? By the game, I guess. But Mark didn't think anybody's ever time-passed for as long as we did, or really used the ability at all besides like, a very few specific situations,"

"So we've used it over, what," Melissa said, furrowing her brow as she thought. "Eighty years?"

Grace's face was guarded. "How much…power, do we have now?"

"You've got to go in your HUD," Alyssa said, waving her hand and summoning hers. "Then you visit the screen with the passive-absorption ability and…oh what did Mark say…" Alyssa moved her hand as she searched the images in front of her. "Here it is, the reservoir function. That's where it all accumulates. Once you select that, it activates everything you've stored so far,"

Bri opened her eyes and lifted her head. She watched as Grace held out her hand and summoned her HUD. The young woman held Babi close as she searched. Her hand finally paused, then slowly selected something. The air around Grace sparkled. She glowed, causing Babi to jerk awake and scramble away. The girl watched in awe as Grace lifted her chin to the nighttime sky and closed her eyes. Her glow intensified, then faded. Grace lowered her head and stared intently at her HUD.

"Damn," Melissa said. With a wave she opened her own HUD. Bri sat up, watching the HUD unfold. She could see Melissa's menu options, though they were hazy.

"Shit," Grace said, biting her lip. "I don't know what any of this stuff is. How am I supposed to know which one is the best?"

Babi slowly crawled back over to Grace, hugging her knees as she stared up at the HUD. She pointed. "I recognize that word. That's a spell I use,"

Grace studied Babi, as if appraising her. "Tell me about the other spells you use,"

Bri watched as Melissa flung her hand around wildly. Her girlfriend's HUD circled through lists of martial, skill and spell abilities. "Uggghhhh, you're right Grace, there's too much to choose from. And my tastes change every day, what happens if I choose something and don't like it?" Melissa paused, throwing up her hand. She slowly moved it, flipping back to an ability page. "Ooohhh, Bri check this out. Trickster skill, mischief spells, yes! That sounds fun!"

"No Melissa," Bri said, sitting up with a worried expression. "Don't choose those, they sound weird,"

"Too late," Melissa said, flicking her fingers. Lights flashed around her and she glowed. Melissa winked at Bri. "I threw everything into those two and strength and acrobatics, because I've always wanted to be a hot muscle woman in the Olympic village. Instead of you, you know," She gestured at herself. "A twiggy addict,"

"Don't say that about yourself," Bri said, hugging her tightly.

Melissa's glowing faded, and she made a sound of disappointment. "I didn't get any muscles! I got cheated!" She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. "I want my points back, call that Ozy guy,"

"Alright," Grace said, leaning down close as she and Babi stared up at the HUD. "There's that spell, so I'll chose that. What else do I need,"

"Well," Babi said, seriously pondering the question. "My brother's master, and mine…I guess, taught us that all great warriors need strength and speed, but the most important of all is endurance,"

Grace's hand moved through the air as her HUD shifted. "Found them," She selected several options, waving her hand around and making adjustments. "Strength, speed, but most of all by a long fucking shot," She flicked her wrist, and the option glowed on the HUD. "Endurance,"

"Alyssa what did you pick," Melissa said, closing out her HUD.

Alyssa rested her chin on her knees as she hugged her legs and stared back into the fire. "Oh I haven't really picked anything yet. I'm waiting until we find Mark then I'll have him help me with it,"

"Oh come on," Melissa said, rolling her eyes. She mimicked Alyssa. "gOnNa wAiT fOr My bOyFrIeNd,"

"Shut up," Alyssa said, smiling and hugging herself tighter. "I don't want to mess it up,"

Bri lay her head back in Melissa's lap and closed her eyes. The sounds of her friends talking faded as she drifted off to sleep. She slept hard, with half-finished dreams and strange noises plaguing her.

When she opened her eyes, the hard ground held her head. Bri sat up, her entire left side sore from where she had been lying. She looked around, finding the smoldering remains of the fire and the dark shapes of the dragons. It was still night, and the dragons lay on the ground in various positions. Bri slowly got up, looking around for Melissa. She didn't see her. She didn't see any of her friends.

"Melissa?" Bri said, her voice still tinged with sleep. "Where are you? Melissa?" She wandered around the campfire embers, pausing when she didn't find anyone. Bri glanced at the sleeping dragons. After hesitating, she slowly approached one. "Melissa? Alyssa? Grace? Where are you?" She came around the dragon as the clouds finished passing over the moons. Bright light shone down on the clearing, revealing a dead dragon with its throat cut wide open. Bri put her hands to her mouth and let out a muted scream. Stumbling backwards, she fell to the ground and backed away on the grass.

"Yess," said a soothing female voice. "They are quite dead by the looks of it," The voice had a strong southern accent, which absolutely confused Bri and prompted her to look up. A woman in a smart dress and jacket peered back down at her through stylish-rimmed glasses. She wore a wide-brimmed, floppy hat and smiled sweetly.

"W-who are you?" Bri said, scrambling in the opposite direction.

"Well you can call me Melody," The woman said, her sweet smile remaining. She held a small folded fan in one hand, then clasped it in front of her.

"Y-you have a southern accent,"

"Dallas darling, born and raised,"

Bri just shook her head. "Are you….are you trapped in this game too?"

The woman looked surprised, then bent forward and let out a laugh. "Oh no no nooo darling!" Melody straightened up. "I can leave this world anytime I want to! But why would I, I make such a fine Demon Lord after all…" The woman fanned herself with the closed fan.

Trembling, Bri slowly folded her knees and hugged herself. She continued to shake as she looked around. "M-Melissa? Melissaaaa! Where are you!"

Melody frowned, putting a hand to her hip. "I'm afraid your friends went out to investigate something earlier and the shadow got them,"

"Shadow?" Bri said, furrowing her brow.

"Oh yes," The woman replied, nodding. She leaned in close and lowered her voice like she was imparting a secret. "The shadow is very hungry. He can't be satisfied, try as I might. In fact, the more I feed him, the hungrier he gets,"

"Y-you," Bri said. "You killed the dragons,"

Melody smiled sweetly. "That's right, and their riders,"

Bri's head throbbed. She slowly gripped her hair, her vision growing blurry. "why…" She said, her voice shaky. "why would you do that…"

"Welll, it's complicated darling," Melody said, crossing her arms while holding the fan. "Really I didn't expect to find ya'll out here, but here you were! I had just finished some business up in Phrumek when I got word that some big ol' dragons were a' flapping around the sky! And what do I find but all you lovely little heroes along with them! Considering the hot water I'm in with the Demon King, I figured I'd just kill you all and get back in his good graces!"

Bri's eyes widened and her breathing grew heavy. She shook her head as she crawled backwards away from Melody. "no….no no no,"

"Ohhh yes yes yes yes," Melody said, clasping her hands sympathetically by her cheek. "But my, aren't you just the poorest little creature," A tearing sound was heard, then two long, white spider legs extended from her back. A moment later two more extended. All four spider legs were covered by what appeared to be flaky, white paste. The legs straightened, lifting Melody into the air. "Frightened of your own shadow! I knew I couldn't give you to my shadow, so I saved you for myself. Mama's gotta eat too, after all…"

The blood drained from Bri's face. "no," she whispered, crawling backwards. She turned over, stumbling to her feet, then ran. She tripped as she left the camp, regaining her footing and pumping her arms as fast as they would go. She heard Melody chasing after.

"That's it darling, keep running! Fear flavors, as they say,"

Bri closed her eyes tightly as she ran. "nononononono this isn't happening, this isn't happening," She opened them. "MELISSA! MELISSA HELP! SOMEBODY PLEASE!" Grass cut at her ankles as the uneven dirt beat at her feet. Bri continued through the darkness, calling out any name she could think of.

The young woman tripped and fell, twisting her ankle sharply as she tumbled down a slope. Bri cried out in pain as she hit the bottom of the grass. She lay there for a moment, dazed. The sound of Melody approaching prompted her to shake her head and roll on her stomach. With fierce desperation she crawled towards a distant line of trees.

"Oh my oh my," Melody said, her long spider legs carrying her down the slope of the hill. "Can't be having you go into the woods now can we?" Bri gritted her teeth and kept crawling. She couldn't explain why she was. She had never felt the desire to live so strongly. The terror was real, and stirring something deep inside her. With a cry she threw herself forward and rolled. Melody made a noise of surprise. "Oh no you don't!"

Bri watched the spider woman sprout more legs and chase after her. Her ankle banged against the ground as Bri rolled and she cried out in pain. A moment later her head slammed against a tree. Bri winced, curling up against the trunk in pain. She waited for Melody to grab her as she closed her eyes tightly. When it didn't happen, Bri slowly opened them.

Melody stood a safe distance away from the trees on the grassy slope. Her spider legs hung from her back like an eerie set of wings. Bri thought she glimpsed a massive shadow shifting underneath the demon lord. Melody smiled sweetly. "Oh look, you went and got away from me. That's what I get for playing with my food," The shadow underneath her shifted, rising off the ground like a thick, oozing mist. "But that's alright," Melody said, slowly sinking into the mist. "Once I mark a meal I never let it go. I'll be waiting for you little hero, when you leave the forest,"

The moon shown down on the grass. Neither Melody or the mists were there anymore. A sob built up in Bri, one of pain and fear and frustration. She slowly curled into a ball and cried.

Sometime later, she could not say when, Bri felt herself surrounded. She did not lift her head, continuing to lie in the fetal position. She had no tears left to cry, or any emotion really. Bri was empty, hollow. She didn't move as dozens of hands reached down and picked her up. She felt herself slide onto a mat, catching sight of a young woman with cat-ears and a tail. Bri closed her eyes, trying to blot out the world.

She felt herself being carried on the mat. For how long she traveled she couldn't say. Not even the strange cat noises she heard caused her to open her eyes. Finally Bri felt her mat being lowered, and a light shined through her eyelids. She opened them.

"Why hello," A warm voice said. It was a woman's, low and rich. Bri raised her head. A giant woman sat in front of her, cross-legged. She wore a flowing series of dresses, and had a four-cornered hat with a strange rise in the center. Her skin glowed, and her eyes shifted from two to four.

"no," Bri whispered, curling back up. "no more. No more, please,"

"You're scared," The woman said, her voice tinged with remorse. "The world outside these woods can be so cruel, can it not?"

"I just want to go home," Bri whispered. "Please, just let me go home,"

She felt a warm, soft hand curl around her. Bri was cupped into the air and brought close to the woman. Her skin radiated warmth, and the young woman felt calm for the first time since arriving in the world. "Little one, this can be your home,"

"It's not," Bri said, sniffing and wiping at the edge of her eyes. "I was kidnapped into this game, along with all my friends,"

"Life is indeed a cruel game," The giant woman said, stroking Bri's back with a single finger. "Who can truly escape it? I wish to as well. To go beneath the earth and enter the deep sleep as those before me have, but I have no successor," Bri said nothing, simply staring off, her mind elsewhere. "Perhaps you would like to be my successor,"

Turning her head, Bri looked up at the giant woman. "What?"

"I can see how tired your mind is. I wish to reach out and take your fragmented thoughts, but I cannot. What I can offer you, is safety, and an end to your fears and worries for as long as you desire,"

Bri continued to stare up at her intently. "What do you mean?"

"If you become the Queen of these forests, you will be untouchable. No one will be able to harm you, as long as you stay within the bounds of Caldus Bramble. Know that they are larger than many kingdoms, and your domain will stretch from the Adic mountains to the Omal plains,"

Bri took a deep breath. "I…can't. My friends are out there, and they're in trouble,"

"Bring your friends here," The giant woman said warmly. "You will be able to protect them. You will have power over everything in the forests and the rivers. Nothing will enter if you do not wish it,"

The young woman thought long and hard as she lay in the giant's hand. "If it's so amazing, why don't you want to do it anymore?"

The woman smiled down at her. "I am old, and as all my kind desire when they reach a certain time, I wish to dream of the eternal song, until it has played its last note,"

"You want to retire," Bri said softly, staring off at nothing as she lay against the warm hand.

"You are one who knows the danger of the outside world. I can see it in you, your great fear, all your hurt. You would be one who understood the importance of keeping the ones you cared for safely in the forests,"

Bri slowly sat up, her hair falling in a mess in front of her face. She brushed it away, then looked up at the woman. "Can you really take away all my fear?"

"Oh my beautiful child," The woman said, her warmth radiating. "I can make you a goddess of nature itself. And look, the nimble ones have come to pay their respects," Bri turned her head. She realized she was in a ruined stone structure, though its walls and roof were long-since gone. Gathered around the stones were figures, hundreds of them. They gripped weapons, and wore bleached-white bones. Bri thought she saw tails. "It is not often they bring someone to me," The giant woman said. "Most everyone who enters the forests they kill,"

Bri's mind went back to Melody the demon lord, and the one she called the shadow. The young woman slowly lay back down and closed her eyes, resting in the large, warm hand. The giant woman began to hum, rocking her gently. Bri enjoyed the serenity of the stone ruins, and the stilling of her mind. "I choose this," she murmured, falling into a deep, unending calm. "I don't want to be afraid anymore,"

Donovan stood before the giant, glowing woman, his champions and servants spread out behind him. The Count studied his friend and her new form. The spirits continued to dance around her in the air, playing instruments and throwing petals.

"You look," Donvan began, pausing. "Good. Have you been working out?"

Bri smiled down at him, her two eyes shifting to four, then back to two again. "I have found peace, and purpose. They call me Queen and Mother, and Sovereign. I am all these things now and more,"

"Yes and your humility remains wonderfully intact as well," Donovan said, his tone dry. "What are you doing here Bri?"

"I am the protector of Caldus Bramble," Bri said, opening her glowing arms wide. They briefly split into four arms, before collapsing back into two. "I am she who calls to the trees and causes them to dance. When the river dries it is so that I may cross. The winds blow for me, if they blow at all in these lands,"

"Yeah," Donovan said, his voice soft. "I get it, you developed egomania in here,"

"And you've been having fun as well," Bri said, raising a golden eyebrow. "Count Donovahn, he who destroyed the kingdom of Delfanas by burning its capital, then destroyed the enemies of Delfanas at the Risen Node of Galmesh. Truly you are a foe to all,"

Donovan's expression hardened. "Enough Bri, cut this coy fantasy shit and let's go home,"

Bri raised herself up, gazing down at Donovan with piercing eyes. It was everything he could do not to take a step back. "I will not be going anywhere. My home is here, and these are my people," A low hiss built up around Donovan and his entourage. He turned his head, spying thousands of catgirls watching from the shadows.

"And a fine people they are," Donovan said sarcastically. He opened his arms, dropping them to his side. "So that's it then? Bri Trenton stays in a game forever because she's worshiped by cat people?"

"Queen Brianna stays here because she is safe," The giant woman said, her eyes flashing. Her voice grew louder and harmonious. "I am the Sovereign of the forests, and mother to all within,"

"Fine," Donovan said, turning away. "I guess we're done here then,"

Bri's voice returned to a soothing pitch. "We are not done here. It is the first time I have seen you in ten years. You will feast with my kingdom and myself, and we will enjoy ourselves as good friends do,"

Donovan glanced over his shoulder at her. "I'm afraid I don't have time. I have an appointment at Eo to keep,"

"Perhaps I wasn't clear. You will be feasting with me, and there is no choice in the matter. All our friends used to visit me here in the beginning, but now they rarely come. But you have returned Donovan, and so now it will be like it was,"

The Count glanced around the ruins. There were thousands of the feline woman, all of them armed. Donovan narrowed his eyes as he looked back at Bri. "Fine," he said. "A quick feast then," Bri smiled, a dazzling and blinding sight.

It was certainly not a small feast. Donovan and his companions found themselves seated on one side of a very long table stone table. Bri's giant form sat in the middle on a large pillow. She was surrounded by offerings brought to her by the catgirls, and smiled down warmly as food was piled onto the table. Donovan eyed the other end, which was empty. "Are you saving seats for someone?" Bri turned her head and closed her eyes warmly, nodding. She then opened them and pointed across the table. Donovan followed her hand.

Entering the grassy clearing through a ruined stone archway was Grace, Seth and Mark. Donovan slowly stood. Grace was dressed in her full plate armor and carried her spear as she walked. Seth wore his ratty, long coat, as well as his blindfold. Mark brought up the rear, in a long flowing robe marked with strange symbols. "What is this," Donovan demanded, scowling.

"Look at us all," Bri said, her eyes closed again with a warm smile. She placed her palms together happily. "So many friends back together again, all safely here,"

"Father!" Reqart yelled, getting up from his chair and running around the table. Mark broke away from Grace and Seth and jogged to meet the boy. He knelt down and embraced Reqart as they met, hugging the boy tightly.

"Hello Brianna," Grace said, coming to a stop before the table and resting her spear at her side.

Seth nodded, stopping beside Grace. "Hey Bri, good to see you,"

"It has been too long," Bri said, opening her eyes. She leaned over the table, towering over them. "But look at you both! Come, everyone sit! We shall feast and enjoy ourselves as good friends do!"

Babi rose, coming around the table and running up to Grace. The two women hugged. Seth bobbed his head and approached the empty end of the table, sitting down enthusiastically next to Brianna's giant, glowing form. After a few moments Mark walked his son over as sat down next to them, followed by Grace and Babi. Donovan slowly sat back down as well. The two sides of the table stared at each other, the air suffocating in silence.

"Eat!" Bri said, her rich voice echoing around the stone ruins. "There is much to enjoy and it is all sweet and filling!"

"You are the same as ever then," Grace said, taking off her helm and setting it down by her chair. "Content to hide in your hole while the rest of us fix the world,"

"I create an oasis in a world of darkness," Bri answered, giving no indication she was offended. "All that come here with pure intentions will find sanctuary,"

Grace was clearly unimpressed. "The whole world could be a sanctuary, if you'd only step foot outside this place. She-Joker killed Melody the Demon Lord years ago, for what she did to us, and you. There is nothing to fear anymore," Clouds gathered overhead, blocking the sun and casting the clearing in gray. Bri gazed down at her lap, her glow flickering.

"Enough of this," Donovan said, standing. "I've tolerated this roleplay long enough. Now that we're all here, let's have a frank discussion about reality and fantasy,"

Mark slowly rose as well. "Donovan, I think it's time we had a long, overdue talk,"

"I don't see how," Grace said, raising an eyebrow. "Donovan's mind is clearly closed to all of us. He won't listen,"

Silence once again gripped the clearing. Donovan stared at Mark, who returned his gaze. Finally the Count turned and walked around the table. Mark started doing the same on his side. "Wait father!" Reqart said, following. "I want to come with you and Uncle!"

Mark paused, as if he was about to object, but then thought better of it. He waited for Reqart, taking the boy's hand and walking with him towards the stone arch. Donovan reached them and fell into step beside them without a word.

The two men found themselves in another grassy clearing, this time with several stone walls overgrown with flowers and ivy. A broken fountain rested in the center. A tree grew through it, splitting it down the middle and casting the stone walls in shade. Mark came to a stop at the fountain, as did Donovan. Reqart came to stand between the two men, looking at both and clearly unaware of the heaviness in the air.

"So," Donovan said, his voice low.

"So," Mark replied, staring down at the fountain.

Neither said anything for a few moments. Donovan shifted. "I know you're crazy powerful in this game, but you should know I'm still going to crash it. And if I can't, and find a way another way to leave, I'm taking Reqart with me. It's not right what you're subjecting him to in here,"

"Donovan," Mark said, slowly. "What would it take to convince you that this is not a game?"

The Count snorted. "You can't convince me to play pretend Mark. My mind simply won't let me. You saw those catgirls back there! I mean c'mon!"

Birds called out to one another from the tree and stone walls. Mark raised his head and stared into the distance. "Do you remember how we came here?"

"Sure," Donovan said, crossing his arms.

"How,"

"It was," Donovan paused, then rolled his eyes. "That's right, Melissa's art show,"

Mark was quiet for a few moments, then turned to Donovan. "Do you remember what happened specifically?"

Furrowing his brow, Donovan recalled the last things he remembered before waking up in the game. "The room," He said, slowly.

"The room," Mark repeated, his voice far-off and distant. "It seemed to stretch, and go on forever,"

"I had forgotten," Donovan said. He was silent for a moment, then shook his head. "We were drugged, that's all it was. I'm sorry Mark, but you're not going to convince me. Especially since you and Alyssa were stupid enough to drag a child into this," Donovan met Reqart's gaze, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I've grown fond of my nephew, and I want him to have the best chance at life he can have. That can't happen here in this game,"

Mark stared into Donovan's eyes, his expression a thousand emotions at once. Finally he knelt down next to Reqart and placed his arm around the boy. "Donovan, Alyssa isn't Reqart's mother,"

Donovan's world came to a screeching halt. "what," he said, his voice cracking. "w-who is…Grace?"

Mark shook his head. "None of our friends,"

Donovan's mind went blank. He took a trembling step backwards, shaking his head. "No, no I don't believe you,"

"It's true," Reqart said, confused. "What's wrong uncle…?" The boy's expression froze, then a look of terror crossed his face. "wait…" He slowly looked up at Donovan. "Am I a puppet uncle?"

Donovan's heart beat in his chest. He stared back down at the boy, feeling cold and empty. "No," He said, his voice strained. "You're not a puppet Reqart,"

You're not a puppet…

Last edited:
I'm still hoping it actually turns out to be just a game, even though it isn't going that way. Reqart just being a product of artificial insemination. Donovan's pure stubbornness actually ending up being the right call. Ahh, well.

I'm still hoping it actually turns out to be just a game, even though it isn't going that way. Reqart just being a product of artificial insemination. Donovan's pure stubbornness actually ending up being the right call. Ahh, well.

I was hoping that at first as well but now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for it to play out. Honestly, he could fall back on denial. There is like six different non-falsifiable hypothesis you could come up with and this being reality is only one of them. I was also hoping that Grace or Marcus were dressed up like the cover art for that game that was mentioned in the first chapter, so that he could have even more plausible reasons for disbelieving that this was reality in spite of all the evidence.

I was hoping that at first as well but now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for it to play out. Honestly, he could fall back on denial. There is like six different non-falsifiable hypothesis you could come up with and this being reality is only one of them. I was also hoping that Grace or Marcus were dressed up like the cover art for that game that was mentioned in the first chapter, so that he could have even more plausible reasons for disbelieving that this was reality in spite of all the evidence.

Definitely. His initial assumption that this was some big game by essentially the Illuminati is, to me, far more likely from a technological standpoint than an actual isekai situation. We can conceive of the level of virtual reality within a century that would allow this sort of thing, but teleporting to a fantasy world with magic? Pure fantasy so far. That his friends had their transcendental moment that changed their mind doesn't mean that Donovan should change his. He seems like a smart guy, and smart people are really really good at coming up with reasonable justifications for why they are right and everyone else is wrong regardless of the actual truth.

Another interesting twist could be that both are right. Perhaps many of the people around them are also slaves in a massive VR system, but the world itself is fake.

Last edited:
Sunk Cost Fallacy: in psychology this is generally related to cognitive dissonance theory, which is basically the idea that when people think of themselves one way but act in another way, they will try to rationalize it. Specifically, people think they make good decisions, but when the decisions aren't paying off, they throw more effort after it to make the decisions good rather than admit they made a bad decision.

now let's see if our Donny-boy will realize that he has been acting under a faulty premise that all his friends shared and will have a panic attack like all his friends had previously and then work to fix his mistakes...

or if he will pull a Captain Walker

"It takes a Strong man to deny what's right in front of him."

I'm rooting for Donovan in this especially if it turns out not to be a game. This entire world had eighty-something years to prepare for the apocalypse. Instead they kidnapped a bunch of people, handed them phenomenal cosmic powers and just twiddled their thumbs and hoped for the best until they had to teach little children how to fight because they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. And they have the gall to blame the "heroes" for this. Meanwhile, Donovan was able to build a viable army basically in his sleep based on nothing but vague instructions to actually do stuff. Donovan is exactly the hero they deserve.

As far as rationalisations go... Well, Reqart is obviously real, since he was able to gain a HUD. That could mean some Truman Show level fuckery on the part of the people in charge, if the child really existed in this world from birth. On the other hand, all these apparent "friends" that supposedly betrayed Donovan... They say they lost their HUD, but are they even real? Even with bullshit levels of technology, is something like a ten year difference in experiences even remotely probable? Or are his real friends trapped in nightmares of their own?

Plus, there was this female Demon Lord Melody who could apparently leave and go back to the real world anytime she pleased. Admin, anyone?

I'm rooting for Donovan in this especially if it turns out not to be a game. This entire world had eighty-something years to prepare for the apocalypse. Instead they kidnapped a bunch of people, handed them phenomenal cosmic powers and just twiddled their thumbs and hoped for the best until they had to teach little children how to fight because they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. And they have the gall to blame the "heroes" for this. Meanwhile, Donovan was able to build a viable army basically in his sleep based on nothing but vague instructions to actually do stuff. Donovan is exactly the hero they deserve.

As far as rationalisations go... Well, Reqart is obviously real, since he was able to gain a HUD. That could mean some Truman Show level fuckery on the part of the people in charge, if the child really existed in this world from birth. On the other hand, all these apparent "friends" that supposedly betrayed Donovan... They say they lost their HUD, but are they even real? Even with bullshit levels of technology, is something like a ten year difference in experiences even remotely probable? Or are his real friends trapped in nightmares of their own?

Plus, there was this female Demon Lord Melody who could apparently leave and go back to the real world anytime she pleased. Admin, anyone?

Ok, you can blame the regular peeps for using child soldiers, but they didn't stand around twiddling their thumbs. I mean they're not exactly immortal, and where exactly are they going to find someone adept enough at magic to go on par with the demon kings never mind the heroes???

Remember this is a kingdom with freaking Dragon Rider Elites, and they got ko'd by one (1) freaking demon rando. What do you expect them to do? Invent nuclear bombs?!?!

Are they going to start doing blood rituals and sacrifice virgins to get the power they need to defeat the demon king? By that point it'd be moot because then they'd be pass the moral horizon.

Although apparently they're not above using child soldiers...

Last edited:
Ok, you can blame the regular peeps for using child soldiers, but they didn't stand around twiddling their thumbs. I mean they're not exactly immortal, and where exactly are they going to find someone adept enough at magic to go on par with the demon kings never mind the heroes???

Remember this is a kingdom with freaking Dragon Rider Elites, and they got ko'd by one (1) freaking demon rando. What do you expect them to do? Invent nuclear bombs?!?!

Are they going to start doing blood rituals and sacrifice virgins to get the power they need to defeat the demon king? By that point it'd be moot because then they'd be pass the moral horizon.

Although apparently they're not above using child soldiers...
I'm just saying, Donovan's plans during his hibernation basically boiled down to: I want you to build me a Mordor, because it's cool. Here is how it looks and what it should do. Go nuts. Spoken to probably one of the least developed parts of the continent, on the authority of being a hero and liberal use of slavery spells. For something as well thought out as that, he isn't doing too bad on the military front. He even got his own flying laser castle. He could use some better elites to counter enemy powerhouses, but his plan originally relied on his friends to be that. If a complete ignoramus can manage this much in eighty years, I'm wondering where the actual forces of good have been hiding all this time. The ones built by people making informed decisions based on the politics of the land, on account of being natives. Are they the Emperor's demon army? Are they barricaded in Eo, weathering all the waves instead of defending the innocent? Are they holding back the tide of demons at the front and failing miserably while the people hold out for a fairy-tale?

If the answer to the last one is a bingo, I really have to question how that could have happened. Where are their airships? Their holy laser castles of cleansing? Donovan's underlings demonstrated that research into this is possible with the right motivation. With a looming demon lord, they should have plenty of that.

I'm just saying, Donovan's plans during his hibernation basically boiled down to: I want you to build me a Mordor, because it's cool. Here is how it looks and what it should do. Go nuts. Spoken to probably one of the least developed parts of the continent, on the authority of being a hero and liberal use of slavery spells. For something as well thought out as that, he isn't doing too bad on the military front. He even got his own flying laser castle. He could use some better elites to counter enemy powerhouses, but his plan originally relied on his friends to be that. If a complete ignoramus can manage this much in eighty years, I'm wondering where the actual forces of good have been hiding all this time. The ones built by people making informed decisions based on the politics of the land, on account of being natives. Are they the Emperor's demon army? Are they barricaded in Eo, weathering all the waves instead of defending the innocent? Are they holding back the tide of demons at the front and failing miserably while the people hold out for a fairy-tale?

If the answer to the last one is a bingo, I really have to question how that could have happened. Where are their airships? Their holy laser castles of cleansing? Donovan's underlings demonstrated that research into this is possible with the right motivation. With a looming demon lord, they should have plenty of that.

Were we reading the same fanfic? There was nothing well thought out about Don's Mordor, he literally pointed in a vague direction and his slaves said your will be done. If anything, his slaves should get the credit. He didn't even know he had a flying laser castle until someone told him. He certainly didn't plan for it.

If you must remember ripoff Mordor might have a fleet of flight ships, but not everywhere has the resources for this sort of mass army, and not everywhere subsists themselves on slave labor. And may I remind you that not only is everyone in fake Mordor slaves, but their standard of living probably sucks. Humans probably wouldn't have been able to live there, without a high level, because of all the pollution and heat.

Don literally slept for 8 days and woke up with a kingdom of evil handed to him on a platter, and it might not have been explicit but I'm sure eviler Mordor has child slaves and soldiers too.

Last edited:
Were we reading the same fanfic? There was nothing well thought out about Don's Mordor, he literally pointed in a vague direction and his slaves said your will be done. If anything, his slaves should get the credit. He didn't even know he had a flying laser castle until someone told him. He certainly didn't plan for it.

If you must remember ripoff Mordor might have a fleet of flight ships, but not everywhere has the resources for this sort of mass army, and not everywhere subsists themselves on slave labor. And may I remind you that not only is everyone in fake Mordor slaves, but their standard of living probably sucks. Humans probably wouldn't have been able to live there, without a high level, because of all the pollution and heat.

Don literally slept for 8 days and woke up with a kingdom of evil handed to him on a platter, and it might not have been explicit but I'm sure eviler Mordor has child slaves and soldiers too.
... Sorry, I was being sarcastic when I said "well thought out". I thought the rest of my post made this clear enough. This is exactly my point. They didn't need Donovan's instruction to build all this. So where is all the cool stuff the army of the kingdom could have built instead of sacrificing their mages on a hero summoning ritual and waiting for a miracle? With the fate of the world literally on the line, surely the populace could have stood some hardship. Hell, a lot of the resources Donovan used came from that kingdom.

... Sorry, I was being sarcastic when I said "well thought out". I thought the rest of my post made this clear enough. This is exactly my point. They didn't need Donovan's instruction to build all this. So where is all the cool stuff the army of the kingdom could have built instead of sacrificing their mages on a hero summoning ritual and waiting for a miracle? With the fate of the world literally on the line, surely the populace could have stood some hardship. Hell, a lot of the resources Donovan used came from that kingdom.

I mean, the way you went on about it, I thought you were actually saying something.

Anyway, what exactly could they do about it? So if they hadn't summoned the heroes 80 years ago? There'd be what? A few more mages 80 years ago?

This world isn't even industrialized, what exactly are you expecting a few kingdoms of farmers to do? Unionize? Mages aren't even common, and the literal Dragon Riders freaking died from one lowly demon lord. Regular old joe soldiers probably die from being breathed on too hard. These are literal base line humans that have to fight against demons.

Sure there are cat girls and elves, but what exactly are they gonna do? Fan service the demons to death? And before Donny, the humans, and other humanoids for that matter, were not on friendly terms with the Monsters. Heck, the Monsters probably would've joined forces with the demons.

And Enslavement isn't exactly a common spell.

I mean, the way you went on about it, I thought you were actually saying something.

Anyway, what exactly could they do about it? So if they hadn't summoned the heroes 80 years ago? There'd be what? A few more mages 80 years ago?

This world isn't even industrialized, what exactly are you expecting a few kingdoms of farmers to do? Unionize? Mages aren't even common, and the literal Dragon Riders freaking died from one lowly demon lord. Regular old joe soldiers probably die from being breathed on too hard. These are literal base line humans that have to fight against demons.

Sure there are cat girls and elves, but what exactly are they gonna do? Fan service the demons to death? And before Donny, the humans, and other humanoids for that matter, were not on friendly terms with the Monsters. Heck, the Monsters probably would've joined forces with the demons.

And Enslavement isn't exactly a common spell.
Simply insert a "not" in front of "well thought out" and that's what I was saying.

Let's examine the scenario. This is what we learn at the start of Episode 2:

"The next couple days were a blur for Donovan. He and his friends learned much, starting with their purpose in the world. They had been summoned to fight the King of Demons, a force of evil whose aim was to take the pure source of existence and plunge it into unending suffering and darkness. Donovan and his friends were tasked with becoming powerful warriors and combating the Demon King's forces when they arrived during future events referred to specifically as "The Events". No-one knew when these events might occur. It could be a year, or ten, or a hundred."

If that is true, then all the nations of the world who have a vested interest in their continued existence should pool their resources to try and find a solution. Instead, even now there is infighting going on. I am simply baffled that Donovan's forces have met with such success compared to the already established nations out there. All Donovan did was provide the impetus to actually start innovating. That's already a lot more than could be expected from a random young adult with no leadership experience and no vested interest in actually helping his kidnappers. If the "monsters" can achieve this in eighty years, what could the civilized countries accomplish if they tried? I think they could have done a lot better if they hadn't left the lion's share of the planning up to their inexperienced heroes.

I want to see Donovan take them all to task for not trying to message him or wake him up during the time pass. At any point they could have swung by Vashn or just left a bunch of notes in the HUD, but they didnt.

And I think they did it on purpose. Because when they let go of their old world, they realized Donovan never would. They couldn't have their fantasy land with Donny around, so they left him behind.

I want to see Donovan take them all to task for not trying to message him or wake him up during the time pass. At any point they could have swung by Vashn or just left a bunch of notes in the HUD, but they didnt.

And I think they did it on purpose. Because when they let go of their old world, they realized Donovan never would. They couldn't have their fantasy land with Donny around, so they left him behind.

I think you might be taking that thought a little too far. How easy is it to wake up someone you care about and inform them that "yeah, everything was real all along and you're literally Hitler 2.0, but like we love you man!" By the time the others actually knew that the world was real, at least two of them were out of commission entirely and the rest were embroiled in conflicts and kidnappings that probably took them across the ends of the world. In the time that they were actually able to wake him, as you suggest, they were also probably norming to the culture around them and seeing Donny as the "anti-hero".

Episode 11: Paradise Awaits!
Eight Years Ago
Mark Langley put a hand up in front of his face, pushing away a leafy branch. He pushed away another branch, and then another, ducking under the last one. Hilly Forest stretched out before him. In the distance, mountains formed a rocky wall. He walked out on a rocky ledge overlooking a ravine. The sound of a river drifted up to him from far away. Mark inhaled deeply, closing his eyes and enjoying the sounds.

"Marrrkkkkk!" A voice called.

He turned and cupped a hand to his mouth. "Over here! Watch your step as you get closer to the sound of my voice!"

A red and black blur broke through the branches, then Babi appeared in front of him. She straightened up, brushing at the dark red traveling cloak around her shoulders. "Found you," She said, smiling.

Mark laughed, crossing his arms. "Yes you did,"

The branches moved, then Grace emerged onto the rocky ledge. She wore a long traveling cloak around her shoulders as well, a dark blue one to match Babi's red. Grace smiled as she approached the girl and Mark. "It's beautiful up here," She said, brushing back a long strand of her hair.

"Isn't it," Mark said, gazing at the distant mountains.

Babi slowly approached the edge of the outcrop, peering over. She quickly jumped back, running to Grace and grabbing tight. The woman tilted her head back and laughed, pushing the girl away. "How are you afraid of heights now, in all truth you've ridden dragons and stood atop towers,"

"In all truth?" Mark repeated, grinning. "Grace, did I just hear you use a Delfanas phrase?"

"Shut up," Grace said, rolling her eyes. "We hear it all the time, of course I'm going to use it,"

Babi walked back along the outcrop and gazed down on either side. "How are we going to get down?" she said, looking over her shoulder at them.

Mark walked up to the outcropping, putting a hand to his chin as he thought. Snapping, he turned to Babi. "I've got it, I'll pick you up and throw you over,"

"No!" Babi shouted, gripping her fists at her side. "I don't want to be thrown! Asshole!"

"Hey!" Mark and Grace said together.

"When did you start swearing!" Grace said, tilting her head and putting her hands on her hips.

Babi raised her chin and glanced away, as if she were too good for such things. "I hear it from you big sister,"

"Ha!" Mark laughed. "She's got you there Grace, you swear like a sailor,"

Grace sniffed, crossing her arms. "I'm actually perfect, which you'd know Mark if you had any sense or class,"

Mark's jaw dropped, then he laughed. "What on earth is that supposed to mean!"

Grace raised her chin and walked forward, pausing by the edge of the ravine. "It means I'll see you two at the bottom," She turned and stepped out into the air, falling straight down.

"Grace!" Babi yelled, wide-eyed. Mark was shocked as well. They ran up to the ledge and looked over. Grace was below, bouncing from rock to rock with superhuman skill and agility. She landed at the bottom, straightening up and glancing at Mark and Babi.

"I'm waiting!" Grace yelled, waving.

Mark let out a laugh. "Show off," He said, exchanging raised eyebrows with Babi. He waved his hand through the air. Small white clouds appeared in front of him. They circled together, forming a larger cloud. The puff of white lowered to the edge of the outcropping. Mark presented it to Babi with a flourish of his arm. "After you,"

Babi approached the cloud and cautiously stepped onto it. "Are you sure it's not going to be like last time?"

"Welll, let's hope not," Mark said, joining her on the cloud. "These things are harder without the HUD you know, I'm having to relearn everything,"

"I hate falling," Babi said, clutching his robe with one hand for support. "And you're bad at magic," The cloud lowered down into the ravine, depositing the pair at the bottom.

Grace gave them a haughty gaze, a hand on her hip. "Took you long enough,"

Mark waved her away with a smirk, then turned and gazed around the ravine. "Well, I don't see any sign of her,"

Grace strolled past him, lowering down to one knee. She closed her eyes and murmured a spell. The air around her shimmered. Grace straightened back up. "If Melody and her shadow have come through this way, it wasn't recently. No trace,"

Mark sighed. "Well, the trail's gone cold then. Do we keep heading east?"

"We're certainly not headed north," Grace said, regarding the distant range of mountains. Babi started walking along the ravine, picking up rocks she liked and pocketing them in a pouch she wore under her cloak. Grace watched her. "Babi! Don't get too far away!" The girl waved over her shoulder in response, bending down to inspect another rock.

Mark reached into his cloak and took out a map. Unfolding it, he turned it around until he was viewing a sketch of the surrounding country. "If she's not here, and Justin and Seth haven't seen anything to the south, then that means…"

"She could be west," Grace said.

"West is Caldus Bramble and the plains tribes. Any further than that and she'd be in Vashn. And from what I've heard Donovan's sorcerers would catch onto a demon lord in their midst pretty quickly."

Grace glanced down at her traveling boots. "We're going to have to address that someday, you know. Him. Vashn,"

"One thing at a time," Mark said, softly. "We've got to do something about Melody so we can help Bri," Grace nodded, though she looked miserable. Mark placed a reassuring hand to her shoulder. "We'll get through this Grace. We're getting stronger every day,"

Grace gave him a small smile. It faded as she grew serious. "If we're ruling out the west, which I'm not completely convinced of yet, then that leaves the east,"

"Melissa," Mark said, thinking.

"She'd be more than happy to run into the demon lord," Grace said sullenly. "I'm just not sure she's even herself anymore,"

Mark raised a gentle eyebrow at her. "We'll worry about Melissa after Bri,"

"I can have more than one worry," Grace shot back. "One of our friends is asleep, the other's shut herself off, the third can barely hold a coherent conversation anymore, and I can't even bring myself to think about Kaylee! That leaves you, me, Seth and Justin," Grace crossed her arms. "Out of those two I only trust myself and you,"

"Seth's unbelievably talented in combat," Mark said. "And Justin is doing just fine. More than fine, he's more popular with the people than any of us,"

"But you and I are doing all the hard work,"

Mark's expression fell. "Grace c'mon, we're all pulling our weight. What's really on your mind?"

Grace was silent, fighting with something she wanted to say. She started, then stopped, then shook her head. "Nothing. How are you doing since you and Alyssa…you know,"

Mark gave a short laugh. After a moment reminiscing, he shook his head. "Who we were when we entered here....it's not the same as who we are now. Both Alyssa and I feel that way, and that our paths are diverging,"

Grace was about to say something, but Babi's voice interrupted her. "Sisssttterrrrr! Marrrrkkkk!"

Pebbles exploded as Grace took off in Babi's direction. Mark sprinted after her. The pair moved along the ravine as it bent. Both skidded to a halt as they came around the corner.

Babi stood in the middle of a clearing in the rocky woods. A gentle brook fell down the side of one of the outcrops. The girl held a spear made of light in one hand, pointing it across the clearing. On the other side stood two figures. Both were tall, and wore intricate traveling cloaks. Their faces were obscured by hoods. One of the figures had a sword drawn at his side.

"Babi hold on!" Grace yelled, racing to meet her. She summoned her spear with a flick of her wrist, grabbing it and coming to a stop next to the girl. Mark jogged up behind them.

The two figures remained where they were. The one with the sword raised it ever-so-slightly. The other figure bowed its head, the hood going lower. "Hello," Mark called across the clearing. His voice echoed around the rocky walls. "My name's Mark, this is Grace, and this is Babi. Who might you be?"

Instead of answering, the figure with the sword disappeared in a flash. He reappeared next to Grace, knocking her spear from her grasp with his hilt. In the blink of an eye he lashed out again, knocking her back. She hit one of the outcrops, dislodging dirt and stones onto her head.

Mark threw out his arm and invoked a spell. Fire twirled around him, then shot out towards the sword-user. The figure flashed around the clearing, disappearing and reappearing as the fire turned aimlessly. It petered out, dispersing smoke as it did.

Wasting no time, Mark summoned three spells one after the other. The first was a wind-spell, sending a forceful gust through the clearing and blowing away the smoke. Next was a lighting spell. A spot in the sky darkened, then three bolts rained down. The last was an earth spell. Dirt formed into sharp stakes, shooting out in a swarm. When the dust settled, Mark looked for his assailant.

A sword point raised to his throat. Mark glanced sideways, finding the robed figure next to him. "Ah," Mark said, tilting his head back as they pressed on the sword.

"Don't touch him!" Babi screamed, thrusting with her light-spear. The figure blinked, appeared behind her, and tossed her to the side. With a shimmer the sword-user returned beside Mark with the sword at his throat.

"That's quite enough," A fair voice said, drawing Mark's gaze. The other robed figure lowered their hood, revealing the most beautiful woman the man had ever laid eyes on. Her hair was long and golden, and her ears stuck out at a point. A glowing rune worked its way up her throat, fading every time it pulsed. The figure next to him kept the sword at his throat.

"We should kill them," The sword-user said, his voice lower, but still as rich as the first figure's.

Grace extracted herself from the rocks, staggering as she stood. "We're not enemies, get your sword away from him!"

"You might be if you knew who we were," The male figure said. Mark glanced at him out of the corner of his eye. The sword-user's face was covered by the hood.

"Just leave us alone!" Babi yelled, scrambling over. She clutched her traveling cloak to her, stopping a stone's throw from the robed figure.

"Calstar, please," The robed elf said. "Let us make peace with them, if they wish it,"

The sword-user raised his head in his hood, revealing a similar face to the first elf. His was marked in delicate patterns, forming a crosswork of rune lines. With a look of contempt, he twirled his sword and sent it back into its scabbard. He turned and walked over to the female elf, standing next to her. "Forgive my brother," She said, bowing her head. "I am Gwelenaen, and this is my brother Calstar," The male elf brushed back a lock of his hair, clearly uninterested in the conversation.

"Your brother could learn manners," Grace said, bending down to check over Babi.

"Watch your tongue," Calstar said, lifting his nose to Grace. "You speak to the Prince of the Guardian line of Sarius, rightful head of the Arch-Guardians and heir to the title of Guardian Supreme,"

Grace finished brushing out Babi's hair, then straightened up. "That's quite a mouthful,"

"Please," Gwelenaen said, lowering her head. "We wish only to pass safely to the lands of Bool. We are pursued by the other guardian lines,"

"Traitors," Calstar said, gritting his teeth.

Gwelenaen raised her head, looking at Mark earnestly. "Our plight is our own, we will not trouble you with it. We will take our leave now, may you have luck on your journey,"

The elf made to raise her hood, but Mark shifted. "Wait," He said. Grace looked at him, confused. He didn't notice as he stared into Gwelenaen's eyes. "We're heroes, perhaps we can help,"

"What!" Grace said, incredulous. "Mark! Bool is to the south! We're headed east!"

"I would not want to travel with a rabble such as you," Calstar said, his voice dangerously low. "Do not even entertain the idea,"

"You said you were being pursued by Guardians," Mark said, gesturing. "Those are other elves like you, right?"

"What are, elves," Gwelenaen said, her face briefly confused.

"My point is we have powers and abilities too,"

Calstar snorted. "Though I am the strongest Guardian and easily bested you, you would not even last against the weakest,"

"Mark stop it," Grace said, growing angry. "What are you doing, we have to find Melody and save Bri first,"

"I think we can help each other," Mark said, turning to Grace. He lowered his voice. "They're from Eo,"

"So?" Grace said, unimpressed.

"So they're obscenely powerful," Mark said. "C'mon, we could learn from them. Grow stronger,"

"By taking a detour south? No!"

Mark exhaled, giving her an earnest expression. "The more we learn about this world, the more we learn how tied up everything is to that forbidden land. And now we actually meet royalty from there. This could be it Grace. This could be the way we fix everything," Grace looked unsure, hesitating. Mark put a hand to her shoulder. "It will be fine, I promise. Melissa can handle Melody. And if not, we'll travel east afterwards,"

"If Melissa gets hurt," Grace said, holding one of her arms.

"She won't. You've seen how she fights,"

Grace glanced at Babi, then met Mark's eyes. She didn't say anything for a long time. Finally she nodded. "Okay. Let's do it,"

Mark's words echoed in Donovan's ears. He seemed light-headed. He felt for the ledge of the fountain, slowly sitting. "Uncle?" Reqart said, coming up beside him. Donovan lowered his face into his hands.

Mark slowly sat down next to Donovan, threading his hands together and leaning forward. "When we woke up from the last time-pass we took, we found ourselves in a different location. We had been kidnapped by the King of Delfanas, in an attempt to keep us from time-passing again. He hoped to convince us to defend the kingdom from the demons of the Eastern Empire," Donovan said nothing, his face still buried in his hands. "The girls were in the capital during a revolt. They barely escaped with their lives. Then, they were attacked by a demon lord named Melody," Mark paused, staring down at his threaded hands. Reqart, unsure of what was happening, came around his father and sat on the ledge with him. "After that, Bri found herself in Caldus Bramble. You've seen what became of that. She won't leave," Mark took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. His voice grew distant. "While we were searching for Melody, I met Reqart's mother. Her name was Gwelenaen. She was beautiful Donovan, kind, with a heart that had room for the whole world and every creature in it," Mark paused, letting the silence stretch. After awhile he started talking again. "We all came to the same conclusion eventually, each in our own way. Grace was the first to start doubting this place was a game. Then me, Alyssa and Melissa. I don't think Bri every really cared. Justin was convinced last. As for Seth, he probably always believed. Reqart came into the world shortly after, and by then we were dealing with the aftermath of Melody's actions. She'd been giving the Eastern Empire access to demons, and by the time She-Joke-, I mean Melissa, took her down, the damage had already been done. Everywhere you looked there was devastation and death," Mark shook his head, then sighed and straightened up. "We're trying to fix it now, but the Empire's unrelenting. And they're far from the only enemy. We fight for the Kingdom Alliance, because they summoned us. But the problems are everywhere,"

Donovan kept his face buried, his thoughts churning. Reqart leaned forward, looking past Mark at the man. "Uncle, are you alright?"

"no," Donovan said, his voice muffled. "I'm not,"

"Reqart was only two years old when Gwelenaen was stolen from us. Her brother found a way to become Guardian-Supreme by disposing of the Arch-Guardians. He did this by promising Reqart's mother to a powerful Spirit Lord. She refused, and Calstar, her brother, has kept her sealed away until she changes her mind,"

"Mark," Donovan said, his voice still strained. That was the only thing he said.

Mark rested a hand on Donovan's back. "When you came out of your time-pass, we were trying to stop both the Eastern Empire's advance on Delfanas, as well as Calstar's mad plans for the Guardians in Eo. Now though, it's all collapsing. We need your help Donovan. If we can unite Esymia's Guardian line with the heir to the golden towers through marriage, we might have the ability to stop Calstar and his allies from hurting a lot of people. And if Justin and She-, Melissa, are successful in the east, we might finally put an end to all the damage Melody caused. Your plan to enter Eo, it will never work. There's a single gate, and it has not been breached for two-thousand years. Neither you nor your army will accomplish it. I have been trying these last seven years to find a way in…" Mark turned to him. "So come back to us Donovan, and join our fight. Help us stop Calstar and the Eastern Empire. What do you say?"

Donovan lifted his face from his hands, his face drained of color. "what do I say?" He repeated, shocked. Before anything else could be spoken, an explosion shook the ground. The tree above the fountain swayed, causing leaves to rain down. Donovan, Mark and Reqart all stumbled from the fountain edge.

"Father!" Reqart yelled, standing. "What was that?"

"I don't know," Mark said, helping up Donovan. "But I have an idea, come on," With Mark and Reqart shepherding him along, Donovan returned through the stone archway into the main feasting area. Another explosion rocked the center, followed by a cloud of smoke.

Bri, her giant, glowing form towering over the area, roared as her four arms made fists. She brought them down, narrowly missing Grace as the armored warrior leapt away. Grace landed, skidding to a halt on the grass. She pointed her spear at Bri. Geometric symbols unleashed another volley of explosions.

Reqart pointed. "Aunt Bri and Aunt Grace are fighting!"

"Damn it all," Mark muttered.

Seth appeared between Mark and Donovan, throwing his arms around both of their shoulders and watching. "Hey guys," He said, bobbing his head to some unheard beat. "Things are getting pretty wild here,"

"Who started it," Mark said, breaking away from Seth's arm to intervene. He was forced to stop as Bri clapped all four hands together and sent a shockwave through the clearing. Everyone present was knocked over.

"Had enough yet!" Grace yelled, leaping into the air and lashing out with her spear. More explosions followed.

"How dare you!" Bri roared. She swiped at Grace, then sent a stream of spirits at her. "I allow you in my domain, and this is how you repay me!"

Grace landed, twirling her spear. "Oh get off your high horse! You think you can just wait out everything in your little forest kingdom? Open your eyes Brianna, the world's coming right to your doorstep!"

"And that is where it will stop!" Bri said, her eyes engulfed in flames. She raised a fist, bringing it down and forcing Grace to dodge out of the way. "I only wish for all of us to be together again, safe! Perhaps I will keep you all here!" Bri opened her four palms to the sky. In response, a thousand wiggly shapes appeared, glowing brightly before disappearing. The ground shook, then trees and other wildlife sprouted up at a rapid rate. Their trunks and flowers expanded, cracking the earth and sending up cascades of dirt and stone.

Donovan felt himself fall. His mind still reeled, the chaotic events around him doing nothing to break him from his trance. Darkness closed in, then a scaly claw reached down and gripped his arm. Donovan felt himself lifted up, then emerge back into sunlight.

"Master!" Crooked-Fang yelled, pulling Donovan to his feet. "We must leave this place!" The young man said nothing as the Montre commander rushed him away. The ground continued to shake as more and more greenery sprouted. Donovan and Crooked-Fang were joined by the others in his party as they fled the ruins.

It was a mad dash. The catgirls ran as well, reaching the treelines and disappearing into the darkness of the forest. The ground upended behind them, vines swirling up and exploding with flowers.

For how long they ran, Donovan couldn't say. Someone helped Crooked-Fang carry him as the ground became a flowing river of dirt and debris. The trees continued to grow around them, slamming into each other and breaking apart violently. Bark and splintered trunks flew around as if caught in a tornado.

The floating castle came into view. It shook as several large boulders slammed into the hive beneath it, breaking away a chunk. Donovan was hurried to the drawbridge and up it. "REQART!" A voice yelled. Donovan slowed, turning despite Crooked-Fang urging him onward. Behind Donovan were his servants. Among them was Reqart, flanked by Princess Ninja.

In the entry to the clearing was Mark. He yelled Reqart's name again, struggling to stand upright as a fierce gale surged. Trees expanded and exploded behind him. Reqart walked a few steps down the drawbridge, Donovan's servants parting for him. The boy paused and cupped a hand to his mouth. "I'm going with Uncle!" Reqart yelled. "I'm going to save mother!"

"NO REQART!" Mark yelled, trying to fight his way through the gale. "IT WONT WORK!"

"Uncle promised!" Reqart shouted back, his posture insistent, defiant. The boy waved. "I'll bring her back! Just wait!" He turned and started up the drawbridge, Princess Ninja shielding him from the wind.

"REQARRRRTTTTTT!" Mark yelled, grasping in the direction of the floating castle.

Reqart came up to Donovan, who gazed down at the boy with a dazed face. The boy smiled up at him and took his hand, leading Donovan the rest of the way up. Darkness swallowed them as they entered the castle.

In the throne room, Donovan stopped allowing Reqart to guide him. The castle lifted up, rapidly leaving the forests of Caldus Bramble. Donovan took his hand away from the boy and slowly made his way to the steps of his throne. He sat on the bottom step and stared straight ahead.

"My Count!" Tokaroaka said, coming up to him. "We ensured Princess Esymia was brought with us. She is safely in comfortable quarters, you need not fear!

The Master of Ships flanked the sorcerer, looking worried. "We will rejoin the fleet soon my Count," the robed Uhnut said, wringing his hands. "Would you like us to head north then?"

Donovan said nothing, continuing to stare straight ahead. "Master," Tokaroaka said, coming up before him and kneeling. "My spies have spread the word to all the surrounding lands that you offer salvation to those willing to journey for it. Many have received the word and flock to join us,"

The young man's eyes slowly blinked, his gaze far-off. Crooked-Fang and several other officials were also present. The Montre Commander approached, banging his trident to his chest in a salute. "My armies are ready master, I will stop at nothing to enact your will. Just give us the word,"

The servants waited, the silence stretching. Donovan made no movement, no noise. An official coughed, the sound echoing around the columns. "How long will you wait around like meek dogs," A voice said. "Before you do what we have been ordered," Lyra emerged from between two commanders, brushing past them and coming to a halt next to Tokaroaka and the master of ships. "He has told us that we are headed for Eo, and so that is where we will head,"

"Quiet you," Crooked-Fang said, curling back his lip. "You do not speak for the master,"

"I remind you what he has already said," Lyra said, coming around to Donovan and standing beside him. She put her hand on his shoulder, staring down the other servants. "Who among you has not heard him speak of his goals? Who can claim ignorance to what he desires?"

"So then let us hear it from him!" Crooked-Fang yelled, his voice booming around the throne-room. "Not from you!"

Tokaroaka, the master of ships and Crooked-Fang all glared at her. Lyra was undaunted, raising her chin and keeping her hand on Donovan's shoulder. "Why are we discussing this?" A small voice said. The officials and commanders turned to see Reqart standing nearby. Princess Ninja loomed behind, gazing down on all before her. The boy tilted his head. "My mother is in Eo, father said so. We must go there,"

Tokaroaka and the master of ships exchanged looks. "You are not the Count," Crooked-Fang said, though his tone wasn't as harsh.

"Do not question me puppet," Reqart said, a smile on his face. Crooked-Fang made a noise of surprise, taking a step back.

"You have heard it then," Lyra announced, looking at all the servants in turn. "We head for Eo, as planned. Does anyone question our Master's orders?"

No one said anything. "Everyone get ready then!" Reqart said, his cheery voice echoing off the columns.

"Perhaps," Tokaroaka said, regarding Donovan. "We should not be so quick to leave the Count. He appears distressed,"

"Perhaps being alone is exactly what the Count requires," Lyra said. Tokaroaka didn't respond, his mask hiding his expression. Lyra bent down next to Donovan, moving until she was in his vision. "Master, would you like to be alone?"

Donovan's eyes focused, recognizing Lyra. "you," He said, softly.

Lyra straightened up. "He wishes to be alone. Leave us," Crooked-Fang looked ready to protest. The Master of Estates stared down the Montre-Commander. The lizard narrowed his eyes, casting a final look at Donovan before leaving.

Reqart approached, taking Donovan's hand. The boy had a worried look on his face. "Uncle, what's wrong?" Donovan's head slowly sank. Reqart patted it. "I'm going to visit Princess Esymia and make sure she's alright. I'll be back,"

Reqart left the throne room, Princess Ninja waiting for him to pass and then following behind him. Donovan was left alone with Lyra. The woman stared down at him. Nothing was said for some time.

"real," Donvoan whispered. "all of it, real,"

"Master," Lyra said, her voice tinged with concern. "Please, share your burden with me. What troubles your thoughts so,"

"I enslaved entire generations," Donovan said, staring past Lyra. He trailed off. More silence stretched, until the man shook his head. "I had people killed in my name. I waged war and built weapons. The whole time people died in droves," His gaze slowly traveled up until he stared at Lyra. "I'm surrounded by people who are forced to serve me with everything they have. They'll do anything for me, even if I tell them to jump off a bridge," He fell silent, his eyes searching hers. "I raped one of them,"

"Master!" Lyra said. "What are you saying!"

"I'm saying I'm a monster!" Donovan screamed, tears streaming down his face. "I've done unforgivable things because I didn't think any of it was real! I thought it was a trap! A game! And now I find out it was all true! That those were people!" He slowly fell forward off the bottom step, sinking to his knees. "I just wanted to go home. I didn't want to fight the Demon King, or whatever they needed us for. I thought destroying Eo might end this world." Donovan gripped his face and let out an anguished yell. "I gambled everything on it!"

Lyra stared down at him with an unreadable expression. "No," she said, her voice oddly strained. "You're not a monster, you're the lord of Vashn, the conqueror of all," She took a step back. "He who raised the dark towers of the land and dug the rivers of lava,"

"no," Donovan said, burying his face again and shaking it. "None of that should have happened. I wouldn't have done any of it if I had known,"

"N-no," Lyra said, her face working hard to stay calm. "Stop speaking like that!"

Donovan slowly rose to his feet, his head lowered. He held out his hand. "I call upon the power of my own name. Unbind this one from my will, and cleave our union," Lyra's face froze. Donovan lowered his hand and slowly sat back down on the bottom step. "Your mind is free now," He said, his voice quiet. "Now do you understand what I have done,"

Lyra stared down at him, her face clouded. When she finally spoke, her words came out quiet, strained. "When I was just a little girl, I watched my eldest sister killed for speaking out against the Quarry-Master during a meeting of the Vashn high council. When I was just a little older, I witnessed a man crushed under a wagon for daring to step on a passing sorcerer's robe," Donovan stared up at her, his brow furrowed. "My second eldest sister was killed by an assassin. My third died of black lung. My last sister killed herself, so that I would not have to do it," Lyra met his gaze. "There could only be one Master of Estates, as you know. The land of Vashn is cruel, as is the city of Mordor. Our lives are worth no more than a pack-beast there. After my last sister's death, I gave everything to be where I am now. There is only one way to live well in Vashn. And that is by pleasing the Master,"

Donovan's head sank back into his hands. He shook it, his voice anguished. "I don't know what to do…I don't know what to do!"

Distant horns sounded, drifting through the columns of the throne room. The sounds of steps reached Donovan's ears. He heard Tokaroaka's voice. "Master, we are arriving at the plains of Eo,"

"what have I done," Donovan whispered, gripping his face.

"Come with me," Lyra said. Her tone held an edge. Donovan raised his face from his hands. More distant horns sounded, and a distant roar built. The Master of Estates took his hand. Donovan hesitated, then slowly rose. Lyra turned and walked with him across the throne-room.

The roar built as they neared the opening. The Vashn ships now blew their own horns, beating drums and calling out to one another. Lyra and Donovan reached the opening in the throne room. The Count gazed out of the castle at the land below.

Dominating the horizon were mountains stretching until they disappeared in either direction. Their peaks rose up to impossible heights, disappearing among the clouds. Before them was a rolling plain, stretching out away from the mountains.

Filling the plains were a sea of people. More people than Donovan could possibly count. They yelled and screamed and cheered. Their voices carried up in waves to the castle, rising and falling with the horns and drums. Tokaroaka came up behind Donovan. "Over a million people have traveled from all the surrounding kingdoms my Count. They wish to enter Eo with you, and seize paradise, as you have promised,"

Lyra came up and rested her chin on Donovan's shoulder. She whispered in his ear. "One million desperate, hungry people my Count. Ready to do anything for a chance at ending the misery they've endured," Donovan gazed down upon the thousands upon thousands of colored figures. They continued to yell and chant as they filled the plain. Lyra came around him, facing Donovan. "Since I was a child I served you because I had no choice. The world was cruel, and death was constant. But as I grew older, I began serving you for a different reason," Donovan stared into her eyes as he listened. Lyra glanced at the mountains in front of them. "You asked me what you should do. I will tell you; do what you have always intended. Break through those mountains, and burn the world down around you. Grind it to ash, and start over anew,"

"what?" Donovan said, struck.

Lyra approached him, taking his hands and holding his gaze. "I will always be with you my Count. I will never leave your side. I have sacrificed everything for you," She came around the side of him, slowly holding her hand over the millions of frenzied people below. "Together, we will end this world," Donovan slowly tore his eyes away from Lyra. He stared down at the masses. They heaved and expanded as they chanted.

In the distance, the mountains of Eo loomed.

Last edited:
Ah, he's had his big BSOD just in time for the final battle. How will he win this one?

Edit: Lyra backstab when?

Last edited:
Episode 12: The Plains of Eo
Three hundred warships fanned out across the plains of Eo. Behind them, the transports moved in lines. On the plains below, thousands upon thousands of people of every species made their way across the grass. The flying castle flew above everything in the middle, keeping watch over the procession.

Donovan slowly walked back to his throne. He hung his head as thoughts fought each other for dominance, his cape dragging behind him. Lyra and Tokaroaka brought up the rear. "I trust you have found a way to feed all these people," The sorcerer said, his tone rebuking. "If they turn on each other, or us, they will be of little use,"

"Worry yourself with weapons magi," Lyra replied, her tone also one of rebuttal. "I will do my job,"

Donovan paused on the bottom step to his throne. A murderer was about to ascend these stairs. He slowly shifted. The next step would be taken by a slaver. Donovan moved up the stairs, each step representing an evil action. When he got to the top he stopped. "He is in no condition to lead us to the gate," Tokoroaka said, his voice trailing up the stairs. "The Master needs rest,"

"Ha, so that you and Crooked-Fang and Belok may argue like children over who is in charge? No, those days are over. He will lead us, and we will enter Eo as planned,"

Tokoroaka's murmur held an edge as it carried up to Donovan. "Careful Lyra, move too recklessly and you will find yourself surrounded,"

Donovan couldn't make out Lyra's next words. He was distracted by movement at the edge of his throne room. A shadow passed through the columns, then the large gargoyle commander appeared, his wings flapping fiercely. He landed, shaking the throne room and bowing. "My Count,"

Donovan gazed down at him. He turned and walked to his chair without a word, sitting heavily in it. "Speak Belok," Lyra said, her voice ringing clearly. "What have you to report,"

"Nothing to you," The gargoyle said, lumbering across the floor. He forced her out of the way with his size, then stopped and bowed before the stairs. "I have returned from the east master, having made contact with your companions. The one known as Seth is on his way. The others wish-"

Donovan's voice drifted down, quiet and solemn. "Thank you, commander,"

The gargoyle gazed back up, unsure if he should continue. He thought better of it and bowed his head. "Of course,"

The next several hours passed in silence. More officials gathered in the throne room in groups, making their way to the shadows of the columns. Donovan said nothing as the noise of their garments and jewelry filled the halls like whispers. Finally the silence was broken as Reqart appeared with Princess Esymia and Princess Ninja. "Uncle!" The boy called, rushing to the base of the stairs. He paused, waiting for Donovan to respond. When the man sat silent atop the throne, Reqart started climbing. Reaching the top, Donovan's nephew came up to him. "Please Uncle, what's wrong?"

Donovan found Reqart's eyes. "What do you think of me, in truth nephew,"

The boy smiled. "You're funny! You always joke with everyone, and you always know just what to do!"

"Do you remember when we first met? You stood with me and watched as I burned a city. Do you think that was funny?"

Reqart fell quiet, confused. His face struggled, then he gave a slow smile. "Those were just puppets Uncle. They'll come back, you said so yourself,"

"I did," Donovan said softly. "didn't I,"

Horns interrupted them. An official ran to the base of the stairs, stopping and catching his breath. "My count! We have arrived at the Gate of Eo!" The throne room erupted in murmurs and movement.

Reqart waved down. "One of you do the glass spell, I want to see!" Nobody moved.

"Do not make the Count's nephew ask again," Lyra said. The sorcerers looked to Tokaroaka, who's expression was hidden beneath his grotesque mask. He gestured for them to proceed. The sorcerers began chanting. The air in front of Donovan's throne shimmered. A glassy circle appeared, shifting until it revealed a view of the land outside the castle.

The mountains of Eo rose up like foreboding walls. Their sides were not slants, but cleaved faces rising higher than the tallest of skyscrapers. Carved into a section of the mountains was a stone block, a gate so large it could easily be a small mountain of its own. There were no windows, or door. In fact for all intents and purposes, it was a gate without an entrance.

"Count of Vashn," Princess Esymia said, her voice calm yet earnest. "You must turn back now. My brother will not suffer this gathering outside Eo. He will destroy you all with ease,"

No response came from the throne. "My Count," The ship-master said, coming up to the base. "Shall we start our bombardment of the gate?"

Donovan sat slumped in his throne as he thoughts swirled around his head. They went to darker and darker places as he tried to make sense of who he was now. Reqart glanced with a worried expression at the man, then back down at the waiting servants. "Uncle, how do we get in?"

"You don't," A voice answered. Smoke swirled around the throne room, prompting the servants to step back. The smoke congealed, then dissipated, revealing Mark, Grace, Seth and Babi. Everyone was dressed for battle. Grace was in her full plate armor and gripped the complex spear. Seth wore his tattered coat and blindfold. This time the blindfold had a red eye painted in the center. Mark wore a flowing robe with a single sash tucking it in. Bells hung from the sash, each ornament a different size and color. Babi wore gauntlets, arm and shoulder plates, along with a new black cloak. She stared at Donovan as the others did, though her eyes felt more piercing.

"Crooked-Fang!" Lyra yelled. The Montre Commander didn't need to be told twice. He and his son, the Unfeeling One, as well King Orga and six other lizards, spread out in front of the throne. Tokaroaka was joined by a score of sorcerers. The robed figures drew swords and flicked them, enveloping the blades in fire. The rest of the space was filled as Donovan's knights trickled in, all of them with their weapons drawn. The gargoyle commander and several armored owls closed off the encirclement, standing behind the four newcomers.

"We're not here to fight," Mark said, his voice echoing around the room. "I'm just here for my son and Princess Esymia,"

"You have come uninvited to the court of the Count of Vashn," Lyra announced from the bottom of the throne steps. "Do not think you are in a position to make demands,"

Reqart called down from the throne platform. "Father it's okay, I told you! I'm going to get mother!"

Mark stared at his son, his face pained. "I'm sorry Reqart," He said gently. "But there is no way past those gates. None have ever entered Eo without permission,"

"You do not speak truth," Lyra said, raising her chin. "A thousand years ago the Great Conqueror entered Eo with his most powerful warriors, and-"

"A legend, nothing more," Mark said, his voice stern. "Do not give false hope to my son, or my friend,"

Reqart shook his head defiantly. "No father, you're wrong! Uncle promised!"

"go," Donovan said, his voice barely above a whisper. Reqart turned to him, confused. The man in the throne extended his hand, as if it were great effort, and pointed down at Mark. "go to your father,"

The boy grew concerned, furrowing his brow. "n-no Uncle, we just need to get through the gate…"

"It is impossible," Princess Esymia said, her voice ringing clearly around the throne room. "Leave now, before the Guardian fleet arrives,"

Horns echoed from warship to warship. Donovan's eyes slowly went to the glass viewing-spell hovering in front of his throne. On the eastern horizon next to the mountains, shapes moved, as if swaying. Donovan leaned forward in his throne, waving his hand. The viewing-spell shifted.

They were titans. The giants lumbered forward, their heads encased in giant stone towers. Above them, colossal, decaying whale corpses swam in the sky. Iron fortifications bigger than the whale's themselves were built atop the creatures. Strange instruments and towers seemed to poke out haphazardly from them.

"The Eastern Empire!" The Master of Ships yelled. The robed Uhnut wrung his hands, looking up at the throne. "My Count! It is a battle!"

Crooked-Fang and his son, as well as Tokaroaka, turned away from the three heroes and saint. They looked up at the throne where Donovan sat. The man stared at the viewscreen, unmoving. "My count!" Lyra yelled, her expression concerned. She picked up the hem of her dress and hurried up the stairs.

"Presumptuous!" Crooked-Fang roared, gripping his trident in one hand. "Do not approach the Master!"

Lyra ignored him, racing up the many narrow steps. She reached the top, stopping to catch her breath. "My Count," She said, pausing and straightening up. "You must steel your resolve and lead your forces,"

"She's right uncle," Reqart said.

As Lyra and Reqart stood around Donovan's throne, Grace surveyed the rest of the room with just her eyes. The rest of her body stood straight as an arrow, prepared to attack at a moment's notice.

"What the hell," Mark said, staring at the view screen floating in the air. "The Empire, here? Are they mad?" The viewscreen picked up the cries of the masses below the fleet. The gathered species and creatures sounded awed, though alarm was also present.

A new sound was heard. It was like the breaking and booming of icebergs, or thunder. The distant sky churned, five swirls forming in the clouds. The swirls grew thicker and thicker, graying the sky and blotting out the sun. The swirls slowed, then small holes opened up in the center.

Five massive balloon spiders lowered through the holes. Their legs descended to the earth, swaying gently. The spiders opened their mouths, and white flaky shapes began to pour out.

"No!" Grace yelled, taking a step forward. "It…it can't be!" Mark's eyes were wide as well, as were Babi's. Seth's expression seemed calm under his bandage.

Donovan shifted in his throne, looking past Lyra at the viewing glass. The woman turned, as did Reqart. The three of them watched as the sky-bound spiders unleashed their cargo upon the plains. "My count!" Lyra shouted, turning on him. "Your orders, please!" Slowly, ever so slowly, Donovan's eyes met hers. Silence stretched. Please Lyra mouthed.

"open fire," he whispered, burying his face in his hand.

Lyra relayed the message. The Uhnut Master of Ships spun and took a deep breath. "OPEN FIRE!" he screamed.

All three-hundred warships unleashed their cannons in the direction of the Empire hordes. A moment later, the air around the ships was filled with geometric symbols. The fleet unleashed their magical barrages, filling the distant sky with explosions.

"Master!" Crooked-Fang yelled, running to the base of the steps. "Allow me to lead our armies to meet them!" Donovan didn't raise his face from his hand. Using his other hand, he made of a weak gesture of permission. Crooked-Fang turned and ran for the entrance to the throne-room.

The Empire whale-ships grew closer as they swam through the sky. Their formation glowed with electrical discharge, then bolts of lighting rocketed towards the Vashn fleet. The bolts struck some of the warships. A moment later, the warships erupted in an expanding bubble of explosions.

"SPREAD THE FLEET!" The Master of Ships yelled. "DO NOT CLUMP TOGETHER!"

The Vashn warships continued to unleash cannon and spell fire on the approaching lines as they shifted away from each other. The transports ships lowered, the gathered pilgrims retreating to make room for them. It was clear the million refugees were panicked and fleeing. The gargoyle commander turned to the owls with him. "Gather my forces, we bring down the sky-barges,"

"Do not be so hasty Belok," Tokaroaka said. "Our master had not given you leave, perhaps-"

"Perhaps," The gargoyle rumbled, shifting near the columns. "We should hear from the Count," Donovan made another weak gesture, his face still in his hands. The gargoyle turned without a word and flapped his wings twice, sending a gust through the room. He took off, and a moment later the armored owls flew after him.

"Mark," Grace said, pointing at the viewscreen. "Look," The balloon spiders had finished their vomiting of the demons. Each one brought its legs back up. A single small figure fell out of the mouth of all five. The figures landed among the demons.

"You don't think…" Babi said, furrowing her brow.

"No," Mark said, his expression grim. "It can't be,"

The horde of demons surged forth, then slowed. They parted, and the five figures emerged. The view-spell hovering near Donovan's throne allowed for an up-close look. The figures all resembled Lord Zyre. Their skin was white and flaky, like paste. They had holes in their head that connected on two ends, as if drilled. Their steps were purposeful, and with grace. A sixth figure joined them, emerging to walk in the center. It was Alamare the Demon Lord. He wore a fine suit tailored with dark gems, his hair flowing freely from his head.

"How!" Grace exploded, drawing many of the servants' gazes. "Those are Melody's demons! He can't control them!"

"A pact has been made," Mark said, narrowing his eyes. "Or so it would seem,"

"We should probably get down there," Seth said, tightening his eye bandanna. "Right?"

Babi looked concerned, watching the demon lord and the five figures approach. "There's six of them and four of us,"

Grace immediately turned to the throne. "Donovan! Lend us your champions!"

Donovan glanced at the viewing screen. He then moved his eyes to Lyra and nodded. She turned. "The Master has agreed, you will have them all,"

The Vashn transports touched down on the grassy plains. Their doors opened, and infantry marched out in block formations. The beasts streamed out and gathered to the side, forming an unruly horde as they waited. A single, smaller airship touched down between the Vashn and Empire forces. Grace, Mark, Seth and Babi walked out, followed by King Orga, the Unfeeling One, Gitch and the old man in the cage, called Habban. His enclosure was wheeled out by several sorcerers, who immediately fled back inside the ship. Grace turned as the transport lifted back off, inspecting the champions.

"You," She said, pointing her spear at the man in the cage. "I know the others. What's your deal," The man just smiled a wide, toothy grin, then laughed in a crazed manner. "Alright," Grace said, turning back to her friends. "How do we want to do this,"

Seth scratched his head and turned. Alamare continued to approach with the five white figures. "I guess I'll take the demon lord. We never got a change to finish our fight,"

"Are you sure Seth?" Mark said, concerned. "They're just as powerful as us, if not more powerful. We could put two on them,"

"Nah," Seth said, waving away the idea. "I think I got it,"

"I'll take one of the corrupted then," Grace said, nodding at the approaching white figures.

Babi shifted, summoning a spear made of light. "As will I,"

Mark scratched the back of his neck. "As you know I can only really provide support, unless things get really bad,"

"We understand," Grace said, turning to the champions. "That leaves three corrupted. Speak truthfully, for the battle depends on it. Which of you shall face one of them alone,"

King Orga hefted his butcher sword onto his shoulder. "I can easily do it,"

"No," The Unfeeling One said. "We both know it should be Gitch and the one called Habban,"

The Orga King snorted under his helm, but nodded. "Very well,"

Seth approached the iron cage, gesturing at the man inside. "Soo, do we just, wheel him in front of one of them and assume he'll do the rest?" The old man laughed, kicking one foot against the bars.

"I'll show you," King Orga said, walking to the cage. He raised his sword and brought it down into the ground, leaving it there. He bent down, his metal plates shifting, and lifted the cage. Once he had it on his shoulder, he took two experimental steps, then threw the cage with all his might.

The heroes and champions watched the iron box sail through the air. It landed in the grass between them and Alamare's group. The demon lord smiled and pointed the cage out to one of the white figures. The figure lowered to the ground and took off, speeding towards it.

"Hello heroes!" Alamare called, waving. "Accepted the good Count's invitation I see!"

"What is this Alamare," Mark called, his hair buffeted by the wind. "How did you get ahold of Melody's demons,"

Alamare gave a shrug, frowning. "Well once Lord Zyre died, the line of succession got a little complicated. Especially on account of the whole royal line now being corrupted," Alamare came to a stop a stone's throw away, taking in the heroes and champions. "So I came along and sorted it all out for them,"

"This is it demon," Grace said, pointing her spear at him. "There will be no more plots or terror from you after this,"

Alamare just gave her a wink, then moved his gaze to Seth. He nodded at the blindfolded man. "I was hoping to see you here,"

"Me too," Seth said, giving a small grin. "You grew back your arm,"

Alamare smirked. "I've never met someone who appreciates movement in the way I do,"

Seth shrugged, letting out a laugh. "Well sure, when you're the fastest there is, nothing can stop you,"

For the first time anyone had seen, Alamare's smile died on his face. His expression grew dark. "what do you mean,"

Seth raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Well I'll tell you, someone once told me about the fastest person ever, many years ago, and he was pretty powerfu-"

"YOU ARE NOT FIT TO SPEAK OF MY MASTER!" Alamare roared, sending out a gale. The heroes and champions had to brace themselves against the force. The demon lord pointed. "You do NOT appreciate his ability as I do! I am his disciple of speed! I am the fastest, second only to him!"

Seth frowned. "You sure about that?"

Before Alamare could respond, a sound distracted everyone. It was the sound of iron bars exploding. The old man in the cage let out a laugh as he danced atop the white figure attacking him. He ducked and dodged and weaved, doing a little jig before dancing away. The white figure sprouted several arms and chased after.

Seth had just enough time to look away, then duck, as Alamare flashed in front of him. The demon lord punched where Seth had been, splitting the earth and sending everyone sprawling. Seth flashed away, Alamare giving chase.

Grace shot up from the ground, Babi alongside her. The two engaged their corrupted opponents with spears and spells as the white figures lashed out with shifting limbs. The Unfeeling One and King Orga cornered another white figure, and Gitch flailed around as he tried to smash the last one.

Donovan watched his friends and champions fight from where he sat in his throne. Reqart and Lyra stood on either side of him, also gazing up at the glass viewing-spell. Around them, warships kept up a continuous barrage of cannonballs, rockets and explosive spells.

On the plains, the Vashn armies and demon hordes slowly converged. Firearms went off up and down the Vashn lines, followed by pike-wielders rushing forward. Golems towered over infantry, sending out eye blasts that vaporized scores of demons. In the distance, geometric shapes appeared around the approaching titans. A moment later, the titan spells shot up columns of fire here and there among Donovan's armies.

Reqart appeared memorized. Whale-ships and warships alike fell from the sky in slow-motion, engulfed in flames. Smoke poured up from the plains as black and white figures swarmed over it.

"Reqart," Princess Esymia called up.

The boy slowly tore his attention away from the view-spell. He approached the stairs, looking down them. The elf princess had her hands clasped in front of her, her head lowered. "You should convince your uncle to turn back now,"

"I'm sorry," Reqart said, his voice quiet. "But we already talked about this, remember? In your room earlier? I have to see my mother, and Uncle Donovan has taught me how to be brave,"

Lyra smiled down at the boy. "You are right to be brave. The other servants bicker, but they need one to look to until the Master regains his senses,"

"It is not a matter of bravery," Princess Esymia called up. "But a matter of magnitude. You cannot hope to enter Eo, or withstand the Guardians should they come out,"

"We will see about that," Tokaroaka said, approaching the stairs. The sorcerer came to a stop next to princess Esymia, looking up to the throne. "Master, our warships and aerial forces have engaged the enemy fleets, but none can break through yet to halt the titans' advance. If we do nothing, the giants will wreck havoc upon our forces," Tokaroaka bent down to one knee. "I seek permission to begin charging the focusing-crystals,"

Donovan didn't reply, his gaze remaining on the viewing-spell. Both Reqart and Lyra waited for him. Slowly the Master of Estates turned to Reqart. The boy swallowed, then glanced down at Tokaroaka. "Do it magi," He said, trying to make his voice brave.

The sorcerer didn't protest, instead bowing and rushing to join a group of his companions. "See?" Lyra said, smiling at Reqart. "It's not so hard to help your Uncle, is it?" Reqart didn't respond, giving Donovan a concerned look.

On the grassy plains below, Seth and Alamare formed criss-crossing trenches in the earth as they sped around each other. The upturned dirt fell back as dust. It mixed with the gunpowder smoke and smog from the constant explosions, forming a haze over the battle. Seth skidded to a halt on a dime, exchanging several hundred blows with Alamare in the blink of an eye. The two separated, then earth was vaporized as they resumed their chase.

Grace and Babi fought back to back, spinning their spears and lashing out as their two opponents surged around them. The formless bodies of the white figures were hard to pin, but both Grace and Babi continued their assaults with focused determination.

King Orga and the Unfeeling One had fallen into a steady rhythm of unrelenting bashing. Their opponent continued to sprout limbs to defend itself, but both champions' weapons blurred as they brought them down again and again.

Gitch and his opponent dug their feet into the earth and wailed on each other with long limbs. The tall mummy and white figure sent out shockwaves as their blows grew faster and faster.

As for Habban, he continued to laugh. The old man did a jig as his corrupted opponent brought down a forest of razer-sharp limbs, jumping out of the way at the last moment. The white figure charged after him, but the old man stopped and opened his mouth.

His jaw enlarged to an impossible size as he lunged forward. The white figure threw up its hands to shield itself, but the old man's jaw expanded. He chomped down on the creature twice, then swallowed. His head shrank back down to normal proportions. Habban settled down in the grass, taking in the view of the fighting around him.

Donovan watched on the viewing-spell as the old man started to pick flowers. The Count had a vacant expression, his eyes seeing, but unseeing. "Puppet look!" Reqart said, pointing Lyra to the screen. Warship horns blasted a moment later.

The glass showed a line of shapes lazily drifting over the Gate of Eo. They appeared to be bone-white ships with triangular sails both above and below. They moved through the air like majestic fish, their hulls segmented with jewels.

The jewels flashed.

A moment later, both Vashn warships and Imperial whale-ships were cut apart by red lines. The lasers emitted from the new ships' jewels. Dozens of burning ship debris rained down on the plains below.

"No!" Lyra yelled, taking a step forward as she watched the viewing-spell.

"The Guardian fleet," Princess Esymia said simply. She too stared up at the images in the glass. "They will spare no one,"

"Tokaroaka!" Lyra yelled down the stairs. The sorcerer looked back up. "The focusing crystals!"

The robed sorcerer shook his grotesque mask. "It is not nearly charged yet, we need more mana," Lyra looked up at the view-screen in distress, watching as the Guardian ships sent out a new wave of red lines. More Vashn warships and Empire whale-ships broke up in the sky. "The boy," Tokaroaka said, his voice quiet.

"What?" Lyra said.

"The boy," Tokaroaka repeated. "He may help,"

Lyra slowly faced Reqart. The boy returned her gaze. "I'll go," He said bravely, then descended the stairs.

Below on the plains, two columns of fire rose on either side of Alamare and Seth as they repeatedly bashed into each other at lightning speeds. The titan spells heated the air around the opponents, but neither appeared to notice. Both were wholly concentrated on each other. Seth appeared before Alamare, throwing a punch. The demon lord blocked it with a gloved hand, returning with a punch of his own. Seth ducked, coming back with an uppercut. Alamare bent backwards, moving his head out of the way as the fist sailed past him.

This all took place in a second, They were a blur to everyone else, their two shapes bouncing between the columns of fire. The flames died down and both sprinted in the same direction. Seth and Alamare kept pace with each other, only a little space between them. They suddenly converged, exchanging a series of blows that sent out a shockwave and clumps of grass.

Grace and Babi continued to stab spears against their opponents' limbs. Both women fought with similar styles, syncing up at times and putting the white figures on the defensive. They always were halted however. The corrupted continued to sprout limbs and flow around the grass, seeking out holes in the Saints' defenses.

"We'll never defeat them like this!" Grace yelled, forcing the white figure back with a barrage of light-spears.

"They're not slowing down!" Babi called back, spinning her spear into her enemy.

Grace glanced up at the sky, finding the five white balloon spiders hanging from the clouds. She pointed with her weapon. "There! We need to get to those things!"

"But how!" Babi called, bracing herself as the white figures rushed towards them.

In response, a light-show of lasers passed over the white spiders, originating from the Guardian ships. The balloon creatures came apart in pieces, raining the demon hordes with black blood and giant flakes of white. Grace and Babi watched as their opponents' skin blew away in the wind, revealing gaunt and weakened members of the Imperial royal family.

The Guardian ships continued in a line, with the leading vessels circling around. It was clear they were about to form a rotating line of red beams. The jewels on the ships glowed, heralding the next attack. Lyra gripped Donovan's arm as she watched wide-eyed on the viewing-spell. The young man simply stared with his vacant expression, slumped in his throne.

In a large, spherical chamber deep within the castle, Reqart stood staring up in awe at a series of crystals hanging from massive chains. Princess Ninja towered behind him, also staring up. Strange brass devices with cogs and copper wires trailed around the crystals, with a singular brass rod running through the length of them. Tokaroaka signaled a group of sorcerers, and a wall of chains released. The iron caused a racket as the chains ran up and down the wall. The wall on the opposite end rose, revealing the battle outside.

The crystals pulsed with a faint light. Tokaroaka cleared his throat behind his mask, motioning Reqart towards a series of smaller crystals raised up from the floor. They were held aloft on crystalline poles with wires running down the center. Reqart approached, glancing back at the sorcerer. Tokaroaka mimicked that the boy should grip two of the crystals. Reqart nodded, turning back and proceeding to do so.

Out on the battlefield, Alamare and Seth continued their dance. The air was now thick with dirt and debris from their movements, but neither slowed as they clashed into each other midair. Seth and the demon lord fell back to the earth, trading punches with each other that sent out steady waves of air.

They both landed, straightening up. Alamare breathed heavily, as did Seth. The demon lord took his arm and brushed away the sweat from his brow, grinning. "Today we find out who is the better disciple of the Demon King, my friend,"

"Demon King?" Seth said, clearly confused. "I'm just looking for an interesting fight. And let me tell you my friend, you're certainly obliging!"

Alamare straightened up, slowly working off his jacket. He paused, glancing at Seth with a wink. "Don't think I haven't noticed that ring,"

Seth was distracted by a beam of blue and white light erupting from Donovan's floating castle. It pulsed, then stabilized, then slowly worked its way across the sky. The circling Guardian ships tried to break formation, but were caught in the path of the beam. The bone-white ships exploded, plummeting down to the earth in flames.

Seth felt a fist drive into his stomach, then he hit the earth and slid backwards. Dirt and debris were thrown up as he formed a trench, coming to a stop against a mound of demon and infantry bodies. Alamare appeared above him, striking the earth with foot and knocking Seth into the air. The Demon Lord swiped with his arm, catching Seth by the wrist and dangling him there.

Around them, Guardian ships struck the earth, shaking the ground and sending out plumes of dust and fire. Alamare's clothing and hair were tangled in the wind, but he stood undaunted with a smile as he dangled Seth. The demon lord slowly closed his free hand around Seth's ring-finger, then violently ripped it off.

Seth tilted his head back and screamed in pain. Alamare dropped him, focusing on the ring as he turned the finger over in his hand. "I could feel it, this ring is one of power," More Guardian ships crashed to the earth around them, sending up a new wave of explosions and dust. Seth covered himself as the force of the shockwaves carried over them.

"Hey!" A voice yelled. Alamare turned to see Grace, Mark and Babi approaching. Grace skidded to a halt, pointing a gauntlet at the demon lord. "Get away from our friend!"

Alamare briefly looked down at Seth, then took the ring from the finger and threw the latter over his shoulder. He slowly lowered the ring onto his own finger, twisting it into place. Inspecting it, he smiled, then turned to the trio.

"Alright girls and magi, let's have some fun,"

He tried to take a step forward, but didn't. An expression of confusion crossed his face. "w-what?" Alamare said, trying to move. "I can't…."

Old, wheezed laughter built up around the ship-strewn grass. The last of the Guardian vessels crashed down, sending out a final wave of smoke and fire. As it cleared, an old man in tattered garments and a straw hat appeared a ways away from Alamare and Seth. The demon lord struggled to look over his shoulder at the old man, his eyes widening in rage once he did. "YOU!" Alamare yelled.

"That's right," The old man said, slowly approaching with a cane. "Me,"

"Oh hey!" Seth called, surprise in his voice. He tried to wave as he held his eye bandage over the stump of his missing finger.

"Hello again," The old man said, coming to a stop and nodding at Seth.

"How dare you interfere!" Alamare yelled, straining to keep his head facing the man.

"Ohh but you made it so easy! So obsessed with the Master's speed, thinking that was all that there was to his greatness. I bet you thought you might one day surpass him even?"

Alamare's eyes grew wider. "NO! I would never think such a thing!"

"Hmph," The old man said, coming to a stop behind Alamare. "Well, anyway, you're young, and easy to manipulate. I knew once you thought this one was a rival," The man jerked a thumb at Seth, who remained sitting on the ground. "You'd try and figure out the secret to his speed. A ring is such an easy answer, isn't it? It was only a matter of time before your own stupidity would take care of you. I predicated as much years ago, and now, here we are!"

"Why!" Alamare yelled. "We both serve the Demon King!"

"Don't give me that!" The old man roared, his voice sending the grass around Seth waving. "You are not FIT to serve the master! Playing around as Melody did, but worse, believing you can ever approach the skills of our master!"

Alamare trembled as he struggled against the power of the ring. "I only…meant, to kill the guardians, while they were in turmoil,"

The old man sniffed, inspecting the back of his hand. "The Demon King will deal with the Guardians, when he chooses to. But you will not be there to see it," The old man snapped.

"NO!" Alamare yelled. The ring glowed, and the earth opened up underneath him. The demon lord sank down into the darkness, yelling and cursing as he did. The earth closed up again, leaving no trace.

"whoa," Seth said, slowly getting to his feet. Grace and Babi approached cautiously. Seth turned to the old man, nodding. "Hey, thanks, you really saved me there,"

The old man smirked. "Do not think I did it for you," He turned, getting ready to leave.

"I'm going to miss that ring. It was nice being the fastest,"

The old man paused, looking over his shoulder at Seth. "Do not make the same mistake Alamare did. He believed true power lay in being the fastest, for when he looked upon our master, that is all he saw. But that was a mistake on his part. If you ever wish to approach the true skills of the first hero, you will need more than just speed, despite what I told you when we first met,"

Seth brushed off his jacket sleeves. "Still though, it sucks being useless now that I'm not fast,"

The old man smiled. "Remember at least one thing I have told you. Become the best at one skill, and it will spill over into other areas. You might be surprised to find out what else you are good at,"

"Huh," Seth said, crossing his arms. "Thanks man, that was a good pep talk,"

"You can call me Henrus. Henrus the Demon Lord. Perhaps if you are lucky, you will one day be worthy to challenge my master and lose magnificently," Both Grace and Babi pointed a spear at the old man as they stood on either side of Seth. Mark came up as well, putting a hand on one of his bells. A shroud of smoke drifted past Henrus, and the man disappeared with it.

On the floating castle, up in the throne room, the hall and columns were silent. Lyra stood next to Donovan as she watched the battle collapse. The Guardian ships were destroyed, and the Imperial demons were breaking up. She slowly let go of Donovan's shoulder, her fingers white.

"Master!" Tokaroaka called, rushing to the throne. Princess Ninja lumbered behind him, holding Reqart in both hands. Donovan rose, coming to the top of the steps.

"Reqart," He said, his voice quiet.

"He gave much!" Tokaroaka said excitedly. "I have the focusing crystals charging again. With all the mana they've collected, we should be ready to fire again soon!"

Reqart shifted in Princess Ninja's hands, slowly sitting up. He held his head, blinking. "Ohh, I feel tired," Princess Ninja grunted. The boy motioned for her to let him down. She obeyed, and Reqart shakily stood on his feet. Donovan watched silently from atop the stairs.

"The Empire's demons are scattered," Lyra announced, coming up next to Donovan. "And the Guardian ships are no more. We should turn our attention to the gate,"

Smoke swirled in the throne room, dissipating to reveal Mark, Seth, Grace and Babi. The four companions were smeared with dirt and blood, though they stood defiantly in the center of the chamber.

"It's over," Mark said, his voice echoing around the chamber. "Now we turn this all back,"

A clear voice rang out. "It's far from over," Princess Esymia said, coming to a stop before the throne stairs. A flash appeared above the Gate of Eo. A moment later, two columns surrounding the throne buckled, then split. Pieces of stone rained down, sending out a cloud of white dust.

A figure stood in front of the wreckage in the columns. It straightened up, revealing a fair elf in full plate armor. The armor glowed with blue runes, and in his hand he held a massive, glowing sword. His hair fell down around him as his eyes took in the room.

"Calstar," Princess Esymia said, bowing her head.

Grace was upon him in a moment, joined a second later by Babi. Calstar swung his sword, knocking them back with a gust, then his image flashed. He appeared in front of them, knocking them back again with a second swing. Both women rocked backwards, impacting against columns and cracking them.

"NO!" Reqart and Mark yelled at the same time.

"Stop him!" Tokaroaka yelled, pointing. A sea of robed sorcerers rushed forward, drawing their swords. The weapons flared with fire as they neared.

Calstar swung his sword once, knocking back a wave of them. He swung again, throwing up another group. He strolled forward, his hands flashing. The weapon followed, dicing up robed figures left and right. Their swords clattered to the floor, extinguished.

Knights and Montre guards were next. They swarmed around the throne, charging the armored elf. Calstar gripped his sword with both hands and began a series of attacks. He moved forward, dropping anyone who came in range of his blade.

A bell rang, then a series of shockwaves expanded through the throne-room. Calstar braced himself with his sword, taking the brunt of the sound waves as they crumbled stone and knocked down two columns behind him. The throne-room groaned, dislodged stone falling from the ceiling.

Mark held the bell in one hand, narrowing his eyes at Calstar. "Enough!" Mark yelled, lifting the bell ever-so-slightly. "We wish to talk!"

Calstar raised his chin in contempt, pointing his sword at Mark. "There will be no talking. I will kill you all and take back Esymia to Eo,"

"No brother!" Esymia yelled, taking a distressed step forward. "Our people are collapsing from within, don't you see it? You are pushing us to the brink of disaster!"

"It is you who have threatened everything!" Calstar roared. "You and our sister have both nearly doomed us! I alone have redeemed our line! I alone have done what needs to be done, and saved our people!"

Grace and Babi appeared on top of Calstar, raining down their weapons and spells. The room trembled as Calstar flashed his sword, then knocked them back. Both women landed on their feet, skidding along the stone.

"Enough!" Princess Esymia yelled, rushing towards her brother. "You may take me, please, just end this! There has been enough death already!"

"No!" Mark yelled, throwing out a hand. He reached for another bell, but Calstar pointed his sword at him. A bolt of lightning erupted from the tip, striking Mark and throwing him to the ground.

"FATHER!" Reqart yelled. "Princess Ninja, go!"

A massive blur flew past Reqart, coming down on Calstar in a moment. Princess Ninja delivered a series of blows in quick succession, then slammed her fists down. The armored elf blocked the large Rook's blows, then unleashed another bolt of lightning from his sword. It struck Princess Ninja and launched her back.

Calstar held out his hand towards Princess Esymia. "Come, we will leave this place. I'm taking the boy with me,"

"NO!" Mark yelled, struggling up. "We can talk! You don't need to take him!"

"He is a half-blood," Calstar said, his voice dripping with disgust. "But one of us none-the-less. It would not befit even one such as him to be out here among the rabble,"

"N-no!" Reqart yelled, rushing to Mark. "I won't go with you!"

Calstar approached him, holding his sword at his side. "You and my sister in exchange for the lives of everyone else, that is fair, don't you think? Know that you are saving your family,"

An expression of misery passed over Reqart's face. He looked down at his father. Mark clutched his chest where the lightning struck, looking back up at his son. "no," Mark whispered. "Don't…"

Reqart glanced up at Donovan, then slowly stood. He turned and approached Calstar. The armored elf nodded in approval, lowering his sword.

Donovan took a step down his stairs, then another. One foot after the other, he slowly descended. He opened his HUD, his hand lazily flipping through the menu selections until he reached the Passive Absorption page. His expression was vacant. He pressed a menu option, prompting a flash around his person. He glowed, then Donovan waved his hand and dismissed the HUD.

He reached the bottom, approaching Calstar. "Come with me," Donovan said, his voice quiet.

Calstar's face froze. Beads of sweat formed on his brow as he slowly turned and followed Donovan. The entire throne room watched as the pair approached the opening in the columns. Donovan stopped by the edge. Calstar came to a stop as well.

Donovan gazed from the opening. The wreckage of the battlefield stretched out before him. Smoke drifted from tangles of crashed ships. Corpses littered the grass in uneven lines. The smell of death wafted up to the throne room.

"It's beautiful, isn't it," Donovan murmured, gazing at the sight. Calstar said nothing, sweat falling from his brow as his breathing grew ragged. Donovan nodded, as if to himself. "I don't know who I am anymore. I was just a guy, trying to get home. Now I'm a murderer," Donovan turned to Calstar, a look of concern on his face. "But I didn't mean to be a murderer! I didn't mean for any of it to hurt anyone! It was because we were the ones being hurt!" Donovan closed his eyes tightly, turning away. "But it doesn't matter, does it. My intentions don't matter, only what's been done," He slowly opened his eyes and looked over the battlefield. Thousands upon thousands of pilgrims cautiously approached the plains, picking apart the ruins and scavenging the remains of corpses. "So how do I make this right? What can I possibly do to move forward?"

Calstar tried to make a sound, his lips fighting against something. Donovan exhaled slowly, turning away from the scene. "I guess the only thing is to move forward and find out," He said, walking away. He paused, giving a disinterested look over his shoulder at Calder. "As for you, you can jump,"

Calstar's voice built up inside him as he bent his legs. He let out a primal scream of fury as he plunged off the ledge.

"NOOOOOOOO!" Princess Esymia yelled, rushing towards the opening.

Mark slowly got to his feet with Reqart's help. He stared at Donovan, his face horrified. "Donovan," He said as the Count passed. "What have you done,"

Donovan didn't reply as headed for the stairs. He was tired, and his mind was still clouded. He passed Tokaroaka, taking a moment to turn to the sorcerer. "Bring down the gate," Without another word Donovan began climbing the stairs.

The floating castle shifted, horns blowing from its ramparts. The remaining Vashn fleet fell into formation beside it, stretching out in a line. They circled up around the Eo gate, with the castle directly facing it.

"What has he done!" Grace yelled, rushing towards Mark. "He killed Calstar! The Guardian lines will be in chaos!"

Mark buried his face in his hands, shaking his head. "This is bad Grace, very bad,"

The castle shook, then a moment later a bright beam erupted from the middle of it. It struck the gate, beating into it with unrelenting energy. The warships joined in, activating their spells and unleashing fire.

"My brother," Princess Esymia said, slowly sinking down to the floor. "All is lost…"

"Whoa, what's happening now?" Seth said, looking around in confusion.

The castle continued to pour its beam into the gate. Waves of heat built up from the impact point. Grace grabbed Mark and hauled him to his feet. "We get Reqart and Esymia and we leave, now! We have to regroup with the others!"

"Yes, of course," Mark said, shaking his head and focusing. "Let's go," He took Reqart's arm and pulled the boy towards the columns.

Reqart resisted. "No father!" He said, pulling back. "Uncle is taking me to Eo!"

"It's not happening!" Mark yelled back, worry etched in his face. "We have to leave Reqart! The longer we stay here, the more of chance we risk drawing something far worse than the Guardian Border Fleet!"

"I'm not leaving!" Reqart yelled, pulling from his father's grasp. "I'm saving Mother!"

They were interrupted by a distant, loud explosion. Everyone slowly turned their attention to the view-spell. The floating glass showed an up-close view of the Gate of Eo. The entire structure collapsed like an avalanche.

Mark slowly let go of Reqart's arm, his own falling to his side. He watched the gate crumble in a daze. Grace and Babi watched as well, their eyes wide. The throne-room was silent.

"Master," Tokaroaka said, coming up to the base of the stairs. "We have brought down the gate. We may enter at any time,"

Donovan sat heavily in his chair and slumped, unresponsive. Lyra grabbed his hand and held it aloft. "He is not a Count, but a King! Hail, King Donovan!"

The officials and commanders gathered around the hall cheered. "HAIL, KING DONOVAN!"

"Ready the ships!" Lyra called, approaching the top of the steps and throwing out an arm. "We enter Eo this day!" The throne-room shook with sounds of approval, dislodging a few loose stones from the ceiling. Donovan sat in his chair and massaged his temples.

In the center, Mark stood, still in a daze. Reqart gently took his hand and started walking him towards the steps. The castle shifted, moving through the air. "Mark!" Grace yelled running towards him and stopping. "We need to go!"

Mark paused, seemingly waking up from a dream. He turned to her, his expression haggard. "He did it Grace. Donovan actually brought down the gate,"

"That doesn't matter!" Grace exclaimed, gesturing with her spear. "We need to go! We have to meet up with Justin and She-Joker and come up with a plan for what comes next! Calstar is gone and the Eastern Empire is about to collapse!"

Mark slowly shook his head. "I'm sorry, but I can't,"

Grace's expression froze, her spear lowering. "What?" Babi and Seth came up on either side of her, stopping to watch Mark.

The man in the magi robes turned his gaze up to the viewing-spell. The destroyed gate of Eo grew closer as the fleet approached. He looked back to Grace, gazing into her eyes. "I have to enter Eo,"

"N-no," Grace said, taking a step forward. "No!"

Mark nodded sadly. "I'm sorry, but I have to find Gwelenaen,"

Grace shook her head violently. "No, you can't! You have to help us! We have to fix this world!"

"I'm sorry," Mark said, closing his eyes in pain and then opening them. "But I never thought I'd have this chance to reunite my family. I have to take this Grace. I have to bring Reqart's mother home,"

"NO!" Grace yelled, tears welling up in her eyes. "You can't leave us! You can't abandon us! We can still fix this world! Please Mark, tell me you still think we can fix this world!"

Silence followed. No one, not the servants watching, not Mark, said a word. Finally he met Grace's gaze and held it. "I'm sorry Grace, I don't know," He raised his hand, pointing a half-bent finger at the view-spell. "All I know, is if I enter Eo with Donovan, I might have a chance at seeing the woman I love again,"

"I love you!" Grace yelled, her voice echoing around the throne-room. Tears flowed freely down her face. "Gwelenaen wasn't there for you, she wasn't at your side all those years! It was me Mark! I stood by you in battle! I watched Reqart when you needed to rest! I held you when you were wounded and promised we would make things right together! And you always did the same for me!" Grace staggered forward, holding out a hand. "Don't do this Mark! Please!" She slowly lowered her hand, her voice growing strained. "Don't leave me…"

Mark stared at her, his face creased with lines of sorrow. Without a word he turned and took Reqart's hand. Together they climbed the stairs. Grace collapsed to the floor, sobbing. Babi and Seth both tried to help her up, but she just shook her head as she cried.

Donovan raised his head as Mark and Reqart reached the top of the stairs. Lyra stood beside his throne, her chin held high. Tokaroaka stood on the other side, his expression hidden behind his mask. Mark came up to Donovan, stopping in front of him with his son. He nodded. Donovan gazed up at him, then slowly nodded back. Mark and Reqart turned. Together, they, Donovan, Lyra and Tokaroaka all stared up at the viewing-spell as the entrance to Eo grew closer.

Outside, millions of pilgrims, soldiers and monsters streamed across the plains, forming a massive, unending horde of bodies.

Together, they all marched towards the forbidden lands of Eo.

Last edited:
And that's Season 1! Hope you guys liked it, love to hear your thoughts. If you're interested, I'll drop Season 2 after a week break or something

No spoilers if you've already read the manga :lol
That was pretty good. I'm excited for season 2, that's for sure.

So, everyone just kind of stuck around on the floating castle and is gonna invade Eos, I guess?
"I love you!" Grace yelled
Oof, not the time fam. When has that ever worked?

Back