Help! I’m probably going to murder my friends in this Isekai!

Be the best at one thing huh?

Well, Donovan may have been resident sleeper for 10 extra years compared to everyone else....

But he still had one skill that was constantly active. For 70 years.

Be the best and it spills over. Well, the world has never before seen such an enslaver.

I also realize that this chapter had a LOT in common with Xykon's Power monologue from OOTS. Or maybe I just want to see similarities.

"You seem to have an interest in power, so let me educate you a little while I search for you. It's sort of this thing I like to do sometimes, especially for learned wizards such as yourself.
Power, it isn't something that you put on or take off like a jacket. It's something you just ARE.
If you can lose it by blowing two Will saves, you never really had any power in the first place, see what I'm saying?...

...Your soul shenanigans are real flashy, but they had one weakness: they were shackled to your lame mid-level ass!
I used to think spells equaled power, too, back when I was alive. I've learned a lot since then.
You know what does equal power?

Power.
Power equals power.
Crazy, huh?

But the type of power? Doesn't matter as much as you'd think. It turns out, everything is oddly balanced. Weird, but true. For example: Right now, power takes the form of a +8 racial bonus to Listen skill checks.

So, Uncle Xykon, what's the moral of the story?
A big pile of spells isn't enough when the other guy has a big pile of spells AND the strength to crush your windpipe with his bare phlanges..."

Last edited:
Wait so he slept for what amounted to 70 years of passive exp gain right? Wouldn't that mean he is like super leveled by now because I doubt his friends were at every moment gaining exp even if when they did it was a good bit it wouldn't be constant gain like him.

Wait so he slept for what amounted to 70 years of passive exp gain right? Wouldn't that mean he is like super leveled by now because I doubt his friends were at every moment gaining exp even if when they did it was a good bit it wouldn't be constant gain like him.
Apparently he hasn't spent it, so it's just banked XP. Bit of an oversight, but he's not really thinking rationally right not. Lyra is running the show, and she's full of propaganda and delusion.

Honestly this season 1 has been amazing. The speed you updated at, the story and everything else was enjoyable. I eagerly await the next chapter.

Though if I may ask a favor? Don't burn yourself out, yeah?

Holy crap. I just binge read this ndcnad to be honest this has ruined me for a large chunk of isekaistories out there. I only hope I can find more of this quality.

I really appreciate all your guys' support. I made a trailer for S2 to keep the juices flowing, and I'll be posting a map of the world later today or tomorrow. I'm waiting an arbitrary amount of time to start up again, because Resting is right, I am SV's resident "Burn Brightly and Quickly" QM/Writer :lol
But in all seriousness though, I do want to do this story justice, so I dunno, a week, maybe more till we resume? Or sooner, I'm very impulsive when I feel the urge to write. And again, thank you guys again for your comments and likes, your interest makes the story worth it to write

(Edit: Also the characters look how you imagine them, not what's necessarily shown in the trailer. I searched for fantasy characters on Pinterest and all I got were softcore hentai warriors and that one armored chick from Fate, so I had to settle for what I could get)

Last edited:
Wow I had a completely different mental picture of Eo. I thought the world was ringed by mountains and Eo was everything outside, with everyone living in a sort of preserve or reservation.

Wow I had a completely different mental picture of Eo. I thought the world was ringed by mountains and Eo was everything outside, with everyone living in a sort of preserve or reservation.
Oof I'm glad you said something, I bet I used Eo as an alternative to Lysseria (the name for the whole world) in the beginning and forgot to change it, good catch

OVA #1
The Day Donovan Woke From His Final Time Pass (Episode 3)

Black smoke traveled across the land of Vashn. More poured forth from smoke-stacks, lazily rising to the sky and fueling the oppressive cover. A single Rook watched it from a slanted rooftop, her face hidden beneath a wooden mask marked with the symbols of a master. Her name was Missa, and she was the greatest of her kind. The leader of a great network of spies and assassins, feared throughout Vashn and the surrounding lands.

The Rook shifted, her feathered cloak billowing in a strong, ash-filled wind. Despite the mask, Missa couldn't help but cough. It was dangerous to stay on the rooftops too long. Many a builder had died of black lung, and Missa was just as susceptible if a blade or poison goblet didn't find her first.

With another cough, the shorter fairy creature turned. She hopped down to a window ledge, hanging off it and falling to a lower slanted roof. From there she made her way to a small balcony, vaulting over the side and landing on rotted wood. A less-experienced assassin would have elicited a groan from the material. Not Missa. She took quick but quiet steps across it, reaching a staircase and descending.

Waiting for her at the bottom were three other Rook. They all wore the same wooden masks as she, sans the markings of a master. They were also wrapped in the same feathered cloaks, a garment that had marked the tribe long before the days of their first enslavement by the lord of Vashn.

"Master," One of the Rook said, his voice cracking. "What of the merchant's towers?"

"Empty," Missa said, moving past the Rook. The others fell into step behind her, fanning out.

The Rook who had spoken adjusted his mask as he kept pace behind her. "Empty master? Surely the iron mongers are not so foolish?"

"They have grown arrogant," Missa said, her tone angered. "And think themselves safe in their forges. They will learn the truth today,"

The other two Rook snickered, one of them fingering the handle of a sheathed knife. "Oh yes they will," The nearest of them said. Her voice was bouncy and carefree.

"We will pluck their eyes from their head," The other said. Her voice was lower, almost a murmur.

"Beema, Devi," Missa said, pausing at an intersection in the street. A heavy cart rumbled by, pulled by two kral beasts. "Go and summon Crooked-Fang, tell him this is our moment to strike,"

The two female Rook bowed, then took off in a sprint. Their feathered cloaks trailed behind them. Missa was left alone with the male Rook. He watched her, lifting his mask slightly to itch his chin. "I do not understand master," He said. "We could take them ourselves. Why involve the Montre?"

Missa scanned the intersection. On all sides were houses crammed together like dark, wooden walls, rising up to three stories and beyond. The street itself was filled with denizens and slaves of Vashn. The denizens wore all manner of clothing, some rich, others barely rags. The slaves were naked save for loincloths, their cumbersome iron collars and brands marking their station. Everyone milled about. The sound of animals, voices, and a distant whip crack carried through the street.

"Concern yourself with matters of death Cob," Missa said, moving purposely along the cobbled surface. "And leave the tiresome dance of life to me,"

The male Rook, Cob, hastened to catch up to her. More than a few creatures watched the Rook as the pair passed, barely veiled hatred on their faces. "Ass-worn Rook!" A well-dressed Feyman shouted. "May a dagger find your back!"

Missa and Cob ignored him, turning neatly down a side-street and leaving the crowded avenue behind. "There was a time when they would not have dared slander us," Cob said, his voice angery under his mask. "Should I remember his face and see it, it will be his last day,"

"Idle threats buy little in any market," Missa said, pausing at another intersection. She peered down one street, then made her way along it, staying close to the buildings. "Let them talk. Our time will come,"

"It is the iron mongers and trade masters!" Cob said, shadowing her as she walked. "Once they are gone, they will learn to fear us again!"

Missa paused, turning slightly to look over her shoulder at the Rook. "Cob, your tongue discredits the great works of your blade. It is not the iron mongers, or the trade masters, or the powerful families of the south Mordor districts who have stripped us of our respect. We allowed this to happen, when we saw them getting fat with coin and convinced ourselves it was for the glory of the true master,"

"Praise be to him," Cob said, making the hero-gesture with one hand across his chest. The Rook Master continued, stepping over the corpses of several slaves laid out in the street for the corpse cart. Cob hastened to catch up. "And it was not you master who took their coin, but the traitor Rook Veyga,"

"It does not matter," Missa said, waiting as a group of priests passed by. "What's done is done, all we can do now is prepare for the Waking Day, and hope the true master sees our work and knows that we have been faithful despite the actions of our predecessors,"

The priests began humming one of their hymns as the last of them disappeared around a corner. The song drifted after them, giving pause to two merchants who spoke nearby. The hymn was one of the few beautiful things in the dark land. Cob's brow furrowed in confusion as he followed behind Missa. "Master, I would ask one thing, a thing I and others speak of often,"

"Hm, choose your words carefully Cob, I have already warned you I do not suffer the idle chat of foolish Rook,"

Cob continued, undaunted. "Is not the true Master's will is absolute? How can there by traitors like Veyga and the Iron Mongers, when the hero-lord of Vashn wields such power?"

Missa held up a hand, signaling Cob to stop. She gestured up at a nearby wall of houses. Together, the two Rook jumped up on a broken cart and climbed onto a narrow side-roof. They continued up, easily scaling past windows and faded timber. When they reached the top, Missa crouched down and took in the maze of streets and buildings. Cob knelt patiently behind her. Finally, the Rook master broke the silence.

"There are few who can hear the Master's voice and not obey. His words are law," Missa turned slightly, looking at Cob over her shoulder. "But the great one only wakes once every ten years, and he does not speak of everything. One such as Veyga need only convince themselves they serve his will, and as long as the master has not spoken against them, they may enrich themselves in their own way," Missa's voice grew darker. "And there are some here who have not known the hero-lord's power. He has not bound everyone's will, only those he considers worthy,"

"Shit draws the flies, and gold the greedy,"

Missa snorted. "You are quick with words of wisdom, it is any wonder you do not possess it. Now enough talk, keep watch for the Montre,"

The two Rook remained crouched, dark smoke building in the sky above them. The streets were filled with activity and noise. Missa filtered it out, concentrating on three massive stone structures several streets away. The buildings sat on individual hills, rising above the row houses. They were not the tallest, in fact their height was mostly due to the hills. But the structures were wide, with domed tops and the largest smokestacks in the land.

They were the seats of power of the iron mongers. Within were halls and chambers holding forges, slaves, and the riches of the masters of mining. And greed, and treachery. Missa had been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

"Master," Cob said. She turned, seeing him pointing at the streets below. Caped figures wielding tridents took up the entire width, numbering in the hundreds. They were the Montre, tall lizards and the enforcers of the Lord of Vashn. Without a word Missa ran down the roof, hopping down to a ledge and dropping the rest of the way. She landed silently in front of a doorway, straightening up before the Montre.

"Where is Crooked-Fang," She said. The Montre parted, revealing two lizards, as well as the Rook twins Beema and Devi. The first was Crooked-Fang, a muscled warrior with eyes that conveyed his intolerance for weakness and dishonor. The second was his son, the Unfeeling One, a Montre of unparalleled skill with polearms. He was both a leper, and blind.

"Rook," Crooked-Fang said, his tone carrying mild respect.

"Montre," Missa responded, nodding her head slightly.

Crooked-Fang adjusted his grip on his trident and gazed at the three massive stone buildings on the hill. "Where are the rest of your kind,"

"I only need Beema and Devi," Missa said. The two twin Rooks tilted their heads in acknowledgment, the more-spirited of the two letting out a giggle.

"Hmph," Crooked-Fang said, clearly unconvinced. "Shall it be Montre who die this day, while Rook stand by and watch?"

Missa gestured towards Beema and Devi, who came to stand on either side of her. "It will be Vashn assassins who clear the way for Vashn warriors. Yours is to kill the survivors," She turned to Devi. "Go, you and your sister may announce our coming with your blades,"

The two Rook took off, slipping easily through the grouped Montre and disappearing down a side street. Missa, as well as Crooked-Fang, watched them go. "You wish us to wait?" The Montre commander said, clearly impatient.

"No, let us approach," Missa said. "They shall hear the footfalls of your kin as they die hiding,"

With a snort, Crooked-Fang pointed his trident above the heads of the Montre, towards the three buildings. "March! Today we remind them of their true lord!"

The Montre banged their tridents three times on the cobblestone, then moved forward in a mass of capes and sharpened prongs. Above them, the windows of the row houses were shuttered, their curtains drawn tightly by the inhabitants. All who lived on the street knew that death was coming.

Crooked-Fang pushed past his fellow guards, reaching the front and taking the lead. His son, the Unfeeling One, as well as Missa and Cob, joined him. "I grow eager to see their faces," Crooked-Fang said, gripping his trident. "It has been too many days since I have washed my weapon with the blood of traitors,"

"Do not underestimate them," Missa said, drawing her feathered cloak to her. "They have hired their own mercenary guards, and there are rumors of sorcerers loyal to their coin,"

Crooked-Fang curled his lip back in disgust, revealing rows of sharp teeth. "Then perhaps we should have dragged the sorcerer Tokaroaka here, to deal with his own kind,"

"He would not have listened to us. Beema and Devi will take care of the art users,"

"I agree with my father," the Unfeeling One said, running his fingers along the end of his trident. "You should have brought more Rook,"

Missa shook her head, keeping pace with the Montre commander and his son. "Beema and Devi are worth a hundred Rook. They have trained in the ways of death since they were taken from the womb,"

"We shall see," Crooked-Fang said, staring intently ahead at the buildings on the hills.

The street ended in a wide plaza filled with vendor tents and beasts of burden. The babble of voices slowly quieted as the Montre fanned out. Tents were collapsed and tables overturned as the mob of warriors made their way across the space. The lizards shoved the slower merchants aside with their tridents.

The plaza ended with a single stone ramp wide enough for almost four wagons. The ramp led up to the closest of the buildings. Crooked-Fang held up a fist, signaling the Montre to stop. He turned to his son. "Take as many as you need, split them between the other two palaces,"

"Yes father," The blind Montre said. He turned, raising his head. "Two hundred willing to follow me, bang your tridents!" Two hundred tridents banged the stone of the plaza. The Unfeeling One turned and marched his chosen warriors towards the other buildings.

A hundred Montre, as well as Missa and Cob, remained. Crooked Fang took a step up the ramp, cupping a claw to his mouth. "IRON MONGGGGGEERRRRRSSSSS!"

At the top of the hill was a stone wall ringing the building. A few figures could be seen scurrying across the ramparts. The flags depicting the iron monger's crests barely waved in the wind, as if holding their breaths. After waiting a few more beats, Crooked-Fang snorted and began climbing the ramp. Missa and the Montre followed.

Crooked-Fang and Missa stopped in front of three iron gates that led into the courtyard beyond. The Montre commander gripped his trident and banged it on the first iron gate, sending out a racket that echoed across the plaza behind them. "IRON MONGERS!" He roared. "OPEN THIS GATE, DO NOT MAKE ME WAIT!"

Missa could see across the courtyard to the double doors leading into the domed forge palace. One of them opened slightly, and a robed figure stepped out. Several more figures did as well, following the first across the courtyard. As they neared, tall, armored warriors wielding spears and shields appeared from behind the wall, standing on the other side of the three gates and facing Missa and the Montre. On the ramparts, more figures rose up, wielding crossbows. They aimed them down at the Montre filling the ramp.

The warriors parted as the robed figures reached the gate. The leader put a cracked hand to the bars, using his other to draw back his hood. A human male with braided hair and the medallion of an iron-monger speaker regarded Missa and Crooked-Fang. "Well," He said, his voice soft. "This is certainly an unexpected pleasure. Or perhaps not. What shall I tell my masters is the cause of your visit?"

Crooked-Fang gave the man a cruel smile. "Open this gate and we shall tell them ourselves,"

The speaker put a contemplative hand to his chin. "Hmm, I do not think that would be wise. We are conducting great works in these halls, and I think your tails might get in the way,"

The Montre commander gripped the gate with his free hand, his scaled claws turning white. "I will nail you to a wall and unspool your intestines from your body you waste of flesh,"

"Speaker," Missa said, her voice loud and clear despite her wooden mask. "Your masters have been found guilty of failing their stewardship granted to them by the one true master, as well as treason, against him, and all the land of Vashn. There will be no trial, the sentence is death,"

The speaker's eyes grew wide in surprise. "Oh? The Iron Mongers are not without allies. If you are to declare us traitors, you will need to do the same to at least half the ash lands,"

"Their time is coming," Crooked-Fang said, his voice low. He tapped lightly on the bars of the gate with his trident, clearly impatient. "But first we will start with you,"

Missa shifted, drawing back her feathered cloak to reveal a dagger. "Now open this gate, so that you may serve as a warning to these so-called allies,"

The speaker smirked. Before he could speak, one of the doors to the building was thrown open. A robed figure, his garments smeared in blood, stumbled out. He continued across the courtyard, his hood falling from his head and revealing a missing ear. A crazed expression was on his face. "FLEE!" He shouted, coughing up blood. "FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!" Several more figures emerged behind him, making it only a couple steps before they collapsed.

The speaker recoiled as the figure neared, then turned in shock towards Missa and Crooked-Fang. Missa slowly removed her mask, revealing her brown speckled face, as well as a smile. Crooked-Fang smiled with her, revealing his rows of sharp teeth. "Well?" The Montre commander said, his voice low. "What are you waiting for? Open the gate,"

The speaker took a step back, then looked up at the walls. "Soldiers! A volley! Then retreat!"

"Cob," Missa said. "With me,"

The two Rook shot up the wall with ease, their feathered cloaks billowing behind them. The crossbowmen flinched as the assassins cleared the ramparts. Missa drew two knives, as did Cob. The blades blurred as the Rook brought them up and down.

Missa and Cob moved in opposite direction, slicing tendons, stabbing gaps in armor, and dragging their blades across throats. The soldiers fired their crossbows, but the bolts hit their comrades instead of the assassins. The masked Rook were simply too short, and fast.

Crooked-Fang watched impatiently from the top of the ramp as corpses tumbled off the wall. One landed in front of him. He spat on it, then glanced through the gate at the Iron Monger speaker. "They won't be long," Crooked-Fang said, as if commenting on the weather. "Then we can proceed to nailing you to a wall,"

The speaker took a step back, glancing at the bodies near the entrance to the building. "What's going on!" He shouted at the wounded man.

"Demons," The man murmured, clutching his missing ear. He slowly fell to the ground, his face draining of color. "d-demons,"

Above on the ramparts, Missa and Cob finished off the soldiers. The Rook master drove her blade into the throat of the last one, gripping it and letting him slide off the end and down into the courtyard below. She wiped her knives on the tunic of the nearest corpse. Sheathing them, she made her way to the gate, meeting Cob. She nodded at the large wooden wheel, and together they began turning it.

The three gates groaned, then lifted. Crooked-Fang licked his lips with his forked tongue, waiting. When the gates had lifted, he marched through, leading the Montre into the courtyard. The mercenary warriors formed a shield wall, the speaker hastening to hide behind them. Missa and Cob watched as Crooked-Fang paused inside. He pointed a trident at the mercenaries.

"No survivors," He said, his voice low.

The Montre rushed forward, lowering their tridents. The mercenaries lowered their spears in response, but the first of the lizards leapt upon them, driving down their tridents and impaling past the shield wall. The rest of the Montre impacted against the line, driving them back. Again and again the lizards stabbed their tridents, laying low the enemy warriors and filling the courtyard with streams of blood.

Missa and Cob watched as the Montre killed the last of the soldiers. The Rook pair dropped down, landing silently. They approached the lizard warriors, stepping through the pooled blood. The Montre parted for them, opening a path to Crooked-Fang.

The commander was holding the speaker against one of the doors of the forge palace. He held out a hand as Missa approached. The Rook silently passed him two knives. Crooked-Fang took the first and drove it through the shoulder of the speaker, eliciting a scream of pain from the man. The Montre gripped the second knife and drove it into the other shoulder, then stepped back to inspect his work. The speaker remained pinned to the door, his face anguished. Crooked-Fang took his trident and stabbed it into the man's stomach, then ripped it back out with a vicious motion. The speaker's head sank as blood poured from his gut, a last dying gasp escaping his lips.

"It is a pleasure to watch you work," Missa said, her tone dry.

Crooked-Fang turned to face Missa "You kept me waiting," The Rook master said nothing as she led Cob towards the dark interior of the forge palace. Crooked-Fang and the other Montre followed behind her.

The inside was filled with corpses. Some lay slumped against the walls, others sprawled across the floor. The stones were smeared with bloody handprints and torn tapestries. Crooked-Fang sniffed at the smell of death as the group walked down the main hallway.

They entered into a wide, circular hall. A hearth flickered with dying embers in the center. Beema and Devi, the twin Rook, sat atop a table cleaning their knives. Around them were heaps of corpses. Some wore lavish garments, others, forge aprons. The Rook looked up as the group approached.

"Master!" Devi said, her voice cheery. She hopped off the table, her sister following slowly behind her. Devi stopped in front of Missa and the Montre, lifting her mask to reveal a beaming smile. "Did we do well?"

"Very well," Missa said, extending a hand and wiping a smudge of blood from the Rook's chin.

Crooked-Fang took in the hall, covering his nose from the stench with a claw. "Are there any left,"

"No," Beema said, her voice sullen. "I wished to leave a survivor, but Devi would not listen,"

The cheery expression on Devi's face fell. "Sorry,"

"No matter," Crooked-Fang said, turning and drawing his cape to him. "Come Master Rook, the high council meeting draws near, and I wish to present heads,"

Upon hearing the words, several Montre walked about the hall, bending down near corpses. They drew small knives from their waists. Missa watched as they began separating heads from bodies. "Come Beema, Devi," the master assassin said. "You as well Cob. We shall head to the Lord's Palace,"

The plaza was deathly silent as the Rook and Montre emerged from the gate. Dozens of wooden crosses had been erected among the collapsed tents. The Unfeeling One stood in the center as the Montre who had accompanied him hoisted corpses onto the crosses, securing them with rope. He turned as he heard Missa and Crooked-Fang approach.

"Father," He said, nodding.

"How many did we lose," The Montre commander said, stopping in front of the Unfeeling One.

His son's tongue forked out briefly. "A score, no more. The mercenaries had little fight in them,"

"Finish up here, I shall meet you at the barrack halls once the council meeting has ended,"

"Yes father," the Unfeeling One said, bowing slightly.

The streets were silent as Missa and Crooked-Fang walked them. There were few slaves or merchants about, word of the slaughter having quickly spread. Missa's Rook, as well Crooked-Fang's Montre, followed the two masters at a respectable distance. The lizard commander held a head under his arm as if it were a trophy, his other claw resting his trident across his shoulder.

"The others will not be so easy," He said, his voice low.

Missa sniffed, adjusting her wooden mask. "We have our work cut out for us. Though the master wakes soon, and during his judgement will likely order their executions,"

"Will you be the one to tell him?" Crooked-Fang said, his tone sour. "Or shall it be I?"

"I will if you will not, though the task of enforcing the master's will was given to your kind,"

Crooked-Fang curled his lip back. "Do not speak to me of tasks, I have never faltered in mine,"

The two fell into silence for the rest of the walk. Ahead of them, the palace district of the city of Mordor loomed. Six castles, with a seventh in the middle, rose up before them. The seventh was the tallest. Within it lay the meeting hall of the Vashn high council, as well as the slumbering body of the true master of the ash lands.

A large blackened, stone wall encircled the palace district. The gate was already raised, the entrance protected by the knights of the Order of Vashn. They parted as Missa and Crooked-Fang led their group through. On the other side were grand, tall houses, as well as the castles. The Rook and Montre headed for the central castle.

Upon entering, they passed through halls and corridors, finally reaching a wide staircase. Missa signaled for Cob and the twins to wait, and Crooked-Fang did the same to his Montre. The two masters climbed the stairs side by side as their followers watched them from the bottom.

At the top were two doors guarded by Montre. A single Faymen wearing a purple robe and a gold medallion stood between them. The Feyman nodded at the masters, turning to face the door as the lizard guards opened it. The robed figure led Missa and Crooked-Fang inside.

"Announcing!" The feyman yelled, his voice echoing. "Commanders Crooked-Fang and Missa!"

The two masters walked into a large stone chamber lined with tapestries and statues of the lord of Vashn. A table occupied the center. Sitting in high-backed chairs were a number of different creatures; Feyman, Uhnut, Orga and others, including a massive gargoyle. They were all dressed in decorative armor and fine clothing. Missa and Crooked-Fang came to a stop before the table. The Rook gazed at those gathered through her wooden mask.

"You're late," One of the Orga said, his voice carrying from the far side of the table.

In response, Crooked-Fang tossed the head he carried. It landed with a loud thud on the surface of the table, rolling to a stop in the center. "We had business in the city," The Montre commander said, walking around to his chair. Missa walked in the opposite direction to where he empty seat waited. The others watched in silence.

"What is this," A tall, grayed Pemu said, staring at the head. He wore a black robe, a golden medallion hanging from his elongated neck.

"The price of treason," Missa said, sitting atop the cushion on her chair. It made up for her lack of height, bringing her level with the others.

"The iron mongers have been punished for their greed," Crooked-Fang said, passing off his trident to a servant and sitting.

"Fools," An Uhnut said, scratching at his robe. "That you would carry out such deeds so close to the master's awakening. Do you not think he will punish you for robbing him of those who draw ore from the earth to feed his armies? Again I will say it, you are fools,"

"Better he wake to dead traitors than live ones," Missa said, her voice carrying an edge of warning. "Do not think I haven't noticed your comings and goings within the Iron Monger's forge palaces, Master of Coin,"

"How dare you!" The Uhnut exclaimed, indignant. "I will have you crucified for such words!"

The giant gargoyle shifted, letting out a low, rumbling growl. "Enough, I grow weary of your voices already. Let us begin,"

"Where is the sorcerer," Crooked-Fang said, glaring at a masked figure in one of the chairs. The figure shifted.

"My master extends his deepest regrets that he cannot attend this meeting in person," The masked figure said. "But he has much work to finish in preparation for the true master's awakening,"

An Erie woman with long, blond hair and nearly translucent pale skin clasped her hands atop the table as she sat straight in her chair. "Tokaroaka was absent from the last meeting as well," She said. "Perhaps you can shed light as to what keeps him away from his duty as a master,"

"He does not answer to Lyra, Master of the Estate," The masked sorcerer said, his tone haughty. "Only the Lord of Vashn,"

"Both of you still your tongue!" The large gargoyle said, banging a large fist on the table. "Sorcerer you will tell your master that if I am to come here, then so too will he," He glanced at Lyra. "As for you woman, you are barely worthy to sit at this table,"

Missa watched as Crooked-Fang's tongue forked in irritation. She remained silent, used to the trading of barbs that started every meeting. "Lower your voice Belok," The Montre Commander said, tapping a claw to the table. "You are no greater than any of us,"

"Lizard I will grind you to dust between my teeth,"

The exchange was interrupted as a tall Pemu priest entered. "Announcing!" The feyman attendant yelled. "The High Priest Haltetra!"

The Pemu came to a stop at the head of the table, raising his arms. He held a golden rod in one hand, pointing it towards the ceiling. On his head was a tall hat interlaid with jewels. He took in those at the table, glancing briefly at the decapitated head in the center. "Are we ready to begin?" The masters nodded, everyone falling silent. The priest lowered his rod, waving it in a pattern in the air. "We who serve the true master do beseech him this day, that he may look over us in his great slumber and guide our thoughts and words. We ask that the Lord of Vashn be true in his judgement, punishing the weak and blessing the strong. May he bring our land and our people to greatness. May we aid him in destroying his enemies, and enacting his will. May there be none who doubt his power, or his glory. May the one who defies him hang from the cross, may the one who slanders him be buried alive in the pit. To the prideful, may they be crushed under the wheel, so that the breaking of their bones brings pleasure to the master's ears. And to the faithful, may they enjoy the blessings of the true master, the Lord of Vashn, he whose true name we are not worthy to speak. Praise be that name,"

"Praise be his name," Missa said, her voice joining with the others as they spoke together. The Pemu priest bowed, then took his leave, the doors shutting behind him.

Crooked-Fang sniffed. "What is the first thing we are to speak of,"

The next three hours were spent with the masters discussing various issues, with many arguments breaking out. Missa remained silent, her eyes studying those at the table from behind her mask. There were many traitors speaking. Powerful merchants and warriors who had grown lax in their servitude. They would all be punished in time, when the opportunity presented itself. When they grew arrogant, thinking themselves safe, as the iron mongers had.

"Well then," the Master of Coin said, drawing the Rook's gaze. The Uhnut gestured at the head lying atop the table. "I suppose that leaves this mess Commander Crooked-Fang and the Rook have made. Who are we supposed to appoint master of mining now that the old have been slaughtered like beasts?"

"Do you desire the position?" Missa said, speaking for the first time. Her voice was quiet, though everyone listened when she spoke. Several masters exchanged glances.

The Uhnut cleared his throat, adjusting the hem of his sleeve. "I am needed in the treasury. The counting of coin is an endless task,"

"As is the fattening of your own purse, yes?" Missa said, fingering the hilt of her knife under the table.

"Do not think being a feared assassin protects you Rook," The Master of Coin said, narrowing his eyes. "You are far from the only one who can slip through the shadows. As of late, I almost think you unnecessary,"

Crooked-Fang curled back his lip, revealing his teeth. "The true master did not give you permission to hire assassins of your own, small one. Nor the rest of you," He gazed at the masters in turn. "Should I find any of your rats sneaking around the barracks, I will deliver them in pieces to your homes. Your own bodies will be torn asunder shortly after,"

The sorcerer yawned, lifting his grotesque mask to put a hand to his mouth. "Well then," He said, standing. "It seems this meeting is winding down, and I am not needed to appoint new iron mongers. I shall return to my master,"

The gargoyle Belok shifted, his massive form moving around the table. "I am leaving as well,"

"But we must appoint a new mining master!" The Master of Coin said, protesting with a raised fist. "There is an unending need for ore!"

"Give it to the woman," Belok said, waving a wing at Lyra as he neared the door. "She is small and weak, and will cause no trouble,"

"No," A finely-dressed Pemu said. "Give it to the merchant lord Malasev, it will quiet his protests and give him his desired seat at this table, however briefly,"

Crooked-Fang sniffed. "That one is trouble,"

"No, Master Jerl is right," The Order Master of the Knights of Vashn said. "Lord Malasev prances about this city as if he is already a master. Give him the chair and let him lose his head over it,"

The other masters shared looks. "Shall we put it to a vote?" The Master of Coin said.

"Bah," Crooked-Fang said, rising from his chair. He accepted his trident from a waiting servant, drawing his cape about him. "Put any fool in the position, I will kill them as soon as they step out of line," The Montre headed for the door, following Belok as the Gargoyle ducked through. Missa stood as well, quickly doing the same.

Belok was already gone as the Rook assassin reached the stairs, the doors shutting behind her. Crooked-Fang descended them. Missa hastened to catch up, siding up next to him. "I would have words with you,"

"Very well," Crooked-Fang said, reaching the bottom. "But make it quick, my son is waiting," His Montre parted, letting him and Missa through.

"The Master of Coin spoke truly when he talked of other assassins. Our clan has been dishonored, as well as disrespected. The other masters think their own shadow-blades are equal to us,"

The Montre commander headed for the main hallway, his cape billowing behind him. Cob, Beema and Devi followed behind Missa. The other Montre, behind Crooked-Fang. "That is your problem Rook," The lizard said, his tongue forking out.

"It is all our problem," Missa said. "My tasks and duties lie outside these lands. To lay low kings and courts who would oppose our master. I cannot keep an eye on my back, and the backs of my people, as I do such things,"

Crooked-Fang came to a stop, turning and towering over Missa. "And what would you have me do little assassin? Chase shadows?"

Missa didn't respond for a few moments. Both her Rook and Crooked-Fang's Montre watched their leaders, keeping a respectable distance. "I have found no loyalty that matches my own among the other masters," She began, her voice quiet. "Save for you, Crooked-Fang. You greatly desire the will of the master. I would almost think you an ally in this task of ridding Vashn of traitors,"

The Montre commander took a deep breath, exhaling slowly as he gazed down at Missa. "Perhaps little Rook. Perhaps not. I trust no one but myself and my kin. Today was a good day in service to the true master, but I am not yet convinced you are not simply trying to redeem your people. We shall continue as always, and time will tell if you are my equal,"

The two stared at each other, silence gripping the hall. Heavy footsteps interrupted them, drawing Missa's and Crooked-Fang's gaze. A robed Orga appeared around a corner, his eyes wide. "Master Rook!" He yelled. "Master Montre! The True Master has awoken and summoned his servants!"

Missa and Crooked-Fang shared a look. "It's time," Crooked-Fang said, narrowing his eyes. "The day of judgment is upon us," Missa nodded in response, and together they rushed down the hall.

After a series of stairs and corridors, two massive, wooden doors appeared. They were opened by armored knights. Crooked-Fang entered the hall, his cape sweeping about him. He was flanked by Missa, as well as several other officials who had joined them. "Master," Crooked-Fang declared. "We are gladdened that you have returned to us. Will you be making the traditional judgement of our works?"

A bemused voice traveled across the great hall. "I'm sure you did fine," A young man sat lazily upon the throne, a smile on his face. "Get ready though," He said, his smile growing. "Because the next stages of me and my friends' plan is going to get crazy,"

Last edited:
Episode 1: And Here We All Are
Light swirled together, flashing once and dissipating. Slowly, an orb pulsed into existence, its interior filled with color. It expanded, growing larger and larger as the colors spun. The orb glowed, the hues and shades taking form. The colors solidified into an image. Mountains appeared within, rising up into the clouds. They formed a wall expanding in either direction. A single gate occupied the center, collapsed into itself with a gaping hole in the center.

Hundreds of robed figures peered up at it, watching the image within the orb. The faces of those staring were cast in shadow from the hoods pulled over them. The watchers stood in a hall that could easily fit a small castle within. The walls that circled around them were made of a glossy black stone, with long, flowing calligraphy carved into its surface. None of the figures spoke, the hall gripped in silence.

A single robed man slowly made his way along a black stone ledge that protruded into the center of the hall. The ledge stopped directly below the orb. The other robed figures watched as the man reached the end. He held up his hands, then pointed a finger at the image of the mountains and the ruined gate.

"Guild Masters!" He yelled, his aged voice echoing through the hall. "Behold, the gates of Eo have fallen!"

As if breaking a spell, the robed figures began speaking all at once. Many shouted, trying to make their voices heard above the others. There was panic, anger, but most importantly, excitement. The robed man stood at the end of the ledge, taking in those gathered below. Finally he held up his hands, and the voices died down to a dull murmur.

"Such a thing has never happened in the history of our guilds," He said, glancing up at the viewing orb. "And by a hero, no less,"

"The anti-hero!" A robed figure yelled. Again hundreds of voices broke out in shouts and cries. The robed man kept his hands raised, waiting. When the volume and echoes receded, he continued.

"It is true, the hero known as Count Donovahn of Vashn has caused this, and now we, the masters of the Adventure Guilds, must decide what we shall do!"

A man among the crowd raised his fist, his voice booming. "Condemn him!" Many shouted in agreement.

"Censure him!" Another yelled. This too was met with cries of agreement.

"Banishment!"

"A bounty! Put a bounty on his head!"

The voices threatened to overwhelm each other. The man on the ledge gestured for order. "Masters, masters! Have you forgotten?" Everyone quieted. The man pointed at the orb, displaying the mountains and the ruined gate. "Put aside for a moment your anger at the anti-hero. What shall we do now that the lands of Eo lay open to the world?" This question induced a deathly silence around the hall. Murmurers began to course through the assembly. The robed man watched them from his vantage point, continuing. "These are the forbidden lands, the resting place of the ancient ones! Untold power lies within! Monsters not seen since the dawn of time! Riches and great cities ruled by the Guardians! Laid bare for any who would make the journey!" The man stomped his foot on the ledge, balling his fists in the air. "And the anti-hero of Vashn marches an army to seize it all!" This was met with cries of anger and alarm. "Tell me masters, what say you!"

Many voices rose up at once, but the loudest of them drifted up into the arched ceiling of the hall. "We must call a crusade!"

This was quickly joined by others. "Yes, a crusade! Call a crusade!"

"Crusade!" The shouting increased, turning into a chant. "Crusade! Crusade! Crusade!"

"SILENCE!" The robed man bellowed, leaning over the ledge at those below. The chant died. The man took a deep breath, gazing at the hundreds of gathered masters. "Before me are the great leaders of a thousand guilds, hailing from across Lysseria! Never in the history of our order have so many existed! Never in our history have so many adventurers pledged themselves to us, paid us their dues, and swung their swords for the bounties we give! A crusade has not been declared for over a century! And to call upon the millions of adventurers, from copper rank to diamond, would leave these lands without their courage! Think carefully my brothers and sisters! What say you to this!"

The voices erupted, echoing around the hall. "CALL IT!" They yelled. "DECLARE A CRUSADE!"

"DEATH TO THE ANTI-HERO!"

"SEND THE ADVENTURERS TO EO!"

"CRUSADE!"

The voices increased until they became unintelligible. The man on the ledge waited, clasping his hands in his robe sleeves. When the declarations subsided, he held out his hands. "So be it then. I, Grand Master Teodoras Vallentithe, elected by the council and recognized by those gathered here, hereby declare the 3rd crusade! We condemn Count Donovahn the anti-hero and all who stand with him!" Cheers rang out, the hoods of the robed figures slipping from their heads. Members of every species revealed themselves, their face contorted with emotion. "Call upon the members of your guild!" The Grand Master yelled. "Every adventurer in the lands, of all ranks and from every nation! Call them fellow masters! Summon their steel and spells! We shall have our crusade and seize the lands of Eo for our guilds!"

The cheers increased, many stomping the glossy black floor and shaking the hall with noise. The chant resumed, growing and growing. "CRUSADE! CRUSADE! CRUSADE!"

Grand Master Teodoras Vallentithe brought his hands together, gazing over the assembly. Above him, the orb slowly rotated, the mountains of Eo waiting.

Donovan Ebert sat in his throne atop the floating castle known as Utan-Gora. He was a young man dressed in fine clothing and a cape. His figure was slouched, as if he were trying to receede into the high back of his chair. Donovan's brow was creased, his expression dark. Before him was the circular chamber that marked the top of the castle. It was lined with columns, though several were destroyed, threatening to bring down the whole structure.

Despite the danger of collapse, scores of figures were gathered in the center. They stood in a circle around the tall stairs and platform that Donovan's throne rested upon. The figures were dressed in all manner of fine robes and armor. Some gazed up at him, though most stared through the spaces in the columns at the land beyond.

Donovan was not alone atop the stone platform. On one side of his chair stood a young woman in a luxurious, pulsating dress. Her skin was translucent, her long hair shimmering from blonde to white. The woman's name was Lyra, an Erie who's ring-laden hand rested on Donovan's shoulder. On the other side of the throne was a young boy dressed in simple clothing and a cloak. He hair fell in curls around his head, framing an angelic face that was wholly concentrated on the view beyond the columned chamber. His name was Reqart, and he held the hand of his father standing next to him. His father's name was Mark, slightly older than Donovan and wearing an intricate robe with a sash. The sash held bells of different sizes and materials. Mark idly scratched the stubble on his face as he gazed in equal concentration at the land beyond the castle.

Utan-Gora, the floating fortress, made its way slowly towards a wall of impossibly-high mountains. It passed over a ruined gate, entering into the lands known as Eo. Surrounding, the castle were over two-hundred airships of black metal and wood, and behind them, airborne transports fanned out in a loose formation. Below the armada marched over a million figures. They were creatures and people of every species and race from the surrounding lands. Young, old, peasants, merchants, they were as varied and unending as a sea of infinite color. Their footsteps and voices drifted up, reaching the floating castle and the columned chamber.

The young man, now called King Donovan by those gathered around his throne, was troubled. Many had died by his decrees, and many more enslaved. All this weighed heavily on his heart as he watched the land of Eo open up before him. He did not consider himself an evil man, but his actions had revealed he was in fact a monster. Donovan could not bare the thought of what he had done during his reign, and now he had no choice but to continue forward into the ancient and powerful lands of Eo.

For it was Donovan who had destroyed the gate leading into it, and it was he who had gathered over a million desperate people to march with his armies. There was no turning back now. Only in moving forward might he find a way to make right what he had done. Though, in the darkest depths of his heart, he knew nothing could bring back the generations he had condemned to enslavement and death. Few found mercy for tyrants, and he was now among the worst.

"Mark!" A voice yelled, drifting up to the platform and those gathered upon it. Donovan's murky thoughts cleared as his eyes sought out the source of the voice. A woman stood tall at the bottom of the steps, dressed in plate armor and covered by a blue cloak. In one hand she gripped an intricate spear. Her name was Grace, known by many as Saint Grace the Vigilant. Next to her stood a young woman with long black hair and long black robes, as well as armor covering her arms and shoulders. She was Babi, a former saint raised as a little sister by Grace. On the other side of the two women stood Seth. His features were obscured by a scraggly beard, and his eyes by a white bandanna with a red circle painted in the center. Seth, as well as Grace, were both friends of Donovan's.

Or they had been, once upon a time.

Mark made his way to the top of the stairs, looking down at Grace. He didn't answer her, his face creased with a pained determination. Grace held his gaze, equally determined. "If you should choose this path," She said, her voice quivering with emotion. "If you stand with Donovan and what he is about to do, I will have no part in it. I will not trespass into Eo with you Mark. I'm leaving, to find She-Joker and Justin. Together we will decide what is to be done," She took a deep breath, continuing to hold his gaze. "I cannot guarantee it won't be to stop all of this. I cannot guarantee we won't be enemies!"

"Grace," Mark began, softly.

"No!" She shouted, her voice echoing around the columns. "Do not try and defend your actions! You lead yourself and Reqart to death! I will not be here to watch it!" Silence gripped those watching. Grace slowly turned her gaze to Donovan. "As for you, come down here and speak with me before I go. It is long overdue,"

Donovan slowly rose, his cape falling down around him. Reqart took a step forward, letting go of his father's hand to clutch the cape. "Uncle! Don't be mad!"

"I'm not mad," Donovan said, his voice barely above a whisper as he paused. "It is time we talked, Grace and I,"

"I'm coming too," Reqart declared, letting go of Donovan's cape and walking to the stairs.

Mark moved as well, putting a gentle arm in front of the boy. "Reqart, this is between adults,"

"He's right," Donovan said, taking in the crowd gathered around the throne. He turned back to Reqart. "Stay here,"

The boy froze, a panicked look on his face. Donovan realized he had just compelled Reqart using the power of his voice. The young man's heart sank, remembering the new raw power of his abilities. Kneeling down by Reqart, Donovan stared into his eyes. "I'm sorry, you can do whatever you want," The boy relaxed, released from the spell. "If it would be alright with you," Donovan continued, choosing his words carefully. "I would like it if you stayed here, with your father Mark. Is that okay?"

Reqart's face was gripped by defiance. His father's hand found his shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Mark seemed unaware that Donovan had compelled his son, simply thinking it was a tense exchange. Finally Reqart turned away and narrowed his eyes. "I don't like it when Aunt Grace is mad at people. I don't like it when you are either Uncle. I don't want you and her to fight,"

"We won't," Donovan said, giving him a weak smile. He straightened up and turned to the stairs.

Mark patted his son's back and moved past him. "Donovan, I'll come, we all need to tal-"

"No!" Grace yelled, unable to mask the hurt in her voice. "Not you Mark…" She squeezed her eyes tightly, glancing away. When she stared back up, it was with renewed determination. "Just Donovan,"

"My king," Lyra said, taking a step forward. "Tread carefully with the Saint, I will tell Crooked-Fang-"

Donovan descended the steps. "I am no king," He said, his voice traveling over his shoulder and interrupting her.

He heard Lyra starting after him. "Allow me to be at your side then,"

"No," Donovan said. "Stay her-" He stopped, wincing. He tried again, mindful of the power of his voice. "You are not bound to me any longer, though I would like it better if…you did not accompany me,"

Lyra paused at the top of the stairs. "Very well," She said, her voice demurred.

Donovan took slow but purposeful steps down the stairs. Grace waited at the bottom, watching him with her head raised. She was flanked by Seth, who seemed distracted by his bandanna, as well as Babi. The former saint also stared at Donovan, her expression as defiant as her older sister's.

As the young man reached the bottom, Grace turned without a word and crossed the chamber. Babi followed, though Seth seemed uncertain of what he should do. The gathered creatures parted for both women. Donovan walked behind them, passing Seth who held out his hand. The young man paused, staring uncertainly at the gesture.

"Crazy couple days, huh," Seth said, lifting his bandanna and revealing his eyes. Donovan slowly took his hand, watching as Seth gave it a single shake. "I know I said this before, but it's good to see you again,"

"We'll see," Donovan said, moving past him.

He followed Grace and Babi to an opening in the front of the chamber. There weren't as many columns by design, allowing a natural window to the lands beyond. The floating castle was reaching the end of the ruined gate. Beyond, a narrow strip of flower fields led to tall, jutting hills. The hills were covered by purplish and silver trees that seemed to sparkle. Grace stopped by the opening, gazing out at the distant hills. Babi stood next to her, watching Donovan with a piercing stare.

Donovan stood behind her, waiting. The silence stretched, the tension between the trio palpable. Distant birds called out to each other near the hills, though their cries were unlike anything the young man had ever heard. Melodic, and with hints of harmony. Grace turned to him, her expression one of stone.

"Do you understand what you have done," She said, her tone low.

Donovan nodded. "I do,"

Grace's grip on her intricate spear tightened. "No, I don't think that's true. Do you still think this is a game?"

"No," Donovan said, shaking his head. "I don't know what this is. Not anymore,"

"Allow me to tell you then. This world is everything you see, and so much more. You are marching poor and desperate people, real people with lives and hopes and sorrow, into a death trap. Everyone in this room you will get killed," Her eyes narrowed. "Including Mark and Reqart. You already have much on your conscious, yes? Have you had time to grapple with what you are responsible for? Are you prepared for their deaths to be added to your ledger?"

Donovan's voice was soft, cracking as it came. "And what would you have me do Grace? Turn back? Tell everyone to go home? Find a quiet place and hang myself?"

Babi tilted her head, as if curious. "Perhaps you shoul-"

"Babi," Grace said, her voice stern. She turned back to Donovan. "I do not care what you do. The world is falling apart around me, and I am not enough to fix it. But you are taking people I love with you, and that…" Her voice trailed off as she glanced away. Finally she stared back into Donovan's eyes. "You know now that you are wrong, and yet you continue in your ways. For that, you have damned yourself. But what I will not forgive you for, is that you drag others down with you,"

Despite himself, a small, tiny smirk tugged at the corner of Donovan's mouth. "And here I was, plagued by the death of millions. Yet you are only concerned with two,"

"Do not tell me what I am concerned with!" Grace yelled, angered. "I cannot bring back the dead anymore than you can! All I can do is fight for what is in front of me, and save who is left despite your actions!"

Donovan didn't answer for a moment, Grace's words hanging in the air. "Is that it then," He said, his voice soft. "Are we to fight?"

Grace sniffed, turning away from him to gaze out at the distant, sparkling hills. "I can see it in our future. We will likely fight, and I will kill you. But not yet," She turned back to him. "For now I must find She-Joker and Justin, and tell them what has happened. Together we will save this world, either by fighting as we have, or finding you again and ending your life,"

"I'm not your enemy Grace," Donovan said, his voice pained.

"You are an enemy to the world, and I am the world's protector. That makes us mortal enemies, Donovan,"

The young man took a deep breath, slowly gazing out at the land beyond the floating castle. "Why didn't you stop me earlier," He said, his voice distant. "I slept for ten years, and when I awoke, there was only a single message from Mark. You knew what I was doing in Vashn, what I had done already. You knew my plans, they were your plans once upon a time," He turned his head, staring into Grace's eyes. "So what were you doing all that time? Mark told me of demon lords, did your fight really take ten years? Were you really so surprised when I spilled out of my Mordor kingdom with my armies?"

"You will never understand what has happened," Grace said. "What I and the others went through. You met Bri, she has lost her mind. She was hunted by a demon lord, as were we. But Babi and I, and Alyssa and She-Joker, we got the worst of it. Melody tormented us for days as she chased us down. We barely escaped with our lives. After that, things only got worse. Kaylee has not been seen or heard from in ten years. Seth may seem like he is okay, but he is only a hair's breadth away from spiraling into darkness he will not return from. Alyssa has also been gone for almost six years. She has taken on the responsibility of finding Kaylee herself. We have not heard from her either in that time. She-Joker-"

"Melissa," Donovan said, his voice soft.

"She-Joker," Grace said, her tone stern. "She is not Melissa anymore. She has lost her mind as Bri has, but in a different way. She still has love and compassion in her heart, more than I will ever have. But not in a way you or anyone else will understand. I do not think she even understands herself anymore," Grace shifted her spear to her other hand. "Do you understand? You were not the only one that was lost. All of us are slipping away. We are losing this fight Donovan, the entire world is set against us. We have no one to blame but ourselves. And now you are here, driving the final nail into this world's coffin. You have finished off the Kingdom of Delfanas and the Eastern Empire, the two greatest powers on this continent. They are now at the mercy of whoever will come in and take them." Grace raised her chin, regarding Donovan with a fiery gaze. "So tell me, what are you going to do once you enter Eo? What are your plans now?"

A voice rang out, clear and defiant. "He is going to destroy Eo, and all who reside within,"

Donovan turned, spotting Lyra approaching. She was flanked by Crooked-Fang, commander of his forces, as well as the master of his sorcerers, Tokaroaka. Mark was also present, though he stood apart from them.

"Quiet," Grace said, narrowing her eyes. She refused to look at Mark, instead staring at Lyra.

"You do not give orders here hero-saint," Crooked-Fang said, his tone carrying an edge of warning. "You are in the presence of King Donovan, and you will show him his proper respect,"

Grace snorted, giving Donovan a withering look. "See what you have done to them? They believe you are going to destroy this world. Is that your plan? Perhaps I should kill you now,"

"He's not going to destroy Eo," Mark said, his voice quiet. "I will not allow it Grace,"

"You are a fool Mark!" Grace shouted, turning on him. "Do you really think you alone will stop Donovan?" She glanced at the young man. "Well? Tell me here and now, what will you do inside these lands?"

Donovan didn't respond. He didn't know the answer. He was hardly in control of his emotions or actions. Not anymore. Lyra came up beside him, standing with Donovan. "He will do as he wishes, and he wishes to end the suffering of this world,"

Grace's shoulders lifted and fell as she struggled to control her breathing. "Donovan, if you do not make a choice, the choice will be made for you. And it is always the worst of them that is chosen," She glanced over the heads of those in front of her. "Seth! I'm leaving! What are you doing?"

Seth approached, casually walking as if nothing was amiss. "I gotta say," He said, itching the back of his neck. "I'm a little lost here. But I'll come with you, I told Justin and She-Joker we'd meet up again, and I want to hear what they found,"

Grace nodded approvingly. "Good," She turned, Babi moving to do the same. "Not you Babi,"

"What??" Babi said, incredulous. "Of course I'm coming with you!" Grace leaned in towards the young woman, whispering at length in her ear. As she listened, Babi's expression changed from surprise to resignation. Finally she nodded as Grace straightened up. "Okay…I'll stay, for you,"

"We will not allow it," Lyra said. "Do you think us stupid? All of you leave,"

Babi flicked her wrist, summoning a spear made of light. "You're welcome to try and stop me. I'm not going anywhere,"

Donovan turned away, his mind swirling with emotion. "I would ask," He said, glancing from Lyra, to Crooked-Fang, to Tokaroaka. "That if you could find it within yourselves to allow such a thing, that she could stay,"

Crooked-Fang furrowed his brow in confusion. "Why do you speak in such a way my king? Your words are law,"

"You do not need to ask our permission," Tokaroaka said, his expression hidden under a grotesque mask.

"I do, actually," Donovan said, walking away. "I no longer find pleasure in giving orders," He paused, glancing over his shoulder at his servants. "For no one can say no to me. Not anymore,"

He felt the eyes of everyone on him as he walked back to his throne. "Seth," Grace said, her voice carrying through the hall. "We're leaving,"

"Grace," Mark began. He never finished. The sound of a great wind picked up. Donovan turned to watch Grace and Seth lifting up from the floor, held aloft by a swirling gale. The hero-saint gave a final, hateful glance at Donovan, then a barely veiled look of pain to Mark. The gust strengthened, carrying the pair between the columns and out to the world beyond.

Donovan watched them until they disappeared. Before he could turn to his throne, Tokaroaka approached. The sorcerer paused, adjusting the hem of his sleeve. "My king,"

"Though the choice is yours," Donovan said, his voice subdued. "I would prefer if you didn't call me that,"

Tokaroaka hesitated, then nodded. "We should make camp on the fields, before we reach the hills. There are over a million souls below us, and all will be hungry soon,"

"We must plan my king," Crooked-Fang said, walking and stopping next to the sorcerer. "None know what lies ahead in these lands,"

Donovan exhaled slowly. "Very well, that sounds fine to me. How have we been feeding our forces so far?"

Tokaroaka made to speak, but Lyra brushed past him, interrupting the sorcerer. "We brought food with us, but it is running low. The soldiers can forage in these lands, but as for the people who came to us, they will be able to feed themselves for a day from what they scavenged from the battle outside of Eo,"

"And after that?" Tokaroaka said, his tone a challenge.

"After that," Lyra said, fixing him with a glare. "We will see what bounty the lands of Eo offer us, and give it to them,"

Crooked-Fang snorted, gripping a trident in his hands. "That will not work woman, you cannot possibly expect all those below to feed themselves by picking berries. If such things will even be found in these lands,"

"Eo is a bountiful land," A clear voice rang out. "A paradise. One you are about to defile,"

Donovan turned, spotting princess Esymia. He had not seen her for some time. The elf princess was a member of the Guardians, the residents of Eo. Runes glowed softly on her skin, fading after every pulse.

"So you're saying that we will find food for them," Donovan said, nodding. "Very good,"

"Food yes," Esymia said, her expression calm and unreadable. "But for every fruit you pick from the vine, you may find something far worse hiding in the bush. This land is not meant for outsiders, and will react accordingly,"

Donovan didn't respond to these words, turning away instead. "We will make camp then, in the fields. Spread the word,"

"At once my king," Tokaroaka said, bowing his grotesque mask.

"Father!" a voice said. Reqart ran up, stopping by Donovan as Mark approached. "Where did Aunt Grace and Uncle Seth go? Why did they leave?"

Mark reached his son, putting reassuring hands on his shoulders. "It's complicated Reqart, all of us are dealing with a lot,"

The boy struggled with the words, his expression worried. Finally he came to a decision, his face falling. "I was hoping everyone would come with us…"

Mark gave him a tired smile. "They will likely return. Don't worry for now,"

Reqart's stomach growled, prompting the boy to put a hand to it. "May we eat now?"

"Of course," Mark said. "Donovan, I know food is running low, but is there some you could give us? I can forage myself, if need be,"

"Don't worr-," Donovan began, then shook his head. "I am sure we have plenty of food. I will order a table set,"

"Babi and Princess Esymia usually eat with us," Reqart said, grinning. "And Uncle Donovan has amazing food from our home!"

Mark fixed Donovan with a puzzled stare. "Our home?"

The young man glanced away. "I was preparing Reqart for our return to earth. Though now it seems idiotic,"

"Come on!" Reqart said, pulling at his father's hand. "I want to show you soda! You too Princess Esymia and Babi!"

Babi silently approached, standing next to Mark and Reqart. She studied Donovan, her expression unreadable. He refused to meet her gaze.

"My king," Lyra said, also approaching. She stood next to Donovan. "I am the only one among your servants not bound by your will. I would ask that I eat at your table, by your side. As I will always be,"

Lyra found Crooked-Fang's trident rising up to her chin, its prongs held close to her throat. "You forget yourself," The Montre commander said, his voice low. "None would ever dare ask such a thing, or be foolish enough to consider themselves worthy to sit with our king. Speak again in such a way, and it will be the last words to leave your mouth," Crooked-Fang turned, nodding at Donovan. "Command it my master, and I will punish her for her folly,"

"No," Donovan said, his words barely above a whisper. "It's fine. I'm tired, and hungry myself. Crooked-Fang, I would like it if you saw to our causalities, and prepared a report on what all we lost in the last battle. Tokaroaka, can I ask you to send out spies and scouts, so we do not proceed blindly?"

"Of course master," Tokaroaka said, bowing his head.

Lyra shared a charged look with Crooked-Fang. The lizard's tongue forked out of his mouth, his eyes narrowed. "Yes my king," He said, keeping his eyes fixed on the young woman. "It will be as you say,"

The commander and sorcerer left, leaving Donovan with Reqart, Mark, Lyra, Princess Esymia and Babi. "If you wish it," Donovan said, turning towards a distant staircase. "You may all join me in the dining hall,"

"Hurray!" Reqart said, pulling on Mark's hand. "Come father, I can't wait to show you everything!"

Once in the dining hall, Donovan slowly took his seat on one end of the table. Lyra instructed the servants to pull a chair up next to him, and sat in it with perfect posture. She took Donovan's hand, resting it in hers on the table. The young man didn't bother to take it away, his mind heavy with what the future held.

Reqart sat at the corner of the table on one side, Mark joining next to him. Princess Ninja, a mutated Rook under Reqart's control, waited behind them against the wall. Her arms and chest were bandaged, having been wounded in a fight with a powerful elf prince. Princess Esymia sat across from the Reqart at the other corner, Babi next to her. It was strange having everyone crowded on one end. Donovan could feel a slight tension in the air, but ignored it.

"Father," Reqart said, kicking his legs under his seat. "Where are they holding mother?"

Mark briefly glanced at Princess Esymia. "That's a good question. I'm not sure myself. This is the first time I've entered these lands. From what your Aunt Esymia says, there are several places she could be,"

"It will be difficult," the princess said, clasping her hands in her lap. "Since your Uncle killed my brother, the Guardian kingdoms will be in chaos. She may already be dead,"

"Esymia," Mark said, his tone stern. "Do not speak in such a way to your nephew. Or about your own sister,"

The elf princess glanced away briefly, as if it could not be helped. "I have resigned myself to the slow death of my family, as well as my people. It would be wise for you to do the same,"

"She's alive," Mark said. "And we will find her," He turned to his son with a smile. "Don't worry Reqart, we won't stop until she's with us again,"

Reqart nodded, though his expression was uncertain. They were interrupted by the arrival of cooks. The servants wheeled in carts with silver platters and glass decanters. Donovan watched as plates were set before everyone. He turned to the elf princess. "When I asked before, you were not forthcoming. Now I am more serious, as I understand this world a little better. What can we expect in these lands?"

"I already told you," Princess Esymia said, waiting as a servant poured her a glass of wine. She brought the goblet delicately to her lips, sipping it and setting it back down. "The Guardians will not suffer your presence here, nor the beasts, nor the spirits,"

"Will we be attacked while we camp?"

Princess Esymia gave a slight shrug with one shoulder, picking up a silver fork as a platter of beef stroganoff was set before her. "I cannot say. This close to the gate there are few creatures save the wild ones. Word of my brother's death will travel quickly. I imagine the Guardians will deal with each other before they decide to destroy you and your army,"

"We have time then," Lyra said, letting go of Donovan's hand to pick up her own fork.

"Please pass the butter puppet!" Reqart said, grinning as he pointed at the dish.

Mark's brow furrowed. "What did you just call her?"

"A puppet!" Reqart said, oblivious to his father's gaze as Lyra passed the dish.

"Your friend has taught your son much," Babi said, speaking for the first time. She tilted her head as she cut into her stroganoff with her utensils. "You may be surprised to find Reqart does not see people the same anymore,"

Mark slowly turned to Donovan, fixing him with a serious stare. "Donovan, what have you been telling my son?"

"Uncle gave me a HUD!" Reqart said, beaming. "I can enslave puppets now, and make them do what I want!" He turned in his chair, pointing at Princess Ninja. "That one's mine! Hi Princess Ninja!" He waved. The hulking Rook nodded her head in acknowledgement, a beastly snort escaping her nostrils.

"How could you do such a thing!" Mark said, his voice raising. "I trusted you Donovan! I knew you wouldn't lay a hand on him, but to feed him such vile poison? He is a child!"

Donovan grew defensive, despite himself. "I was confused Mark, I thought this world was a game. It still might be for all I kno-"

"Don't," Mark said, his face growing dark. "Don't you dare speak those words. It doesn't matter if this is a game, or a dream, or a dammed nightmare! How we treat things, even things that aren't alive, reflects directly on our soul! Everything we do matters, from the smallest gesture to the greatest!"

"Fine!" Donovan said, then quickly quieted. "Fine," He repeated. "I was wrong, and I'm sorry. I'm still…dealing with all this,"

Mark turned to his plate, putting a trembling hand to his fork and attempting to take a bite. He gave up, resting his utensil on the table-cloth. Taking a deep breath, he stared down at his food. "I hope my son has not been lost to me, because I would never forgive you if it is so,"

"I'm not lost," Reqart said, confused. "And I like Uncle's magic! It's fun!"

"You will release her Reqart," Mark said, turning in his chair to gaze at Princess Ninja. "We don't enslave people. Not with the power we have,"

The boy's face fell into a pout as he crossed his arms. "I don't want to," He said, his tone sour. "Uncle says-"

"You will listen to your FATHER!" Mark bellowed, surprising everyone at the table. "NOT your UNCLE!"

Donovan had never heard Mark lose his temper, or raise his voice. Not in all the years he had known him. By the look of everyone else at the table, it was the same for them. Reqart scowled, then pushed his chair back with a loud scrape. He stormed over to Princess Ninja, who gazed down at him. The boy held out his hand. "Uncle," He said, his voice quiet. "How do I…undo the spell,"

Donovan slowly rose, approaching Reqart. Mark stood as well, watching from the table. Donovan knelt down next to the boy, instructing him on how to open his HUD. Reqart followed along. Together the young man and boy parsed through the menus, until they found the spell.

"I call upon the power of my own name," Reqart said, holding out his hand to the giant Rook. "Unbind this one from my will, and cleave our union,"

Silence reigned in the dining hall. Everyone at the table stared, waiting. Princess Ninja's shoulder sagged, then her eyes found Reqart. She slowly lifted a massive hand, then gently patted him on the shoulder. The boy gave her a weak smile, then returned to the table. Mark waited until his son sat down, then took his own place. Everyone slowly resumed eating.

"Trust me Reqart," Babi said, nodding. "It's better this way," She turned, eyeing Donovan. "And as soon as your "uncle" realizes this, the better it will be for everyone,"

Donovan ignored her, sipping from his glass. Lyra returned Babi's gaze with a glare, taking Donovan's free hand.

The only sound in the dining hall was the movement of utensils, and the heavy breathing of Princess Ninja against the wall.

Last edited:
Power Rankings For Those Who Enjoy Such Things
Lop's Tentative Power Ranking of Lyssrian Individuals and Occupations
(will update with monsters, creatures and spirits in time)​
5. Copper Rank Adventures
4. Silver Rank Adventurers
3. Gold Rank Adventurers
2. Saints, Diamond Rank Adventurers
1. Heroes, Demon Lords, Platinum Rank Adventurers (only rumored to exist)

Last edited:
Episode 2: The Lands of Eo Welcome You
Orange and yellow rays shown through the columned throne room. Particles of dust sparkled as they were caught in the fading sunlight. Donovan watched them float from atop his throne, his head resting in one hand. Beside him stood Lyra. The young Erie stared down the steps of the throne platform at those gathered before the steps.

There was Crooked-Fang, commander of Donovan's armies, as well Tokaroaka the master sorcerer. A giant gargoyle named Belok was also present. The winged creature was in charge of the hordes of flying creatures who served Donovan. He returned Lyra's gaze as his wings curled around his body, not even bothering to hide his hatred of her. There was also an Uhnut named Greis, master of Donovan's fleets. There were others of course, more masters of this and that, as well as various commanders and advisers. Mark and Reqart also waited at the bottom of the stairs, alongside Babi and Princess Esymia.

"My king," Belok said, his voice barely above a growl. "We are…concerned, that you have taken one such as Lyra into your confidence,"

"Far be it from us to question you master," Tokaroaka said, bowing his masked head. "But surely there is a better mate for you than your Master of Estates. She is needed, after all, for the managing of your household affairs,"

The ship master wrung his hands, a sheepish grin on his face. "I'm afraid I must agree my King, we wouldn't want to take Master Lyra away from her duties, now would we?"

"Listen to them," Lyra said, her voice tinged with contempt. "Am I child that I may only perform one task at a time? They will never understand my devotion to you,"

Donovan sniffed, straightening up in his throne. "Thank you for your concerns masters, I will take your words into consideration,"

Belok narrowed his eyes, the other masters looking equally dissatisfied. Lyra took a step forward, gazing down at them. "Are you done wasting our lord's time? Did he not summon you for a report on his armies?"

"I will tear your tongue from your mouth," Belok said, opening his wings to their full length. "I was not given command of the master's winged beasts so that a weak Erie would give me orders!" He flapped twice, sending gusts through the hall, then took off into the air. He landed halfway up the stairs, shaking the structure. With heavy steps he moved up towards Lyra, baring his fangs.

"That is enough Belok," Donovan said, his voice weary. "I have a headache, and I'm tired. Lyra will speak for me while I listen. Is that alright with you?"

Belok paused, his wings raising slightly. "In truth my master? We think she has bewitched you, and there are plenty of women we can offer you besides her,"

"She has not bewitched me," Donovan said, sighing. "I am the only bewitcher here, and if you do not return to the base of my stairs, I will show you exactly what I mean," The gargoyle hesitated, then flapped his wings and took off. He receded in the air, then brought in his wings, dropping down to the floor. The masters scrambled to get out of his way, letting out cries of panic as he landed and shook the throne room. Donovan nodded. "Thank you Belok. Now do not make me speak again, answer Lyra's questions, and allow me to fucking relax," He gestured lazily with one hand. "Please,"

With that, Donovan slumped back in his chair and closed his eyes. He heard Lyra's voice ringing out through the throne room. "Crooked-Fang, how many soldiers did we lose?"

The Montre commander didn't answer at first. "A little over three-thousand," he said, breaking the tense silence. "With two-thousand wounded,"

"How many does that leave us," Donovan said, resting his head back in his hand. His voice was only loud enough for Lyra to hear. She repeated the question down the stairs.

"Ninety-thousand," Crooked-Fang said.

Lyra looked over her shoulder at Donovan, who nodded. "Belok," She said. "Your numbers?"

"Thirty-thousand," The gargoyle said, his voice rumbling. Donovan would have to keep an eye on Belok. There was no doubt the large creature would snap Lyra's neck given half the chance.

The questions continued. Donovan learned he had two-hundred and forty warships left, as well as twenty-thousand beast riders. Stores of food, gunpowder and crystalline ship-fuel were numbered by the other masters, then Tokaroaka stepped forward. "My Rook spies are still scouting," The sorcerer said, his voice muffled behind his mask. "But they have orders to return by morning,"

Donovan briefly glanced at Princess Ninja. Despite no longer being mind-controlled, the massive Rook stood behind Reqart. The young man briefly considered whether he should give her control of her assassins again, then thought better of it.

"That will be all," Donovan said. "You may dismiss them," He winced, remembering his power. "If you wish,"

"Your King has heard you," Lyra announced. "Go now, we will reconvene in the morning," The throne-room slowly emptied, murmurs and the sound of movement drifting up to Donovan. He stood when everyone had left, walking to the steps. Lyra watched him pass. "My king,"

"It's late," Donovan said, picking up his cape with one hand as he descended. "I would advise you to get some rest," Lyra said nothing, watching him make his way down the stairs.

Donovan walked through the halls and corridors of the floating castle, reaching his room and the two Montre lizards who stood guard. One opened the door for him, Donovan nodding in thanks as he entered.

Once inside the room, the young man stopped, taking in the furnishings and décor. With a heavy sigh he unclasped his cape, letting it fall to the floor. Donovan made his way to an arched door that led out onto a balcony. He slowly approached the railing, putting his hands to it and gazing out over the land. The sun had disappeared behind the mountainous wall, casting the sky in oranges and purples. The hills beyond the field stood silently, their purple and silver trees swaying gently in the breeze. It was a beautiful sight, one Donovan allowed himself to enjoy.

A knock interrupted his thoughts. Donovan turned slightly, cupping a hand to his mouth. "You may enter," The door opened, and Mark walked into the room. He passed through the room to the balcony, stopping by the railing next to Donovan. He leaned on it, taking in the view. "Where's Reqart?" Donovan said, his voice quiet.

"Asleep," Mark said, still gazing at the distant hills. "He was curled up with Babi when I left. He's had a long day, from what I understand,"

"It must be nice to be back with your son," Donovan said, turning and staring out at the land.

Mark nodded. "It is,"

Neither man spoke for a time. Mark reached into his robe and took out a curled black pipe. He began loading it from a leather pouch, then snapped his fingers to light it. After a couple puffs, he let out smoke rings. They traveled into the air beyond the balcony, fading into nothing.

"You've started smoking," Donovan said, his tone dry. A small smile played at the corner of Mark's mouth. He reached in, taking out a second pipe and passed it Donovan. The young man held up a hand. "Smoking killed my father, I'm not a huge fan,"

"You might find it relaxes you," Mark said, setting it on the balcony between him and Donovan. "We have the power to cure cancer after all, and you seem to be under a lot of stress,"

Donovan didn't reply, gazing up at the night sky as it slowly overtook the orange and purple streaks of sunlight. "I'm sorry," He said, sniffing and turning to Mark. "About how I treated your son. I was…when I saw how you guys had changed, it scared me. I didn't want to become like you. I didn't want to take this place seriously, and get wrapped up in it,"

"I understand," Mark said. "At least a little. And you have to understand I would do anything for Reqart. I would give my life in a moment if I thought he would be better for it. It's difficult raising a child, especially in this world. Too many things can go wrong,"

"I wouldn't know," Donovan said, glancing down at the railing. "I still can't wrap my head around it, how much you guys have changed," After a beat of silence, he cleared his throat. "It seemed Grace helped you raise Reqart, though,"

"Many people helped me raise Reqart,"

Donovan nodded, almost to himself. "I suppose we're not talking about her, then,"

Mark gazed out at the hills. "If you wouldn't mind, I'd rather not," He glanced at Donovan. "Though, I must ask, what's what that girl? Lyra, was it?"

Donovan gave a small shrug, reaching out and picking up the pipe. He turned it around in his hand, then held it out as Mark took a pinch of tobacco and firmly pressed it in the top. The man snapped, lighting it for Donovan. "She's my master of Estates," Donovan said, putting it to his mouth. After a few puffs, the young man coughed, holding it away from him like a foul-smelling shirt. "Fuck, you made that seem so easy,"

"Couple years of practice," Mark said, grinning and placing his own pipe in his mouth. "Your Master of Estates seems quite fond of you,"

"Hm," Donovan said, resting his pipe on the railing. "I fucked her actually, in a moment of weakness,"

Mark raised an eyebrow and chuckled. "Donovan, you absolute dog,"

"I felt terrible at the time, because I thought I had finally given Jeff Benzos a proper view of my dick. Now though, I realize what I did was far worse," Donovan turned to Mark. "I enslaved her family line, and basically raped her,"

Mark was quiet for a few moments, turning back to the railing and puffing on his pipe. "Are you ever going to release her, like Reqart did to his servant?"

"I already did,"

Mark digested these words with a slow nod. "And she's still by your side," he said, tilting his head. "Interesting,"

Donovan tried his pipe again, taking another puff. This time he didn't cough, letting the smoke trail out of his mouth. "Not really. My people worship me as a god. Her whole family was killed in service to me. I can't even imagine how that fucked her up in the head,"

Mark sighed, nodding. "We all learned quickly what it meant to be a hero. We're all worshiped as gods, or we were, before we disappointed everyone by time-passing. There were times though where we could ask for anything and expect to get it. I know Justin took advantage of that,"

"Of course he did," Donovan said, snorting. "I'll be curious to know how he's changed,"

"He hasn't changed as much as you'd think. He has the ability to be a star in any world, and he took to this one well enough,"

The two men were silent, both puffing on their pipes. Donovan was getting the hang of it, though it burned his throat. "I deserve to die, don't I," He said, lowering the pipe.

Mark pursed his lips, as if thinking on it. "If there was any justice in this world, I suppose the answer would be yes. But we're the most powerful people in existence, save possibly the Demon King. I know we keep throwing around the term "gods", but its true. It's a sick irony that we're the only thing standing between this world and total destruction, and we're as bad as…who was in the Greek pantheon again? It's been too long," Mark exhaled slowly. "Anyways, I've killed more than my fair share of people while learning to control my magic. Accident or not, it doesn't matter. They're still dead, and they're families sure as hell didn't get any justice," Donovan didn't respond, his thoughts dark. "Hey," Mark said, giving him a light shove. "You want to go die, I can't stop you. But help me save the woman I love first," He leaned in close. "And don't let that Lyra woman fill your head with talk of destroying Eo. People who are capable of great evil are also capable of great good. Never forget that,"

Donovan slowly nodded, thinking on Mark's words. "If there's a real god somewhere out there, I'm going to hell. But I will help you first, I can at least do that,"

"There you go," Mark said, clasping Donovan on the back. "And don't forget, "the Events" haven't happened yet. We've still got waves of monsters and a Demon King to face,"

"Oh shit," Donovan said, furrowing his brow. "I assumed it happened sometime during my time-pass, and you guys handled it,"

Mark laughed. "Oh no my friend, not even close. With all our leveling, and passive-absorption, I'm still not even sure we'll be ready for when it comes." He knocked his pipe against the railing, then tucked it into his robe. Donovan did the same, handing his to Mark. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to force Babi to go to her own room and get myself some rest. This is the first night I'll probably get a decent amount of sleep, knowing Reqart's safe with me,"

Donovan gave him a small smile. "Thanks for being my friend Mark,"

"We're in this together," Mark said, patting his shoulder. "For better or for worse. I'll see you in the morning,"

The young man watched him go, then turned back to the railing. The stars twinkled down above him. Donovan had a lot to think on.

Some time later, another knock sounded on the door. Donovan passed through the archway, bending down to pick up his cloak from the floor. "It's open," He called.

One of the Montre guards opened the door, poking his head in. "You have another visitor, my king,"

Lyra entered, stopping as the lizard shut the door behind. Her head was lowered as she gazed at the ground. "Master," She said, her voice quiet.

Donovan slowly straightened up. "What is it," He said, his voice equally quiet.

"I would ask that I spend the night with you. I fear Tokaroaka may try and have me killed, now that he commands your assassins. And if not him, one of the other masters,"

With a sigh, Donovan approached a chair and laid his cape over it. "Christ," He said, massaging his temples. "If this is somehow still a game, this is an extremely fucked up thing to program in,"

"Master?"

"Please don't call me that," Donovan said, approaching a mirror. "If you wouldn't mind. You're a free woman now, and you don't answer to me," He inspected his face in the reflection, running a hand along the beginnings of his beard. He slowly unlaced his shirt, slipping it off and throwing it aside. He then took a pitcher of water and filled a wooden bowl on the stand in front of the mirror. Next he picked up a razor, bringing it to his chin.

"Allow me," Lyra said, crossing the room. Donovan paused as she came up beside him. She gently took the razer from his hand, walking in front of him. The two stared at each other in silence for a few moments. Lyra turned and dipped the blade in the bowl of water, then placed it to his chin. Donovan closed his eyes as she slowly ran it along his cheek. "What would you have me call you, if not master or king?"

"Donovan's fine," The young man said, keeping his eyes closed.

He felt Lyra pause with the blade. "I don't think I could do that," She said, resuming. "The others would hate me even more, if they were to hear such a thing,"

"I don't really care what the others think. I feel guilty enough about you already,"

Lyra continued shaving his chin, stopping to dip the blade in the water. She started on his other cheek. "There is no need to feel guilt. You are my king, one who is like the conqueror of old who defeated the world. I never told you this, but he was an Erie, one of my people,"

"Never meet your heroes, Lyra," Donovan said, opening his eyes and staring into hers. "I don't think I can be the destroyer you want me to be. I will disappoint you,"

"That is impossible," Lyra said, finishing his other cheek and moving down to his neck. "I would not serve you if it were so. I would hate you, in fact, if you were anything other than the true master of Vashn, he who conquered-"

Donovan raised his hand, placing it to Lyra's and stopping her movement with the razer. "Enough, please. Do not speak of legends and conquerors, or who you think I am,"

Lyra waited until he lowered his hand, then continued moving the razer along his neck. "You know," She said, her voice soft. "The others would not dare to hate me so, if you were to take me as your queen,"

The young man resisted snorting, simply rolling his eyes. "You have no idea what you're saying. And I know I wasn't that good in bed, I've had enough partners hint at it,"

"I wouldn't know," Lyra said, tilting her head as she focused on shaving him. "You were my first,"

"Goddammit," Donovan said, turning away and letting out a noise of frustration. "Of course, of-fucking-course,"

"Mast-," Lyra said, stopping herself. She tried again, struggling with the words. "Dono..van, please, I'm not finished,"

"I'll finish myself in the morning," Donovan said, approaching a table. He picked up a decanter of wine, pouring a generous amount into a glass. He drained it with a single gulp, then set it down with a loud thud. Donovan approached the large bed, slipping into the covers and rolling over to one side to face the wall. The sound of Lyra following reached his ears, her movements hesitating at the edge. He heard her dress slip from her shoulders, then she too got in, moving close to him. Donovan sighed. "Don't, please stay on your side of the bed, if you wouldn't mind. You can't possibly understand this, but our relationship is beyond fucked up,"

Lyra didn't react for a few moments, then quietly moved herself to the other side. Donovan rolled over, staring up at the ceiling. "I will never be your queen then," She said, her voice strained. "Is that what you are saying?"

Donovan closed his eyes. "You need to know that I'm on borrowed time. I'm going to try and make a few things right, and then…well, let's not spoil anything,"

Lyra didn't respond. Donovan listened to her breathing gradually slow, then he slipped into the unending darkness of sleep.

He woke with a start to a scream. Donovan groggily sat up, feeling a knife plunge into his shoulder. He gasped, seeing a dark figure wrapped in black cloth kneeling over him. "Guh!" He said, gripping the knife. "Get, go away!"

The figure obeyed, scooting off the bed. Donovan blinked in shock, looking over at Lyra. She was sitting up, clutching the blanket to herself with a look of horror. The door to his chambers was wide open, with more dark figures slipping inside. They all held blades, their faces covered with black clothes like ninjas. Donovan's mind reeled, then he noticed the figure at the end of the bed breaking free of his spell. He pointed at it, gasping again from the pain. "Kill your comrades!"

The figure turned, charging the other intruders. Donovan took in the room, spotting more figures entering from the balcony. "Master!" Lyra screamed, struggling towards him.

"Fall on your swords!" Donovan yelled, throwing away the covers and sweeping his hand across the room. "All of you!"

The figures paused. Trembling, they brought their blades in front of them, then toppled over. Donovan winced as they the swords plunged through their chests and ripped out the other side, protruding upwards.

The room was deathly quiet. Donovan breathed heavily, as did Lyra. The two looked at each other in shock. "T-tokaroaka," Lyra said, shaking.

Donovan glanced down at the knife in his shoulder. He gripped it. "If I pass out," He said. "You'll need to perform the healing spell," Lyra slowly nodded. Donovan closed his eyes and ripped the blade out, a torrent of blood following. His HUD appeared, flashing red. Donovan mumbled the words to the spell, then felt his wound closing up. When it was finished, he threw the knife at the wall and stood. Approaching one of the figures, he leaned down and tore away the cloth mask.

An elven face stared back up at him. It was grayed, with markings carved into it in strange patterns. Lyra slowly approached behind him, peering over his shoulder with the blanket clutched to her. "Who are they," She whispered.

"Not Rook," Donovan said, standing. "Which means it's not Tokaroaka," He stared at the open door to his room. Outside lay the bodies of his Montre guards. "Come on," Donovan said, rushing towards the door. "Stay close,"

Once in the hallway, Donovan heard distant screams. He rushed down the hall, coming face-to-face with two more assassins. They stood over the body of an Uhnut maid, their blades dripping with blood.

Donovan grit his teeth in anger. "Kill each other,"

The elves obeyed, plunging their knives into each other's throats. Both fell backwards, clutching at the handles. Donovan took Lyra's hand and continued down the hall. The sound of steel on steel reached his ears. He rounded the corner into a large hall. Montre guards and Vashn knights battled elven assassins with steel and spells. Donovan took in the scene, then took a deep breath. "Everyone stop!" Both sides did, their swords hovering in the air as the spells faded. "All those who call me King," Donovan said. "Kill the intruders,"

The Montre lowered their tridents, thrusting them into the chests of the assassins. The knights raised their swords and brought them down, cleaving heads from bodies. The slaughter took only a few moments, then Donovan rushed through the hall.

"My king!" One of the knights yelled. Donovan turned, spotting his Order Master of the knights, Hayume. The knight stood dressed in a sleeping tunic, his blade glinting in the light of the hall's pyres. "They're everywhere! We will go with you!"

"No need," Donovan said, guiding Lyra towards them. "Protect her with your life, and get as many to safety as you can,"

Hayume froze, then nodded. "Yes my king,"

Donovan broke into a sprint, heading for the stairs that led down to the guest rooms. He reached the top, finding more assassins climbing up it. "Get out of my way!" He yelled. "Then break your fucking necks!"

The assassins paused, then straightened up and stood against the wall on either side of the staircase. They dropped their weapons, placing both hands to their heads and twisting. Donovan heard the sickening snaps, his stomach turning. The assassins collapsed. He rushed down past them.

The bodies of Montre guards and knights littered the hallway. Donovan ran over them, tripping on one and struggling to right himself. His heart beat in his chest as he pounded his arms. The corridor ended in another hall. A bell sounded, then one of the walls blew away in a wave of debris. Donovan covered himself, coughing as the dust billowed outward. When it cleared, he saw Mark on the other side of the hole. The man held a bell in one hand, and clutched Reqart to him with the other. The legs and torso of several assassins slowly fell to the floor, their top halves missing.

"Mark!" Donovan shouted, rushing towards him.

"Donovan!" Mark yelled, shepherding Reqart through the opening. "What's going on!"

The three met among the rubble, stopping. "We're under attack," Donovan said. "Elves, Guardians I guess,"

Mark's expression grew dark. "We're in trouble then,"

"Yeah no fucking shit," Donovan said, glancing over his shoulder. An assassin's body flew through the doorway on the far end, a spear made of light protruding from it. Babi followed after, clutching another light-spear in her hand. She wore a sleeping gown, though her face was set with anger.

Reqart seemed in shock, but broke out of it upon seeing the young woman. "Babi!" He shouted. "Over here!"

Babi rushed over to them. Mark took a step forward, gripping the bell. "Where's Esymia!"

"I don't know," Babi said. "All these rooms look the same,"

"We have to find her," Mark said. "Before they get her. She could be the target,"

Donovan put his hands to his face, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "We're all the targets," He said, lowering his hands. "But yes, we'll stick together and look for her, and kill as many of these bastards as we can,"

The group made their way down the hallway Babi had emerged from. They were forced to step over the corpses of both Montre guards and assassins. Mark covered Reqart's eyes, guiding the boy around the carnage. At the end of the corridor was a wide door that led into a massive chamber. The sounds of fighting drifted towards them, and at the end, an assassin pinned an Orga servant against the wall. The assassin plunged his knife into the Orga several times, letting the servant slide down the wall to the floor.

Donovan pointed at the elven intruder. "Bash your head against the wall until you die," The assassin placed both his hands to the wall and reared his head back, then brought it forward with a sickening sound. The figure stumbled back, then slowly approached the wall again, placing his hands to it and repeating the motion. Donovan and the others hurried past.

Once through the arch, the group was met with a raging battle. Princess Ninja stood in the center, roaring as she gripped two assassins, one in each hand. She brought them together, smashing their bodies with all her might. Around her were Vashn knights and elven assassins locked in combat. Cries of pain and fury echoed as the wounded crumbled before Donovan. He pointed at the nearest assassin. "Kill your comrades!"

A fireball roared through the air, incinerating most of knights. Assassins climbed up Princess Ninja, while more dropped on her from the ceiling. The Rook let out another roar, geometric shapes appearing around her and slicing her assailants with razer sharp wind. She gripped an assassin climbing her back by the leg and brought him down into the floor.

Another fireball materialized, enveloping Princess Ninja and throwing the Rook against a wall. Donovan staggered back against the heat, searching for the source of the spell. More assassins ran into the hall, leaping on the knights and finishing them off. Donovan pointed at the first three. "Stab yourselves!" They obeyed, driving their swords into their bodies and collapsing.

"A witch," A calm voice said. "Rid yourselves of yours ears, Shades," In response, the assassins hastily took their blades and cut off their ears, some plunging the weapons into the openings. Donovan, Mark, Reqart and Babi watched in horror. The assassins were unfazed, finishing their self-mutilation and approaching.

"Oh fuck," Donovan said, taking a step back. A new figure entered the hall, gripping Princess Esymia by the arm. They were taller than the other elves, wearing flowing robes and a bronze, smooth mask without any features save for a series of small holes. Donovan pointed. "Let go of the princess,"

The figure paused, then glanced at Princess Esymia. They turned their bronze mask back to Donovan and the others. "It seems I am above your magic. Kill them my Shades,"

The assassins rushed forward. Babi let out a yell, throwing a light-spear with all her might. It impacted into the first elf, rocking them backwards. Babi summoned several more light-spears, throwing one after the other. They all found their targets, then the young woman twirled and unleashed geometric spell patterns.

Mark backed up, holding Reqart as the boy clung to him. He seemed hesitant to use the bell in his hand, watching as Babi took on a score of assassins by herself. Princess Ninja roared, erupting from the wall and barreling into the group of attackers. She brought down both fists, then swung them side to side, throwing up bodies into the air.

Donovan joined Mark, watching as Babi and Princess Ninja tore into the assassins. The young man's eyes found the figure in the bronze mask. "What are you waiting for," Donovan said, his voice tinged with trepidation. "Use your bell magic,"

"I can't," Mark said, seemingly resistant to Donovan's voice. "It will kill Princess Esymia, and possibly Babi and the Rook,"

"Shit," Donovan said, gritting his teeth. "Who the hell are these guys!"

The masked figure pushed Princess Esymia into the arms of several assassins standing next to them. The figure then drew two curved blades and stepped forward. Strange, flowing patterns appeared in the air, then a dark cloud snaked across the ground. It curled up around Babi, flowing into her mouth and choking her. A second dark cloud found Princess Ninja, ensnaring her and forcing itself down her throat. The masked figure charged both of them, raising his blades.

"Mark!" Donovan yelled.

The man stepped forward, raising his bell and ringing it once. The hall shook as the ringing reverberated through it. A series of shockwaves traveled outward, expanding and striking at the figure. The masked elf held up their swords, their robes tearing away from their body by the force of the spell. Babi and Princess Ninja were thrown to the floor, the dark smoke dissipating. Princess Esymia and the assassins holding her were also thrown back, hitting the wall and rolling down it.

When the ringing stopped, the masked figure was left standing naked save for his bronze face-covering. He slowly lowered his swords, then pointed one at Mark. Black smoke materialized in front of the blades, solidifying into stakes and exploding forward. All of them impaled Mark, sending him spinning to the floor.

"FATHER!" Reqart yelled, dropping down next to him.

The figure lowered himself, then charged Donovan with unnatural speed. The young man stumbled backwards, shielding himself with his arms. The figure jumped into the air and pointed both blades downward. Before he could drive them into Donovan, a shape blurred past the young man and thrust a trident in the air. The impact of steel against steel echoed through the hall.

Donovan lowered his arms, seeing Crooked-Fang gripping his trident with both hands. The Montre's scaly arms and chest were scarred with fresh wounds, dark blood seeping from them. "My king!" Crooked-Fang yelled. "Get back, I will take this one!"

"Will you now," The figure said, slipping a sword from the trident prongs. He brought it around, but the lizard commander was just as fast. Crooked-Fang spun his weapon, deflecting the blade with the butt of his trident. He leapt backward, bending down low as his tail swept the floor. Crooked-Fang then charged forward, thrusting with his trident in a series of rapid motions.

The masked figure brought up his swords in a blur, deflecting the attacks. Crooked-Fang pointed a claw, geometric shapes appearing around his body. Water seeped up from the floor, twirling into geysers and surging forward. The masked figure bent his body left and right, the water roaring past him. He spun forward, landing neatly on the toes of one foot and driving his blades forward. Crooked-Fang deflected one of the swords, but the other found his thigh. He roared, bringing up his trident and tearing three deep gashed across the figure's chest.

The masked elf stumbled backwards, then pointed his hand. More strange shapes appeared around him, then a tornado of fire enveloped Crooked-Fang. Donovan watched in horror as the lizard fell to his knees, his scales blackening. "My…king," Crooked-Fang said, then fell forward on his face.

A roar filled the hall. Princess Ninja galloped on all fours, slamming into the figure and knocking him backwards. The masked elf landed with his feet on the far wall, bending his knees for leverage. Before he could spring forth, two spears of light impaled him, driving him backwards against the stone. He dropped one of the swords, the steel clattering on the floor. He gripped the other with both hands as the light-spears faded. Babi charged him, summoning more of the weapons.

Before she could reach him, Princess Ninja sprinted past her, shaking the hall. She slammed a fist into the figure, then another. The masked elf dropped his other sword as he exhaled in pain. Princess Ninja picked him up by both arms, then with a mighty roar tore them from his body. The elf screamed in pain, dropping down in a heap. The large Rook raised her foot, bringing it down and crushing the figure. She brought it up again, stomping. Princess Ninja repeated the motion until she was satisfied.

Donovan watched Princess Ninja straighten up. Reqart trembled as he held onto Mark, his father lying on the floor. The boy pressed his face into the man's chest, sobbing. "Father! Please!"

"You know how to heal him," Donovan said. "Do it,"

Reqart nodded with a tear-stained face, then held his hands over Mark and began the spell. Donovan took in death around the hall, spotting several elf assassins pulling Princess Esymia towards the far door. "Babi!" Donovan yelled, pointing. The young woman shot across the hall, flinging her spears with all her might. The first drove into the assassin on Esymia's left. The other brought down the one on the right. Both fell to the floor, leaving the elven princess upright and shaking.

The hall grew quiet. Princess Ninja approached Crooked-Fang's corpse, bending to kneel over him. Donovan took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. The smell of death was overpowering. The young man glanced at Mark. Reqart finished the spell, and the man opened his eyes. "ooohh," Mark groaned, putting a hand to his chest. Reqart helped him sit up. "Did…did we win?"

"Maybe," Donovan said. "I don't know how many are left," He started across the hall, stepping over corpses and making his way towards Princess Esymia. The elf stood near the door, slowly bringing up her arms to hold herself. Donovan passed Princess Ninja, who slowly straightened up. The young man paused. "You did good," He said, nodding at her. "Thank you,"

Princess Ninja glanced down at Crooked-Fang. Donovan did the same. The Montre commander was dead, his body burnt to a blackened husk. With a quiet sigh, Donovan continued on. He heard Mark standing behind him. "Is everyone alright?"

"No," Donovan said, stopping a small distance in front of Princess Esymia. She slowly met his gaze. The young man pointed at one of the assassin corpses. "Who the hell are these people,"

The elf princess didn't answer for a few moments, her whole body trembling as she hugged herself. Finally she swallowed. "They…they should not exist…they…have only been rumored…"

"Who are they," Donovan repeated, narrowing his eyes. Mark and Reqart came up on one side of him, Babi and Princess Ninja on the other.

"Shades," Esymia said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I did not think they existed…they shouldn't exist…it's…impossible,"

Donovan raised both arms, presenting the hall. "Well, they exist, and they've killed plenty already. So tell me everything you know,"

Princess Esymia slowly brought her hands up to her head, holding it. "I know nothing," She said, her expression shocked. "I thought I knew everything, but I know nothing. These things cannot exist, to create one from a Guardian is…sacrilege,"

Donovan's hand curled into a fist, his temper flaring. He glanced at Princess Ninja. "Gather all the masters I have left, and tell Master Hayume to come find me. I want all the assassins in the castle dead, and once that's done," Donovan took a deep breath. "I am going to starting burning this land to the fucking ground,"

With that, he turned, storming for the nearest archway. Princess Ninja took off in the opposite direction, moving unnaturally fast for her size. Mark, Reqart and Babi watched Donovan go, the bodies of the dead pooling blood around them.

Last edited:
Just discovered this gem today - got to say it's one of the best isekai and overlord stories I've ever read. Really plays with the questions of whether this is reality or not better than any isekai or self-insert I've ever seen. Unlike much of the genre you have much faster pacing, nothing feels wasted. Plays very cleverly with RPG elements as well. This should be a Magna and an Anime - better than 98% of what on offer.

Episode 3: Smoldering Fire
The flower fields of Eo stretched towards jutting hills. The morning sun had not yet reached either, its blazing glory held back by massive mountains. Over a million people were camped among the vibrant greenery. Their tents and clothing fluttered in a strong breeze as they all faced a clearing in the field.

Around the perimeter, soldiers raised wooden crosses. Others heaved the bodies of dead elves up onto them, securing them with ropes and nails. In the center of the clearing was a giant pyre. Montre guards and Vashn knights carried the bodies of their fallen comrades to it, respectfully placing them among the wood.

Donovan stood in front of the pyre, flanked by his masters and guests. His hair and cape were buffeted by the wind, but he barely registered their movements. Instead he watched the procession of dead bodies as they were brought to the pile.

After the last of the knights lowered their brethren, a single figure approached. It was the Unfeeling-One, the blind Montre champion. He carried the body of his father, Crooked-Fang, wrapped in purple cloth. Everyone was silent as they watched the lizard reach the pyre. The Unfeeling One gingerly placed the blanket onto the wood. He straightened up, turning as another Montre brought him a torch. He took it, holding it over the pile.

Donovan's expression was hardened. The Unfeeling One bent down and held the torch against the wood, keeping it there. Smoke drifted up, the fire spreading through the wood. It crackled as the sound of splitting timber drifted over the field. The flames spread, and soon the entire pyre was engulfed. Donovan watched the smoke pour up into the sky.

"My king," A voice said. He turned, seeing Lyra beside him. She was flanked by Tokaroaka and the Order Master Hayume, as well as Greis, the master of ships. Behind them was Belok and the remaining servants who had survived last night's attack. Lyra looked past Donovan at the pyre, then met his gaze with the same hardened expression he wore. "We must speak,"

"How many did we lose," Donovan said, turning back to the burning pile. The wind picked up, tugging his cape against him.

Lyra drew her cloak to her, the other masters watching. "At least a hundred Montre, and as many knights. We also lost many servants, as well as crew for our warships,"

Donovan's gaze found the Unfeeling One, who stood framed against the flames. The Montre seemed unfazed by the smoke and fire billowing mere feet in front of him. "I'm going to make Crooked-Fang's son the new commander of my forces," Donovan said. "But I will be losing a champion in the process," He glanced at the gathered servants. "Unless you masters know of a better candidate," None of them spoke. Donovan nodded. "Very well, he will be one of you, from this day forth. As for the servants and crew, find competent refugees to replace them,

The Unfeeling One lifted his head to the sky, his tongue forking out briefly. He turned, walking away from the burning pyre. "Unfeeling One," Lyra called. "Your king has something to say to you,"

The blind leper shifted in the direction of her voice, approaching. He stopped a respectable distance in front of Donovan. The young man cleared his throat. "In light of your father's passing, I am in need of a new commander of my armies," The other Montre slowly gathered to witness the exchange. "Kneel," Donovan said. The Unfeeling One got on one knee, lowering his head. Donovan approached, raising his voice so that all could hear. "Your father served me well," In response, the Montre surrounding the Unfeeling One banged their tridents once on the ground. Donovan took a deep breath, then continued. "Two battles he led, and two battles he won," Again the Montre banged their tridents on the ground. "He was always by my side, aiding me at the Capital, at the Risen Node, and at Caldus Bramble," The Montre banged their tridents three times. The Unfeeling One kept his head lowered, listening. "He saved my life against assassins, giving his own in the process," The lizard warriors began beating their tridents in a steady beat, filling the air with the sound. "With his death," Donovan paused, the rhythm of the tridents shaking the ground. "I am now in need of a new commander of my legions. So I have made a decision. From this day forth, you will be known as Commander Fangson, leader of the armies of Vashn," The Unfeeling One, now known as Fangson, raised his head to look up at Donovan with unseeing eyes. The Montre continued to bang their tridents, the sound growing faster. Donovan lifted a hand. "Rise,"

Fangson did so, slowly bringing his fist to his chest in a salute. "My King,"

Donovan nodded, looking out over the gathered Montre. "Look upon your new leader! Commander Fangson, master of the armies of Vashn!"

The Montre raised their tridents in the air. "HAIL! HAIL COMMANDER FANGSON!"

The wind shifted as wood within the pyre cracked, sending up a plume of smoke. Over a million faces watched as Fangson turned and stared upon the fire. Donovan studied the blind Montre, then looked for Mark. He found the man standing among the masters, alongside Reqart, Babi and Princess Esymia. They were all dressed in heavy cloaks against the wind, as well as hoods.

Donovan walked through the masters, who parted for him. He paused by Tokaroaka. "Bring me the head of the elf leader," He said, then continued on. Reaching Mark, he stopped, then looked to Princess Esymia. The elf pulled the side of her hood close to her face, looking away. Donovan turned his gaze back to his friend. "Mark,"

"Donovan," The man said, his tone somber and tinged with weariness.

"I'm going to summon Ozadias. I want to know what those things are that attacked us,"

Mark nodded. "He'd probably know,"

Donovan gestured vaguely. "Do you have any, I don't know, sand or something,"

Mark reached into his robe, drawing out a leather pouch. Donovan held out his hand. "I'll do it," Mark said, opening the pouch. He knelt down, pouring a fine white powder on the ground. The wind swept away some of it. Mark replaced it and pressed it into the ground with his thumb. He spat in the center. "Ozadias,"

A flash, followed by smoke, appeared in the air. When it cleared, the spirit of wisdom, Ozadias, hovered in front of them. He wore the same flowing garments he always wore, as well as his floppy, pointed hat. The brim was low, covering his face in shadow.

Donovan raised his chin, fixing the spirit with an unflinching stare. Tokaroaka came up beside him, a cloth bundle in his hands. Donovan took the bundle from him, slowly unwrapping it. The cloth fell away to reveal the head of a grayed elf, its face covered in markings. Donovan unceremoniously tossed the head. It landed in the grass before Ozadias. "What is this," The young man said.

Ozadias didn't bother looking. He bobbed in the air, his robes moving in the wind. "Greetings heroes," the spirit said, bowing its head.

"I asked you a question," Donovan said. "Answer it,"

"They are known as Shades," Ozadias said. "Once Guardians, but no longer. They are creatures borne of smoke and shadow,"

Princess Esymia approached, looking up at Ozadias. "Spirit," She said, her voice clear. "Such things are abominations to my kind. Who did this," A look of pain crossed her face, but only briefly. "Who is responsible,"

Ozadias tilted his head slightly, though his face was still obscured by his floppy hat. "There are many who have had a hand in such practices. Though I heard the voice of the one who first commanded them. Calstar, of House Sarius,"

Princess Esymia slowly closed her eyes. Donovan had a feeling she had already known the answer. "Brother," She said, her voice quiet. "What have you done,"

Donovan narrowed his eyes. "So they're what, zombies? Undead elf ninjas? How many are left?"

Ozadias glanced up at the sky, streaks of yellow heralding the rising sun. The spirit looked back at Donovan. "These lands hold a power in them that shields much from my gaze and knowledge, I can say little to answer your questions, save that a Guardian need not be dead to become a Shade. The ritual must be performed, on a certain evening, during a certain season,"

Snorting, Donovan gestured Tokaroaka towards the head. "Wrap that back up," The sorcerer obeyed, though it was clear he tried to keep his distance from Ozadias. "Well," Donovan said. "You are little help to me so far. I plan to destroy this land, what am I to expect?"

"Donovan," Mark said, his voice strained. "You don-"

"Speak spirit," Donovan said, interrupting his friend.

Ozadias continued floating in the air. "What do you wish to hear of hero? I can tell you much of the history, the creatures and others who call these lands home,"

"How many will oppose us. What are there numbers,"

The spirit drew its long, floppy sleeves in, clasping its hands together. "I cannot give you an exact number. There were originally seven cities, and the Guardians numbered millions at one time. As the centuries have passed however, the changes in these lands have not been made known to me,"

Donovan turned to Princess Esymia. "Well?" He said. "Care to answer?"

The elf lowered her head, her hood obscuring her face. "There are only five cities now, but many places in Eo are called home by many creatures,"

Exhaling slowly, Donovan nodded. "Well then, it seems we have our work cut out for us,"

"Donovan," Mark said, taking a step forward. "I understand you're angry, but warring against the Guardians is not the answer,"

"Oh? And how exactly did you plan to get Reqart's mother back? Ask nicely? Barter?" Donovan narrowed his eyes. "This world is the same as ours. The universal language is violence, that is the only thing anyone truly understands,"

"No," Mark said, his tone stern. "That is the way of weak men. We are not weak men. We have power beyond anything else in this world. The power to change things without resorting to violence,"

"Really?" Donovan said, raising an eyebrow. "Is that what you were doing at the Risen Node? You destroyed thousands of demons, as well as my own soldiers, with a single spell,"

Mark's face fell, but the sorrow quickly passed. He met Donovan's gaze. "I do not have much say in my magic. The path I chose had unintended consequences, and I wear these bells so that others do not have to bare their burden,"

"How noble of you," Donovan said, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

"Careful," Mark said, his own tone carrying a warning.

The two men stared at each other, their expressions hard. Lyra approached, putting a hand to Donovan shoulder. "My king," She said softly. "We await your orders,"

Before Donovan could respond, the ground began to tremble. Furrowing his brow in confusion, the young man looked around. The trembling grew, cries of panic and alarm spreading through the millions of pilgrims gathered on the field.

In the distance, the purple and silver trees swayed atop the jutting hills. A black mass emerged from the between the slopes, rapidly approaching. Donovan watched the mass grow closer and closer. "What the hell?" He murmured.

It revealed itself to be beasts, thousands upon thousands of them. They stampeded, baying into the air and kicking up dust. The pilgrims let out further cries of panic, rushing away from the approaching animals. Donovan took a step back, shocked.

"Fangson!" Lyra shouted. "Stop those animals!"

The blind leper reared back his head and yelled into the air, "Kiillll them!" He pointed his trident. Montre guards, Vashn knights and soldiers rushed forward in chaotic lines. Spells appeared in the air, raining fire and sharpened earth down on the stampeding beasts. They howled in pain, slamming into the ground and tripping up those charging behind them.

"Wait!" Mark yelled. "We don't have to slaughter them!"

"It's food you fool!" Lyra shouted, gesturing at the approaching mass. "We can feed our people for weeks with their meat!"

"We don't even know what they are!" Mark shouted back. "Or why they're stampeding!"

"No," Belok said, his voice a low rumble. "For once the Erie is right. I will feed these things to my warriors, for meat will keep them strong," He flapped his wings, sending grass and clothing trembling against the gale. Belok took off, letting out a roar. He was joined in the sky by other gargoyles, as well as giant owls, bats and crows. Belok stopped flapping, plunging down. At the last moment he opened his wings, soaring over the heads of the panicked beasts. He grabbed two, then flapped and flew back into the air. The other winged beasts did the same, diving down and pulling beasts from the herd.

The first of the animals reached Donovan's soldiers. They were met with pikes, tridents and spells. Cries of animal fury and pain rose up into the air, a massacre slowly unfolding. Donovan watched in a daze. Several of the beasts impacted against the pyre, sending up balls of fire. This only further panicked them, their cries reaching a fever pitch.

The butchering lasted twenty minutes. As the dust and noise settled, the fields were gripped in a strange haze. An eerie silence descended. Belok and his warriors circled above, dropping the animals they held to dash them against the ground. The bodies impacted with sounds that caused Donovan to wince. He turned away, noticing Reqart standing close to Mark. The boy held onto his father's robes for comfort. Babi rested a hand on Reqart's shoulder, an unreadable expression on her face.

"Fangson!" Lyra called. "We must gather the corpses, quickly! The meat must be preserved!" She turned, hurrying off towards the floating castle. It hovered low to the ground some distance away.

Donovan glanced at Ozadias, who watched the scene in silence. "You're dismissed," he said. The spirt disappeared in a puff of smoke. Donovan turned and slowly approached the piles of dead animals. He heard someone following, but didn't bother turning.

The beasts were like oxen, but none Donovan recognized. Their coats were a yellowish gold, and their horns folded together to form a near-perfect circle. Small nubs protruded from the circles, like thorns on a vine. The creatures' heads were oddly shaped as well, flat, and tall. Soldiers moved around Donovan, securing the beasts with ropes. They formed teams, pulling the bodies across the grass towards the castle.

"You got lucky," A voice said. Donovan looked over his shoulder, spotting Babi. He didn't reply, staring back down at the animals. She came up beside him, stopping. "Don't count on it holding out. These lands will consume you and everyone who follows you,"

"Tell me," Donovan said, his voice somber. "If you so desire. Did Grace raise you to be like her? Because all your haughty taunting is getting old,"

Babi didn't respond for a few moments, gazing upon the heaps of dead animals spread across the field. "She taught me everything I know,"

"Hm, that explains a lot. She was a royal bitc-"

"Don't finish that sentence," Babi said, though her tone was subdued. "Swearing doesn't suit you, it makes you seem like a child,"

Donovan sniffed, wiping his nose. "I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask why you came along. Did Grace tell you to kill me?"

Babi slowly shook her head, still gazing at the beasts. "I'm here to protect Reqart and Marcus, nothing more,"

"Then you're just as likely to die as us,"

"Maybe," Babi said, turning her head and gazing at Donovan. "But I am a Saint, and that makes me a lot more powerful than you,"

Donovan let out a single chuckle. "I don't know what that title means. And I doubt it, I'm a hero, which makes me as close to a god as you can get in this world,"

"Oh?" Babi said, raising an eyebrow. "And who told you that?"

"My own eyes, as well as Mark,"

Babi let out a laugh. "I've seen Marcus almost die a hundred times. If I or Grace wasn't there to save him, he would have. You bleed just the same as us,"

"True enough," Donovan said, conceding the point with a tilt of his head. "But between our martial and magic abilities, it's really not a contest. Trust me, I've dabbled in plenty of games concerning power, I recognize the hierarchies and rankings pretty damn well,"

"This is not a game," Babi said, her voice low.

Donovan didn't respond at first. The wind picked up, carrying the sound of the soldiers with it. They continued to work in teams, roping the beast corpses and dragging them across the grass. "I suppose I owe you an apology," Donovan said, turning to her. "Hanging you in front of my throne wasn't exactly…well, I was working under a lot of bad assumptions,"

"I do not think I would ever like to visit your world," Babi said, turning to face him. "If there are men like you there,"

The young man couldn't help but laugh. "Oh don't give me that. Your world has the same types of people as ours. You could say it's a fairly good imitation."

"I've met kings and princes across Lysseria. All of them treated their dogs better than you treat people,"

Donovan's expression soured, then softened. "I'm aware of what I did, and I'm trying to make it right,"

Babi looked unconvinced. "By burning Eo?"

"I mean," Donovan said, shrugging. "It'll get Reqart's mother back, right?" He glanced at the crosses surrounding the clearing. The bodies of the elves hung from them, their tattered clothing blowing in the wind. "And I'm not so sure this land is a paradise,"

"You're not so sure of anything it would seem," Babi said, scratching at her arm under her sleeve. "I will say this. I have seen the worst of you, and little of anything that would redeem you. The path you walk now is the same you've always walked,"

Donovan sighed. "You're like what, nineteen? Twenty? You talk like an old lady oracle or some shit,"

A hint of a smile played at the corner of Babi's mouth. "I've seen a lot, and was forced to grow up quickly. I'll see you die, if I'm lucky. Maybe by my own hand,"

"Yeah well, get in line," Donovan said, his tone low. He turned, walking away. He felt Babi's eyes on him as he did. He paused, turning back and pointing at her. "And you're hot, but not that hot, so cut that coy shit out, if you wouldn't mind,"

Babi looked surprised, then let out a laugh. "Oh," She said, smiling. "You are by far the most insecure king I have ever encountered,"

"Still a king though," Donovan said, scowling. He started towards the floating castle. "Might do you some good to remember that,"

The masters, as well as Montre guards and Vashn knights, streamed with Donovan towards Utan-Gora. The warriors dragged the carcasses of the animals, smearing the grass with dark blood. The floating castle waited ahead of them, hovering just barely above the ground. The drawbridge was lowered. It led up to the gate above the massive blood-fly hive it rested upon. Donovan joined together with the mob of people moving up it. They parted, giving him room.

Once in the columned room, the young man headed for the stairs to his throne. He was intercepted by Tokaroaka. "My king," The sorcerer said, hurrying up to him. He was followed by a Rook wearing a wooden mask and feathered cloak.

"Hm," Donovan said, pausing at the first step.

"My spies have returned from scouting the land," Tokaroaka said, bowing his head low. He turned, nodding to the Rook. "Tell him what you saw Cob,"

The Rook bowed as well. "A city approaches my king,"

"A city approaches?" Donovan repeated. "The hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I saw it myself," The Rook said, gesturing with a hand. "It's the tallest I have ever witnessed, with at least five rings of walls lying within each other, on the back of a great beast,"

Donovan stared a beat, then shook his head. "Fuck, a mobile Minis Tirith, just what I needed. And it's headed our way?" The Rook nodded. Donovan massaged his temples as he thought. "Alright, alright, here's what we're going to do, we're going to deal with this Mortal Engines bullshit, and I mean deal with it. I need to let these elves know I'm in town and I mean fucking business. Tokaroaka tell the ship master to prepare the fleet. Fangson should have his armies ready as well. And find Belok for me. We'll meet them head on,"

"Yes my king," Tokaroaka said, bowing quickly. He straightened up, grabbing the hem of his robe to hurry across the chamber.

The Rook bowed once as well, then turned. He came face-to-face with Princess Ninja, who had appeared from the shadows. The massive Rook towered over the smaller one, looking down at him. Donovan frowned, waiting to see what would happen. Princess Ninja lowered her head. Cob slowly lifted his mask, then put his hands on either side of her face. He pressed his forehead to hers, closing his eyes. "I'm sorry," He whispered, barely loud enough for Donovan to hear. After a beat he turned his head and lowered his mask, then hurried past her.

The young man watched him go, then turned to Princess Ninja. "Do you speak," Donovan said, his tone barely interested.

"Not if I can help it," Princess Ninja said, her voice gravely and strained. "I find it…painful, in this body,"

Donovan raised an eyebrow, appraising her. "Be a shame to waste your strength, and I do owe you for last night. What is it you wish to do here?"

Princess Ninja didn't respond at first. Finally she shifted. "I would like…to command my Rook again, in service to you,"

"Well," Donovan said, sighing. "I'm not so sure about that. Tokaroaka seems to be taking to it well enough, and it looks bad to be too indecisive. I learned that in a management class in college," Princess Ninja didn't respond, her shoulders rising and falling as she breathed. Donovan shrugged. "Still, I just lost a champion when I made Fangson commander of my armies. How good of a fighter are you?"

"You told me I did well last night, during the attack,"

Donovan nodded. "That you did," He mused, tapping his chin. "That you did. And you're still loyal to me?"

"I have only ever known your rule," Princess Ninja said, her voice cracking. "I have only ever served you, loyally,"

"I'll take your word for it," Donovan said, pausing. He snapped. "Tell you what. You told me once about traitors among my ranks. So I'll make you one of my champions, and I'll also let you run around my halls and ships and kill anyone who steps out of line. Kind of like a shadow enforcer. Would you like that?"

Princess Ninja's face was incapable of smiling, but Donovan could have sworn he saw the hint of one. A low growl escaped her mouth. "I would like that…a lot,"

"Excellent," Donovan said, clapping once. "Oh, but you're not allowed to touch Lyra, Fangson, Tokaroaka, Gries or Belok without my permission, understand? Oh, and especially not Mark and Reqart. Those two are absolutely off limits,"

Princess Ninja bowed her head. "It…will be as you say, my king,"

"Cool," Donovan said, turning to his throne-stairs. "You're dismissed," He climbed the steps, feeling the lack of sleep as he did. When he reached the top, he found the throne and sat heavily in it.

"Master," A deep voice said.

Donovan didn't even have to lean forward to know who it was. "Is that you Belok? Good. We're about to embark on a collision course with an elf city, and it sounds like its got layers surrounded by walls. That means its going to be your time to shine,"

"Forgive me," Belok said, his voice echoing up the stairs. "I..am not sure what you mean my king,"

Donovan adjusted in the throne, getting comfortable. "I mean when I give you the signal, I want you to terrorize the fuck out its inhabitants,"

Belok chuckled, the sound raising the hairs on the back of Donovan's neck. "I will gather my warriors, my king. It will be my pleasure,"

"Yeah I figured you'd like that," Donovan said, yawning. "Go on then, I'll let you know when it's time," Belok shifted, his heavy footsteps moving away. Donovan saw his massive form raise up and fly through the opening in the columns. The young man closed his eyes, attempting to nap.

He slipped into a half sleep, the movement of people waking him every so often. A voice finally roused him. "Donovan,"

The young man opened his eyes, then stood. Stretching, he approached the top of the stairs. At the bottom was Mark and Reqart. Babi and Princess Esymia were also present. Mark started up the steps. Tokaroaka also appeared from a staircase, hurrying to the base of the platform as Mark climbed. The shipmaster Greis followed.

"My king!" The sorcerer said. "We've loaded your soldiers onto the transports, and are ready to travel!"

"We've taken the most skilled from among the refugees," Greis said, hurrying to keep up. "And pressed them into service aboard our fleet!"

Donovan gestured idly. "Good, good, let's head out then,"

Tokaroaka reached the bottom step. "The refugees will not be able to keep up once we enter the hills and forests,"

"Did your scouts find anything dangerous?"

"They did not," Tokaroaka said, shaking his mask.

Donovan thought for a moment, putting his hand to his chin. He glanced at Mark, who was reaching the top of the stairs. "Well," Donovan said, shrugging. "They can always catch up later. I don't know where Lyra is, but tell her to make sure they have some of that meat from the beasts,"

Tokaroaka bowed. "It will be as you say my king,"

"Shipmaster, give the signal, move the fleet,"

The Uhnut grinned. "At once master!" He turned, rushing away with the sorcerer.

"Are we having fun?" Mark said, reaching the top and meeting the young man's gaze.

"Oh c'mon," Donovan said, returning to his throne and sitting heavily. "They have your elf wife, don't you want her back?" Mark sighed, snapping his fingers. Stone from the top of the platform heaved, then built up over itself to form a small stool. He sat down on it, facing Donovan. The young man pointed. "You better put that back when you leave, I don't want to trip over it,"

Mark rested his head in hands. "You are not making this easy Donovan,"

"Explain to me exactly what you think I'm supposed to do here Mark," Donovan said, turning his head with a weary expression, Distant horns sounded, and the floating castle shifted. The plains began to pass beyond the columns, the jutting hills growing closer.

Mark kept his head in his hands, his voice drifting from between his fingers. "They're not a monolithic entity Donovan, we have no idea where Gwelenain is, or who's holding her,"

"So let's start raising hell. Kick over a few rocks, scatter the roaches. We'll get some answers soon enough,"

"What we'll get is a war," Mark said, raising his head to look at Donovan. "And I'm tired of those. I've been fighting one for almost seven years. There's better ways,"

"Oh Christ you sound like Grace and Babi," Donovan said. "We're not going to go around knocking on doors, at least not without a big stick,"

Mark held his gaze. "Donovan, this won't be like the Kingdom Alliance, or the Eastern Empire. The Guardians are like," He furrowed his brow. "Gah, it's been too long. Like Mexico fighting Cortez. You're outmatched and outgunned,"

"Oh you have forgotten a lot. We used to be history buffs, remember? The conquistadors only won against the Aztecs because they had help. If anything, I'm like the Spanish, but with a bigger army,"

"Not the best group to model yourself after," Mark said, raising an eyebrow. "I remember that at least,"

"Well the metaphor breaks down if you think about it too hard," Donovan said, yawning. "You don't really know anything about this place, and neither do I. But I've got a pretty badass fleet, and if the elves aren't monolith, well…" Donovan gave him a small smile. "Divide and conquer, and all that,"

Mark lowered his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Just last night you were acting remorseful, what happened to that,"

"Fuck Mark, I almost died last night. So did you and Reqart. Are you really trying to go pacifist route on me?"

"I think I'm just tired of fighting," Mark said. "And I don't want to slaughter my wife's people,"

Donovan stared at him, feeling something tug in his chest. Finally he sighed. "Alright," Donovan raised a palm. "Alright, fine. I know I've been an asshole, not without reason mind you, but even I get tired of myself when I get too carried away," He voice grew subdued. "And, well, I'm still a monster. I'd like to change that at least a little before I die,"

Mark let go of his nose and raised his head. "So you won't destroy these lands?"

"We're approaching a city," Donovan said, gesturing beyond the columns. "When we reach it, I'll send out an envoy. Hell, I'll go with, and you can come too. We'll see exactly how willing these elf fuckers are to negotiate,"

Mark slowly nodded. "It's a good start," His stomach rumbled, prompting him to put a hand to it.

"Go tell the servants to get you and Reqart some food," Donovan said. "I'll have you summoned when we reach the city," Mark stood, snapping his fingers. The stone stool melted back into the platform, forming a seamless surface. Donovan coughed. "Show off," Mark gave him a tired smile, then turned and descended the stairs. Donovan settled back into his throne, watching the hills move beyond the columns.

Hours passed. Warships fanned out on either side of the castle, keeping a leisurely pace. Donovan slowly drifted back to sleep in his throne, waking with a start as horns blew. He sat up, blinking. "What's going on!"

Donovan stood and walked to the top of the stairs. He squinted beyond the columns, quickly spotting a dark shape as tall as a mountain. Dark clouds covered the sky, casting the lands in gray and shadow. As the shape grew closer, it revealed itself to be a massive city.

It was indeed like Minis Tirith. The bottom was wide, and encircled with a wall. The next level was smaller, and also protected by a wall. The layers rose up like a cake, ending with a gaint tree much like a weeping willow. Its branches and leaves flowed downward, forming a cover over the top levels of the city. Donovan glanced around, spotting Tokaroaka hurrying across the chamber. He was flanked by Lyra, Greis, and Fangson. "Get me a viewing spell!" Donovan shouted.

Sorcerers hurried to obey. A glassy oval appeared in the air before his throne, materializing into an image. It showed a close-up view of the city. Donovan studied its features. The walls were high and marked with towers on each level. At the top of the giant tree, a fortress unlike anything he had seen rested among the branches. It was curved, looping into itself, with towers that traveled out horizontally, then bent to rise vertically. Donovan could also make out the base of the city. It was a creature, barely rising above a forest of giant trees. The creature resembled a turtle, but with the legs and claws of a crustacean.

His servants reached the base of the stairs, Lyra breaking away to climb them. The other masters looked at her in anger, but she ignored them. "Get us within firing range," Donovan shouted. "Then stop, we're sending out an envoy," Mark appeared in the throne room, followed by Reqart, Babi and Princess Esymia. They all hastened to stare up at the viewing spell. "Princess Esymia," Donovan called, pointing at the image. "Do you recognize that city?"

Her expression showed that she did. "It is Theemoth," She said, her voice echoing around the columns. "Ruled by the line of Ulum,"

"And?" Donovan said, gesturing. "Are they hostile?"

"I do not know, they were ruled by my brother Calstar, as were the other lines," She fixed him with a piercing stare. "But you killed him, so it is any wonder who they serve now,"

Donovan snorted, rolling his eyes. "If you were helping Cortez he would be dead by now,"

Lyra reached the top of the stairs, rushing to him with a smile. "You seem your old self, my king,"

"Yeah, for now," Donovan said, gazing up at the view-spell. He glanced back down at Esymia. "How do I let them know I want to talk?"

The elf woman continued to stare into his eyes with the piercing gaze. "Allow me," She said, turning. She walked across the floor, her footsteps echoing. The masters and commanders parted, watching her. When Esymia reached the opening in the columns, she held out her hands. Color spilled forth from her fingers, shooting into the air like fireworks. They formed a symbol, one so bright Donovan and those in the throne room were forced to shield their eyes.

When Donovan lowered his arms, he saw colors rising up from the city. They too formed a symbol, just as bright as Princess Esymia's. She turned, looking up the throne at him. "They will receive your envoy,"

"Perfect," Donovan said, nodding. "Tokaroaka! Get me some champions! Princess Ninja too, if you can find her," He started down the steps, Lyra hurrying after him. When he reached the bottom, he glanced at Mark as he passed. "You coming?"

Mark nodded, then knelt down by Reqart. "Stay here, where it's safe,"

"I want to go with you," Reqart said, furrowing his brow. "I want to meet mother,"

"She may not be here," Mark said, patting his shoulder. "You should prepare yourself for that,"

Reqart seemed like he wanted to protest, but slowly deflated. "okay," He said, his voice soft. "But if you see her, tell her I'm up here,"

Mark smiled warmly. "I will," He stood and glanced at Babi, who stood next to the boy. "Can I ask you to keep him safe here?"

"You can," Babi said, kneeling down next to the boy and placing an arm around his shoulder. "We'll keep each other company,"

Mark turned to go, but Reqart broke away from Babi and hugged him. "Be careful father,"

Mark patted his head. "I will Reqart, this won't take long,"

Donovan waited for Mark to catch up. A large, slender figure appeared, wrapped in bandages. It was the champion Gitch, a strange creature with immense power. It was joined by King Orga, an armored Orga with a massive butcher sword. Princess Ninja climbed up into the throne room from the outside, passing between the columns. Tokaroaka approached Donovan, holding the wrapped head of the Shade Master. The young man accepted it, nodding in thanks, then passed it off to Gitch. The elongated creature took it like a prized treat, clutching it close.

A single warship rose up in front of the opening in the columns. Its side wheeled open, and a boarding plank extended. As Donovan and Mark waited, Princess Esymia joined them. Neither man said anything to her, and she did not say anything to them. When the boarding plank reached the edge of the throne room, the trio started across it, the champions following.

The interior of the warship was hot, and noisy. Donovan and the others were escorted by crewmembers to the front, where an Uhnut captain saluted. The short gnome-like creature stood next to a massive panel of wooden knobs and levers, too complex for Donovan to understand. Instead, the young man nodded. "Take us close, drop us of off by the gate and wait,"

The warship broke away from the castle. It turned in the air and traveled towards the city. The giant turtle-crab bearing it slowed, coming to a stop among the trees. The canopies around it swayed, the sky above growing darker.

When it neared the city, the warship slowed, descending through the air. Donovan could make out ships taking off from the different levels. They looked like Di Vinci's helicopter, but with more balloons, as well as crystals fanned out on either side in a neat array. "Fuck," Donovan said, his voice low. "That better not be more laser bullshit,"

"Sure looks like it," Mark said, staring intently. Donovan glanced at Princess Esymia, who did not react. Instead, she watched the city, her expression guarded.

The warship lowered near the shell of the giant turtle-crab, coming to a stop in front of a towering gate. It was hard to call it a gate, as it was a massive, bronze-colored circle, big enough for several warships to travel through. A person on foot certainly couldn't reach high enough to enter.

When the warship touched down on the shell, Donovan and the others made their way through to the gangplank. Crewmen lowered it for them, and the envoy walked down to the shell. They approached the gate.

Instead of opening, a circular stone platform appeared from behind the wall. It traveled up and over, then down, revealing several figures atop it. Donovan signaled for everyone to stop and wait.

The stone platform hovered inches above the monstrous shell. Robed figures stepped off it, some holding flags with strange symbols. As they neared, Donovan saw they were like elves, but with blue skin and halos. The halos were bright white, hovering over their heads and not quite connecting. Where there was a gap in the halo, a small blue fire burned.

The figures stopped before Donovan's envoy, a single robed figure stepping forward. It was a male elf, his eyes studying each member of the group. When he reached Princess Esymia, he folded his hands together. "Princess Esymia, of the line of Sarius," The blue elf said, nodding his head in a sign of respect. His voice was quiet, and reserved. "I did not think to find you among the defilers,"

The elf princess raised her chin. "I am a prisoner, it would seem, Gargara of the line of Ulum,"

"I see," The blue elf said, turning to the others. "And which of you speaks for the defilers?"

"Yeah that would be me," Donovan said, gesturing vaguely. "I'm their king or whatever. We're looking for an elf named Gwelenain, do you have her?"

The blue elf named Gargara tilted his head slightly, studying Donovan. The young man didn't like the look. "We do not," He said, his voice still soft.

Donovan waited for more, but Gargara was silent, simply staring at him. "Okay," Donovan said, slowly. "Do you know where we might find her?"

"I'm afraid searching for her is not a path that is open to you," Gargara said, glancing to the side, as if the conversation was trivial.

"And why's that? Are you going to stop us?"

Gargara kept his head turned, but his eyes found Donovan again. "That is what Liloth has commanded,"

"Liloth?" Princess Esymia said, her eyes wide. "The Great Spirit who would have my sister? Gargara, what are you saying! You cannot possibly serve him!"

The blue elf turned his head, staring into the princess's eyes. "You have been gone a long time, second daughter of the line of Sarius. Your brother is dead, his contract with the spirit yet unfulfilled. As such, Liloth now holds the title of Arch-Guardian Supreme, and commands the Guardian lines,"

"He is not a guardian!" Esymia exclaimed, her voice strained with emotion. "How can this be!"

"Things are changing," Gargara said, his voice growing soft. "That is all I will say. Now come, leave the defilers and join us. We will protect you,"

"Like you protected my sister??" Esymia said, her voice filled with aguish, as if the blue elf had betrayed her.

"Gitch," Donovan said. The champion extended an arm, passing the wrapped bundle. Donovan took it and tossed it between the two groups. In unraveled, the Shade Master head rolling from it. Gargara and the other elves stared down at it. Donovan pointed at the head. "That is the fate of all who oppose me. You will let us pass, or I will grind your city to dust, and nail your kind to crosses for all to see. Oh, and take some heads, I think I'm going to start collecting them,"

Gargara looked up, staring into Donovan's eyes. "It is war then, defiler. You are not the first to enter Eo, not even the strongest. The last invader was forced to watch as we flayed his army from dawn until dusk, putting hot coals to their skinned bodies. Then we took his eyes and did the same to him,"

Donovan scowled. "Looks like we've both got fucked-up plans for the loser. Better hope it's not you," Gargara gave him a small smile. It was not kind.

Mark stepped forward. "Wait, surely this is not the only way," He turned to the blue elf. "Do you really wish for there to be war? For untold death and destruction?"

Gargara turned without a word, heading back for the floating platform. The other elves stared at Donovan's envoy, then followed. Donovan spat to the side, then headed for his own warship. "Come on Mark. If they want a fight, we'll give them a fucking fight,"

With that, he stormed up the gangplank of his waiting warship. Mark stared up at the city, lines of worry creasing his face. Exhaling slowly, he shook his head, then turned and followed.

Last edited:
This Mark guy is getting on my nerves. Seriously, they are already invading, which country that has any pride in their military would just let the invaders do as they wish? If they don't curbstomp this invasion it would send a bad message throughout the generations - That the lands of Eo can be invaded and conquered.

This Mark guy is getting on my nerves. Seriously, they are already invading, which country that has any pride in their military would just let the invaders do as they wish? If they don't curbstomp this invasion it would send a bad message throughout the generations - That the lands of Eo can be invaded and conquered.

I can't really defend Mark, because you're absolutely right, Eo doesn't suffer that shit. But dammit if he's not going to try anyway, cause he is "Tired" the character.

In a way, this world is alot more fucked up than ours, or its just more pronounced.

Also, LOAD THE BOARDING TORPEDOES!

Well, medieval societies didn't have any of the diplomatic channels and protocol for de-escalation we have today that chiefly evolved out of the Mutual Assured Destruction principle brought about by WMDs and the increased availability of forums of nations to settle their disputes. Plus the international community tend to be much more reactive to warmongering these days.

Back