Hades is moral compared to the rest of the Greek Gods

You also have Artemis' stunt with some of the descendants of her brother...through Asclepius and Hippocrates.

They pretty much had sworn their fathers oath and were healers, when Artemis decided that they must go hunting with her, and they said that they couldn't because it would violate their oaths...so, she turned them into monsters (The Melusine), which pretty much had Apollo and Asclepius ban her followers from medical help in retaliation until Zeus intervened.

You also have Artemis' stunt with some of the descendants of her brother...through Asclepius and Hippocrates.

They pretty much had sworn their fathers oath and were healers, when Artemis decided that they must go hunting with her, and they said that they couldn't because it would violate their oaths...so, she turned them into monsters (The Melusine), which pretty much had Apollo and Asclepius ban her followers from medical help in retaliation until Zeus intervened.

The Melusine is a Celtic water spirit. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Yes, Hippocrates lived in the 5th century BC, which is Classical Greece (the age of Pericles), he's a historical, not mythical figure.

Also, Asclepius famously got smote by his grandfather after Hades complained about him bringing folks back from the dead.

I will submit that as another point in Hades' favor- someone directly messes with his domain, and Hades complains, rather than smiting. Granted this resulted in smiting, but that wasn't the aim, Hades just wanted the resurrecting of the dead to stop. And in some versions Asclepius got godhood in the end (though with a promise to not resurrect the dead).

So, you're accusing everyone else *except* Athena, and somehow making it be Athena's fault?

How do you get that from what I said?

I'm accusing Athena of tossing the deciding vote after hearing that argument.

If your argument was that she sided with the Greeks, and that she should have sided with the Trojans, that'd be one thing, and you could make an argument for it.

But you're blaming her for entering a beauty contest because the winner (who did not pick her) decided to steal someone else's wife?

Couldn't you equally well say that entering the contest and trying to win it (rather than Aphrodite), and thus preventing the whole debacle, was the only way she would have had to save the Trojans and many other Greeks in the first place? (let's remember that the war was a catastrophe for the Greeks as well, killing many many heroes, kings, princes, etc)

Heh, yea, trying to beat Aphrodite is arguably justifiable, but the 'throwing military support to destroying a city over it,' was disproportionate at best, and she is the goddess of Defensive War, so going on an offensive one is out of character to begin with.

Also on her rap sheet of ambiguous 'varies on how bad it is,' there's the whole Arachne thing. Granting that Arachne did call her out first and Athena handled it better than Leto handled Niobe.

We're still in the high-side of the Greek Gods here, honestly.

I'm going to stand by Artemis as the best of the gods with enough myths to really be in the contest (Hestia might be better, but that's because she's a background character who never gets any myths, so never has the opportunity to be shown doing wrong)

I'm going to stand by Artemis as the best of the gods with enough myths to really be in the contest (Hestia might be better, but that's because she's a background character who never gets any myths, so never has the opportunity to be shown doing wrong)
She's the adult in the room among the gods, which is terrifying when you think about it.

I will submit that as another point in Hades' favor- someone directly messes with his domain, and Hades complains, rather than smiting. Granted this resulted in smiting, but that wasn't the aim, Hades just wanted the resurrecting of the dead to stop.
Note: I believe that generally, Zeus gives Asclepius a warning (sometimes several) to stop stealing from his great-uncle, which Asclepius disregards, before lightninging him.

What good deeds do you consider Artemis to have done? In regards to bad deeds, let's remember Artemis is the one that demanded the aforementioned sacrifice of Iphigenia, and did the standard 'send a monster to destroy people, because you feel slighted' with the Calydonian boar.

It also seems to me that some people seem to be just trying to figure out who's done the fewest crimes, rather than compare number & extent of good deeds vs number & extent of bad deeds?

Last edited:
What good deeds do you consider Artemis to have done? In regards to bad deeds, let's remember Artemis is the one that demanded the aforementioned sacrifice of Iphigenia, and did the standard 'send a monster to destroy people, because you feel slighted' with the Calydonian boar.

She also replaced Iphigenia with a doe at the last second and transformed her into the goddess Hecate.

She saved Atalanta after she was abandoned on the mountainside, and when she wasn't honoured by one of the kings of Greece, rather than "destroy people" through a plague or what have you, she sent a boar that didn't kill anyone - it was specifically noted to destroy vineyards - and then Atalanta (the girl Artemis rescued, and basically the only female Greek Hero) killed it, and was greatly honoured. That kinda rings like a long con, to me?

And she spends a lot of her myths killing rapists, which is pretty neat.

EDIT: oh, and she was goddess of midwifery, so there's all the good that theoretically comes from that.

Last edited:
She also replaced Iphigenia with a doe at the last second and transformed her into the goddess Hecate.

Eh, I prefer the version by Euripides where she's just transported to the Taurians instead (and there, ironically, she is made to perform human sacrifice in the temple of Artemis of any trespassing Greeks).

Because having Hecate be Iphigenia is just...ugh. Hesiod has Hecate be a pre-Olympian deity, respected by the Titans, and then still respected by the Olympians. Hecate is *old*, having her be an upgraded Iphigenia diminishes her importance significantly in my view.

Eh, I prefer the version by Euripides where she's just transported to the Taurians instead (and there, ironically, she is made to perform human sacrifice in the temple of Artemis of any trespassing Greeks).

Because having Hecate be Iphigenia is just...ugh. Hesiod has Hecate be a pre-Olympian deity, respected by the Titans, and then still respected by the Olympians. Hecate is *old*, having her be an upgraded Iphigenia diminishes her importance significantly in my view.

That's a take you can have, sure. But that doesn't make the other interpretation not valid.

The Melusine is a Celtic water spirit. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
While the most well known mention is a twisted version that came about later, it's mentioned with regard to the Hippocrates wikipedia page, but I'd heard about it far earlier in a mythology class. That used Artemis rather than the roman Diana, and went into the aftermath with a pissed off Apollo being involved in it.

I think Asclepius predates Hippocrates by a fair bit, given that iirc Hippocrates was a historical figure raised in a tradition that venerated Asclepius.
It tends to be more of a lineage thing where Hippocrates is supposed to have descended from Aclepius and thus Apollo...

Note: I believe that generally, Zeus gives Asclepius a warning (sometimes several) to stop stealing from his great-uncle, which Asclepius disregards, before lightninging him.
Several version have Asclepius imprisoned rather than blasted, being a lesser god at the time, Zeus freeing him with conditions at a later point in order to heal someone.

Back