Well I just got back from watching it and had a good time. The thing that I remember the most was the first trailer that came on before the movie started was the one for Aliens Covenant. The mood whiplash was real. I was thinking until the Marvel trailers came up that I might have been in the wrong theatre. wonder if I watched that movie I would get the Guardians' trailer before watching it.
Are you saying that trailer was more memorable than the movie? Surprising.

I got trailers for Pirates (looks interesting), Wonder Woman (also looks interesting, may likely see it even though I've been down on DC films for a while) and Spiderman (I was trying to avoid trailers for that because I'm gonna see it regardless.) And I think maybe some other totally forgettable things.

Are you saying that trailer was more memorable than the movie? Surprising.

I got trailers for Pirates (looks interesting), Wonder Woman (also looks interesting, may likely see it even though I've been down on DC films for a while) and Spiderman (I was trying to avoid trailers for that because I'm gonna see it regardless.) And I think maybe some other totally forgettable things.
Ah no, I found the movie far more interesting than that trailer. I just found that moment sorta memorable because of how out of place it felt compared to the movie.

When I saw Guardians we had previews for Star Wars, Thor, Kingsman, and some movie about a pop culture feminist magazine? Maybe others, but I only really remembered the first three because they were hot, and the latter one because I was really confused as to what the movie was about.

For me it was Star Wars, Pirates, Thor, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Kingsmen, and Transformers. It was really cool to see the Thor Trailer in 3-D

saw the movie, and the stan lee cameo, i feel, doesn't exactly support the idea that he's a watcher.

he's in an astronaut suit telling other watchers some stories and when they leave, he complains that they were supposed to be his ride home.

I found a movie soundtrack forum site which had the Soundtrack and Score interleaved in movie order, but I lost/never wrote the link down so I can't point people to it directly. I can make a go of writing it down here, transcribing from my iPod:

1. Fox On The Run (The Sweet) - Trailers music
  2. Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) (Looking Glass) - Meredith and Ego in Missouri (plays in-scene on the stereo of their car)
  3. Showtime, A-holes - before the Abilisk arrives
  4. Mr. Blue Sky (Electric Light Orchestra) - Baby Groot's Cute Dance while Guardians get their asses kicked (plays in-scene from Rocket's speakers)
  5. vs. the Abilisk - Finishing the cosmic horror off, then a "polite" chat with the Sovereign
  6. Lake Shore Drive (Aliotta Haynes Jeramiah) - Leaving Sovereign (plays in-scene from the Milano's tape deck)
  7. Space Chase - The quantum asteroid field and an unexpected rescue
  8. Starhawk - Yondu and Stakar discuss Yondu's falling out
  9. The Chain (Fleetwood Mac) - Peter, Gamora, and Drax leave with Ego and Mantis (plays in-scene in the Milano, presumably a copy made by Rocket)
  10. Southern Nights (Glen Campbell) - Rocket pwns the Ravagers (plays in-scene, Rocket hums along at times)
  11. My Sweet Lord (George Harrison) - Arrival on Ego's Planet (does not play in-scene; if Ego thought of it, he probably could have had the planet resonate to the song.)
  12. Family History - Ego gets his virtual Jor-El on
  13. The Mantis Touch - Mantis and Drax bond, Mantis fears for their safety
  14. Groot Expectations - Baby Groot tries to help Yondu and Rocket out
  15. Come a Little Bit Closer (Jay & The Americans) - Yondu and Rocket leave a lot of bodies in their wake (plays in scene - looks like Yondu and Kraglin had a copy)
  16. Mammalian Bodies - 700 jumps is way too much
  17. Bring it on Home to Me (Sam Cooke) - Peter and Gamora dance and talk about family (plays in-scene on Peter's walkman, at least)
  18. Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) (Looking Glass) - Ego discusses his worldview with Peter and prepares to convert him to his side (plays in-scene, both characters discuss it)
  19. I Know Who You Are - Ego shows Peter Eternity, but makes a big mis-step; Yondu gives Rocket the straight dope about the two of them
  20. Two-Time-Galaxy Savers - Yondu practices mining ship defenestration, then the gang gets out of dodge to go to the core
  21. Wham Bam Shang-a-Lang (Silver) - The Sovereign show up, making things even more annoying than usual (plays-in scene up in the Quadrant; Kraglin is listening to it)
  22. Guardians of the Frickin' Galaxy - Big Sovereign battle scene, ending with a group shot that goes pear-shaped
  23. Ego - Ego wakes up, and he is PISSED
  24. Kraglin and Drax - Our heroes are on the ropes, Drax avoids becoming a green pancake with Mantis
  25. The Expansion - Ego tries a second time to use Quill-brand Light Batteries
  26. The Chain (Fleetwood Mac) - Peter goes Super Saiyan (not that he knows what that is - but you know he would've loved DBZ if it had existed at the time)
  27. Mary Poppins and the Rat - Yondu and Rocket regroup after the bomb is planted, Yondu makes his choice
  28. Gods - Peter and Ego have it out
  29. Dad - Yondu rescues Peter at the cost of his own life
  30. A Total Hasselhoff - This is how a Ravager is buried...
  31. Sisters - Nebula and Gamora part, with the air cleared between them
  32. Father and Son (Cat Stevens) - ... and this is how a Ravager is honored
  33. Surrender (Cheap Trick) - Credits Sequence pt 1
  34. Flash Light (Parliament) - Credits Sequence pt 2
  35. Guardians Inferno (The Sneepers feat. David Hasselhoff) - Credits Sequence pt 3, with the characters (except for Drax) dancing in the background.

I liked the movie quite a bit, but for one thing that kinda befuddled me.

Ego and Quill are both immortal, right? As long as the light at the center of the planet exists they will? Why wouldn't he just wait a few thousand years for Quill to develop a more immortal mindset so he'd help with his Expansion thing voluntarily? I mean, he's been implied to have been working on the 'having a kid' thing for millennia, why not wait a few more thousand years for your progeny's mindset to properly develop? He's literally billions of years old after all.

Ego and Quill are both immortal, right? As long as the light at the center of the planet exists they will? Why wouldn't he just wait a few thousand years for Quill to develop a more immortal mindset so he'd help with his Expansion thing voluntarily? I mean, he's been implied to have been working on the 'having a kid' thing for millennia, why not wait a few more thousand years for your progeny's mindset to properly develop? He's literally billions of years old after all.
Probably because he was so starved for socialization with others 'like' him (and to get his plan on the road) that he was simply too overzealous and tried to do it as quickly as possible.

Because Ego doesn't realize how different from him Peter is

His name is Ego, not Patience.

Did they ever explain why Peter who apparently had enough power to supercharge Ego to do his planet take over thing was somehow still dependent on Ego to power himself? I mean that was Ego's thing wasn't it? He couldn't power the 'turn the universe into him' on his own, so he wanted a ki to help him....but apparently Peter was just drawing on Ego's own power?

Did they ever explain why Peter who apparently had enough power to supercharge Ego to do his planet take over thing was somehow still dependent on Ego to power himself? I mean that was Ego's thing wasn't it? He couldn't power the 'turn the universe into him' on his own, so he wanted a ki to help him....but apparently Peter was just drawing on Ego's own power?
I think it was that Ego with his vastly greater experience was able to tap and better utilize Peter's Celestial powers to awaken his seeds, whereas Peter could only tap a small amount.

I think it was that Ego with his vastly greater experience was able to tap and better utilize Peter's Celestial powers to awaken his seeds, whereas Peter could only tap a small amount.
Alright, so I pretty much saw it like this.

Ego could make bodies, but they decayed. So by trying to make a hybrid kid, he was going to make a body that didn't decay but was able to keep itself going. So since Peter's body could keep itself going, it had to be producing enough Ego-energy to keep the Ego genes operational. Ego just used the extra battery to double power himself. When Ego died, the special Ego energy cells died, I would assume, leaving just the human DNA to continue operating Peter's body.

No.

Ego could make bodies, but they decayed. So by trying to make a hybrid kid, he was going to make a body that didn't decay but was able to keep itself going. So since Peter's body could keep itself going, it had to be producing enough Ego-energy to keep the Ego genes operational. Ego just used the extra battery to double power himself. When Ego died, the special Ego energy cells died, I would assume, leaving just the human DNA to continue operating Peter's body.

That sounds like a sufficiently comic book explanation. Lets go with that. :V

Although :

When he admitted to putting the tumor in Meredith's brain it sounded like he did it because humanity was starting to rub off on him, for all his ego. I take it that he was being honest at that point.

Remember Ego explaining his history? How he basically flew around for a long time before learning how to tap into his powers? And then he had to practice manipulating matter before he could use it to its full potential? (Specifically the multiple shells of the planet, for example.)

That progression implies that a Celestial - or at least an Ego-type Celestial - takes time to grow into their powers. With that in mind I'd argue it is likely Peter still has all his latent Celestial powers. He just can't do anything with them yet. Furthermore, if he isn't naturally immortal like Ego was Peter might not live long enough for them to "mature" to the point where he can use them without Ego's help.

The way it seems to be explained, both are drawing from the same source, with Peter's power being connected to Ego's source. While the power is infinite, the output is limited, which is why Ego needed two Celestial's to power the whole plan. Once Ego died, Peter lost his powers since his connection to it was through Ego.

Back