Sis-Con alert anyone? Did our adorable protagonist escape from home or are you all just speculating this? I for one would like it if the big brother is a nice person.

I... think people are speculating a little much there. The trauma that won was the monster of ash and dust, not the stalker. And with us knowing that they are mutually exclusive, I doubt Agnes' brother is going to turn into a stalker.

Chances are this was just a warm moment between them and he is dead at the current point in time.

I... think people are speculating a little much there. The trauma that won was the monster of ash and dust, not the stalker. And with us knowing that they are mutually exclusive, I doubt Agnes' brother is going to turn into a stalker.

Chances are this was just a warm moment between them and he is dead at the current point in time.
At the same time, though, we know that the monster won't be a generic one. Whatever's coming, it won't exactly be the stock Monster that Slaughtered our Hometown.

Plus, seeing the monster seems to share the family eye color, and one of the first things our brother does is boast about his ability to find us, it's hard not to draw a connection.

At the same time, though, we know that the monster won't be a generic one. Whatever's coming, it won't exactly be the stock Monster that Slaughtered our Hometown.

Plus, seeing the monster seems to share the family eye color, and one of the first things our brother does is boast about his ability to find us, it's hard not to draw a connection.
I get that, it is just... would a family member who ended up slaughtering everyone not also fall into being generic? So far, the writing of this Quest makes me feel like such an 'obvious' first thought is meant to be innocious by itself and misleading when interpreted at a glance.

It is possible of course, but that feels like it would be a bit too easy for an answer, if that makes sense.

Glad I noticed this. Fairy Tail always reeked of squandered potential, so I'm very happy to see the setting put to use.

I'm glad that Phantom Lord won - it's what I would have voted for, since it provides a different lens to view the world through.

Could the monster be the reanimated/possessed corpse of Agnes's brother? The phrase "Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust" refers to human burial. Plus it would at least partially explain why the monster shares the same eyes and why Agnes has those feelings towards it.

It would be interesting if he was killed, or on the verge of dying only to be saved by turning himself to a demon and having personality to follow it through.

Zeref messed with these kind of things after all.

Last edited:
011: Settling In
[X][Tail] "...Want the world to be safe and good and clean. For everyone."

[X][Guild] "...I want to join Phantom Lord."

Chapter 11: Settling In
- - - - -

Trait gained: [Hopeless Utopia]

Is it really so wrong, to want to see a world where everyone can laugh and smile and be happy? No. No, you don't think so. +25 to rolls aiding others, with a further +25 if it is someone you have a personal dislike/hatred against.

You watch as Master Jose shuffles around some documents on his desk, mumbling something about meaningless paperwork as he does so. The guild master seems to eventually get everything in order. He squints at one particular piece of paper, before flipping it around and sliding it across the desk, towards you.

"Alright. Everything appears to be in order." A pen materializes in his hands, which he offers to you. "Just sign down here and you'll be an official member of Phantom Lord."

Even as you accept the pen, you can't help but ask "Really? That's it?"

Master Jose gives you a questioning look, before transitioning to an amused chuckle. "What? Did you expect something else? A 'trial by fire' so to speak?"

You carefully sign the document, large loopy letters spelling out your full name. "I guess it would be pretty stupid… I just thought there'd be something, you know?"

Jose just shrugs. "Phantom Lord accepts anyone and everyone, so long as they are strong of mind and strong of heart. The strong of body part can come later."

You pause at this. Quietly, you whisper "...And you think I am then? You think I'm smart or brave or whatever?"

Instead of answering your question, Jose smirks slightly. "Welcome home, Agnes Brumschild, welcome home."

- - - - -

You slowly make your way down the stairs of the guildhall, back into the main chamber where you had played card. Just as you reach the bottom, a hand taps you on the shoulder. Spinning around, you come face to face with a grinning Totomaru.

"So… did you sign it?" he asks.

You proudly show off the bit of paperwork that Jose had handed you, freshly stamped and super official looking. "Yeah! As of two minutes ago, we're guildmates!"

Totomaru laughs. "No, we aren't."

You blink at the immediate denial. "What."

Totomaru pulls up his right sleeve, turning a bit to show off a small, pure black, tattoo of the Phantom Lord guild symbol. "You haven't gotten one of these yet! How are people gonna know that you're part of the guild if you don't have the guild mark?"

And with that, you are hurriedly ushered over to the bar. There, unhurriedly wiping down the bar, was… a man?

At least you thought the person was a man. It was really hard to tell, given that they were wearing a flowing multicolored full body cloak, with a smooth white mask covering up the entirety of their face.

"Carrey!" exclaims Totomaru, causing the masked figure to look up. You watch in slight bewilderment as the figure just sort of stares at the two of you. After a few moments of somewhat awkward silence, a large black question mark slowly fades into existence on the white mask. Was that really how 'Carrey' communicated?

As you pondered this question, Totomaru continues. "You have the stamp don't you?"

The question mark fades away, replaced by a stylized thumbs up.

"Well, Anges here just joined! And you know what that means!"

Carrey turns to face you. A white gloved hand reaches into the folds of the cloak, pulling out a small stamper from the darkness. He gestures at the stamper, then at you, before the question mark once again returns onto the mask.

Understanding the implied question, you put a finger to your lips and hum. "I think I want it…"

[][Mark] "...On the back of my hand."
[][Mark] "...On my upper shoulder."
[][Mark] "...On my lower back."
[][Mark] "...On my inner thigh."
[][Mark] Write-In?

"And for the color… I want it to be…"

[][Color] "...pink!"
[][Color] "...red!"
[][Color] "...blue!"
[][Color] "...yellow!"
[][Color] "...black!"
[][Color] Write-In? (Literally, any color is an option)

Carrey does unenthusiastic jazz hands in response to your requests. You guessed that meant it was alright?

- - - - -

You are seated at a table in the guildhall, half-heartedly listening to Totomaru yammer on about something or another. You were feeling… you didn't quite know actually.

It was a confusing mix of emotions, all the feelings broiling together into one homogenous blob. There was joy, of course. Who wouldn't be happy to get into one of the most illustrious guilds in the region? Excitement was there too, you were undoubtedly super looking forward to whatever lay ahead.

But… home. Home.

That word… Master Jose probably meant it as something warm and welcoming but… well it didn't matter anymore, did it?

"Home." you mouth out to yourself, the word tasting like ash on your tongue. What did that even mean anymore? What even was the point of it?

You are pulled out of your miserable thoughts by Totomaru, the boy impatiently tapping at your shoulder.

"-id you even hear what I said?"

No. "Yes."

The boy gives you an unconvinced look. "Then what was it?"

You blank completely. "It was… Uh…"

"Exactly. So pay attention this time! This is actually kinda important! I was asking you about where you were gonna stay from now on. Living in an inn isn't exactly cost-efficient is it?"

Once again, you are blindsided by Totomaru, though this time it is by the surprisingly thoughtful question that he asked. You didn't really have a place to stay, did you? You didn't have a home anymore.

You sit there, thinking about this dilemma, as Totomaru just watches on. Eventually, you look up and just sort of shrug helplessly. "Can't I just sleep here?"

"That… might actually be an option I think. I'm pretty sure that Jose's got a few spare rooms littered throughout the guildhall. But it's not exactly that private, is it? And it gets loud in here as well."

"What other choice do I have? Do you think anyone's going to sell or rent a decent room to this? And in a single day?" you say, gesturing to all five-foot-nothing of you.

"Maayybbeee?"

The two of you sit there for most of the rest of the day, coming up with and shooting down (your actually legitimate and Totomaru's completely nonsensical) ideas.

"...Okay okay, just follow me on this okay? What if we got a trench coat and you got on my shoul-" Totomaru's latest idea is brought to a halt by a voice from the next table over.

"Totomaru, you idiot," says Dax, the green-haired guy you had taught you how to play cards. "Willow's had an empty room she's needed to rent out for a while now, remember? Or did you forget about that while planning to pull the 'three-kids-in-a-trenchcoat' trick? Which I told you won't ever fool anyone."

Totomaru squawks in response. "It'd work! I know it would!"

Where are you going to stay for the foreseeable future?
[][Stay] Find a long-term arrangement at a hotel or something.
  • Pros: All the maintenance is taken care of automatically. Private.
  • Cons: On the expensive side. Not exactly protected. Can't modify anything.
[][Stay] Rent the extra room at Willow's.
  • Pros: Room-mate. Reasonable priced. Can modify the room however you want. There is an actual competent adult in the house.
  • Cons: Room-mate. Willow can be a bit of a mother hen. A bit out of the way.
[][Stay] Stay at the guildhall.
  • Pros: Cheap. Extremely well protected. Easy access to guild facilities.
  • Cons: Not that private. Loud. On the smaller side. Can't modify anything.
- - - - -

With all of that settled, you now were completely and officially part of Phantom Lord! You couldn't wait to leave everything else behind see what the future had in store for you!

What do you do/what happens in the next six months? (Choose 6)(Plan Vote)
[][Plan] Train your magic! (Grants 6 total training attempts)
- [][Plan] How?
- [][Plan] Ask someone(s) to join you/help you?
[][Plan] Hang out with someone!
- [][Plan] Totomaru challenges you to a game of hide and seek.
- [][Plan] Dax takes you on an impromptu crash course on how to be 'Streetwise'.
- [][Plan] Master Jose goes fishing, and you decide to tag along.
- [][Plan] Hey… down there by the river… it's that blue-haired girl from the guild! You should go say hi!
- [][Plan] Carrey needed some help manning the bar.
[][Plan] Go take some quests! Easy ones of course!
- [Plan] Invite anyone along?
[][Plan] Explore Oak Town.
[][Plan] Hang out in the guildhall, just talking and interacting with new people.
[][Plan] There's a pretty big library here in Oak Town. You should go check it out.
[][Plan] The guild is clean. But it's NOT CLEAN ENOUGH!
[][Plan] Write-In?

- - - - -
Ooh man, that's a lot of different votes. Sorry about that.

The first three votes are NOT to be put in a plan. Thank you.

Last edited:
[X][Mark] "...On the back of my hand."
[X][Color] "...black!"
[X][Stay] Stay at the guildhall.
[X][Plan] Hang out with someone!
- [X][Plan] Totomaru challenges you to a game of hide and seek.
- [X][Plan] Dax takes you on an impromptu crash course on how to be 'Streetwise'.
- [X][Plan] Master Jose goes fishing, and you decide to tag along.
- [X][Plan] Hey… down there by the river… it's that blue-haired girl from the guild! You should go say hi!
- [X][Plan] Carrey needed some help manning the bar.

[X][Plan] The guild is clean. But it's NOT CLEAN ENOUGH!

Get some friends and clean up our new home! Agnes can basically be a live-in maid!

Get some friends and clean up our new home! Agnes can basically be a live-in maid!
Though I full-heartedly agree with the cleaning option, she definitely should be taking the training option at least one or two times considering her profession. I can't see her doing absolutely nothing productive for half a year. :/

[X][Mark] "...On my upper shoulder."

Easy to conceal and easy to show

"And for the color… I want it to be…"

[X][Color] "...black!"

Should be good with her golden hair

[X][Stay] Rent the extra room at Willow's.

Only this variant allows us to modify things.

[X][Plan] To the beginning
- [X][Plan] There's a pretty big library here in Oak Town. You should go check it out.
- [X][Plan] Train your magic! (Grants 6 total training attempts)
-- [X][Plan] Experiment with creating a way to slide quickly and safely over ground to cover great distances.
--- [X][Plan] Call Totomaru to help with first aid when you inevitably slide in a tree or wall.
-- [X][Plan] Research flight. All witches should know how to flight on their brooms.
--- [X][Plan] See if you can use Oak Town library.
- [X][Plan] Hang out with someone!
-- [X][Plan] Totomaru challenges you to a game of hide and seek.
-- [X][Plan] Master Jose goes fishing, and you decide to tag along.
- [X][Plan] The guild is clean. But it's NOT CLEAN ENOUGH!

Last edited:
Though I full-heartedly agree with the cleaning option, she definitely should be taking the training option at least one or two times considering her profession. I can't see her doing absolutely nothing productive for half a year. :/
I get that, but I don't think we need to rush into it. We can settle in first before going all out for training. Honestly it'd make more sense to train as we clean, but I don't think that's an option since we can only take 6 choices.

[X][Color] "...black!"
- [X][Plan] Dax takes you on an impromptu crash course on how to be 'Streetwise'.
- [X][Plan] Hey… down there by the river… it's that blue-haired girl from the guild! You should go say hi!

Good, very good! I may not have much (or any really) knowledge of this setting but I know a good quest when I see one! Now then, on to my vote...

Thats probably the most appropriate spot.

[X][Color] "... Purple!"

I just like the color purple okay?

I was tempted to choose willow's place but I suspect staying here will lead to more interesting situations.

[X] Plan: Learning the ropes!
[X][Plan] Go take some quests! Easy ones of course!
- [Plan] Invite Totomaru
[X][Plan] Explore Oak Town.
[X][Plan] Hang out in the guildhall, just talking and interacting with new people.

Now that we are a part of phantom lord I can finally start my plan to make us into the 'scary head maid' as a long term goal! But for now we should start smaller. Let's learn about our new guild some more shall we?

Last edited:
[X][Color] "...pink!"

[X][Color] "...black!"

As for where to stay, The guildhall is great if you want to scrimp and save until we can get our own place,being the cheapest option. Willows, we'd be in it for the long haul, which is pro or con depending on how well we get along with willow. I'm fine with either.

[X][Plan] Go take some quests! Easy ones of course!
- [Plan] Invite Totomaru
[X][Plan] Explore Oak Town.

[X][Plan] Hang out in the guildhall, just talking and interacting with new people.

Last edited:
[X][Mark] "...On my lower back."
[X][Color] Mix of Black and White.

[X]Plan 'Start at the Beginning':
-[X][Plan] Train your magic! (Grants 6 total training attempts)
-- [X] Work on summoning solutions from other areas than our hands.
-- [X] Also work on creating more durable or more 'real' cleaning implements.
-[X][Plan] Hang out with someone!
-- [X] [Plan] Totomaru challenges you to a game of hide and seek.
-- [X] [Plan] Master Jose goes fishing, and you decide to tag along.
-- [X] [Plan] Hey… down there by the river… it's that blue-haired girl from the guild! You should go say hi!
-[X][Plan] Go take some quests! Easy ones of course!
-[X][Plan] The guild is clean. But it's NOT CLEAN ENOUGH!

Cleaning the Hall is going to be a full time 'hobby'/training exercise. Living there would be a cheap hell, even if they aren't as rowdy as some other Guilds.
We have magic ink for our Mark though, no reason to stick to a single color!
Training magic (cleaning the guildhall feels more like a character trait then training)
Master Jose feels like a puzzle at this point so exploring that seems fun. Totomaru will be the guy friend that generates Shenanigans while the blue-haired girl gets us a female friend and a riverside scene all at once!
Finally, we needs to pays the bills. Even if we are getting a cheaper place from a Guildmate.

Last edited:
[X][Mark] "...On the back of my neck."
[X][Color] "...black!"

[X][Plan] Soap and water.
-[X][Plan] Train your magic! (Grants 6 total training attempts)
--[X][Plan] How? Practice using multiple magics together like summoning items that have acid on them or summoning different items at the same time.
--[X][Plan] Ask someone(s) to join you/help you? That blue-haired girl from the guild!
--[X][Plan] Hey… down there by the river… it's that blue-haired girl from the guild! You should go say hi!
--[X][Plan] Carrey needed some help manning the bar.
--[Plan] Invite anyone along? That blue-haired girl from the guild!
-[X][Plan] Explore Oak Town.

Last edited:
[X][Color] "...black!"

[X][Color] "...black!"

[X][Color] "...black!"

[X] Plan Taking Out The Trash
-[X][Plan] Train your magic! (Grants 6 total training attempts)*2
--[X][Plan] Attempt once more to create a spell that'll allow you to slide quickly and safely over ground to cover great distances
--[X][Plan] Improve your Ethernano cleaning instruments spell by increasing your summoned armaments' durability*2

---[X][Plan] Ready your base template (a cleaning instrument) within your mind's eye -> imagine and focus approximately on what would be on the inside of the template and its properties beyond what it looks like on the outside (e.g. the wood or metal filling the inside of a handle, cloth in a mop head, etc.) -> project the cleaning instrument both with the appearance you'd usually superficially give it as well as "filling it in" with whatever material it would normally be made out of by having your Ethernano mimic the inside material
--[X][Plan] Improve your simple acidic cleaning solution spell by increasing the intensity and pressure of it's output in a more focused area*2
---[X][Plan] Concentrate on condensing the area your acidic cleaning solution expels from to the center of your palm -> maintain that tight hold and pour in the same amount of magical energy into the spell causing it to shoot out in a tighter area with more pressure (can use more magical energy to shoot it at higher speeds and pressure, but it will likely cause it to become more difficult to concentrate on keeping it contained to that one area of expulsion)
---[X][Plan] Assuming things go well with your introduction to Juvia, ask her if she could give you some tips on how to better manipulate liquids
--[X][Plan] Improve your simple acidic cleaning solution spell by making it so that you can reach the higher ends of acidity and basicity levels
---[X][Plan] Practice shifting acidity and basicity levels until you can reach those higher thresholds
--[X][Plan] Create a spell (or learn from a commercially available book if it's already available as a regular cleaning spell) that allows you to see dirt and grime much more easily to the point of being able to perceive them through walls
---[X][Plan] Funnel Ethernano through your eyes and focus on being able to see your eternal enemy dirt and grime -> focus this sight further to the point that you can perceive them through things such as walls by concentrating on ignoring any obstacles between you and the dirt and grime -> practice remaining aware of dirt and grime with your Ethernano-enhanced eyesight and try to stay aware of them even if new obstacles obstruct your path during the process or if the source of the dirt and grime moves behind other obstacles itself
--[X][Plan] Create a spell (or further refine the spell if the first attempt succeeds) that'll allow you to control pre-existing fluids generated by your acidic cleaning solution spell "telekinetically" (basically waterbending, but with bleach)*2
---[X][Plan] Focus on taking hold of the fluids created out of your Ethernano mentally and push and pull them in directions you desire -> get control enough to collect it into a ball and generally manipulate it from there aside from basic pushing and pulling the fluids in a single direction
---[X][Plan] Assuming things go well in your introduction to Juvia, ask her if she could give you some tips on how to better manipulate liquids
--[X][Plan] Improve your Ethernano cleaning instruments spell by allowing you to substitute materials in the constructs for other compatible ones (so no replacing a mop head with stone but you can replace it with hay or something equally flexible, replacing the handle with a metal one, etc)
---[X][Plan] Similar to your previous conjuration exercise, you'll instead imagine and simulate your Ethernano into another compatible material in place of an existing one, such as replacing the wooden handle of a broom with a metal one
--[X][Plan] Improve your Ethernano cleaning instruments spell by allowing you to "telekinetically" move them mentally after creation (so a stronger/sturdier and more precise version of the existing magic-manipulation, I think), allowing you to effectively fly on a suitably durable broom (assuming you can keep yourself steady on one without falling off) or allowing you to throw created cleaning instruments at foes
---[X][Plan] Like with your attempt at creating your "Bleachbending" spell, focus on connecting to and controlling your Ethernano-created constructs mentally -> practice properly manipulating the created cleaning instruments so that you can reliably move them in the directions and at the speeds you want (within your bounds of your base effective speed) -> see if you can't carefully and just off the ground ride on one of your created brooms while continuing to concentrate on this spell
--[X][Plan] Hey… down there by the river… it's that blue-haired girl from the guild! You should go say hi!

--[X][Plan] Invite Totomaru along to show you the ropes
-[X][Plan] Learn how to fight with your Ethernano mops and brooms as weapons
--[X][Plan] See if you can't convince someone in the Guild Hall who uses staves to help you learn the basics

Not bothering to choose the 'hanging out with Totomaru' sub-option as Agnes will already be spending plenty of time with him as he shows her the ropes in basic questing over the next 6 months, which is basically a social option in of itself. And yes, Agnes really should be questing since she's joined the Guild, if only to learn the general procedures, get used to it and make money to afford her bills, and to do her job in general. Might as well introduce herself to the obvious outlier of the Guild outside of questing, which should be interesting.

I'm having Agnes train herself up to basic competency both physically (via weapon-fighting since she's already "Fit as a fiddle") and magically since she's in desperate need of more potent spells and more well-developed spells.

EDIT: Took Naron's suggestion and derived something that's more in-line with an already existing spell while allowing it to be applicable to more than just flying; replaced one of the two "practice acidity and basicity threshold" options. Don't want the DC to be too absurd now when Agnes is just starting out, and this approach is much more basic and synergizes with the other strengthening options to her conjuring cleaning implements spell.
EDIT2: Thanks to Pittauro for getting me up to speed on who the blue-haired girl is, added in Agnes asking for some tips on how to better manipulate liquids from Juvia assuming their introduction went well.
EDIT3: Replaced the ill thought-out "Focus" spell with the Dirt Sight spell (which may or may not be commercially available as a base spell, who knows?).

Last edited:
Back