It might be better to encapsulate someone in a bubble using a surface tension trick on a bubble instead. It would probably be more reliable to trap someone rather than using scents to ensnare. We don't want out capture fouled by someone having a cold or something.
Scents would only be part of it, together with the warm water/soap solution, maybe a slow vibration to mimic a massage/hydromassage too.

We could actually COMBINE it with the bubble trick too, make that an extra step. The relaxation would make it even harder to escape from it.

Also the bubble can work as an improvised bath tube in the wild.

I do see how that could be useful, but I kind of doubt it would be.

As for one, Agnes would first have to completely soak someone while they are fully clothed and already in a bad mood.

It also feels like a lot of training for a "calm down person" spell. I am not sure I would even want such a spell for that purpose. It feels more like a luxury thing for Agnes to use on herself and friends to relax. Keep it in mind for later though, that may be a good stepping stone for something else or good for playing around once Agnes has a few more important tricks ready.

Oh, please remember that this is an AU and that may no longer be the case, or at least no longer of the same severity.
The idea would be that, depending on the effectiveness, it could go from a "calm down" spell to a "debuff/apply malus spell" to an "immobilize/capture enemy" spell.

The luxury aspect is a factor too. After all if Agnes is going to be the Cleaning Witch she HAS to always be clean, and be able to clean the people she talks quickly without bothering them (..too much)

About the "a lot of training" factor, if I remember right the more precise/small/specific the training step is, the lower the DC, and as long as we don't fail that DC we actually proceed to next training step/roll immediately, without waiting for the next turn. Am I right @Saturday ?

Still these was only a first try. The bubble trick for defense and captures are also good ideas, and another option would be to strengthen our summoned cleaning tools, then making them autonomous like in Disney's Fantasia. Possibly make them self-repairing/multiplying like that too.

I'll probably try to come up to a training plan for that later

Last edited:
Hey Saturday, whats the omake policy here like?
After looking at it, I quite like the way they do it over at My Huntsman Academia. Depending on the omake, I'll either give the writer the option to make it canon/non-canon or just rule it non-canon if it doesn't really fit in the world I planned.

The rewards would probably be something like a slight bonus to a friendship or a slight bonus/increase to a skill (depending on what the omake actually is)
Am I right @Saturday ?
Yah.

Thank you for elaborating, and that is indeed a valid reasoning. Crossed my mind too when I voted!

But, to me this answer is just "strength isn't the main goal". It doesn't shut it off, just asserts that it isn't the most important thing. Doesn't mean we won't be strong though. The difference is between "the cleaning magic witch, who is strong" and "the strong witch, who uses cleaning magic".
But, whats the thing that Agnes believes in that she's doing this for? To prove that Cleaning Magic can be powerful?
In that case Strength is kinda the only thing that matters. And being told, that Cleaning Magic is a bad path is a direct challenge to her belief, not just about strength.

But, whats the thing that Agnes believes in that she's doing this for? To prove that Cleaning Magic can be powerful?
In that case Strength is kinda the only thing that matters. And being told, that Cleaning Magic is a bad path is a direct challenge to her belief, not just about strength.
You guys are misunderstanding what the option means. The Master of Mermaid Heel told us that Cleaning Magic was a poor path, not necessarily a weak one. She told us, in no uncertain terms, that taking Cleaning Magic as our speciality means that we carry the high risk of never reaching our true potential, or for others to outstrip us in terms of strength even if their strength as a Mage is similar to ours, due to the simple fact that their magic is better suited for combat than ours. She told us that we carried the risk of never removing the stigmata of weakness, never being seen as "strong" because even if we are relatively strong compared to the average Mage, we are still "weak" because our peers have far outstripped us in strength due to the fact that our magic is not suited for combat.

The option "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me." states that what we believe in is better than betraying that belief for strength. Even if another path of magic could make us stronger, we're sticking to Cleaning Magic because we think that Cleaning Magic can become a strong magic. We will not regret choosing a stronger magic that could make us stronger than when we were using Cleaning Magic, because we believe in the potential of Cleaning Magic.

You guys are misunderstanding what the option means. The Master of Mermaid Heel told us that Cleaning Magic was a poor path, not necessarily a weak one. She told us, in no uncertain terms, that taking Cleaning Magic as our speciality means that we carry the high risk of never reaching our true potential, or for others to outstrip us in terms of strength even if their strength as a Mage is similar to ours, due to the simple fact that their magic is better suited for combat than ours. She told us that we carried the risk of never removing the stigmata of weakness, never being seen as "strong" because even if we are relatively strong compared to the average Mage, we are still "weak" because our peers have far outstripped us in strength due to the fact that our magic is not suited for combat.

The option "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me." states that what we believe in is better than betraying that belief for strength. Even if another path of magic could make us stronger, we're sticking to Cleaning Magic because we think that Cleaning Magic can become a strong magic. We will not regret choosing a stronger magic that could make us stronger than when we were using Cleaning Magic, because we believe in the potential of Cleaning Magic.
I'm not misunderstanding the option. I'm asking for what you think Agnes believes in that she is doing this for. Because that answer isn't broadly applicable to everything.
I thought I was fairly clear.
But, whats the thing that Agnes believes in that she's doing this for?

I'm not misunderstanding the option. I'm asking for what you think Agnes believes in that she is doing this for. Because that answer isn't broadly applicable to everything.
I thought I was fairly clear.
She's doing this because she believes in the potential of Cleaning Magic. Anything deeper we'll either have to write omakes about what she believes in or wait until Saturday gives us the answers.

The way I interpret this is that Agnes believes in her choice of dedicating herself to Cleaning magic, despite the hardships she will face. Here and now, thanks to Master Anna's display (that's who this old woman is, right?) Agnes understands that being a witch is akin to going to hunt a dragon. And that she is about to embark on this hunt armed with a tool not meant for dragon slaying. For example, let's say a feather duster. What Master Anna is asking here is, as a test of resolve, if Agnes will at that moment she faces down the dragon regret choosing to pick up the feather duster instead of the sword, even though she knew the sword would have been more useful. Thanks to the high roll, we don't have to worry about that. Agnes believes wholeheartedly that at that moment, she will be happy with her feather duster. What we are voting for here is why she is happy with her chosen tool instead of any other weapon.

"This is the magic I chose. If people think it's weak, then I just need to make it strong. I'll prove the whole world wrong if I have to. It's as simple as that." is the choice where Agnes is happy, because in her hands the feather duster not only cleans the dust off the shelves but also flesh off the bones. And no-one can look at feather dusters the same again.
"I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me." is the vote where Agnes is happy because the dragon doesn't really matter. What matters is the tool she has in her hands, the tool she decided to master. If she loses? Ah, I must not only clear my tracks but also neutralize my smell to escape its pursuit. If she somehow manages to win? Hmm, it seems I need at least pH 14 cleaning solution to get the blood out. The fight just isn't the point here. Its something on the way.

She's doing this because she believes in the potential of Cleaning Magic. Anything deeper we'll either have to write omakes about what she believes in or wait until Saturday gives us the answers.
Great, now lets re-examine that vote, given this understanding.
[X][Regret] "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in because I believe that Cleaning magic has the same potential as other magics. And that's good enough for me."
Now, does Potential equate to strength? Does it relate to our ability to reach our potential? Because if it does then this is a stupid vote: I'm not doing this for X, I'm doing this for X (but worded differently). You're right Cleaning Magic is weak, but I'm still going to do it because I believe it's strong.
If you want a vote to tell the old lady that she's wrong, I fully support this course, and there are options for that. This vote is not that though. Its a vote for, "I don't care if I'm weak, Cleaning Magic has an intrinsic quality to it that I want more than power." and that's also fine.
But its not what people are presenting it as.
The way I interpret this is that Agnes believes in her choice of dedicating herself to Cleaning magic, despite the hardships she will face. Here and now, thanks to Master Anna's display (that's who this old woman is, right?) Agnes understands that being a witch is akin to going to hunt a dragon. And that she is about to embark on this hunt armed with a tool not meant for dragon slaying. For example, let's say a feather duster. What Master Anna is asking here is, as a test of resolve, if Agnes will at that moment she faces down the dragon regret choosing to pick up the feather duster instead of the sword, even though she knew the sword would have been more useful. Thanks to the high roll, we don't have to worry about that. Agnes believes wholeheartedly that at that moment, she will be happy with her feather duster. What we are voting for here is why she is happy with her chosen tool instead of any other weapon.

"This is the magic I chose. If people think it's weak, then I just need to make it strong. I'll prove the whole world wrong if I have to. It's as simple as that." is the choice where Agnes is happy, because in her hands the feather duster not only cleans the dust off the shelves but also flesh off the bones. And no-one can look at feather dusters the same again.
"I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me." is the vote where Agnes is happy because the dragon doesn't really matter. What matters is the tool she has in her hands, the tool she decided to master. If she loses? Ah, I must not only clear my tracks but also neutralize my smell to escape its pursuit. If she somehow manages to win? Hmm, it seems I need at least pH 14 cleaning solution to get the blood out. The fight just isn't the point here. Its something on the way.
This is absolutely not what its saying. Either of these votes might be that :
[][Regret] "I don't care about any of that. This is the path I chose and this is the path I'll follow. From now until the end."
[][Regret] "Just because something is impossible, doesn't make it any less worth chasing."

Believing in something other than strength is, to borrow your extensive metaphor, saying "I don't want to hunt dragons though".

This is absolutely not what its saying. Either of these votes might be that :
[][Regret] "I don't care about any of that. This is the path I chose and this is the path I'll follow. From now until the end."
[][Regret] "Just because something is impossible, doesn't make it any less worth chasing."

Believing in something other than strength is, to borrow your extensive metaphor, saying "I don't want to hunt dragons though".
No? That's pretty clearly what it says to me. And I think you misunderstood the metaphor. As Master Anna said, to be a witch or mage in Fiore will inevitably lead one at some point to a test of their strength. Doesn't matter whether you seek it out or not, it will happen. The test is the dragon. The decision to become a witch is the decision to "hunt" that dragon. You don't have to believe in strength to hunt the dragon ("no matter what happens, I can always run away"). You don't have to believe in the dragon to hunt the dragon (our village is in the middle of nowhere, why would a big shot bandit ever come here?). Hell, you don't have to believe in the hunt for the dragon to hunt you! (I'm a civilian, if somebody attacks the town, the guild will protect us)

The options you brought up though: The first one I actually planned on including on my post but decided not to. I see it as the path that kind of encompasses the other two. While one was the "strong witch" and the other "cleaning witch" this would be the "witch" option. Agnes on this path has nothing to prove to others, her own will be all the reason she needs.
The latter option is idealistic. The very basic shounen impossible dream. Its the "become strong" option up to 11.

Back to the dragon hunt metaphor, first one is "I will hunt the dragon because I want to" and the second is "defeating the dragon will take me a step closer to my dream". Again, very similar to the "strong" option.

(Also, I am about to go to sleep now so I won't be continuing this debate for a while)

Anna tells Agnes that Cleaning Magic is a "poor path". She says explicitly that she doesn't mean that it's a weak magic. I think that's because the power of the magic depends a lot more on the person using it than anything inherent to the magic itself. Instead, she says it will be one that Agnes will find difficult to grow along compared to others.

(She also says that it won't lend itself well to Agnes being relevant to the world. Maybe that's the real question to us here: Do we want Agnes to be one of the main characters of the Fairy Tail world, or are we happy if her story is just her story? Sorry, not really relevant to the rest of my post)

Then Anna asks Agnes if she's going to regret choosing her path. Will she regret it if her choice in magic means she can't grow to the heights of the S-Class heroes and villains of the world? Will it eat away at her that she could have chosen a magic that didn't make it so hard on her?

And taking a look at the main contenders, Agnes answers:

[][Regret] "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me."

Agnes believes in something -- I don't interpret this as meaning 'the value of Cleaning Magic itself' like I've seen others say -- and she doesn't need to be powerful because it's a belief that she doesn't need to enforce upon the world. It's enough for her to just live that belief in her own life. We (the players) will have to decide or discover what that belief is at another time.

Agnes won't regret not being as strong or relevant to the world as others because she doesn't value being those things. This to me is the "I just love cleaning" option, but I don't remember if it has already been established why Agnes chose Cleaning Magic so that could be contradicting something.

[][Regret] this is the magic I chose. If people think it's weak, then I just need to make it strong. I'll prove the whole world wrong if I have to. It's as simple as that.

Agnes will prove the whole world wrong about Cleaning Magic -- or at least tell them they're wrong, starting with Master Anna. This one is a bit strange to me, because Anna just finished her question with "[What if] another path would have made you even stronger?" If Agnes becomes strong while using Cleaning Magic, that will just show that Agnes could have been strong with anything. So this doesn't answer the question about regret.

Regret] this is the magic I chose. If people think it's weak, then I just need to make it strong. I'll prove the whole world wrong if I have to. It's as simple as that.
Agnes will prove the whole world wrong about Cleaning Magic -- or at least tell them they're wrong, starting with Master Anna. This one is a bit strange to me, because Anna just finished her question with "[What if] another path would have made you even stronger?" If Agnes becomes strong while using Cleaning Magic, that will just show that Agnes could have been strong with anything. So this doesn't answer the question about regret.

Or that, unexpectedly, cleaning magic was a surprisingly good fit for her.

It could show that you shouldn't choose a magic because it's strong or weak, but for its level of compatibility with yourself, with your likes/dislikes, your personality and beliefs.

Or this could be taken as a stubborn, shonen-esque way of answering "what if another path would have made you stronger" with "but it wouldn't have" or " once I succeed how will you prove me I could have chosen better?".

Now, does Potential equate to strength? Does it relate to our ability to reach our potential? Because if it does then this is a stupid vote: I'm not doing this for X, I'm doing this for X (but worded differently). You're right Cleaning Magic is weak, but I'm still going to do it because I believe it's strong.
As I stated, the entire point of our conversation woth Mermaid Heel was the guildmaster pointing out that focusing on Cleaning Magic could potentially squander our potential and not live up to our full strength. This vote is Agnes accepting that this might be true, but going ahead with her choice anyway because she either believes in Cleaning Magic or some intrinsic quality that Cleaning Magic has. We don't yet know exactly what Agnes believes in yet though.
Good news, when the debate has devolved to "No you didn't understand, let me repeat what I just said." Then I give up that we're going to make progress and won't continue this line of conversation either.
The debate does seem to be going in circles. Let's change perspectives then. We've told you what we think this option means. What do you think it means, Dark, and what do you think people are presenting it as?

Last edited:
As I stated, the entire point of our conversation woth Mermaid Heel was the guildmaster pointing out that focusing on Cleaning Magic could potentially squander our potential and not live up to our full strength. This vote is Agnes accepting that this might be true, but going ahead with her choice anyway because she either believes in Cleaning Magic or some intrinsic quality that Cleaning Magic has. We don't yet know exactly what Agnes believes in yet though.
Why exactly does Agnes HAVE to accept this being true?

I mean, it PROBABLY is, but it wouldn't be that strange for a shonen-like character to basically go "no you're wrong".

I mean, I'm pretty sure we'll at least TRY to prove her wrong.

Most people never would never it a second glance after being able to summon spirits from another world or wield swords with their mind.
Found this in the first chapter! Loving the quest so far! Exited too see your take on Fairy Tail, especially after your take on SAO!

Also,this write-in was really good! Not sure if i wanted it to win... but i like it so much i'ma vote for it anyway!
[X] [Regret] Nuh uh! Cleaning magic is great. You said that people copying people who were already strong were on a good path, but thats just cause they're copying someone whose already walked it. One day when I'm famous you're going to have to tell everyone what a great path it is, and you'll feel really silly that you thought it was poor just because no had done it yet.

Found this in the first chapter! Loving the quest so far! Exited too see your take on Fairy Tail, especially after your take on SAO!

Also,this write-in was really good! Not sure if i wanted it to win... but i like it so much i'ma vote for it anyway!
[X] [Regret] Nuh uh! Cleaning magic is great. You said that people copying people who were already strong were on a good path, but thats just cause they're copying someone whose already walked it. One day when I'm famous you're going to have to tell everyone what a great path it is, and you'll feel really silly that you thought it was poor just because no had done it yet.
I actually like that write-in, though I think it sounds a bit too childish, especially considering the intimidating aura we're the target of. I'd probably feel better about it if this was a normal conversation, without the intimidation.

It also has only your vote, which makes it really unlikely to win. You should probably consider voting for one of the top 4 options (3 stock ones and my write-in), as they're really the only ones that could win at this point.

Well, unless some new option gets proposed, convinces a lot of people and the vote goes on long enough. Not impossible, but unlikely at this point
Adhoc vote count started by Pittauro on Jan 7, 2020 at 7:47 PM, finished with 79 posts and 39 votes.

• [X][Regret] "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me."
    [X][Regret] this is the magic I chose. If people think it's weak, then I just need to make it strong. I'll prove the whole world wrong if I have to. It's as simple as that.
    [X][Regret] "I don't care about any of that. This is the path I chose and this is the path I'll follow. From now until the end."
    [x][Regret] "Just because something is impossible, doesn't make it any less worth chasing."
    [X][Regret] Magic comes from your soul. If your soul is a weak one, then it doesn't matter what type of magic you wield, it would never be 'strong enough'. On another hand if Cleaning magic perceived as weak it just meant that I need to make it strong. I choose Cleaning magic because i think it awesome, becoming one of Wizard Saints should be a good way for showing it to everyone, don't you think so?
    [X][Regret] "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me. Just because something is impossible, doesn't make it any less worth chasing"
    [X][Regret] "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in because I believe that Cleaning magic has the same potential as other magics. And that's good enough for me."

Last edited:
Good news, when the debate has devolved to "No you didn't understand, let me repeat what I just said." Then I give up that we're going to make progress and won't continue this line of conversation either.
But... I didn't repeat myself? (Unless you mean I kept using the same metaphor. Wouldn't it be confusing if I changed that suddenly?) I clarified what I think you got wrong on my argument and then answered your arguments?

007: Den of Phantoms
[X][Regret] "I'm not doing this for strength, but for what I believe in. And that's good enough for me."

007: Den of Phantoms
- - - - -

"Have a safe trip!" shouts Adira from her spot at the train station, waving goodbye to you as the train starts to move. "I better see you in Sorcerer's Weekly someday!"

You stand on your seat and lean out of the open window. "I'll try my best! BYE!"

Waving goodbye until both the train station and Adira are out of sight, you pull your head back into the train car and flop down onto the comfy seat. Sitting there, your grin slowly fades. The words that Master Anna had said still ring loudly in your head.

Your mouth sets into a determined line. Deep down, you already knew that your path would be a difficult one, Master Anna had just given voice to those thoughts.

But it didn't matter, in the end. Your journey wasn't to chase strength. It was to chase dreams. It was to follow your beliefs. What happened along the way would happen along the way. And that was more than enough for you.

Trait gained: [That Fire]

You have an indomitable will, always attempting to follow your hopes and dreams, no matter the adversary. Gain a +10 increase to all will rolls, so long as the fire burns. Once per chapter, a failed magic roll can be re-rolled.

- - - - -

One package delivered, and two more left to go. With this in mind, the next stop on the list was Phantom Lord's headquarters, situated near the heart of Oaktown.

It didn't take too long to find the place. In fact, you found it almost immediately after arriving. Built to look like an old-fashioned castle, the Phantom Lord guildhall was very out of place in the much more modern Oaktown. With stone ramparts and imposing towers soaring high into the sky above, the place gave off an aura of cold inhospitality.

But that didn't matter! You had a job to do and by god, you were going to do it! With as much confidence and grace as you can muster, you walk up to the simple double doors that form the entrance to the guild. Seeing them slightly ajar, you reach out and push them open all the way.

Peeking inside, you are immediately assailed by all sorts of smells, all of them surprisingly pleasant. The scent of freshly baked bread mixes with that of strong spices, a hint of roasting meat somewhere in the background.

When your eyesight adjusts to the darkness, the layout of the interior reminds you of a stereotypical tavern. Lit by many torches glowing with magical fire, much of the back of the large room is taken up by a well-worn bar, people sitting on comfortable looking stools as they chat and laugh and eat.

Most of the rest of the room is taken up by simple circular wooden tables, where more people of all shapes and sizes enjoy a lazy day together. You see some people playing cards at one table and another group snickering quietly about something at another. A group of three argue good-naturedly in one corner, someone else reading quietly next to them. The place feels warm and welcoming. It… reminds you of home.

Before you even realize it, you are taking your first steps into the building. You stiffen as all eyes turn to glance at the newcomer, conversation slowing down as they glance at the unfamiliar face.

You stand there, in the awkward silence, shifting nervously under the gaze of all the Phantom Lord guild members. Clearing your throat, you say "I-I'm here to deliver something to Master Jose."

At this, a boy around your age leans back on his chair, trying to get a better look at you. He pushes some of his two-toned black and white hair out of his face and says "...Who's it from?"

"Um, Madame Monique?" you say, your answer coming out sounding more like a question than anything else.

[ 1d100 + 10(Happens often) = 76 ] #Are they convinced
DC 30: Pass.

[ 1d100 = 12 ] #Reading the situation
DC 30: Fail.

The small bit of tension that had been building in the room immediately disappears, with most people going back to whatever they were doing before you arrived. Maybe deliveries from Madame Monique were a pretty common occurrence here?

But while most people had immediately dismissed your presence after you had apparently been confirmed as legit (somehow?), the boy who had spoken beckons you over with a wave of his hand. Giving you a small smile, he nods over to a spiraling wooden staircase that leads to a trapdoor on the ceiling of the room. "You can't disturb the master right now, you're gonna have to wait."

You frown at this development. "Is he doing something important right now?"

"Oh yeah! While we don't know what it is, it's apparently really important!" The boy drops his grin and shivers slightly. "Master Jose loses his freaking mind when you disturb him around this time."

You feel afraid to ask. But you do anyway. "...How come?"

"We don't know exactly. All that we know is that he is very touchy about people going up into his office." The boy gives you a thousand-yard stare. "And that Shade Magic is great for hurting people without really hurting them, y'know?"

You lean in a bit as the boy lowers his voice to a hoarse whisper. "He once drained the soul out of somebody for daring to knock on the trapdoor! And another time he almost crushed the guild under the weight of his magic! The guy is capital T for terrifying."

Glancing up at the trapdoor, you can't deny that you are a bit unnerved at this frankly horrifying new information. Still staring at the trapdoor, you whisper back, "Really?"

"Of course not."

"Oh," you solemnly respond. "I see."

The two of you stand in tense silence for near a minute (well you stand, he sits) as you continue to stare at the door leading to Master Jose. It is only then that your brain actually catches up to your ears.

...Wait a minute. Whipping your head to look over at the boy, you see him grinning unabashedly at you, barely holding back his laughter. At the sight of your face, the dam seems to break loose, as he immediately falls into a heap of giggling. "I-I can't believe y-you fell for that. Why w-would anyone join a g-guild with a madman as t-the master? A-are you an idiot?"

You feel a faint warmth grow on your face. "N-no. Are you?"

Your amazing comeback does nothing to hinder the boy's amused grin. He turns back to face the table he was originally at, the one with the card game going on, still with that stupid smirk on his face. Picking up the hand of cards he had put down when you came in, he gestures to the entirety of the room with them. "In all seriousness, just hang out for a bit. The master's out fishing right now. He'll be back soon. Probably. He gets really into it sometimes."

With one last massive laugh, the kid returns to his game, ignoring your existence completely.

[][Hangout] This little… Join the card game and beat his butt!
[][Hangout] There's a quiet corner over there, by that blue-haired girl. Wait there for a while.
[][Hangout] A man is idly juggling some rocks with his magic, seemingly not even paying attention to the earth that is swirling around him.
[][Hangout] A man wearing a blindfold is… crying? Does he need some help?
[][Hangout] Go over to the bar, the food smells delicious!
[][Hangout] There's a bunch of pictures up on the wall near the bar, check them out.

- - - - -​
Schools started again. Posts are gonna be pretty slow now. Sorry about that.

Also, does anyone feel like the chapter progression is slow or something? That's honestly probably one of my biggest worries writing these things: are things progressing too slowly?

Last edited:
Or that, unexpectedly, cleaning magic was a surprisingly good fit for her.

It could show that you shouldn't choose a magic because it's strong or weak, but for its level of compatibility with yourself, with your likes/dislikes, your personality and beliefs.

Or this could be taken as a stubborn, shonen-esque way of answering "what if another path would have made you stronger" with "but it wouldn't have" or " once I succeed how will you prove me I could have chosen better?".
Both of these interpretations can be true, but none of them really answer the question and instead avoid it in different ways. Your first interpretation just sidesteps the issue of strength, while the second one is basically saying "No, it isn't" as an answer.
Why exactly does Agnes HAVE to accept this being true?

I mean, it PROBABLY is, but it wouldn't be that strange for a shonen-like character to basically go "no you're wrong".

I mean, I'm pretty sure we'll at least TRY to prove her wrong.
First of all, Key Word: Might be true. We aren't saying that Cleaning Magic will squander our potential, only acknowledging the possibility that it might do so. Not acknowledging the fact that you might fail isn't being stubborn or determined, it's pure stupidity. Shounen type characters and determination doesn't equate stupidity. Not acknowledging the fact that we might fail is like Deku believing that he'll never lose because he's destined to become the Number One Hero, or Luffy declaring that he'll never die before finding the One Piece. When in reality, both of those characters pretty much say the exact opposite. Besides, doesn't aknowledging the high likelihood that you will fail but still going ahead with your choice seem even more Shounen-like?

Prove her wrong how? She isn't saying that Cleaning Magic is weak, she's saying that the chances of us falling behind our peers is quite high due to the simple fact that Cleaning Magic isn't geared towards combat. Key word: chances. She's not telling us that it's inevitable, merely that it's very likely. Unless you want to argue that Cleaning Magic is intended for combat or that turning it into a powerful magic will be easy, every other answer isn't proving her wrong, but rather just demonstrating our resolve.

Last edited:
Honestly it still feels like we're in a prologue style opening for an RPG or something, we're literally in a no-fight fetch quest, the most basic of tutorial quests to get someone used to movement speed or something.

[x][Hangout] There's a quiet corner over there, by that blue-haired girl. Wait there for a while.

*pats Juvia*

Also, does anyone feel like the chapter progression is slow or something? That's honestly probably one of my biggest worries writing these things: are things progressing too slowly?
In terms of story progression? Not really, this is like the first arc of a story, so most people expect the progression to be rather slow and steady. Remove the character creation chapters, and this is still only chapter 5. Quests are normally still introducing characters by this point. Plus, I'd rather spend three or so chapters seeing the three main choices for our guild rather than choosing one blind, especially when it's a very important decision narratively speaking. Combat/Skill progression is determined by the die, so that isn't really controlled by you.

The only real critcisms I have so far is mostly due to our last choice, since despite all the discussion, didn't really affect the next chapter. We don't know what Agnes' beliefs are, for one. Also, the trait didn't really seem to be affected by our vote. For such an important looking decision it seems to have very little effect on the narrative so far. Oh, and though I clearly see Agnes' stubbornness at play during these chapters, I very rarely see her politeness. In fact, at times she feels very brash and direct at times. So hopefully that goes away when she starts to mature. Other than those minor criticisms, I'm loving the quest so far!

Most of the rest of the room is taken up by simple circular wooden tables, where more people of all shapes and sizes enjoy a lazy day together. You see some people playing cards at one table and another group snickering quietly about something at another. A group of three argue good-naturedly in one corner, someone else reading quietly next to them. The place feels warm and welcoming. It… reminds you of home.

While the decor seems to be similar, the impression Agnes is getting is decidedly different from canon. Which is awesome! Also, it looks like the Phantom Lord outpost in Oaktown and the their Headquarters have been combined into one building. I wonder if it still transforms into a large mecha though?

At this, a boy around your age leans back on his chair, trying to get a better look at you. He pushes some of his two-toned black and white hair out of his face and says "...Who's it from?"
Hello, Totomaru! Looks like most of the Element Four is already here.
You lean in a bit as the boy lowers his voice to a hoarse whisper. "He once drained the soul out of somebody for daring to knock on the trapdoor! And another time he almost crushed the guild under the weight of his magic! The guy is capital T for terrifying."

Glancing up at the trapdoor, you can't deny that you are a bit unnerved at this frankly horrifying new information. Still staring at the trapdoor, you whisper back, "Really?"

"Of course not."

"Oh," you solemnly respond. "I see."

The two of you stand in tense silence for near a minute (well you stand, he sits) as you continue to stare at the door leading to Master Jose. It is only then that your brain actually catches up to your ears.

...Wait a minute. Whipping your head to look over at the boy, you see him grinning unabashedly at you, barely holding back his laughter. At the sight of your face, the dam seems to break loose, as he immediately falls into a heap of giggling. "I-I can't believe y-you fell for that. Why w-would anyone join a g-guild with a madman as t-the master? A-are you an idiot?"
A very nice and funny bit of characterization for Totomaru and Agnes, especially since he was decidedly one note in the anime. Looks like he's abit of a prankster in this AU. Also, nice dig at the canon, Saturday. :D
You feel a faint warmth grow on your face. "N-no. Are you?"

Your amazing comeback does nothing to hinder the boy's amused grin. He turns back to face the table he was originally at, the one with the card game going on, still with that stupid smirk on his face.
D'awww... Our girl's getting her first nemesis. They grow up so fast. Sniff.
"In all seriousness, just hang out for a bit. The master's out fishing right now. He'll be back soon. Probably. He gets really into it sometimes."
Another small bit of characterization for a one note character. I'm actually getting pretty interested in joining Phantom Lord now. This is going to be tough!
[][Hangout] There's a quiet corner over there, by that blue-haired girl. Wait there for a while.
Considering the fact that it isn't constantly raining around the guild, either she's got a better handle on her Water Magic, or she isn't as powerful yet, or she's in a better place mentally, or Jose worked something out for her. Either way, it looks like she's probably going to be less gloomy than her first appearance in canon.

[X][Hangout] This little… Join the card game and beat his butt!

As much as I like the Juvia option, I'd much rather pursue this considering we've already set up a dynamic with Totomaru and regardless of what happens in the game I see interesting and funny things happening. Plus, us hanging out with Juvia is pretty much an inevitability, so I want to see what other characters are like.

Back