Fluid Pestilence (Sci-Fi, LitRPG)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The Synch-Tech game "Void Strike" has been her main hobby for the past year and a half, the latest and greatest Synch-Tech experience yet. Surprisingly open ended and detailed fully generated missions, both PvE and occasional PvP foes, no monetization, and a complex gear and skill progression system were all major features of the title.

But what really brought the digital merc going by Flamescale to the game was the character creation system, which not only let her play something rather far from the human form, but also gave options that would let her become more than just a virtual naga.

Armed with the location of a rare skill set that would let her fully explore being entirely different from a mundane human, she is looking to finally complete her desired form and see how far that takes her in this virtual existence.
Flamescale's Prize

E.I.G.

Robo-Bird
Pronouns
It/They
[Introduction]
Welcome to my latest project, one that has been building on my mind for a bit now in various forms. The idea here is mostly to experiment. I want to make a try at original fiction, and what better way than just running with an idea that has caught my attention for a bit and is made from a number of concepts that I have been brainstorming for a while?

I want to warn people, I do not know if this will work out in the long run. This one might die and never revive. It is a writing project for me, and was started while I still have a major fanfiction story in the works I still want to finish, but I have already made some reference documents to work from for this.

In particular I have the full skill set of this character stated out in where and how it can develop. That document might change if the concept shifts a bit, but I think working around a fully planned skill tree might make for an interesting powerset to build off of with story events. Already it has let me think of a few chapter ideas more easily, and I think having the skills restricted to a degree right off might help with making me think a bit about what to do for this sort-of LitRPG styled story.

=====

+++ Arc 1: Skill Set +++

--- 1 - Flamescale's Prize ---

Her red scales were more for looks than to hide, not that it was really practical to try and look like a local as a Void Entity anymore. One of the big ways your shape was limited was that you could not truly look like any native of the worlds you worked on, so she couldn't expect to find any other serpentine people in the rough and industrial research lab to impersonate. Her viper-like face didn't match anything she had seen so far, even if you ignored the rest of her.

Flamescale did not move like a human by design. A snake person with arms wasn't really comparable, the lack of legs being the big thing, but the longer neck was another detail that was often missed, and Void Strike for some reason also had a food system that meant being someone with a mouth for swallowing prey whole was another somewhat stranger difference. She had tried that once so far, and decided that some things were interesting to try, but probably not for a game mostly about shooting targets and using technology.

Eating people was a last resort to get rid of bodies at best, and even then the game was far too good at making you feel full from a meal to make that anything other than a last resort. So for her favored activity of trying to get into the various structures the game generated without detection she stuck with either not killing, making sure that she would have enough time to do the job before the bodies were found, or getting far enough before then to deal with the threats that could find her.

Although another place where Void Strike did things strangely well was in real seeming reactions to killing in stealth. Nothing set off an alert faster than having someone not show up where they were supposed to, and the AI could easily handle looking for you around where things could have happened.

No, Helen's character of Flamescale was shaped like she was shaped because that was the sort of body Helen wished she could have in the real world, if without the implied diet. The biggest draw to start the game early enough after release to get that account name was the character creation tools, which were a strange mix of completely open to making all sorts of creatures, and also had gameplay effects. Balanced by some effects being tied to specific character shapes, and only able to be gained by other shapes with special skills that changed character details in ways the character creator did not allow otherwise.

Which was why she was now going through the corridors and tunnels of this secret bio-lab without a mission, a costly way to go somewhere specific to collect loot instead of just waiting for luck to land you a contract towards your goals. Progress in Void Strike was mostly tied to equipment and skills. With gear it was fairly easy to get stuff that worked, although higher end equipment was rarer and more limited in where you could find it, and the skills far more complicated to get. Skills were a mess of new usable abilities, stat boosts, and most powerfully the special Skill Trees that were basically the game's version of a class.

Only one Skill Tree could be equipped at a time, but each of them would have both a basic effect on your character, and a progression system that allowed you to unlock more skills related to the base effect as you used it. Getting them required either finding a special item that gave the ST, or completing a special challenge to gain one. Some didn't give you the result until you got back to your Void Base, because everything related to the player was a "void-something", but the best ones required you to not have an equipped ST, and gave you the base effect mid-mission. Then you needed to get back to base using the new effects in order to check it out fully, and you couldn't even get those while using another one.

The Skill Tree Flamescale wanted to gain was called "Fluid Pestilence", one of the only reliably found sources of the Liquid Body skill. Which would let her be both a snake monster and a blob monster at the same time. There were other options that likely fit her playstyle better than to also be a living toxic plague upon the worlds, but the key was that Skill Trees were also random in nature. You didn't always get the same sets of skills to progress through, and as a result if she wanted Liquid Body without grinding for a version of those that rolled with the Liquid Mobility branch, then she needed to get a Skill Tree that started out with it.

The lab that consistently provided the ST was near abandoned, with minimal security up until you tripped the alarm, but when you tripped the alarm the response time was faster than normal. A nearby military base being the cause of that. Being a Girant world meant that there were advantages to going stealthy, the large four armed ape-like bipeds used another race of much smaller rat-like creatures called Slinks to do much of their mechanical work, and those creatures were restricted to the ventilation systems for travel much of the time.

Girant tech was usually poorly maintained, often sabotaged, and as a consequence fairly redundant. There were multiple containment systems that could have the trigger substance, and multiple possible complications to opening each of them, but her ability to slide on her belly through Slink tunnels made a very nice way to travel around cameras and most barriers to reach them.

The first was the best case, near the top of the facility, and unfortunately lacked the residue or dead Slinks with notable infection that were subtle clues to a containment system that would work. Flamescale took a moment to inspect the seals and power readouts she could access from the control computers, with an uneasy look at the doors and tunnels. She had not seen any Slinks in the building yet, and there were more Girant guards than the guide said was normal.

"Active power draw from containment three?" she questioned the display with a quiet hiss. "Ugh, I didn't want to try the sewer escape." It was the big risk of this process, the third option was deep under the facility, behind a blast door that closed when containment was broken, and the only reliable way out was through a local utility connection that pretty much required the Liquid Body skill to use. It also meant she might end up going through a sewer.

Part of planning for any mission was working out what gear to bring. Owned equipment was able to be lost on missions, unlike owned skills, and only made up for that by being much easier to replace. Flamescale had prepared to lose everything she brought into this facility just in case it was in containment three. Just a cheap silenced auto-pistol, her worst equipment rigging, a few cheap security crackers, and a set of explosive charges. She wouldn't really have the ST until she got back to the Void Rift she bribed a local to open, and if she died after getting it then she would be out both the gear she had and the high cost of that bribe with nothing to show for it. Skills weren't owned until you got back to base from the mission, and the trigger to get the ST was one time so she couldn't head back out without rebuying the entire mission.

The first step in going straight to the third containment system was to get to the first basement level's security center, and checking if the internal seals between the upper and lower tunnels were closed. The blast door was the only way to the lowest levels, but there was a set of tunnels that went straight to the door and usually had a well hidden path to the lowermost tunnels. If she was going for the second containment then she would have been closer to the overrides if the tunnels were closed, and would go past the seals to see if they were open on the way.

The first basement level was where the lower level cameras were located, normally. Instead Flamescale found that the usually somewhat disorganized room was outright destroyed, without any cameras, but with a pair of arguing Girant, one holding up a very dead Slink. There was the typical glassy green liquid infection on the former slave, and they were arguing about how the experiment had killed all of the local workers, and what to do about that.

Flamescale rerouted after seeing that, she could get to the main computer system and maybe get Yellow-Glow some extra lore and data with this. A data chip would be small enough to make it with her out through the sewer. It also let her go through a tunnel that had a seal for her to check directly, and maybe an alternate override if they were closed.

The first Slink she found out in the open was wedged into the seal for the deeper tunnels, leaving the tunnel open, but the creature was coated in a sickly green infection. The smell was far too real, and not for the first time Flamescale wondered just where they found all of the assets to get these things so accurate. Synch-Tech games seemed like they could barely manage graphics only a few years ago when they left her best friend little more than a glowing yellow light, and this perfect recreation of an alien reality was well into the second year since Void Strike's release.

She kept her tongue in her mouth and slithered towards the main computer, and found the rather industrial device with a CRT display was occupied. Only a single Girant this time, who clearly was absorbed with looking at the data on display, but that was still enough to make her pause. If she alerted everyone too early then that blast door would close her out of the containment area instead of inside.

"Where is it? Surely these fools could not have left it off the records?" the Girant wondered aloud, their voice distorted by the auto translation of the game from their alien language. "The whole facility killed and nothing to explain why."

Flamescale paused long enough to consider that statement, and then made for the third containment as quickly as she could. This was not the normal setup for the site, and while it wasn't common to find another player's prior instance the game did occasionally pull that as a variant option.

The blast door was intact, and open without any guards to slow down her rush into the final set of tunnels. The rest of the lowermost area had just a pair of Girant soldiers, with them both next to the goal of this whole attempt a very toxic looking and halfway open containment unit. Her first shot was careful, and hit accurately enough to remove all of the health from one of the two.

The second Girant turned and shot immediately, hitting the wall of the tunnel and bouncing painfully but not powerfully into her long tail, but that also triggered the alarms. Flamescale was amused as the enemy seemed to realize that they were all alone with her behind the now closing blast door, as instead of continuing to shoot the four armed slaver took off for the doors as fast as they could. She ignored them, the door was actually close enough in this particular layout that they would probably make it in time, and that just bought her the safety she wanted for the next part.

With a bit of caution about how unusually realistic the developers made everything, Flamescale reached out and opened the containment unit fully. A burst of toxic green smoke and splatter of similarly tainted goop both hit her directly, and her vision swam. Her body felt hot, and she found herself losing her shape as the heat started to melt her down entirely into a puddle. Only tests of the very limited character shapes you could make liquid allowed her to understand what she was feeling at all, and it still took longer than she expected to pull herself back together into something similar to her old shape.

Flamescale looked at herself. What was once a clearly living snake covered with red scales now appeared as a goo filled rubbery looking blob in the shape of a snake. Her skin and body were now slightly transparent, with little moving bubbles visible in the single semi-liquid material that now was the only thing making her up. A careful rub against some of the nearby metal to clean it was able to show her formerly normal-ish orange eyes were now entirely an orange glow on her long face, but it wasn't able to really show off any more detail.

Getting her gear back on took no time at all, but she could feel the straps sink in and out of her chest in a slightly odd way that told her she would need practice to not lose things going forward. "Well, I see why most people don't go for this one," she admitted aloud to the empty area, with a frown at the toxic material in the containment system that somehow smelled worse now despite how it should be the same toxic plague she was now made entirely out of. "That is a good way to get killed if you don't clear this place out, and I was almost ready for the melting part."

Finding the utility area was easier than she expected, she just needed to follow the smell of sewage, and if she was willing to try and go all out with melting she could probably make it through the existing conduit for the electronics to get out. Instead she set one of her charges, and hoped that she would turn out to not need to leave even the throwaway gear she brought behind.

The blast clearly attracted attention, somebody started trying to use a heavy weapon on the blast door right afterwards, but more importantly it opened the way to the utility tunnels for the overall cityscape. Unlike inside the near abandoned lab Flamescale could immediately see a number of frightened Slinks scattering, which was a promising sight for getting out with her stuff. Her Void Rift was in a disused warehouse a couple of blocks from the lab, the closest her bribe could get her, and she quickly set off to see if she could find the right tunnels without going through the grate she could see into the sewer itself.

The first surface access point was a factory she recognized, and one full of Slinks that fled in terror at the sight of her emerging from the tunnel. She was close enough to get out before her terrible gun proved too little for the current conflict. Two Girant soldiers along the quick route that noticed the fleeing Slinks made her choose the slightly longer alleyway between two other factories instead of the factory right next to her warehouse.

A third soldier was in the alley, and it took a pair of shots to empty their health so she couldn't be called in too soon. The warehouse she was after was clearly checked, but also clearly bypassed when the explosion happened, and Flamescale dove into the invisible-to-locals tear in reality that led to her Void Base.

The familiar space of her advanced-looking and slightly eldritch place beyond reality was partially blocked by the mission results screen. Clearly stated was the costs of starting the mission, no objectives completed to have a payout, a few skills that weren't her own goal, and right near the top was the rare Skill Tree "Fluid Pestilence", with a small note that it was equipped.

---

[Author's Note]
So, readers of my fanfiction might notice that I have a bit of a theme with my characters. Also that I should be working on that fanfiction instead.
I'm open to comments and criticism, because this is my first original work and is a writing exercise for me to see how well I can pull that kind of story off with the skills I have developed so far.
... also to any help with how to tag this, both for here and places like Ao3.

Last edited:
Yellow-Glow
--- 2 - Yellow-Glow ---

Flamescale took a bit of time to see how she actually moved and changed before she actually looked at the new Skill Tree in more detail. She had tried the more rounded and blob like options that worked to give the ability to melt with just the character creator, and this was quite similar in function but in her preferred shape. She could melt down easily and flow across the ground even in directions she wasn't facing, but when she wanted her body stayed serpentine and could firm up to something that was actually quite a bit more solid.

A few changes to her Void Base might be good to make, she considered as she put away the gear that she had taken on the mission, and then she went to the communications console. "Yellow-Glow, I got it," Flamescale said as soon as her friend answered. "Even though I ran into a new variant, I'm halfway thinking an aftermath instance."

"Were you recording?" the machine themed Void Entity asked her, currently sporting his typical yellow coloration on a rather square shaped monitor face. Yellow-Glow rarely stuck with a character model for a week, but this one wasn't very flattering.

"Yeah, not sure I saw everything though," she replied and selected her previous mission to send. "Was just about to check and see what I got for a Fluid Pestilence, and figured it would be easier to just ask about what I'm seeing now instead of trying myself first."

"I can tell you a bit, but that one is still as rarely used as I mentioned last time you said you wanted to go for it," he cautioned her with a flash of his screen.

"The whole 'melt down when you get it' thing making it hard to survive?" Flamescale suggested, and attempted to liquefy a bit for emphasis.

"One in ten, more common with the third containment system," Yellow-Glow instantly rattled off. "Usually indicates a better variant, but often leads to death during the attempt. No, that is just a complication for the rare people who do want to melt their bodies down. Which you know is the real thing most people can't handle in the first place, let alone try to get."

"Most people aren't fun," she joked and opened the skill menu to finally look at the ST. At the top was Liquid Body, which listed her ability to melt and the visual changes to her character, and Infected, which gave more visual changes, had her melee attacks give a Toxin status effect, and gave a ranged character spit attack with Toxic damage and effects. "Um, how many branches should it normally have?"

"Three is the baseline, with five being a rare version," he answered immediately. "It always gets the generic Enhancement branch and an elemental branch, usually Toxin, and then a third related to the skill itself."

"Wait, I could have gotten one without Liquid Mobility?" Flamescale questioned with a glance at the branch of the tree that was the whole reason for getting it. The typical first skill of Liquid Body was instead at the top of the tree and already claimed, but the other skills she expected were still present. "Being able to move better as a blob was the whole point of trying for the ST version."

"Yes, but just three is not very common, usually you get four branches with Liquid Mobility, Enhancement, elemental boosts, and one related to the infection side of things," he answered dully. "So, how many?"

"Um, one of them splits midway? Contagion splits into Hidden Infection and Mass Infection," she explained with a frown at the display. That was a layout for a Skill Tree she had not seen before, and new details like that were rare at this point.

"Wait, you got both of the two main Contagion branches?" he asked with sudden interest. "Contagion itself is almost never without one of those, but getting both is widely seen as the perfect infection build for other STs that can get it. The base skills let you spread your infection to others in a number of ways making them attack anyone not infected, and another skill to actually control those who are infected. Mass Infection is about spreading to more and more targets and even making new infected objects and creatures. Hidden Infection is probably more what you want, that covers making it harder to tell who is under your control and giving them better commands."

"Ugh, a command mode skill?" Flamescale complained. "I don't get why the mind control and zombie STs are so popular."

"Yours is closer to the first one, but if it makes you feel better I've heard it is also one of the more hands off options," Yellow-Glow laughed at her. "You are going to make some people jealous with how you got that without even wanting to. That is as good as getting two branches honestly."

Flamescale paused as she remembered what he said about rare ones, and re-counted the number of branches on the tree. "Seven total if that counts as two, Yellow-Glow," she admitted. "I've got Enhancement and a 'Fire Toxin' like you mentioned, Liquid Mobility, that Contagion mess, something called 'Multiform' that I need to ask about, and Reformation that seems to come from both Contagion and Multiform."

"You have all three Contagion branches," Yellow-Glow said with clear unease. "Plus one of the rarest branches in the entire game. Now I know I need to review that mission, you might have gotten a special result from getting it out of an aftermath instance. Maybe a failed attempt by someone else made it more potent."

"So, what is with Multiform? Because I know that Synch-Tech is already technically using two bodies at once, so we can play without interrupting anything in the real world, but that is talking about having more than one body ingame on top of that," she questioned as she tried to not think about getting a super-rare drop. There was jealousy for getting something rare, and then there was outright hate.

"There is no known Skill Tree that always has Multiform," he replied totally seriously. "It is the only source of the ability to have more than one body, is a giant monster branch, and no other Synch-Tech game has ever done anything like it. I don't even have the details on its point cost yet."

That made her pause, Yellow-Glow was her best friend in the game, and more importantly was one of the best guide makers for it. The two of them had started by going after every bit of information they could find out about the details of the game's systems. This whole mess was her finally giving up on getting a mission to the location naturally, and even then it had only been discovered just before the third seasonal event. She didn't want to go into the rather in depth combat challenges of that season with an untrained skill, and the reliable method to pay for the location wasn't found until midway through the season.

"Ten for the first skill, twenty for... Ah, it says they can just be extra heads and stack up to nine, and another for merging with infected? Travel through infected materials?" she ended up questioning more than informing. "I'm going to have to look over this a bit more before I can tell you about that."

"Did you get a good starting point roll?" Yellow-Glow questioned thoughtfully. "Ten is a lot for a new ST."

"I have two, but I mostly want to work with the cheaper stuff first. Reformation is practically self explanatory," Flamescale said with a look at the very short branch.

"The rarest Contagion branch, although why it is separated from the other two I am not sure," he answered. "Great for combat focused players, but not so much for you, and rather expensive if I recall right."

"It is also apparently a thing for Multiform, that works to unlock it too," she clarified reading the description. "If one of my bodies dies it lets me grow another one to replace it."

"We might need to check if there are any other branches that are subsets of multiple other branches," her friend said thoughtfully. "Now I almost wish you didn't just get a good one to develop, I'm going to have to find new sources to check on that. How did I know you going for this would just get me more work?"

"I'm pretty sure I have hundreds of skill points to earn just to get the first levels for some of these skills," she countered. A typical number to get from any given mission was two, and getting more than five required a major objective and a lot of cooperation. Void Strike was good about being able to change which skills the points were on at will, but maxing out a typical Skill Tree was a major project. "I do have an oversized ST to deal with now."

"The Enhancement tree is junk," Yellow-Glow pointed out with a laugh she shared. "Regular skills can give more stats, and specialized branches give better stats with new abilities."

"Worst month of the game was that crap ST that was just that branch," Flamescale did admit. "But I still have all of the rest to fill out on this one. If the Multiform skills go up by ten each time that is hundreds alone."

"You should probably try two bodies before you start planning on nine, or maybe actually try out your special 'everything for Contagion'," he complained. "Any other questions? I really want to get to your recording now that I know how it turned out."

"No, I'm going to handle the rest myself. Let me know if I missed anything important, and have a good one," she said and let him close the communications line. "What the heck. How did I get something that rare from messing around?"

While she did want to have the ability, it was mostly to have as a new fun thing to try than a serious effort to get a really good result. The only reason she went for anything even just as rare as a typical Fluid Pestilence was because every other option she had tried to get before wasn't reliable. The biggest problem with Synch-Tech games was downtime, most didn't even work when you slept, but Void Strike earned its place as the best by never losing synch from anything.

"Right, that is something to see, will I need to sleep differently now?" she commented to try and get her mind off how unbelievably rare her prize turned out to actually be. Eating and sleeping weren't as needed as they were in the real world, but they were just some of the many optional things you could do when you weren't in the mood for another mission. There were even games within the game, or just exploring the various worlds where you could take missions for less hostile reasons.

Opening the interface for changing around her Void Base immediately revealed a new set of options labeled "Infected Materials". They seemed to all be set to match her current coloration and appearance, with them mostly being a mixture of toxin coated regular items, and just outright masses and pools of the toxin. It was not normally what she would like the look of, but her mind wasn't really off the topic of how she just got what might end up the rarest Fluid Pestilence, and if that was the case then perhaps she should lean into it massively.

That turned out to be a rather easy task, the toxin coated stuff turned out to be an easy toggle. The others needed to go in a few open places she had, and it was strange to discover that the pools were actually easy for her to just move over the top of or sink into by choice. It was fairly quick, but a bit tiring to work out, and a nap felt needed.

Naturally the pools turned out more comfortable places to sleep than the toxin coated beds that she now just flowed off the top of when she got to sleep. While having new smears of toxin on them that just happened to look about right for that exact thing happening.

"Flamescale, get to the comms," Yellow-Glow shouted to wake her up, clearly having once more overridden her console again somehow. "I have questions... Did you redecorate already?"

"I was sleeping, Yellow-Glow," she complained, collected herself back into something resembling solid, and went over to see what he found. "And yes, I wanted a distraction of sorts."

"I have bad news for wanting distractions," Yellow-Glow said with a head that was now three round camera eyes at an awkward angle. It fit him slightly better. "You found a brand new rare variation of the site. I managed to track down somebody willing to help investigate, and it is not an aftermath situation. Those just plain do not have the ST for whoever gets there second, and from the data I've seen this is an outbreak in the lab variant. A rarer way for the site to be set up on a given instance. The kind of thing that is hard to find and gives guaranteed improved versions of skills."

"That is a thing?" she asked, still a bit asleep ingame. Another minor detail that was beyond the typical Synch-Tech game and probably should not have been given the development time to implement.

"... A very rare thing," her friend said after a notable pause that woke her up. "I have one for data subversion skills that was a major side project. I do not advertise that these exist, because they always result in higher than normal numbers of branches. Mine has five, which is more than can otherwise be found for my subversion ST. It may be more difficult to hide the scale of yours, seven is rare for any ST, but Fluid Pestilence is not marked as entirely documented yet." Yellow-Glow's guides were the source of at least half the data in documentation available in game or out of game. "Even with it being well known few seek it out, and they are often happy with what they get after only a couple of tries."

"Are you saying I should keep quiet about what exactly I have for branches?" Flamescale asked, with quite a bit of unease. "Are we really talking about something else to not tell people?" The last time had been the first season, where there were fewer character creation limitations, and you could more easily hide as a local to infiltrate more easily. She had not used it, but the discovery was one they had not wanted credit for, especially after it was changed.

"It is intended content, but I wish to tell whoever documents them that they have made a discovery I have not," Yellow-Glow declared. "Something I missed about how such things actually work, and thought was just outliers for the standard data."

"I'm still going to lean into it," she decided. "I got an outlier higher than we knew you could get, and decided to go all out."

"Very well, that should be fine. Be safe, Flamescale," he said.

"Be safe, Yellow-Glow," she agreed, and then ended the call.

---

[Author's Note]
I am planning on going with my semi-standard method of writing a chapter ahead before I post the next chapter for this story as well. The exception is right here at the start, where I am writing the third chapter at least before I post the story. That is mostly to check if I have a story concept I can actually write more chapters towards, and that needs me to get out of these setup chapters first.

Last edited:
Oooh, i do like litrpgs, and i haven enjoyed all your previous fics, so i'm definitely interested, the idea of the MMO is certainly intriguing, too!

Inchresting...I am a huge fan of MMO fics with someone getting a weird version of a skill! Watching with great interest
Oooh, i do like litrpgs, and i haven enjoyed all your previous fics, so i'm definitely interested, the idea of the MMO is certainly intriguing, too!
Happy to hear I have some interest in this new project.

Although I have just realized that while thinking of tags for this I totally blanked on the term "MMO" which probably should be in the title, or at least somewhere in tags.
I think I will really need help with tagging this given it is an original work, especially if I put it on Ao3 or some other site.

Because I know that Synch-Tech is already technically using two bodies at once, so we can play without interrupting anything in the real world, but that is talking about having more than one body ingame on top of that

Okay now I'm curious how the entire thing looks like from outside of the VRMMO thing happening here. Do people just have their brain controlling a virtual body and a real one? Are they stretched into having a second virtual brain? Hmm...

Also a very obvious question arises from that: what happens if you get hit by a bus in real life while playing?

Last edited:
Oh, interesting start here.

Not something I'd usually be very interested in, admittedly, but I like your writing enough that this seems enjoyable despite that.

Though while I am interested to see more of how the new skill tree works out for her, I won't deny I'm also curious about the world outside the game and how the interface works, as a contrast with it; helps to make weird stuff impact more if we know more about how things are normally, after all.

Definitely watching this. :)

Okay now I'm curious how the entire thing looks like from outside of the VRMMO thing happening here. Do people just have their brain controlling a virtual body and a real one? Are they stretched into having a second virtual brain? Hmm...

Also a very obvious question arises from that: what happens if you get hit by a bus in real life while playing?
Oh, interesting start here.

Not something I'd usually be very interested in, admittedly, but I like your writing enough that this seems enjoyable despite that.

Though while I am interested to see more of how the new skill tree works out for her, I won't deny I'm also curious about the world outside the game and how the interface works, as a contrast with it; helps to make weird stuff impact more if we know more about how things are normally, after all.

Definitely watching this. :)
I'm really happy to see a good reaction to start, and that my prior works are good enough to inspire confidence here.

That said, I am now confronted with the reality of being an original fiction creator, and I am far more uneasy with just openly discussing what would end up spoilers for this sort of work than I am for fanfiction. So I am going to try and hold myself to a policy of not commenting on any speculation unless it indicates that I have not actually conveyed something I wanted to be clear, and even then only to try and work out how to fix that.

I'm of the mind that a story should be able to give out its exposition over time, covering only what is needed to understand the current situation as it progresses instead of dumping a full history of the world right off, so expect some of these sort of things to take a while to show up.

Definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes, and intensely jealous of Flamescale for a myriad of reasons.
Love your stuff.

I'm really happy to see a good reaction to start, and that my prior works are good enough to inspire confidence here.

That said, I am now confronted with the reality of being an original fiction creator, and I am far more uneasy with just openly discussing what would end up spoilers for this sort of work than I am for fanfiction. So I am going to try and hold myself to a policy of not commenting on any speculation unless it indicates that I have not actually conveyed something I wanted to be clear, and even then only to try and work out how to fix that.

I'm of the mind that a story should be able to give out its exposition over time, covering only what is needed to understand the current situation as it progresses instead of dumping a full history of the world right off, so expect some of these sort of things to take a while to show up.

Oh that's absolutely fine! Balance of giving the readers a few tips of what may come later vs not spoiling things outright is difficult to get right. And it's different for everyone, really. And even if there's no reply on the topic from the author, there's always other readers who might chime in as they got curious about the point themselves.

Go With the Flow
--- 3 - Go With the Flow ---

Flamescale set the first two skill points for the Fluid Pestilence tree into the options she had wanted the whole time. Her Liquid Mobility had five skills on the branch, but only the first two were available. Better Flow made it faster to turn entirely into liquid, and made it easier to move around when fully liquid. On the other hand, Quicker Solidification made it easier to keep herself solid and solidify from a liquid form.

They worked with each other instead of against. With both she could change back and forth between being a puddle of herself more quickly, move faster when she was liquid, and hold stuff better when she was solid. They also seemed to scale up in cost by one per level, so to get the second rank for those she would need two points each instead of one each, and both had a max level of ten. For ST skills that was actually cheap, with her Multiform possibly scaling at ten more for each level after the first as an example of one of the most expensive, and a medium cost one would scale up by something like five per level.

The next three skills were only one level each. Things that gave new ability, but did not scale up the effect of that ability. The simply named Splash was a dubious one point ability that made her automatically melt when hit hard enough, and required a level in Better Flow first. Liquid Climb required a level of Quicker Solidification, and apparently was needed to climb upwards in liquid form, but had the higher cost of five points for its single level.

The final skill in the branch was a rare capstone skill, and it required her to max out the entire rest of the tree. It was worth that investment, but from the max levels and the costs that was over a hundred points away. She wouldn't even really think about it until she had spent the time getting to the point she could possibly get it.

Now she just needed to properly test out the Liquid Body skill and those improvements. So with another glance at her changed Void Base, and a strange feeling of contentment with it looking so contaminated, Flamescale went over to the mission terminal.

Void Strike's lore was that you played as a Void Entity, an eldritch mercenary that went to not just other universes, but infinite copies of those other universes. Overall changes by player actions did occur and were noteworthy, but tended to be limited to weekly event missions and seasonal content, with an "aftermath instance" where you ended up in the same area someone else had done a mission before you being very rare. The main currency was Void Echos, people of the universes tempted you to go into them with those, you could spend them along with other resources to go to places without a mission, and you could also spend them to roll to get a somewhat random skill.

Technically you could also pay for more things to build in your Void Base, but Flamescale had maxed out those just a month after release, and kept up with any new options fairly well. Equipment was different, you paid local resources for those, picked them up from a target during a mission, traded for them with other players, or more commonly paid to go to a known storage location and just took a bunch. Being able to get endless instances of the same location was the biggest break from reality the game gave players, and it was well used.

The mission terminal had a mess of filters and restrictions. One new restriction now appeared as a warning when she signed on that told her she would not be able to take missions that restricted access from an infected Void Entity unless she changed her Skill Tree. Which seemed to filter more out than the one when she first started playing that said she needed to look a bit closer to a regular inhabitant of the local worlds, or the one that didn't like that she could in theory swallow an enemy whole.

Flamescale checked the first options given using her long refined filters, and noted that there were penalties to the local resource rewards if she left behind living infected individuals or active materials. Fairly steep ones for a new player, but also an explanation of why the Hidden Infection branch had a somewhat costly skill to remove the infection from victims. To unlock that would require the same investment as getting another body.

"Oh, that one again?" she questioned with a glance at the fifth option. "I think I still have-" She went into the skill menu for one-off abilities and searched her favorites category to find what she was after. A data access skill she could swap in to not have to take a security cracker with her. It was technically a bit slower, but this mission was one where she had long wanted to try out melting down, and unless she found a way to take gear with her the tech option wasn't an option. "Finally get to try this one without any gear."

It was a data recovery mission, and those were simple once you worked out how to infiltrate. Get to the main computer, or a secondary system that you could still get the right data from. Then download the data into a data chip, which could be found on the mission if you didn't bring one and were small enough to carry through the stuff she wanted to flow through. Finally get the data back out to a drop location, typically next to your Void Rift where you started, with a backup location if you were discovered.

Flamescale accepted the mission, got the first half of the Void Echos for the mission from having the Rift opened, and quickly slid out into the target world. It was much cleaner, much more advanced, and clearly a 319 base. The more mundane cybernetic sort-of-hivemind mercenary force was one of the more advanced enemies technologically, with an upside of having some of the best electronic gear and cybernetics. They were introduced in the first seasonal event as a new element to a still fairly new game.

They also were made up of subfactions that would send you on missions against other 319 subfactions. This was a mission from the artificially grown stereotypical big headed alien subset that made up most of the scientists, they were a purple color, but rarely went outside of their R&D centers. The target was a scout base that had not sent all the data the scientists wanted, with a bonus to getting through the mission undetected and without killing any of the humanoid bat-like support personnel or pale lizard soldiers.

This mission was located at a base inside an arcology, a massive theoretical structure that contained and supported an entire city-state on a distant world. It also was filled with a set of plumbing that went from tanks above the facility to drains out the bottom. The more public storage area she started in was luckily below the facility this time, so she wouldn't have to sneak upwards without that liquid climb ability to get out, but she would need to do that to get in.

Flamescale's usual plan of going through the civilian sections wasn't really going to work. Her appearance usually drew a lot of attention, and that was without being a living liquid that might be easy to identify as infected with something. A thought that made her remember that there was a skill in the Hidden Infection branch that let her look like a 'normal' snake person again. It unfortunately was another case of costing as much as the ability to split in two when you looked at the cost of all the required skills too.

"I wonder," she thought, and went over to a local help terminal. They were generic computer systems located in just about every room of these arcology structures, mostly for general purpose connections to the overall arcology assistance and emergency services line systems. "Movement assistance," Flamescale said cleanly to the device, her words shifted slightly to match the local language. "Low traffic, hard movement," she added to go for some oddball options to give assistance to people who needed to get somewhere without as large of a crowd.

The map that appeared was exactly what she needed. It actually listed the 319 facility just above her, and also an interesting find. "Bathing facility fourteen," she requested of the device, and then started up her currently equipped hacking skill. "Large load with hazardous chemicals," she said along with a minor bypass of restrictions to convince the system that she was part of the maintenance crew of the area. A nearby access lift was indicated and marked with a reservation for her.

"Alright, please be the leaky terminal variant, please let this be the leaky terminal variant," Flamescale cheered to herself. A variation on the mission where a shower facility right above the target has had a major structural issue and was leaking on a secondary system that could be used to recover the data easily. With the hard part being to get into the damaged shower and opening up the ceiling enough to get through without triggering the surviving alarms.

Getting to the lift was easy enough without being spotted, and from there to the showers was a familiar path as well that rarely got travel with that facility broken down. A second harder bypass was needed to unlock and re-lock the shower facility's doors, one that took her a couple of tries due to the relatively low quality of her hacking skill. One-off skills like it were not very good, and compared to what you could get out of a Skill Tree that had an actual hacking branch it was practically useless. They were a replacement for gear that could also do the same thing, which often was better than a one-off skill but easier to lose.

"Do they make a security cracker that can melt with you?" Flamescale half complained about the easy part already giving her a bit of trouble. She did know of one, but it was very hard to get, rather easy to lose, and most importantly wasn't that much better than her current skill. An experimental nanotech unit you could steal instead of turning in for a fairly specific set of missions, that had not gone anywhere yet to show off what could develop from there.

The broken tiles and opened floor section was on the more exposed end for this job, with the slight smell of burned out electronics coming up from it in a way that made her hopeful for this plan. She got out one of the data chips she had brought along, this model a military chip about the size of a human fingernail. They were usually stored in special containers to avoid losing them, but right now she was mostly just testing having them embedded inside her body.

Flamescale positioned herself over the largest leak, made sure she had the data chips in her, and melted down into a puddle of snake. Her body immediately filled up the broken floor and the various cracks, and very quickly found a hole that led fairly directly into the room below. Where she discovered that she had a really strong surface tension, as despite now having a glob of herself hanging off the ceiling she could not actually detach any of that from the rest of her mass.

The sensation of being cupped along such a strange shape was new, she had not actually done any missions with the test bodies that would allow for this sort of skill, and while she was fairly sure she could go up far enough to get her body out of the crack it would likely be faster to resolidify instead to move like that. She also couldn't really stop the part of herself that was flowing downwards through the hole in the lower room's roof, but given that had been a goal of this it wasn't really a problem.

It took a bit of focus to look out of the glob starting to flow down into the room, and thankfully there wasn't anyone present to spot her infiltration attempt. It was a bit strange as well, because she could actually see both rooms at the same time. Which was mostly odd in how easy it was, one of those constant surprises of Synch-Tech games for how they could do tricks with being in more places at once that Void Strike loved to take over the top.

She was a third of her mass into the room before she managed to get the first of the data chips down through the cracks alongside her body, and halfway into the room before she could thin down enough to reach the floor. Then she was able to flow down a lot faster, even if that was a bit worrying when the last of her just fell from the roof. As she splattered a bit and spread out a touch uncontrollably it gave her a feeling not quite like being stretched out, but close enough that she didn't have another way to describe it.

It took only a moment to solidify again and reach the various computers in the room to inspect them for functional machines. Flamescale glanced at the ceiling to check if she left any hint of her presence behind, and didn't notice anything discolored by her passing. The third machine she checked booted up, and turned out to still be logged into. Thankfully she didn't trip any alarms with her two attempts to go from there to being able to download the proper files into each of her data chips, that way if she lost some at least one would have everything, and she could bring a copy back herself just in case there was anything Yellow-Glow could use.

Then Flamescale realized that she had not checked out where the places she could flow downwards ended up from here. The best bet was probably something other than sewage, if only because the game was far too good at being accurate about that sort of thing, and her sense of smell if anything had been improved by the change.

"Wait, wasn't there a," she considered aloud and then looked up towards the air vent. Actually climbing upward as pure liquid wasn't an option yet, but she could squish quite a bit more now, and she did have a lot of surface tension. The air system for these arcology buildings was centralized, and only the rarest variants had facilities that used an independent or isolated system.

In practice it was clearly something Flamescale should have tried with the skill to flow up things instead of without, as she simply ran down onto the floor twice before she managed to make it into the vents with all of her data chips, and then carefully made her way down by deliberately flowing from higher vent systems to lower systems one by one until she was closer to her Void Rift. In fact she was able to find a vent inside the room with her Rift that would have been an easier way in with that skill to flow upwards instead.

The drop off was a small quantum communications system located near her Rift. It locked around the data chip she put into it, and a mission completion message flashed on her AR display. With a quick movement she returned to her Void Base, and got the final results of the mission.

Three new points for her Skill Tree, the rather bare mission reward of resources and the rest of the Void Echos, two bonuses for not being spotted at all, a note about the data chips being filled, and a couple of one-off skills she actually checked out more carefully this time. "Stat boost, stat boost, another basic hacking one, and another language translation skill," she read off, not really that enthused. You could only have a single one-off skill of any particular kind. Stat boosts could only be stacked if you had different combinations of stats boosted, and new abilities were a question of the best one you got for the given skill. "Oh? Infection claw attack." She inspected that skill for a second. "Ah, it is a worse version of my basic Fluid Pestilence melee attack skill. Well, I guess if I really like that effect."

With a happy sigh, Flamescale copied the data to her personal archives, sent a copy to Yellow-Glow to inspect, and started to prepare for her next mission.

---

[Author's Note]
This story is probably going to be a bit episodic, because that is what I am used to writing and also because one mission per chapter is working out fairly well so far. Here we have the first true mission, which is short and simple but should show off what I'm going for.
Also no idea about update rate for this story, I tend to edit and post one chapter when I have the next chapter written and the one after that started, which can take a variable amount of time. This was honestly really quick by my current standards, as usually it has been around one per week for my other projects.

Last edited:

Before I forget it, it's "arcology". Archology is a word, kinda, but don't really see it used nd it means something wildly different.

As she splattered a bit and spread out a touch uncontrollably it gave her a feeling not quite like being stretched out, but close enough that she didn't have another way to describe it.

Damn, whatever this tech is, it's really good at letting people experience different sensoria. Wonder if it works for more wild things, like echolocation, etc? Or does it still have to roughly map to normal boring human stuff…

Three new points for her Skill Tree, the rather bare mission reward of resources and the rest of the Void Echos, two bonuses for not being spotted at all, a note about the data chips being filled, and a couple of one off skills she actually checked out more carefully this time.

one mission per chapter is working out fairly well so far

Hmm. Not quite sure if having just the missions is going to be fun for that long? Especially given that they seem to be quite fitting for a grindy mmo-y game. I assume there will be some skips now and then, as well as more variation on things shown? Do feel curious about what will happen next ^^

Damn, whatever this tech is, it's really good at letting people experience different sensoria. Wonder if it works for more wild things, like echolocation, etc? Or does it still have to roughly map to normal boring human stuff…
I mean, it's already giving people superhuman multitasking just so they can play video games at work without getting distracted. This world is clearly deep into transhumanism.

Before I forget it, it's "arcology". Archology is a word, kinda, but don't really see it used nd it means something wildly different.
Thank you very much, I always appreciate this sort of correction, so please if you ever see anything like this point it out.
Hmm. Not quite sure if having just the missions is going to be fun for that long? Especially given that they seem to be quite fitting for a grindy mmo-y game. I assume there will be some skips now and then, as well as more variation on things shown? Do feel curious about what will happen next ^^
To be clear, the more important part there was "episodic", because that is what I'm used to writing. Stuff like a TV show or cartoon where there is one main event that happens every chapter, and they work together to form a larger plot.
I'm saying that based on what I've written and outlined so far I am going to have a single mission, typically to show off something, as a main part of every chapter for at least this first arc.

I very much do not plan on having every single mission Flamescale goes on, but starting out it is probably going to be most of them just due to how I've setup the Skill Tree development and how she as a character interacts with that, along with some other interactions that impact what she does too.

That said, my plans can and likely will change as I actually write the chapters. I know from my other works that just because I have an outline of future chapters doesn't mean that outline isn't going to change by the time I get to them.

Living Contagion
--- 4 - Living Contagion ---

Flamescale had three base skills available for the Contagion branches of her ST. Infectious Strikes made it so any of her direct attack abilities, apparently even ones given by other skills, had a medium chance to turn targets into infected that were allied to her and foes of all their former allies. Infectious Residues gave her the ability to leave behind infected material, like what her Void Base was now covered with, that while rather noticeable would have a high chance of infecting victims, and also deal damage to anyone not infected. Finally there was Infectious Vapors, which gave her fumes that spread more quickly than the residue, but had a rather low chance to infect.

Each would cost only a single point to get, but getting those alone only made her own body able to infect others. To have the infection spread from those infected victims she needed to go into the Mass Infection branch. Rapid Spread from the wording apparently gave all of her skills to infect others to any of her infected victims.

"Yes, it does in fact include any one-off skills for your character," Yellow-Glow confirmed as she considered the options. "If you have any breath attacks that could be a way to get something similar to Vapors with the infection chance of Strikes. That is one of the confirmed tricks to Mass Infection. Infectious Vapors can still be good with how it works together with stuff like the residue, but it isn't worth it alone."

"Are there a lot of STs that give Contagion?" Flamescale questioned as she looked over the missions available at the same time. "I know everyone likes STs that make enemies fight for you, but I thought it was mostly the mind control and zombie options."

"Contagion gets filed under the zombie category," Yellow-Glow clarified. "Actually, about a quarter of the zombie category get Contagion as their method of getting zombie-like effects."

"You didn't mention I was going for a zombie ST," she complained, and nodded at a mission that looked good to at least test things out. "Still, didn't you say you wanted another Leaf data core? I have a mission here from the Girant to take out the staff at one of the plant's development labs." The mission objectives were rather simple here, just kill everyone you could at the target location. Details varied on if there were specific targets that mattered more than others, what penalties there were for killing anyone other than those at the target location, if there were things to not destroy, and any number of other small details. However, these were the most popular missions to take.

"Hm, do you have a Macrophylla security cracker? Their systems don't work as quickly with other models to copy data," her friend asked in that tone that said the currently headless Void Entity was considering giving her gear for a promise of data again. "You will have to worry about the Girant followup forces, they don't take Void Entities stealing from their targets well, even if they were the ones to summon one."

"I have plenty of crackers. Contract isn't that specific about the followup forces, but I'm guessing I hit a hidden penalty anyway if I try to be a plague here," Flamescale admitted with a thought to the infected left behind costs she had seen before, which she felt probably would not be in her favor. "What are you working on?"

"The next season isn't very far off," Yellow-Glow answered with a sigh. "I would like your help with the next weekly event tomorrow, just in case that has any hints to what the season will be. If you could get the points for the Hidden Infection skill by then it would be helpful for giving us some more time."

"You want me to take over the site?" she questioned with a touch of annoyance. She had a mind control ST that they used for that before, way back in the first season, although it was fairly low quality for those. Yellow-Glow mostly recruited others for those now.

"I might want that, depending on the site in question," he confirmed. "I will let you know more when the weekly releases. So, are you going to use any one off-skills with this one?"

"I do have that spine launcher character mod from the Rhizo," Flamescale thought aloud. The third seasonal event had been a conflict against the crab like feral biological weapon system. Their biological technology was more often represented as skills than proper gear by the game. "It is a bit slow to reload without being part of a bioweapon ST branch, but with any luck it will be a good one to pass along."

"Rhizocephala skills are a solid option for that kind of skill, although I think many would like to get the bioweapon branch with the contagion branch," her friend laughed. "Send the data if you recover it, and see if you can get enough for some more hidden work."

"Alright, let me know when the next weekly is announced, I might take some time off missions until then," she agreed and ended the call. "Right, start off with seeing if I can tell anything about the skills just from having them." To start she got her Chitin Spike skill out of her favorites. It wasn't great without some boosts to damage and rate of fire that she didn't have in a one-off form yet. Flamescale did grind to get a version with four launchers, which wasn't close to the most possible but still fairly rare.

Selecting the skill opened up the character creator screen with a prompt to place the four launchers on her body, and a new warning that if she melted the part with the launchers they would need a full reload cycle to be ready. Another downside she didn't like, but still put them into two little 'ear' like pairs on either side of her head. With any luck she could melt everything else somehow to keep them loaded, or just use them before melting to get out of sight. Even without any points into the Contagion branch she could already see an added Toxin effect once it was set from her ST's base skills, although no bonus base damage.

Putting the point into Infectious Strikes changed that, giving both a reasonable infection chance and some bonus damage to the spines. The next point into Rapid Spread then added a small marker that indicated they would be passed on to infected, which in theory increased rate of fire in a way. The final point for Infectious Residues actually caused another change, giving the projectiles damage over time and chance of contact infection that possibly was a bigger infection chance than just from Strikes.

It also made Flamescale feel slightly sticky, but not the way she normally associated with the term. A wipe of her hand against the nearby chair revealed that it left behind a patchy trail of the stuff she was made out of, much like the changes she made to her base but clearly shorter lived. The residue lasted longer than the vapors from the skill descriptions, but that wasn't actually long enough with a single level to coat a place with the stuff very long.

Her main concern there was if it made stealth harder, as it seemed her long tail also left behind a patchy but sticky trail of toxic and caustic material that could make her victims attack their former allies. Which was another factor in if it was an option she would keep the point in or swap that out to another skill. Void Strike Skill Trees were able to have their points redistributed whenever you wanted, and that was often needed for skills that turned out to not be great to have all the time in a tree that otherwise was what you wanted.

A check of the rest of the tree revealed that the first level of Hidden Infection's starting skill gave control over if you put out residue or vapors, but that was two points for just the first level, and also required the two point Infected Control skill that gave the ability to command anyone you infected. She did not have the points for all of that yet, but it was good to know for Yellow-Glow's request and future developments.

Flamescale then accepted the mission properly, and this time went to look at her gear. If she was going to go on the attack it wouldn't really be the time to go in with just her physical form. That started with her second best equipment rigging, because clothes didn't work the best when your body wasn't shaped like any other creature in the setting and you didn't have item crafting options. You could commission stuff from shops, but that required complications that were a bit too much for her even without the liquid changes to her form. The rigging was mostly self made from parts of various local species versions, and she had a half dozen of them in total of various qualities.

Onto that she clipped a Leaf made security cracker, military grade because she had a few of those and could trust it to work on any Leaf system. Switching out for some Leaf made military data chips was also quick, as she had small packages pre-made to swap out for missions like this. Then she added a second security cracker, 319 made because the Leaf liked to hire 319 mercs and it was always better to take two instead of just one in case one was lost or broken.

For weapons she selected a light Girant pistol, which was just a regular pistol for most locals but worked as a backup weapon, and a 319 light plasma rifle. That was a submachinegun sized bullpup energy weapon that used a rechargeable battery and a special gas cylinder to fire super-heated blasts at targets. The batteries and the gas were common in 319 armories, as the advanced mercenary forces used a number of plasma weapons that fired the same gas.

Armor was handled mostly by stat boosting one-off skills, although it appeared she could get some better boosts out of the Infection Strength skill of the Mass Infection tree. That gave a mixture of stat boosts to both herself and any locals she infected. A much better use of points than the Defense Boost skill of the Enhancement tree, which gave armor only to her and not that much of it either.

Flamescale then moved through the Rift and frowned at the sight of the desert wasteland that was just past the landing pad she seemed to have been dropped out onto. The facility was all alone in the middle of nowhere, with the organic construction style of the Macrophylla cement extrusion systems. A sort of tech that sounded more practical than it actually was, both in the human world and this one if complaints from those who used it were to be believed. They made wonderful looking additive manufactured structures, but the things apparently broke often and were harder to fix.

Immediately next to her was a small control tower, which she seemed to have been placed into the storage area for, and there were a pair of Rhizocephala warriors in a 319 energy containment cell. The Rhizo all looked different from each other, a side effect of them being grown individually by an out of control artificial life cycle intended to make bio-terror weapons for an ancient and long dead species. The crab-like monsters had always been found in space encounters, but the third seasonal event was all about a massive number of them being found on an abandoned world.

They smelled like the toxic material she had gotten the Fluid Pestilence from, which was an uneasy thought given the timing of that mission appearing in the middle of their seasonal event, but did give some inspiration. Flamescale got out her 319 security cracker and set it up on the containment's controller, which was as usual a low level 319 system because it was a poor idea to just open any of these Rhizo holders.

The barrier dropped with a pop, and a small alarm started to ring out, but Flamescale focused on firing a pair of spines into each of the Rhizo. The first immediately started to grow a coating of red infected material, while the second sent its own barrage of spines at her before the residue on the spines she hit it with overtook it. Notably, each of them seemed to have patches of their body that were turning entirely into the same infected goo she was made out of, which was not normal for the infection seen in the lab where she got the ST.

They also suddenly smelled different, no longer like that other infection, and now something that made her think of her Void Base. Which made her realize that her Void Base, and maybe herself too, now smelled differently, and possibly not very good if she wasn't made out of infected goo. Something she needed to keep in mind if she switched off the ST.

A 319A emerged from the building, a pale grey bipedal lizard creature that made up most of the mercenary group's soldiers and leaders. Slightly shorter than a Girant and much thinner. Really early in the game they appeared as an opponent without the cybernetics before they formed the 319. The reptile started to shoot at one of the Rhizo with another light plasma rifle as Flamescale melted down to hide behind some storage containers near her newly infected victims.

The 319A was followed by a pair of Macrophylla, more commonly called Leafs, which were three legged green plant creatures with a mass of vines for a body. Some vines ended with eyes shaped like smooth stones, others ended with a dexterous split of vines like a hand, and the most protected ended with a razor filled hole the mostly carnivorous creatures used as a mouth.

The infected Rhizo then reminded Flamescale that her Fluid Pestilence Skill Tree came with a new toxic spit attack when the one that had been shot spat a massive glob that coated all three of those targets with infected residues. The 319A immediately started to break out in red infection, with their long tail melting into a goo version entirely along with part of their side, and then a pair of dual spine launchers formed on either side of the reptile's head. One of the two Leafs instead started to writhe, while the other seemed to grow some red mold in addition to some vines melting down as its own launchers grew in on either side of its large body.

All five creatures then proceeded to ignore her, and the 319 merc moved back towards the control tower, while the other four started towards the main facility, the Leaf that didn't get infected at first following the rest a bit afterwards. Flamescale resolidified and followed the second group at a fair distance, there wasn't much cover from sight and she could see the other Leaf guards start to react. A mixture of spines and globs of infected material were sent towards the guards, while the sound of the Leaf ballistic weapons indicated there would be some resistance.

Flamescale took aim and shot the one guard with her actual rifle instead of just the pistols that the locals seemed to mostly have, although it wasn't enough to kill the plant creature she targeted. Plasma guns worked better in bursts than single shots, but they were notably less accurate and short ranged in that mode. It however did seem to prompt the infected who had guns of their own to also shoot that guard, including some newly infected guards.

She noted that the infected did not seem that intelligent at the moment, they seemed to be able to shoot but were just bumping up against the now locked main doors. Flamescale slithered forward, with a glance at the many paths of infected residue they were leaving behind, and started to use her Leaf security cracker on the door lock. There was a bang as the lock disengaged and suddenly the growing crowd of infected surged inside.

Flamescale took things slowly from there, and mostly just frowned at the increasing number of panicked and horrified shouts from the staff as she idly made her way to a computer system. If there was one detail of Void Strike she disliked more than others it was how real it made all of the locals sound when they were dying in masses. The common mind control and zombie players made horror movie monster moments like this one all the time, and it had taken a long time to get used to the pleas for help. She could understand the appeal of those STs, but they really were a bit clunky to use and she very much preferred to go about things stealthy.

The first computer that could actually help her was the security system, with a door that seemed to have been torn off and a number of fading trails of red goo that lead back out again. The cameras showed that the entire facility was overrun now, and there were only a couple of places where she might need to clean up the rest. "Hopefully they don't scream as much when I can actually control the infected," she complained aloud. The command interface was a mess to use, but still probably better than this random result.

The security computer didn't have access to the data core, but it did let her unlock the doors that led to the central computer and make note of the path. She also used an override to open all of the doors, and hopefully make it easier to clean up after the fact. Flamescale could see some bodies on the way to the core, mostly infected that were taken down by defenders before they were swarmed, but from how everyone present was armed it was clear this was always going to be an easy mission. There were far more infected with combat options than there seemed to be actual worthwhile security forces here.

The core ended up larger than she expected, taking half her data chips to store it all, but the real issue came from the mission objectives screen. Which kindly informed Flamescale that all of her infected still counted as personnel present at the site, and that she now needed to kill all of them to actually finish the mission. "Of course they do," she sighed and got started with trying to clean up the horror show she created.

Thankfully, while the infected did not directly obey her commands, they did just let her shoot them until they died, even the notoriously hard to control Rhizo. Returning to her Void Base she frowned deeply at getting only two more points for her ST, and nothing else really worth commenting on. With another sigh she went over to the communications console and called Yellow-Glow.

"The data you recovered was well worth it, even if you probably should have spent some of that extra time looking for any resources or gear to take," Yellow-Glow commented as she finished going over the mission. "That site was working on their bio-tech attempts. The Rhizocephala you found were actually experimental subjects they had purchased at a fair expense."

"Do you think that the developers want us to stop playing because of the horrors of being a mass killer?" Flamescale questioned tiredly, and not for the first time. "Or to just get so used to it we don't care that we do that anymore?"

"Given the rest of the game, I suspect they never really want us to stop playing," he half joked. "At a minimum you can rest assured that the lore says there exists countless instances where nobody ever took that mission, and more practically there are dozens of players who probably run that one over and over for resources using a zombie ST. Your single instance is a drop in the metaphorical bucket."

"Yeah, I know. I just wonder about using this ST," she admitted. "I try and stick with missions where killing isn't the main goal for a reason. Well, okay, if it is Rhizo I am fine with killing them. Maybe Girant on those Slink rebellion missions too. And the 319 are also all mercs. I guess the plants aren't that great either."

"To be clear, you just killed off a group that was trying to make Rhizocephala that they could control," Yellow-Glow specified to continue the topic. "Admittedly, you did it for Girant who want that data for themselves, but it still was likely a net positive."

"Not everyone goes for net positives," Flamescale sighed. "I'm going to just sleep a while, I have the new Care-A-Bot to work on and thinking about this is a bit too much of a distraction. Wake me when the weekly is available."

"I am a major fan of work on new Care-A-Bots," her old friend laughed, and Helen was happy to hear Mike could joke about that now. "The second best use of Synch-Tech as far as I am concerned."

---

[Author's Note]
This is still faster updates than normal, but I also am having a very easy time with starting this off for the moment.
I do want to bring up again that I want feedback on any tags or such for the story, because as seen here this story is probably going to have some very concerning fights.

Last edited:
She could understand the appeal of those STs, but they really were a bit clunky to use and she very much preferred to go about things stealthy.
Fortunate she has the Hidden Infection tree then. Especially if it has skills that let here be stealthy in addition to the disease, like letting her crawl inside a victim to directly infect and control them, or turn into a gaseous cloud of pestilence instead of liquid, or similar skills.

SuperMeatBlob's SpaceBattles Post
SuperMeatBlob said:
The game loop itself kinda reminds me of warframe actually, was that intended ?
That is one of the inspiration games here, along with Payday 2, Deep Rock Galactic, and a whole bunch of RPG skill systems that have been messed with, some of which I have only heard about and not actually played myself.
Games are admittedly only part of the inspirations, but I think that is as much as I will mention so far.
SuperMeatBlob said:
If I had to criticize something.. Maybe goes a bit too deep in the skill minutiae, when we don't even know what her goals are with it ?
She doesnt seem to enjoy the infection gimmick all that much beyond its aesthetics.
Well now, that is something I do want to address with a reply.
This post is going to go to both forums because that is something I wanted to be clear from what has been posted so far. So I would ask if I managed to include all of the following:

Flamescale's goal at the moment is to finally finish getting the Void Entity body she really wants to have. That body is "snake with arms made out of living liquid", which possibly doesn't make sense as a desire to non-furries, and maybe not even to all furries from the details there, but is important enough to her that she is willing to work to get it.
That said, the story starts at a point where she is resorting to a less than optimal way to get that kind of body. The character creator lets you just be a snake with arms, and it also lets you be a living blob of liquid, but in order to be both you need to start as the former and get a special skill for the latter. This is a restriction on what abilities are available just from character creation.
In her view Fluid Pestilence is not the best way for her to get the body she wants, it is simply the most reliable way, and she is only going for it after a number of attempts at alternative sources that didn't work. The "Fluid" part is fine, but the "Pestilence" bit is related to the parts of Void Strike she isn't as happy with using, and as a result parts she is personally not as familiar with.
So she is currently testing out the abilities of the Skill Tree to see how/if it works for her as a way to get the body she wanted. I'm trying for a mixture of "how the skills work" and "how she feels about the skills she got".

Quoted SB Post
SuperMeatBlob said:
Right, so I did get that impression on the first read, but just to make sure I gave the whole thing a quick re-read, and yeah, most of that was pretty clear in the text :

From what I understand, she got step 1 on what she wanted out of the thing, and the actual skill that'll let her solidify and liquify properly (as opposed to 'noodle shaped goo') is hundreds of skill points away ? It's the impression I got, but I can't find it in text anymore...
Or does she already have her stated goal, and now she's saving up for the multiform skills ? (which does sound awesome)
Anyway this is the actual part I was confused about, I think, now that I've re-read it.

The fact that she doesn't actually like the pestilence part is also said in text, so my first impression wasn't wrong

I did not really get why she was using infection skills last chapters, but that was also explicit in text : those were skills that were unlocked by default and she was trying them out for Science

On the whole you don't have to worry, most of what you wanted conveyed was clear.
Maybe be a bit more explicit on 'my long term goals for this are X, and I need to go through Y to get it' ? Or is she not actually sure and just trying things out at this point ?
So, reading through this response I am fairly sure that the next few chapters as they currently are will address most of the confusion here, although a part of me does wonder if I should clarify one thing sooner than that.

A Skill Tree is intended to be the biggest set of boosts a Void Entity can have. The way I have it built is that getting a little ability in every skill is much cheaper than getting a full power version of any one skill, but once filled out these skills are stronger than anything that can be found as a one off skill, mostly because of other skills that improve base skills that don't usually appear as a one off.
As of right now Flamescale is counting points really closely because she barely has any, so only the cheapest skills and only a few skills at a time are available, and she is trying out the skills as she gets points for them. With no limit on swapping out skills for other skills in the tree that is an easy thing to do, but it is mostly a thing done for new Skill Trees or to get a skill that the player doesn't usually level but needs for a specific mission.

The first arc is planned to be about that initial exploration of the Skill Tree along with an introduction of the world, with future arcs covering things that are more like typical story plots and likely also covering much longer periods of time.

Weekly Event
--- 5 - Weekly Event ---

"Flamescale, you might be more interested in this weekly than we thought," Yellow-Glow woke her up ingame. Out of game she was asleep as well, but the way you could be both awake and asleep at once with Void Strike's Synch-Tech was still something she wished she could work out the trick to for her actual job.

"Just a second," she burbled more than grumbled, and realized she had fallen asleep so heavily this time she ended up entirely combined with the pool of infected material she had selected as a bed. It took a bit of waking up to slither out and solidify into her proper self, but it wasn't a bad way to wake up at all. "What is it this time?" Weekly events were typically where the development and story of the worlds progressed outside of seasons, although not by much.

"A new 319 nanotech security cracker model is being completed, the weekly is a job for another 319 faction, with the goal to infiltrate and acquire the development details and also a sample of the tech," he replied. "From the description we are to be paid in whatever security crackers we find besides the single unit we need to send."

"One to deliver, as many as you can carry for payment?" Flamescale questioned, and noticed that Yellow-Glow had already invited her to join his mission. There were three ways to encounter other players in Void Strike. The obvious one was to join up with another player to both take the same mission, which was easier most of the time than doing things alone but could result in reduced rewards because you had to split up actual gear found. The second was for Open Instances, where the single instance of a world had multiple missions that could go on at the same time, and those were where you had to be careful that the other mission wasn't going to be against your own leading to PvP. Finally there were Mass Instance special missions where the client deliberately called for multiple Void Entities and you couldn't start until enough players signed up for them. "I take it we aren't supposed to kill the developers for this one?"

"No, we will need to be careful with those individuals. My plan is that I will subvert their technology and you will subvert their security," Yellow-Glow answered as she went over the contract. It was fairly standard for a minor tech development, a very easy way to point out where something new and valuable could be found because the locals were after it too. "Did you get enough points to run the Hidden Contagion branch?"

"Maybe," she admitted, and opened the Skill Tree menu. "I assume we don't want to go with infecting with residue? I also can't afford to have them able to infect others too" She was not giving up her Liquid Mobility points.

"I would prefer without both of those actually, although keep the spike launchers," he laughed with a shake of his head, which currently was a single large circular transmission dish. "Those are possibly our best vector. I want a quick mission, the data I am after might be here, but I have some doubts about how much of it will be present. This is not the kind of target I hoped for."

"That sounds like you had an idea what they would go for. I know it hasn't happened yet," Flamescale noted carefully as she took out the residue and victim infection skills to get the points for both Infected Control and Hidden Infection. "But you are being careful not to do anything to make the developers mad, right?" Putting the points into Infected Control gave her a command interface prompt, one that noted 'intelligent minions' which was a bit new to her so she read it while she waited for an answer.

"I have a solid idea of where the developer's lines are, and I worry that they are farther away than I first thought," Yellow-Glow answered. "Is something wrong?"

"Did they update the command interface?" she questioned with a frown. "This is an order interface, like that thing they tried in season two. It even allows for default orders."

"Flamescale, Helen, please tell me you haven't been complaining about the command interface this whole time because you haven't tried one since season two updated them," Yellow-Glow said with entirely justified annoyance if that was what happened. "No, Flamescale, you don't still need to either micromanage them individually or give single orders to every one of them at once."

"To be fair, it used to be bad enough to make me not use them for this whole time," she countered without much real feeling. "Is this actually better?" She exited the command interface to add the other skill.

"Vaguely. I personally still find it clunky to use mid-mission, and many complain that you need intelligent minions along with advanced skills to really do more than just prioritize targets," he admitted as she set Hidden Infection with her two new points.

That automatically opened the command interface again to show off a number of new options, the most interesting of which to her was- "Wait, I can have them just keep doing what they were doing while ignoring me?" Flamescale questioned with a lot of thoughts on how that could work out.

"That is our current plan, yes," her friend complained. "Or to make them continue to act as normal with priorities set to benefit us. I do not need a main terminal for my goal, and I can get us an entry point close to the storage area we need."

"Gear?" she questioned now that she was on the same page.

"Do you still have the Tarp?" Yellow-Glow asked. "Because you will need the Tarp and probably a backup weapon just in case."

Flamescale glared at her friend. 'The Tarp' was their name for the first time she had tried to have clothes made for her. Technically speaking it was a cloak large enough to cover her whole body, but in practice she looked like someone trying to wear a tarp somewhere. "You want a good luck charm?" she sarcastically asked, because despite at times trying she had not lost it on a mission yet, but still went to get it. "I think I'm going to want Reverted Form if I try this sort of thing again, also to make it so any of my minions can hide when exposed again too."

"I do not think that will disguise the spine launchers, and they are what I want hidden," Yellow-Glow sighed. "You know, the whole reason we bought that thing to begin with? Liquid or scales those still attract unwanted attention."

"I got the hat for a reason," she complained from inside of the Tarp as she grabbed a light plasma rifle for backup and a minimal rigging belt for that and some data chips.

"Everyone noticed the hat, Flamescale, they notice it more than the Tarp," Yellow-Glow pointed out. "That is why it got shot." The other downside of the gear side of the game was you could in fact have things get destroyed.

"Ready for the mission?" she asked to change the topic, and then moved through the Void Rift as it pulsed to indicate it had opened to the mission.

It was her first time seeing Yellow-Glow in person since getting her new Skill Tree, and she frowned deeply at the massive mechanical spider his current body was shaped like, vaguely hidden by what could only be called a second Tarp. "Oh, we're going for a theme then," she commented as she took in the area around them. The target wasn't exactly inside of an arcology, they seemed to be near the edge of one in the outlying industrial centers that tended to develop as the core structure needed to expand.

"You smell like lava fruit?" he questioned, and it was a sudden reminder of the one not-meat thing her body consistently enjoyed from local food services. "How, no why do you smell like lava fruit?"

"I didn't think I ate that much of the stuff," Flamescale noted with a reminder that the volcanic plant's fruit wasn't thought of as very tasty by most locals, even if they used it for the enjoyable smell. "Well, it should help right?"

"We could pass you off as a lava fruit slime monster, yes," he sighed. "I will need a bit, get ready to sit around."

That was an aspect of Synch-Tech games that Void Strike pulled off and most in the genre overlooked. The idea was to have a game you could constantly play, but most didn't actually give gameplay that took advantage of the increased immersive playtime. Typical Synch-Tech games did have a harder time keeping synched, so you couldn't play them while asleep like Void Strike, and even Void Strike was something to just sleep in when you were doing something tricky back in reality, but otherwise it was far easier to spend more time on the same task.

Void Strike combined that with an open and unusually dynamic set of mission worlds to allow for many unusual methods of dealing with missions. Spending some time in civilian areas, making maps of targets, going for another location to make your own goal easier, or even arranging for local backup were all things you could do during a mission instead of just going for the direct approach. There wasn't anything stopping you from taking days to complete the mission, unless the objectives specified a timeline.

So Flamescale was free to people watch, and get odd glances herself, while Yellow-Glow did whatever he needed to do to actually prepare for their current objective and personal projects. It was always strange to just see normal locals going about their days, mostly because you rarely saw anything like a repeated action. The worlds were entirely alive, and she knew that Yellow-Glow had at times tracked every action of some people to see how deep the simulation went.

She shook that thought away, it wasn't something she liked to dwell on, and instead opened her command interface again. A quick check showed that it was more than possible to set it up so she was automatically ignored by any infected, and so they always moved to assist her with doors and consoles they could open or access for her. She could even save the template she made for use later on when she got rid of the skill for something else for a while.

"Can you fire all four spines into that guard without being seen?" Yellow-Glow then quietly questioned with an AR marker on one of the 319A lizards coming towards the target building.

"Not without any reaction, and I do have something of a damage boost already," Flamescale cautioned, but started to move a bit to watch. The damage boost wasn't anywhere near the high end, and it was possible with a one-off skill she kept on constantly to tune damage downwards, but that took a bit of skill and the high end really was for taking on armored troops and vehicles. The area wasn't heavily populated, so she took a chance with the full set. Visually the cyborg lizard just flinched a bit, and then was marked as infected and controlled. Nobody else reacted at all other than to glance at the stumble.

"Have him pick up the data chip on the ground over there," Yellow-Glow instructed, and she realized that he had dropped that when they first arrived. "I need it installed into the main security console."

"It will be a bit before I can use those again," she said as her infected followed that order, with a bit of an attempt to make it look like they had tripped and dropped something in the process. "My claws or fangs will be best for any more."

"The next guard to subvert is going to be coming in a few minutes," Yellow-Glow explained easily. "They will get us into the depot, where we will need to subvert a third to get me to an access point."

The command interface was giving her more information than she expected, and wasn't looking good for that plan even as the infected lizard made his way inside. "Are you sure? Because this guy thinks he is late," she pointed out.

"Oh, we have a problem then," Yellow-Glow admitted with a rather quick turn towards the building. "If that set of cybernetics is supposedly 'late' then that is an impostor. We need to move, order him to only act as a guard after installing that chip."

"This is why I hate command mode," she complained as the two of them took off towards the structure. "Okay, I think I've worked out what he was going to do, there is a console by garage three where his allies are going to be taking a prototype... Why do I have this much knowledge of what he is doing?"

"I will let you know when I have time to review the guides, move!" The mechanical spider shifted in direction again towards the third large door on the prefabricated structure.

"Spines ready," she noted aloud. "There are two inside, both in on this plan."

"Two spines each, I have system access, the doors will be locked behind them. One 319A, one 319C," he declared as the outer door opened up for them to see the pale lizard man and purple stereotypical alien.

The lizard monster was easy to hit with the spines, but did not get marked as infected, while the 319C was only hit by one of the two she immediately sent their way and was infected. A very rough and quick order had the weaker scientist grab at the clearly more confused than anything lizard.

"No alarms yet," Yellow-Glow said as she surged forward to just bite the 319A, finally infecting them and giving them a bit of breathing room. "I cannot detect any more complications. Start to package the results, focus on the experimental units, and order these two to escort me to the nearest core terminal. We are leaving as soon as I am done."

"Got it," Flamescale agreed, and started to sort through the boxes the two new infected had brought for the rarest looking devices. "They were working for a place in the arcology, rival facility. We have some time, it was just these three and the first one is supposed to call for the pickup."

"I will be right back," he declared and set off with the two infected.

"Wait around and then hurry up," Flamescale complained as she found the four clear containers for nanotech security crackers. Those devices sounded like they should be a sort of cybernetic that you could just casually install, but the actual purpose was to be hidden as something else until needed in a nearly liquid form, and then fused together into a device afterwards. Cybernetics with built-in security crackers were fairly common, but needed to be installed using the character editor much like the Rhizo bio-weapon skills. They could still be damaged unlike those skills, but were notable more potent than handheld units.

Cybernetics also were completely useless for her with Liquid Body, so she had uninstalled the few she had before she even got the Fluid Pestilence tree. This was instead something she could carry even more easily than the data chips that she had already gotten into tight spaces.

She left three of the four containers in a larger box that she just stuck into her lower body and tail. It felt somewhat strange to have something so large embedded into her body so easily, and she knew it wouldn't easily stay with her if she was forced to melt down, but it gave them an option other than just putting it into their arms and running. A quick sorting of the other boxes revealed a couple of prototype cybernetics as well that Yellow-Glow might have a use for, and a number of experimental security crackers that looked more mundane, both of which had their containers join the first one embedded in her body. She then started to consider the remaining items and put a few more into her semi-liquid form.

"I have the data," Yellow-Glow declared as he emerged with the two infected 319 still following. "Let these idiots go and let's get out of here."

"I'm just starting to work out this new command interface," she complained. "I have the stuff."

"Almost a year old is not 'new', Flamescale," he countered and started to make a break for the place their shared Void Rift was located. "Pass me one of the nanotech models, I need to get that to the dropoff location. We can work out distributing the rest later." Trade between players was a matter of using the season two update's feature to visit other player Void Bases. You couldn't directly access another player's storage, but you could bring things into their base and take things given to you. It was a clunky system, and trading any real number of the raw resources was a bit of a pain, but for the most part it was used just for cases like this where you had multiple people who trusted each other splitting a mission's outcome after the fact.

It was a bit clunky to move with the boxes and items embedded in her, but she passed the last of the four nanotech models to her friend. "Here, see you soon," she declared and set off towards the Rift at the best speed she could manage with that new complication.

Entering the Rift she found the typical "mission pending" warning you saw in a few cases where you ended up back at your Void Base. Most commonly when you were killed on the mission and respawned at the base, at least as long as you didn't fail the mission entirely before dying and could still go back in to try and complete it. The other case was when you deliberately did not finish the objective to do more in the mission instance, which for a mission like this would be to try and grab more loot from the target.

This time the message quickly was replaced with a mission completion screen, which sadly did not have much in rewards. The standard stat boost skills and client provided raw materials weren't really that valuable, Void Echos were good but easy to build up, and Flamescale was disappointed to see only three more points towards her Fluid Pestilence Skill Tree. There was also a noted penalty for leaving behind the three infected, but a note that it was the lesser penalty due to being a contained infection.

With a sigh she put a request for Yellow-Glow to come to her Void Base, and started to look through what she had taken.

---

[Author's Note]
Now we have a bit of character interaction and some more controlled situations. Next chapter is a bigger one, and hopefully won't be too far off given I am mostly done with the chapter after.
I do have a plan on where I am going, and a fairly complete overall plot for the first two arcs so far. This is currently the halfway point for arc one pending any chapters being added or cut.

Last edited:
Better Than One
--- 6 - Better Than One ---

Flamescale had managed to sort out the loot they had gotten in the weekly event by the time Yellow-Glow arrived at her Void Base. "I'm keeping the containers," she informed her friend. "They are all good quality." Good containers were always useful for storing things you wanted to grab or sneaking items into targets.

"I have all I wanted from the data," the mechanical spider proudly declared. "It has some insights that at least indicate where I need to look for the next season. Oh, wait are those?"

"319 remote access cybernetics, with built in experimental security crackers," the semi-liquid snake said proudly and nodded at the find she was sure he missed them getting. "I don't have a good use for those anymore, so go ahead and take them."

"I take it you want all of the nanotech models?" Yellow-Glow questioned with a laugh, and Flamescale took a moment to look at the both of them. She was shaped like a viper with arms that was made entirely out of a bubble filled red toxic goo, and he was currently a massive yellow spider robot with a communications dish for a head. It was nothing like their human forms, but also so very much the way she pictured herself, although her friend was rarely the same thing two days in a row. "Your whole base smells like lava fruit now, by the way."

"I want two of them at least, and maybe some of the older models I found. Also the full size plasma rifle, those are fairly rare," she explained. "I'm also going to try out the first of the Multiform branch now," she decided with another glance at her total of ten points in the ST. "So if you want to stick around for that I'd appreciate the help."

"Yes, that sounds like a great use of my time," her friend eagerly declared. "Also what other skills are on that branch? I haven't had much luck yet finding information, but I can fine tune where to hunt for that knowledge with those details. Did you get a good amount of points from the weekly?"

"Did I get a good amount of points from a mission where we just needed to wait for the already present infiltration team to bring us the stuff?" she questioned with a somewhat sarcastic laugh as she took the Rhizo spike launcher skill off again. "I got three, I have exactly enough for it."

"Three for a shared simple solo mission isn't that bad," Yellow-Glow pointed out as she removed all of her points from the other branches. "Usually that cuts it down a bit anyway."

"Right, so they have things split a bit, first off there is a one level called Dual Form," she explained and then paused. "Wait, that is sort of like how the Liquid Mobility normally has Liquid Body at the top, isn't it?"

"If it has a unique ST somewhere that always has that skill then it might be a similar situation," Yellow-Glow agreed as she selected the skill.

"After that the only thing unlocked is the actual Multiform skill, which starts at twenty points for a third body, and has seven levels," Flamescale explained, and frowned at the strange sensations she now felt. As if she was pressed into herself the same way those containers had been somehow, only far more comfortably and completely. "Then I have two other five point cost one-off skills that require the Multiform skill. The first... requires Infected Control? Oh, it is a skill to make my infected victims into more heads. I'm going to need to check if more heads actually is useful for that one."

"I believe that is the giant monster part of the branch, to grow in size and be able to take on armies in theory," he responded with interest. "That would be, thirty eight points total to get that one?"

"Yeah, that's a bit much right now, but the other one doesn't require anything else. It, might have some dynamic text in its description," she noted as she read Material Movement's description and requirements. "I think it always lets you move through whatever you are made of, and I just have a lot of options there because I am made out of the infected material."

"I would need to check in more detail, but it is beginning to sound like this is a sub-branch of Liquid Mobility," Yellow-Glow pointed out with a nod. "Have you selected it yet?"

"Let me start with the head part," Flamescale said, mostly to get herself ready as well. The idea of pulling her head in two felt strangely natural now, and it was surprisingly easy to pull her snout in two different directions. The tip split first, giving an odd feeling in her mouth as it got notably wider, and then started to feel like two mouths. Then she was suddenly able to see the split down the middle from the middle, where she could look to the side, or perhaps to her middle, and see the orange glow of her changed eyes next to each other. From there it quickly spread down her neck, or necks as it continued, until she found what felt like a natural place to stop right at her shoulders.

"Huh," she attempted with both mouths at once, succeeded and decided, "Nope," "Not doing that anymore." One head after another was much better than both at once.

"That is an interesting result," Yellow-Glow said, now entirely focused on her. She twisted one head to face him with the other looking over her other head and neck. "How are you handling that?"

"I can't tell yet," she had the head facing him say while the other determined that it was fairly likely this setup of necks wouldn't work for something made out of biology instead of goo. "I literally am just starting out with it." "Let me try going all the way first," she added with the second head.

Pulling apart more wasn't any more unusual feeling than it was to split to being two headed, or even from staying together actually. It didn't take much more to start feeling two new shoulders in the gap, followed by arms and hands that pulled apart easily, and left her to pause and see her entire upper body with actual life instead of just the character creator model for once. It took about the same amount of time to pull the rest of her lower bodies and tails apart as it took to split off her upper bodies due to the length of her character.

With deliberate action she moved both bodies away from each other, then smiled at herself twice over as she could finally really see the body she wanted in motion. See her form move with a long tail-like body, that did not stay entirely solid as it bobbed and wiggled a bit from being made out of goo instead of flesh, with two arms still but without the legs her human form needed. Then as another test of things she had one body slither over the top of the other, and felt goo against goo in the moment. Similar to the pools around her, but also different in key ways.

Then what she was easily doing caught up to her, and Helen looked over at her friend's character with a pair of serious expressions. "Mark, I know Synch-Tech. I make support bots for the disabled," she said deliberately stating the obvious, because the problem was obvious to her now. "You need them from the accident. They can't handle two bodies of the same kind at once like this. It needs to be delayed to keep the commands from going to the wrong one."

"It would be much easier to maintain mine if I could use two at once to this degree, but even what can be done is enough to let me stay independent," Mark's character agreed tightly. "Void Strike is really exceptional, isn't it," he said and Helen took three deep breaths at once. That sentence was a coded phrase between the two of them. It meant to drop the subject, because they both wanted to avoid thinking too hard about how far ahead the game was compared to the rest of the industry. To avoid thinking of the implications there. "So, can you actually handle that this easily, Flamescale?" Yellow-Glow added after a pause.

"What do you think I mean, Yellow-Glow?" she asked despite the phrase, because it should have been obvious to him from that aborted discussion.

"I mean that being rare is not the only complication with that branch," her friend pointed out. "It can be harder to handle than being able to melt, and most of the discussion I have found is about how hard it is to experience even just in the extra heads situation."

Flamescale moved her two lower bodies over each other more and let them meld back together so she only had two heads again. "Yellow-Glow," "I have used multiple Synch-Tech bodies at once before," "The issue is that they aren't usually the right level of responsive," she said, alternating which head said what.

"That is going to be a thing with you... That is already a thing with you, isn't it?" he questioned tiredly.

Helen paused in thought, realized this was not in fact the first time she had pulled that trick, and sighed three times over. "Maybe?" Flamescale said in two voices.

"I think I will just leave you to try out this one yourself," Yellow-Glow said tiredly. "I have a feeling it is going to stick given this reaction."

"You say that like it is a problem," she said with both heads. "No, still do not like that," she restated with only one again.

"I cannot tell which of those is more unnerving," her friend admitted, and took his loot from the last mission and started to leave. "Have fun with that, and be safe, Flamescale."

"Be safe, Yellow-Glow," Flamescale agreed as he left. Then she pulled her heads back together. Which wasn't really any different from melting down or turning solid, if possibly a lot like doing both at once. She simply stood there for a moment after that, and then moved to the mission console for a distraction.

"... that one requires two people to pull off," she said aloud with excitement. "I know that one needs two people." A mission that was basically intended to have you find another Void Entity to partner with, but didn't require it. A Girant facility was the target, specifically the goal was to aid a Slink rebellion so you were being paid by the rat-like creatures. The goal was to open a well defended depot while also creating a distraction for the Slinks as they took the weapons or other supplies out with the lower utility tunnel network. In theory you could help set up something to open the locks remotely, but the Slinks usually struggled with the Girant guards if you weren't down there, and the Girant reacted too well if you convinced them to try and be their own distraction.

The surface battle was a bit tougher than she usually attempted without a solidly leveled ST, but she had just gotten a new full sized 319 plasma rifle, and could always make it a slightly different kind of distraction. If she spent a bit to check out the area she might get lucky and have the variant with a nearby vehicle depot where she could swipe one of their hover combat units. Yellow-Glow had often made good use of that option when they tackled this mission together on one of those variants.

The Tarp was put away a bit forcefully for once again surviving, and replaced with one of her worst riggings. This was an attempt that was risky, and while the new rifle was a nice thing to get it wasn't something she wasn't willing to lose immediately. The various devices, the nanotech security crackers in particular, were put away and two mid level 319 made security crackers were added to the rigging. Two because it was just good practice, and the last time she only took one to a mission where the Girant were shooting at her it ended up smashed while she still needed it. Finally she made sure to have her usual pistol on hand just in case, this time a silenced model used by the Leaf that was a bit tricky to hold but easy to find.

Flamescale emerged out of the Void Rift into the Slink tunnel meeting zone, and cringed at the reaction of her contact to her appearance. Which honestly was not worse than normal, Slinks tended to assume she would want to eat them normally. Still she had hoped for a radio contact instead of in-person.

"Lava fruit devourer?" the Slink questioned with the tone of somebody who had just summoned the most unusual demon they could have seen. "Why, who came up with the idea of a lava fruit smelling great devourer?"

"I can just eat you if that is what you are actually asking for," Flamescale said somewhat insulted, but happy enough that it wasn't clear that she was toxic in nature.

"No, I, ugh. We need a distraction from secured bunker 19, and someone to open bunker 19's electronic security, preferably at the same time," the Slink finally explained. "Is there someone else coming?"

Flamescale split her head again, pulling both heads away from each other smoothly to look at either side of her contact's head. "I can handle that," one head said. "It is something quite simple," the other added. Flamescale then realized she wasn't entirely paying attention to which head said what. "You wouldn't happen to know where a vehicle depot is?" she asked with one of them.

"I know of several, but we are hoping to use one to get the equipment out of here, so please pick one we won't be using," the Slink declared, in that still far too smart way that locals' AI always managed, and in a way that did not help with what she wanted to be distracted from. "Do- can your kind use automap data? I can give you the location of the ones we want to try and use, please avoid those. I also have the signal beacon for you to use to indicate the bunker is opened."

She took the small device from them easily. "Yes, we can open your electronic security after all," she pointed out with the other head from last time. The Slink seemed appropriately worried about that, and quickly transferred the map data. "Depot 7 should be far enough, right?"

The Slink looked back and forth between her two heads, then nodded. "Ah, yes? That should work as a distraction, just make sure to open the bunker too," they said and scampered off clearly wanting out of the conversation more than anything else.

Flamescale chuckled at that, and re-checked the map. There was what looked like a good place to split apart to reach both of her objectives more easily not too far away, and she made sure to mark her Void Rift. Automap data was valuable, but required either access to the instance's mapping systems, or to get a map from a local. In an arcology that was easy, but Girant areas were only accurately mapped by the Slinks that lived in the tunnels. Finding a Slink that was intact enough and stayed still long enough to get a map out of them was often harder than it was worth.

The rough industrial area was easy enough to travel quickly when you could just scare anyone out of your path with your appearance as you traveled down tunnels. Two heads actually helped out a lot with that, as you often needed to keep an eye on multiple angles at the same time when trying to go through the tight tunnels that fast.

The small area she planned on reaching was cleared out soon after she arrived there, and with that she started to pull apart more. Then ran into her rigging, and then had one body awkwardly flow through her rigging and gear in order to fully split apart, and then the one of her without any gear looked the one with all the gear in the face. Then she swore and with a grumble started to take the rigging apart so that she could make sure both had at least some of the kit.

"Okay, do I take the rifle to the bunker or the pistol?" she asked herself, then realized there was another herself there to technically ask.

"Rifle for bunker, pistol for depot," she decided with the other her. "That way if things go wrong we have firepower there."

"Talking to myself like this is probably a terrible idea," she then admitted with both bodies despite how she disliked that way of talking more than possibly having full conversations where it was just her. The security crackers and data chips were easy to split up, and the rigging would work with only about half of it each. The her given the pistol took the smaller part of the rigging, while the other her kept the larger part. "Next time I need to plan for this."

Going in two different directions at once wasn't an entirely new thing for her, but there was a lot more ground to cover and she actually needed to do two different things as well. It was still too easy to look at the tunnels that led downward into the bunker and the ones that would lead to an alleyway by the target vehicle depot. Even with her experience outside of the game this was a new sensation that was far too simple to deal with.

Flamescale's more well armed body made it to the bunker first, and that gave her the time to investigate the details. The bunker itself was at the bottom of a large gap with cranes to lift and lower supplies, with a large number of tunnels and lesser storage areas on the various levels. It did not appear to be a typical Girant armory, and in fact looked more like a secure storage facility for a research facility. A research facility that which appeared to be built on top of one of the ledges, with a parking area full of visible transports on the other.

A familiar smell also was coming up from the bunker. One that made her wonder what exactly this particular rebellion was planning, and if she really wanted to help them. It smelled heavily of either the original infection, or maybe of the Rhizocephala, and either of those seemed a bit extreme to try and use in an uprising. Then Flamescale remembered that she was entirely made out of that kind of infection, and only couldn't use it at the moment because she traded out that capacity to be in two places at once. With that reminder she made her way towards the security center she could see on the level above the main door.

Her other body reached the alley next to the vehicle depot she had selected before then, a surface facility at the crossroads of two major roadways that were reinforced to handle the heavy tanks she could see inside the depot. The vehicle mechanics of Void Strike were simply to give you fully detailed controls accurate to the vehicles in question. For the Girant that was something she could handle, they were generally fairly rugged and redundant, which meant that while they were made for someone with four arms they in practice could be used with two and a lot of not caring about using them properly. Their hover units would be more mobile, but she felt a tank should still work.

Then she was in a complicated moment where she was both trying to find an actual air vent large enough to let her try and carry her stuff into so she could get into the security center discretely, and also trying to recall which of the Girant vehicles would be the easiest to cause a complete disaster that lasted long enough. The former ended up with that body instead just staying in a Slink tunnel with a number of the creatures that clearly knew something was coming to help, but were not happy with what exactly. The latter instead involved going for a two gunned monster of a tank that Flamescale was fairly sure nobody thought was actually a good idea to make.

From there she focused on getting into the monster tank, which had a layer of dust thick enough to make Flamescale realize that it probably wasn't going to work too well. A check of the computer system, which took an uneasy amount of time to boot, revealed that the micro-fission reactor module was still online at minimum capacity. The rest of the tank, however, was a mess of yellow and red errors.

So, she reluctantly left it behind for a more modern looking model right in front of it, which had an interesting security feature compared to the older hunk of garbage. Someone had welded a number of bars over the battle damaged access hatch, just wide enough to drop her stuff down. Flamescale happily started to melt into the opening. Then realized to her dislike that she had not tried to do that without the first level of both of the mobility skills, and it took a bit too long and was a bit too slow to move, as if she was a thicker blob than she wanted to be.

That made her decide that until she got those skills again she wasn't going to rely on that ability. Which would be after this mission, as she wasn't giving up two bodies either but definately wanted that back. Two bodies was a complicated thing to think about clearly, but to actually use it had turned out to be exactly the sort of thing she wanted now that she knew it was an option.

The modern tank started up, with a newer superconductor battery power system that was at half charge, and even had some ammo. With a familiar amount of awkward movements Flamescale put a round into the second best looking tank, and then took off towards the nearest space port as quickly as the tank could go. The sound of alarms and warnings was just what she wanted, and it was very nice to hear scrambling inside the security center with her other body too.

That second her saw about half the local Girant soldiers then start to run out of the pit quickly, and that Flamescale got the plasma rifle ready. The security center door opened, and she waited for the first Girant to leave up a ladder before she surged forward into the space they left behind. Her security cracker got through the door lock in an instant, fresh credentials ready to be exploited in an electronic lock not made to high tolerance. Then she shot the first Girant she saw, threw the weight of her tail over the second to hold them to the ground, and fired again at the first in a movement that she had done a few times before, although usually with a far more complete set of ST stat boosts.

There were quite a few Girant yelling at the tank by that point, and a few stray shots to try and get the other her to stop, but she was more concerned with how the Girant she had landed on was sinking into her. Rather, how the taste of Girant was coming to her from where they were starting to dissolve inside of her, which was technically a thing that Liquid Body allowed, but also something she thought she had more control over. Admittedly she wanted them dead, but she didn't want something to eat at the same time.

"Glad I didn't stick anything edible in there I wanted to keep," she complained and moved to the control console. A quick check with the security cracker on both the device the Slink had given her and then a configuration of the built in jammer contained within the security center let her start a jamming signal to all other communications lines, and then she triggered the device and the seals on the large bunker door at the same time.

The Slinks moved immediately, and Flamescale was barely fast enough to get back out to try and help take out the remaining Girant around the bunker. The cranes also began to move rapidly towards the lowest level, and the smell of the original infection strain grew stronger as the seals opened.

Her body in the tank turned quickly to divert down a side road in response to a Girant medium combat shuttle moving to intercept. That was probably a sign that she wasn't getting that body back to the Void Rift intact, but the next vehicle depot she had noticed was well out of range of the raid, and more importantly was not the one marked as the destination of the transports she could now see were going to be loaded with the same containment units she had gotten the Skill Tree out of.

"Do I want to know what you are doing with this stuff?" she actually questioned one of the nearby Slinks that was also watching for any reinforcements.

"Do I want to know why I can see a Girant skull and some fur inside your tail?" the rodent replied cautiously.

"The last time I saw one of those I ended up like this," Flamescale pointed out given the context of that detail.

"The Macrophylla have promised us 319 weapons in exchange for these," the Slink admitted with a cautious look at her. "I take it I would more likely end up like that Girant if I touched the stuff?"

Flamescale did not answer that, because she did not know. It was one of those things about how these worlds worked that Yellow-Glow liked to find out in his ample free time, but those were also the sort of thing she didn't try and test herself very often. "Do you know how to move as a puddle?" she considered aloud to the Slink.

"I do not want to find out," the Slink said and slinked away, clearly done with talking with her after that response.

The depot she ran the tank into was full of the light hover vehicles she had originally planned for, most of which were meant to act as air support for ground forces and thus were not armored against tank cannon or tread. Flamescale then started up the loudspeaker on the tank, made sure her translation was set to Girant, and started to rant a bit about the uselessness of air support that didn't arrive when it was needed. She didn't think she was very coherent, but that wasn't really the point.

It meant that the shuttle attempted to argue with her instead of just shooting immediately, which bought them the time to load all seven of the containment units before the tank took an anti-vehicle missile and reduced her to just one body again.

"We're good, scramble!" one of the Slink leaders said once the loaded transport set out, and Flamescale followed that instruction and went straight to her Void Rift.

She returned, and felt the pressure of being able to form another body return with her as the mission rewards appeared. A massive seven points greeted her, which would let her take the Liquid Climb skill along with the two other Liquid Mobility skills she was putting back first, along with a fair amount of resources, a note on the gear she had lost, and a few new skills. A one-off skill that she frowned deeply at was labeled "Control Digestion", and apparently given the description whoever or whatever was responsible for skills had considered that you might eat things you could, but didn't want to, digest.

"Right, I guess I do know why someone would need that one," she commented as she reluctantly selected the skill for use, which ended up giving a configuration menu, and then because she was still uneasy with the objective sent a recording of the mission to Yellow-Glow for him to check when he had time.

---

[Author's Note]
Here we have Flamescale's newest "oh, I really like this" moment. Let me know if the narration gets too confusing here, because the intent is that the viewpoint character is going to have at minimum the ability to be in two places at once.

Last edited:
Great story so far. Love your world building, as usual, and the hints of bigger things. So very many implications being deliberately ignored as far too big for them to deal with.
The building indications of coming major events is a nice touch, too. One of those things that maintains the implied uncertainty of whether really a game or not...

My jealousy of Flamescale getting to live her dream self continues to increase. All she needs is a second pair of arms per body, a feathered crest, and horns for my envy to be utter and complete :p

My jealousy of Flamescale getting to live her dream self continues to increase. All she needs is a second pair of arms per body, a feathered crest, and horns for my envy to be utter and complete :p
Writing about this may be the closest I can get myself to having such a form, although Flamescale isn't me with regards to all her preferences either.

I'm actually really glad to hear someone knows what I am talking about with how far a furry dream body can go.

Back