Falling Iron (IM MCU/WORM)

Iron Man's first patrol

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
pacing the the last chapter was far too choppy. You rushed past things that should have been handled with less telling and more showing.

Instead of giving a not very satisfying short explaining of everything, explain the frak out of a few things and leave the others to implication. That works wonders for Sanderson.

Odysseus2099 said:
And fat. It's really not going to go well.
She's fat because she can't exercise at all, because of her injuries sustained in the line of fire where she was basically saving the world. I kinda doubt Tony, the man with a nuclear reactor in his chest would mock her at all. Because it would strike kinda close to home.

He might offer to make her an artificial kidney implant with Stark-tech, however. And, since he isn't a parahuman, she might well agree (as I think her main objection to Panacea healing her was that, well, Panacea was an unstable (as some of PRT psychologists had to have guessed) teenage parahuman)

Yog said:
She's fat because she can't exercise at all, because of her injuries sustained in the line of fire where she was basically saving the world.
Erm, am I the only one of the opinion that Tony would TOTALLY mock those who would be saving the world? Friendlily of course, but I doubt Piggot is one of those who could take a joke.

You know, if and when Tony finds out about Dragon being an AI, will he team up to create robotic bodies for Jarvis? I mean, that's what the Iron Legion functioned as, but those were also designed to act as suits, limiting their form and how much can be put into them. I mean, Defiant started altering his body, simply because he couldn't fit everything into his suit.

On Tony being not a parahuman at all. When it is found out (pretty soon, I would bet, as they may give him a physical now, if they don't know it already because of Panacea), I can easily see PRT trying to promote him into director's office of one of PRT branches. Perhaps even Brockton Bay's one (with Piggot potentially supporting this decision and stepping down / retiring).

Think about it. Tony is charismatic. Tony is both a normal human and a powerful cape - someone who would appeal both to the general American population (at least to republicans I think) and to the parahumans he would be in charge of (because he's a cape who would understand their problems). He has experience in leading people (head of Stark industries). He has combat experience. He's perfect for the job.

Now, of course Tony could well decline in lieu of leading his own team (based around Stark Industries reborn). If he does, he's still likely to get lots of support from PRT - at that point they support rogues and independents, I believe, and any such team Tony makes would basically be "PRT, inc.".

if Tony does start his own team, who would be on it? That's a question, and a good one. Taylor is almost certain (especially if/when Sophia comes into play). Other than that... Hm, I can see him getting at least some of the New Wave (Brandish for her lawyer skills if nothing else) and maybe Uber and Leet too (hey, those guys are funny, even if they are idiots and villains).
Gore17 said:
You know, if and when Tony finds out about Dragon being an AI, will he team up to create robotic bodies for Jarvis? I mean, that's what the Iron Legion functioned as, but those were also designed to act as suits, limiting their form and how much can be put into them.
He very well could (though I think he'll be interested in biological computers Dragon is experimenting with at that point too).

One point however, is that Dragon, in terms of algorithms, is far more advanced than Jarvis. Tony would probably be interested in that.
Gore17 said:
I mean, Defiant started altering his body, simply because he couldn't fit everything into his suit.
Isn't this one of the reasons Tony keeps the chest reactor?

Ehn said:
But most importantly: when is Tony going to meet Dennis? :)
They met for all of 10 or so seconds before Tony had his panic attack.

Hope that doesn't paint perspectives too negatively...

Edit: oops. Guess I was wrong about that.

Yog said:
On Tony being not a parahuman at all. When it is found out (pretty soon, I would bet, as they may give him a physical now, if they don't know it already because of Panacea), I can easily see PRT trying to promote him into director's office of one of PRT branches. Perhaps even Brockton Bay's one (with Piggot potentially supporting this decision and stepping down / retiring).

Think about it. Tony is charismatic. Tony is both a normal human and a powerful cape - someone who would appeal both to the general American population (at least to republicans I think) and to the parahumans he would be in charge of (because he's a cape who would understand their problems). He has experience in leading people (head of Stark industries). He has combat experience. He's perfect for the job.

Now, of course Tony could well decline in lieu of leading his own team (based around Stark Industries reborn). If he does, he's still likely to get lots of support from PRT - at that point they support rogues and independents, I believe, and any such team Tony makes would basically be "PRT, inc.".
To the PRT, that might be a slippery slope issue.

"It's okay to let a non-parahuman super-power in charge. We're only biased against people with a thing in their brains!" That's one way of making the Case 53 situation worse.
Yog said:
if Tony does start his own team, who would be on it? That's a question, and a good one. Taylor is almost certain (especially if/when Sophia comes into play). Other than that... Hm, I can see him getting at least some of the New Wave (Brandish for her lawyer skills if nothing else) and maybe Uber and Leet too (hey, those guys are funny, even if they are idiots and villains).

He very well could (though I think he'll be interested in biological computers Dragon is experimenting with at that point too).

One point however, is that Dragon, in terms of algorithms, is far more advanced than Jarvis. Tony would probably be interested in that.

Isn't this one of the reasons Tony keeps the chest reactor?
No, I don't think there was a totally good explanation other than Tony Stark freaking out and letting other people mess with his heart and wound.

arthurh3535 said:
"It's okay to let a non-parahuman super-power in charge. We're only biased against people with a thing in their brains!" That's one way of making the Case 53 situation worse.
This depends on how P.R. spins it, I think. I mean, both Tagg (SP?) and Piggot are badasses who were parts of Parahuman Responce Teams (PRT). They led and participated in combat against parahumans. Where do you place the distinction? Tony's only talent in that he's smart. He doesn't have "unfair" advantages. I mean, if he can't be a PRT director because he designed a power armor, does it mean that they should ban anyone with engineering degree from being a PRT director? Both decisions are a slippery slope. Both would ultimately depend on how much they need Tony and how much they want him in charge of anything (and how much he wants to be in charge).

Yog said:
This depends on how P.R. spins it, I think. I mean, both Tagg (SP?) and Piggot are badasses who were parts of Parahuman Responce Teams (PRT). They led and participated in combat against parahumans. Where do you place the distinction? Tony's only talent in that he's smart. He doesn't have "unfair" advantages. I mean, if he can't be a PRT director because he designed a power armor, does it mean that they should ban anyone with engineering degree from being a PRT director? Both decisions are a slippery slope. Both would ultimately depend on how much they need Tony and how much they want him in charge of anything (and how much he wants to be in charge).
Problem is he's 'known' to be a cape with power armor. Even if he doesn't have a super-power, he still sorta is. And Tony doesn't want to be a PRT leader, so they can quietly ignore the problem without setting a bad precedent.

arthurh3535 said:
And Tony doesn't want to be a PRT leader, so they can quietly ignore the problem without setting a bad precedent.
Which is, ultimately, all that matters. Though he could be an inspiration to normal people. "If you study well enough, you too will be able to become a cape!".

Ehn said:
Oh for the love of Luna, Taylor did mouth to mouth with Tony to save him right? I can see that tidbit making his way into the conversation and having Taylor so embarrassed she second triggers on the spot :D
If Imp hasn't got her "Don't Notice Me" power yet, Taylor is so taking that :D

Incidentally, since Tony is "cape" without being a parahuman, capable of producing highly advanced technology, will he be classified as a Tinker 0? That's what Saint is/was classified, after all.

Gore17 said:
Incidentally, since Tony is "cape" without being a parahuman, capable of producing highly advanced technology, will he be classified as a Tinker 0? That's what Saint is/was classified, after all.
I vote that all of Tony's stats get a star next to them and a footnote that reads, 'WTF? Alien earth-Gimel bullshit magic. Also, watch for actual trigger event.'

BadHabits said:
Except that it isn't actually magic. It is (within the setting) hard science which can be observed, understood, and replicated.
Oh, for the love of....

It is outright called magic by the Asgardians. Yes, it can be scientifically observed, understood and replicated. It is still magic, as that's what it's actually called.

If it helps, the word magic is descended from the name for a priesthood, which was later linked to the reading of stars. The term and it's descendants then became linked to more and more things, including certain knowledge.

Kalaong said:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. - Barry Gehm

Any sufficiently well-understood magic is indistinguishable from technology. - SF Fen

Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it. - Florence Ambrose
"Magic is just insufficiently analyzed science" - Agatha Heterodyne

Tavi said:
Can we not have this discussion again? It went precisely nowhere last time.
Sorry for starting it off.
Kalaong said:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. - Barry Gehm

Any sufficiently well-understood magic is indistinguishable from technology. - SF Fen

Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it. - Florence Ambrose
But for what it's worth, my vote is with Florence.

Gore17 said:
Oh, for the love of....

It is outright called magic by the Asgardians. Yes, it can be scientifically observed, understood and replicated. It is still magic, as that's what it's actually called.

If it helps, the word magic is descended from the name for a priesthood, which was later linked to the reading of stars. The term and it's descendants then became linked to more and more things, including certain knowledge.
That's, uh, a misquote.

Thor stated that what Asgard had is what human called magic and now call science. To them it is one and the same.
Thor quote from movie said:
THOR: Your ancestors called it magic...
...but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same.

My point is that "magic", with regards to the Asgardians, is the English name they use for the basics of their technology and certain learned abilities/powers. Saying "it's not magic, because it can be scientifically analysed" is incorrect, because that's the name/word they use for it.

Aka: when it comes to the Asgardian stuff, magic really is the correct term when referring to it.

Gore17 said:
My point is that "magic", with regards to the Asgardians, is the English name they use for the basics of their technology and certain learned abilities/powers. Saying "it's not magic, because it can be scientifically analysed" is incorrect, because that's the name/word they use for it.

Aka: when it comes to the Asgardian stuff, magic really is the correct term when referring to it.
How is this in any way relevant to Iron Man tech; thought up by and created by a regular, albeit very intelligent, man who is in no way a parahuman? And who uses different methods than the Asgardians to create these devices?

I'm just going to leave it that in Marvel the line between Magic and Cosmic power is dang gray and wide. When you have cosmic powers that can change the laws of physics... it might as well be magic. Some of Quasar's stuff was right out there.

I miss Quasar...

The Unicorn said:
I got that was the point he intended to make. My point is that X being called a master of y does not mean that what he does is y. Especially not given that we're working through a translation and as Thor said humans CALL what Asgards do magic.

By that same logic Quantom physics isn't a science because it "violate the rules that govern every other facet of science." I could also make a case for other sciences although granted not as easily.
Selonianth said:
... Except it IS magic. It really is. He doesn't have some kind of device up his ass that lets him throw around holograms, or energy balls, or anything else he can do. His little armor trick in Avengers? That's magic too. You can't even claim it's part of his physiology because it isn't. He's a Jotun, those kinds of tricks and abilities are not in their repitoire.

Oh and Cap's shield is part magic. It's one of only a couple items in the entire Marvelverse that is unbreakable except by haxor abilities.
Let's not do this here? We just recently had this debate in the different thread. It led to nothing, pretty much. We should either abandon it, or make a separate thread for it (and not here, but rather in space battles general debate forum, I believe). Because to me it seems like you are operating using very different meanings of the word "magic" and are talking past one another.
Selonianth said:
No it can't actually, because Quantum physics doesn't break the rules, it just bends them. And considering that I'm pretty sure it made the rules too, I'm not even sure It can do THAT much.
Nope. Quantum physics outright breaks the rules of classic physics. Starting from how electrons don't fall into the nuclei (which they would have if they were classical). Or how an electron can tunnel through a barrier. The probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics also outright violates the core principles of classical mechanics. And then you have wave-particle dualism. You seem to have the strange notion of what "the rules" are, but I'm not getting into that discussion again.

Back