Falling Iron (IM MCU/WORM)

Iron Man's first patrol

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"I thought that the Wards and transferring to Arcadia was going to put them behind me," Taylor said in a venomous tone.

"Cry me a river, Hebert. I thought you might have some backbone. But bug control? What can you do?" Sophia said with a sneer in her voice.

First impression: Why the hell did this not blow up more than it did? SoD is wavering on that, a bit. Piggot being an oblivious bitch, however, is par for the course, and about what I expected.

First impression: Why the hell did this not blow up more than it did? SoD is wavering on that, a bit. Piggot being an oblivious bitch, however, is par for the course, and about what I expected.
Would you start a fight in front of all of the Protectorate, Piggot and all of the other Wards?
I see a very persistent lice infestation in Sophia's future at the very least.
Nah, because Taylor knows that Sophia will try (and probably successfully) get that blamed on her.

A separate comment on the chapter: when Tony commented about arm mounted repulsers, there is a possible use from the second movie though not used since then where against very powerful enemies he could "cross the streams" and get a similar effect to when the Ghostbusters' proton packs "cross the streams". If Tony was still in making as lethal weapons as possible, he could have later easily made some kind of reality warheads where that effect could have been used intentionally.

Maybe Tony could arrange for Taylor to be able to make various cyborg bugs for use (basically remote controlled robots). The heavy combat ones might resemble the main character from Yar's Revenge game:http://s278.photobucket.com/user/cdwmusic/media/yarsrevenge_09.jpg.html Others could be far smaller (for stealth). Maybe even use bug brains for making various equipment that could emulate those from the movie Runaway.

A separate comment on the chapter: when Tony commented about arm mounted repulsers, there is a possible use from the second movie though not used since then where against very powerful enemies he could "cross the streams" and get a similar effect to when the Ghostbusters' proton packs "cross the streams". If Tony was still in making as lethal weapons as possible, he could have later easily made some kind of reality warheads where that effect could have been used intentionally.

Maybe Tony could arrange for Taylor to be able to make various cyborg bugs for use (basically remote controlled robots). The heavy combat ones might resemble the main character from Yar's Revenge game:http://s278.photobucket.com/user/cdwmusic/media/yarsrevenge_09.jpg.html Others could be far smaller (for stealth). Maybe even use bug brains for making various equipment that could emulate those from the movie Runaway.
He will want to see how her powers work first. The most he is going to do is a light (for him) armor.

That's pretty much exactly what I was aiming for, just you know, with more Tony style snark to get across to the person he thinks they are an idiot.

Though I agree, I was probably being too subtle to really capture the true essence that is Tony Stark interacting with somebody he thinks is an idiot. :) See the congressional briefings at the start of the second Iron Man movie for what he'd really be like.
Nah, you weren't being too subtle, I was just too quick to reply after only skimming your post. :oops:
Would you start a fight in front of all of the Protectorate, Piggot and all of the other Wards?
Taylor might not fight but she would sure as hell let everyone know exactly what Sophia did. Taylor and Sophia's behaviors are far too underwhelming. Taylor is discovering that the person that caused her to trigger has been a Ward the whole time, and Sophia is discovering that her probation violation's are doubtlessly going to come to light in the worst way and she couldn't possibly hide them at this point.
Nah, because Taylor knows that Sophia will try (and probably successfully) get that blamed on her.
Not only do I disagree with this but Taylor would not nearly be rational enough at the moment to wait in any way.

Sorry, but my SoD has been thoroughly taken out back and shot. There is no way a revelation like this could have any sort of "understanding" or go quietly just because the Wards and Tony are there. Canon Taylor was willing to go to the Birdcage over working with Sophia in the Wards. Whether she would have gone through with that is irrelevant since that is an example of the kind of headspace she was in after learning about this. You're doing a great disservice to Taylor by brushing over just how badly the bullying and trigger event affected her.

Last edited:
Nah, you weren't being too subtle, I was just too quick to reply after only skimming your post. :oops:
Taylor might not fight but she would sure as hell let everyone know exactly what Sophia did. Taylor and Sophia's behaviors are far too underwhelming. Taylor is discovering that the person that caused her to trigger has been a Ward the whole time, and Sophia is discovering that her probation violation's are doubtlessly going to come to light in the worst way and she couldn't possibly hide them at this point.

Not only do I disagree with this but Taylor would not nearly be rational enough at the moment to wait in any way.

Sorry, but my SoD has been thoroughly taken out back and shot. There is no way a revelation like this could have any sort of "understanding" or go quietly just because the Wards and Tony are there. Canon Taylor was willing to go to the Birdcage over working with Sophia in the Wards. Whether she would have gone through with that is irrelevant since that is an example of the kind of headspace she was in after learning about this. You're doing a great disservice to Taylor by brushing over just how badly the bullying and trigger event affected her.
WoG wildbow said that piggot would have said deal with it despite the locker.

If someone tortured and humiliated me for a year and a half, then locked me in a metal box filled with bio-hazardous waste for long enough to trigger (twice, though Taylor doesn't exactly know that), then got off scot-free, only to continue their campaign of torture afterwards (with no end in sight); yes. I would start that fight. Especially as Taylor is smart enough to extrapolate exactly why the school/hospital/police basically ignored the horrible attack on her person. As she said, "I thought that the Wards and transferring to Arcadia was going to put them behind me."

Getting away from Sophia and the others was her entire end goal; finding out that not only did she not escape, but just signed a contract that forces close proximity... the situation getting exacerbated by Piggy being Piggy would just put the turd-flavored icing on the shitcake. If I were in Taylor's position, I would flip my shit and kick Sophia's ass, no matter what the bureaucrat wanted. Especially if the bureaucrat started barking at me about 'tough nuggets, you get to deal'.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've never understood that WoG. At the very minimum, the locker is aggravated assault, aka a parole violation. "Suck it up" only applies when it isn't criminal activity. Piggot's a bitch and a bigot, but she isn't an idiot.

Yeah, I've never understood that WoG. At the very minimum, the locker is aggravated assault, aka a parole violation. "Suck it up" only applies when it isn't criminal activity. Piggot's a bitch and a bigot, but she isn't an idiot.
Yes, but you are equating that an alleged aggravated assault with her being put into prison. There's other things that Piggot can do before losing a potential cape to fight the gangs.

piggot "knows" that all supers are like that anyway, so she just tries to co-opt their insanity. basically she feels that all supers are like this, they're just more careful.

You've got two parts marked as part IV, with the index link going to the second, just so you know. (All the subsequent part numbers are off by one, in other words.) I happened to notice that the one directly after pt. III didn't have the same start as when I closed the tab to go to what was linked as pt. IV, but if someone missed that they'd think you skipped over the Dragonslayers' attack to when the survivor woke up in custody. It's a fjun story, I'm glad you've come back to it.

Last edited:
You've got two parts marked as part IV, with the index link going to the second, just so you know. (All the subsequent part numbers are off by one, in other words.) I happened to notice that the one directly after pt. III didn't have the same start as when I closed the tab to go to what was linked as pt. IV, but if someone missed that they'd think you skipped over the Dragonslayers' attack to when the survivor woke up in custody. It's a fjun story, I'm glad you've come back to it.
The second linked one should be the more up to date.

What Piggot would do is irrelevant. What Taylor would do is flip her shit.

Your claim of that being WoG also lacks context, since what Wildbow said specifically has to do with how difficult it is to kick a Ward out from a bureaucratic and PR perspective. That doesn't mean PIggot would brush over things or not throw the book at Sophia for both violating her probation and being everything she hates about parahumans.

Taylor wanted to be a hero to escape the hell created by her bullying. To find out she is walking right back into it in an even greater capacity than before would be horrible. And I mean contemplate suicide type horrible assuming she couldn't run for the hills for whatever reason.
Yes, but you are equating that an alleged aggravated assault with her being put into prison. There's other things that Piggot can do before losing a potential cape to fight the gangs.
Alleged is underselling what happened. That Taylor trigger from the experience makes it quite a bit more than what people try to imply when they use the term "alleged" in that context. Every non-Cauldron parahuman in that room knows what serious business trigger events are. They're going to be on Taylor's side by default. Not only that but Tony is conveniently there to blow the lid on that whole bit of corruption.

Besides, why the hell would Tony be so dismissive of Taylor if he knew what was going on? This is someone who has seen some shit and has PTSD.

Either way, what happened in this scene is impossible. Taylor does not have the self-control or desire to calmly handle a reveal like that.

Last edited:
The second linked one should be the more up to date.
No, the second one, with the link, comes after it. The unlinked one is the attack on Tony's lab, the linked one is when whatsername wakes up in custody after the attack.

ah I see. I've seen some interesting fics where weaver joins the wards and suicides. the fallout is glourious. plus the whole 'the world is fucked deal'
I both do and don't want to see this. Link?

If Taylor attack Sophia right now, she loses. All she will end up doing is getting herself thrown into prison, just like she feared if she ever sicced her insects on the trio.

Taylor is dealing with it... for now. That is not to say the entire situation is resolved. Piggot is going to be researching things closer.

That is not to say that afterwards that Sophia is going to prison. That is only a possibility (and a small one, because the PRT is desperate for capes that can fight villains.)

"I control bugs. It doesn't sound that cool, but I can do an awful lot," Taylor explained.

Nice chapter, but this doesn't sound like Taylor. Even assuming in this AU she's not suffering from depression (which seems very odd) and is confident enough to assert herself like this (which I agree makes sense) "can do an awful lot" doesn't sound like Taylor. maybe something like "you'd be surprised at how much I can do with it".

"Is there a problem, ladies?" Piggot asked.
"I thought that the Wards and transferring to Arcadia was going to put them behind me," Taylor said in a venomous tone.

"Cry me a river, Hebert. I thought you might have some backbone. But bug control? What can you do?" Sophia said with a sneer in her voice.

The hum in the background grew louder as clouds of insects flooded into the room from several vents.

"Do you really want me to show you?" Taylor hissed out as she made the swarm swirl above Sophia.

"That is enough. Chrysalis, remove these insect from the building. You two might hate each other's guts, but that is not going to stop you from being on this team. Consider it practice for life when you get a job as an adult and you have to work with that bastard that sits next to you. Do you two understand?" Piggot snapped out.

"Yes, ma'am," Sophia said insolently.

"Yes," Taylor replied, looking as if she had bitten something very nasty.

This was very believable up until the last line here. Either Taylor believes Piggot knows about all of Sophia's attacks and is condoning them - in which case there's no way she'd accept Piggot's criticism, or she'd realize Piggot doesn't know anything what Sophia did in which case she'd tell scream what Sophia did.

Not saying Taylor would be unwilling to work with the Wards, or possibly even Sophia once she'd calmed down - especially if there's some indication the PRT/Protectorate is not simply paying lip service to caring about Taylor being hurt but will actually try and punish Sophia. However at this point with Taylor surprised and tempers running high Taylor backing down and agreeing to stick with the Wards doesn't make sense.

"That's a huge range. And I bet you that Vista can help with that, couldn't you?" Tony turned to the younger girl.
"Um, maybe?" Missy said as she studied the older man.

"Sure. Oh, damn. No hologram controls here. Note to self, make sure to install some later," Tony said.

"We have whiteboards," Chris said helpfully.

"I guess."

A couple of minutes later Tony had a diagram sketched out. "Now Vista's power doesn't let her stretch space that's inhabited, but the skies the limit. So make sure to arc your bent space tubes through the air and I bet you could extend Taylor's range."
Nice scene, although I'm pretty sure in canon Vista bent matter not space. If she could bend space like you have her doing here she should be a high level blaster in addition to her shaker powers.

"Next week. Director Piggot said you aren't to visit me there and 'Crysalis' won't have her debut for several weeks," Taylor explained. "I've got to work on my grades more. But I can do that."
Why souldn't Tony visit the school? After the visit to Winslow and them sitting and eating lunch in the Cafeteria (and presumably half the school snapping pics and posting them on the web) any attempt to keep "Taylor Hebert is Tony Stark's personal assistant" secret would be futile, especially as they used real names in filling out the documents for that.
Additionally that would make keeping the fact that Taylor's a cape secret much easier.

If Taylor attack Sophia right now, she loses. All she will end up doing is getting herself thrown into prison, just like she feared if she ever sicced her insects on the trio.
I agree with that, but I would believe her saying, "No, fuck this, I'm out. Any team with Sophia Hess on it is a team I'm not joining," and head straight out the door before what you've got here.

ETA: And more likely a screaming fit of what Sophia's done to her, as others have noted, yes.

Also, it seems the chapter linked as IV is also linked as VI, somehow, to clear up that bugaboo.

Last edited:

Taylor is dealing with it... for now. That is not to say the entire situation is resolved. Piggot is going to be researching things closer.

That is not to say that afterwards that Sophia is going to prison. That is only a possibility (and a small one, because the PRT is desperate for capes that can fight villains.)
First of all, you seem to be under the impression that Taylor would be able to act rationally in that situation. That is unlikely.

Secondly, I never suggested Taylor attack Sophia. I said she should be screaming, either literally or metaphorically, about her situation and the shit she has been through because of Sophia. That the bully that caused her to trigger is a Ward is inconceivable but explains why nothing was done.

There is no "dealing with it". if you think that you don't understand the character you're writing. This is someone that would sooner go to the Birdcage that work with Sophia.

Let me drag up that quote:
Worm 8.7 said:
And when I did think about it? No. Not with Sophia there. No way, no how. If I stepped on her turf, I suspected one of us would kill the other. Besides, there wasn't one thing about joining the Wards that was even remotely redeeming.

"No?" he sounded surprised.

"Just… no. I'd sooner go to the Birdcage." I was surprised that I actually meant it. My contempt for the heroes was growing. Armsmaster had refused to cooperate with me on any level. Glory Girl and Panacea hadn't done anything to earn my respect when I ran into them. Topping it off, they had a personality like Sophia's on their team? I couldn't even imagine joining them, now.
I agree with that, but I would believe her saying, "No, fuck this, I'm out. Any team with Sophia Hess on it is a team I'm not joining," and head stargith out the door.
This.

Last edited:

A fight? No, not unless I completely lost my temper. A screaming match with Piggot, starting with "DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE DID???!!?!!!" You bet. The fact that this is actually the best time to have this sort of thing would be secondary to the emotional overload forcing that rant.

Which is quite believable. it's even believable for Taylor to, eventually accept and calm down. Her reaction in this story however is not believable.

And once Taylor sees she's willing to do some of those to Sophia her calming down and agreeing to work with Sophia makes sense.

Last edited:
piggot "knows" that all supers are like that anyway, so she just tries to co-opt their insanity. basically she feels that all supers are like this, they're just more careful.
Well if we consider population demographics, Africa, China, Russia, Mexico then about 80 or so percent of parahumans are villains or worse.

In america is 3 to 1

Back