Slow is relative. Mass Effect FTL is about 15 lightyears per day for a fast ship (30 for Reapers). For comparison, a Star Trek ship at Warp 9 is a bit better than 4 light years per day.
Which scale are you using? The Warp Factor scale changes practically every series afterall. Hell even the UNSC pre-war ships which travel at around 2.4 light years a day were faster than Star Trek TOS at Warp 9 which was 1.9 light years a day

Short author multi-response before I head to bed because... uh, shut up, that's why.

I look forward to your inevitable panic.:D
*EEEEEEEEEEK~~~!!! intensifies*
Wait for it...

Slow is relative. Mass Effect FTL is about 15 lightyears per day for a fast ship (30 for Reapers). For comparison, a Star Trek ship at Warp 9 is a bit better than 4 light years per day.
Yes, slow is relative. And relative to Faith's Phase FTL drive, which turns of pesky little things like inertia and allows for literally endless acceleration (and therefore a maximum speed of 'yes'), 15 lightyears a day is slow.

...well then, I guess the Fleet/Humanity Storytime Corner is real after all.

I guess that's still kinky, if you're a bibliophile.
Faith probably: Dealing! Goddamn you autocorrupt.
Since I shamelessly ripped that Codex Entry straight from Fusou... her fault, not mine. :p

Hey Faith? What's a "medial bay"? 'Cause it's a blank for me, unless you meant "medical bay"...

(Start of paragraph 5, if you need a more specific location.)
Thank you, fix'd.

It is, as has been noted, happening. This story will shortly and briefly converge with Fusou's, so fair warning - if you follow both, things might get a little samey for a chapter or two.

73 - Problems
Yay! It's happening!

"Citadel control, this is the FFV Jacob Keyes, requesting permission to dock."
Nooo, It's NOT happening yet! We've been teased!~ I can't wait to see more though. This will be fun~!

Or is that !FUN!? :V

I know Faith will just say-
-... Yes exactly that.

Since I shamelessly ripped that Codex Entry straight from Fusou... her fault, not mine. :p
She still hasn't used my typo corrections! *sniff*

in the same vain as the Starsong's crew
vain to vein

But as Star Trek ships don't have to discharge, they may actually be faster over a long enough trip. Kind of like a Cessna(with extra fuel pods) vs a F1 race-car. Sure, the F1 is actually faster, but it's limited to specific roads(paths between stars close enough), and has to stop for maintenance a lot more. The Cessna can just fly directly towards the destination in most cases, helping to make up for the slower top speed.

Last edited:
74 - Entrance
74 - Entrance
"Hold please, Jacob Keyes," the Citadel controller said, in strangely accented English. Probably an Asari. Or a Frenchie. Hard to say.

"Hold?" Hope hissed under her breath. "What is this, a phone call with tech support?"

Hope looked at me and I shrugged. "I was looking through the records, seeing how everyone else was filling in their forms, you know, and all of the Human ships that have come by listed their port of origin as Singapore Station."

"Which means that there's another database out there we need to hack for this to really work, if they bother chasing up our records at all," Hope surmised.

"Yeah. I edited both the Citadel's records and their copy of the latest set of records from Singapore, so if they only do a casual check it's fine. On the other hand, if they actually do call Singapore, then we might be in trouble."

"Weren't we pretty much screwed anyway? Someone around here either visited the Halo universe or came up with suspiciously similar technology in a very suspicious manner with very suspicious timing… or it's a crossover fic."

"Ugh, I hate Halo slash Mass Effect crossovers."

The discussion quickly veered into a two-person tirade against the absolute clusterfuck of usual tropes found in those crossovers. The fact that Hope was an almost exact clone of me and neither of us had read any ME/Halo crossovers the other hadn't made it a rather stagnant discussion, but still.

If nothing else, it was an interesting view into how the handful of hours of separation had so drastically created differences between us.

Halfway through mouthing off about the fact that the good fics never seemed to finish, I took a break to complain about the fact we still hadn't been given permission to dock.

"God, this is taking forever."

"It's been, like, three minutes," Hope said with an idle shrug.

"Same difference. Maybe you were right, we should have gone to Omega."

Before the two of us could resume our lamentations, though, the Citadel operator's voice returned at last.

"FFV Jacob Keyes, you're cleared to land. Standby, we're putting you on to an Alliance operator now."

---

The Alliance operator, a much more chipper individual with a strong Australian accent, was incredibly helpful in guiding us to docking bay apparently located right next door to the Alliance Embassy - which was a pretty big tip-off that they hadn't bought my faked documents.

On the other hand, the Destiny Ascension hadn't moved to put a mass accelerator round through the ship's spine, so I counted that as a good thing. It meant that people wanted to talk. Or, at the very least, ask us some very pointed questions. I could work with that.

The Jacob Keyes drifted easily into the docking bay, the microthrusters dotting the hull easily countering the ship's momentum as it came to rest, one of the airlocks less than three metres from the Citadel's extendable docking ramp. Thing.

Hope and I made our way down from the bridge as quickly as possible without cheating with teleporters, which meant that by the time we got to the airlock in question, the Citadel's docking tunnel had already clamped onto the side of the ship. The two of us made our way down the tunnel and towards the Citadel proper.

The bottom of the ramp actually lead to a small lobby room slash airlock, if the rows of benches and the equally numerous air vents were anything to go by. As we stepped in, the door behind us closed, and a number of lights began flashing incessantly. A synthetic female voice - Avira? Avila? Something like that, - politely informed us that a decontamination cycle was in progress.

Personally I'd thought that rather obvious but hey, I guess not everyone was a super advanced Progenitor AI.

Opposite of the door through which we entered was another door, and according to the holographic sign over the locking mechanism, it lead to the security checkpoint. As the decontamination process ended, the light flickered from red to green, and the two of us stepped forward.

"God, I hate airport security," Hope grouched, as if I hadn't already known that fact.

"Bright side, there shouldn't be much of a queue," I pointed out.

Said security checkpoint was actually a small corridor lined with tinted glass on one side, through which the silhouettes of three people were visible.

A tinny voice came over the loudspeaker. "Hold it there, please. Security scan."

Hope and I shared a look before shrugging. They weren't exactly going to figure out anything they shouldn't have already guessed from our faked records.

A grid of blue light filled the room, sweeping back and forth, and it must have determined we were harmless because no alarms sounded as the light passed us by.

And then the far door of the security checkpoint slid open and one of the prettiest girls I'd ever seen stepped forward.

She was about my height - short, in other words, - with glossy raven-black hair flowing down her back. She wore a short Japanese dress of some kind, although I didn't know enough about Asian culture to specify it. And her eyes… the most brilliant red. Damned pretty.

Of course, I wasn't so distracted by her good looks that I didn't notice the Progenitor-grade processors crammed inside the metallic alloys that made up her slightly-too-perfect skull, nor the telltale barely-perceptible energy output of a very, very small resource core, barely large enough to even safely operate.

Oh, wow. I know we were expecting issues, but, uh. Not this fast.

"If the two of you will please accompany me, I believe there's a great deal we need to speak about," she asked politely, with a sweet smile.

Well, how could I say no to a pretty face like that?

Shouldn't we be more concerned about the fact that she's either a Commander or stole the technology of one?

I nodded silently, gesturing for the pretty stranger to lead the way.

Yes. Which is why we're not saying no. If we can see her...

Right. She can probably see us.

Almost immediately she turned and walked away, Hope and I hesitating for only a second before following. She lead us through the rest of the docking facility at a somewhat hurried pace, but by no means fast enough to distract me from noticing a number of heavily-armed and heavily-armoured Alliance marines scattered throughout the area.

After a short walk, we arrived at a set of doors conveniently labeled 'Systems Alliance Embassy', which slid open as we approached. The woman lead us through the embassy's empty halls and into a large chamber dominated by a shining white sphere of metal. As we entered, a large section of the sphere moved outwards and slid aside, revealing the interior of the room, the door reachable thanks to a grated metal walkway that clanked beneath our boots as we crossed.

Inside the sphere, smooth white walls surrounded the only other objects present - a circular table and six surrounding chairs, each black as night. The stranger walked to the far side and took a seat before gesturing for us to do the same - sharing a glance, we complied.

Trap?

Probably? Relax, though. What's the worst that could happen?

Well, for starters…

Behind us, the grated walkway withdrew into the far wall and the door slid shut, sliding neatly into place with barely the slightest hint of noise. A series of clicks indicated a number of locks activating, totally sealing the room.

And then something happened, and the CommandNet connection dropped completely.

Yeah, that.

*Hops off the edge of his seat and hobbles around to get the blood back into his legs*
I waited for it, and it is good.

And then the far door of the security checkpoint slid open and one of the prettiest girls I'd ever seen stepped forward.

She was about my height - short, in other words, - with glossy raven-black hair flowing down her back. She wore a short Japanese dress of some kind, although I didn't know enough about Asian culture to specify it. And her eyes… the most brilliant red. Damned pretty.
I SHIP IT.

ah the one primary weakness of a commander.
ANOTHER commander who has had a long time to entrench themselves.

You know, the fastest way to cause disruption and havoc and distrust is to *attempt*(At Commander levels of bullshit, you can't trust any trap you have made to actually be fully effective.) to disarm someone before even attempting communication.

Seriously, the best choice now, would be for the slipspace field to disable and THEN she starts talking. No one here has ever taken any lessons in diplomacy at all, have they?

<*Idiot Ball has been Engaged*>

You know, the fastest way to cause disruption and havoc and distrust is to *attempt*(At Commander levels of bullshit, you can't trust any trap you have made to actually be fully effective.) to disarm someone before even attempting communication.

Seriously, the best choice now, would be for the slipspace field to disable and THEN she starts talking. No one here has ever taken any lessons in diplomacy at all, have they?

<*Idiot Ball has been Engaged*>
Most of the Commanders have used diplomacy of having the bigger stick. Problem now is that they don't know anything else even though the opponent has just a big of a stick.

I tried to find a good "shipping intensifies" image for this, but there's just a dearth of options for this.
And then something happened, and the CommandNet connection dropped completely.
Wait, were you running your consciousness on the avatars?

I cannot recall, but does Fusou have resource network access while in Slipspace? If not, this is actually a fairly decent equalization play, simultaneously disarming both parties to rough parity.

Obviously, Fusou has the home-ground advantage and may have brought resource generation or storage with her, but if you look at it as it is things are remarkably equal.

Wait, were you running your consciousness on the avatars?

It'd be funny if they weren't, and the avatars just slump lifelessly to the ground.

Woops. :p

Another entertaining contingency would be if redundant personality backups activated, followed by the 'new' commanders starting up the war engine.

I cannot recall, but does Fusou have resource network access while in Slipspace? If not, this is actually a fairly decent equalization play, simultaneously disarming both parties to rough parity.

Obviously, Fusou has the home-ground advantage and may have brought resource generation or storage with her, but if you look at it as it is things are remarkably equal.
She does, since, well, she panic built a lot of units in slipspace.

I think it's less a case of Faith and Hope have completely lost the command network, and more they don't know how to adjust for the distortion caused by slipspace...

Currently, there's no practical difference as I doubt their Avatars have the processing ability to figure out how to deal with the distortion in a useful time frame... but if it happens again they might have solved the problem already.

I think it's less a case of Faith and Hope have completely lost the command network, and more they don't know how to adjust for the distortion caused by slipspace...

Currently, there's no practical difference as I doubt their Avatars have the processing ability to figure out how to deal with the distortion in a useful time frame... but if it happens again they might have solved the problem already.
Fusou has full access to resources in slip space because she's routing her signals through the Notre Dame. Faith and Hope in comparison, have no way of sending/receiving signals into and out of slipspace.

Granted, the whole point behind the total isolation is security. Nothing barring slipspace bullshit gets in or out, and the only reason Fusou has a connection at all is because the bubble isn't 100% tight, instead leaving just enough of an opening in slipspace for her signal to reach the Notre Dame, if she shut the bubble completely, it would essentially be like the Onyx Dyson sphere and there would be no connection to anything outside the sphere.

Fusou has full access to resources in slip space because she's routing her signals through the Notre Dame. Faith and Hope in comparison, have no way of sending/receiving signals into and out of slipspace.

Granted, the whole point behind the total isolation is security. Nothing barring slipspace bullshit gets in or out, and the only reason Fusou has a connection at all is because the bubble isn't 100% tight, instead leaving just enough of an opening in slipspace for her signal to reach the Notre Dame, if she shut the bubble completely, it would essentially be like the Onyx Dyson sphere and there would be no connection to anything outside the sphere.
Wonder how she expects to talk to them then. I expect a deactivation if the slipspace thing soon. That or some great work on Faith's part.

Is it just me, or is this a wonderful way to start hostilities?

Let's say there was a faction of commanders watching from the sidelines. They go 'Hmm, let's try to talk first'. Send in two forks to talk, they get led around a bit, send back a 'that's probably a trap but let's try anyway', and then both are just gone.

At this point, I suspect most factions would have gone 'oh well, we tried', and started moving fleets into position for war, because talking seems to have failed. Mind you, it might not actually have failed, but the appearance of 'no interest in talking' and 'shoots first, asks never' is more than enough to start actual hostilities before things are cleared up.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is this a wonderful way to start hostilities?

Let's say there was a faction of commanders watching from the sidelines. They go 'Hmm, let's try to talk first'. Send in two forks to talk, they get led around a bit, send back a 'that's probably a trap but let's try anyway', and then both are just gone.

At this point, I suspect most factions would have gone 'oh well, we tried', and started moving fleets into position for war, because talking seems to have failed. Mind you, it might not actually have failed, but the appearance of 'no interest in talking' and 'shoots first, asks never' is more than enough to start actual hostilities before things are cleared up.

Exactly my point from earlier!

That isn't how you start communications, or diplomacy. That is nothing less than an act of war really, Fusou is rather foolish.

You don't say "I have no current intentions of hurting you, I want to start talking instead actually." by taking the other person sword/gun away first.

Back