Not the most elegant way of making shields useless against missiles, but it works.
Until you mod the game for six or more Shield Layers, anyway.

Then you get a missile that collides with shields and only pops a single bubble, which is so fucking satisfying.

Almost as much as having four Mark 2 Defense Drones.

Missiles? What's that?

Seriously, MK2 Defense Drones are absolutely amazing. They'll shoot down asteroids, flak, boarding bots, laser bolts, and missiles.

Best of all, they reload in 0.88 seconds.

Captain's Edition is even better, since they'll shoot Ion Bolts and hacking units in it.

There is literally nothing more satisfying than watching four MK2 Defense Drones utterly cockblock the Flagship's Superweapon.

Until you mod the game for six or more Shield Layers, anyway.

Then you get a missile that collides with shields and only pops a single bubble, which is so fucking satisfying.
Hence me saying "not the most elegant way". A smarter, but likely harder to implement method would be to have Shield Bypass that outright ignores shields in addition to Shield Piercing that ignores X shield layers and damages layers beyond that.

But that's from a gameplay mechanics standpoint. For a in-universe explanation... Yeah, Faith (the author, not the character) is going to have to get creative. I mean, FTL shields make perfect sense when the excuse is "game balance", but as soon as you ask why an engineer would design something that stops some weapons but not others that work the same way...

well, you could always explain it as being that FTL is set in one of those 'flux periods' where a (relatively) new, game-changing technology (either the shields or some Unobtainium/Handwavium bullshit for projectiles) and the older, now-obsolete tech is still in play, sorta like the very few Honor Harrington books that are non-terrible or world war II. or you could just handwave it as Shields being some kind of exotic energy field that has mass/speed limits as to what it can block (usually, "really big and really slow" tend to be the way to go) or have it like Star Trek or Star Wars where the anti-kinetic shields and the anti-energy shields are actually distinct systems, and the antikinetic ones are just shitty for some reason (likely, 'because nobody's thrown enough money at it yet,' given typical military development programs) and the Zoltan shields are just better.

or perhaps they're energy hogs and thus work more like Robotech's Pinpoint Barrier System in that they only cover small areas at a time, and whatever's doing the activating can't compensate for certain weapon types?

As I stated already, I went with the shield disruptor units - which only work on missiles and hacking because, wouldn't you know, it's a lot easier to install a tangible, physical object to another tangible, physical object than it is to attach it to an energy bolt/beam.

As for Mind Control and Teleporters - mind control is too exotic for shields to block and teleporters (as I stated before) bypass the shields with either a: extradimensional fuckery (bypassing the shields by going into a different dimension) or simply by being broken down, beamed across, the beam not being blocked because it's 'not harmful' and then the teleported cargo/crew being reconstructed inside the ship.

The fact that there's an augment to heal people on teleports indicates it's the second, unless the fourth dimension includes healing powers, but I doubt that, so for the purposes of FiSF, I'm going with StarTrek style 'cut matter from here, paste matter here' teleports.

That just leaves the question of the Zoltan shield, which is immune to shield disruptors and the matter teleporter beam (and mind control). The first two could be explained as it being a more 'solid' shield, blocking EVERYTHING as opposed to SOME things. Depending on how mind control works, that too could be justified as being blocked by the Zoltan shield, which is just in general fairly bullshit (and relies on the exotic energy produced by FTL jumps to recharge).

I've pretty much made my decisions on the way the tech works for the FTL setting, just need to actually show it in story. And then munchkin it to hell and back, because nothing says Brutally Efficient Self Replicating Mechanism of War than an invulnerable, faster-than-light starbomber that teleports nanite bombs that turn the target area into more nanites that turn the surrounding area into more nanites that turn the surrounding area into empty space and use the materials to build sentry guns. Which also shoot rockets, that dispense nanites...

That just leaves the question of the Zoltan shield, which is immune to shield disruptors and the matter teleporter beam (and mind control). The first two could be explained as it being a more 'solid' shield, blocking EVERYTHING as opposed to SOME things. Depending on how mind control works, that too could be justified as being blocked by the Zoltan shield, which is just in general fairly bullshit (and relies on the exotic energy produced by FTL jumps to recharge).
As a note, there's a system you can get that makes mind control and teleports (including bombs) to go through Super Shields, called the Zoltan Shield Bypass. But that doesn't make anything you said work less well...

As a note, there's a system you can get that makes mind control and teleports (including bombs) to go through Super Shields, called the Zoltan Shield Bypass. But that doesn't make anything you said work less well...
Oh yeah, that is in the Advanced Editiion.

Along with those drones that occasionally produce Super Shield Layers.

Forgot about those.

Nothing quite so fun as four Shield Drones producing a Super Shield layer every... like, seven or so seconds.

Another thing in the Advanced Edition worthy of interest is the Lanius. Good ol' metalbending anaerobics.

Last edited:
The main (meta) reason that was added was because events in the original version could have things like boarders suddenly teleport onboard when you jumped in, even if you had a Zoltan Shield. The event dialog would mention that it "somehow got though your Zoltan Shield". With Advanced Edition, those lines are changed to say that a Zolton Shield Bypass was used.
Oh yeah, that is in the Advanced Editiion.

Along with those drones that occasionally produce Super Shield Layers.

Forgot about those.

Nothing quite so fun as four Shield Drones producing a Super Shield layer every... like, seven or so seconds.

Another thing in the Advanced Edition worthy of interest is the Lanius. Good ol' metalbending anaerobics.
...Oh, I'm going to have "fun" when I play Advanced Edition, I just know it...

The main (meta) reason that was added was because events in the original version could have things like boarders suddenly teleport onboard when you jumped in, even if you had a Zoltan Shield. The event dialog would mention that it "somehow got though your Zoltan Shield". With Advanced Edition, those lines are changed to say that a Zolton Shield Bypass was used.

...Oh, I'm going to have "fun" when I play Advanced Edition, I just know it...

Also, clone bay. That is, the enemy boarders constantly respawn if you kill them without taking out the clone bay first. If they have a teleporter, they can constantly beam onto your ship, fight to the death, and about 12 seconds later they'll step out of the clone bay at full health ready to beam back on board. This drops to 9 seconds or 7 seconds if they upgraded it. Same goes if you try killing off their crew by spreading fires or suffocating them.

Great story, Faith. I'm sad that it took me so long for me to start reading it.

30 - Scouting
Hey, I have a new Avatar! Yay! *confetti*

Also, my side project, A Light In The Dark, just updated, so if you like Worm you should go and check that out. It's only just starting and the update rate is 'once in a blue moon', and I'm basically using it to experiment with more styles of writing, so it's probably terrible, but you know, whatever.

30 - Scouting

Genisys' fighter was quickly approached by two Federation bombers, and I quickly hailed them, explaining the situation.

"What do you mean, you captured his ship?"

"Exactly what I said. His ship is under my command. Look, I'm going to do a barrel roll."

As I'd said, Genisys's fighter pulled off a barrel roll - an actual one, not an aileron roll, for I am not an ill-informed plebian, - and drifted to a stop approximately a hundred meters from the Federation craft.

"Right. Well, if you could go ahead and fly the damn thing into our station's hangar, then, we'd appreciate that."

"Certainly."

My Rider followed behind Genisys' fighter, the Fed bombers alongside, as the fighter spun around and backed into the station's hangar. As soon as it entered, dozens of ion weapons mounted on the ceiling of the hangar opened fire, washing the ship in ionic stunner blasts. The ship's flawed systems overloaded and failed, the lights flickering and speakers emitting ear-piercing screeches. The cameras were pretty much the only thing not effected, giving me a view of the ship's interior. The four pirates staggered around the individual rooms in which they were now locked, grasping at their heads. After about ten seconds, the ion fire stopped.

Probably not the nicest way the Federation could have disabled them, but it was effective, I guess.

It was followed up with a squad of Federation soldiers teleporting on board, spreading through the ship, armoured up and rifles raised. They smashed doors aside as they reached them, quickly finding and restraining the four dazed crew members, brutally incapacitating them with stun batons and heavy shoulder-checks. To the point that it was probably a little excessive.

But then, they were pirates...

"Alright, then, bounty hunter," the Federation station commander said over the comms. "We've got confirmation that all four are here. Dock with that station, bay sixteen, and we'll give you your bounty pay."

Ah. Since I lacked any sort of human or humanoid body, and the ship lacked an interior, that would be an... awkward situation. I quickly spoke to head off that idea.

"Actually, I think I can go without, but thank you for your gracious offer."

I cut off the communications and launched the Rider away from the military station, towards a large ring-shaped habitat covered in docking bays and flashing advertisements. The main attraction of this system, if you could call it that. A large orbital habitat, shipyard, and store, all in one. From the looks of things, most of the visible ships were the same clean, slightly curved designs I mentally associated with FTL-verse humanity - the sort of ships that Federation, Rebel, and Pirate forces used. They all looked like relatively old models, but then I wasn't an aerospace engineer so maybe I was wrong.

There were a couple of odd ones out - a twisted heap of metal, looking more like the remains of a construction site crumpled up into a ball. Engi ship - much larger than the kind flown in game. Assuming, of course, that it was in fact a ship, and not the station's dedicated dumping ground for scrap metal.

The second odd ship was a sharp, angular, almost knife-like silver vessel with glowing blue lines. It was sleek, and covered in strange ornamentations. If I didn't know better, I almost could have attributed it to the Forerunners. Instead, I merely wondered why there was a Lanius craft in human space. They were, in game, only found in the Abandoned Sectors.

Of course, it would be foolish to assume that this world ran on the same rules as the world presented in game - of course, of the billions, no, likely trillions of sentient beings, at least some of each race had to have thrown aside their 'hats' and done something different.

And in a way, both of those ships made sense. The Engi were, at least according to the game, all master mechanics. A crew of Engi looking for jobs would have no trouble at a mining base slash shipyard. And the Lanius - well, they were kind of strange, but they had their whole metal-bending thing going on, or something, so they were probably of some use as well. Or, they may just have been passing through, stopping for supplies. Hard to know, and I didn't really care.

I wasn't here to make friends, after all.

My sensors reached out, locating and connecting to the station's various systems, including their internet equivalent. I was able to rip a map of the galaxy, as well as more detailed maps of the local areas, from the network without much hassle, but beyond there, things got... complicated.

The main resource in FTL was scrap, because for galaxy spanning civilisations, a fixed currency was almost worthless. Even looking at earth - Canada and the United States couldn't agree on how much 'one dollar' was worth, and they were neighbours. Far easier to simply trade goods for goods. Which meant that I couldn't just hack the systems and buy a bunch of stuff through digital transactions. I needed to trade for it in person - a problem I'd already run into once today. Or steal the blueprints - but that too was difficult, because it wasn't like these guys were nice enough to have a readily accessible database full of blueprints for all their interesting technology.

No, if I wanted their toys, I needed to physically scan the things with nanobots. And I got the feeling that building a robot to go wandering around the stores spraying products with nanobots would not go down well. Which really only left me with one choice, at least for now. Doing the same thing I'd done to Genisys, effectively. Flying around, looking for targets, omnomnoming their cool stuff, and flying away, possibly taking them to prison as well depending on who they were.

But first, seeing as how I was looking over a feast for mynocks, I decided to take a look around. Taking samples, almost. Like a vampire searching for their next meal.

A giant, mechanical, deathbot space vampire.

Yes.

The station didn't appear to have any kind of docking rules - people seemed to be just flying around until they found an empty bay and then docking. No one had hailed me yet to inform me otherwise, so I just kept cruising, circling the station, keeping my myriad sensors scanning.

Whilst I could probably find several technologies, such as the medical nanomachines (which Genisys had been lacking) on almost any of the ships, I chose to check out the more exotic ships first. They were... more likely to have interesting stuff, and if I remembered right, there was an Engi-exclusive augment for medical nanobots spreading through the entire ship - of course, that may have just been a gameplay mechanic, but it was still worth a shot.

I passed over the twisted hunk of junk, a fine dusting of nanobots slipping from the Fabricator and landing lightly on the ship's hull before moving inside.

The Lanius ship was further around, so I moved on to that whilst the assimilation of the Engi ship begun. Soon, it too was crawling with nanobots, detailed blueprints updating by the femtosecond as the tiny robots mapped the vessels.

Compared to Genisys' rather modest and weak ship, both of these ships were seriously advanced. I looked through them one at a time.

The Engi ship was armed, to my pleasure, with two Ion weapons. Direct-fire EMPs, effectively. A non-lethal option with better range than the Fabricator assimilation method. They would be nice to have. I made copies of their blueprints. Their ship was also home to a medical room, and the dedicated systems within were quickly infiltrated, their designs saved.

There were also a couple of drones in one of the ship's cargo bays, revealed to me by the ship's newly-compromised cameras. Seconds later, I was admiring the new drone blueprints as I saved them to my database. There were a few other systems - the hacking system being the main one of note, but as I was currently proving, I hardly needed it. I took it anyway. As well as everything else. Not like my database was even close to 1% full, after all.

In contrast to the lightly armed Engi ship, the Lanius ship was clearly built for battle. It had two laser cannons and a flak cannon, as well as a rocket launcher - all of which I stole, despite the relatively unimpressive technology. Could be useful later, you never know.

It was also packing a highly sophisticated sensor array - far more advanced than that of the Engi ship, good enough that I considered it worth adding to my arsenal. Another thing to add to the Rider's auto-upgrade queue. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else of value.

Asides from a clone bay, all of the remaining items on my wishlist were more... exotic. I wasn't likely to find them at some shitty mining colony.

No, I'd be better served hunting down and assimilating other ships for the things I wanted. Luckily, according to the maps I'd stolen - I mean, acquired, - there were both Zoltan and Slug areas nearby. Zoltan would be good for shields, possibly medical and power generation tech - although I doubted they could break thermodynamics like my existing stuff did. The Slugs, meanwhile, would likely have such fun toys as mind control and beam weapons.

The real question was, which one did I want to go to first?

Kidding. Both of them.

Last edited:
Huh, shouldn't the Lanius have had a clone bay? Those come standard in their ships. Also, kinda surprised she didn't try to copy the Engi physiology for a contact drone. With her econ tech and fabricators on her ships she has essentially infinite scrap forever.

Huh, shouldn't the Lanius have had a clone bay? Those come standard in their ships. Also, kinda surprised she didn't try to copy the Engi physiology for a contact drone. With her econ tech and fabricators on her ships she has essentially infinite scrap forever.

I was wondering the same thing. it shouldn't be beyond you to build yourself an Engi body. In-person contact problems solved!

It's not that Commander!Faith can't build a body to talk to people with - literally changing the outer shell of the Avatar droids, ditching the guns, and sticking a giant green LED on the front would be enough to make it look Engi.

The problem is more that none of her Riders have any sort of interior. If she was willing to make a Pioneer, she could use that but lose out on massive amounts of functionality, with the trade-off being the option to barter with vendors.

On the other hand, realistically, what is a mining station in the ass-end of nowhere going to actually have that's useful? Not enough for Commander!Faith to bother. Yet.

The Lanius ship doesn't have a clone bay because ~reasons~. This particular vessel was equipped with a medical bay instead. Why? ~Reasons~ is why.
Actually it's because I rolled a fifty on a d100 so I decided to only get half the tech I had lined up - the clone bay didn't make the list. Other things that didn't make it were the teleporter and the Glaive Beam. It would have been too easy if Commander!Faith had gotten them straight up.

31 - Split
Double post but OH WELL

Be warned, I am tired and this chapter has not undergone the same rigorous mediocre bare-bones beta readings of indeterminate quality that my other chapters so far have, so expect mistakes and stuff.

31 - Split
Multitasking was an... interesting experience. True multitasking, that is.

I'd done multitasking before, to a degree, on Loek III, but it hadn't been real multitasking. I'd cheated by giving the first set of units five seconds worth of orders, then swapping to the second group and giving them five seconds of orders, and so on and so on, before looping back to the first set of units and giving them more orders. It worked to a degree, but had the downside of me only reacting to problems when I cycled through to the set of units that were having difficulty. It was almost like having dozens of tabs open in a web browser - I could have them all open and doing stuff, but I could only look at one at a time, and I could only flick through them so quickly.

Thanks to Progenitor hypertech, though, that was hardly the limit of my mental partitioning.

Indeed, the incredibly advanced AI core that functioned as my brain was fully capable of running literally billions of things at once. Low end. If I ramped it up...

I'm not very good at maths, but I know enough to say that if I pushed the AI core to the absolute maximum, I could be running an absolutely ridiculous and arbitrarily large number of streams of consciousness at once. Enough to be directly managing every single unit in a planet-sized swarm of nano-bots, and have threads left over.

Have I mentioned that Progenitors are bullshit?

I wasn't going to jump to such extremes just yet, though. That seemed like a good way to cause undue amounts of panic and confusion.

Instead, I simply spun up a second stream of consciousness. It was disorienting, at first, and that was with both threads 'looking' at my Commander body. Then I split the threads apart, connecting to Rider 06 with one and Rider 11 with the other.

Two separate ships. Two separate viewpoints. Two entirely separate and distinct streams of consciousness. Controlled by one mind.

Just this level of multitasking was screwing with me. It was... like seeing different images in each eye, but being able to react to each image as if you were seeing it, and thinking about it, with your full brainpower. And yet still being capable of seeing what was going on with the other eye. It was giving me a headache just thinking about how to explain it.

Although I'm not entirely sure why a hypertech AI would be capable of suffering headaches. Seems like a little bit of a flaw in the Progenitor's design. Unless, of course, it was in fact working as intended. Which had its own implications. Not that I was really fussed either way.

I had my two ships spool up their FTL Drives, jumping into the black towards their individual targets.

Rider 06 was on its way to a Zoltan science outpost nestled deep in the no-man's-land between the Zoltan territories and the Human territories. I had to wonder why - it wasn't close enough to either side to receive reinforcements in any timely manner, should they be necessary, nor were there any kind of interesting anomalies or anything that might be worth studying.

I guess it could have been some kind of bio-weapon facility - it would explain the isolation. And the Zoltan were energy beings - immune to biological infections. If it didn't completely go against their generally diplomatic ideals, I could almost have believed it. Rogue base, maybe?

Rider 11 emerged from FTL in the midst of a great expanse of space dust. The nebula was rampant with all kinds of interference, which dampened the FTL-verse sensors I'd recently installed. The Progenitor tech, on the other hand, seemed totally unaffected. They easily picked out the vast rounded constructs that marked the Slug star-city. A number of smaller contacts drifted around - the Slug ships going about their business.

Also known as my latest targets.

Rider 06 arrived at its destination, dropping out of the FTL bubble just a hundred and fifty thousand kilometres from the station. Almost immediately, two Zoltan vessels disengaged from the station and rocketed towards my ship, armoured panels sliding back and weapons unfolding.

Taking no chances, I see. Not really an issue for me. I doubted they had the firepower to punch through. I, on the other hand, didn't need firepower. My nanobots - well, actually, I wasn't sure how they'd react to the Zoltan shield. If they didn't pass through, then I'd have to open fire. I doubted they'd be able to shrug off much firepower from me. Based on what I'd seen, the Progenitors vastly out-gunned them.

Rider 11, on the other hand, was not approached at all. I guess the Slugs weren't too worried about one little ship.

The two Zoltan vessels didn't bother hailing, simply firing away with laser weapons and some kind of energy beams. Hard to tell from such a distance, but they looked like Glaive Beams.

I wanted it. Only because I didn't have one yet.

The newly installed shields soaked up the incoming fire harmlessly, and I didn't even bother trying to dodge. The volleys of gunfire burst harmlessly against the energy field. The Fabricator mounted on the ship's nose fired, a spray of green aimed at the larger of the two ships - a bomber of some kind, if my memories of the game were right.

It swept to one side, just a little slow to dodge the whole attack. Not that it mattered - the Zoltan shield proved totally capable of blocking the nanobots. Not much of an issue. I'd just need to pop their shields. Luckily, the turret mounts on the Rider meant I could do that without having to turn around.

The two ships, as I'd suspected, didn't stand a chance against the Progenitor weaponry. Just three shots was enough to shred the Bomber's Zoltan shield, and weaken the shield beneath. The smaller ship, the fighter, suffered much the same way.

They curved off, flying round to one side in a wide loop. Rider 06 turned to meet them, preparing another load for the Fabricator. This time, they wouldn't have the Zoltan shields to save them.

Rider 11 drifted close to the Slug station. As with the Federation mining facility, it seemed to rely entirely on first-come, first-served hangar bay occupancy. Again, I had the scout craft circle the station, lightly dusting every ship in range with nanobots. All their technology would be mine, one way or the other.

The two Zoltan ships were very quickly assimilated by the nanobots without their super shield to protect them, and soon I was looking at their internal systems with an almost childish glee.

Supershields - the first thing on my list of things to get. The bomber possessed two Glaive Beams, which I also quickly copied. There weren't any other systems of note, unfortunately, beyond the standard fare. Engine, shields, medical bay, sensors.

The fighter, somewhat surprisingly, seemed better equipped. I mean, its weapons weren't as powerful, it had a smaller reactor, and the shield generator was barely functional - it seemed to rely entirely on its super shield for defence.

Most notably, though, it had a Clone Bay.

Unlike the medical bay, of which I'd seen and copied several variants, the Clone Bay didn't repair existing wounds. Instead, it simply saved scans of the crew's brain and then, in the event of their death, grew them a clone, complete with perfectly copied brain and therefore all memories - well, not quite all, but most - accelerated the clone to the age they were at, and then released them.

In somewhere between five and fifteen seconds, if my memory was right.

That had some... serious potential for me. If I could get some cybernetics - well, that opened up whole new world of options.

Well, at least for the possibility of interacting with other people. It'd be better than an Avatar - they were, first and foremost, robotic soldiers, and it showed, despite my alterations to the design.

I decided to take that.

Rider 11 was having somewhat less luck with regards to cool technology. Although I'd infiltrated almost two dozen ships now, most were lowly civilian vessels, barely armed or armoured at all. I'd hoped to find a Teleporter, or a Mind Control unit, or something, but apparently not.

Unfortunately, Rider 11's flight was interrupted by seven heavily armed Slug Cruisers emerging from deep within one of the station's larger hangers, guns out and charged. Obviously I'd done something to piss them off. The lead vessel began to hail me.

At the same time as I was dealing with that, however, I was looking at the various files I'd stolen from the two Zoltan ships.

One of them made mention of the purpose of the station. Apparently I'd missed my guess. It wasn't any kind of bio-weapon station. No, it was something else, something far more painful for me.

Back