Elysian Odyssey (EU4 Quest - Byzantium in the New World)

[X] Expand the presence of the Dynatoi at court.

[X] March north and attack the Lenape forces.

[X] Plan Rotate

We don't have "ever-increasing enemies", we have precisely one hostile native group - the Lenape. We also have a decision this very turn to either eliminate them as a threat by intervening at a critical moment or just nab some more income at the cost of maybe still having to deal with the Lenape in the future.
ok fair point I used enemies when I should have used the term Rivals instead. Still true though.

If we want to be able to spend money on things other than the bare minimum for continued expansion it's not hard either - we'd only need another 85 Silver a turn to be able to sustain setting up some roads or workshops on top of our expansion, which would need 17 annual income over the base 7. That's a grand total of 3-4 monarch projects, which means it'd take approximately two turns max of not throwing all of our extra income into military units before we'd be back in business. Claiming that we'd kill our silver income for up to 20 turns by expanding the court is patently ridiculous because we literally cannot sustain a continuing military buildup for 20 turns - we have a maximum of 18 more Allagia that can be formed (if we include converting militia units we have not yet raised), which means at a continuing rate of 2 units a turn we'd run out of manpower in turn 12 (8 Allagia + 5 Militia + 10 more Allagia out of those milita is 23 units total).
I count our silver income as dead so long as we are below a net of 40 per year AKA where we can sustainably save for a few turns and expect to build a major project. and ya if we build up our military as much as we should over the next bit then yes I do think we will be below 40 per year for awhile.

I am in the camp of Military+ major projects are worth more than a tiny amount of monarch points. Though you are correct that they increase our income more than silver can.

[X] Plan Rotate

[X] Plan Emporoi Court Mk 2
-[X] Expand the presence of the Emporoi at court.
-[X] Expand the Imperial Court (-61 Silver)
-[X] March north and attack the Lenape forces.
-[X] Expand the Militia (10 Silver/-2 Silver) [Repeatable] [0/4]
-[X] The Urbanisation of Ivos: 110 Administrative Points (3->5)
-[X] Expand Tobacco Plantations in Alouion: 220 Diplomatic Points (5->10)
-[X] The Grand Cothon of Ivos (510 Silver)

ok fair point I used enemies when I should have used the term Rivals instead. Still true though.
It is absolutely not true.
While there is still 'unclaimed' land between the Elysian border and the scattered settlements of the Tuscarora, a confederation of three major tribes. While you need to take the reports with a grain of salt, the suggestion that their population may be as high as forty thousand is deeply concerning.
40 thousand people as of 25 years ago. Even with generous growth estimates since then to account for their expansion they cannot possibly have more than 60 thousand people today.

Let's assume, very generously, that about one in 5 Tuscarora (about every other able bodied man) can be shaken loose to go fight without causing issues at home. That's a grand total of 12k natives - an impressive army, but one virtually identical to the 11.5k troops that we have currently.

Less actually, since every current plan involves adding another thousand militia and approximately half of our army is made up of professional soldiers rather than part-time militia.

We need approximately zero further military buildup to be able to match up evenly against the military might of our largest rivals (the Tuscarora/Monongahela). Having a military big enough to be able to decisively beat any one of our rivals or take on multiple smaller groups at once is nice, but it's also not something time critical seeing as how we've never had any tensions with a major rival nor have any smaller groups made alliances or defensive pacts at this time.

So yeah - we can absolutely take some money away from military expansion to grow our economy.

Last edited:

Damnit we need to get in on the Caribbean action before the Portugese snatch up all the best bits, hopefully the trade boosters will keep them happy mostly coming to us for now and we can reinvest the profits into expansion.

han 60 thousand people today.

Let's assume, very generously, that about one in 5 Tuscarora (about every other able bodied man) can be shaken loose to go fight without causing issues at home. That's a grand total of 12k natives - an impressive army, but one virtually identical to the 11.5k troops that we have currently.

Less actually, since every current plan involves adding another thousand militia and approximately half of our army is made up of professional soldiers rather than part-time militia.

We need approximately zero further military buildup to be able to match up evenly against the military might of our largest rivals (the Tuscarora/Monongahela). Having a military big enough to be able to decisively beat any one of our rivals or take on multiple smaller groups at once is nice, but it's also not something time critical seeing as how we've never had any tensions with a major rival nor have any smaller groups made alliances or defensive pacts at this time.

So yeah - we can absolutely take some money away from military expansion to grow our economy.
oh I agree individually neither of our rivals are more than a moderate threat barring them gaining a tactical genius (which while possible is unlikely) but that is mostly thanks to our tech advantage.

No my real worry is our rivals banding together.

Also you forget that the Potawatomi by themselves (though they did use to be 2 separate groups) fielded well over 7,000 troops against us a few decades ago.

If they can do that then the other nations that are far larger than them can probably field larger armies than that.

EDIT: yes they were not professional troops and the other nations probs can't do more than 6-7,000 professional troops as well. But sometimes numbers are all that matter and I am sure that some of the surrounding nations can field at least 15,000 troops in a pinch all things considered. Also your not including the population of the lesser tribes they subjugated to their rule in the people to our south.

Last edited:
Damnit we need to get in on the Caribbean action before the Portugese snatch up all the best bits, hopefully the trade boosters will keep them happy mostly coming to us for now and we can reinvest the profits into expansion.
I think it would be very hard to hold the Caribbean. We could do a little flag-planting, sure, but if England or France or Morocco or Mali shows up with a war fleet and wants our clay, we're probably better off defending the continent than the Caribbean.

I think it would be very hard to hold the Caribbean. We could do a little flag-planting, sure, but if England or France or Morocco or Mali shows up with a war fleet and wants our clay, we're probably better off defending the continent than the Caribbean.
agreed the only island that we could possibly hold is Cuba. and that only thanks to its size and proximity to Florida.

[X] Plan Rotate

I don't want to expand the court just yet

[X] Expand the presence of the Dynatoi at court
[X] March north and attack the Lenape forces
[X] Expand the Imperial Court (-61 Silver)
[X] Plan Rotate

baby steps towards parlamentary monarchie and giving power to the people

If we keep offending the Dynatoi, it won't be power to the people, but instead power away from the Palaiologoi.

oh I agree individually neither of our rivals are more than a moderate threat barring them gaining a tactical genius (which while possible is unlikely) but that is mostly thanks to our tech advantage.

No my real worry is our rivals banding together.

Also you forget that the Potawatomi by themselves (though they did use to be 2 separate groups) fielded well over 7,000 troops against us a few decades ago.

If they can do that then the other nations that are far larger than them can probably field larger armies than that.

EDIT: yes they were not professional troops and the other nations probs can't do more than 6-7,000 professional troops as well. But sometimes numbers are all that matter and I am sure that some of the surrounding nations can field at least 15,000 troops in a pinch all things considered. Also your not including the population of the lesser tribes they subjugated to their rule in the people to our south.
The thought of having multiple rivals band together to defeat you is an age-old question for nations. Historically, attempting to build up a strong enough military to fight them all off at once has proven much, much less successful then presenting reasons for rivals not to band together or gaining allies of your own - which are usually done by displaying growth and prosperity and not seeming like a massive threat by building up enormous armies.

And no, I'm not forgetting anything. Groups like the Lenape or the Potawatomi have been estimated at roughly half the size of that of the Tuscarora - the Potawatomi having been able to field slightly more than half the troops the Tuscarora might be able to makes intuitive sense. My estimate does take those subjugated peoples into account - I specifically mentioned shifting the population estimate up to account for said expansion.

One of the nearby tribes is about to get attacked and one of the others is on the way to being converted and we had peace with most of the rest since we landed here.

There are also military tech we can adopt now we have established ourselves like building a cannon foundry. Cannons were used in at least one failed attack on Constantinople prior to the start date of the quest and the natives has never faced cannons before so even one or two can reduce the palisade protecting one of their towns in a war.
There are also other advances of this time like the use of water mills for paper making or the blast furnace improving metalworking that we might not have taken on the ship but can import from Europe.
The natives will have a much harder time importing and adopting these advances so i expect us to have a more modern army even before the rise of gunpowder weapons.

[ ] Plan Emporoi Court Mk 2
-[ ] Expand the presence of the Emporoi at court.
-[ ] Expand the Imperial Court (-61 Silver)
-[ ] March north and attack the Lenape forces.
-[ ] Expand the Militia (10 Silver/-2 Silver) [Repeatable] [0/4]
-[ ] The Urbanisation of Ivos: 110 Administrative Points (3->5)
-[ ] Expand Tobacco Plantations in Alouion: 220 Diplomatic Points (5->10)
-[ ] The Grand Cothon of Ivos (510 Silver)

I'd already thought we delayed the Court expansion for too long several turns ago. This turn proves that. Even one or two extra monarch points per turn is extremely valuable, even on GOOD leaders, let alone bad ones, like the one we got now. Even in actual EU4, every single Monarch point you can get makes a HUGE difference.

Whenever its possible to do so without immediate retaliation, a wise ruler always grants power to the weak and takes it from the strong.
The only circumstances where you give power to the strong is if you could not survive refusing.

Concentrating power is risky long term and cannot be walked back.

One of the nearby tribes is about to get attacked and one of the others is on the way to being converted and we had peace with most of the rest since we landed here.

There are also military tech we can adopt now we have established ourselves like building a cannon foundry. Cannons were used in at least one failed attack on Constantinople prior to the start date of the quest and the natives has never faced cannons before so even one or two can reduce the palisade protecting one of their towns in a war.
There are also other advances of this time like the use of water mills for paper making or the blast furnace improving metalworking that we might not have taken on the ship but can import from Europe.
The natives will have a much harder time importing and adopting these advances so i expect us to have a more modern army even before the rise of gunpowder weapons.
We are definitely more modern there is no question about that.
The thought of having multiple rivals band together to defeat you is an age-old question for nations. Historically, attempting to build up a strong enough military to fight them all off at once has proven much, much less successful then presenting reasons for rivals not to band together or gaining allies of your own - which are usually done by displaying growth and prosperity and not seeming like a massive threat by building up enormous armies.

And no, I'm not forgetting anything. Groups like the Lenape or the Potawatomi have been estimated at roughly half the size of that of the Tuscarora - the Potawatomi having been able to field slightly more than half the troops the Tuscarora might be able to makes intuitive sense. My estimate does take those subjugated peoples into account - I specifically mentioned shifting the population estimate up to account for said expansion.
Displaying growth and prosperity seems more like it would inspire envy and desire to pillage it all to me....... at least unless you have a military capable of defending it.

Displaying growth and prosperity seems more like it would inspire envy and desire to pillage it all to me....... at least unless you have a military capable of defending it.

Which we do as is. At that point you just have to make it more costly to attack than Trade. We are far past that point when it comes to our neighbors, and can keep that up with minimal military expansion. We won't even need that much more to repel the Eurps when they come knocking either, as they can only realistically throw so much at us without letting their Home rivals fuck them.

I say we give more influence to the nobles we have ignored them in the past also I feel we should just attack the lenape settlements and take there whole territory now instead of just taking it piecemeal.

I agree with this. But for another reason. In the long run, we'll definitely screw over the nobles. Give them something that isn't so important now..

[X] Plan Rotate

Just noticed, we are already about 1/3 the size of the original thirteen colonies.
Maybe a bit smaller. How densely populated are we right now?

Last edited:
Back