To make people actually remember, here's it once for posterity: Minako is nonbinary and uses they/them. This message will be pinned so you people stop getting it wrong and pissing me off. If you get it wrong in the future I'm going to be much less nice, considering you have to scroll past it just to read the quest.

Moid can I just test a feel out a write in?
[ ] Just hang out. Yesterday was . . . and they've probably got a lot of questions anyway. Better work through whats on Mina's metaphorical plate before adding more.

Her answer was "Don't fucking think about it."
That's not an answer of a person confident in the topic they can explain without their conversant curling into a foetal ball of despair and suffering
What it says to me is that they've determined—probably accurately—that most magi are only harmed by learning the witchbomb, so if they can prevent someone from learning it, that's a good thing. It makes a fair amount of sense for them to tell Takane to avoid thinking about it.

The difference with Minako is that they probably can't be prevented from finding out in the near future, and if they don't find out from their parents first, they'll probably find out either from Kyubey (as a deliberate tactic to emotionally destabilize them) or from their power showing it to them directly in an extremely visceral and traumatic way.

[X] Hunt. They should have a trial by fire, but with you as a safety net.

Look, this is gonna sound callous, but really, we need to do this soonest.

Mina is gonna get into a fight with a Witch, a Magical Girl at the bottom of a grief spiral, and they're an Empath. There's a binary (not 50/50 chance mind you) outcome here: either they can handle it or they can't, and if they can't, they absolutely need to know now, so they can run away.

Last edited:
What it says to me is that they've determined—probably accurately—that most magi are only harmed by learning the witchbomb, so if they can prevent someone from learning it, that's a good thing. It makes a fair amount of sense for them to tell Takane to avoid thinking about it.

The difference with Minako is that they probably can't be prevented from finding out in the near future, and if they don't find out from their parents first, they'll probably find out either from Kyubey (as a deliberate tactic to emotionally destabilize them) or from their power showing it to them directly in an extremely visceral and traumatic way.

Alriiiiiight. How can you prevent someone from being Witchbombed long-term?
Let's be real here. You can only remain unaware of it at sufference of QB, and unless you are
1) useful in inducting other people to the system ( Mami )
2) will most likely Witch Out soon anyway ( Sayaka )
3) some sort of weird cultist who will be reassured they will become an eldritch abomination after they die a martyr who will rather die than Witch Out ( Jeanne the tasty Cinnamon Bun )
it doesn't make sense for him to withhold this information a few weeks or months into your Magichood
If there's a trauma ball to throw at you, why wouldn't Kyubey throw it?

Alriiiiiight. How can you prevent someone from being Witchbombed long-term?
Let's be real here. You can only remain unaware of it at sufference of QB, and unless you are
1) useful in inducting other people to the system ( Mami )
2) will most likely Witch Out soon anyway ( Sayaka )
3) some sort of weird cultist who will be reassured they will become an eldritch abomination after they die a martyr who will rather die than Witch Out ( Jeanne the tasty Cinnamon Bun )
it doesn't make sense for him to withhold this information a few weeks or months into your Magichood
If there's a trauma ball to throw at you, why wouldn't Kyubey throw it?

Add "exceptionally skilled combatant" to the list: QB's energy pyramid scheme only gets power when a meguca hands it a filled grief seed, so it needs megucas that kill witches.

[X] Hunt. They should have a trial by fire, but with you as a safety net.

Look, this is gonna sound callous, but really, we need to do this soonest.

Mina is gonna get into a fight with a Witch, a Magical Girl at the bottom of a grief spiral, and she's an Empath. There's a binary (not 50/50 chance mind you) outcome here: either they can handle it or they can't, and if they can't, they absolutely need to know now, so they can run away.

I really don't think we should just throw our resident psyker into the Warp right off the bat.

Add "exceptionally skilled combatant" to the list: QB's energy pyramid scheme only gets power when a meguca hands it a filled grief seed, so it needs megucas that kill witches.

I'm actually not sure about that? Grief Seeds seem like a bonus to him, tbh. Otherwise, why would he let Madoka contract? Who would "collect" her Grief Seed? A seed the size of a skyscraper...

I'm actually not sure about that? Grief Seeds seem like a bonus to him, tbh. Otherwise, why would he let Madoka contract? Who would "collect" her Grief Seed? A seed the size of a skyscraper...

Because it'd automatically fulfill his entire contract? He didn't have to care about the pyramid scheme if he got all of the energy he needed from the entire human race.

But normally most transactions are just another deal and source among many, and thus has to, y'know, not fuck things up.

Also, the thing about infohazards is that they're hard to contain, so releasing them isn't something to do casually.

Because it'd automatically fulfill his entire contract? He didn't have to care about the pyramid scheme if he got all of the energy he needed from the entire human race.

But normally most transactions are just another deal and source among many, and thus has to, y'know, not fuck things up.

I would buy that Kyubey utilizes the seeds so that the humanity won't go extinct before the acceptable margin and uses them in some capacity as a tertiary product/energy source, but they are clearly not his priority.

Strong Megucas need to exist to perpetuate the system, i.e clear the space for the new generation of Witches, but they also need to, you know, Witch Out. For superpowers and shit.

Maybe two years on average is his standard operative protocol. Let the Guca live for a while, then Witchbomb her if she hasn't figured it out already...

[X] Train. Nothing rigorous. Just let them know that they're not alone, and if they're going to be a magi, then they have two of the best magi in japan ready to help them out.

[Q] Minako: Learn to control your power through the most difficult training imaginable.
-[Q] Don't think of a pink elephant.

[X] Train. Nothing rigorous. Just let them know that they're not alone, and if they're going to be a magi, then they have two of the best magi in japan ready to help them out.

Mina needs a mental health day, I should think. Sending them to school is asking for trouble.

If we get ambushed by a Witch next update and BSOD because of our empathy I reserve the right to remind people I called it. xD

[X] Just hang out. Yesterday was . . . and they've probably got a lot of questions anyway. Better work through whats on Mina's metaphorical plate before adding more.

Eh, what the hell.

[X] Just hang out. Yesterday was . . . and they've probably got a lot of questions anyway. Better work through whats on Mina's metaphorical plate before adding more.

Back