Because its the Sucide Squad not Will Smith and his sidekicks.

Will Smith playing Will Smith tends to be the main character of his films and gets all the attention.

Not something you want in a team film.

Yes, and Lee Marvin wasn't an actual member of The Dirty Dozen. He was still the focus character and I dare you to call that a bad film.

Yes, and Lee Marvin wasn't an actual member of The Dirty Dozen. He was still the focus character and I dare you to call that a bad film.

Lee Marvin actually served in the military and won a purple heart. I'm pretty sure he actually knew members of the Filthy Thirteen the movie and book were based on.

Will Smith ain't done none of the suicide squad shit!

I hope Slipknot dies instantly and then every problem they encounter is one that can be solved with some rope.

Also, the people who are hatin' on Will Smith need to really back down. Stallone in Creed was a supporting character who didn't wrap the movie around him. So was DiCaprio in Django. So were Fisher and Ford in motherfucking TFA, and they are the people who created Star Wars in the first place. Huge stars have played secondary roles before, in movies that rocked. We're not in uncharted seas here.

Lee Marvin actually served in the military and won a purple heart. I'm pretty sure he actually knew members of the Filthy Thirteen the movie and book were based on.

This isn't limited to Smith. None of the people in the movie are actual comix characters.

It's harsh to find out like this, but you had to know. Next up: Santa.

That has to be THE single most vapid argument that I have ever heard outside of the Versus Debates forums here and on Spacebattles. And it's easily in the top ten of the arguments I've heard from those places. Congrats on that...

Last edited:
That has to be THE single most vapid argument that I have ever heard outside of the Versus Debates forums here and on Spacebattles. And it's easily in the top ten of the arguments I've heard from those places. Congrats on that...

Ah I see. Dropping into personal attacks because you can't contextual a proper rebuttal, let alone read at a level where you can actually understand my point. I'll simplify it for you!

If you've noticed, the crutch of my argument in this thread is that I don't like Will Smith playing Will Smith, rather then playing his character. Will Smiths action heroes in these types of movies almost always seem interchangeable, rather then being distinct separate characters.

Will Smith is playing Will Smith
Lee Marvin wasn't playing Lee Marvin!

Last edited:
Ah I see. Dropping into personal attacks because you can't contextual a proper rebuttal, let alone read at a level where you can actually understand my point. I'll simplify it for you!

If you've noticed, the crutch of my argument in this thread is that I don't like Will Smith playing Will Smith, rather then playing his character. Will Smiths action heroes in these types of movies almost always seem interchangeable, rather then being distinct separate characters.

Will Smith is playing Will Smith
Lee Marvin wasn't playing Lee Marvin!

Well you know, there's a really simple solution. Don't see the movie. I promise you that no one will care.

Deadshot's character is just gonna be "Will Smith" in everyone's eyes in the future, the same way that Iron Man is now Robert Downey Jr. And like Iron Man, this is probably a good thing.
The movie isn't even out yet, and they've already gotten rid of Floyd Lawton to replace him on Suicide Squad with a new, black Deadshot that vaguely resembles Will Smith. This is, admittedly, a much more coherent attempt at cinergy than Nick Fury having a black son who is also called Nick Fury and has all Nick Fury's skills and who everyone treats as though he were Nick Fury, but I still find it thoroughly amusing.

Because its the Sucide Squad not Will Smith and his sidekicks.

Will Smith playing Will Smith tends to be the main character of his films and gets all the attention.

Not something you want in a team film.
Considering he's the best act there and a lot of fun to watch I don't really see the issue.

Given the purpose of Trailers, I suspect they put the most Will Smith-y moments front and center, to cash in on him.

I...

Uh...

Shit this actually looks kinda good. Like this new trailer's done a lot to warm me up on Harley (even though those stripper heels whyyyyyy), nuJoker (Leto can probably pull him off I think), and the Squad in general. Honestly I don't mind Will Smith being Will Smith? Will Smith is fun.

*Idly clicks replay to watch another thousand times*

Y'know?

DC, hold your horses. You will most likely get my monies when Suicide Squad comes out in cinema, so can't you just wait to see if it's successful before planning for this?:

www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/margot-robbies-harley-quinn-movie-894486

Margot Robbie, who stars as the villainess in Suicide Squad, is attached to reprise the character and would also produce the untitled spinoff, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

But in an interesting twist, the project is not a Quinn solo movie. Rather, it would focus on several of DC's female heroes and villains.

Details are being closely guarded but names such as Batgirl and Birds of Prey have surfaced, although in what capacity, it's not clear. Warner Bros. isn't commenting.
And great. Now I know Harley will not be the one to die.

DC is just begging for failure at this point.
Well if they could look at BvS and say, "eh job well done, let's make a dozen more movies" I don't think you're going to see them fail. Hell it's not just DC either. Most game publishers, book publishers, and movie publishers are all looking to wring a few dozen installments out of any random IP, even totally new untested IP.

Well if they could look at BvS and say, "eh job well done, let's make a dozen more movies" I don't think you're going to see them fail. Hell it's not just DC either. Most game publishers, book publishers, and movie publishers are all looking to wring a few dozen installments out of any random IP, even totally new untested IP.

Oh, I know, but that sort of sequelizing has been going on forever. A coherent and successful shared universe is harder to pull off, I think.

Oh, I know, but that sort of sequelizing has been going on forever. A coherent and successful shared universe is harder to pull off, I think.
Well there's no real evidence DC can't pull off a shared universe. Batman vs Superman was hot garbage, but not because the universe didn't work. Honestly Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman all fighting together on the big screen was almost worth the previous 2 hours of awful.

Civil War has already sold more than BvS in one month, while BvS has been out two. Ha. :rofl:

I AM probably gonna see Suicide Squad, but yeah not looking forward to Smith or Leto, really...

There's a paradox with Batman v Superman: people generally blame Snyder for its problems but praise (most of) the performances, plus the rest of the films aren't directed by him, and even the most negative people say they'd love more Batfleck or Wonder Woman. It failed on its own and I'm kinda wary of the reception Justice League will get, but the side movies are all looking solid.

Superman fell on Doomsday to save humanity, in a movie that fell on the critics to save the DCCU. Now that's meta.

There's a paradox with Batman v Superman: people generally blame Snyder for its problems but praise (most of) the performances, plus the rest of the films aren't directed by him, and even the most negative people say they'd love more Batfleck or Wonder Woman. It failed on its own and I'm kinda wary of the reception Justice League will get, but the side movies are all looking solid.

Superman fell on Doomsday to save humanity, in a movie that fell on the critics to save the DCCU. Now that's meta.
Yeah. I feel that in future generations of film school, BvS will be the movie professors show to explain the importance of tight editing and a tight script, as even good performances can be sucked out by bad pacing.

I'm actually surprised by how little I want to see this movie.

Like, I can't point to any one element of the trailers and say "That thing there killed my interest in this movie". There are even some things in the movie that do make me want to watch it; I like Harley's kinda "quirky" sense of humour, and I do like Will Smith.

But there's just something... I don't know. One-note about it all, maybe.

Like, taking a few minutes off from watching it, all I really remember about it is a bunch of meaningless explosions and destructions, constant repetition of the fact that these characters are villains (I got it the first three times, thanks, DC), and Harley's sense of humour. If you asked me to name two people in the trailer, the only reason I'd be able to do it is because I recently read IGN's Top 100 Supervillains list and Deadshot happened to be on there with a memorable picture, and then I read through this thread and saw he was one of the characters in it. I've already forgotten everyone but him and Harley, and I'm like to forget him in the next half an hour too.

There's a sense of energy to the trailer, but it's just this wild mishmash set to a bunch of ultimately meaningless destruction and half-assed character introductions (he shoots people, he kills people, he burns people, wow, thanks for telling me literally anything meaningful about these characters, DC). I'm still not even sure what the gist of the movie is.

It's a pretty stark contrast to the Deadpool trailer. Deadpool took a similar line, taking a virtually unknown presence and making a big feature movie of him. The trailer started off serious, then get more chaotic and more humourous as it went on. Only, Deadpool took care to get you somewhat invested in it by giving you a brief understanding of who Deadpool is and what he's doing. It also had action you could understand, but that might just be personal taste, I guess. I'm not much a one for just watching some dude unloading thousands of bullets.

I dunno. It's like, I watch this trailer, and I just find myself not invested in it at all. Fuck, I'm more enthused about going to watch X-Men: Apocalypse, and I just rewatched X-Men 3: The Last Stand earlier today.

Back