Yeah, I don't mean to turn this into a debate on marx's writings in general. I was specifically referring to the part where he made some very specific predictions which failed to come true. Doesn't that throw his historiography into question?
To be fair, if we're judging him by his ability to accurately predict the course of future history, we should be judging him against other predictive theories of history, most of which have done as badly or worse.

Whether an analytical toolkit for discussing history can fully predict future events (as opposed to making partial predictions that partially pan out) isn't a fair test. Because we don't have Hari Seldon in our hip pocket to do the analysis for us.

OK, but that doesn't really address the question I was trying to ask in the post you replied to. I'm going to try to phrase the question more directly, something like:

What did Marx invent, in terms of a toolbox of historical analysis?

[pauses, see's GGG's post, looks it over]

Well, "class analysis" is certainly a solid starting point as an answer.

One of the big things that Marx developed was that, rather than focusing on the philosophy or ideals of society, you should look at how that society's economy worked to answer questions about why social and political change happened how and when it did.

If your method of analysis of history looks at the material conditions (resources, labor, machinery, technology) of a society, then it has some point of origin in Marx.

What does this make the reforms of Peter the Great? Or what about the Meiji Reformation? Atatürk's reforms? Would this mean that what Lenin and Stalin did in Russia was a form of German/British colonialism, since Marxism originated from a German and an Englishman? And while Mao was particularly brutal in trying to destroy old Chinese culture, his actions were not without precedent, as many Chinese intellectuals had blamed China's decline on those things that he was trying to destroy during the cultural revolution.

Also to continue from this into a different point, I think that while European colonialism and its destruction of native cultures was terrible, we shouldn't try to imply or say that the cultures destroyed were unspoiled or pure or better then what was left behind after colonialism. Because, honestly, I think that ends up forcing those native cultures to be put on a pedestal that sees them dehumanized in a different way then how the Europeans did. Which is to say, they go from being seen as the cultures of "savages" to the culture of "pure beings" and I think both descriptions are a pretty tough spot for any culture to be put in. It's probably why conversations about the Aztecs can get so intense, as people don't want to say anything that could make the culture look really bad, as a way of trying to not indirectly say something that would make what the Spaniards did be justified. Which is stupid, because no matter how good or evil the Aztecs were (if you apply such terms in a historical context), none of it justifies or makes what the Spanish did not bad. I mean, yes, we should point out that the native cultures were not as "dumb" or "primitive" as what the Europeans described or saw them as, but we shouldn't make them into some perfectly good people all in the name of saying "Europeans were really wrong to colonize these people as they were just as civilized if not more then the colonizers". Because "levels" of "civilization" can never justify colonialism in any way. But, if natives decide they want to adapt things from European culture, of their own free will, then we shouldn't try to stop them in the name of trying to "preserve culture"(because cultures are never static and adopt foreign influences all of the time, although those foreign influences have been forgotten as having been foreign).

Of the examples I know of, I'd say Lenin and Stalin probably qualify, yes. The USSR did a lot to try and destroy the Russian Orthodox Church in accordance with Marxist ideals(or their understanding of them). It was a huge pillar of Russian culture and they did their best to murder and destroy it.

Of course, Lenin and Stalin are different animals. Not so different, though. I found this and figured I'd post it in line with the topic a page or so ago about if Stalin was a fascist:

The emphasis on the Russian cultural matrix leads to a paradoxical effort to stress a discontinuity between Leninism and Stalinism. The argument is that many of Stalin's policies reflected a break with the leftist ideological heritage and led to a rightist-nationalist regime that reconstructed traditional authoritarian patterns and implemented repressive ethnic policies. With that line of thinking, the concept of totalitarianism can encompass both Nazism and Stalinism. The latter can even be interpreted as a variant of fascism; and in that way, the original Marxist-Leninist ideology can be saved from responsibility for totalitarianism. A new falsification of history, by ignoring the Leninist roots of totalitarianism, would serve to cover the failure of the communist utopia revealed with the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
Linz, Totalitarian and Authoritarian Regime

I remember well hearing this line of argument from the folks at WSWS. Lenin and Trotsky ushered in a pure, true Leftist revolution only for Stalin, a selfish reactionary, to come in and ruin everything.

Just thought I'd post that since I'm reading the book now and it struck me as a funny coincidence given the recent talk.

Anyway, of course cultures merge and assimilate all the time. I was criticizing nothing but a brutal dictator trying to destroy a culture and its history in accordance with a foreign ideology. Would it be better if Mao was using a native Chinese ideology as a justification for his actions? No but I think it's still notably different.

Last edited:
OK, but that doesn't really address the question I was trying to ask in the post you replied to. I'm going to try to phrase the question more directly, something like:

Even more than class analysis, historical materialism is the big one. Before Marx, people like Hegel posited that history was driven by ideas, and that found a lot of echos in the halls of power. Marx flipped that on its head by positing that material conditions should be looked at as the starting point. You can't really have class analysis if you haven't made that first step into acknowledging that primacy of the material. Because surely if ideas are the driver, what matters is belief, not socioeconomic situation. Once you acknowledge that the material could drive history, you can look at the conditions that would help change flourish and take root or be discarded rather than keep believing in some weird "will to power" of ideology.

Don't suppose the Marxist stuff could go in a different thread? At least the religious digression was novel but variations of these arguments come up in half a dozen threads consistently.

Rather hear more controversial opinions on areas of history that are likely to prove educational rather than just round ten thousand of the forever war.

One of the big things that Marx developed was that, rather than focusing on the philosophy or ideals of society, you should look at how that society's economy worked to answer questions about why social and political change happened how and when it did.

If your method of analysis of history looks at the material conditions (resources, labor, machinery, technology) of a society, then it has some point of origin in Marx.
As I said, the basic idea is sound, at least as one tool in a toolbox. But I assume other historians disagree on what effects are likely to result from a given set of material conditions?

As I said, the basic idea is sound, at least as one tool in a toolbox. But I assume other historians disagree on what effects are likely to result from a given set of material conditions?

Oh sure? But then so do actually-Marxist Marxist historians. Historians disagree about a lot of stuff all the time from every side. It's kinda our job.

Don't suppose the Marxist stuff could go in a different thread? At least the religious digression was novel but variations of these arguments come up in half a dozen threads consistently.

Rather hear more controversial opinions on areas of history that are likely to prove educational rather than just round ten thousand of the forever war.

I don't know how to tell you, but this is literally a vital historiographic set of ideas and etc we're talking about, so. Yeah.

Huh. In what ways is it used exactly?

Because while the basic idea that material conditions shape society is obviously solid, Marx famously failed pretty hard at determining how they do that.

The basic idea that what happens in society is at least in part determined by the conflict between those who own stuff and those who do stuff is a really useful insight.

Its particularly useful regarding colonialism, which is my area of study.

I think the issue here is that you are supposing that using Marxist style class analysis makes you automatically agree with his conclusions and hypothesis. And like I said, I don't. Mainly because regarding what I've studied there are several points where a strictly Marxist analysis stops making sense.

Inevitably, but that wasn't the question I was trying to ask.

It's like, Isaac Newton was kind of... wrong about everything, in the objective sense of "are these equations and physical models exact matches for the underlying reality?" Everything Newton thought was flat wrong- photons are not tiny cereal box shaped objects spinning end over end through the air, time and space don't work the way he thought, and so on.

And yet Isaac Newton's methodology and the tools he created to derive those equations and models are so critical to modern physics that we'd never have been able to prove him wrong about anything without his own contributions to the discipline.

Yeah, I don't mean to turn this into a debate on marx's writings in general. I was specifically referring to the part where he made some very specific predictions which failed to come true. Doesn't that throw his historiography into question?
I always found it interesting that, as far as I'm aware, Marx expected communism to rise up in industrialized nations in Western Europe, while the general way it's gone is that communism has actually largely developed in very unindustrialized nations. I suppose he didn't predict that the more industrialized nations would be able to stay at least one reform ahead of a genuine revolution. (Or the rise of Fascism providing a reactionary force against communism)

Inevitably, but that wasn't the question I was trying to ask.

It's like, Isaac Newton was kind of... wrong about everything, in the objective sense of "are these equations and physical models exact matches for the underlying reality?" Everything Newton thought was flat wrong- photons are not tiny cereal box shaped objects spinning end over end through the air, time and space don't work the way he thought, and so on.

And yet Isaac Newton's methodology and the tools he created to derive those equations and models are so critical to modern physics that we'd never have been able to prove him wrong about anything without his own contributions to the discipline.
I think Freud is sort-of an example? Like, he was dead wrong about every theory he came up with, but he still got the ball rolling on actually studying psychology.

The way I understand it is that Newton is wrong about how the universe works but right about the way the observable universe works?

Well the equations are mostly fine for what was studied. It is not like they are thrown out and never used anymore. It is not only methodology that is used.

The way I understand it is that Newton is wrong about how the universe works but right about the way the observable universe works?
He was right about the universe he could observe, but not the observable universe. Newtonian equations break down pretty quickly once you leave a human scope or need incredible precision. But they are comprehensible and useful in a day to day sense.

Last edited:
I think Freud is sort-of an example? Like, he was dead wrong about every theory he came up with, but he still got the ball rolling on actually studying psychology.
Ehhh, I'm pretty sure things would have kicked off with someone else if not with Freud.

His theories on gravity are accurate to the limit of precision of the available instruments (with the probable exception of the matter of Mercury's orbit). And his observations on optics, as distinct from his theories, are solid.

The point, though, is that Newton's underlying physical models are factually incorrect, which is unsurprising given what he had to work with. They're still good science given the circumstances, and the methodologies he developed are still in use today.

Well the equations are mostly fine for what was studied. It is not like they are thrown out and never used anymore. It is not only methodology that is used.
I'm aware of that- but then, it's not like Marx's analysis of his own society was garbage to be thrown out, either.

The point is, claiming that a theory makes incorrect predictions, or is an inaccurate description of the world, because [reasons]... That is not the same as claiming that the underlying methodology was flawed.

It's an over-simplification to say Freud was wrong about everything.
blogs.scientificamerican.com

Why We're Still Fighting over Freud

A debate over the relevance of psychoanalysis to brain research highlights science’s lack of progress in understanding the mind
Alberini runs a lab at NYU that explores the neural basis of memory in rodents, and psychoanalysis inspires this empirical work. For example, a fundamental Freudian tenet is that traumatic childhood experiences of which we have no explicit memory can nonetheless influence our behavior. Alberini has published evidence that shocks administered to rats in infancy, before they can form lasting memories, nonetheless have an enduring effect on their behavior.

As the article notes, and as the Cambridge Companion to Freud opens with, Freud bashing has been going on over a century at this point with largely distorted or simplified views of his ideas, or an over-emphasis on what he got wrong. yet we're still talking about him and his theories. We probably will until we have a complete understanding of what "the human mind" even is.

I won't hold my breath.

I know this probably isn't as controversial but I don't think the Catholic Church is one of the most evilest organizations ever nor did it invent misogyny.

To clarify what I mean is that I highly disagree with the whole idea of a singlet matriarchal goddess cult of Europe that the evil Christians destroyed. And then the pagens where totally gender equal. And also they evil Catholic Church burnt any women that was a free thinker as a witch and also anyone that tired to do science, there are generally bad things the church has done. But you can't just say lies about it.

To clarify what I mean is that I highly disagree with the whole idea of a singlet matriarchal goddess cult of Europe that the evil Christians destroyed. And then the pagens where totally gender equal. And also they evil Catholic Church burnt any women that was a free thinker as a witch and also anyone that tired to do science, there are generally bad things the church has done. But you can't just say lies about it.
Uh... to clarify your clarification, it sounds as if you are saying:

"[Group of People] believe that pre-Christian paganism was a unified matriarchal goddess cult, with full gender equality, which was then destroyed by Christians. And that the Roman Catholic Church burnt as witches any woman who was a freethinker and anyone trying to do science."

And you are disagreeing with that.

Which... fine, but I'm not sure that's a very common position, especially that first part... though the Roman Catholic Church demonstrably did burn or threaten to torture quite a few freethinkers and scientists, I have to say. Not literally all, but... too many.

Uh... to clarify your clarification, it sounds as if you are saying:

"[Group of People] believe that pre-Christian paganism was a unified matriarchal goddess cult, with full gender equality, which was then destroyed by Christians. And that the Roman Catholic Church burnt as witches any woman who was a freethinker and anyone trying to do science."

And you are disagreeing with that.

Which... fine, but I'm not sure that's a very common position, especially that first part... though the Roman Catholic Church demonstrably did burn or threaten to torture quite a few freethinkers and scientists, I have to say. Not literally all, but... too many.

Yeah the church did use it's power to destroy and or get rid of its enemies. But it was common political scrabble shit, and they didn't target people because they where "scientists" that concept didn't exist in the Middle Ages. The Catholic Church often encouraged science and study of the classics

The "Great Goddess" cult thing appears to have been invented in the 20th centuries by neopagans who don't do any research. There isn't really any support for it that I'm aware of. There were certainly goddesses in European pantheons who were accorded great respect/fear but the "Great Mother Goddess" appears to be just an attempt at creating a "reversed conservative christianity" religion in the modern age.

To clarify what I mean is that I highly disagree with the whole idea of a singlet matriarchal goddess cult of Europe that the evil Christians destroyed. And then the pagens where totally gender equal.

I... don't think anyone claims that?

There is the Old Europe theory, but it goes that the neolithic, egalitarian, Great Goddess worshipping societies were wiped out by the Indo-Europeans. I.e., basically all the cults we would nowadays describe as "European paganism", that were the patriarchical "bad guys" in that theory who wiped out the Great Mother cults except for some remnants like Kybele.

And of course, it's a fringe theory anyway. It can't be ruled out, but that's exactly the thing: It makes very specific claims about a society of which we have only archaeological remains and hence little indication of their culture. But yeah - it's exactly the pagans-as-we-know-them who destroyed the earlier, egalitarian Mother Goddess cult in that theory.

Last edited:
Scientia has existed since the classical period as a subset of philosophy. Only in the modern day does one separate science from philosophy. Come Again.

My problem with this logic is that you could easily say the exact same thing about the evil things he did. Could another Chinese leader have millions of his people die under his watch? Well, the answer is obviously yes.

Few good things are unique, but that's just as true about most evil things.

I don't think that "another leader we're imagining in our head could do good things too without the bad" is a very useful point to make. I'm not saying this as someone who likes Mao, the deeply harmful ineptitude and anti-intellectualism are pretty unappealing to me, but I don't think this works as an argument.

The thing is... Mao didn't do much good at all.

Like the things he did hurt China's development, retarding it and not promoting it. China mostly benefited when he was sidelined. Every time he had control, he'd actually spend a lot of time wrecking the process of industrial development.
Roman religio should not be included in the same family as the Hellenic religions of Classical Greece. I will do my best to ignore the 35th Marxism discussion. You will have to pry every single word of Marxist discussion from my cold dead hands.

So, how did the romans use the opium of the masses to oppress their proletariat? :D

But, yes, I agree. Hellenism was merely the most prominent religious group the romans syncretized early on so people mistake it for the basis of Rome's religon as opposed to merely another religious structure they folded into their own beliefs. Although I do believe hellenism had a far larger effect on roman beliefs than almost any other religion they conquered.

Explain to me the Great Leap Forward, again? Mao very much liked the peasants but he still held ideas about industrialization that were entirely in keeping with the average Marxist.

He thought you could create an industrial revolution on the farm without having to cater to those dirty city folks. He thought you could substitute the proletariat with the peasant. Which was utterly against a core concept of marxism and sort of stripped away Marx's historic reasoning and the dialectics he relied on for his philosophy.

This is not something even the soviets did, despite Russia being majority peasant. The soviets were actually embarrassed of the peasantry and spent a lot of time trying to crash build a proletariat. Mao was hostile to the proletariat itself.

As an amateur historian I mostly agree, but as a Rome:Imperator player I absolutely despise this premise. :V

Well, I think there are some commonalities and appropriations of concepts by Italiose tribes and later the Roman state that provide a shared cultural ground, which cannot be said, for example, about Phoenician religions or Druidic religions or what have you.

Basically, even if Roman gods perform different roles and have an altogether different aesthetic, they still have recognizably Hellenistic roots.

Actually it's less the roots and more the trunk if you will. The Roman public cult was a syncretic one. Hellenism was folded into existing roman beliefs in the early republic, and associated with the existing roman faith.

Hot Take:This thread has devolved into name calling and has lately been more about the poster's opinion on political ideologies than actual historical opinions as of late.

Some people flip their shit at the word marxism and associate it with an increasing amount of all things bad that happen and deny it could have any good ever at all. So when marxist history comes up, well that must be bad right? It uses the bad word.

Yeah, Marx's historic analysis is such a no brainer that it is hard to realize that 170 years ago, people just didn't have those tools. Marxist history is hardly all encompassing and has its blindspots, especially in examining differences in individual cultures along the same rough class, but it is an important and fundamental tool for any historian.

Ehhh, I'm pretty sure things would have kicked off with someone else if not with Freud.

His theories on gravity are accurate to the limit of precision of the available instruments (with the probable exception of the matter of Mercury's orbit). And his observations on optics, as distinct from his theories, are solid.

The point, though, is that Newton's underlying physical models are factually incorrect, which is unsurprising given what he had to work with. They're still good science given the circumstances, and the methodologies he developed are still in use today.

I'm aware of that- but then, it's not like Marx's analysis of his own society was garbage to be thrown out, either.

The point is, claiming that a theory makes incorrect predictions, or is an inaccurate description of the world, because [reasons]... That is not the same as claiming that the underlying methodology was flawed.

I want to note, Freudian history is another historiographic pillar. Especially for the explanations of myth and ritual in history. In a way that Marx glosses over. To marx ritual and myth are tools of the ruling class to control the ruled. For a freudian read on history, myth is the subconscious reaction of humans to try and explain the unexplained, a projection of the underlying psychology of man on the world (which is why most of the stories of zeus involve him getting freaky with ladies). A search for meaning, not a tool for oppression. And also a way to deal with not being able to fuck your mother.

Fruedian history is less impactful because it's a bit more... uh... hard to get a grasp on the psychology of long dead people. And Freud was just super wrong as a psychologist about a lot of things.

Back