EricD

Coeur d’Acier
History is a controversial field. Of all the humanities, history and its interpretation probably have the most impact on contemporary politics. How we view and interpret the events that led us to where we are in the world today shapes how we view the world today and what course we think we need to take in the future. All of us, naturally, view history through the lens of present conditions and events. As such, how we interpret history is immensely relevant and important. Because it is important, and because it is often politically charged, history as a field is fraught with controversies. You look at things like the Fischer controversy in Germany, the Civil War disputations in the United States, or the aptly named and ongoing "History Wars" in Australia, and you see just how emotionally charged and politically relevant the study of history can be.

As such, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread on SV to discuss these historical controversies.

So SV, what controversial opinions do you hold about history?

Before we start, please keep in mind the board's rules and expectations about debate. Controversial history can become extremely tense when discussing it, so let us try to carry out our conversations in a spirit of learning and inquiry. Feel free to ask people questions about their opinions and to discuss things, but let us avoid personal comments or attacks.

I have a few opinions I have been in vociferous debates over:

A large part of the fault for the First World War lays with Germany, and although the British and French Empires were hardly saint themselves it was for the better for Europe and mankind that Germany was defeated and Britain and France prevailed.

The fault of the Treaty of Versailles lay in its lack of enforcement and in the internal contradictions and conflicts amongst the Allies. It was not too harsh on Germany. It was proportional to the treaty which Germany imposed on France in 1871.

The Roman Principate was a horrific polity, existing solely to dispense patronage to the senatorial class and distribute pay and plunder to the Legions, and was more an imitation of a state than an actual working system of government.

The Battle of Jutland was, in fact, a British victory and a German defeat in spite of the greater British losses. It may have been the decisive battle of the First World War.

The Medieval World was far gentler, far more humane, far more "civilized" than the Roman World.

Christianity didn't corrupt Rome. Rome corrupted Christianity. Christ overthrew Caesar, and then Christ became Caesar.

The Christianization of Europe was, in the long term, for the better but was often executed in wicked, unChristlike ways.

The British and Canadian armies in the Second World War were just as skilled as the German Army, albeit in different ways, and were more than a match in combat for their opponents. Montgomery was a very good general cursed with a very great ego and poor personal diplomacy.

The Romans were not religiously tolerant. They were quite the opposite actually.

Of course my opinions reflect my interests: Fairly Eurocentric and English-speaking, focused on military, religious and political history. I would love to hear some controversial opinions from people more versed in social and economic history and from those whose historical interests focus more on Africa, Asia and indigenous societies throughout the world.

A large part of the fault for the First World War lays with Germany, and although the British and French Empires were hardly saint themselves it was for the better for Europe and mankind that Germany was defeated and Britain and France prevailed.
I've rarely met people thinking otherwise... Then again, I'm in France, and people don't go around like "yeah it's totally our fault".

Christianity didn't corrupt Rome. Rome corrupted Christianity. Christ overthrew Caesar, and then Christ became Caesar.
Uh, that's a nice formulation...

Agincourt was a tragedy and the Romantics were right.

I expect to be run out of the board within the hour.

Agincourt was a tragedy and the Romantics were right.

I expect to be run out of the board within the hour.

Why run you out of the board? I mean if the French had won it would have finished the 100 years war 40 years earlier sparing that part of Europe a couple of generations of tragedy. Sure it was a pretty impressive victory for England but in the end nothing lasting came of it.

Why run you out of the board? I mean if the French had won it would have finished the 100 years war 40 years earlier sparing that part of Europe a couple of generations of tragedy. Sure it was a pretty impressive victory for England but in the end nothing lasting came of it.
Because the Romantics aren't exactly the most popular on this board?

On a different note, John Brown was a hero.

The Medieval World was far gentler, far more humane, far more "civilized" than the Roman World.

The Christianization of Europe was, in the long term, for the better but was often executed in wicked, unChristlike ways.
1. Yes. Fuck yes.
2. I'd have to agree with this too.
3. Here I disagree. Frankly I weep to think of the possibilities that were lost because of Christianity's chokehold over Europe. From the Celts to the Gauls, after the fall of Rome - or in a timeline where Rome never rose to begin with - I think their possible 'evolution' to fully 'civilised' societies could have been wonderful. Plus I believe that they would have been far better equipped to handle the Norse and Germanic expansion/raids/settlements/invasions than the Christians were. Furthermore, the fact that any possible large scale crossing of the Atlantic most likely would have been delayed would have allowed the Mesoamerican cultures to mature and progress out of their own 'antiquity' stage.

There was no Bronze Age Collapse as commonly represented, and no Sea People.

Roman armies were very rigid, inflexible, and difficult to maneuver. The "checkerboard" in particular was highly dependent on both the velites and the Equestrian comitatus of the legates and tribunes to fight successfully. In Alexandrian armies by contrast, any of the individual arms were capable of successful independent action and quick to perform field evolutions.

Gustavas Adolphus is highly overrated, the Tercios of the Spanish Hapsburg armies were already practicing many of the "reforms" credited to him and Maurice of Nassau since their inception almost a century earlier.

British Battlecruisers were not fragile, their concept was sound, and their losses were not a fault of their design.

The French were the key innovators of both military thought and technology through the late 19th and early 20th century.

The stirrup does not make a decisive difference in shock cavalry combat.

Most "barbarian invasions" weren't.

Roman armies were very rigid, inflexible, and difficult to maneuver. The "checkerboard" in particular was highly dependent on both the velites and the Equestrian comitatus of the legates and tribunes to fight successfully. In Alexandrian armies by contrast, any of the individual arms were capable of successful independent action and quick to perform field evolutions.

I read at Delbruck's "History of Art of War" that the "checkerboard" is basically a more flavorful description of "phalanx but more flexible because it had actual formalized low-level units as opposed to Greek big blob of infantry sometimes separated into slightly smaller groups". I am not a historian, so could you please explain whether it's a correct take?

The Second Amendment of the US Constitution was a mistake; not just because of the modern gun problem in the country, but also because militias were far less useful in war than what the Founding Fathers imagined. I can understand why they put it in there, but at the very least it should have been scrapped after the War of 1812.

The militias were not useless in the Revolutionary War, and in fact were essential for the colonies to win.

The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not the main reason the Japanese government surrendered.
The Soviet invasion of Manchuria was.

The Second Amendment was put into the Bill of Rights mainly because the founding fathers were too cheap to pay for a standing army.

The militias were not useless in the Revolutionary War, and in fact were essential for the colonies to win.
The Second Amendment was put into the Bill of Rights mainly because the founding fathers were too cheap to pay for a standing army.

Yes and yes, militias were used extensively in the Revolutionary War. In fact they were pretty much the army at the start. The Battles of Lexington and Concord were entirely militia run. The thing is though those militia were very much in the 'well trained' category, or at the very least 'well led' by French and Indian War veterans that could organize and run them for best efficiency. The problem is that they then assumed that militias would be equally good in future wars and then neglected any sort of training. Come the War of 1812 the militias were in far poorer shape. The only way they could work was if the states were willing to pay to keep their militias ready which none wanted to do.

The thing is even if they were really effective in the Revolution it should have been apparent that the militia system wasn't going to work after the War of 1812.

What they were was extremely distrustful of large standing national armies and depending on a comically small professional military supplemented by the states and volunteers did for the most part work until the world wars.

I read at Delbruck's "History of Art of War" that the "checkerboard" is basically a more flavorful description of "phalanx but more flexible because it had actual formalized low-level units as opposed to Greek big blob of infantry sometimes separated into slightly smaller groups". I am not a historian, so could you please explain whether it's a correct take?

Hans Delbruck was brilliant, but he was writing a hundred years ago. You should look into more recent interpretations such as Adrian Goldsworthy, J.E. Lendon, Philip Sabin or Gregory Daly.

@100thlurker can explain this better and more eloquently than I, but I will try. The Phalanx of the Hellenes and Makedonians worked by subordinating all the individuals into a whole. They acted a single entity, to the point that some of the Greek cities would run a rope through the shields of the front rank and literally tie them together, making them physically incapable of breaking rank. The individual fighting prowess of the phalangite was not what was important, what was important was their ability to keep rank and keep moving forward. Humans are not particularly willing creatures to throw themselves into harm's way on a battlefield, and the Phalanx gets around this by providing a sense of psychological security by the closeness of its ranks and the mutual defense of overlapping shields. The Phalanx is completely specialized to do one thing: Push forward.

The Roman legion was a different creature. Polybius tells us that the Roman maniples were not packed in shoulder to shoulder like a phalanx, but were spread out. The legionary needed room to throw his javelins and to cut and thrust with his sword. His psychological security was derived from the size and strength of the scutum, but the scutum was not meant to fight with shields overlapped. It is an individual defense. The legionary is meant to fight as an individual, throwing javelins and fighting individual sword duels. His social system, his sense of honour and glory, demands an individual ordeal, a single combat viewed by his peers. Most of their time in battle would be spent showering the enemy with thrown missiles, punctuated at times by charges led by centurions with swords drawn, a sort of "bayonet charge" to break the enemy's will and make them run. The open order of the legions allows those physically and morally exhausted by fighting to filter back to the standard without shame, and it allows those eager and aggressive to take the forefront in the next charge where by their prowess they might win honour and social standing. Seething, howling, hurling themselves upon their foes time and time again until they break. That is the way of the legions. Where the phalanx was specialized for the physical struggle of moving forward, the legion was specialized for the psychological struggle, of generating and maintaining a will to combat amongst its soldiers, and of carrying men into close combat with the enemy (The most difficult of all leadership tasks on a battlefield).

Because the legions deployed in this more open order, and because they deployed in a series of long lines, the Legion was far more unwieldy for the overall general, the Imperator. It was not particularly responsive to centralized command. However the sub-units, the centuries and maniples with their centurions and tribunes, could be quite responsive at the sharp end. Everything was down to local control and local leadership. You see this with Claudius Nero at the Battle of the Metaurus, disengaging from one end of the line to attack the Carthaginians on the other. Or at Cynoscephelae, when a tribune saw an opportunity and took it by leading a group of maniples into the Makedonian flank after the elephants had routed one of the enemy's wings. The legions were inflexible tools in the hands of the commanding general, but the maniples and centuries were well suited to have someone wave his hand over his head and shout "Follow me!". That was the very purpose of centurions and tribunes after all.

Yes and yes, militias were used extensively in the Revolutionary War. In fact they were pretty much the army at the start. The Battles of Lexington and Concord were entirely militia run. The thing is though those militia were very much in the 'well trained' category, or at the very least 'well led' by French and Indian War veterans that could organize and run them for best efficiency. The problem is that they then assumed that militias would be equally good in future wars and then neglected any sort of training. Come the War of 1812 the militias were in far poorer shape. The only way they could work was if the states were willing to pay to keep their militias ready which none wanted to do.

The thing is even if they were really effective in the Revolution it should have been apparent that the militia system wasn't going to work after the War of 1812.
I'm not really talking about open combat, because that's not the most important thing the militias did. Not even close. The militias were important for territory control. They were the reason the British could never really hold down the countryside. They'd go in, take a place, and then move on, at which point militia could come back in and retake the area. They were also a very visible Patriot presence that drummed up support and kept political opponents quiet, often through force.

I will agree with the broader point that they were patently obsolete after the War of 1812.

Russia would've been better if the Tzars weren't murdered and instead allowed to smoothly transfer into constitutional monarchy like the last one actually intended to.

There is no evidence that Nicholas II intended anything of the sort. As soon as he got the chance he rolled back the 1905 reforms, and he was constantly being advised by his wife and other advisors in Russia to hold absolute power as much as possible.

It likely would have been better for russia if Nicholas II had died and the throne had fallen to his more liberal and reasonable brother or better yet if his reforming grandfather hadn't been assassinated allowing his son to come in and roll back and remove his reforms before they could become firmly establihed.

To be honest even there hadn't been revolution and world war one I honestly half suspect that Nicholas II might have suffered the fate of his ancestor Peter the third and be deposed in favor of someone more competent especially given given his tendency to ignore advise and warning from family and powerful members of the nobility.

Qin Qi Huang Di wasn't nearly as important to China that he's made out to be. (That's only from my minor education I was able to pick on him, so I could be wrong).
Sure, the Great Wall and Unification was awesome, but what else did he do? I was fairly certain he was a major prick with morality as bad as Julius Caesar's?

Back