A large part of the fault for the First World War lays with Germany, and although the British and French Empires were hardly saint themselves it was for the better for Europe and mankind that Germany was defeated and Britain and France prevailed.

The Battle of Jutland was, in fact, a British victory and a German defeat in spite of the greater British losses. It may have been the decisive battle of the First World War.

Christianity didn't corrupt Rome. Rome corrupted Christianity. Christ overthrew Caesar, and then Christ became Caesar.

The Christianization of Europe was, in the long term, for the better but was often executed in wicked, unChristlike ways.

The Romans were not religiously tolerant. They were quite the opposite actually.

I'm fairly certain these opinions generally fall within the mainstream of historiography.

As for me, the only "controversial historical opinion" I have is that JFK was killed by the CIA. For being an assassination of a major world figure, there is way too much that is unclear, way too much lost evidence/documentation, way too many "coincedences," and way too many people involved in the investigation -- and people who may have had information not revealed to the public on the assassination -- that ended up dying or vanishing. If there's one conspiracy I will ever believe, it's that Kennedy was offed by the people who served him.

As for me, the only "controversial historical opinion" I have is that JFK was killed by the CIA.

I think the IC coverup is that they were deathly afraid of looking abysmally incompetent and couldn't bring themselves to admit that "Oh, we had him under surveillance, knew he had been to the USSR, considered him a possible soviet asset, and yet he could just walk into a building and put a bullet in the brain of the president."

That was a bad look, so they haphazardly tried to suppress that.

Their not-so-very subtle attempts at that and botched investigations incapable of presenting a plausible alternative created a climate of confusion and insecurity about exactly what happened, as many of the precise details (e.g. the FBI awareness of Oswald see for instance James P. Hosty) were not revealed until years later.

I'm fairly certain these opinions generally fall within the mainstream of historiography.

As for me, the only "controversial historical opinion" I have is that JFK was killed by the CIA. For being an assassination of a major world figure, there is way too much that is unclear, way too much lost evidence/documentation, way too many "coincedences," and way too many people involved in the investigation -- and people who may have had information not revealed to the public on the assassination -- that ended up dying or vanishing. If there's one conspiracy I will ever believe, it's that Kennedy was offed by the people who served him.
The thing is, real life is chaotic and messy. People are fundamentally unpredictable on an individual level, and there are huge numbers of loose ends from any interaction or event. Think about how closely Oswald's life and his actions in the days before the assassination have been probed into. Think about how closely the activities, words, and connections of the president, the investigators, and Oswald's eventually murderer have been read into. We have generated a staggering amount of data about the shooting itself and the events leading up to it. Audio recordings on low quality media have been ripped apart by acoustics experts with high powered software. Films have been examined for anomalies, frame by frame, down to the grain of the film stock. The number of discrete pieces of informations are uncountable. When you start looking at an event with hundreds of direct and thousands of indirect participants at this level, you will see a huge number of things that seem strange or coincidental. This is just the pattern matching part of our brains attempting to sort huge amounts of chaotic data into recognizable structures.

We are very strongly evolutionarily inclined to identify motives. It is essential to multiple parts of our species' survival and reproductive strategies. When presented a complex, dangerous, and inexplicable force, like the weather, for example, we are prone to personify it as a being, so that we can try to intuit its motivations and possible thwart them or placate it. This is how early societies developed spirits and gods to govern important but uncontrollable phenomena. We'd rather think we'd offended a god we can placate or that we've attracted the attentions of a demon we can ward off than to believe we are powerless.

When you apply this to the weather or disease, you get spirits of plague and storm. You get fairies blighting crops, and child killing devils. When you apply it to history, you get conspiracies. And active intelligence, that transforms history from a series of inexplicable and frightening events into a recognizably motivated set of intentional designs. These instinctive drives make the conspiratorial view of history deeply compelling, but they don't align with objective reality very often except by chance.

The thing is, real life is chaotic and messy. People are fundamentally unpredictable on an individual level, and there are huge numbers of loose ends from any interaction or event. Think about how closely Oswald's life and his actions in the days before the assassination have been probed into. Think about how closely the activities, words, and connections of the president, the investigators, and Oswald's eventually murderer have been read into. We have generated a staggering amount of data about the shooting itself and the events leading up to it. Audio recordings on low quality media have been ripped apart by acoustics experts with high powered software. Films have been examined for anomalies, frame by frame, down to the grain of the film stock. The number of discrete pieces of informations are uncountable. When you start looking at an event with hundreds of direct and thousands of indirect participants at this level, you will see a huge number of things that seem strange or coincidental. This is just the pattern matching part of our brains attempting to sort huge amounts of chaotic data into recognizable structures.

We are very strongly evolutionarily inclined to identify motives. It is essential to multiple parts of our species' survival and reproductive strategies. When presented a complex, dangerous, and inexplicable force, like the weather, for example, we are prone to personify it as a being, so that we can try to intuit its motivations and possible thwart them or placate it. This is how early societies developed spirits and gods to govern important but uncontrollable phenomena. We'd rather think we'd offended a god we can placate or that we've attracted the attentions of a demon we can ward off than to believe we are powerless.

When you apply this to the weather or disease, you get spirits of plague and storm. You get fairies blighting crops, and child killing devils. When you apply it to history, you get conspiracies. And active intelligence, that transforms history from a series of inexplicable and frightening events into a recognizably motivated set of intentional designs. These instinctive drives make the conspiratorial view of history deeply compelling, but they don't align with objective reality very often except by chance.

This is a very interesting view of history and society. it also explains the strange obsession far right have with the jews, liberals, SJWs etc. Or just create imaginary groups like illumnati or fantastic tales about free masons, Rothschild etc. They need to create an anthropomorphic foe when confronted with complex economic, social and political issues.

Kaiser Frederick III and his Wife Victoria, mainly Victoria, probably doomed the German Empire being absolutely shit parents to Wilhelm II.

Because seriously, that guy had a really screwed up Childhood.

Kaiser Frederick III and his Wife Victoria, mainly Victoria, probably doomed the German Empire being absolutely shit parents to Wilhelm II.

Because seriously, that guy had a really screwed up Childhood.
It's not like Empress Victoria didn't have her own shit-tier upbringing, Queen Victoria of England was by all accounts a god-awful overbearing and controlling mother that generally made her children's life unpleasant.

It's not like Empress Victoria didn't have her own shit-tier upbringing, Queen Victoria of England was by all accounts a god-awful overbearing and controlling mother that generally made her children's life unpleasant.
And her mother actively tried to break her spirit and leave her isolated and uneducated so that she and her favourites could dominate her and set themselves up to milk the monarchy for all it was worth.

It didn't help that Bismarck had his own contribution into messing up Wilhelm II, since he tried to poison his mind against his parents for political reasons (he was a major opponent of Frederick III's constitutionalism).

Auferstanden aus Ruinen is superior to Deutschlandlied as national anthem.

Or, as in my case, feeling embarassed at singing "O Canada" because it's just such a lame national anthem.

The French version does try to spice things up, however:

Ô Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

My rubbish attempt at a translation:

O Canada! Land of our forefathers,
Your brow is girt with glorious jewels!
For your arm knows how to wield the sword,
It knows how to carry the cross!
Your history is an epic
of shining deeds.
And your valour, steeped in faith,
Will protect our homes and our rights.
Will protect our homes and our rights.

(Yes, in the French version, Canada is a holy warrior ready to strike down our enemies in the name of the cross)

Back