10 minutes of Brie Larson talking about representation and diversity.

In case anyone wondered why she creates such a strong reaction among a section of the superhero fanbase.

Kevin Smith reacts to the last Stan Lee cameo.

AS Stan was reading from Mallrats, would that technically make Kevin a MCU character?

10 minutes of Brie Larson talking about representation and diversity.

In case anyone wondered why she creates such a strong reaction among a section of the superhero fanbase.

Looking at that... it comes across as very normal, positive stuff compared to the backlash.

Can anyone tell me which line or lines there are supposed to be a problem?

Looking at that... it comes across as very normal, positive stuff compared to the backlash.

I haven't rewatched the video, but by memory, none for me. As you say, very positive overall.

And every line for others.

Last edited:

The problem is that she spoke in favor of diversity and inclusivity which is absolutely horrible to the fragile reactionary troglodytes which are sadly too often present in online geek discourse.

Of course, their mindless outrage didn't stop Captain Marvel from doing incredibly well at the box office so fuck 'em.

The problem is that she spoke in favor of diversity and inclusivity which is absolutely horrible to the fragile reactionary troglodytes which are sadly too often present in online geek discourse.

Of course, their mindless outrage didn't stop Captain Marvel from doing incredibly well at the box office so fuck 'em.
I honestly think Captain Marvel is an adequetly serviceable film, but also that about 50% of it's success was due to endgame hype.

I don't think you can attribute that much of it's success to endgame hype. Ant-Man and the Wasp didn't make nearly as much money and Captain Marvel did

Yea. Really the success is having a strong heroine movie- which is something much rarer than a quirky superhero comedy at this point (2 vs the Ant-men, Deadpools, Guardians, and Ragnarok, plus CGI movies like Megamind). The period piece/buddy copy with young Fury/feminist message all added to that.

Serving an underserved area with a classic superhero formula story pays off.

Last edited:
That's true, butmy thinking on the matter is that people may have thought that sandwiching the newest character in the MCU between the two halves of their biggest event movie may have given people the impression that the events of Captain Marvel were more important to the events of endgame than they actually were. Not to mention the post credits stinger from infinity war that sort of pointed in that direction as well. Though I will agree that it also hit an under utilized market. Also, I will admit that I'm biased against this moviebecause I don't like Captain Marvel the character but think she's a necessary evil for the existence of the real best marvel female super hero, Kamala Khan.

That's true, butmy thinking on the matter is that people may have thought that sandwiching the newest character in the MCU between the two halves of their biggest event movie may have given people the impression that the events of Captain Marvel were more important to the events of endgame than they actually were. Not to mention the post credits stinger from infinity war that sort of pointed in that direction as well. Though I will agree that it also hit an under utilized market. Also, I will admit that I'm biased against this moviebecause I don't like Captain Marvel the character but think she's a necessary evil for the existence of the real best marvel female super hero, Kamala Khan.

It certainly helped, though as mentioned Ant-Man and the Wasp didn't get near the size bump so it's surely not the primary factor. Hard to say how much did what.

So, Endgame costume vs Captain Marvel costume? Opinions?

Also, it turns out that Endgame's costume as entirely CGI because they decided to change it after shooting the scenes.

Definitely prefer the Captain Marvel suit. I like the primary colors a lot. The more subdued color scheme fits the moodiness of Endgame more but there's something about that suit that just doesn't seem quite right. I actually didn't even realize she had a different suit in Endgame.

Definitely prefer the Captain Marvel suit. I like the primary colors a lot. The more subdued color scheme fits the moodiness of Endgame more but there's something about that suit that just doesn't seem quite right. I actually didn't even realize she had a different suit in Endgame.

It could be that the colors are reversed - it's red where the other is blue, and vicea-versa; and the comics version is red shoulders, blue body, so we see the Captain Marvel one as more "Correct".

It could be that the colors are reversed - it's red where the other is blue, and vicea-versa; and the comics version is red shoulders, blue body, so we see the Captain Marvel one as more "Correct".

I think to my mind, Carol's MCU incarnation is meant to be an inspirational figure as well as just generally very energetic and kinetic so the muted colors seem ill fitting. Captain Marvel was very much an unapologetic comic book movie, as compared to say some of the earlier MCU films that were trying to put up more of a thin veneer of "respectability" in order to be taken more seriously so there again, the bright color scheme just seems to work. Very similar in that regard to Ragnorak that was an homage to cheesy OG Marvel from start to finish...like if you told me that if you saw the costumes in person that they had a tiny ink dot pattern that was visible in real life but not quite captured on film I'd totally believe you.

... maybe it's just that picture, but the Engame suit looks like it has sculpted abs.

I'm sure that's not the intention. It looks like it's just the armor being layered, the same way it is in the Captain Marvel film... but whether it's that shot, or the combination of colours or whatever, it looks like there's something on her stomach.

So, I guess I have to vote for the Captain Marvel costume? I do prefer the short hair and the sash though...

Some Nerds are a bunch of whinny fucks who should be shoved into lockers.

It was hilarious looking at some local pages. It was somethibng like this:

(prior to the movie debuts): "This actress is a loudmouth who will ruin the movie due to her big mouth. Watch it as it happens, maybe marvel will learn their lesson."

Week 1 opening (big success) : "The movie is doing good because it´s the first week and Disney bought off review. Watch it as it falls on the second week as word of mouth spreads!"

Week 2/3 and so on: * crickets chirp*

Last edited:
The CM suit is way better IMO than Endgame's, although that side-by-side shot is very clearly trying to skew the things by taking a glam promo shot and comparing it to a dully-lit freeze-frame.

Last edited:
Back