The CM suit is way better IMO than Endgame's, although that side-by-side shot is very clearly trying to skew the things by taking a glam promo shot and comparing it to a dully-lit freeze-frame.

That was the only picture of the Endgame suit I could find on internet at the time. And I don't think there are glam promo shots of the Endgame suit either.

I happen to prefer the Endgame suit actually. Though it's true that the lighting is suffering from the Marvel washed-out colour palette here.
... maybe it's just that picture, but the Engame suit looks like it has sculpted abs.

I'm sure that's not the intention. It looks like it's just the armor being layered, the same way it is in the Captain Marvel film... but whether it's that shot, or the combination of colours or whatever, it looks like there's something on her stomach.

So, I guess I have to vote for the Captain Marvel costume? I do prefer the short hair and the sash though...

That's CGI fabric rippling effect, you can see it more clearly if you view the image at full size, same as Spiderman's suit. I seem to recall that the Civil War CGI Spider Suit looked weird because of "primitive" fabric simulation and then they improved the fabric simulation either for Homecoming or IW/Endgame.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, the reversal of the reds and blue on her suit in Endgame was actually CGI, since all the BTS stuff I've seen for her in the final battle has her suit with its normal color scheme.

I haven't given them any clicks but now the usual suspects are going on about how DVD sales for Captain Marvel are down, as if that means something.

I haven't given them any clicks but now the usual suspects are going on about how DVD sales for Captain Marvel are down, as if that means something.

People still buy DVDs? Might as well talk about how many VHS and Betamax ver-

Hold on, that would actually be a good marketing stunt for Captain Marvel, release onto VHS.

...I did notice lately how untouched a whole rack of Captain Marvel DVD's have been at my local store for the last few months whenever I go in there waiting for Endgame to come in.

Which is still meaningless since the movie made over a billion and doesn't need the sales. Still curious to see how the sequel will perform without the surrounding Endgame hype that boosted it a lot.

Lemme check the amazon sales rank....

It's 6th in action/adventure DVD. Spider-Man Far From Home is 7th and came out more recently.

This fails the usual suspects BS test.

People still buy DVDs? Might as well talk about how many VHS and Betamax ver-

Hold on, that would actually be a good marketing stunt for Captain Marvel, release onto VHS.

I do on the basis I don't know when streaming sites will take something down.

Ditto. I don't get very many movies per year, but I do but ones I particularly like on physical media. If you buy it to stream, then you don't really own it: it can be taken away at any time.

Also I like a lot of older anime series which sometimes aren't on streaming to begin with.... or are on a service I don't have and so on.

If we get to a point where streaming is long-term reliable, then sure, I'll switch.

Also also? DVD/Blu Ray extras.

I was thinking about the whole on-disk extras thing and how most digital platforms lack that (a couple of seasons of TV shows I got on Google Play have some behind the scenes content beside the regular episodes, but I haven't seen anything like that for movies yet, not that I have a lot on digital) but then I realised that most of that stuff ends up on youtube anyhow, plus in the past a lot of bonus content was extra information about the film which these days is given out in dozens of cast/crew interviews and wotnot.

But yeah, Captain Marvel on VHS sounds like a fine idea. It worked for GotG and cassette tapes.
And there's more VHS tapes on shelves in my house that I care to admit to.

You've just described why I'm waiting for a CD revival.

There has been a vinyl revival. You can get marvel soundtracks on 'em!

I was thinking about the whole on-disk extras thing and how most digital platforms lack that (a couple of seasons of TV shows I got on Google Play have some behind the scenes content beside the regular episodes, but I haven't seen anything like that for movies yet, not that I have a lot on digital) but then I realised that most of that stuff ends up on youtube anyhow, plus in the past a lot of bonus content was extra information about the film which these days is given out in dozens of cast/crew interviews and wotnot.

The big one is director/actor commentary, which doesn't show up as a youtube extra.

Yeah, and those should be easy to implement on digital platforms as an alternative sound track.
iTunes has that, along with weirder stuff like full alternate play orders for some films (Spider-Verse has it with extra storyboards and deleted scenes spliced into the film playback, for example). If you use Movies Anywhere, you can also get most films from most other digital distribution services to sync to an Apple account for free.

...I did notice lately how untouched a whole rack of Captain Marvel DVD's have been at my local store for the last few months whenever I go in there waiting for Endgame to come in.

Which is still meaningless since the movie made over a billion and doesn't need the sales. Still curious to see how the sequel will perform without the surrounding Endgame hype that boosted it a lot.

I think that's the big question for Phase 4 in general. Thor is the only member of the original MCU lineup to have a film in Phase 4. Everyone else are the new kids on the block. Black Panther 2 is a shoo in but its going to be interesting to see whether or not Strange 2, Marvel 2 and Not Iron Fist will have the same draw. I suspect everyone is going to take a bit of a haircut to be honest. No one is going to tank because Disney/Marvel as has been noted repeatedly has a very high work ethic but I think we may enter the era in which its harder to create authentically new spectacles to dazzle people and characters that feel fresh. I could be entirely wrong though because it also looks like Phase 4 is going all in on shaking up their storytelling.

I think that's the big question for Phase 4 in general. Thor is the only member of the original MCU lineup to have a film in Phase 4. Everyone else are the new kids on the block. Black Panther 2 is a shoo in but its going to be interesting to see whether or not Strange 2, Marvel 2 and Not Iron Fist will have the same draw. I suspect everyone is going to take a bit of a haircut to be honest. No one is going to tank because Disney/Marvel as has been noted repeatedly has a very high work ethic but I think we may enter the era in which its harder to create authentically new spectacles to dazzle people and characters that feel fresh. I could be entirely wrong though because it also looks like Phase 4 is going all in on shaking up their storytelling.

I think it's fair to ask, after over a decade of superhero movies, at what point people will begin to want something else and other types of movies will start to be the biggest blockbusters.

I am curious how Disney plans to keep interest, as eventually their preferred formula will go stale.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to ask, after over a decade of superhero movies, at what point people will begin to want something else and other types of movies will start to be the biggest blockbusters.

I am curious how Disney plans to keep interest, as eventually their preferred formula will go stale.

Which is why I think at a glance a lot of the Phase 4 movies look like they're going to be taking risks with their storytelling. Taking Thor's power away and giving it to Jane Foster, a sort of lite cosmic horror story with Strange and Scarlet Witch, I assume that Shang-Chi will probably steeped in eastern mysticism in a way that will probably try to present some of the tropes of kung fu movies from a more authentic and less exploitative perspective, who knows what Eternals will even be like. I just realized looking at the wiki page that Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 probably won't drop until 2022 at the earliest so that leaves Thor and Strange as the only sequels and, Black Widow, not exactly everyone's most beloved or well developed supporting character as the only other Avenger returning in Phase 4. I think its safe to say that Disney knows they have to innovate and innovate hard to reach the pinnacle of success they've become accustomed to - and they may still fall short. If that leads to more 100 to 150 million production budget films with a tighter focus on characterization and tight scripts over spectacle...I'm kind of here for that.

Which is why I think at a glance a lot of the Phase 4 movies look like they're going to be taking risks with their storytelling. Taking Thor's power away and giving it to Jane Foster, a sort of lite cosmic horror story with Strange and Scarlet Witch, I assume that Shang-Chi will probably steeped in eastern mysticism in a way that will probably try to present some of the tropes of kung fu movies from a more authentic and less exploitative perspective, who knows what Eternals will even be like. I just realized looking at the wiki page that Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 probably won't drop until 2022 at the earliest so that leaves Thor and Strange as the only sequels and, Black Widow, not exactly everyone's most beloved or well developed supporting character as the only other Avenger returning in Phase 4. I think its safe to say that Disney knows they have to innovate and innovate hard to reach the pinnacle of success they've become accustomed to - and they may still fall short. If that leads to more 100 to 150 million production budget films with a tighter focus on characterization and tight scripts over spectacle...I'm kind of here for that.

Well, let's hope Disney can innovate here better than they innovate in their live-action remakes. :V

It will be interesting to see.

Back