Which seems like odd misinformation from the article then to claim she did this willingly.

Anyone else bothered by the visuals, they have a DC style colour desaturation to them.

Might be intentional, of her arc is about discovering how much she was used. It would help them to keep people uncertain.

I am genuinely going to miss the black and green suit, I think - it looks awfully sleek. That said, the red-blue-gold colour scheme still looks good.

It's possible we'll also get something black and yellow, as a reference to her Ms marvel days. They'll definitely add it as an Easter egg, if only to keep that door open.

Looks like we got the answer to this, judging from the trailer it seems like the Kree brain-washed her or something.

Which seems like odd misinformation from the article then to claim she did this willingly.

Anyone else bothered by the visuals, they have a DC style colour desaturation to them.
It's possible that the amnesia came about from some other source, and then the Kree helped her recover out of altruism or more likely because it was advantageous to have an easy candidate for recruitment that could potentially serve double-duty as an undercover agent (given that humans and Xandarians look pretty much identical, and it's not clear whether they actually can be distinguished apart from with a medical examination).

Or the Kree wiped her memory and 'nursed her back to health,' or something.

That crashing sound you hear is the start of the 90s nostalgia wave that will come to dominate pop culture of the 2020s. Wave goodbye to the 80s, kids!

though Carol will always be Ms. Marvel to me and I do wish they would stop treating feminine signifiers like dirty words.
Well I agree with the latter part in a general sense, I think it's wrong in Captain Marvel's case for reasons that can be summed up by the line "I didn't go to medical school for ten years to be called mister".

Eh, I like Kamala as Ms. Marvel More, so Carol can be Captain.
My main issue with Kamala Khan - and one of the reasons I think I've struggled to get into her - is she has this very clear logical path of maturing past rabid fannism and making her own hero identity with her own name and identity... and yet has quite extensively never taken that path. Ms. Marvel should never have been more than a transitionary stage for her, imo.

My main issue with Kamala Khan - and one of the reasons I think I've struggled to get into her - is she has this very clear logical path of maturing past rabid fannism and making her own hero identity with her own name and identity... and yet has quite extensively never taken that path. Ms. Marvel should never have been more than a transitionary stage for her, imo.
So what's the problem with Carol Danvers transitioning into a more appropriate identity then?

Actually, I thought I heard in the latest series she was in she was just going by 'Khan' now.

So what's the problem with Carol Danvers transitioning into a more appropriate identity then?
Didn't fit her arc imo. And for that matter, her taking an identity that ued to belong to a man instead of retaining her own ran counter the the point. Ms. Marvel was her thing and nobody else's and she was powerful and successful with her thing; Captain Marvel was someone else's thing that she abandoned her own thing to adopt. Not to mention her real rank of captain is a US military thing and... well, I kinda think she should be progressing to ditch her associations with that.

Legacy characters are quite hard to get right for me. I've always had pretty mixed feelings on the Robins, for example, and I actively hate the idea of Iron Man being a legacy anyone would want to aspire to, much less take up. But I'm a-ok with, say, a new Iron Fist since it's a defined role with an extensive in-universe history as a position, not an identity. It's one of those very much case-by-case basis things.

Actually, I thought I heard in the latest series she was in she was just going by 'Khan' now.
Really? If so, that's pretty neat.

Didn't fit her arc imo. And for that matter, her taking an identity that ued to belong to a man instead of retaining her own ran counter the the point. Ms. Marvel was her thing and nobody else's and she was powerful and successful with her thing; Captain Marvel was someone else's thing that she abandoned her own thing to adopt. Not to mention her real rank of captain is a US military thing and... well, I kinda think she should be progressing to ditch her associations with that.

Legacy characters are quite hard to get right for me. I've always had pretty mixed feelings on the Robins, for example, and I actively hate the idea of Iron Man being a legacy anyone would want to aspire to, much less take up. But I'm a-ok with, say, a new Iron Fist since it's a defined role with an extensive in-universe history as a position, not an identity. It's one of those very much case-by-case basis things.
Why should Carol ditch her military connections?

As for the Robins, they're needed for Batman to be Batman, so the only options are to have new ones, or to have Dick Grayson stay Robin, and the boat has sailed on the latter option
Really? If so, that's pretty neat.
I'm pretty sure that Khan is the Grizzled Future Kamala from Exiles

Why should Carol ditch her military connections?
To be honest I'll freely admit this is more because I have a very turgid view of the US military.

But like, in many ways, it's more than a name change - her outfit for example, while very stylish, has all the Captain Marvel hallmarks, but none of her own from her Ms. Marvel days. The lightning bolt symbol, the mask, the red sash. It's all a very distinct casting off of who she was to adopt this role that was someone else's entirely. And I probably wouldn't mind the name change itself if all the other things that were unique to her Ms. Marvel persona had stayed.

As for the Robins, they're needed for Batman to be Batman, so the only options are to have new ones, or to have Dick Grayson stay Robin, and the boat has sailed on the latter option
Yeah that's why I've always had mixed feelings on it. On the one hand I do get the logic, but on the other... Dick will always be my Robin - and I think of the other Robins primarily in terms of their various other identities even though they've all had cool stints as Robin. So I think of Stephanie as Spoiler since that was her thing. Though if you want to talk more on this one, we should probably shift it over to the general or DC thread.

To be honest I'll freely admit this is more because I have a very turgid view of the US military.

But like, in many ways, it's more than a name change - her outfit for example, while very stylish, has all the Captain Marvel hallmarks, but none of her own from her Ms. Marvel days. The lightning bolt symbol, the mask, the red sash. It's all a very distinct casting off of who she was to adopt this role that was someone else's entirely. And I probably wouldn't mind the name change itself if all the other things that were unique to her Ms. Marvel persona had stayed.
Yeah that's why I've always had mixed feelings on it. On the one hand I do get the logic, but on the other... Dick will always be my Robin - and I think of the other Robins primarily in terms of their various other identities even though they've all had cool stints as Robin. So I think of Stephanie as Spoiler since that was her thing. Though if you want to talk more on this one, we should probably shift it over to the general or DC thread.
1. Those are all fair points
2. Sure, we can switch over.
"Grizzled, Future Kamala" is the exact last combination of words I ever wanted to see.
I'm pretty sure it was meant to be commentary on how overdone that sort of thing is

"Grizzled, Future Kamala" is the exact last combination of words I ever wanted to see.
Dude it's great. Basically her as Sarah Connor. It also has CARTOON CHIBI WOLVERINE from a G-rated X-Men universe. Exiles is fantastic right now and going strong, go read it.

edit- literally just repeating the dude above me, lol whoops, but still.

Also holy lol the new trailer. Carol Danvers punches old women! That's my Captain Marvel.

(probably a skrull but who cares)

Last edited:
That crashing sound you hear is the start of the 90s nostalgia wave that will come to dominate pop culture of the 2020s. Wave goodbye to the 80s, kids!

Well I agree with the latter part in a general sense, I think it's wrong in Captain Marvel's case for reasons that can be summed up by the line "I didn't go to medical school for ten years to be called mister".

Well good we can get over looking at problematic shit from the 80's and finally get onto finally showing what was problematic about the 90's. you can only deconstruct the 80's for so long till it gets boring.

Anywho the teaser looks a tad meh. I really hope this isn't a Ant man situation where the trailers are meh but the movie is fantastic.

other things.

Brie Larson continues to be Gal Gadot but better.

That Old lady punching will be memed to death. and I can't wait.

also GOOD GOD THE DE-AGING TECH IS AMAZING.

all I can say is lets just hope shes not as much of an asshole as her comic counterpart.

Looking forward to this one. Wasn't sure I was going to (not a huge fan of her in the comics), but the Blockbuster open was genuinely clever, Young Fury looks great, and Danvers is looking pretty interesting so far with the 'renegade soldier' angle. The green suit looks neat and isn't obviously the wrong color in terms of design, which is clever.

The opportunity to (presumably) backfill GOTG Vol.1's villain into a more complete character is an interesting choice that could pay off, but at the moment I'm just kind of eh on Ronan being there.

I like the transition from HER to A HERO.

That's some good ass editing right there.
Yeah it's great. And it can be read three different way:
"What makes her"
"What makes a hero"
"What makes her a hero"

Thought-provoking.

Ah, yes, :turian:kindly old grandmas:turian:.

"I've had enough of your snide insinuations/disingenuous assertions/tabloid journalism!"
- Carol Danvers, probably
Heh, you beat me to the Mass Effect memes. I was gonna go with "I know a renegade when I see one."

[edit] wow that's the fastest meow I've ever seen!

Last edited:
Back