Iron Man 3 has my favorite central character drama of any of the marvel movies. To bad that super hero part at the end of a movie all about talking about loss, acceptance, and the horror of conflict ends with the movie asking you to cheer as Tony Stark shoots other people scared by conflict in the face in a big fight scene.
Marvel Exec: "You people are getting too woke with your message. What do you think this is? Black Panther? Make Tony Stark shoot a bunch vets!"

Iron Man 3 has my favorite central character drama of any of the marvel movies. To bad that super hero part at the end of a movie all about talking about loss, acceptance, and the horror of conflict ends with the movie asking you to cheer as Tony Stark shoots other people scared by conflict in the face in a big fight scene.

Yeah it's not perfect, but it's one of the rare Marvel movies that actually bakes an idea into the deep tissue of the film and engages with it, instead of just gesturing at shallow shit like "Surveillance is bad!" or "Friendship is good!" before going back to big dumb fight scenes, and I say this as a fan of (almost all of) the MCU.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, I don't really care about Captian Marvel one way or the other, I will probably see it or rent it( if it is out) before avengers 4, but all in all it's a pretty big meh. Not one of my favorite characters, and the lead actor seems like her heart is in the right place, but is kind of a doof.

What I am really excited about is this opens the door, some what*, to a Ms. Marvel movie.

* you kind of need the Inhumans for the terrigan mist thing, and Inhumans went poorly, but you could change the origin of her powers to anything really, and AoS is kinda already dealing with Inhumans, but I hope she gets a movie and doesn't end up a a one arc character on the TV show.

Last edited:
Kamala Khan is a pretty fun character, so that would be nice to see. Plus, the trolls would completely lose their shit at the thought of a Muslim-American superheroine.

Yeah it's not perfect, but it's one of the rare Marvel movies that actually bakes a deep idea into the deep tissue of the film and engages with it, instead of just gesturing at shallow shit like "Surveillance is bad!" or "Friendship is good!" before going back to big dumb fight scenes, and I say this as a fan of (almost all of) the MCU.

If this last phase of Marvel movies hadn't had a few heavy hitters it would still be my favorite movie even with it's flaws. It just gets so close to perfect that the fumble right before the finish line hurts all the more.

Kamala Khan is a pretty fun character, so that would be nice to see. Plus, the trolls would completely lose their shit at the thought of a Muslim-American superheroine.

Eh depends on which group, you are talking about, online shitlords probably, but she is pretty much universally loved by comics fans, and fans can come off kind of trollie depending on the issue.

So far all the reviews including the "eh, its okay" semi-negatives seem to be that it's a good Marvel superhero movie but doesn't transcend that formula/genre like Black Panther.
Which is weird, was hoping to see something different since they said its gonna be new and feminist. Did they get a man to direct it or something? Brie need her own Patty Jenkins.

Which is weird, was hoping to see something different since they said its gonna be new and feminist. Did they get a man to direct it or something? Brie need her own Patty Jenkins.
IIRC the director is a woman, Anna Boden. A work can be left-leaning but still be kinda meh.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care about Captian Marvel one way or the other, I will probably see it or rent it( if it is out) before avengers 4, but all in all it's a pretty big meh. Not one of my favorite characters, and the lead actor seems like her heart is in the right place, but is kind of a doof.

What I am really excited about is this opens the door, some what*, to a Ms. Marvel movie.

* you kind of need the Inhumans for the terrigan mist thing, and Inhumans went poorly, but you could change the origin of her powers to anything really, and AoS is kinda already dealing with Inhumans, but I hope she gets a movie and doesn't end up a a one arc character on the TV show.

Yeah, Brie Larson is such a doof for *checks notes* wanting more of the press she interacts with to be women and POC?

I still contest the compatibility of these two within the same statement. The MCU has been very hit n miss for me. (Though I do appreciate that I seem to be in the minority who think Iron Man 1 is dull, obnoxious swill).

Hopefully this one'll be on the hit side for me.

Iron Man 1 had its flaws -- and because it set the pattern for the MCU going forward, those flaws crop up again and again -- but it was an absolute blast to watch for the first time in theatres. I think I'd still put it as my favourite.

Iron Man 1 had its flaws -- and because it set the pattern for the MCU going forward, those flaws crop up again and again -- but it was an absolute blast to watch for the first time in theatres. I think I'd still put it as my favourite.

It's also interesting to watch Iron Man and consider it against the stuff that came after too. Like, the violence in IM is understated but holy shit do some people die pretty violently in it.

It's also interesting to watch Iron Man and consider it against the stuff that came after too. Like, the violence in IM is understated but holy shit do some people die pretty violently in it.

yea the very first punch Iron Man throws against that one dude shooting him....that man got sent flying 20+ feet into a concrete wall hard enough to break it

that man is super dead

yea the very first punch Iron Man throws against that one dude shooting him....that man got sent flying 20+ feet into a concrete wall hard enough to break it

that man is super dead

That and the ambush of the military convoy. Soldiers are very obviously getting their brains splattered against glass. That whole ambush is and those soldiers he was palling around with are just... yeeesh.

that one local leader did get pulled THROUGH THE WALL by Iron Man and didn't look too badly injured

that scene was really great, the first Iron Man had a lot of heart and I like it

It's kind've wild that the entire 21-film MCU franchise, which has generated billions of dollars and hasn't produced a single genuine dud (I don't mean "Eh it was okay", I mean an actual "Oh fuck this film suuuuuuuuucks!" level bomb) was born out of a film that was largely improvised, starring an actor who just a few years before couldn't get insured, and was based on a B-tier hero most people had never heard of.

Yeah, Brie Larson is such a doof for *checks notes* wanting more of the press she interacts with to be women and POC?

No that would be heart in the right place, the doof bit is that she seems to say it in worst way possible, I mean there is a difference between " I want more inclusivity" and " I don't care what 40 year old white men have to say".

But as you seem to be cherry picking what people are saying, feel free to continue an arguement that I am not making.

It's kind've wild that the entire 21-film MCU franchise, which has generated billions of dollars and hasn't produced a single genuine dud (I don't mean "Eh it was okay", I mean an actual "Oh fuck this film suuuuuuuuucks!" level bomb) was born out of a film that was largely improvised, starring an actor who just a few years before couldn't get insured, and was based on a B-tier hero most people had never heard of.
All the MCU films are very good, despite what some say who think that Thor: The Dark World was a horrible film. I thought that film was very good, a lot better than Thor: Ragnarok anyway.

yea, it sounds like bad wish-fulfillment fanfiction almost

I remember when Iron Man 1 came out, there was that post-credits teaser with Fury and the idea of the Avengers forming, and I was talking with my high school counselor (decently prominent black sci-fi writer, big comics guy) about the timeline of when we'd see an Avengers film. I was hoping that we'd one day get a real Galactus portrayal and maybe even Thanos (this is back when Thanos still had some good characterization). I think we figured...10, 15 years (for a full Avengers movie)?

I remember FREAKING OUT when the Avengers post-credit scene came. I never thought that I'd see THANOS on screen in a blockbuster movie, even as a cameo of sorts. THE TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

Last edited:

All the review commentary is that Marvel likes their winning formula and didn't feel they needed to go too far from it. These are heavily produced affairs, minimize risk, maximize guaranteed bank.

Wonder Woman was such a breath of fresh air not just because it was feminist but, well, because the "dark as fuck because that's what people want!" DCEU was a dumpster fire. Which has remained true even in retrospect because Justice League was lousy. WW and (lol) Aquaman are the only two of the six movies that are in MCU tier.

Last edited:
No that would be heart in the right place, the doof bit is that she seems to say it in worst way possible, I mean there is a difference between " I want more inclusivity" and " I don't care what 40 year old white men have to say".

But as you seem to be cherry picking what people are saying, feel free to continue an arguement that I am not making.

You're right, and she should probably smile more too.

All the MCU films are very good, despite what some say who think that Thor: The Dark World was a horrible film. I thought that film was very good, a lot better than Thor: Ragnarok anyway.

That is an opinion

You're right, and she should probably smile more too.

I have literally no opinion on that, but if you don't think it may be a good idea to try not to alienate people with your message, well that seems like an ineffective way to go about making social change.

But hey, you do you.

Look I personally liked Thor: The Dark World a lot better than Thor: Ragnarok. As did a good few people from what I've seen online.

Got the film tickets to see Captain Marvel with my nephews earlier today when I was shopping. I look forward to seeing the film on Friday afternoon and when all those online who said the film would be bad are proven wrong!

I'm gonna assume all the alleged people saying it's boring are just prejudiced haters, and will continue with my plans to see it tomorrow. Will report back.
For me, it's...
*flips a coin*
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
*throws a dart*
Season 3
*throws dice*
Episode 10... which is named...
*Googles*
... "Maveth"
Without the randomization I could really believe that. It's a pretty great and significant episode.

you kind of need the Inhumans for the terrigan mist thing, and Inhumans went poorly, but you could change the origin of her powers to anything really, and AoS is kinda already dealing with Inhumans
Kinda? AoS went pretty deep on inhumans and terrigen and Kree, moreso than the Inhumans show :p

Back