Chapter 15 Part 1
So I have two parts of this chapter done, the second part will be posted tomorrow.
/
Chapter 15: The Darkest Part of Noon.

Through the armored glass, Ria and Okito looked at each other. The former was dressed in a black naval uniform devoid of any markings or adornments save for gold buttons. The latter was barely more than a head, torso, and arm, naked and strapped to an elevated table.

Regret marked both of their faces.

"Look at what you've become," Okito said weakly. "A hound on a leash."

Ria sighed and rolled her eyes.

"I'm standing here, in WILLE. With them fully aware of what I am and there's not a damn thing Misato can do about it. What argument do you possibly have left?" she replied.

Okito looked down, dejected and defeated.

"Did you come here to gloat?" he asked. "Rub your victory in my face?"

"Do you really think I won here?!" Ria snapped. "There are four, maybe five people alive who actually like me. My relationship with my grandmother has fallen to the point where if we spent five minutes alone together, one of us would probably kill the other. I'm miserable half the time. I can barely sleep anymore. I haven't won. I just managed to salvage something out of this mess you created."

"Yeah, I know, I know," he muttered. "So why are you here, then?"

Ria wanted to hate him, but he was harmless, broken, a shell of his former self. Anything he'd done to her he'd done to himself a thousand times over. However angry she was, she pitied him more than anything.

She raised three fingers. "I need three things from you. First is everything you can tell me about Bardiel."

She still couldn't believe he had known about Bardiel all this time and had never told her. They could have dealt with them together years ago.

Okito rolled his head. "I already gave out all the info I have on them."

"Do you expect me to believe that?" Ria said skeptically.

"It's the truth. I don't have any reasons left to withhold a scrap of info on them. I want them dead as much as you do," Okito replied.

She believed him, as much as she could believe him.

"Okay, so I suppose you would be willing to give me all the info you could on Iruel? I can't imagine you want him alive anymore than Bardiel," she asked.

Okito inhaled sharply through gritted teeth. "...That's not so simple. I want to tell you, Ria. Don't get me wrong, if there's anyone who could ensure that traitorous ass dies a horrible, agonizing death, it's you. But that info would almost certainly lead to Ramiel and the others."

"So?" Ria shrugged. "Why would you care? They left you to die."

"You don't know Ramiel. He's coming for me, sooner or later he will. I was wrong to assume there was Angelic unity. I was wrong to call you a traitor. But I still believe in our plan."

Ria shook her head in disgust. "Really? Really?! After everything you've done, everything you've suffered, you're still trying to enact this insane plan for godhood?"

He hadn't learned one bit. He was still an utter goddamn idiot.

"It's all I have left!" Okito snapped. "Fine, maybe you beat the odds. Maybe the Lilin won't betray you the moment this is over. I don't have that opportunity. I threw away everything else. Maybe if I'd talked to you first, maybe if I had been less stubborn, we wouldn't be here. But it's too late to change my path."

Ria buried her head in her hand.

"I suppose it's pointless to ask you my third question then?" Ria said angrily.

"I don't see the harm in hearing you out at least," Okito said softly.

"Fine," Ria glared at him. "I need to know how you transformed into your original self. I pushed myself as hard as I possibly could during your attack and it very well could have killed me if I let it go too long. There's no way transforming like that should be possible without it being incredibly lethal to us. So how did you do it? How do you make transforming like that possible?"

"Oh that? That's simple," Okito replied with false cheer. "You just need a catalyst."

"W-what?" Ria was thrown off.

"A catalyst, something to push you further. A remnant of our old flesh, a piece of one of our bodies, or one of the Adam-based Evas," Okito said.

"...Why are you telling me this? You won't tell me anything about Iruel but this you give freely?" Ria asked, incredibly confused.

"Because I want you to survive this," Okito said, completely serious. "You were my friend, the only one who never used me. I don't agree in the slightest with what you're doing, but I can't stop you. The others won't show you mercy so it only seems fair to at least level the field in this regards. Besides, I owe you for what happened Iruel. If I should have never let him be a part of that mission."

Ria stared at him skeptically. "You do realize I'm going to kill Ramiel and the others if I can?"

Okito nodded. "I know. And I'm also perfectly aware what is going to happen between us if and when I escape..."

"...You could always try staying here and accepting your situation," Ria countered.

'Maybe not make everything horrible for once?' she mused bitterly.

"We both know that's not possible. Sooner or later I'm getting out of here," Okito replied.

They knew if they ever met outside of this room, one of them would end up dead. They both sighed at the thought.

Ria turned away. "I wish I could say it was nice seeing you Okito. For your sake, I hope this is the last time we see each other. Goodbye."

/

Dimitri wasn't entirely sure where he was now. Which was probably the point. Ramiel had moved the entire operation in the middle of the night.

They were in some sort of multi-room concrete bunker, hidden beneath another building.Most disturbingly was that the place had guards, human guards. Guards who fully understand what they were doing. Ramiel clearly had more resources than he had suspected.

Dimitri wasn't exactly a prisoner but Ramiel clearly didn't want him knowing where he was, lest he report back to Leliel. Then again, it was more than likely Leliel had given up and abandoned him.

Though that wouldn't make much difference with Ramiel. The Thunder of God was a paranoid one. Only he and his guards knew the location of this bunker, every other Angel was led in and out with blindfolds and ear plugs at least.

Despite that, the main room of the bunker was filled with almost every Angel not working with or captured by WILLE. It wasn't even close to all of them, but Dimitri had never seen so many of them gathered in one place before. Misato's actions and Ramiel's fear mongering had been a wild success it would seem.

Dmitri sat in a far corner, watching things from afar, horrified and disgusted that his peace attempt had been twisted this much.

Iruel, Shamshel, the twin forms of Israfel, and Sahaquiel were there of course. Joining them was Armisael, probably one of the oldest of the group. Armisael looked every bit the serious business woman, save for the video game she was currently playing.

Then there was Arael, who stuck out like a sore thumb covered in neon lights. The guy was albino, with short bright blond hair, completely pale skin, and green eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses. Though what really made him stand was his outfit. He was wearing the pale white robes of the Church of Lilith. Which made him seem even paler than he was, and made almost everyone else, even Dimitri, uncomfortable. None of them cared much for ADAM anymore but even pretending to worship Lilith felt...wrong.

Lastly there was young Sandalphon. Sandalphon was about the same age as Israfel, though far more prone to acting his age. His face was hidden behind a plastic green mask that had two round eyes painted on the upper left side of it. One of Dimitri's simplest commissions.

Strangely though, Sandalphon had traveled with a chaperone. His sister Himari, his distinctly Lilin sister.

"Why are you alive?" Shamshel questioned as she stared at the girl.

"The diamond boy said I was allowed to be here. I'll keep my silence in exchange for being allowed to live," Himari said defensively.

"Okay but why are you here, in the meeting?" Iruel asked, having some how regained a considerable amount of weight in less than a week.

"Oh come on, he's eight," the girl exclaimed. "I can't just leave him alone like that. Besides, you're monitoring my house, you weirdo. You already know why."

"Also, we were promised snacks," Sandalphon added happily.

"Are we sure we should be doing this?" Sahaquiel asked as she thumbed through a magazine. "I mean, if Sandalphon is going to tell any random Lilin about us."

"I don't talk to strangers," Sandalphon replied angrily.

"That's right," Himari said with an approving nod.

Shamshel stared at the Lilin girl. "Now that I think about it, you look familiar."

"What?" Himari asked.

Iruel smiled for some reason.

"Yeah you look really familiar," Shamshel replied.

"...I've never seen you before in my life." the girl said with annoyance.

Ramiel stepped into the room, flanked by two guards, practically oozing a smug sense of confidence with every step despite his face being hidden.

"Good, good. We're all here. Wonderful," he said as he clapped his hands together. "I'm glad you all realized the dire situation we are in."

"Yes," Arimsael replied. "But I don't see how you will help us any. I mean, Sachiel's being held captive at this very moment, Zeruel has government backing, and WILLE has three Evangelions. Way I see it, if we fight, we're fucked."

"Crude, but I find myself agreeing," Arael replied.

Ramiel nodded. "Understandable, understandable. Rest assured, though I imagine I'm really the only one who cares, Okito Suzuhara will be rescued as soon as the situation allows. And I have my own plans for the Soryu woman. But I imagine you need something concrete. Something that could show you I'm more than just hot air and pretty colors."

"Well, yeah," Arimsael said.

"The entire reason we're here," Ramiel began as he paced around the room "Is because early one night two Evangelions, our great enemies were thrown into Kyoto. Time travelers, beings from an alternate universe? Who knows and who cares? Then they added another one, this distinctly from some divergent reality. Without the Evas we would have won by now. Nothing conventional can stop us. As it stands we're too scared to attack again, worried WILLE might have some new weapon dropped into their lap. What if I told you I discovered a way to harness this mysterious aid for ourselves?"

The room grew quiet.

"How? Dimtri asked.

If Leliel was behind it there was no way she would ever help Ramiel.

"I'm glad you asked," Ramiel replied. "You see it seems our dear friend Leliel has been playing some rather interesting games. Meddling with things even we couldn't dream of."

He motioned to one of his guards. Dimitri braced himself for the worse as the guard tossed a woman into the room. Her limbs were bound and a black bag pulled over her head. She was beaten, her limbs broken in several places.

Ramiel knelt down beside the figure, his eagerness obvious. With a single motion he ripped off the mask, revealing…

"What the fuck?" Arimsael blurted out.

"Gott in Himmel," Arael muttered.

"Well, that's odd," both sides of Israfel said.

Iruel smiled knowingly.

Himari screamed in wordless confused terror. Because the woman beneath the mask was identical to her, save for some bruises and cuts.

"Himari Yamagishi, I'd like you to meet Tsukiko Yamagishi. Yourself from another world. You can call her Leliel if you want."

The room was wrapped in silent shock, save for Tsukiko, who was trying to say something despite being gagged.

Dimitri could barely process what he was seeing. This wasn't Leliel, and yet looking at her she was unmistakably an Angel.

"You see," Ramiel explained feverishly, "Leliel has been doing a lot of traveling to other worlds. Allying with other versions of herself, other Leliels. It's with their help that Leliel brought the Evangelions into our world. And it's with this Leliel's help that we're going to tip things in our favor."

He leaned close to Tsukiko as he ripped out her gag. The rest of the room watching with a mix of confusion and horror.

"Now, Leliel. Tell us what you know of the Yggdrasil tree."

/

The classroom was empty save for Shinji and Kensuke. Asuka and Kodama were out of the room for various reasons.

"Soooo, how was your date with Ayanami?" Kensuke asked.

"It was really great," Shinji replied wishfully. "We were able to figure out Rei's timeline diverged from ours sometimes in the 1970s."

The differences between her world and this one were at once vast and minor. Second Impact in her world pretty much drove humanity to near extinction, left the oceans in ruins, and made everything south of the Tropic of Capricorn uninhabitable. And yet things ultimately followed a similar path. Despite the differences, she was still Rei, just a bit more open and friendly.

It still felt odd that he had been on a date with Rei, even more so that it had actually gone well and they were already making plans for a second one. Shinji never thought any girl, let alone Ayanami, would take that kind of interest in him. It was great, and terrifying.

"Interesting," Aida said. "So, I'm curious, how's Soryu taking this? "

Shinji was confused by the question. "Ahh... She seems fine about it?"

"Uh huh," Kensuke replied skeptically.

"Asuka made it clear we're just friends, nothing more," Shinji replied.

"Yeah, I've been meaning to ask, how the Hell did that happen?" Kensuke snarked. "I mean you do remember the aircraft carrier, right? You were just as horrified as me when she appeared at school. And then Misato made you two wear matching outfits and learn how to play rhythm games. You two were nearly on the edge of killing each other then. How did you go from that to 'friends'?"

"I know, I know," Shinji said. "Asuka's… tough to deal with sometimes. But we have a lot of common ground. And she was there for me when I needed it."

Kensuke raised an eyebrow.

Shinji sighed. "At the very least, I know I can trust her. Which is more than I can say of the Ikari family."

They had lied to him. All three of them had lied completely to him. The wound was still raw for Shinji. He couldn't comprehend how he and Asuka could have ever turned out like that.

"Yeah, I hear you," Kensuke nodded. "Do you remember when things were normal?"

"No," Shinji replied.

"Me neither," Kensuke agreed.

The door opened. Shinji found himself clenching his fist as Ria walked in.

Kensuke tensed up as she walked past him to take her seat.

Shinji couldn't understand it. Ria had lied to them, she nearly killed Misato. And she was rewarded with a pardon, offered a job by the Empress. How did any of that make sense?

Suddenly, Ria sat up straight. Scratching the back of her head

"What...What the heck?" she said, looking around frantically.

"What is it?" Kensuke asked.

Ria opened her mouth to speak, before she could get out a word, the world outside suddenly darkened, day turning to near night in an instant.

Shinji looked outside to see much of the nearby city blanketed in an unnatural blackness. There were no clouds, it was a perfectly sunny day. And yet the sun was not shining on what seemed like an entire block of Kyoto.

"I would suggest backing away from the windows," Ria said, her eyes fixed on the sight.

Shinji retreated back to his desk.

The darkness was replace with a pillar of blinding white light.

It was just like the light he'd seen when Ayanami appeared.

Shinji shielded his eyes as Ria pulled Kensuke away from the windows.

"Duck!" she shouted. Shinji crouched under his desk.

A moment later the windows burst in, showering the room with glass as freakishly cold air rushed into the room. Desks and chairs were thrown freely across the room as the wind howled. Shards of glass ripped at his shirt and pants.

Kensuke screamed in terror.

It felt like the world was ending.

Then the wind died down in an instant, the light vanishing with a loud crack.

Shinji picked himself up and looked himself over. A few minor cuts and his shirt would need to be replaced, but otherwise he was fine.

"Alright what it is this time?" Ria grumbled in annoyance. "I mean we have all three of you now. So what is it? Mr. Suzuhara from a world where he's a Pilot? Mari's mom as an Eva Pilot? My kid from the future as a pilot, you know, to mix it up a bit? A guy version of Asuka or something?"

"What are you talking about?" Shinji asked.

"Oh come on," Ria gestured outside. "That was clearly Leliel or whoever sending another Eva. At least this time she avoided dropping it on my head."

"Except there's no Eva out there," Kensuke said as he stared out the window.

"What?" Ria replied as she rushed towards the broken window.

Shinji followed them, carefully stepping over the jagged shards of glass littering the floor.

The block that had been bathed in darkness then light had been almost completely leveled by the fight with the three Angels. All that had been there a moment ago was construction work. Except that construction was now replaced with full sized buildings and a street clogged with confused drivers. They were not the same buildings that were there before either, they were shorter, and heavily reinforced with concrete and steel, looking more like a fortress then part of a city.

"Well that's...new," Ria said, dumbfounded.

Last edited:
Chapter 15 Part 2
The others were dealing with the city block that had suddenly appeared in in the middle of the city, leaving Ritsuko alone with a far smaller, but an issue she considered far more pressing of transformations.

Sachiel had told the Soryu girl that the Angels used Angelic and Evangelion flesh to fuel their transformation. On the one hand knowing that was extremely useful, but it also raised a great deal of concerns. For starters, if that was the only thing they could use to fuel their transformation, then they shouldn't have had any fuel. All the remaining examples of Angelic remains and failed Evangelions had been transferred to WILLE years ago.

Of course they didn't know for a fact what SEELE had of the Angels, how much was left after they harvested them to make the MP-Evas. It was entirely possible that Bethany, NERV-01, or NERV-03 had lied to them and withheld some of the materials, but that meant this had been going back over a decade. And to have kept it so completely hidden meant a lot of hands involved at high levels. Dr. Akagi was pretty certain Langley was just the tip of the iceberg. Still, that gave her lead. If she carefully poked around the various former NERV facilities, shipping manifests, and else anything surrounding them, she might come up with something.

The knowledge itself would prove to be problematic as well. The Imperial Government would more than likely find out. They couldn't order the Soryu girl to withhold it, after all. And once the Empress learned of it there was a good chance they would want to use it. Having a full sized Angel on their size would be incredibly appealing to someone outside of WILLE.

Ritsuko smashed a smoldering cigarette into a brand new ashtray. It wasn't that she distrusted Zeruel exactly. She had her misgivings to be sure, and both Asuka and Misato were being foolish about this whole incident in their own ways. But she didn't feel comfortable giving that sort of power to anyone, if for no other reason then they had no idea what the other effects might be. Sachiel had eaten people after he transformed. What if that was an unavoidable part of the transformation? Worse, what if it affected her mentally? The last thing they needed was another insane Angel rampaging about.

And they had few ways of stopping the girl if she decided she wanted a chunk of the original Unit-02. Her new position granted the sixteen year old girl a lot of power, in theory. The question remained, what she would do with it?

/

The high school had more or less emptied as the students either evacuated or got as close to the mysterious city block as they could, trying to get a better view of the strange sight.

Misato had naturally sent the Pilots back to WILLE as soon as she could. The past two times this light may have been helpful, but she wasn't going to take any chances.

This whole situation didn't make any sense. The light had sent them Evas before, singular objects. Why would it now send them a freaking city block? And of course this meant one way or another they were more than likely dealing with yet another alternate universe.

Misato sighed. This was exhausting. If it wasn't something new being dropped into their lap it was an Angel attacking, if it wasn't that it was goddamn Ria. She needed a chance to rest, to catch her breath, something.

At least the situation at the moment was contained. The police who first arrived on the scene had been swiftly replaced with Government and WILLE agents. Misato was in a temporary command tent with Sub-Commander Soryu and several government agents. Suzuhara was among those providing security. Asuka kept it professional but her anger had not dissipated in the slightest.

"Okay, we need to start setting up interviews," Misato ordered. "Find out what they know, see if there's any potential threat among them."

The situation inside the block was a mess. Several car accidents had resulted from the event and a small stampede had ensued shortly afterwards. Dozens were getting treated for injuries and they would have to look through each of the buildings to make sure they accounted for everyone.

The buildings were strange, like someone tried to make a fortress out of normal buildings. Misato could only guess what their world must have been through.

Someone entered the tent. Misato immediately tensed up when she realized it was Ria. Rage boiled inside her.

"Get out," she hissed.

"In a moment," Ria said flippantly. "I'm under orders. I'm to check in and see what you're doing and then I'm to screen the 'new arrivals' to make sure they we didn't have any Angels hidden among this group."

Every fiber of Misato's being wanted to reach for her gun right now. Her hand shook at her side. This monster was in the same tent as her and she was powerless to do anything. This Angelshe'd once called family.

Ria was staring her down with a mixture of hatred and self-satisfied amusement. Touji was trying his best not to glare at her while Asuka was glaring at Misato.

"And if you find any Angels, you're going to...what?" Misato questioned.

"You know, a few weeks ago I probably would have tried to kill them out of hand," Ria mockingly admitted. "But if nothing else, you have taught me how badly things can blow up in your face when you rush to judgement."

"Yeah well the past few weeks have shown me that Angels as a rule are liars, so if you find any, don't turn your back towards them," Misato shot back.

"Is what you've descended to?" Asuka sighed. "Trading insults with a teenage girl?"

Misato's anger got the best of her. "You want to keep her in your home, that's your business. But first the school and now this?!"

"Gee, it's like the government took advantage of a stupid situation you created," Ria snarked.

Ria's phone started to ring, making the whole situation both tense and akward.

She pulled out her phone, only to stare at the screen in confusion.

"Why is Kodama calling me?" Ria said as she turned towards Toji.

"She wouldn't," Toji replied, sounding quite confused.

"I'm going to take this," Ria said as she retreated out of the tent.

/

"Hello?" Ria answered as she paced around the tent.

"Oh good, finally!" Kodama's voice came over the phone. "Man, I swear I've been trying to get ahold of someone for hours. So what happened to the city? That weird shadow appeared then the next thing we knew the whole city looked different."

Ria was confused. Kodama was hanging out by the school and even during a situation like this there's no reason she would be talking to her so casually.

"Wait... you were in that city block?" Ria asked.

"Yeah why... oh," Kodama sounded quite worried. "So out of curiosity, when's the last time you saw me?"

"About ten minutes ago, at the school," Ria explained.

"Oh, so I'm in an alternate universe... yeah, it freaking figures I'd be at the receiving end of something like this," Kodama muttered.

So alternate universe Kodama? Ria found herself genuinely surprised and confused. The last time this light had appeared, it had dropped pilots and Evas on them. Now it was dropping Kodama?

"I take it you've dealt with something throwing parts of the multiverse at you as well?" She asked

The alternate Kodama let out a frustrated laugh "Yeah, yeah. I..look, is there anyway you can have someone meet me outside the department store? I need someone to talk to in private. There's some things I have to explain..."

"Yeah, sure. Uhh, stay safe..." Ria replied.

"You do the same," Kodama replied as she hung up.

Kodama's words troubled Ria. What could she have to explain?

Ria made her way past the barricade and into the city from another universe. Pushing her way past throngs of scared people, confined to this one block as WILLE tried desperately to figure out what to do with them.

Whatever this universe had been through, it had been harsh. The street showed signs of old battle scars, extensive damage that had been patched at different times. Even the stores looked like bunkers.

She found Kodama outside of the store. She waved excitedly at her as she approached. Ria smiled, it was nice to have a Kodama friendly with her again, even if it wasn't the Kodama she'd known.

That brief moment of joy turned to horror as Ria got closer to Kodama and saw the look in her eyes.

This Kodama was an Angel.

They both took a step back, neither really liking what they saw.

"So here you're one of... interesting," Kodama said hesitantly.

Ria gave her a measured look. Attacking would be stupid, but she didn't have much in the way of trust right now. Imaging what Kodama must have been like as an Angel was strange. Really she should be an entirely different person, but so far she seemed somewhat similar.

"It would be better if we spoke inside. Kyoko is waiting for us," Kodama gestured towards the door.

"...Who's Kyoko?" Ria asked.

Kodama just stared at her awkwardly, dumbstruck by what she said.

Ria followed her in.

The store was in wild disarray, with shelves turned over and clothes scattered about the floor. The power was out save for emergency lighting.

Standing inside was a girl who at first glance Ria though was the younger Pilot Asuka, but... not. She had brown hair and was a tiny bit shorter, but the resemblance otherwise was frightening.

The two stared at each other with distrust. This Asuka look-alike was an Angel as well. Her fists were clenched tightly at her side.

Two unknown Angels. Ria had just walked into a room with two different freaking Angels.

"Ria, this is Kyoko Ikari. Kyoko, this is Ria," Kodama introduced her, trying to defuse the situation.

Ria stared blankly at the girl. "What."

"Your sister," Kodama added, as if that would explain it.

"I don't have one of those," Ria said slowly, her brain trying to process what she just heard.

So she had a sister, from an alternate universe, who was another Angel like herself. She really didn't know how to react to this. She had never even thought about having a sibling. She felt numb to the whole situation.

"Kyoko Misato Ikari," Kyoko grunted in annoyance. "I told you, Koda, that I want people to call me by my middle name."

Her voice did have the slightest hint of a German accent.

"...Your middle name is Misato," Ria said, dumbfound by the irony.

"Yeah," the new girl replied briskly.

Ria stifled a half-crazed laugh.

"What?" Kyoko growled.

"Nothing, nothing," Ria replied dismissively, waving her hand. "I'm Ria Soryu by the way."

They weren't hostile yet. And the light had always sent someone helpful. But Ria still found herself on edge.

"So before any of us start trying to kill each other, let me address the obvious elephant in the room..." Kodama began.

"Which Angel are you?" Kyoko questioned harshly.

"Ehh?" Ria replied.

"Which Angel are you? Because if you're that Arschloch Arael I need to know, now," Kyoko was hovering on the edge of anger.

"Calm down," Kodama chastised her.

"No no, it's a fair point," Ria interrupted. "I'm not Arael, I assure you."

She couldn't fault her. And at least she was showing concern for their mother.

"Oh good," Kodama said in relief.

"I'm Zeruel, if you must know," Ria added.

"Oh... not good," Kodama replied.

Judging by the angry expression building on Kyoko's face, telling the truth may have not been the smartest move.

Kyoko's eyes turned red.

"I'm going to kill you!" she roared as she lunged towards Ria.

Last edited:
People from Other Universes
Okay, Seriously? Could somebody put a chart up to keep track of who's from what dimension? This has gotten just a little bit overboard.
Can Do.

Basically the Past
Pilot Asuka Langley Soryu.
Pilot Shinji Ikari

Rebuild of Evangelion Universe
Rei Ayanami

New Universe
Kodama "Koda" Suzuhara (Sachiel)
Kyoko Misato "Mia" Ikari (Gaghiel)
Tsukiko Yamagishi (Leliel)

Last edited:
Chapter 15 Part 3
Kyoko's attack caught Ria off guard, slamming her to the ground as Kyoko wrapped her hands around Ria's neck.

There was hatred in her supposed sister's red eyes, hatred that would put even Misato to shame.

Ria swung her left fist at Kyoko's head, putting as much force as she could behind it. Only for Kyoko's mouth to open impossibly wide, her jaw full of far too many razor sharp teeth.

With one furious bite, Ria's hand disappeared. White hot pain shot through what remained of her left arm.

Enraged, Ria pushed her AT-Field as hard as she could. The field flared bright orange, throwing Kyoko back into the wall.

Ria stood up, clutching her bleeding stump, her eyes blazing red.

Kodama rushed in between the two of them, her arms extended out. Her hands morphed into blackened claws.

'Sachiel,' Ria realized with horror.

"Calm down!" she shouted. "Everyone just calm down!"

She then turned towards Kyoko. "Are you out of your mind?!"

"She's Zeruel!" Kyoko spat as she picked herself up. "For all we know she killed my parents in this universe!"

"I would never betray my family!" Ria barked.

"She's not the Zeruel we fought," Kodama insisted. "Don't throw your life away fighting someone who could be our ally."

Kyoko hesitated, her eyes turning back to their normal blue.

Kodama turned towards Ria.

"We've suffered a great deal from Zeruel in our universe," Kodama feverishly explained. "Kyoko more so. We're not against WILLE or NERV or whatever human organization you have here."

"You're Sachiel," Ria stated angrily.

Kodama grew nervous. "Yeah."

"Okito is Sachiel here," Ria said.

"Oh g-good," Kodama stammered. "My soul in the body of a dumbass."

Despite the situation, Ria smirked slightly.

"Who do you fight for?" She asked, her eyes still glowing.

"Our families. Our Lilin families," Kodama insisted.

"Same," Ria lowered her guard.

Kodama sighed in relief.

"How do we know you're not lying?" Kyoko asked, her shirt stained with blood.

Kodama glared at the girl in desperate frustration

"Could you not?" she shouted.

"Dare I ask which Angel she is?" Ria asked as she gave Kyoko a measured look.

She didn't want to trust them. The very idea of there being an Evil Zeruel, even if it wasn't her exactly, deeply offended her. Yet Kodama was acting completely different than Okito. And Kyoko's fear and anger seemed real.

"Gaghiel, so feel free to call her a stupid fish if you want," Kodama replied.

She paused, looking introspective for a moment.

"On that note," she went on, "what does your Gaghiel look like?"

"Err, older, almost twenty judging by her looks. Dark skin. Was apparently working with Leliel. Why do you ask?" Ria replied.

Suddenly both Kodama and Kyoko looked very interested.

"And you haven't seen them recently, right?" Kyoko asked.

"No, only saw them once a few weeks ago."

The two other Angels stared at each other before nodding in silent agreement.

Kodama spoke "I think your Gaghiel is in our world."

/

Ria stepped into the Command Tent, blood and dirt coating part of her shirt. She kept her left hand buried in her pocket.

Asuka rushed towards her, worry filling her mind.

"I'm fine," Ria said dismissively. "I had some... miscommunication with some of the new arrivals at first but we sorted it out."

"Miscommunication?" Misato questioned, eyebrow raised.

Ria pulled her left arm out of her pocket.

Asuka was sickened and horrified.

Ria's left hand was completely gone, bitten off at the wrist. Anyone else would be screaming in agony right now.

One of the government offices nearly heaved at the sight.

"That's one hell of a miscommunication," Touji commented dryly.

"Who did this to you?!" Asuka about screamed as she grabbed the arm.

"Mom, it's fine," Ria insisted absurdly.

"Your hand is gone!" Asuka replied.

"It will grow back, I just need some food," Ria said before turning towards Misato. "Now before we begin. The people I'm going to bring in here in a moment, they're under my protection. Unless they start attacking someone, in which case put them down hard, you can't harm them."

"You're bringing in Angels?" Touji was dismayed.

"You can't do that," Misato replied bluntly.

Ria simply glared at her, the ghost of a smug smile upon her face. "Do you really want to contest that? Because I'm sure the Empress will agree with me."

Misato scowled deeply. "...Fine. Bring them in."

Ria disappeared out of the tent. A couple of minutes later conversation could be heard.

"Now, if I even think for a moment you're going to try anything, and I mean anything funny," Ria said, "I will retrieve my hand through your nose!"

Ria stepped, her remaining hand wrapped tightly around a girl. The girl was dressed in a blood soaked school uniform. She looked remarkably like Asuka's younger self did.

The girl stared at Misato in abject shock. Unable to say anything.

Ria disappeared for a moment, returning with Kodama of all people. Only there was something implacably different about her.

"Kodama?" Toji couldn't hide his shock.

Kodama turned towards him. "Oh hey, you're here. That's neat."

"Misato's alive," the other girl mumbled.

Kodama turned around and about jumped back at the sight of Misato.

"Wow," Kodama said. "You're still alive here. That's...different."

"Turns out we had a third universe dumped on us," Ria explained to the confused room. "These two are from that universe. This Kodama Suzuhara and Kyoko Ikari."

"You can call me Koda if you want," Kodama added.

"I told you to call me by my-" Kyoko began.

"Yeah, not doing that," Ria interrupted, an amused smirk on her face.

The girl fumed. "You could call me 'Mia' at least."

Ria rolled her eyes. "She's apparently my alternate self's sister."

Asuka's brain struggled to process what she just heard.

Sister? That would mean this girl was her daughter. Or at least the daughter of her alternate self. This multiverse stuff was giving her a damn migraine.

And her last name was Ikari. That meant…

Kyoko gave Asuka a sympathetic look.

"And I take both of them are Angels?" Toji said, a wave of emotions washing over his face.

Misato tensed up. Her hand reaching for her pistol. Ria had just stuck them in the room with two other Angels. One of who was the sister of one of the most irrational and dangerous Angels they had dealt with.

Asuka realized she now technically had two daughters who were both Angels. Because of course she would. Why would she ever have normal children?

"Yes but we actually have IQs above room temperature," Kodama insisted. "We actually legitimately work for WILLE. Well, our WILLE."

"You expect me to believe any version of me would even consider allying with one of your kind?" Misato growled.

"Well, you didn't," Kodama replied sullenly. "The Misato Katsuragi of our universe was killed in the opening moments of the war, after Zeruel suddenly appeared and leveled most the HQ pyramid. The Asuka of our world made us part of WILLE after we stopped the second attack by Shamshel."

Admittedly that is more or less exactly what Asuka would have done with Ria in that situation.

Misato glared harshly at Ria. An angry humorless smile growing on her face.

"Not her," Kodama clarified as she held her hands in front of her. "The Ria of our universe is actually human. This Zeruel is a man, well, a boy of seventeen. It sounds like we've in the same sort of situation. Only we're dealing with someone far more direct than Ramiel."

Ria grumbled. The alternate Kodama's words left her upset.

"Look," Kyoko stepped back into the conversation. "We never intended to be dropped here. I honestly don't know why we were taken here. But it's clear you have enough on your plate and don't want to deal with anymore of our kind. I get that. So just point us to Leliel and we'll be on our way."

"You know it was Leliel behind this?" Asuka questioned.

"Well, yeah," Kyoko replied with a shrug. "I mean they're not subtle. And we just had people sent to our universe. Including your Gaghiel. Ria says you had full Evangelions sent here. Who else could it be?"

"We... strongly suspected it was Leliel," Asuka said. "But she denied it flat out."

If Gaghiel was in their universe. It would explain why she had been so casual about meeting Ria.

"Well, she's lying," Kodama stated the obvious. "So I take it getting into contact with her won't be easy?"

"No," Ria admitted. "Only saw her once. And we pretty much told the Pilots they would probably be stuck here for the rest of their lives."

Both Koda and Kyoko look sickened by the prospect, Kyoko was nearly reduced to tears.

"That does put you in a bit of a tough situation," Ria said. "Misato here is well... hostile to any Angel. Regardless of their intention. I'm surprised she hasn't started clawing at the walls."

Misato grunted.

Kodama stared at Ria in confusion. "But... you're here."

"Not by my choice," Misato stated bluntly.

"I work for the Imperial Government," Ria stated.

"After you tried to kill me," Misato said harshly.

Kyoko was horrified.

"After you tried to kill me!" Ria snapped. "Which you did immediately after I stopped Okito from painting the walls with your insides, you ungrateful bitch!"

The two glared at each other.

Kodama buried her head in her hands. Kyoko looked increasingly shocked and horrified.

"Can we not do this again?!" Asuka shouted, trying to prevent the situation from descending into chaos.

Ria and Misato paced around the room, Ria shaking her head in frustration as Misato rubbed her forehead.

"So what do we do?" Kodama asked nervously. "We have no way of getting back. We don't really exist here and it sounds like most of WILLE wants to kill us. We kind of need options here beyond 'Lay down and die'."

Ria spoke up quickly "I have a deal with the Empress. If you agree to help me fight the other Angels I'm certain I can have the same deal extended to you. We should be able to track down Leliel together."

Ria seemed eager for allies. And it did seem a sensible offer.

Kodama was considering it, but Kyoko seemed skeptical.

"So I have to risk my life fighting a war that's not mine for a chance that maybe I might find a way home eventually?" Kyoko asked.

"We don't exactly have a lot of options," Koda pointed out.

Kyoko wrapped her brown hair around her fingers. "I know, I know. It's just... this isn't our fight. This isn't our home. Why should we risk our lives fighting for them? If we die here, our family is just as screwed as if we're stuck here."

"A fair point," Misato said suddenly. All eyes shifting towards her.

Asuka was caught off guard. She had fully expected Misato to just seethe the rest of the meeting.

"I don't pretend to trust you," she went on. "But you're right. You don't have any stake in this one way or another. You and I have never actually come into conflict. So I'll make a deal of my own. You agree to keep your head down and stay out of this conflict, and I'll make sure you have room and board and when Leliel appears next I promise you I'll do everything in my power to make her send you back."

Asuka was dumbstruck. Misato, the woman who declared an extermination order against the Angels, was now offering two of them a deal? Asuka was at once enraged and confused.

Ria exploded in a howl of anger before storming out of the tent. Cursing in German and Japanese.

Koda looked around awkwardly. "Err, thanks for the offer. I really do appreciate it. But I think I'm gonna take Ria up on her offer."

She exchanged an awkward look with Toji. For a moment she nearly said something to him but she instead followed Ria outside.

Kyoko stood there, griped by uncertainty.

"Err, is it okay if I take a few minutes to consider?" she asked nervously.

"Take your time," Misato said with a small nod.

Kyoko bowed. "Thank you."

Asuka watched as the girl left the tent.

"So just to be clear. You're giving two girls we've known for five minutes more trust than you showed my daughter?!" she snapped at Misato. "Your granddaughter?!"

"Yes. Whatever else they may have done, they haven't directly tried to kill any of us," Misato said evenly.

Asuka couldn't believe what she was hearing. Dismayed and enraged, she left the tent.

Last edited:
The Ikari Era: Part 2
And because I'm a madman. Here's more of the Ikari era.
/

20 Years After Third Impact.

A Coup against a democratic government is always problematic. No matter how well intentioned the coup or how corrupt the democracy, it's still crossing a line that can never be uncrossed. For the voting public it means they find themselves running the risk of their voice being ignored or overturned. Making many of them either angry, or apathetic to politics in general. And for the rulers, there's always the temptation to cross that line again.

The new constitution was a mixed bag, eliminating many of the restrictions the old government had placed on voting rights and allowed many banned parties back onto the ballot. The constitution also granted sweeping, but far from unrestricted powers to the Emperor himself. In theory this was only suppose to be a safety net, a way of preventing something like the last government from happening. Indeed Shinji's biggest priority during the constitutional convention was making sure the Imperial Household Agency was defanged and placed directly under his control, to ensure the Government never interfered with his family life again. At first everything looked like it would be okay.

Then came the disaster that was the first election. Low voter turnout led to a three way tie between bitter remnants of the old government, the unexpectedly resurgent Constitutionalists, and the heavily Church of Lilith influenced Royal Faction. The three groups hated each other, for months the government ground to a halt, nothing was accomplished. Until, at his wife's suggestion, the Emperor stepped in. Unfortunately setting a trend for the next ten years.

/

"Earlier today the Imperial Diet voted to dissolve itself and called for new elections. The Prime Minister citing continued refusal by the Royal Faction to cooperate on any real level with coalition government as the main reason for this drastic action. Though new polls show that the Royal faction may gain seats in the Diet in the next election, two months from now."

Asuka shut off the TV with a grunt of annoyance. She hated the Royal Faction. They were easy to manipulate sure.But they were fanatics who saw Shinji as some sort of God, which made things horrifically uncomfortable any time they dealt with them.

Still, Asuka was rather pleased at the moment. The gap before the elections gave her the perfect opportunity to have Shinji enact some desperately needed reforms.

Shinji had no taste for politics, even after he had been given actual power. If he could he would retire to somewhere in the German countryside and open up a music school. Which actually did sound pretty nice now that she thought of it.

But Shinji's general disdain for politics lead to many saying, in private of course, though Asuka always hears the whispers, that she was the real power before the throne. More than once the term "Soryu Shogunate" had been thrown around. Disdainfully, of course. Traditionalists weren't exactly thrilled to have a woman who's barely one quarter Japanese by blood as the Emperor's wife, let alone have any sort of power.

Shinji wasn't her puppet though. Sure he mostly went along with her suggestions and left most of the heavy political lifting to her, but he was his own man. She never forced him to agree with anything she suggested. Frankly, she wasn't even sure she could do that, either politically or to the husband who was one of the few people around her she actually liked. And honestly, the current set up suited both of them just fine. Asuka had discovered she had a bit of a taste for politics in the years she since she was forced into this position.

Shinji entered the bedroom, looking profoundly unhappy.

"I suppose it's too much to ask to get out of this dinner?" he whined tiredly.

"Yeah, the Emperor not appearing at a State Dinner at the last minute, that's not going to cause a scene," Asuka snarked.

"I just…" he sighed. "It's just there's going to the speech, and having to meet and place nice with the Ambassadors and the Prime Minister is going to be there and I really just hate that man."

"Touji and Hikari are going to be there to." Asuka pointed out "Me and Misato pulled a lot of strings to get them there."

"And I'm going to be able to have maybe five words with them," Shinji said in dismay. "But...yeah, it will be nice to see them."

They were isolated from almost everyone they ever knew, save for Misato. At first the Government kept them separate from almost everyone, and after the Coup there was simply no time. Thankfully they had each other and the girls or this life would be horrifically lonely.

/

Today was at once a good day and a terrifying day for Crown Princess Ria. By sheer luck she had no homework today, no private tutor, she was free until the dinner later that day. The dinner was itself a rather daunting prospect.

She was heir, the second of her dynasty. She wouldn't have the hero worship her father had, no. People would be far more critical of her. And she had reached the age where things were starting to be expected of her. She would have to take a more active role soon. It wasn't that she didn't want that role. She was not one to shrink away from her duties and political power certainly had it's appeal. But there was always that lingering fear. That the world wouldn't see as good enough be her father's heir. If she messed up at this dinner, there would be whispers.

Of course she was rather looking forward to other parts of the dinner, quite a few people she wanted to talk to. Though one of them she was a bit hesitant about.

"So I get why I have to go," her sister Kyoko said as she stood in the doorway. "But why do I have to talk to people?"

Ria looked up from her computer. "Well, you don't have to. I mean it's helpful, very helpful. Making friends and building alliances now could pay off 50 years down the road, and so on."

"Oh is that what you're doing with the Interior Minister's daughter. 'Building alliances'?" Kyoko teased.

Ria glared at her. Kyoko was two years her junior, a small, thin thing who looked like a smaller version of their mother. It would be so easy to just pick her up and throw her out of the room. And right now that was pretty tempting.

But then one of the staff or security would see it, tell their mother and then it was lecture time.

"Besides why do I need to build alliances?" Kyoko asked. "You're the heir."

"The only way I'm having kids is through a sperm donor or medical science advances considerably in the two decades, and that's if I can have kids at all. Odds are you are going to be Empress after me." Ria explained.

Kyoko sighed, clearly not thrilled about the prospect.

"Yeah, yeah... So, you know Okito is going to be there as well," Kyoko said as she checked to make sure no one was nearby.

Ah yes, Okito. That would be interesting.

"I'm pretty sure he's up to something," Kyoko said quietly.

"Ehh, he's harmless," Ria said dismissively. "Well, I mean mostly harmless."

The grand irony of Ikari dynasty: The Hero-Emperor's two daughters were both Angels reincarnated. Ria was once the Angel of Might, Zeruel, while Kyoko was Gaghiel, the Angel of Fish. (Though at times, Ria felt Gaghiel's other title of 'The Roaring Beast of God' was more appropriate, usually when she was mad at her sister.) Of course the only people who knew that were other Angels. The War was over, they had lost. Ria and Kyoko had made their peace with it. Ending up as Princesses certainly made it easier to accept, too.

They had only encountered a few of the other Angels, security made any sort of meeting rare and very brief. Having had a chance meeting with Matarael a few years ago and Ria was pretty sure she saw another Angel in a crowd not two months ago. Okito was the one they had the most interaction with. Though that wasn't saying much; they'd spoken to him maybe a dozen times in their entire life, at best. He seemed a decent enough guy, but Kyoko always had her doubts about him.

Personally Ria thought she was being absurd, ADAM was gone. What possible harm could any of the Angels really do now?

/

"You have the incredibly rare opportunity to talk to both Zeruel and Gaghiel, and you're wasting it?!" Ramiel sounded beyond frustrated.

Okito clutched his phone tightly "One wrong move could ruin this whole plan. We need Zeruel on our side. We get her and we've won. But we have decades to prepare. Her recruitment needs to be handled with tact and subtlety. The last thing we need is to go off half cocked and ruin everything."

"Fair enough," Ramiel muttered in agreement before hanging up.

Okito shook his head. He liked Ramiel, but sometimes he really didn't think things through.

He sat in his room and he thought about the night ahead. The party would be all about improving bonds. Being more than just a stranger to them, hopefully he could get at least one of them to see him as a friend.

Okito shook his head in disgust. Manipulating another Angel like that, it wasn't right. But they didn't have any other options. The two proved very hard to get in private contact with normally. And they were far too important to ignore. If they brought Zeruel into the fold, all of Japan would be theirs.

Of course if they somehow turned her against them, they would be completely screwed. So no pressure there.

Chapter 15 Part 4
Ria paced at the edge of the line between the two cities, her feet stomping the warped pavement as she stared at the fortress buildings.

This was more than likely the result of that universe's Zeruel. They rebuilt this way because they feared them.

She turned away from the sight, staring at her left hand. She had regrown it, but it looked off; there were no crease lines in the palm yet and her fingerprints were jagged and strange. That might cause her complications.

She tentatively flexed it a few times. At least it moved normally.

"So... your grandmother is... a bit of an asshole," Ria turned to see Koda approaching.

"She's not my grandmother," Ria declared. "Not anymore, anyways," she added more quietly.

Seeing this alternate version of Kodama gave her considerably mixed feelings. She reminded Ria so much of the better days with Okito. And yet, he had hurt her so much she was scared to trust Koda. And then there was the Zeruel of her universe, someone who was seemingly just as bad as Ramiel if not worse. That ate at Ria.

"So, I'm curious. Who else did Leliel drag here?" Koda asked in a clear attempt to shift topics.

"Well, there's younger Shinji and Asuka. They're either from the past or a functionally identical alternate. Then there's Ayanami, who's from a similar but different universe. Plus their Evas," Ria answered.

Kodama nodded. "Ahh. Besides your Gaghiel we also got our own younger Asuka and Shinji. Though without the Evangelions. Well, I mean technically they do have them, but their EVAs were just personal weapons shaped by their own will. Which they used to fight people possessed by Angels while also attending a Catholic School where Misato taught."

Ria raised an eyebrow.

"I know, I know," Koda shrugged. "It's weird but they were pretty good at fighting Angels on the ground. And probably understand this whole Multiverse thing better than I do. Though that left me as the only one who could actually fight the others when they transformed. I mean Kyoko can help when they attacked near the ocean but otherwise she's kind of a sitting target. All she can do full-size on land is flop around."

"Yeah I haven't really fought at that level," Ria replied. "So far I've just beaten up Shamshel and got into two fights with Okito."

"So..." Koda said awkwardly, "Is Okito still alive?"

Ria nodded. "He's alive. Though he's being held by WILLE and he's missing most of his limbs."

"And the Kodama of this universe is…"

"Absolutely miserable and hates my guts with a passion now," Ria explained with a sad twist of her lips.

"Ahh," Kodama muttered. "That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Took my parents quite a while to come around and Okito's still wary of me. You, well, the alternate you were awesome, though. I seriously don't know what I would have done without you."

Ria nodded sympathetically. "I know what you mean. Without my parents and my girlfriend, I don't know what I'd do."

"Huh," Koda muttered, looking slightly confused.

"Does it bug you?" Ria asked. "That the Sachiel of this universe did something so horrible?"

"Well, yeah," Koda said. "But It's not like it was me. I didn't go and start a war. I fought to stop it."

"But it still kind of was you. I mean Okito has the same soul as you."

"Ohhh, I get it," Kodama started nodding "You're upset because by the fact that Zeruel in our world is evil, even if he isn't a Ria."

Ria clenched her new hand as she stared at Kodama. "I was the Might of God. His unwavering might. My loyalty to him was beyond question. He gave up on the war, he allowed them to win. I don't understand how any version of my soul could betray him like that."

Kodama smiled sympathetically. "Just out of curiosity. How much do you think you inherited, personality wise, from your past self?"

Ria considered carefully. "My anger, my loyalty, my honor and a tendency to be a sadist when I'm fighting."

She was trying to work on that last one.

"And tell me. Do you still want to be a writer and try to flirt with nearly every girl you see in this universe?" Koda asked with a smirk.

"Well, not so much the latter since me and Mari started getting serious, but yeah," Ria agreed.

Kodama sighed. "What we were, it doesn't really define us that much. The Ria I knew is pretty much the same as you, and she's human. We are not Angels in human bodies, we are humans with the souls of Angels. It's an important distinction. Zeruel was an animal, you are so much more. We are beings of nurture far more than anything else. "

That...No, that wasn't right. That couldn't be right. She was Ria first, sure, but she was also Zeruel. The two were interconnected. She could not be one without the other. She was an Angel. But the Ria of her world was almost just like her. If what Koda said was true, the parts of her that were different, particularly her loyalty to Adam, were just childish fantasies.

Kodama winced, not having meant to cause such pain. For a moment she extended her hand, trying to offer her comfort. But after a moment's hesitation, she pulled it back.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean…j-just consider what I said," Kodama stuttered.

/

Asuka watched as Kyoko sat in folding chair.

'No...Mia, she wants to be called Mia,' Asuka reminded herself.

Asuka wasn't sure how to feel about her... alternate daughter. She was almost certainly the one who had wounded Ria. Which she would be far more angry about if Ria hadn't basically shrugged it off.

She wasn't her daughter, not exactly. Mia had memories of her, but Asuka had no memories of Mia. Which made this all the more awkward.

The idea of having another kid didn't upset her. Even if it seemed more than likely they would have been an Angel as well. But Shinji is the only person she would have ever had a kid with, and that wasn't an option until recently.

Asuka approached Mia.

Mia turned, looking at her with exhausted eyes.

"I'm not going to pull the whole 'You're not my mom' thing. You're her but not quite. It's just I have a family I need to get back to," Mia explained.

Asuka nodded. "I know."

"It's not that I don't think any of this place. And I know grand…Misato," Mia corrected herself. "Is just using the situation for some sort of gain. But I just don't want to risk myself for this fight. The fight back home is hard enough."

"I'm not asking you to fight," Asuka gently assured her. "You're a kid and you don't have any stake in this."

Sure she could help. But she was a kid longer than Ria. And ultimately it wasn't her fight. Asuka just wished her staying out didn't depend on Misato's obvious attempt at trying to assert some autonomy from the Empress.

"Oh, thanks," Mia said, surprised. "I'll go tell Misato I accept her offer. Unless you want to talk first. "

"I actually do," Asuka admitted. "You're last name is Ikari? So that means Shinji and I in your world are married?"

Mia nodded "Yeah. Is Dad dead here or something?"

"No, no, he's alive," Asuka assured her. "We just never got married and we kind of drifted apart a few years after Ria was born. Though we did get back together recently."

"Huh," Mia said. "Well that explains why I don't exist here."

"Were you happy?" Asuka asked, her curiosity getting the best of her.

"Well, I mean things recently have been a bit awful, but yeah. I mean you and dad were far from perfect, but we had a happy life. You took me being an Angel so well, even after everything that had happened."

Tears welled in Mia's eyes as she laughed slightly.

"Of course the morning after I told everyone. Ria thought it would be hilarious to toss a model battleship at my face," she said.

"Why would she throw..." It took Asuka a moment to understand the implications. "Ohh, I get it."

"So how did it go with Ria?" Mia asked.

"We found out as she and Okito fought. It was challenging at first, but we accepted her. We are her parents, there's nothing else we could have done," Asuka explained.

"Sorry gra- Misato turned out to be a racist," Mia muttered.

Asuka grunted in frustration. Mia edged away slightly

"Right, sorry. Sore subject, got it."

"It's not that." Asuka sighed "It's just...goddamn that woman. If she just pulled her head out of the sand and stopped trying to pick a fight with the one Angel who's trying to help, we would be a lot better off."

Mia nodded.

Asuka tried to think of a way to change the subject. An idea hit her.

"So, I'm almost certain Misato's pardon will not allow you and Ria to live in the same building," she said. "But what would you say to joining the family for a night out next week?"

She wasn't really her daughter. But Asuka still felt some sort of obligation to her. At the very least she should be treated as part of the family as long as she was here.

Mia perked up. "That sounds awesome."

"It would be me, Shinji, and Ria. You can play nice with Ria right?"

Mia sighed in annoyance. "Yeah, yeah. I just overreacted. Sorry."

"Just don't let it happen again. Ria's got a temper," Asuka warned her.

/

"You are many things," Ritsuko said once they were back in her office, "But I've never taken you for that much of a hypocrite."

Misato glared at her, but she couldn't deny her point. Making that deal with Kyoko had sickened her.

'I hate this. I hate what've become,' Misato realized.

"If I did nothing we would have had two Angels aligned with Ria. At very least we've shown we won't let Angels and the misguided run over us," she argued.

Frowning, Ritsuko conceded the point.

Misato went over the situation Leliel had sent them three Evas and now two Angels. They would have never seen this coming without her. Whatever agenda Leliel had, so far it wasn't horrible.

But why did it send the Angels? What could have gained by sending an entire city block and two Angels who had no stake in this fight?

It was a question Misato had no answer to.

"Any results back from the tests?" Misato asked, trying to put her mind on other things.

They'd run dozens of tests on Okito. Something must have stuck out by now.

Ritsuko stared at her emotionlessly. "Nothing conclusive. We've had a few tests that indicated we might be able to develop a way of testing someone to see if they're an Angel or not but it was impossible to tell if the chemical differences we were seeing were just quirk's of Sachiel's biology or indicators of an Angel in general. With the new arrivals, I'll be able to establish a good baseline."

That was good news. If they could actually find a way to detect the angels they could probably send them running.

"Talk with Asuka," Misato said "She might be able to help you get blood samples from the alternate Kodama."

'And Ria,' Misato thought but couldn't say. Ritsuko had been hesitant to do any tests on Ria.

Ritsuko nodded.

"There is something else you should know..." Akagi added. "I believe Sachiel is experiencing some form of mental deterioration. He's talking and screaming at someone who isn't there."

Well, that was concerning. An insane Angel was an even more dangerous Angel.

"Is he spouting out nonsense or is he talking to anyone in particular?" Misato asked

"No one's actually there. We would know if he had some sort of wire on him," Ritsuko said.

"I know that," Misato sighed, "But who does he think he's talking to?"

"Adam."

/

Naturally the news of an entire city block being dumped into the world created quite the buzz among the Angels.

"That wasn't you, was it?" Shamshel asked.

Ramiel shook his masked head "No. That was the desperate flailing of this world's Leliel. We will strike with something far grander," Ramiel assured her.

The mood was shifting. Those previously on the fence seemed to be swayed by promise of power and the knowledge of what Leliel was.

Dimitri was in a panic. This was bad, this was very, very bad. The balance of power had been too badly thrown off. Leliel had brought forth three Evas. If this Leliel could grant the same sort of power to Ramiel, he could easily achieve everything he wanted.

Dimitri, despite his fears, knew he had to do something and soon. Killing Ramiel would be the quickest option, but if he failed he was dead. And there was a reasonable chance he would fail.

"So when are we going to rescue Okito?" Shamshel asked.

"Soon, soon," Ramiel replied.

The answer didn't satisfy Shamshel in the slightest and she left in a huff.

Ramiel turned his attention towards Arael. "So, do I have your support?"

The robed Angel stared at Ramiel. His face neutral. "Conditionally, yes. You have shown us power, but I have seen little to convince me that you will not squander it."

Ramiel nodded, "Fair is fair. Would you be willing to participate in one mission at least?"

"Perhaps," Arael replied. "Tell me more of the mission."

Ramiel gestured him to follow into a nearby room, with some hesitation Arael followed him.

The best option would be to remove this other Leliel from Ramiel's control, Dimitri realized.

It would both remove Ramiel's advantage and thoroughly undermine his credibility. But that Leliel was locked up in some other part of bunker. He would have to find her, and then break her out and somehow get to Zeruel and her family. At the very least that would make it incredibly difficult for Ramiel to reclaim her. Of course the first two parts of the plan would more than likely end in bitter failure. But Dimitri didn't see any other way to stop this.

He had to stop Ramiel, no matter the cost.

Quietly, Dimitri slipped back into his quarters, and furiously began to plan.

Chapter 16 Part 1
Chapter 16: Small Steps

Breakfast at the Ikari-Soryu residence (as much as a hotel room qualified) was a quiet affair. The loudest noise coming from Ria writing in a small notebook.

"What are you writing anyways?" Shinji asked as he finished the last of his food.

"Just notes for what I need to do today." Ria replied, still looking at the pad. "How long do you think I should spend at WILLE today? Six hours? Eight hours? They haven't really given me guidelines on what to do. Problem with being answerable only to the Empress, I don't have anyone telling me how to do my job yet."

"Well, what do you need or want to do at WILLE?" Asuka asked, focusing intently on the discussion.

Ria looked through her notes, flipping between pages. "For starters, I definitely need to talk to Ms.Kirishima about possibly getting a chance to inspect the T-RIDEN-T candidates, see if any of them are Angels. Then I need to test my patrol path, see if it is as quick as I think it is. Then I want to do an inspection of vital areas, make sure there's no hidden trace of Iruel…"

Ria trailed off, tapping her pen against the table.

"Maybe wait on that one. That would look incredibly suspect. Ease into the more heavy stuff. I don't actually want to provoke anyone into trying to kill me. Not that they probably could, but it would be annoying."

"Speaking of which," Shinji spoke up, "I should probably come with you for the first day."

"Ehh?" Ria was confused "Why would you do that?"

'Because I want to make sure no one tries to give you hell,' is what Shinji wanted to say. But that overprotectiveness probably wouldn't have helped.

"To make sure Misato doesn't use your behavior as evidence of you plotting something nefarious," he replied

"Ahh, that actually makes a lot of sense," Asuka agreed.

"Just the one time right?" Ria asked.

Shinji nodded.

"Sounds fine by me then," she replied. "We'll be done by 5 at the latest. Promised Koda I would take her on a tour of the city. Figured I'd introduce her to Mari as well."

Asuka and Shinji exchanged a look.

"And how late do you intend to keep Mari?" Asuka asked.

"Oh, come on, really?" Ria groaned "Are we seriously doing this?"

"You're a teenager, so yes," Asuka deadpanned.

"You were seventeen when you got pregnant," her daughter retorted.

"And I was a stupid teenager back then, not a strong argument," her mother shot right back.

"Look," Shinji interjected, "We just don't want you to rush things with Mari more than you already are."

Ria nodded, thankfully understanding what they were trying to do.

"I don't want to spoil things with Mari either," she replied. "Just... have a little bit faith in me on this?"

"Okay, just be home by 11pm," Shinji said.

"Alone," Asuka added.

"Fine," Ria sighed.

"That reminds me," Asuka turned towards Shinji "You need to call Misato, errr, Kyoko... Mia. You know what I mean."

"I already did," Shinji replied.

Nothing like having a conversation with your 14 year old daughter who just appeared that day from some completely alternate reality.

That he and Asuka were married in that reality had given Shinji quite a bit to think about.

"Yeah, I know but someone should check in on her. Make sure she's okay," Asuka said.

"Can we not call her Mia?" Ria protested.

"We're not calling her Misato," Asuka said. "And she hates being called Kyoko."

"Yeah, but she's one letter off from my name. She's stealing my name," Ria declared.

Asuka sighed. "She is not stealing your name, she was just unoriginal with shortening hers, okay?"

"Why don't we just call her Misato Ikari?" Shinji suggested. "No confusion, and she gets what she wants."

'Awkward but probably workable,' Shinji thought.

"I can live with it," Ria said.

Asuka nodded. "Same here."

/

The strangest part of Asuka's morning wasn't the fact that at breakfast she sat meters away from a penguin, or that said penguin was reading a newspaper. It was the fact that she was seeing Wondergirl every morning and she didn't hate it.

Oh sure, it annoyed her intensely the way Shinji smiled at her every morning, not that she cared about their relationship or anything like that, but Shinji being a stupid love sick puppy got old fast. And her general flatness was annoying, but Asuka couldn't bring herself to hate this Ayanami like she did the original Wondergirl. She wasn't quite a doll for one thing.

Misato walked into the kitchen, looking exhausted and worn down.

Shinji, Rei, and Asuka watched as she wearily poured herself a cup of coffee and sat at the table.

"Well the good news is none of the several hundred people from the other universe knew anything disastrous, outside of the two...you know. Though they seem convinced Sachiel is a hero. At least they're not my problem anymore." She sighed.

The strange things life held for them now.

"Did you sleep at all last night?" Shinji asked, worried for their guardian.

"A few hours or so. I'm fine," she insisted.

Living with Misato had become a strange experience. Gone was the messy, happy drunk they'd had known. Instead they were living with this exhausted old woman who was always seemed angry these days. Not at them though, never at them.

"How soon do we need to leave for testing?" Rei asked in a neutral tone. "The schedule has not been properly updated to reflect school being canceled today."

Synchronization testing, a boring waste of time that somehow managed to give Asuka nice boost of pride, as her synch ratio had been on the rise as of late. They all had for the most part, though Rei's was still hovering in the 50% area.

"Sorry about that. We're leaving in an hour, We finally have the simulation properly working." Misato replied

'Good,' Asuka thought. 'I can finally properly train these two in squad tactics. We need to be ready for the next fight.'

Misato suddenly let out a frustrated sigh. "Goddamnit."

"What?" Shinji asked. "What's wrong?"

"Today's the today Ria begins her 'patrol' at WILLE," Misato said, almost hissing her name.

Shinji frowned at the mention of Ria. He still was rather upset about her lying to them. They all were, but Shinji still was taking it hard.

"Ahh yes, nothing like have a fox guard the hen house," Asuka snarked.

"It's out of my hands," Misato said defeatedly.

The government had run roughshod over Misato with Ria and the General seemed to be growing more bitter about it by the day.

"Why don't you just fire her mother?" Asuka suggested. "She's probably only there because of her."

And Asuka wouldn't have to take orders from that annoying failure of a Sub-Commander anymore. Win-win for everyone.

Misato shook her head. "For one thing I actually can't. Not to mention I rather need her right now. And if I actually thought that girl only cared about her parents I wouldn't have a problem with her."

Asuka didn't think Ria was up to anything truly evil, but she was unmistakably a liar. Maybe Misato was being overzealous, maybe she was being reasonable.

"So what do we do?" Shinji asked.

"Be vigilant," Misato urged. "Only so long a fox can sit in a henhouse before it bites."

/

Hikari stared at her cellphone as she had been for the past hour.

There was another Kodama out there, one who was almost exactly like Okito, except she hadn't betrayed them and attacked humanity. She had stayed good.

When Okito attacked, it to a degree made sense. He was an Angel, Angels were natural enemies of humanity. There was never anything else he could have done, it was his nature. Then Ria revealed herself.

Hikari had believed she was just lying, putting on an act to fool Asuka and Shinji. It had to be the case, it was the only thing that made sense. And yet Asuka kept insisting Ria was telling the truth.

Now she had this. A Kodama from a world where she and her brother were more or less flipped. And she was acting the same as Ria.

'Was I wrong?' Hikari wondered. There wasn't much point to this other Kodama putting on an act. Hikari had spent the entire night thinking of what possible angle the other Kodama could have been playing at and she couldn't think of any that made sense.

If she was wrong about them...

She owed Asuka a serious apology for starters. But far more than that, what did that say about Okito?

Grief struck Hikari harder than ever, washing over her. What had they done differently as parents in Kodama's reality then here? What had made Kodama stay loyal where Okito had faltered so much?

A knock came at the door. Then a pause, then followed by three more knocks. That was the code. If someone messed up that code they would have to say a phrase, a phrase unique to them. It was an annoying hindrance, one that Kodama, her Kodama, had nearly messed up a few times.

Hikari opened it to see her sister-in-law standing in the doorway, a small plate of cookies in hand.

"Sorry, I know I should have called ahead but I didn't expect to have the day off," Sakura said as she stepped into the apartment, putting the cookies down in the kitchen.

"Is everything okay?" Hikari asked, surprised by Sakura's visit.

"I was about to ask you the same question," Sakura said. "Touji told me about the other Kodama."

"I'm...still struggling to process it," Hikari shakenly admitted.

Sakura nodded sympathetically. "If it helps, I've spoken to a few of the people who were taken along with them. The way those people talk about Sachiel... It's surreal hearing people talk about an Angel like they're a hero."

'Hero?' That took Hikari off guard.

"What do they say about her?" she asked as she poured herself a glass of water.

"Well, they don't know the full details. They're still in the dark about the human aspect, thankfully. But apparently Sachiel's fought against the other Angels on numerous occasions, even killed one or two, it seems. People were quite unhappy when we told them Sachiel here started the whole war," Sakura explained.

'So not only did she not betray them, she was a hero in her universe?' The news made Hikari even more upset. Killing other Angels made it pretty clear this other Kodama was on their side, which meant Ria might have been as well. Which meant Hikari had been a jerk to one of the few friends she had who had any understanding of what she was going through.

Sakura went on, not noticing Hikari's despair. "Apparently it's gotten to the point where there's some sort of shop in that Kyoto that sold Sachiel-themed merchandise. Some poor kid in a Sachiel mask accidentally scared the heck of Security."

Sakura laughed at the memory. At first she started at a simple chuckle, then her laugh grew louder, until the point she was clutching her sides. She let out heavy gasping for air, her voice suddenly rasping.

Hikari froze, fear filling her, it paralyzed her. Left her unable to move, unable to speak.

"What?" Sakura asked

Hikari dropped the glass in her hand, shattering against the tile floor.

It's at that point a small, thin smile appeared on Sakura's face.

The Ikari Era: Part 3
General Misato Katsuragi was a arguably the second to third most powerful person in Japan, outside of Shinji officially and Asuka unofficially. As Chairwoman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff she was the highest ranking member of the Imperial Military, a position she never wanted nor felt she was truly suited for. But too many generals had retired and many of those that remained were problematic for one reason or another, and thus the position fell to her.

Not bad for a woman who had come back from the dead.

At least there were small chances for normalcy here and there.

Shinji, Asuka, and Kyoko had already left for the dinner. Ria would appear separately, in part for safety, but also a way of showing Ria on her own.

Ria stepped out to the limousine, revealing her dinner attire. It was an odd choice but unmistakably unique. It was a reproduction of a very early 20th century German cavalry officer's uniform, one apparently worn by the Kaiser's daughter. It was black with gold accents and trim, particularly around the cuffs and collar. White gloves on her hands, her red hair tied in a conservative bun.

"You look wonderful," Misato smiled.

Ria smiled, quite happy with her outfit.

Misato escorted Ria to the dinner.

Misato was certain she would never see the Crown Princess reign as Empress, officially at least. Though he'd yet to tell her, Shinji had planned on handing over most of his official power to her when he felt she was ready to handle the burden, likely around the time she was thirty. Enough time for her to have her own life for a time, more time than he got at least.

Misato felt Ria had the makings of a good if hawkish Empress. While Misato would never openly say it, Shinji should never have been Emperor. He didn't want it, he had no taste for power or politics, and possessed little skill in it, and the entire position was torture for him. Asuka had adapted to the political game rather well, but Ria had been born to it. She wanted the throne.

It scared her a bit, thankfully. No one should view that much power without some hesitation.

"What do you make of the situation in Vladivostok?" Ria asked as they were drove to the dinner. Ria's attention focused on her tablet computer.

"Bad, but not unexpected," Misato replied. The world was unstable and violent, Japan was rarity in the post-Third Impact world, a somewhat democratic government with actual power. The number of countries like that could be counted on one hand these days.

"If one of the hardline factions take power we're going to be looking at an enemy near our shores," Ria observed.

"True, let me ask you something: how would you handle the situation as it stands?" Misato turned Ria's question back on her.

Ria pondered for a moment.

"I don't per se disagree with my father's vow to stay out. A militant Japan is feared and for good reason. But we are not the Japan of a hundred years ago. We can't forget our past, but we can't be bound by it either. Ideally we should encourage and help one of the friendly factions, particularly the pro-democratic forces. But if worse came to worst and the Nationalists take power, military options should be on the table at least. We need to consider what's best for Japan first and foremost, and a democratic Far Eastern Republic would be what's best for our interest and public image," Ria said.

Misato blinked. "Why did that sound rehearsed?"

Ria smiled. "Tutors have pulled that sort of question on me plenty of times."

Of course, she had people trained to prepare her for that sort of thing after all.

"I'm really hoping they give me the okay to go to college soon," Ria added with a wishful sigh. "Getting sick of this one on one tutoring."

Shinji and Asuka had tried to have her go to high school but that ended disastrously. University would hopefully go better.

The pulled towards the embassy. Officially the dinner was just a meet and greet with the new Prime Minister of Hawaii. Unofficially of course, Asuka was trying to build an alliance. Hawaii wasn't a big power. Indeed, it was only with post-Third Impact environmental reclamation efforts that it even existed in any meaningful way. But it was strategically placed.

The Far Eastern Republic was small compared to the issues brewing in the former United States and China. Hawaii helped a bit with the former at least. Allies were a rare thing these days.

The car came to a stop. Ria sighed anxiously.

Misato patted her on the shoulder. "Don't worry. This is just a minor dinner and I know you have this. Just be polite and keep calm. It will be fine, if you're lucky the night will be boring and you get to spend some time with your girlfriend."

Ria nodded, flashing her a smile, then she opened the door and stepped out into the awaiting crowd.

/

Ria made her to the embassy, smiling politely at the cameras. She steeled herself as best she could.

'This isn't about you,' she told herself. 'It's not like they're going to judge your worthiness of being Heir every time you step outside the palace.'

She shook hands with a dozen or so foreign dignitaries and politicians. She smiled and said hello, making small talk with a few of them. She wanted to hurry this but she restrained herself.

There was only one person she was eager to shake hands with, the Interior Minister. Because he had brought his daughter and Ria's girlfriend with him, Yodogawa Cho.

She and Cho had been dating for the better part of a year. Mind, dating for Ria was a slow process. Most of their contact had been through emails and old fashioned paper mail. Though they did get out to see the occasional movie together. Indeed shared interest in movies is what had brought them together.

Well, that part of who she was, there were parts of her she hid from everyone save for her sister.

If she was open about her relationship here, the public would know, and conservatives would complain. And people would start wondering if they wanted someone so 'deviant' as Heir.

But on the other hand, Cho wanted to dance tonight, and she didn't want to deny her that dance.

Ria turned to see a surprising figure approaching her, Dmitri Ohta.

Ohta was the son of an Admiral, a war hero from the brief Korean Crisis five years ago. He was also Matarael, the Angel of Rain.

He and Ria were not exactly friends. They knew each other, not particularly well though, and neither disliked the other, but they were at best acquaintances.

But Ria knew enough about him to know he would never come to something like this willingly. Something was up.

"Your Highness!" Ohta said, a big smile on his face. "It's a honor to see you again."

They shook hands, much to the annoyance of Ria's security detail. She could feel him slip something in her hands.

He walked off quickly, pretending to be called away from his father.

Ria quickly and subtly glanced down at her gloved hand.

There was a paper with a handwritten message

"Ramiel is planning something big. Suzuhara aims to recruit you. Do not trust them."

Ria carefully hid the message in her glove, frowning slightly.

This was confusing, very confusing. She didn't even know Ramiel. But she did know Ohta enough to know he was serious about this.

Perhaps it was time she talked with Okito Suzuhara.

/

Okito was uncomfortable. He was in a suit that itched and was tight around his neck, and he was surrounded by far too many people. At least Kodama was equally as uncomfortable. Having to deal with such important people meant she had to be on her best behavior, something she loathed with an utter passion.

Kenny was home with a Aunt Sakura. Bringing a kid his age to a super-formal event like this would have been just asking for trouble.

The embassy was crowded. The Suzuhara family had largely parked themselves in a corner near the dining area, away from the majority of the crowd but not awkwardly so. They were the middle class family in a room full of politicians and the rich, only there because they knew the Emperor when he was just Shinji Ikari, NERV Pilot and middle school student.

Okito was never quite sure if he approved of Ikari being elevated in such a way or found it absurd. If nothing else he made a more active god than Adam ever did.

The Crown Princess approached them.

Okito tensed up. He had no intention of making today a recruitment, but he had spotted Matarael earlier and there was something about the look in his eyes that left Okito uneasy.

"Mrs. Suzuhara! So good to see you again" Ria greeted his mother with broad smile, shaking her hand vigorously. Before turning to Touji and Kodama, greeting them all warmly.

"Okito!" She said excitedly before unexpectedly grabbing him in a tight hug, her guards frowning at the action.

Then Ria whispered in his ear, so softly he could barely hear it.

"Dmitri tells me you and Ramiel are planning something. And you want my support," she said.

Okito froze, horrified as he realized in a moment that Matarael had thrown years of planning out the window. Matarael had betrayed him, betrayed their kind.

"Why don't you tell me more about your plan somewhere more private. Like the restroom," Ria whispered, threats lacing every word. "Five minutes."

She broke the hug and said her goodbyes. Leaving Okito standing, shocked and confused.

/

She couldn't drag Kyoko away from her parents without raising any suspicion. Thankfully her father's orders meant that it was easy enough to shoo away her guards for at least a little while.

Okito entered the restroom, his expression completely calm. But Ria knew enough about their kind to know that was a mask.

"Look, whatever Dmitri told you, it's not what you think..." Okitio began.

"Save it, Suzuhara," Ria interrupted bluntly as she leaned against the tiled wall. "Just give me the sales pitch. Who knows? I might even agree."

Okito blinked in surprise. "Really?"

Ria nodded. "Anything's possible."

To her surprise, he told her a great deal. Ramiel had been planning quite a lot. Their plan was... interesting if nothing else.

"So that's it?" Ria asked.

"That's all I know," Okito admitted. "Ramiel knows more of the technical stuff. I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you what he knows."

"Thanks, but I'm good," Ria replied.

There was an eagerness to Okito's face.

Ria went on. "To be honest, what you're selling really isn't worth the price you're asking."

Okito's joy turned to confusion. "What."

"You're offering me the chance to be effectively immortal and have vast power. 'God among the Lilin' was the phrase you used?" she asked. "Well, let's see... I'm Heir to the throne of one of the most powerful nations left on Earth and at the rate medical science is advancing, we'll probably live to be several hundred years old. That's long enough for me. So more of what I already have for the cost endangering my family and my position? I'm sorry but that's just too big of a risk. So your answer is 'No'."

If Ria thought for a moment this plan could be executed successfully with no risk to others, particularly to her family, she might have actually considered it. Being an immortal God-Empress did sound appealing. But it was doomed to failure, and if her involvement became known, her family would never look at her the same way, or her people.

"But...but," Okito stammered. "You could have…"

Ria cut him off. "Have what? Wealth, power, and long life? I've already got those. You're asking me to risk everything for... not much difference. Besides, you want to protect our kind, right?"

"Well yes, that's my biggest priority," Okito admitted.

"And I can assure you that when I'm Empress I will do everything in my power to protect our kind," she said sympathetically.

In truth she didn't care one bit for any other Angel outside of her sister, but it was important to Okito and he was...naive.

"More to the point," Ria went on, "Ramiel's plan seems to pose the greatest risk of exposing us to the Lilin and angering them."

Okito was stricken by that, yet surprisingly he did seem to listen to what she was saying.

"That..that is a good point," Okito admitted. "We have had a couple of close scares and I don't trust his human 'allies'. But what do you purpose we do instead?"

"You want Angels to be the ones on top? You want our kind protected, right?" She had to fight to keep her eyes from rolling at what she was saying.

"...Yeah."

"Then join me." She urged "Help me stop Ramiel before his plan goes too far."

Last edited:
State of the World
Okay so this more relevant to Ikari Era but it applies to both. So the world of this fic has effectively survived two apocalyptic events, second and third impact. The world population is less than half of what it was before Second Impact. And not all the world has recovered fully. Third Impact left a lot of infrastructure to rot, in some places for months, which is quite painful to rebuild. Plus even though most of the population did come out of instrumentality quickly, a few places had their leadership either die in the chaos or simply not come back. Which lead to either chaos or drastic changes in government and borders. a Few places even restored Monarchies because hey, it gave people something to rally around. So some places were able to rebuild quickly while others struggled and some places more or less didn't.

I'd generally divide the situation into three levels. Recovered regions, Recovering regions, and Collapsed regions.

Recovered regions are areas where things have more or less completely recovered, to the point where technology actually started to advance to a degree (Japan and most of Asia have internet equivalent to roughly how things are today just more locally) . These are areas that by and large got lucky, they had enough people come back quickly and they had enough of their neighbors come back quickly so trade could be reestablished. These regions include north east asia and Australia (Though Seoul and Melbourne getting Ramiel'd kind of screwed with that), Most of Western Europe, European Russia, parts of South america and North Africa, Texas, and the north eastern parts of the Former United States and Canada.

Recovering Regions are basically regions still in the process of rebuilding from the chaos Third Impact caused. I wouldn't say they've been reduced to third world standards but they're in bad shape. Living Standards are not great, but most people generally aren't worried about being attacked by bandits in the middle of the night. Though some are worried if they're going to have enough food to get by. Most nations in these regions are generally authoritarian, though there are exceptions. Examples include the West coast of the former US (It was better a few years ago but California collapsed hard), Mexico, Other parts of South America, India, Eastern Europe, and the Asian Part of Russia.

Collapsed regions are areas were things have, well collapsed. There's no recovery going on, and the area is largely controlled by warlords of varying strips, though some have more or less been abandoned by people for the time being. This includes pretty much every region I haven't mentioned yet but of particular note is The South East and Flyover regions of the United States. They're pretty much entirely collapsed. other former US states have tried to move in but it's a struggle.

Japan is not the strongest nation in the post third impact world, but before the angels started appearing again, it was unmistakably a rising power.

Last edited:
Back