Breaking Destiny (Fire Emblem: Awakening Quest)

So I was bored and decided to write this. Couldn't think of a name though. My original ideal was to have an epic fight between Leonard and the shepherds with maybe Severa and Noire either watching, assisting, ruining his fun, or something. But I think this ended up being funnier.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Funny and pretty accurate 500~ word Omake​
Very nice Omake! Severa would absolutely pay some mercenaries just to find Leonard, he's very unreliable like that. The only reason he would survive in the wilderness by himself is because he got Henry's trait of animals being friendly to him and they would absolutely pity him if they saw him all alone in a forest. Also, I would give you four points because of the word count being around 500, but let me add two extra points because of this bit here.
"Why are you all following me?"
"'Cause we don't trust that you'll actually get there by yourself without someone else being with you."
"Argh, curse your totally justified argument!"
"Should also mention you almost walked off a cliff?"
"....Well, I am fully capable of taking care of myself! That was just to see if you were watching me!"
"Sure it was, we totally believe you."
"....I hate you all so much right now...."
"What was that?"
"Nothing!"

Glad to see others found it funny as well. Was also looking at the Quest mechanics and omake rewards informational post and ended up wondering. Has no one else used theirs yet or did I just overlook that somewhere? Cause there's just the rewarded readers part but nothing to indicate really if they spent theirs. Specifically something like a parentheses with spent and the amount in it or something.

Glad to see others found it funny as well. Was also looking at the Quest mechanics and omake rewards informational post and ended up wondering. Has no one else used theirs yet or did I just overlook that somewhere? Cause there's just the rewarded readers part but nothing to indicate really if they spent theirs. Specifically something like a parentheses with spent and the amount in it or something.
No one has decided to use it yet, though that may be due to wanting to conserve their points for when something important comes up. If someone does decide to use their points, then I'll put that in a spoiler box within the update they wish to use it on.

You are ignoring content by this member.
[X][Dark Magic Training] Power. Throughout your trip, you go into many magical spars with your father, with the both of you using Dark Magic and spells. Specifically, low and medium-power Dark Magic spells, improving your overall magical power along the way. (Gain Unique Dark Magic Tome - Murder of Crows, Intermediate proficiency with Flux Tomes, Novice with Nosferatu Tomes, Novice with Ruin Tomes, and +10 MAG)
[X][Interlude] The Best Friend

[X][Dark Magic Training] Power. Throughout your trip, you go into many magical spars with your father, with the both of you using Dark Magic and spells. Specifically, low and medium-power Dark Magic spells, improving your overall magical power along the way. (Gain Unique Dark Magic Tome - Murder of Crows, Intermediate proficiency with Flux Tomes, Novice with Nosferatu Tomes, Novice with Ruin Tomes, and +10 MAG)
[X][Interlude] The Voice of Naga

[X][Interlude] The Crow Father

Vote will close in around 8-10 hours, so I have more time to begin writing the next update.

Surprised that the Power vote is winning, along with Severa's interlude, but it's good to be surprised every now and then.
Adhoc vote count started by ItzNarcotic on Oct 24, 2019 at 7:38 PM, finished with 43 posts and 35 votes.

Vote will close in around 8-10 hours, so I have more time to begin writing the next update.

Surprised that the Power vote is winning, along with Severa's interlude, but it's good to be surprised every now and then.
People are trusting psy training to do things it doesn't say it does and reincarnate to do things it doesn't say it does.

As for the interlude? First character wins?

People are trusting psy training to do things it doesn't say it does and reincarnate to do things it doesn't say it does.

I'm not voting for drawback immunity because I think having the drawback will be more interesting in the long run. Not because I think we're inherently immune to it or anything. I just think it will be interesting to see how all these aspects will coalesce into Leonard and how that will affect his relationships going forward.

Though... I didn't think anything Drawback immunity would be overthrown by any other option.

Yeah the Psy training was more so control of emotions and being better emotional support to people more than anything else, really. Being reincarnated into a world that has vastly different principal's and social norms than our currently modern society isn't necessarily going to help when you have to fight and potentially kill someone.

@ItzNarcotic Seeing how power is winning and I'm pretty sure I'm not misunderstanding anything I would like to place all of those points I got to resistance.
Alright, I'll make sure to mention that in the next update.

AU Omake: An Alternate Beginning
Something I had an idea about that wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote it, so here it is. If I ever get the mood to write something like this again, then I'll continue it. Though that probably won't happen, since I'm mostly busy these days.

It's also been a while since I've written something in the first person, so I hope this isn't too bad. Also, the vote will close in 3-4 hours.

I hope you all enjoy this little bit I typed out.
Omake: An Alternate Beginning
A chaotic night in the woods brings tremors and terrors, but a mysterious, sword-wielding mage named Merlin comes to the Sheperd's rescue.

The mountain was surrounded, Grima had done almost the same as he had in the Original Timeline. We had to go back in time and change the past to save the future.

"Come on, Leonard! Naga is going to open the portal soon!" Severa grabs my arm, dragging me out of my mental reverie and away from the entrance of the cave. Oh right, I was supposed to block the entrance.

Channeling magic through my arm, I mentally chant the spell for an Arcfire spell and quickly cast it onto the top of the entryway. Rocks and stalagmites fall down from the ceiling, creating a temporary barricade. Hopefully, that would slow the Risen down enough that the portal could be made.

"So, we're all in agreement then? We're all going to travel to the past?" Lucina asks, her voice echoing throughout the chamber. A murmur of agreement follows her response.

Well, that was good. At least everyone wanted to go back in time, which would save the hassle of people arguing over whether to go or not.

"Leonard, you still have the last gem. Right? The black one?" Cynthia points out, everyone turning to stare at me.

Wow, way to put pressure on me, Cynthia.

Nodding in acknowledgment, I pull out the black gem from my cloak. The pitch black of the Sable gem completely contrasts my pure white cloak, the gem letting out some sort of negative energy. Looking up from my examination, Cynthia and Nah quickly back away from me.

"Yes, I managed to get it off of one of the Deadlords we killed before heading up here." Lucina nods in affirmation, extending her hand out.

"Hurry, we must make haste. Who knows how long that barricade will last?" As soon as she finishes speaking, a loud roar close to that of a dragon echoes from the outside the entrance of the cave. Great.

Quickly handing the Sable gem over to her, she walks over to the pedestal and shoves it into the empty divot. A glow surrounds the pedestal, a voice echoing throughout our minds.

"Go through, now! The portal is now open, but only for a moment." Naga speaks, the portal glowing and crackling with magic.

Brady, Yarne, and Nah immediately jump through, with Gerome, Cynthia, and Owain screaming at their stupidity and following after them. The groans of the Risen are louder now, almost reminiscent of a cannon shot from my previous life.

"I have used all my available power and now, I leave the rest to you. Go forth with confidence and save the future! Fix your destiny!" She shouts, her voice instantly fading away as Inigo, Kjelle, and Laurent started fighting off the now entering Risen.

Casting a quick Thoron, I cleared enough space for them to barely make it through the portal. Noire and Severa drag me by my cloak as I cast spell after spell to try and impede the Risen's attack towards us.

Lucina jumps in, followed by a very reluctant Noire. Severa looks at me for a moment, hesitating with a small frown and tears running down her face, before jumping into the portal.

I cast a couple more spells, killing some more Risen before jumping in after them, the light fading away from my vision. Hopefully, I made it in time.

#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#

"What the hell hit my head," I mutter, looking through the dense and dark forest. It's almost peaceful, quiet even.

Suddenly, a loud boom echoes throughout the air. Looking up, I see a black hole opening up, with Risen quickly falling onto the ground of the now on the burning forest.

"Oh. Oh fuck me." I curse, rushing over to the increasing pile of Risen. Looking to the left, I saw a blue-haired man fighting a bigger, sturdy-looking Risen.
I
Well, I know what time I'm in now…

Taking my Levin Sword out of its sheath, I channeled magic throughout the hilt and started cutting through the Risen in front of me.

Hearing the sound of an arrow being fired, I turn around and see a man wearing clothes akin to a nobleman.

"Hello there, good sir! Do you need some assistance from the Archest of Archers, Virion?" He asks, flourishing his bow.

Hmm, this works well. "Do you see those towers? I would recommend going there to get some high ground." He nods, before looking back at me with a raised brow.

"Ah yes, stranger. Would it be too much of a bother if I were to ask your name?"

"...My name is Merlin." I quickly say, internally regretting my choice of name.

Really brain? Out of all the names that start with M, you had to choose that one?

"Very well, Merlin. I, the Archer of Archers, shall go and help these fair maidens!" He declares, sprinting over to the stone tower and shooting Risen along the way. That works too.

Looking around, I saw a blonde-haired girl who was separated by the rest of the group, cornered by some Risen. Oh, that's Lissa, Chrom's sister.

Sprinting closer to them, I channel a large amount of magic into my legs and kick on of the Risen in the back. The sound of flesh tearing, along with the pained groans of the Risen, makes Lissa grab her staff and quickly sprint towards Frederick.

Man, I forgot that Frederick has one hell of a glare.

Focusing my attention on the last two Risen, I parried the Myrmidon's sword and stab my Levin sword into its chest. Channeling magic through both my hands, I face it's body towards the Axe-wielding one, making it strike it's ally's back and quickly dissipate.

Taking advantage of its confusion, I shoved my sword into its chest and instantly killed it. Looking around, most of the Risen were already dead and the rest of the Shepherds were fighting the Chieftain.

"Hey, you!" A voice yells. Turning around, I see a woman with white hair and a black cloak walking towards me. "You can use magic, correct?"

I nod, answering, "Yes, I can use magic. I assume you want to take out that Risen Chieftain's legs before finishing it off?"

The woman stares at me, eyes wide in surprise. "How did you know-"

"It's what I would've done too," I said, quickly cutting her off and moving to join the fight. Thankfully, the woman seemed to get the message and started following behind me.

"Go for the legs! It will be easy to finish off afterward!" I yelled, chanting the spell for an arcthunder. Virion nodded, shooting multiple arrows at its legs as I cast my arcthunder spell.

The sound of crackling thunder and the groans of the risen chieftain filled my ears as Chrom quickly shoves the Falchion into its chest. Its pained groans are the last thing that echoes throughout the forest before it turns to dust and floats away into the air.

"Hmph. That's that." Chrom huffs, putting Falchion back in its sheath. He walks over and joins the rest of the group, staring at you all the while.

"It seems all the creatures are vanquished. This young man took care of others." Frederick states, giving you pointed stare.

If I hadn't been stared down by Kjelle or Gerome so much, this would be uncomfortable as hell.

"Um, I never got to thank you...for before. So...thank you. You were very brave." Lissa says, fumbling around her words.

I had a straight face, but on the inside, I wanted to die. I really did not want Owain's mom pining after me, damn it! Even if it's a small crush that will fade away, this is still weird and uncomfortable as hell.

"You saved my sister's life. My name is Chrom. Might I ask yours?" Chrom asks, his voice curt and polite.

"Merlin." Virion says, getting the attention of Chrom and everyone else listening. "He calls himself Merlin."

"Merlin? You mean after the powerful mage of old? You certainly act as a magician, yet you know your way around a blade as well. Where did you learn your way with a sword?" He asks. His words are like rapid-firing bullets, giving me no time to keep track of them.

Ugh, I don't have the time for this. I'm probably going to get lost on the way to Regna Ferox and I need all the time I can get to travel there.

"I am not here to talk about myself. The world is edging onto destruction. I am here to talk about what you just witnessed, for that is only the beginning of it all. You have been warned." I declared, quickly running around the stone tower and casting an illusion onto myself.

Eavesdropping on their conversation, it seems that my message had the same time as Lucina's. Good, I don't want to change anything significant too early. I wanted to try and end the Plegian war without Emmeryn's death, but that would require more planning to do.

Making sure that all of them leave the general area, I began pondering. Now that's over with, where is Regna Ferox? I swear that I'm moving north but knowing Severa or Lucina, they would probably say I was moving east. They were usually right, but it hurt to admit that out loud.

"Gods damn it all, why is it so hard to travel without a map? It's literally just walking around, for Naga's sake."

Last edited:

I know I said I was going to close the vote, but I actually just got this annoying as hell headache that's decided to not leave me alone.

As such, the vote will be open for 12 more hours while I try to sleep off this damn annoyance that's been bugging me for the past couple of hours.

[X][Dark Magic Training] Drawback Immunity. You cast continuous spells throughout the trip, gaining a decent immunity to the long-term effect of Dark Magic onto your mind and soul. (Gain Trait - Mind of Steel Level 2, Intermediate proficiency with Flux Tomes, Novice with Nosferatu Tomes and +10 RES)

As for the interlude? First character wins?

I mean, I'm voting for power fully aware that we're going to suffer the drawbacks of dark magic. I hold absolutely no illusions that those things will be able to even put a minor dent in our dark magic side effects. I just view the unmitigated drawbacks as an acceptable trade for getting what appears to be our father's signature spell, which he may or may not have designed himself.

I mean, I'm voting for power fully aware that we're going to suffer the drawbacks of dark magic. I hold absolutely no illusions that those things will be able to even put a minor dent in our dark magic side effects. I just view the unmitigated drawbacks as an acceptable trade for getting what appears to be our father's signature spell, which he may or may not have designed himself.
Listen to this person, they're onto something there... Also in the actual skill definition itself of Mind of Steel, it states that it grants a decent immunity, not a complete immunity to the effects of dark magic. Meaning that even if the option won, the effects of dark magic would be there, just not as prominent as it should be. Just a side note.

Also, vote is closed (closed it a while ago, might as well make it official though). Currently working on the current chapter. As a little tidbit, do you want the interlude to be after the chapter (as in after the official chapter, or posted separately?) Just asking as I'd rather see what you guys think.
Adhoc vote count started by ItzNarcotic on Oct 26, 2019 at 2:56 AM, finished with 53 posts and 37 votes.

Last edited:
Also, vote is closed (closed it a while ago, might as well make it official though). Currently working on the current chapter. As a little tidbit, do you want the interlude to be after the chapter (as in after the official chapter, or posted separately?) Just asking as I'd rather see what you guys think.

I'd suggest a separate post, extensively long posts can sometimes be a slog to get through in rereads and the like. It doesn't even have to have any posts in between the chapter and the interlude, but it can if you want it to. I find just having legitimate breaks in a text can make the whole just easier to digest.

I'd suggest a separate post, extensively long posts can sometimes be a slog to get through in rereads and the like. It doesn't even have to have any posts in between the chapter and the interlude, but it can if you want it to. I find just having legitimate breaks in a text can make the whole just easier to digest.
I was thinking of putting them into separate posts as well, but it's nice to have some feedback every one in a while. Appreciate it.

[X][Interlude] The Flirty Dancer
[X][Interlude] The Stoic Princess
[X][Interlude] The Crow Father
[X][Interlude] The Lord of Ylisse
[X][Interlude] The Glorified Butler
[X][Interlude] The Forgotten One
[X][Interlude] The Conqueror
[X][Interlude] The Necromancer
[X][Interlude] The Vessels

I know it's been around 2 weeks since the last update, but both the update and the interlude are very close to being finished. I'm kinda rushing though, since I'm working overtime all of next week along with California turning off it's power for who knows how long. I also still have to proofread and check for errors, which usually takes me a little bit to do combined with writing.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to post it today after work. If not, maybe on Tuesday night at the latest. In the meantime, I've updated the Character Sheet and did some design tweaks. It should be up to date with the upcoming update, along with looking much more organized than it previously did.

Feel free to @ me about anything regarding the Character Sheet, I'll have this open in a spare tab while I work on editing the chapter after work.

As someone in California who despite being lucky with the power, but had their wifi turned off for several days - I understand. Get it out when you can and don't stress too much about it while you get some R&R after working overtime. We'll be here whenever it's ready.

I know it's been around 2 weeks since the last update, but both the update and the interlude are very close to being finished. I'm kinda rushing though, since I'm working overtime all of next week along with California turning off it's power for who knows how long. I also still have to proofread and check for errors, which usually takes me a little bit to do combined with writing.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to post it today after work. If not, maybe on Tuesday night at the latest. In the meantime, I've updated the Character Sheet and did some design tweaks. It should be up to date with the upcoming update, along with looking much more organized than it previously did.

Feel free to @ me about anything regarding the Character Sheet, I'll have this open in a spare tab while I work on editing the chapter after work.

You can take your time, we all can wait here.

You know, looking at Severa's thoughts of Leonard should go out more but combined with the the where am I, Again? trait. Can't help but think Severa is conflicted. On one hand she wants him to go out more. But on the other if he does its likely he won''t be seen for awhile due to getting lost.

Back