Breaking Destiny (Fire Emblem: Awakening Quest)

Sorry for the delayed update, my planned lessons are taking up most my free time. And the free time I do get, I mostly use to relax and decompress myself. It also doesn't really help that I have another quest that I still haven't updated or the other things I'm working on (these things are mainly my impulsive nature working against me, if I have to be honest).

However, do expect an update soon. It should probably be posted in a couple of hours or so, depending on if I have enough time to finish up the current chapter and the scheduling of my next lesson.

Sorry for the delayed update, my planned lessons are taking up most my free time. And the free time I do get, I mostly use to relax and decompress myself. It also doesn't really help that I have another quest that I still haven't updated or the other things I'm working on (these things are mainly my impulsive nature working against me, if I have to be honest).

However, do expect an update soon. It should probably be posted in a couple of hours or so, depending on if I have enough time to finish up the current chapter and the scheduling of my next lesson.

It's alright I am sure we all can wait for you, because in the end you will always come back to us.

9: Misfortune
[][Noire Situation] Take her back to your room. You recently got your own room, separate from your father's that has a guest room connected to it that you could bring her into.
[][Training] Train in a branch of magic.
--[][Training] Train your thunder Armor by increasing its durability, magical power, and speed. (+ Training Points w/Thunder Armor, + SPD and + MAG)
[][Training] Join Frederick's Fanatical Fitness Hour. It may be hellish training, but you can't deny that it's a great workout for you. (Guaranteed +1 STR and DEF when failing, +6 STR and DEF when Successful. DC = 70)
[][Training] Train with Lucina. Maybe she can help improve your amateur sword skills? (+ Support Points, Training Points w/ Swords, SKL)

After an hour of contemplation and nonstop writing in your personal diary, you finally finished drafting up your training routine for the year.

Akin to the previous years of training, you chose to continue attending Frederick's Fanatical Fitness Hour. It was grueling, it was hell, and it was undoubtedly something that no average child should ever experience in their lifetime.

However, you were no average child. You were one of the Future Children, and with that revelation came the need for strength and power. No matter what you had to endure, even if it meant going through hell itself, you would attain what was needed to make sure that the future past's future would be safer.

...That noble thought aside, you also wanted the privilege of saying that you had fully endured the entire hour of Frederick's hellish training. Especially since you could brag about it to the some of the more physically able children who refused attend out of sheer principle.

It was understandable, but still. The moment you'd be able to hold it in their faces would be an unforgettable one. One that would, hopefully, also double as a potential motivator for them in the years to come.

But besides pure endurance and physical training, you also opted to take up learning some swordplay. You weren't deluded enough to think that magic and having good reaction time were the be-all and end-all of combat. It was an eventuality that you would end up in a situation where your magic was either simply unusable or otherwise something that would make things worse. As such, you wanted to at least learn the bare basics of swordplay–and maybe even more–before that event came to fruition.

Of course, you weren't too confident in finding a proper tutor for such a thing. If there was one thing that you learned during your time at Ylisstol Castle, it was that dedicated tutors weren't in large supply despite their overwhelming demand—let alone ones not occupied with more important matters unknown to you.

Thankfully, you did have one person in mind. One that you somewhat knew at that. Whether or not she would agree was another matter entirely, but that was something that future you would have to deal with.

Finally, you wanted to make more progress on learning about the spell that left your father almost lost in distant memories. A unique spell that, apparently, had been employed by another mage prior at that. Besides the potential discoveries that could be made in this world's history, it was a functionally unstable spell that you wanted to reign under control.

Your mana reserves, as plentiful as they were, only lasted so long while lightning coated your body—something that you wanted to completely fix or at least lessen for the years to come. Running out of mana during a battle wasn't something you ever wanted to experience firsthand, if your father's vividly morbid bedtime stories were anything to go by.

Flipping to an empty page, you moved to write a new set of sentences to detail your actions yesterday. Record keeping, droll and time-consuming it may be, was something was a habit you began upon the revelation of being in a fictional world hit you in the face. Not only to keep track of key events, but even the minutest of details in case they were the slightest bit important later down the line.

...If anyone asked you, you were definitely not paranoid; just highly prepared to take action for anything strange and unusual.

Letting out a sigh, you stretched out your arms and legs. Popping noises reverberated throughout your body, your joints and bones releasing an hour's worth of tension. Pushing your chair back with your feet, you stood and moved to put away the quill and ink bo—

Suddenly, a loud crash echoed from within the guest bedroom.

The abrupt and unexpected noise caused two things to go wrong. In your shock, the quill you were just writing with fell out of your hand, slowly falling onto the floor. The more annoying and prominent thing that happened, however, was that the bottle of ink you tried to put away was knocked down in the chaos.

The contents of which spilled onto your previously pristine and mint condition cloak.

Turning the white cloth with dread, you stared at a black streak accompanied by a very good interpretation of the Rorschach blot.

Well, at least I have tons of spare cloaks to wear...

Pinching the bridge of your nose with resignation, you took off your permanently ink-stained cloak and threw it into a large, hay-woven basket. Reaching underneath the space of your bed, you grabbed and donned a new, unstained cloak.

With a satisfied smile and flourish of movement, you made your way to the far side of the room. Taking a deep breath and preparing yourself for a potentially very awkward discussion with your sister, you slowly opened the door to the guest bedroom.

Nigh instantly, a downpour of ink fell upon you, staining your new cloak. Your eyebrow twitched as Noire, the perpetrator behind the act, stared at you wide-eyed. Eventually, she closed her eyes and stood still–trying to make herself look smaller and hide in plain sight.

What the hell is she doing? It like she's waiting for me to punish her. ...She's only an eight-year-old! What the hell, Tharja! I swear if I meet her at any point I'm going to—

Taking off your cloak again, you mentally decided to not bother to get a new one. Maybe it was the repeated ink splatters throughout this morning, or perhaps a gut feeling of a bad omen of some sort, but you didn't even want to try and get a new cloak to wear. There was a nagging feeling in your mind that it would somehow end up becoming even worse if you wore another one.

...That karmic superstition aside, you also wanted to calm down your obviously anxious sister. An ink stain, no matter the size or cause, wouldn't stop you from reconvening with your long lost sister.

Priorities for proper clothes and appearances be damned.

"Noire, I'm not going to hurt you. You're going to be fine." Reluctantly, she opened her eyes. Anxiety and fear shone within her dark pupils as they darted all over the room.

"No, I'm not g-going to be fine. M-Mother will..." Noire said, grimacing as she muttered those last words.

Extending a hand out to her, your lips curved into a small and confident smile. "Trust me, Noire. She won't be able to do anything, especially when I'm here."

She met your confident state with an anxiety induced one. Deep in thought, she bit her lip as silence brewed and boiled between the both of you. Yet in that silence, emotions danced in her eyes and contorted themselves through her rapidly changing facial expressions.

Alertness. Disbelief. Attentiveness. Astonishment. Joy. Relief. Gratitude.

Through those emotions and much more you couldn't find the words for, you saw a small amount of acceptance and trust. However small it was, it made you happy knowing that your sister trusted you.

"D-Do you have any hexes or curses cast upon you?" Your sister suddenly asked.

Hexes and curses? Why would that matter? Besides, I don't think I have any on me…

Deep in thought, you replied, "I don't think so, but I'm not well versed in that craft. I have more knowledge in general magic than anything else, but even that is pretty limited."

Honestly, you didn't think there were any on you. Whether or not casting hexes and curses was the same as spell casting you didn't know, but you were confident that whatever poor soul did such a thing on you would meet a horrible end. Father would instantly freak out. Probably experiment on them with eccentricity, especially if they were nearby...

Straying away from those particular thoughts, you focused on your sister.

Noire's gaze travelled across the room, examining everything in it with an oddly critical eye you didn't think she had. A few seconds later, she hummed in approval and said, "Well, it looks like you're right. I can't find any hexes or curses anywhere in or around this room. So that means…"

She slowly trailed off, staring at something behind you. Following her curious gaze, you were surprised again.

On the wall laid a highly detailed portrait of your father, a blue-haired man, and two white-haired siblings standing in the courtyard of the castle. The siblings bore a great resemblance to your father, with their white hair and black cloaks. But that was where the similarities ended.

The man held an uncanny resemblance to your father, but he was far more lackadaisical in the way he held himself. The odd thing, however, were his ruby-red eyes. It was like they were staring into your very soul, judging you for all your metaphorical and physical worth before deciding your fate.

That must be Robin. Or is Robin the woman instead? Gah, this is too confusing! Why does there have to be two Tacticians!

Shaking yourself out of those thoughts, you examined the second Tactician in question. The woman didn't have anything odd about her, being extremely similar to the man beside her in all but hairstyle and build. The detail that tipped you were the same as before, them being her odd dark purple eyes. Gazing at them alone sent a clearly foreign and magical feeling coursing through you.

However, one detail that was the same throughout the whole painting is that they were all happy—joyful, even. As if they didn't have any problems or struggles. It was odd for you to see your father happy, especially when most of the time it was fake happiness for the sake of not committing any social faux pas.

It was one of the things that you were grateful for as his son, being showered with genuine affection despite his own troubles.

"B-Brother, are you listening?" Noire said nervously, waving her hand in front of your face. Shaking your head free of stray thoughts, you focused your full attention onto your sister.

"Now that I have your attention, d-do you have anything to ask me? I can answer a couple of questions you might have."

If you decide to ask Noire some questions, choose the ones you wish to ask. However, only two of those questions will win the vote.

[][Questions and Answers] Yes, you do have a question or two you want to ask Noire.
-[][Questions and Answers] Why does she have that weird necklace? Is it connected to her odd behavior earlier?
-[][Questions and Answers] How and why is she so knowledgeable in magic such as curses and hexes?
-[][Questions and Answers] Where was she this whole time? Why did Mother take her away?
-[][Questions and Answers] Write-in
[][Questions and Answers] No, you don't have anything to ask her. *QM will remember this extremely well thought out big-brain tactic*

After having a maid bring breakfast to your room and eating it together with your sister once said maid left, you acted upon your plan to train your Thunder magic. To be more specific, your recently discovered Thunder Armor skill.

You wanted to improve it. Make it harder, better, faster, and most importantly, stronger.

Wait a minute… Gods damn it, why am I thinking of Daft Punk all of the sudden? What even is going on with me today?

Bemusedly shaking your head free of those thoughts, you turned to face the person who came along for training.

Noire walked close to your side, a steel bow and a small quiver filled with arrows on her back. Strapped at the hip was a one-handed bronze axe held in a shoddy leather sheath. All of these were acquired from the armory of the Shephards.

Hopefully no one notices that these are missing. If someone does notice, well.. Sorry for making your job harder, Frederick. Because somehow all of that bureaucratic nonsense ends up looping back to you.

Your sister stared at you with the energy of an eager but exhausted puppy. Breathing heavily, she groaned, "Brother, h-how much farther u-until we reach the p-place you told me about?" she paused to steady her breath, "I want to train as soon as possible, but I don't want to be tired when I start."

Earlier in the morning, you told Noire that you would be out to train for the next couple of hours so she wouldn't be worried about your whereabouts. Immediately afterward though, she vehemently begged you to join your training session. Reluctantly, you agreed, but only on the condition that she would be nearby regardless of if you were training or not.

You didn't want her to get lost in the expanse of the forest, especially since you had just reunited with her.

"We'll be there soon, so don't worry about not having enough energy to train." You hummed, flipping through pages of the Thunder tome nonchalantly.

"Brother, are you s-sure that Father knows you're here? I don't want to w-worry him too much…" she said, her gaze trailing off to the distant castle the both of you had exited earlier.

Ah yes, your father. You had told him that you were going out, but hopefully he didn't go into your room and rummage through your things. For that manner, hopefully he also didn't check the guest bedroom.

He was a good father, that much you would definitely admit, but he would worry too much even though you weren't a child anymore.

...As much of a child that a young adult mind in a child's body could be, at any rate.

"From what I told you, father may be a little bit," You paused, trying to find the best word to describe your father while making him seem as sane as possible to your paranoid and easily frightened sister, "eccentric. But he won't follow us, so there's no need to worry too much."

"Besides, the odds we actually get hurt are pretty small." You supplied confidently, before continuing to walk.

A few moments later, the sound of Noire's footsteps crunching on the dirt combined with your own in an oddly disjointed but rhythmic way. On the way to your destination, it was the only noise present for the rest of you and your sister's peaceful and serene trek through the forest.

1d100 = 21 + 10(Mana Battery) +10(Dark Mage) + 5(Thunder Magic Proficiency - Novice) = 46 = Barely Failed! DC = 50

"B-Brother, are you sure you're okay?" Your sister asked, her face of concern blurred.

You nodded with a grimace, barely acknowledging her words through the loud ringing sensation in your ears. Thankfully, it faded away just as swiftly as it had arrived, leaving you able to clearly hear once more. Making sure it wasn't your mind tricking you, you brought your left hand to your ear and cupped it.

If I lost my hearing, that would be absolutely terrifying. I wouldn't even be able to hear anyone or anything going on. It would be even worse in this situation, considering how many fights and battles I'm probably going to have to go into. Especially the people I'm going to have to kill in the future...

Shaking your head free of those stray thoughts, you rubbed the back of your neck with your free hand. The teeth in your mouth grinded against each other as unseen needles poked and prodded into the nerves of your skin; phantom pains of a mistake left unsaid refusing to disappear.

Is this what happened when magic backfires on someone? It's like someone is shoving thousands of tiny daggers into my spine...

Taking your hand off your aching body, you moved over and sat next to Noire. Basking in the cool autumn weather, the both of you sat in silence as rain slowly drizzled across the training area. Peeking over at Noire's side of the forest, you found yourself impressed by her progress. Almost enviously so.

Looking at all the marked trees, many arrows hit their target, with her accuracy varying from the center circle to the second most outer ring. Judging by the impact area, most–if not all–of the arrows were stuck within tree bark. If you had to guess, chances were that you probably couldn't take them out even in your mildly trained state.

Wow, Noire is really good with the bow. I wonder...

Whistling in astonishment, you asked, "Hey, sis. How did you get so good with the bow?"

Her face scrunched itself into one of confusion and sullenness. "Good? I'm not that good. I'm an amateur at best..."

Oh, right. You had almost forgotten that Noire had serious confidence issues. Deeply rooted and defeatist levels of self-confidence, at that.

"Hey," you spoke up, "don't put yourself down. You're a pretty good archer, so don't say that you're an amateur."

With her attention focused onto you, you ignored the pain shooting throughout your body as you hobbled your way over to a nearby tree. Planting the heels of your feet into the muddy ground, you pulled with all of your strength. Once, twice, thrice, you tried and tried to take it out. Even trying to yank it out with your coat as an anchor, with no luck. But even with your desperate attempts, it was futile for you to try and take out the lodged-in-place arrow.

You gestured to the arrow with an impressed grin. "See, I can't even pull the arrow out. That's how good of an archer you are."

She didn't respond as you both left the damp training ground, but a small satisfied smile made itself known on her face as you both travelled back the way you came.

At least she's happy now. She should be proud of being so skilled. Insecurities that preyed on someone's weakness were the worst, and one that I vow to help her get rid of.

Training Roll Failed!
Gained +1 to MAG, SPD, and +5 to Magic Weapon Proficiency - Thunder & Thunder Armor.
Thunder and Thunder Armor proficiency has been raised, both from Novice 0/30 - 5/30

Temporary Affliction/Debuff Gained
Magic Backlash (Electrical Burn)
Due to failing in casting a spell and doing so in bad weather conditions, you have gained a 1st-degree burn on the nape of your neck. Due to this affliction, get a malus of -3 to the next two physical training rolls you attempt.
Will only gain if casting certain elemental magic in certain conditions (Example: Casting Thunder during a Rainstorm, Wind during a Snowstorm, etc)

Support Points Gained!
Gained +5 support points.
Noire Support Rank raised from C-Rank 15/40 to 20/40

Weeks passed by since that one particular incident, and today was another moment in your life where you contemplated what exactly made you decide to put yourself through this very same situation time and time again.

You stood outside the gate to hell only known as Frederick's Fanatical Fitness Hour. Going through your supplies, you made sure that you had all that you needed for the trial by metaphorical and literal fire that awaited you.

Water skin? Check. Spare cloaks in case they get messed up by anything? Check. Food that Cynthia smuggled for me from the Royal Kitchen? Check. My diary filled with my notes of the past 8 years? Check. Alright, I think I have what I need. Time to start another session.

Letting out a sigh of relief, you made your way through the gate. Strangely, it felt like your leg had hit something. With an odd feeling of dread welling up within, you stared downwards and noticed a torn wire. The sound of some wooden contraption filled your ears, and almost instantly you looked up to—

—immediately get bombarded by an assortment of liquids and food. The scent of coffee beans and other unknown smells hit your nose as you stood still, fists clenched together in an unruly rage.

Distantly, you heard some men snickering, "He looks like a court jester."

Seriously? Clown jokes existed here? If you weren't who you were, you would be absolutely furious and show them what a real jester looked like. Thankfully however, their laughter died down as the man of the hour appeared, cowing them into submission.

Tired of this nonsense and wanting to get some training in for the week, you quickly trudged out the assorted pile of food and wine, swapped out your multi stained cloak with a new one, and cautiously examined your surroundings. With a vigilant eye to keep track of anything nefarious, you moved forward.

Unexpectedly but also thankfully, nothing happened.

A grateful sigh exited your lips. You just wanted to train, and you only had a couple of spares cloaks on hand. Was it too much to ask to have at least one week this year without anything bad happening to you?

Walking further into the training grounds, you found a free bench and sat down with relief—

—when something slammed into your face. Wiping some of the unknown substance off of your closed eyes, you opened your eyes and lifted your fingers to see whipped cream on them.

Really, a pie to the face? You didn't even know Ylisse had whipped cream. Or the fact that it was even invented at some point.

Besides that, why use it on you out of all the people here?

Through the viscous substance, you felt your eyebrows twitch. Resigned, you thoroughly cleaned your face with your first replacement cloak and changed it out for a second one.

What was going on? Was someone trying to kill you through innocuous pranks or something? If so, was it an assassin? A spy from Plegia or Valm?

Breaking yourself out of those ridiculous thoughts, you glanced up to see that the training hour had already begun. From the corner of your eyes, Frederick approached. A mild frown on his face, he asked, "Leonard, you have seen Milady Lissa? She seems to have gone off somewhere when she was supposed to be helping me today."

You shook your soaked head, still in deep thought about who could have been the one pranking you.

Was it Lissa? She wouldn't do anything to you, assuming everyone at least knew all the future children. You didn't know many bold enough to mess with you, and by proxy Henry, considering his status as a sadistic Dark Mage.

...Was it one of the future children? That was the only logical conclusion that you could draw from. But if so, who?

Frederick hummed in disapproval, his frown deepening. "I may have to reprimand Lissa once I find her. This has happened far too much for my liking..." With his promise made, he marched off to Naga knows where and left you alone.

Almost immediately after he went out of view, the sound of twigs being crunched and leaves being rustled hit your ears. A female figure walked out of the bushes in the nearby tree line. Stretching her limbs out, her eyes glided across the training ground cautiously.

"Geez, I thought Frederick was going to be talking forever," the woman whined, partly yawning towards the end. Brushing off her yellow dress, her glassy-eyed gaze fell onto you. "Eh? Who are you?" she exclaimed.

To her credit, she attempted to hide her dirty dress and leaf-covered hair with her hands.

"Leonard," you replied, trying to figure out who this woman was. She hummed and strutted up to you curiously, a delicate hand landing onto your shoulder.

...She didn't act the way she appeared to be at all, huh.

"Your name's Leonard, huh? And you said you were getting..." she trailed off, the hidden implication of your plight making her pale, "pranked. Gods damn it, Owain. You're going to get the both of us in major trouble!" Lissa hissed.

Well, that explained the number of pranks done in succession. Gods damn it all. At this rate, you weren't going to get any training in, were you?

"Come on, Leonard. Let's meet up with my son and have a little chat," she said with a far too wide smile, gesturing you to follow her.

Not wanting to piss off the angry mother, you tiredly followed her through the forest. Silence reigned in your trek, the only noise ever present being the sounds of your footsteps hitting the ground below.

Eventually, she stopped in front of a regular tree decorated with a makeshift sign reading "Fortress of Justice". Knocking on it a few times, a blond boy leapt down from above, a makeshift sword held with a ludicrous grip.

Landing with an impressive flourish of his cape, he pointed the glorified stick at the both of you. His current pose, oddly enough, was strikingly similar in your memory.

"Who goes there, strange wanderers of the day? For I am the myth of myths, legend beyond all legends, the hero who shall slay the Sorcerer, the boy who shall save those fair maidens, and he who wields the one and only Mystl—" The boy was cut off from his spiel, with Lissa harshly pulling on his ear. He yelped in shock, turning to face her with indignation.

His mother smiled, a tight grip on his ear as she suggested, "Owain, please talk normally. You have someone to apologize to, after all."

Owain stared at her, dumbfounded as he said, "Me? I, the myth of myths and the legend beyond all legends, have to apologize to the evil Sorcerer? How dare you woman, think that someone such as I shou—GAH OKAY FINE!!! I'll apologize! Mommy, stop pulling on my ear!"

Lissa let go of his ear, a smug smirk on her face. Rolling her eyes, she pushed him towards you. The face of a satisfied mother held itself as she remarked, "It works every time."

"I'm sorry, evil Sorcerer that definitely doesn—," Owain hesitantly paused as Lissa moved to grab his ear again, "does deserve an apology. I shouldn't have done all those pranks on you."

You slowly nodded, trying to figure out what in Naga's name was happening in front of you. "Uh, thanks?"

"See, it wasn't that hard. Also, what kind of hero doesn't want to apologize to someone!" Lissa incredulously questioned.

He puffed his chest out, doing another extremely silly pose. With an ignorant smile on his face, he said, "When in the face of true evil, such as the Sorcerer, heroes never apologize!"

Lissa shook her head, grabbing his arm and dragging him away as she mockingly said, "Sure thing, 'Hero'."

"Eh? WAIT! Don't pull me away from my Fortress of Justice, Mother! Justice needs to be maintained in the lands of Ylisse!"

"It's a tree, Owain. There are more 'Fortresses of Justice' you can make that aren't in a forest, like a tree in the courtyard. Besides, you can help me conduct 'Justice' while I help Frederick him with his fitness hour."

"W-what? Mommy, b-but I don't wanna join them in that hellish trai—"

Their bickering eventually faded off into the distance as you stood still. Your shoulders slumped over as you began reminiscing about this year and just how strange it was.

I meet my sister on my birthday and accidentally knock her out. Then, everyone I know is either doing something important or starting to train themselves. And now, I've just met the most Chuuni child I've ever seen in my entire life. It's like this year was meant to be horrible.

A few moments later, you realized something extremely important.

Frederick likely already started the Fitness Hour, whether or not Lissa was there. You weren't there, instead in the middle of the forest. With a mounting amount of frustration boiling within, you yelled into the sky with literary knowledge that a child like you shouldn't know.

"SON OF A—"

1d100 = 2 + 3(Reincarnate) - 3(Magic Backlash) = 2 = Extreme Fail! DC = 70

Upon letting out your frustrations to the world, you made your way back. Well, keyword being that you tried to make your way back to the training grounds. Noticing that walking around wasn't helping you in making progress, you began to run. Eventually, that run tilted into a full-on sprint throughout the empty forest.

But after sprinting through the forest like a drunk madman for what seemed like an hour, you gave up. No matter what direction you went or ran, it always ended up leading back to the same place. Plainly put, your sense of direction was just god awful, whether you liked to admit or not.

With that sentiment in mind, you laid you back against a tree, exhaustion and resignation taking hold in your mind. There was no way you were going to find your way back.

Well, that was what you thought, anyway. You haven't heard a noise from anything but the stomping of your boots crushing twigs and leaves on the ground. Not even the sounds of birds or any sort of wildlife. It would have honestly been frightening for any child that wasn't you, considering you didn't have much to fear.

...Besides the Fell Dragon and a few other people, to state the obvious.

Thankfully, however, you barely heard the echo of someone calling out your name throughout the forest. Filled with hope that you probably weren't lost or left for dead, you broke out in a sprint towards the voice.

Colliding into with someone covered in green armor, you gasped and tried to catch your breath. Even though they had just started to call for your voice mere moments earlier, it felt like you had been sprinting for hours on end without stopping.

The man gestured toward the saddle of his horse. "Hey kid, mind hopping on the horse? Supper is soon, and the only thing that'll hurt worse than an angry Henry is an empty stomach. Trust me, I know the feeling all too well."

Absently nodding at his words, you went onto the saddle and made yourself comfortable. With a snap of the reigns, the man's horse sped off through the forest and towards glorious salvation. The only saving grace you could think of from this was that, if anything else, all that running around made for a decent workout.

But ignoring that, you focused on the one thing you had learned from this experience. No matter the circumstances, you promised to yourself that you would never go anywhere without a map or another person to guide you ever again.

Training Action Failed!
Gained +1 STR and DEF.
Due to attempting Frederick's Fanatical Fitness Hour four times without success, DC has decreased from 70 to 60 to increase chances of success for the next attempt.

Trait Gained - Where Am I, Again?
You, after being an idiot and not following the sensible adult back to civilization, got lost in a forest and have realized how bad your sense of direction is. Seriously, your location skills are terrible.
Due to this skill, you are more likely to get lost when exploring, more so than any of the other Future Children.
Due to this skill, you shall get a malus of -10 to all exploration actions.

Characters Met!
Owain:

Son of Lissa and ??? ??, Cousin of Lucina and Cynthia, and the most enthusiastic Future Child. An actor and someone with a flair for the heroics, Owain is a child who wants to grow up and be a great hero who is remembered for centuries. You first met him during one of your weekly FFFH sessions, where he got you entangled into a series of pranks that were meant for his mother.
Support Rank - C 5/40 has been gained.

Lissa:
Mother of Owain, Wife of ??? ??, Sister of Chrom, and Princess of Ylisse. A war veteran cleric who has been in the Shepherds since its founding and isn't afraid to use an axe if an enemy approaches her. She's also a prankster and isn't afraid to target anyone. Well, except Frederick and Henry, since Frederick would most likely assign her to FFFH as a punishment while Henry would probably cast some unpleasant hex or curse on her for daring to hurt you. Hey, don't ask me how a retainer can punish their royal charge! It happens.

A couple of days had passed since that previous... incident. You stayed within your room to study and hung out with your sister in favor of going out, afraid of what the world would throw at you.

The silent and hidden vulture named karma still haunted your mind.

However, once you had shaken off said fear with both Noire's reassurance and your father's assistance of checking for curses, you acted upon the next part of your training plan.

It was definitely one of the more difficult and arduous struggles alone, but it had paid off splendidly.

Now, you were within a room that was very blue, very extravagant, and very out of reach from your current and future paygrade.

"So, you want me to train your sword skills?" Lucina asked, her legs dangling off the edge of her bed.

You nodded, shuddering at her ever piercing stare, "If it isn't too much to ask, yes. I want an alternative if I ever get into a close-range fight and magic isn't the right answer to every encounter."

Sometime in the future, there would come a day where you got caught off guard by some enemy in close range combat, but you refused to let that happen. If that meant training with a weapon you knew nothing about, then so be it.

The bluenette hummed as she answered, "Hmm, very well then. Follow me, I'll bring you to the barracks so you know where to get a sword. If you wish to practice by yourself, this is the best place to get the correct equipment." She jumped off of her bed, moving to exit the room.

Not wanting to be left behind, you picked up the wooden crate you had hauled over to her room. Carrying it in a safe but comfortable manner, you caught up to Lucina. The Falchion was attached to her hip, the tip of the sword almost dragging itself on the marble flooring.

She raised an eyebrow as she examined the contents of the box. "You thought to bring extra swords. Good."

The two of you made your way out of her room as she lead you through a corridor. Guards were stationed around every corner and held their spears high up in the air, vigilant for any suspicious activity.

Eventually, the two of you stopped in front of a large open doorway with two heavily armored guards on each side. Lucina went through the doorway, turning to face you. You stepped forward—

"Halt right there, child. Entry past this point is prohibited to those not affiliated with the Royal Family or the Ylissean Army," said a guard, holding out an arm.

The other guard, an older man with visible wrinkles on his face, absently nodded as he affirmed, "Indeed. My fellow guardsmen is right, young 'un. No one is allowed except those, erm... What did ya say again, son?"

An annoyed sigh escaped the younger guard's lips as he irritatedly said, "The Royal Family and the Ylissean Army, father."

The older man snapped his fingers as he turned to you and said, "Ya heard him right there. Only the Royal Army and Ylissean Family may enter."

"Father, that's not what I said..."

"Well then, what did ya say, huh? 'Cause that's what I heard right then and there!"

Lucina coughed into her hand, their argument going to a halt as she bluntly said, "What is the problem here? Leonard is my friend. He has my permission to enter this location with me."

The younger guard's gaze fell onto you with an emotion you couldn't place. "Are you sure you trust him, young princess? He may be letting you bring him here for motives unknown to you."

Ah. After listening to him speak, you knew what emotion that was.

Disgust. Disgust for what you didn't know exactly, but you had a subtle feeling as to what it was about you that disgusted him.

The war with Plegia wasn't that long ago, after all.

She shook her head, undeterred as she continued, "I'm certain. Now please, let my friend through." At their unmoved expressions, she added, "Do I have to bring my father into this?"

That unsubtle threat mentioned, the two men stepped aside, allowing you entry. Awkwardly stepping into the room, the door behind you closed as the younger guard muttered, "Damn Plegian rat."

Ignoring that very rude and unneeded remark, you moved further into the room and admired the cleanliness of it all.

The inside of the room was almost too fresh—as though someone cleaned it at every waking moment a person wasn't occupying it. Target dummies didn't have marks or scratches of any kind, pristine beyond possibility. Weapons in the weapon racks shined with a glint you didn't think was possible of considering their average make. Tomes lined the shelves neatly, an array of powerful but assorted spells waiting to be utilized by a mage in training.

It was a paradise for anyone who wanted to train, regardless of their weaponry and specialization.

1d100 = 13 + 10(Psychology & Psychiatry) + 5(Blue Handkerchief) + 3(Reincarnate) + 3(C-Rank Support) - 3(Magical Backlash) = 31 = Barely Failed! DC = 40

"So, what do you know about swordsmanship?" Lucina asked, unsheathing her sword.

"Uh, I think I know how to grip it?" you said, questioning yourself and your horrible knowledge of swordsmanship.

"And? Is that it?" She pressed further, an undertone of heavy disappointment present.

Well, now you felt really bad. She was probably anticipating a potential sparring partner, not a dunce in swordplay.

You held your hands up in the air, placating her mood as you elaborated, "I may not know much, but I will try my best when training. You have my word on that."

She met your panicked stare, searching for something unknown to you. Seemingly satisfied, she hefted a bronze sword from the crate you held and handed it over to you. Grabbing the handle, the weight of the sword leaned into your hand. It was far heavier than you ever expected a beginner weapon to be.

"Show me your sword stance," ordered Lucina, brooking no quarter.

Obliging her request, you quickly positioned your right foot slightly ahead of your left one and relaxed your muscles. The sword extended out from your right hand, your left hand ready to pull out a tome at a moment's notice.

She moved around your still form, examining the stance with an analytical eye.

"Your stance is good for someone who doesn't have a good amount of experience as a swordsman, but you have some things wrong," she placed her hands onto your shoulders, "Square your shoulders, that's a problem you have with your stance. Your strikes will rarely hit if you attempt to swing your sword right now."

"Also, you need to bend your knees slightly. I'm glad that you took your magic tome into consideration when making this stance, but you need to keep yourself balanced if you intend to strike someone with a sword," The bluenette added. She backed away as you performed your stance with her suggestions taken into consideration.

Then, with your shoulders squared and knees slightly bent, you swung at the dummy with a small amount of force. A visibly clear diagonal cut made itself known on the torso.

She nodded in approval. With a smile on her face, she said, "Well done! Now, attempt to do multiple slashes on the target. Even though most people will be moving, you can catch people off guard and get a quick surprise attack on them," she pointed at another pristine target dummy, "Try doing that on the target over there."

Acknowledging her words, you diagonally and horizontally slashed in quick succession. As a finisher, you thrusted it through the lower half of the dummy.

Lucina examined the dummy, sighing with a raised brow. She turned to you with a stern expression, making you flinch as she said, "Those consecutive slashes were good, but that thrusting maneuver would have gotten you killed on the battlefield. Never assume an enemy would be staggered after the first swing and instantly go for a killing blow," she easily pulled the bronze sword out of the dummy, "It's difficult to pull out a sword from a dead man's body, after all."

The way she explained all of that, especially the sort about the dead body, frightened you. The experience of death was fresh in your mind, but you never killed anyone.

If you killed someone with magic, you'd likely be far away from their corpse. But if you used a sword, you would be able to see their lifeless eyes staring back at you, crimson coating the ground and your body. Wiping the sword clean of the man's innards you just killed, you imagined a family distraught from you murdering their dear family member on the battlefie—

"Hey, are you okay?" Lucina asked with concern, waving her hands in front of you.

Clearing your head of those very morbid thoughts, you responded, "Y-yeah, I'm fine. I was just thinking about potential battlefield scenarios." Technically, that wasn't incorrect.

At your words, she clapped her hands together. "Well, I can definitely see your potential in swordsmanship. As such, I will offer you a deal."

You perked up, carefully paying attention to her upcoming words.

"Every Saturday and Sunday, we will train your swordsmanship until I feel you worthy of leaving my tutelage. Do you accept my proposal?" Lucina explained, poking the tip of Falchion into a stray dummy noncommittally.

Every Saturday and Sunday, huh? It was tempting, very much so. The opportunity to be capable of wielding a sword with your magic was tantalizing, but that meant you had to follow up on these training sessions until you were deemed worthy of leaving her apprenticeship.

That wouldn't be easy; that would be arduous and much more to add onto your already full plate of plans. It would also undoubtedly be an endeavor and a half to accomplish.

But the results were going to be absolutely worth it once you did achieve that level of swordsmanship.

After thinking over her offer, you decide to…
[][Lucina's Offer] Accept the deal. Having some form of swordsmanship would be useful in the future. (Permanently Takes Up 1 out of 3 Training Slots until Sword Proficiency - Expert is reached, but increases SKL stat, Sword proficiency point, and support point gains by 50%.)
[][Lucina's Offer] Deny the deal. Although swordsmanship is incredibly tempting, you have other things that are higher up on your list to accomplish.
[][Lucina's Offer] Write-in

Training Roll Failed!
Gained +2 to your SKL stat and +10 to Weapon Proficiency - Sword, promoting its rank from Untrained 10/15 to Novice 5/30.

Training Location Unlocked - Royal Barracks
After being trained by Lucina, you now know the location of a very good training location. If you have either the Blue Handkerchief or ????? ?? ??? ?????, you are allowed entry into this training heaven.
Gain a permanent 25% boost to all types of weapons (magical and non-magical) training when using this location.
Milord, do we already need more training dummies? - Frederick to Chrom after one training session.

Support Points Gained!
Gained +5 support points
Lucina Support Rank raised from C-Rank 15/40 - 20/40

Once again in this new life, another year had eventually passed. Another birthday party was celebrated and another milestone was hit. However, this year was far more exciting for a different reason.

For your ninth birthday, your father had chosen to bring you somewhere for a month in order to personally train your magic. To be more specific, Dark Magic. He was finally going to teach you how cast and properly utilize.

Looking through the list of locations that your father handed to you, most of them were good choices with their fair share of upsides and downsides.

The first was a very close location. Themis was particularly close to Ylisstol Castle and the home of Maribelle, so access to healing was ready and available if you happened to injure yourself. A notable thing to account for, however, was that the usage of dark magic in Ylisse was considered illegal unless permitted by someone of high status. This was in part due to the Church of Naga forbidding usage of it on the country's grounds, but also in part with citizens loathing anything associated with Plegia due to war casualties.

Another location was fairly close, though not as close as the former option. Regna Ferox was home to a nation of warriors, particularly one that determined their leaders with a quad-yearly test of both strength and political power. The problem was the same as Themis'. A smaller but still noticeable hatred of Dark Magic existed due to allying with Ylisseans during the fairly recent Plegian war.

The third option was a far more far out location. The Mila Tree was a good place since it was a fairly holy and religious site filled with Light Magic due to housing Tiki. The only problem was that the light magic may be too potent for you to cast and practice Dark Magic. Besides that, there were the facts that you needed to somehow outmaneuver Valmese soldiers and explan why you needed to go into Valmese version of Jesus' home without sounding like a profound heretic or blasphemer.

The fourth option was another far out but otherwise potent location. Rosanne was a fairly popular location due to it being home to the best Wyvern Riders in the continent. The fact that it has tons of wyverns was also a good sign as wyverns, from what you had read about in the books around your room, tended to populate around magic latent locations. However, it ultimately had the same problem with The Mila Tree, being too entrenched with Valmese soldiers and under Walhart's rule. You doubted Ylisseans were welcomed there, especially due to recent conflicts between Ylisse and Valm.

The final location, well... you hadn't noticed it until now. Though that was in part of the location and how specific it was.

"Father, why is Carrion Isle a place we can go to? Isn't it in Plegia?" you asked, wondering why he listed down a location was within country that was the sworn enemy of Ylisse.

Silence reigned the conversation until he turned away and andwered, "It's where my parents are buried."

At that information, you didn't dare to bring up that topic in conversation. It was clear that he was extremely uncomfortable about them and from what you could remember about your father, Henry was abandoned by his parents when he was a child.

Yet, as horrible as it all sounded, it forced you into your pragmatic thinking mode. Upon analyzing Carrion Isle closely, you found that it was full of surprisingly good perks.

As a potential training location, it made sense. Carrion Isle was in the desert and natives would most likely acknowledge the both of you as Plegians. They might also ignore the both of you because your clothing and appearances were similar to those of Plegian nationality. Dark Magic was also commonplace due to it being the main power force of Plegia, making it an ideal place to train and hone your Dark Magic. The one problem was that your father is famous, extremely so. He was one of the soldiers who had defected from the Plegian Army to join the Shepherds and was, in all likelyhood, universally hated by Plegian officials. Who knew if spies were watching and waiting for him to come back, only to quickly attempt murder or assassination?

After bringing up all of these points with your father and discussing with him, he brought you to...

Pick however many locations you want, but only one shall win the vote.
[][Birthday Trip] Carrion Isle, a deceptively peaceful place to rest and camp at. Located in Plegia, the western neighbor of Ylisse (?)
[][Birthday Trip] Themis, the westernmost city of Ylisse (?)
[][Birthday Trip] Regna Ferox, the warrior nation of the Feroxi and northern neighbor of Ylisse (?)
[][Birthday Trip] The Mila Tree, the residence of Tiki. Located in Valm, home of Walhart The Conqueror (?)
[][Birthday Trip] Rosanne, the country formerly ruled by Duke Virion and home to the best Wyvern Riders. Located in Valm, currently taken over by Walhart The Conqueror (?)

Votes for the next chapter:
  • Questions and Answers
  • Training Offer
  • Ninth Birthday Trip

Note from the QM:
You thought the story was dead but it was I, Dio! the update! Seriously, I'm glad to be back and writing this quest! :) Also, I apologize that this took a while to post, life came and decided to shove its way into my already filled schedule.

Onto the chapter itself, I tried to show the ramifications of bad rolls. Hopefully, I showed the consequences with them involving magic. Physical rolls won't be too bad, considering your magic is much more powerful and potent than a regular dinky sword or easily healable bruise. Well, unless you use a Levin Sword or something similar and fail the roll. Also, I decided to spoiler the training results so that the text doesn't inflate the chapter too much. Let me know if you think it looks good or if I should change it back to what it was before.

Side Note: At the request of some people, I will allow others to roll one-two of the dice when it's necessary. Just so the rolls are more random and so this is less likely to happen again.
Just a quick question to the readers: Is this a good (in terms of writing legibility) quest, considering I type most, if not all, of this quest on mobile?

I want the opinions of others besides my friends since my PC is getting fixed and I'm doing my updates on mobile for now. Because if people think the writing needs some more polishing, I can go to the local library and work on it there when I have free time. If you think it's fine, I'll keep doing it on mobile until my PC gets fixed.

Also, informational tabs will be updated tomorrow morning as I am slowly turning into my namesake :V.

EDIT: 10/7/22, fixed past/present tense errors and adjusted the flow of the text. Also added more meat to the text to make it less stilted overall.

Last edited:
Welcome back! The update looks good to me. For reference, I'm on my phone.

Henry dies during the training trip, I think. If I am remembering correctly, he was swarmed while trying to give his child a chance to escape. Or does this happen later in life? I don't know. But the time seems ripe for a tragic, heroic upgrade.

[X][Questions and Answers] Yes, you do have a question or two you want to ask Noire.
-[X][Questions and Answers] Why does she have that weird necklace? Is it connected to her odd behavior earlier?
-[X][Questions and Answers] How and why is she so knowledgeable in magic such as curses and hexes?

Meh

[X][Lucina's Offer] Accept the deal. Having some form of swordsmanship would be useful in the future. (Permanently Takes Up 1 out of 3 Training Slots until Sword Proficiency - Expert is reached, but increases SKL stat, Sword proficiency point, and support point gains by 50%.)

A 1.5x multiplier in exchange for locking a slot that we'd probably spend on this anyway? Sign me up!

[X][Birthday Trip] Carrion Isle, a deceptively peaceful place to rest and camp at. Located in Plegia, the eastern neighbor of Ylisse (?)

Dad backstory. Dadstory?

[X][Lucina's Offer] Deny the deal. Although swordsmanship is incredibly tempting, you have other things that are higher up on your list to accomplish.

[X][Birthday Trip] Carrion Isle, a deceptively peaceful place to rest and camp at. Located in Plegia, the eastern neighbor of Ylisse (?)

So Walhart is still alive in this timeline. That's interesting. Carrion isle will give us more Henry, and I want axes or lances.

Now I'm on my laptop. It still looks good on my end, @ItzNarcotic

As for votes, I have no questions I feel like asking Noire. I need more time to think about it.

[X][Lucina's Offer] Accept the deal. Having some form of swordsmanship would be useful in the future. (Permanently Takes Up 1 out of 3 Training Slots until Sword Proficiency - Expert is reached, but increases SKL stat, Sword proficiency point, and support point gains by 50%.)

[X][Questions and Answers] Yes, you do have a question or two you want to ask Noire.
-[X][Questions and Answers] Why does she have that weird necklace? Is it connected to her odd behavior earlier?
-[X][Questions and Answers] Where was she this whole time? Why did Mother take her away?

-[X][Questions and Answers] Where was she this whole time? Why did Mother take her away?

[X][Birthday Trip] The Mila Tree, the residence of Tiki. Located in Valm, home of Walhart The Conqueror (?)

Well, I wanted to visit Tiki because obviously dragon girl, but I'll settle for a relaxing vacation.

Edit: Fuck it, let's go to Tiki! Tiki, Tiki, Tiki!

Last edited:

[X][Birthday Trip] The Mila Tree, the residence of Tiki. Located in Valm, home of Walhart The Conqueror (?)

I thought the update was good, but was confused by the map. I'm fairly certain that Plegia is West of Ylisse, and Regna Ferox is North.
Annnnnd I knew I got something wrong... Whoops?
Everyone, this is what happens when you haven't played the game in about 2-3 years and don't decide to do a quick search on locations...:oops:
I'll rectify it next update, since everyone seems to have voted for the typos already :V

Update looks good to me too, on mobile.

Gotta say, I'm glad that failing doesn't make us lose out on anything but the best of stuff, cause otherwise I'd be quite unhappy with how often we do. The sense of direction bit is kinda funny though. Makes for a good, memorable, and potentially funny character trait.

Also, as interesting as going to Carron Isle would be, I'd much prefer hittin up Tiki, and getting a look at Valm. Awakening was a great story, but I really feel like they could've gone into things, history, and the setting far more than they did. But, that's why we've got things like fanfiction, and Three Houses!

Every child character has their "maladjusted" trait. It's just that we share ours with Wallace (who everyone forgets because Geitz is better and isn't in a fog chapter). Which is fine. Getting lost leading to shenanigans happens.

Also, Valm has so much more that could have been done with it instead of being made into Filler Arc to let the Grimleal thing breathe.

-[X][Questions and Answers] Do you want that necklace you were wearing back? It seems it does strange things to you?
-[X][Questions and Answers] So which of us is the older sibling, sister?

Given our world knowledge we kinda already know the information in the given necklace question, so I feel this is more appropriate, we are finding out her opinions of the necklace and if she truly wants it. Last question and answer is just kinda to be cute.

Back