The only weird thing about this movie is between it and Endgame the implication is Natasha never mentioned her adopted family to any of the Avengers, despite several years passing.
Nat's always someone who kept herself at arms length to others and in Ross' eyes the real instigator of trouble which justify the accords as she has a lot of secrets she wouldn't tell to others

Also I am now covinced it won't be Ross who forms the Thunderbolts but Madame Hydra as Phase 4 has been doing a lot of genderflip of lesser known villains

Last edited:
I like how Antonia is some sort of rapidly aging mutant considering Olya Kurylenko is five years older than Scarlett Johansen (and looks like it) who blew up her character as a child when her character was a full grown adult.

Sped up aging. The Red Room has scary bio-tech, in the comics.

They cloned Natasha....

The only weird thing about this movie is between it and Endgame the implication is Natasha never mentioned her adopted family to any of the Avengers, despite several years passing.

We may or may not find out more stuff in the upcoming Hawkeye miniseries, but As Natasha had know many of the Avengers for many years of her Adult life and seemed to have decent relations with most all of them, while having no interaction with her made up Soviet/Russian family after age 12 in the mid 1990s, bar the brief movie reunion, she may just not have felt it worth the effort to tell about them.

It's possible that one or more of them where victims of Thanos, or in the case of her "parents" possibly killed off screen at some point after The Snap. Prior to the Time Hiest to reverse The Snap, she might not have seen any point bringing up mention of a dead made up family, and by the time they figured out how to undo The Snap, there may not have been time to bring up her other "family".

The only one who might have known something would likely have been Clint Barton, and considering he went off the reservation after his family died during The Snap, he wouldn't have been in a position to say anything, and Natasha might not have felt comfortable or known how to bring it up.

It was a solid but not outstanding Marvel movie, Taskmaster was basically a boring terminator knockoff, but Marvel's had maybe half a dozen good villians in nearly 25 movies and series. So one more mediocre villian was hardly a surprise.

Last edited:
Kind of disappointed by the post credits scene, like we know that Florence Pugh isn't actually gonna kill Hawkeye any fights they have will end up with no victor and the former will eventually conded they have no logical right to kill them.

Where did does it says that?
The undercover mission Natasha, Yelena, Melina, and Alexei were on in the prologue in the 90s involved stealing the mind control formula from SHIELD, or rather unbeknownst to them a HYDRA cell within SHIELD. So, the Russians ended up destroying HYDRA's research into mind control, possibly delaying their plans for global domination and forcing them to use something like Project Insight instead.

The undercover mission Natasha, Yelena, Melina, and Alexei were on in the prologue in the 90s involved stealing the mind control formula from SHIELD, or rather unbeknownst to them a HYDRA cell within SHIELD. So, the Russians ended up destroying HYDRA's research into mind control, possibly delaying their plans for global domination and forcing them to use something like Project Insight instead.
An important point is that the flashback is set in 1995, well after the fall of the Soviet Union and during what was Yeltsen's presidency in real life.

Florence Pugh limply trying to whip her hair back like Black Widow was hilarious.

Last edited:
I'm surprised I like it as much as I did. It probably has some of the best action scenes in a MCU film, without the space gods and Iron Men flying around.

I only had one complain and that's Taskmaster.

The moment the Baddie's daughter was mention I knew she was gonna be Taskmaster. That's a real shame because Taskmaster is pretty fucking awesome. His backstory is "hey where do all these hired trained goons come from?" which is just delightful. Taskmaster being wasted on some random girl Widow murdered is just eh.

Overall, I give it a 7/10. Widow's sister and dad really added a lot. It's a shame 2020 uhhhh happened.
Pretty much my thoughts.

I liked it much more than I expected since I had few expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised. While the story is what you expect (a spy thriller esque à la Cap movies), it really fit post Infinity Saga for there to be a low stakes story that you can watch with no or little prior knowledge of the MCU, but the real standout is Natasha and her family, especially Yelena and Alexei. The first scenes of the movie are so strong, and very harrowing.

The film really sells well the dynamics of people who pretended to be a fake family and the resentment of the daughters towards the parents for treating something that was real for them as just a mission. Yelena is a very good deuteragonist, in terms of humour and as an emotional component because she was the hardest hit by the fake family falling apart (as an aside, the child actresses for Yelena and Natasha were great).

The movie also not so subtly equates the Red Room with child/human trafficking in a really chilling way for a MCU film. The General calling little girls the most wasted resources that he plans to use hit weirdly hard for me.

Personally, I liked some of what they did with Taskmaster. You can easily guess it is the dead daughter from the get go, but I still like what they did with the character, where instead of just an antagonist Natasha decides to save her. She's a bit like Ghost, though less developed, which is what of my main criticisms of it. We should have gotten more scenes of Taskmaster on her own, either studying more combat moves or having weirdly tender moments to herself, something like what they do with Black Noir in The Boys: another silent badass, but serves weird gags by having bizarre quirks and is shown as strangely sensitive like playing piano and crying over a dead friend. Another unfortunate criticism of Taskmaster is that the MCU doesn't have a lot of distinctive combat styles, so Taskmaster was limited in who there was to copy.

The film's bad points are, to me, the shaky cam/cuts during some fights, where I lost track of where ScarJo was a lot. Also, the fact that the movie's story is good and emotional makes it all the more disappointing we only got it now after Black Widow had died instead of earlier. It's a good sendoff to the character (the post credits where Yelena is just in pain over her sister's tomb is kino), but it does leave some bitter taste in your mouth. It also makes it hard to feel Natasha threatened by stuff in the movie, though this is alleviated by caring more about other characters in danger.

I give it a 7 or 8/10

Last edited:
Taskmaster has the copy-paste ability in the movies, but a bunch of information going through his HUD in the movie was kinda lame. Compared to what we see in the comics and how there's an overlay with Taskmaster having different appearances, even if it's in small windows.

But that's a minor complaint, and I'm just doing the negative thing. It is a decent movie, and it was probably a good thing it came after Falcon and Winter Soldier, considering how top tier the action is.

This movie was pretty good for me but it does pretty much have the weakest villains of the MCU, and the MCU rarely has strong villains so that's saying something

Pretty much my thoughts.

I liked it much more than I expected since I had few expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised. While the story is what you expect (a spy thriller esque à la Cap movies), it really fit post Infinity Saga for there to be a low stakes story that you can watch with no or little prior knowledge of the MCU, but the real standout is Natasha and her family, especially Yelena and Alexei. The first scenes of the movie are so strong, and very harrowing.

The film really sells well the dynamics of people who pretended to be a fake family and the resentment of the daughters towards the parents for treating something that was real for them as just a mission. Yelena is a very good deuteragonist, in terms of humour and as an emotional component because she was the hardest hit by the fake family falling apart (as an aside, the child actresses for Yelena and Natasha were great).

The movie also not so subtly equates the Red Room with child/human trafficking in a really chilling way for a MCU film. The General calling little girls the most wasted resources that he plans to use hit weirdly hard for me.

Personally, I liked some of what they did with Taskmaster. You can easily guess it is the dead daughter from the get go, but I still like what they did with the character, where instead of just an antagonist Natasha decides to save her. She's a bit like Ghost, though less developed, which is what of my main criticisms of it. We should have gotten more scenes of Taskmaster on her own, either studying more combat moves or having weirdly tender moments to herself, something like what they do with Black Noir in The Boys: another silent badass, but serves weird gags by having bizarre quirks and is shown as strangely sensitive like playing piano and crying over a dead friend. Another unfortunate criticism of Taskmaster is that the MCU doesn't have a lot of distinctive combat styles, so Taskmaster was limited in who there was to copy.

The film's bad points are, to me, the shaky cam/cuts during some fights, where I lost track of where ScarJo was a lot. Also, the fact that the movie's story is good and emotional makes it all the more disappointing we only got it now after Black Widow had died instead of earlier. It's a good sendoff to the character (the post credits where Yelena is just in pain over her sister's tomb is kino), but it does leave some bitter taste in your mouth. It also makes it hard to feel Natasha threatened by stuff in the movie, though this is alleviated by caring more about other characters in danger.

I give it a 7 or 8/10

I wonder how much the camera angles and cuts were deliberately to ape the Bourne movies, because the film feels like a love letter to the Bourne movies in terms of just how so many scenes are shot and framed - the opening scene has Natasha saying to Ross "you look tired, you should stop working so hard," which makes no sense except as a callback to the time Bourne did it to Landy in the second movie. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a deliberate attempt to hew closely to how the Bourne movies filmed action scenes in how the action scenes were shot and directed.

Scarlett Johansson is becoming truly powerful, now she's playing the role of a white man

I wonder how much the camera angles and cuts were deliberately to ape the Bourne movies, because the film feels like a love letter to the Bourne movies in terms of just how so many scenes are shot and framed - the opening scene has Natasha saying to Ross "you look tired, you should stop working so hard," which makes no sense except as a callback to the time Bourne did it to Landy in the second movie. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a deliberate attempt to hew closely to how the Bourne movies filmed action scenes in how the action scenes were shot and directed.

Scarlett Johansson is becoming truly powerful, now she's playing the role of a white man
First she came for the Asian Female Lead Actor role, but I was silent, cause I was not an Asian Female Lead Actor......

I'm just wondering how they will fix Taskmaster(IF they ever bother to, they wasted A.I.M. in a single line in IM3 despite a big thing in the comics) as it seems kinda hard in this situation unlike the Mandarin where just saying there's a real one was enough.

Back