Avatar: The Last Dicebender (A:TLA/A:LOK Quest)

Something I have to wonder, is what people think this vote says about Tie. He was afraid of being forced to leave his home, but when he was given the option to stay, he says "Nah, fuck this place, I'm out." Choosing to leave his family in order to learn the other elements, when doing so is in no way neccessary and is completely optional.
Man, this always happens with shinies in sufficient velocity...

Last edited:
Vote Tally : Avatar: The Last Dicebender (A:TLA/A:LOK Quest) | Page 59 | Sufficient Velocity [Posts: 1460-1545]
##### NetTally 1.9.9

[X] Plan Immortal God of Growth
-[X] Go to the Fire Nation with the White Lotus.
-[X] (Mid-Term) See the Fire Nation Palace. (+2,500 XP, +2CP.)
-[X] (Mid-Term) Earn a reputation in the Fire Nation. (+7,000 XP, +8CP.)
-[X] (Short-Term) Learn Firebending. (+500 XP.)
-[X] (Short-Term) Convince Hue-Sar to come with you. (+50 XP. Note: Easy.)
-[X] (-5 CP.) Tales from the Si Wong Desert. (???)
-[X] (-20 CP.) You can train once more every turn. (May only be taken once.)
No. of Votes: 18

[X] Plan Si-Wong Dunes Keep Me Home
-[X] Try to convince them to bring the master to you. Studying in a home environment will have a positive impact on your training. Maybe some charisma will help.
--[X] Otherwise, stay here for another year.
-[X] (Short-Term) Read through the Proverb book. (+100 XP, +???)
-[X] (Short-Term) Unlock the Earth Chakra. (+1,000 XP, +1CP.)
-[X] (-5 CP.) +10 Charisma.
No. of Votes: 12

-[X] (-1 CP.) +2 Intelligence.
-[X] (-1 CP.) +2 Charisma.
No. of Votes: 1

Total No. of Voters: 31

Aaalright.
Adhoc vote count started by Birdsie on Mar 19, 2018 at 10:09 AM, finished with 1564 posts and 31 votes.

[X] Plan Si-Wong Dunes Keep Me Home
    -[X] Try to convince them to bring the master to you. Studying in a home environment will have a positive impact on your training. Maybe some charisma will help.
    --[X] Otherwise, stay here for another year.
    -[X] (Short-Term) Read through the Proverb book. (+100 XP, +???)
    -[X] (-5 CP.) +10 Charisma.
    [X] Plan Earth First, THEN the other elements
    [X] Stay at home. You ain't going nowhere. Nuh-uh. (Stay for one year longer. You may repeat choice afterwards.)
    [X] (Short-Term) Read through the Proverb book. (+100 XP, +???)
    [X] (Short-Term) Unlock the Earth Chakra. (+1,000 XP, +1CP.)
    [X] (-20 CP.) You can train once more every turn. (May only be taken once.)
    [X] Stay at home. You ain't going nowhere. Nuh-uh. (Stay for one year longer. You may repeat choice afterwards.)
    -[X] (-1 CP.) +2 Intelligence.
    -[X] (-1 CP.) +2 Charisma.

The Key of Pai Sho - 2

"Since the dawn of time, there have been people like you," the spirit grimly assessed. Its red eyes observe the mortal before it, who is not afraid in the slightest. "The way you behave. Your thoughts are disconnected from any pattern of risk versus reward."

The man answers unstruck by the statement. "What of it?"

"You're troublesome because you're reckless. You'd die for your cause if you had to."

A hundred-mile stare is the only answer that he got. The spirit is quiet for a moment, then it shifts to look at the mortal from another side. It observes and ascertains him, everything about him, like a trophy or an object. It then offers, "I could use a servant like that. I can offer you overwhelming power. You'd become the strongest bender in the world."

"Except for the Avatar," the man corrects, but his eyes still perked at the word 'strongest.' He gives the spirit an intrigued look and his cold, distant eyes shifted into a polite form. He looks the spirit straight in the eyes, staring into it, then says respectfully but blandly, "Please, do elaborate."

The spirit smirks.

DC: 5
Roll: 1d20=7
Success!
+50 XP!

Huesar, as he had decided to rearrange the way his name is spelled, packs up his items (not that he had many,) and puts them in a brown leather bag. You're sitting beside him and looking emptily into the distance, where you see a White Lotus member speaking with your father. Neither of them are happy about the conversation, but you're too far away and there is too much of a ruckus around you to hear exactly what is happening.

By ruckus, you mean the presence of several White Lotus members. Two of them, in particular, are packing up your possessions. Everything that you and dad decided you would require, except for food and clothing; as those would be provided. By required things, he meant local tea leaves that you are used to, your book of proverbs, and the only pair of boots you have, as they are not worn that often out here in the desert as one may imagine. Siph is nowhere to be seen, but presumably, she will return soon.

Mom walks up and looks at you. She's holding back tears and has a pained look, like someone smeared poison ivy all over her face. "Tié," she says. Upon merely uttering the word, you see her not quite cringe, but react in a similar way; a strong, sudden emotion. You can't tell what it is, but her throat seems to have locked up for a brief second and she gripped her hands together tightly, clenching her fists and shaking them in place at the same time.

DC: 12
Roll: 1d20=9
Failure!

You look at her, then take a deep breath. "Mom?" You tilt your head, looking at her. She looks up at you and having her attention, you ask, "Is everything okay? It's not like I'm going away for good, right?"

She smiles. "Yes, yes. You're right," she confirms and you can tell that this kind of assurance was exactly what she needed to hear, but you can sense that she's only calmed down externally. She's telling herself it's okay, but she doesn't think that, and she's not about to start thinking that because of some words.

DC: 10
Roll: 1d20+5=25!
Critical Success!
+500 XP! +1 CP!

"Mom." You stand up and walk to the woman who raised you, then you jump up and embrace her. She kneels slightly, leveling with you. She weeps softly, rubbing the back of your head affectionately. You smile and tighten your grip. "Be strong, okay? I promise I will visit as often as I can."

"My boy... my boy is the Avatar..." she whispers quietly, her voice trembling with each syllable. After a moment of repetition of that exact sentence, her voice and her state stabilize as if coming to accept the meaning of her words. You hold onto her for almost ten seconds, then finally let go and look her in the eyes. You look strong and determined and your eyes have an iron presence. It gives you the demeanor of a serious adult and is unbefitting of an eight-year-old who should be playing with toys, but it's only a play you put on for her. Deep down, you're almost as shaken as her, just better at hiding it. You hate to admit it, but a life of being so closely connected to spirituality has made you mature exceptionally, no ––– supernaturally quickly.

Too bad that mom won't ever see you grow up.

+500 XP.
+1 CP.
Convince Hue-Sar to come with you. (+50 XP.) Fulfilled! +50 XP!
Level Up!

One night before you depart. This is the last time, the last night, that you will get to spend at home. It's obvious you're not asleep. Instead, you're on your house's rooftop, looking at the vast desert and the starlit sky that contrasts with it.

You hear footsteps and before you can orient yourself, Siph is sitting beside you. She has a poor expression, the opposite of her usual attitude. Regardless, she seems to be in a better mood than your parents. You don't have to try to read her body language or ask, to know that it's because she remembers your promise.

"Hey," she says with no emotion.

"Hey."

"So, when's the earliest that I'll be seeing you?"

You shrug, clueless. "I dunno." You take a moment to think, then hazard a guess. "Four, maybe five years? I don't know the Avatar's training regime or vacation days."

She almost smiles at that. Almost. "You can always take a ship to the mainland when no one's looking and..." She stops speaking once she realizes the idea is absolutely ridiculous, even for one of her schemes. An eight-year-old, even may he be the Avatar, traveling half the world on his own, unaided, would be ridiculous. Especially if just to see his family.

"Or you can come with me," you propose, only as a joke. To make it clear, you release a stifled and fake chuckle immediately afterward. You wouldn't want her leaving your parents and tribe behind. Just because you have to, doesn't mean she has to. She has the privilege of free will, and you do not. You clench your fists at the thought of being, basically, a slave to the entire world. But you soon cast away this anger. Someone has to do it.

And that's when several more angry thoughts cross your mind. One part of your soul tells you: 'But why does that someone have to be me of all people on the planet?' while another says: 'I have no right to complain, this is my duty.'

You can feel the conflict split you from the inside. You hit the sandstone railing of the rooftop, making a chunk fly down to the streets. Siph looks at you. Her tranquility is replaced by sudden worry. "Whoa! Everything alright?"

You know what you have to do. You know what you have to say. You do the responsible thing. Keeping your tears behind your eyes, you answer with a falsely happy, excited voice, trying not to let your breathing become irregular or your nose sniff even once.

"Yeah. I'm just... excited, to see new places and meet new people. You know, I have to look at the bright side of things, right?"

Every - single - word - in - that - sentence - was - a - complete - lie.

DC: 16
Roll: 1d20=20
Critical Success!
+100 XP! +1 CP!

Siph nods. "I guess." She is none the wiser to the pain you're bottling up. Good, that's very good. You nearly calm down internally, but from the other side, you almost have a mental breakdown over it. Sharing your pain before you go away is the last thing you want to do. A burden like that would make her think about what you're going through daily. It's just unnecessarily sharing the torture and it makes the weight of it not even a feather lighter.

You'll have to meditate real long to let this out of your system.

+100 XP.
+1 CP.

A convoy. You, Roku, Huesar, three White Lotus masters, and six other members who are along with the expedition. All of you get onto a particularly large sand-slider and two of the White Lotus benders make it move forward. Although their flow is strong, their movements are clumsy and sloppy and you discern they are not native sandbenders and have learned sandbending techniques in the span of the last week, if not shorter.

You sit at the edge of the slider. Roku sits behind you, resting after his morning hunt after which the White Lotus members struggled for ten minutes to drag him onto the slider. One of them was almost paralyzed. Honestly, you could have just told Roku to get on, but watching them struggle provided you with too much of the much-desired comic relief you needed to take some stress off of you. You kind of hate yourself for giving them hardship, but it's not like Roku would kill or hurt anyone without your say-so.

The only real person among the White Lotus you know is Master Jirou. A highly-esteemed philosopher, firebender, and traditionalist. Rumors tell that after he hit age thirty, he was not even once beaten in Agni Kai. One day, you hope to change that.

Besides you is Huesar, munching on a sandwich.

Everything is–––wait, what?!

Your eyes stick out. You stare at him in disbelief, while he bites and chews another piece of his meal. After staring for nearly five seconds, his eyes slide in your direction. He speaks with his mouth full, "You want some?" His offer is unanswered.

"Where did you get that?"

He swallows. "I made it."

"Where did you get the ingredients," you specify.

He shrugs. "Don't remember. I wanted a sandwich, so I made a sandwich."

It's not the skill to make a sandwich that amazes you. Neither is it that he forgot where he got the ingredients. It's the fact that bread is about as rare as gold in the desert. And it's also the fact that, as of now, there are seventy-eight buzzard wasps flying after you because the sandwich contains meat.

"Erm, everyone!" you call. One of the White Lotus masters turns to you, about to ask what it is you want. You point to the sky before he can ask. At the sight of a huge cloud of monsters hanging above your head, his jaw drops and he blinks.

You wonder how this will end. One of the buzzard wasps screeches.

With that, you decide to finally stand up. Instantly, you snap the sandwich out of Huesar's hands and throw it into the ocean of yellow powder. The buzzard wasps take the bait, but it won't be long before they realize that one slice of meat is not enough to sate what looks to be about a third of the average nest.

You look down at Huesar. You show him your index finger in a scolding manner. "No more sandwiches with meat! Not while we're here!"

"A growing tree needs its nutrients!" he protests, only to be shushed by you with a stern glance. He looks down in shame, twiddling his fingers.

In a moment, the buzzard wasps return to chasing you. Master Jirou takes a deep breath, then runs forward and jumps, landing on the very edge of the slider. He whips his hands forward, releasing a wave of stunning, red flames that fly across the desert. Their force is powerful enough to cause the slider to bump a little.

With that one attack, nearly a quarter of the buzzard wasps are burnt or at least fall out of the sky for a little before getting back up. "I will need some help!" Jirou says.

You nod and breathe in.

DC: 14
Roll: 1d20-6+3=4
Failure!

Moving your arms swiftly, you try to create a directed gust of air to throw off the assailants. The buzzard wasps seem to slow down for a moment, but you have no more stamina to keep up the air and they return to their normal pace and keep catching up.

Master Jirou performs a punching firebending kata. Three moderate balls of fire run across the sky and hit their intended marks. He breathes out, then breathes in and keeps up the onslaught, while you join in with the other earthbenders to try to speed up the vehicle. The other White Lotus members run to the back of the sand-slider and aid Master Jirou in his defensive efforts.

DC: 22
Roll: 1d20+10+6+2=26
Success!
+150 XP!

You rotate both of your arms and begin to 'paddle' the sand at high speed. The sand-slider picks up some pace and the distance between you and the wasps increases dramatically. You keep this up for nearly three minutes, until they disappear beyond the horizon. After that, you stop and lay down to rest, breathing.

A White Lotus master walks up to you. "Stunning prowess."

You don't respond. You just want to get to the Omashu Airport as quickly as possible.

+150 XP!

Currently: 166 AG, Autumn.
No training or social this turn.

Select additional ambitions. (1 Long-Term, 1 Mid-Term, 2 Short-Term. QM Note: You can pick no ambitions at all for the time-being, if you wish.)
[] (Long-Term) Reach Level 7 of Earthbending. (+20,000 XP, +21CP.)
[] (Long-Term) Reach Level 7 of Firebending. (+20,000 XP, +21CP.)
[] (Mid-Term) Meet the Firelord and her family, including her legendary father. (+8,000 XP, +10CP.)
[] (Mid-Term) Make yourself of use to the world like you're supposed to. (+7,500 XP, +15CP.)
[] (Mid-Term) See a Fire Nation circus show. (+6,000 XP, +7CP.)
[] (Short-Term) Read through the Proverb book. (+500 XP, +???)
[] (Short-Term) Attain Level 4 in Airbending. (+1,500 XP.)
[] (Short-Term) Learn Firebending. (+1,000 XP.)
[] (Short-Term) Unlock the Earth Chakra. (+1,500 XP, +3CP.)
[] (Short-Term) Get to know the White Lotus members. (+500 XP.)

LEVEL 11, +2CP!
CURRENT CP
: 4

[] Don't spend CP.

[] (-1 CP.) Chi Roulette: 50-50 chances to double CP or lose all of them. You win, you grin. You lose, bad news.

[] (-2 CP.) +2 Strength.
[] (-2 CP.) +2 Constitution.
[] (-2 CP.) +2 Wisdom.
[] (-1 CP.) +2 Dexterity.
[] (-1 CP.) +2 Intelligence.
[] (-1 CP.) +2 Charisma.
[] (-1 CP.) You hear an interesting rumor.
[] (-1 CP.) You obtain a falcon that can be used to send messages to Siph and back.
[] (-4 CP.) During meditation, something weird happens.
[] (-6 CP.) You have the dream of a red-eyed spirit and a man following after it.
[] (-8 CP.) Huesar does something. That's all the detail you'll get.
[] (-8 CP.) You find a firebending scroll.
[] (-15 CP.) You find an earthbending scroll.
[] (-17 CP.) You find a waterbending scroll.
[] (-24 CP.) You find an airbending scroll.
[] (-30 CP.) You can train once more every turn. (May only be taken once.)
[] (-55 CP.) Become one with the cosmic energy. (May only be taken once.)

PLEASE, VOTE BY PLAN.
Tales from the Si Wong Desert in the next update.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like a self-critical super-expert or anything, but I'm actually slightly unhappy with how this update came out. I tried reworking dialogue and other things, but for some reason, I keep thinking the quality is sloppy and shallow. Ultimately, after thirty minutes of dicking around with synonyms and changing sentence structure, I realized what I was doing and decided to go with my gut feeling of just releasing the update and giving myself up to whatever judgment the users lay upon me.

Last edited:
[X] (Long-Term) Reach Level 7 of Earthbending. (+20,000 XP, +21CP.)
[X] (Short-Term) Read through the Proverb book. (+500 XP, +???)
[X] (Short-Term) Get to know the White Lotus members. (+500 XP.)
[X] (Mid-Term) See a Fire Nation circus show. (+6,000 XP, +7CP.)
[X] (-1 CP.) You obtain a falcon that can be used to send messages to Siph and back.
[X] (-1 CP.) +2 Charisma.

[X] Plan One With Earth
-[X] (Long-Term) Reach Level 7 of Earthbending. (+20,000 XP, +21CP.)
-[X] (Mid-Term) Meet the Firelord and her family, including her legendary father. (+8,000 XP, +10CP.)
-[X] (Short-Term) Read through the Proverb book. (+500 XP, +???)
-[X] (Short-Term) Unlock the Earth Chakra. (+1,500 XP, +3CP.)
-[X] (-1 CP.) You obtain a falcon that can be used to send messages to Siph and back.

First of all, fuck the White Lotus.

Secondly, FUCK YES LETS MEET ZUKO!

Lastly, did Hue-Sar just materialize a sandwitch out of thin air!? ...is this going to be a running gag?

Edit: Hm? I stole something from Aigloss? No idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
my guess is that it's due to our eight year-old character deciding that despite not wanting to go in the first place, going away from his family was a good idea.

also what did tails from the si wong desert actually do?

[X] Plan One With Earth
-this is gonna suck without our earthbending master, oh well hard work.
- i'm also assuming that he'll just read his book during his travels.

Last edited:
Back