Artemis Fowl: The Movie

Would you watch this?

• Total voters
Honestly, Artemis Fowl, to me, is a slightly more 'respectable' Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

I'm wondering about the change in character skin tones, personally. Did they swap Butler from Eurasian to Black American due to it being produced in Hollywood for US fans?

TBF, isn't the first hint of Butler's ethnicity in Book 3 when we find out Juliet is mixed and can blend in with basically any crowd?

Also I always thought of Butler as Bubbles from Lilo and Stitch (the black CIA agent).

Honestly, Artemis Fowl, to me, is a slightly more 'respectable' Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.
It had some neat ideas, like the fae actually being an advanced society in addition to the magic. It also went all the way with having a villain protagonist getting character development slowly over the books.

Most importantly, unlike MoR it's upfront with the fact that Artemis is a terrible person throughout most of the story.

It had some neat ideas, like the fae actually being an advanced society in addition to the magic. It also went all the way with having a villain protagonist getting character development slowly over the books.

Most importantly, unlike MoR it's upfront with the fact that Artemis is a terrible person throughout most of the story.

Yea, by Book 3, Artemis is genuinely disgusted with his past self's overall behavior and that's one of his biggest concerns with the mind-wipe (that he'll revert back to being generally awful).

Heck, in the time travel later on, Older Artemis finds it very difficult to reason with Book 1 Artemis because of the latter's awfulness.

Yea, by Book 3, Artemis is genuinely disgusted with his past self's overall behavior and that's one of his biggest concerns with the mind-wipe (that he'll revert back to being generally awful).

Heck, in the time travel later on, Older Artemis finds it very difficult to reason with Book 1 Artemis because of the latter's awfulness.
I'd argue that Artemis doesn't' become truly heroic until book five. When he helps save the lost 'demon' race at huge personal cost, and gets literally nothing out of it.

Eoin Colfer interview
Eoin Colfer talks about the ARTEMIS FOWL MOVIE - Artemis Fowl Confidential
Will the movie be able to accurately portray the themes in the book, especially the dark side of Artemis and the fact that he isn't your stereotypical One Dimensional hero?
"Yeah, they do get to grips with that but they get there in a different way. Because in a movie he has to be accessible initially and then become the cold-hearted criminal, where the book was the other way around. In the movie I think people will love this guy initially, but then his dad goes missing and other stuff happens and slowly he becomes colder and colder to the point where he would kidnap a fairy. But that's the moment where he changes, where he realizes it's not just a creature it's a person."

ewwww.

I think that's the final nail. There's no way they'll be able to do all that in a movie's length. How are they going to have a meaningful transformation there, and actually have the main plot too?

Also I really can't get over the magic bow it's just too disney.

Trying to include an arc of Artemis starting as a lovable kid, becoming a cold-hearted criminal, and then having a moral awakening definitely sounds like a bit much for a single film. Even if they're going to make it really long--the first Hunger Games was 2 h 22 m, for what that's worth--it's hard to imagine the emotional beats having the same impact if, for the audience, Artemis' cold-heartedness comes and goes within the time it takes to eat a box of popcorn.

Not sure why the movie "has" to start with a likable protagonist, either. If they'd actually made this movie 15 years ago I could understand that being conventional wisdom, but YA movies have (whatever their other qualities) come a long way in allowing for morally-murkier protagonists.

I'd argue that Artemis doesn't' become truly heroic until book five. When he helps save the lost 'demon' race at huge personal cost, and gets literally nothing out of it.
except an eyeful of Holly (eyy)
well, seriosuly i think he switched an eye with her and got like three kisses from her that book?

And the author trying to kill the pairing as well. :(

wait what

I stopped after 5 (I didn't actually know more books were there), but Holly/Artemis became a ship?

what happened to what's-her-face, the rival young girl from Book 5 who conveniently now is the same age or slightly older than Artemis at the end of Book 5 due to the time skip?

wait what

I stopped after 5 (I didn't actually know more books were there), but Holly/Artemis became a ship?

what happened to what's-her-face, the rival young girl from Book 5 who conveniently now is the same age or slightly older than Artemis at the end of Book 5 due to the time skip?
I'm pretty sure the fan favorite ship has been Holly/Artemis for ages, so Minerva was quietly written out after book 5 once the fandom backlashed hard against the blatant Minerva ship tease.

wait what

The two of them kiss and everything... and then Artemis out and out tells her that he manipulated her. Oh, and his second personality starts happening which is in love with Holly, but the second to last book hammers in that fairies and humans can never get involved with one another due to age issues and the like.

Colfer pretty much just pushed her off stage after that point, yes. Something about a whirlwind romance with her ski instructor? Point is he apparently structures major plot arcs around fucking with the shippers.

Even then, in my early, tender years, I knew that the enemy of the shippers was my dearest, most trustworthy friend. Ere the sun rises.

The two of them kiss and everything... and then Artemis out and out tells her that he manipulated her. Oh, and his second personality starts happening which is in love with Holly, but the second to last book hammers in that fairies and humans can never get involved with one another due to age issues and the like.

>mfw this actually happened

well that's something

*runs off to Ao3 to search for stuff*

Back