Artemis Fowl: The Movie

Would you watch this?

• Total voters
Minerva didn't bother me to be honest, so I think the author was a coward there. What's more is that book 6 is basically the plot of book 5 (Artemis confronting his younger self (or a girl version in Minerva's case)) except with time travel and literal self.
The two of them kiss and everything... and then Artemis out and out tells her that he manipulated her.
To be honest, I don't think this scene was ship sinking instead of just regular obstacle to the couple being made.

Holly just basically confesses to him by raising the possiblity of her staying a teenager being a good thing when they go back to the present. From my perspective, it felt like Artemis wasn't yet ready to confront his feelings and whether he wanted to change their relationship, and so he didn't answer yes or no and took a third option.

I agree that the books that followed were crap though.

Honestly I understand the need to sort of build Artemis backwards in a movie. In a book we can clearly see his inner thoughts and emotions so it's easier to see where he's coming from even when he's acting like a sociopath. Without that he just would read like every other try hard 2edgy4me fan fic character you see infesting the HP and Naruto fandoms.

except an eyeful of Holly (eyy)
well, seriosuly i think he switched an eye with her and got like three kisses from her that book?
he also lost three years of life to time shenanigans.
but also he got magic so ehhhh~
Point is he apparently structures major plot arcs around fucking with the shippers.
Colfer has gotten mutiple books onto the best sellers list, and wrote the final book of the Hitchhikers Guide. He know how to do things. But If I was going to make a criticism, is that his work lacks....scale.
Unneeded strokes are returned to across stories. intriguing ideas are discarded and books bounce wildly between tangents. There's a real lack of expansion that happens. There is no grand arc that each of the books build upon, and I can't say that the Artemis Fowl setting grows grander and richer with each iteration.

Oh. Oh no.

edit: on mobile accidentally hit send gimme a second to edit

edit 2: look up the synopsis that's out so far for the movie. it looks like they're condensing the first two books into one film. He does the kidnapping to get money to look for his dad, and is going to apparently also in this movie team up with the fairies to go look for him.

i think the people making the movie have lost track of how much you can actually put in one film.

edit 3: okay so it's been a while since I've read the books so i misremembered a little. he did want the money to find his dad, but the synopses seem to be implying that the finding him part is gonna be in this too.

edit 4: yep nevermind, good.

Last edited:
Is this the synopsis being referred to? It's cropping up a lot of news sites but Disney doesn't seem to have an official site for the film (as opposed to the books) yet.

https://www.mpaa.org/2018/11/a-fantastic-underground-world-is-revealed-in-first-artemis-fowl-teaser/
Disney's "Artemis Fowl," based on the beloved book by Eoin Colfer, is a fantastical, spellbinding adventure that follows the journey of 12-year-old genius Artemis Fowl, a descendant of a long line of criminal masterminds, as he seeks to find his father who has mysteriously disappeared. With the help of his loyal protector Butler, Artemis sets out to find him, and in doing so uncovers an ancient, underground civilization—the amazingly advanced world of fairies. Deducing that his father's disappearance is somehow connected to the secretive, reclusive fairy world, cunning Artemis concocts a dangerous plan—so dangerous that he ultimately finds himself in a perilous war of wits with the all-powerful fairies.

I don't recall his father's disappearance being related to the fairies--I thought he was just kidnapped by the Russian Mafiya for "normal" extortionist reasons. I know Opal Koboi was a big part of The Arctic Incident but was there anything tying her to Artemis Fowl I's disappearance? Or maybe a revelation in one of the later books?

Oh. Oh no.

edit: on mobile accidentally hit send gimme a second to edit

edit 2: look up the synopsis that's out so far for the movie. it looks like they're condensing the first two books into one film. He does the kidnapping to get money to look for his dad, and is going to apparently also in this movie team up with the fairies to go look for him.

i think the people making the movie have lost track of how much you can actually put in one film.

edit 3: okay so it's been a while since I've read the books so i misremembered a little. he did want the money to find his dad, but the synopses seem to be implying that the finding him part is gonna be in this too.

edit 4: yep nevermind, good.
He didn't want the money in the first book to look for his dad because he didn't think his dad was alive. He wanted the money because most of his family's wealth was blown on a scheme to profit on the fall of the Soviet union that resulted in the Russian mob killing his dad.

IIRC there was also a scene in the first Book where Artemis is translating the Book where he, apparently for the first time since Artemis Sr. disappeared, turned off a bunch of newsfeeds to focus on the task, with Butler thinking that it may indicate Artemis finally giving up on anything about his father popping. So he did always cling to the hope that his father was still alive, even before Book 2 confirmed his survival.

IIRC there was also a scene in the first Book where Artemis is translating the Book where he, apparently for the first time since Artemis Sr. disappeared, turned off a bunch of newsfeeds to focus on the task, with Butler thinking that it may indicate Artemis finally giving up on anything about his father popping. So he did always cling to the hope that his father was still alive, even before Book 2 confirmed his survival.
Someone called Meh replying to this thread is pure perfection.

Of course then we find his father, who has tragicly been reduced to a piece of flat card of the bored variety.

Whoa. Never thought they'd actually do it. I lost a lot of my books everything in a housefire a couple years back so I can't just grab my book to get the exact words, but I remember the first run of the initial book having a 'Translate the fairy text running along the bottom of each page for a chance to be in the upcoming 'Artemis Fowl' movie!' blurb in the beginning. Never really tried, as much as I loved the books, but I still remember thinking it would be cool to see a movie adaptation.

Well, here's to optimism. Brb, time to watch trailer.

EDIT: Oh...oh, no...

There's...there's a lot to unpack here.

Last edited:
They've made it American.

The problems with sexism in the police force in Ireland - you might not get it, but they female officers were called Ban-Gardai rather than just Gardai, that as a bit of an issue moving forward - and the way governments and police often lost against terrorist or criminal elements, like how the UDA or the IRA and their off-shots often escaped proper justice in order to spare lives.

Making Julian Root Julianna Root misses the point entirely; he was the conservative, mildly sexist officer who learned to appericate Holly as an officer and who was going to promote her to a higher rank, the highest office a woman had ever recived in the LEPrecon before he was murdered by a revenge maddened Pixie.

Secondly, the made Butler black.

They swapped the race of a minority character, to another minority without even the slightest bit of understanding why it might be a poor choice.

He was Eastern-European in the novels; the largest minority group within Ireland (outside of the English) that is often discriminated against, and who have often been the butt of Right-Wing rethoeric within Ireland. Eoin Colfer made him smart, pro-active and loyal to a fault, vs the stereotype of them being stupid, lazy and dishonest.

This just another example of Americans shoving their own political issues into a work of fiction that is from a people who have their own problems and prejudices, and pretending that they're the same.

Like, its taking everything that made the Artemis Fowl such a left wing book, and changing it in the mornonic opnion that it is more inclusive.

Last edited:
Also...

Artemis the absolutely unflappable, even when being flapped would be, yknow, probably a good idea: is here shown being flapped.

Butler the professional who actively puts the health and safety and life of his charge above his own as a matter of professional conduct and friendship: is here shown gawking at the strange thing instead of getting between the potential threat and his charge.
There was one particular moment in the first book that said a lot about both Artemis and Butler: Artemis has such complete and warranted confidence in Butler that he was stunned to near-silence when Holly punched him, not because of the blow itself, but because she was able to land it at all. The notion that Butler (who wasn't even in the room at the time) represented something other than complete protection against direct physical threats hadn't even occurred to him.

...also, this might be a bit mean-spirited, but having recently rewatched 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'Tropic Thunder,' seeing that screenshot and this post...
Butler should have been played by Bautista
...made me think "Why would they put Dave Bautista in blackface and make him look like he needs cataract surgery?"

Offscreen: the fairy who preaches secrecy and how humanity can never learn of the fairy world and admits it's pretty much close to the highest order of treason available to be sharing her magic book with them: is in this scene shown to... well, make a show out of youth-ifying herself.
Also, pretty sure that that fairy is supposed to be the sprite that gives Artemis her Book that he goes on to translate. Couple things wrong with that.

-She was not some wise old sage. She was a wino living in self-loathing and squalor, her magic having been so dulled by her lifestyle that she could barely muster the power to heal toothaches and bad backs (which she did in exchange for more booze), and even her wings were all but useless.

-She was unwilling to show Artemis her Book, or even admit its existence...but she changed her tune when Artemis revealed that he'd poisoned her drink*, promised to undo that particular deed, and further promised to restore her lost vitality. Even then, she only let him look at the Book for an hour, and she further believed that it would ultimately amount to nothing because it was written in a language no human spoke or could hope to translate. There was no 'You have no idea what you're getting into, mwahaha' nonsense.

*Which is actually something I think Colfer genuinely forgot about, or maybe it was a relic from an early draft, but Artemis spiked the fairy's drink with holy water.

-I mentioned the wings earlier, and I guess kudos to the movie for remembering that she, as a sprite, had wings, but it wasn't exactly a subtle detail that sprites also have green skin. Chalk up another race-lift to Hollywood. Haven't the greens suffered enough?

-Artemis and Butler didn't stick around to see the sprite's vitality return, partially because they had what they needed, but also because Artemis flat-out states that the detox process was going to get really gross really fast. But I guess rapidly turning into a young lady and levitating herself is cool, too.

"Yeah, they do get to grips with that but they get there in a different way. Because in a movie he has to be accessible initially and then become the cold-hearted criminal, where the book was the other way around. In the movie I think people will love this guy initially, but then his dad goes missing and other stuff happens and slowly he becomes colder and colder to the point where he would kidnap a fairy. But that's the moment where he changes, where he realizes it's not just a creature it's a person."
Wait, hang on, but Artemis Sr. was the person that Artemis modeled himself after. In fact, he's the reason why Artemis was so specifically interested in restoring the family fortune through gold. I don't recall him ever being particularly negligent towards his wife and/or son, but he certainly put a whole lot of time and effort into being a ruthless businessman, and after his rescue he expressed remorse that he had been such a poor role model that his son would think he'd want to hear about the family's financial situation before the end of their first visit to him in the hospital.

On a more general note, according to the official Disney blurb...
Disney's "Artemis Fowl," based on the beloved book by Eoin Colfer, is a fantastical, spellbinding adventure that follows the journey of 12-year-old genius Artemis Fowl, a descendant of a long line of criminal masterminds, as he seeks to find his father who has mysteriously disappeared. With the help of his loyal protector Butler, Artemis sets out to find him, and in doing so uncovers an ancient, underground civilization—the amazingly advanced world of fairies. Deducing that his father's disappearance is somehow connected to the secretive, reclusive fairy world, cunning Artemis concocts a dangerous plan—so dangerous that he ultimately finds himself in a perilous war of wits with the all-powerful fairies.
...combined with this 2013 statement...
IGN Article said:
The movie will be based on the first and second installments in author Eoin Colfer's best-selling children's fiction series.
...apparently this movie is going to be some kind of grotesque chimera of the first two books to the point where it's 'based on the Artemis Fowl books' in the same way that a horror movie is 'based on a true story.' Commander Root is played by Judy Dench, and somehow I doubt she's going to be playing a cigar-chomping male. Butler has white hair and a dire need of cataract surgery, not to mention having apparently replaced his Sig Sauer with a magical bow. Artemis looks like Charlie Bucket's MCR phase, and he wears sunglasses while shooting the worst looking gun ever. Artemis Sr. has now apparently 'mysteriously disappeared,' so I guess he wasn't on a cargo freighter when the Russian mob sank it with a missile.

And the sprites aren't even goddamn green.

I'll close with this blurb because, much like the trailer...
IGN Article said:
Artemis Fowl is about a 12-year-old Artemis who is a millionaire, a genius - and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy (Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit) to harness her magic to save his family.
...almost everything is so concentrated and bafflingly wrong that I'm almost at a loss for words (hey, I said almost).

OP put it pretty succinctly:
Once Artemis sets his plan in motion, he spends almost the entire book with the LEP playing right into his hand while they think that he's ultimately just dragging out his inevitable defeat, not realizing that he basically has complete access to their entire playbook. The only things that actually threw a wrench into his plans were the wildcards that distinctly weren't LEP protocol (Mulch, Holly's accidentally-stashed acorn, and the first troll ever captured alive in LEP history), and even then basically everything panned out in his favor. He wasn't after magic. He was after money. The fact that he reduced the enormous pile of money he ransomed to merely half of an enormous pile of money to restore his mother's mental health was never part of his plan, and he only did it after at least starting to grow into less of an outright villain. What's this "harness[ing] her magic to save his family" nonsense? He doesn't get retroactive points for ultimately deciding to do that, and he literally abducted Holly from a ritual site where she was intending to restore her depleted magic. It's-

-ugh. Well, to cut this off and end on a positive note, this nightmare of a trailer got me to start remembering the Artemis Fowl series.

Relying on the fact that the books are old enough that today's 12yr olds arent likely to have read the source material.
How that make money?
Isn't the whole point of these things is you can say hey this a awesome adaptation for these really great books?
As is I expect it won't make a lot even if it does not flop and all that time and money is wasted on this when they could have done something else.
Where is the pay off?

I dunno. It looks pretty to kids who never read the books, therefore they might go watch it. The cash-appeal in making the shittiest live action adaption of great books isn't in the established fandom.

I dunno. It looks pretty to kids who never read the books, therefore they might go watch it. The cash-appeal in making the shittiest live action adaption of great books isn't in the established fandom.
But is it really worth it?
I mean Disney is shock full of things to make big mega bucks on while this is going to kinda make a profit?

apparently this movie is going to be some kind of grotesque chimera of the first two books to the point where it's 'based on the Artemis Fowl books' in the same way that a horror movie is 'based on a true story.'
That"s already been debunked by Coilfer and Brannagh stating that the movie will only be taking from the first book.

Not that that solves other problems apparent in the trailer and casting call, but still that's at least one issue that shouldn't be worried about I guess.

I dont see it personally. But AF does have a problem with its secondary humans being meaningful.
It was mostly that the older I got, I got intensely uncomfortable with the constant romantic teasing between a child/teenager and a working adult that was older than him by several decades, and I found the idea of Artemis interacting with somebody (nearly) his age that was his intellectual equal (while not having had the same life experiences that would help them mature a bit) more interesting and also quite amusing.

Back