I'm afraid you're the one who doesn't know the actual definition of fascism here. Yes, it is a topic which is has long been debated by historians and political philosophers, but your equation of it as synonymous with corporatism is far outside the mainstream (and largely used as a smokescreen by rightwing nationalists as a defence against allegations of ideological sympathy with fascists). While originally Italian fascism was explicitly corporatist, such a definition is obsolete and redundant.

The general consensus as of the present day is that fascism is an ideology of authoritarian nationalism and populist nationalism - or at least in the latter case that is what it cloaks itself in. Corporatism is strongly correlated with it, yes, but it's not integral to it - economically autarky is more important to it and corporatism comes as a byproduct of that with the attempts to force national "independence" from external economic influences. Ideologically it is opposed to multiculturalism; socially it appeals to the petty bourgeois. It focusses on nativist viewpoints, favouring a certain element of the population and excluding all others. Umberto Eco's concept of ur-fascism is a good summation of the modern consensus, at least IMO.

Basically, in summary though fascism is an ideology of nativist, nationalist anti-liberal radical right-wing thought which makes use of populism.
I had read some different versions of fascism, but most of them seemed pointlessly broad to the point where it could mean anyone, or seemed like smokescreens by leftwing ideologues to disguise where they agreed with it.

But I hadn't read Umberto Eco's Concept of Ur-Fascism before, and it's much better definition than what I was using, or any that I read before. Though it did manage to stir up ugly memories about the last election that I thought I'd repressed, thanks for that.

But seriously, thanks. I had seen the traits Eco mentions, but I hadn't connected that to "Trump is a fascist", I'd connected it to "Trump is an idiot". I think that's a big part of the problem, "fascist" has been used as the political equivalent of a racial slur in America for so long that very few remember what it means, and everyone has their own different idea.
"Trump isn't a fascist. Obama is a fascist because he bailed out General Motors."
Not cause he bailed out GM, no. Because he forced out their leaders and put his own in place, putting GM under federal control. Not that it was necessarily a bad decision, giving more money to the same people that managed to drive a multi-billion dollar business into the ground would be stupid, just that, by the definition I understood, it was fascism.
...also, source on that quote?
Initially? Google. Though now that I've taken closer look, it seems it's never been properly sourced. So yeah, critical research fail on my part, I let confirmation bias kick in before I was finished.

Last edited:
I had read some different versions of fascism, but most of them seemed pointlessly broad to the point where it could mean anyone, or seemed like smokescreens by leftwing ideologues to disguise where they agreed with it.

But I hadn't read Umberto Eco's Concept of Ur-Fascism before, and it's much better definition than what I was using, or any that I read before. Though it did manage to stir up ugly memories about the last election that I thought I'd repressed, thanks for that.

But seriously, thanks. I had seen the traits Eco mentions, but I hadn't connected that to "Trump is a fascist", I'd connected it to "Trump is an idiot". I think that's a big part of the problem, "fascist" has been used as the political equivalent of a racial slur in America for so long that very few remember what it means, and everyone has their own different idea.
Not cause he bailed out GM, no. Because he forced out their leaders and put his own in place, putting GM under federal control. Not that it was necessarily a bad decision, giving more money to the same people that managed to drive a multi-billion dollar business into the ground would be stupid, just that, by the definition I understood, it was fascism.

Initially? Google. Though now that I've taken closer look, it seems it's never been properly sourced. So yeah, critical research fail on my part.

This doesn't make any sense? By that definition, tons of communist governments are also "fascism." I mean, besides all of the other problems with what you're saying.

Also. A definition of "fascism" that defines a popularly and legitimately elected President doing a legal act in a constitutional democracy as being fascist seems sorta...you know, useless?

Last edited:
This doesn't make any sense? By that definition, tons of communist governments are also "fascism." I mean, besides all of the other problems with what you're saying.
That seems kind of an odd question to me, because communism as I know it doesn't allow for private property, so corporations as we understand them shouldn't exist. Unless you're talking about when the Communists first take over?

Communism in theory isn't fascism. Communism in theory is a classless society where private property does not exist, and everyone gives what they have and gets what they need. In practice however, in order to keep people from hoarding what they make the government needs to get involved to redistribute wealth. Thus creating a government class that looks out for itself and works to ensure it stays in power. The definition of fascism that I was using was a top-down system with rigid class roles. By this template, communism in practice starts to look a lot like fascism.

Stalin's Soviet union is the main example of this. Even by Eco's Ur-Fascist standards.

That seems kind of an odd question to me, because communism as I know it doesn't allow for private property, so corporations as we understand them shouldn't exist. Unless you're talking about when the Communists first take over?

Communism in theory isn't fascism. Communism in theory is a classless society where private property does not exist, and everyone gives what they have and gets what they need. In practice however, in order to keep people from hoarding what they make the government needs to get involved to redistribute wealth. Thus creating a government class that looks out for itself and works to ensure it stays in power. The definition of fascism that I was using was a top-down system with rigid class roles. By this template, communism in practice starts to look a lot like fascism.

Stalin's Soviet union is the main example of this. Even by Eco's Ur-Fascist standards.

Where did you get this definition from, again? Apologies if you linked to the article at some earlier point.

(....)

Emphasis mine. As respectful as I can say it: people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Also, to stay on topic: other excellent source on rigorous typology of fascism is 1968 book by Ernst Nolte Die Krise des liberalen Systems und die faschistischen Bewegungen (The Crisis of the Liberal System and the Fascist Movements).

Nolte was careful ,like Eco after him, not to propose a hard definition of fascism, but offered a list of six features that any movement had to have to count as fascist. The first three of them are well known: a cult of charismatic leadership, a uniformed Party militia, and the goal of totalitarianism.

So on those three Obama , if you squint veeery hard, could be accused of having bit of cult around his charismatic leadership.. but Democratic party don't have militia and Obama did not, contrary to paranoid theories, moved toward sizing total power over every lever of state. In fact for 6 years he was deadlocked with energetic opposition.

The totalitarian dimension of fascist parties in Interbellum period was extermly important. As Nolte argue crusades against "degenerate" art and literature thus weren't simply the product of the individual fixations of fascist leaders; they were logical impilication of attempts to reshape an entire society from the ground up, total re-aligment of society structure and values.

Three other features according to Nolte and accepted by consensus of scholars are the things that fascist movements and regimes consistently rejected. The first is Marxism, the second (classical) liberalism, and the third is conservatism.

Of course, important note, not conservatism as it's commonly understood those days, this is Anglo-American tradition of conservatism mixed with economic liberalism - minor variations like neoliberalism, progressivism, neo-conservatism and all the merry Davos Men included. Nolte means continental conservatism, which was agrarian (anti-industrialist), aristocratic, predominantly Catholic and concerned with "old order" of pre-Great War European society.

Last edited:
You are ignoring content by this member.
After reading till chapter 3.04 I can't still understand what Taylors powers is can someone explain it to me since theirs no dictated chapter that explained her powers

After reading till chapter 3.04 I can't still understand what Taylors powers is can someone explain it to me since theirs no dictated chapter that explained her powers

You're right there. Taylor herself doesn't fully understand her power, which means that there's certainly no overt infodump of everything she can do.

As a result, all she has is the empirical conclusions based off what she has observed:
  • She can see a strange otherworld or way of looking at the world she calls the Other Place. It shows insights about the world that appear to be accurate, but may be biased.
  • Taylor has the capability to externalise aspects of her psyche within the Other Place. They can change the Other Place, which produces effects on the world.
  • These aspects are produced through focussing on elements of her mind, to produce specific effects.
  • Most of the things that she can do either involve interfering with people's minds, or performing actions at a distance (finding things or people, opening holes in space).
Is that the limit of everything she can do? She has no idea.

I just think of it like she's the Gatekeeper of Hell. She perceives all the evil in the world when in the Other Place, can pull things into the Other Place from her mind, can take shortcuts through Hell to get around, etc.

This is just one possible interpretation though.

A good case can be made for her being a Mastigos mage from the White Wolf Chronicles of Darkness pen & paper RPG - specifically one specializing in goetia (the externalization and control of one's inner demons).
Of course, it's merely an interpretation of her proficiency with effects typically attributed to Mind and Space Arcana in the game, and the Other Place being her Mage Sight.

An Imago of Rust and Crimson

Arc 5 – Surge

Chapter 5.01

When I woke the next morning, I felt good. The glee bubbled in my veins, leaving me feeling almost like I could float away. I'd slept a dreamless sleep, without the nightmares haunting me. I couldn't remember when I'd last felt this rested.

Then recollection hit, and the peacefulness was tinged with the taste of rust. Groaning, I yanked my covers up over my head. I'd gone after Ryo and he'd gone crazy and nearly killed me and then I'd done something with the Other Place that I hadn't done before and…

.. and in retrospect, I'd been sort of loopy all through yesterday. I screwed my eyes shut, trying to think about my own patterns of thought. I still felt kind of floaty and happy and good. I hoped that wasn't because of whatever I'd taken from him, but honestly; me feeling good? It was more likely that it was because of yesterday than anything natural.

Just looking at people's powers felt great. Feeding off them was over-the-horizon better than that. I should have guessed I could do that - after all, I'd got a similar rush from how I'd drained the beauty from that bit of tinkertech I'd taken off those Boumei thugs. Similar, in the same way that a candle flame was similar to a burning house.

Well, at least Dad didn't need to worry about me going up and hooking up with someone unsuitable, I thought morbidly as I rolled out of bed and realised I'd apparently been so out of it that I'd forgotten to get changed and had just been sleeping in my clothes. I doubted some sordid affair in the backseat of a car would give me anywhere near the same rush. Hell, heroin probably would seem bland and prosaic.

Groaning faintly, I peeled off slept-in clothes and tossed them into the laundry basket. My stomach growled as I changed into my pyjamas. Breakfast.

Luck was on my side for once. The car was out. Dad was already up and about. Then again, it was eleven. I'd slept much longer than usual. Because I'd actually slept. Most mornings, it was a relief to be able to stop pretending.

I was nursing a glass of OJ when I heard the car outside. I forced down my worries about how my power made me feel. I still had some of my residual happiness left over, and once I'd nailed my anxiety to the door I was smiling again and felt able to actually make myself breakfast and eat properly.

"Hey, Dad!" I said chirpily when he came in.

He looked tired. His face was pinched. He'd lost weight, I realised - and it wasn't like he'd been overweight to start with. Was it just the light making him look worse, or had he lost it recently? He sagged down, leaning against the fridge with a newspaper in his hand.

"Hey Dad," I said again, pouring milk onto my cereal. I plonked myself down at the kitchen table. "What's up?" I said, starting to eat.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," he said, but it seemed an automatic response installed by fatherhood. He ran his hands over his balding scalp, and sat down next to me. "Have you seen the news?" he asked.

I shook my head. "What's up?" I asked.

"There were riots last night. Bad ones. A Patriot rally went sour." He rested his hands on the table, looking at me. "It was a Japanese kid behind the murder at your school. They had a march ready to go as soon as the news broke. Probably the cops leaked it to them. They did one of their marches through Little Tokyo - only this time a bunch of people got killed. On both sides." Dad wrinkled his nose. "Me, I'd bet that the skinhead gangs went in looking for a fight and found one."

The bottom dropped out of my stomach. My anxiety gibbered, its whispers audible even when I was in reality. "But I…" I began, and bit back on what I'd about to say. 'But I didn't mean to' wasn't what Dad wanted to hear. "But I thought finding the killer would make things quieten down."

Dad laughed, and not in a very happy way. "Taylor, it's not really because a kid got shot. That's the match tossed in the barrel of gas. It isn't about just one person anymore. It never is." He waved the newspaper at me. "And look at this. 'Japanese Killers In Our Schools!' The damn Brockton Bay Times is selling a story. They were waiting for something like this."

"Um," I said. Not um anything specifically. Just 'Um'.

"Every time something like this happens, it's going to be more and more likely that a Patriot hardliner Republican gets in for the recall election for the governor. That'll be bad for everyone," he grumbled. I knew how much he worried about the union-busters. "God, I hope the Tribune gets off the ground so we can escape this trash. If something doesn't rise up to stop the Times and the way it's just a Patriot mouthpiece, we can kiss the next mayoral election goodbye too." He gripped my forearm. "Just stay safe, Taylor, got it? Keep away from anyone involved in this kind of thing."

"Guess not having any real friends is paying off," I said. I tried to make it sound like a joke.

"That's not true," he said, sounding defensive on my behalf. "There's… there's… what'shername? You mentioned she's in your classes and you study with her and…" He looked at me expectantly.

"Luci." I wouldn't say she was my friend. She was an acquaintance, nothing more.

"Yes, her! And then there's Sam and you two get along well. In fact, you should do something with her!"

I shook my head. "I talked with her yesterday," I said, blurring the truth. I had been a little busy to do that. "She said her mother's not letting her out until her APs are finished. Arcadia's put her in for four, can you believe it? When she's missed a lot of the year from illness."

Dad tried to grin. "Hmm, good idea – the 'not letting you out', that is. Her mother might be a rich b… business type, but that's smart. It'd keep you safe and stop you getting caught up in the violence. And you can spend the time studying."

"Dad!"

"Taylor, I'm serious. These exams matter!"

"I know, I know." I didn't tell him that I could do them in my sleep by now. In fact, I did them instead of sleeping. God certainly knew I'd be skipping more sleep after the sight of Ryo's father and the feeling of ice-cold fingers around my throat. It was better to give my mind things to distract itself with. Things that didn't come from the Other Place.

"Because you need good grades and you need work experience and you need…"

"Dad! I know!"

He tossed the papers down on the table, and ambled off. I flicked through the papers as I ate my cereal.

And there it was. Right in front of my eyes. In the tattered Other Place reflection of the newspaper, entire sections of text were covered up with large blocky black stenciled words. Words like REDACT and CONTAIN and CONCEAL.

I knew what that meant. It meant that the Grey Men and their bosses were interfering with the papers. I guessed that it meant that they'd told the journalists what to write. Or maybe they'd used their powers to force them to write a certain thing.

"Anything weird about the riot?" I called out to Dad.

"What do you mean, weird?" he asked.

"Like, parahuman involvement or anything?"

"That damn Purity woman - the so-called war hero one - was leading the march, but thank goodness, she didn't seem to get involved. The last thing we need is her throwing down with that dragon gang lord. Lung or however you say it."

"Yeah," I said, reading it again. Yes, there was no mention of parahuman involvement at all. And that was kinda suspicious in its own right, 'cause the news really liked talking about parahuman fights and if the riot was as bad as it was talking up, you'd think there had been something.

I tapped my spoon against my teeth. Hmm. Hmm.

"Don't do that, Taylor. You'll chip your teeth."

Huffing, I stopped. "That's just a myth," I grumbled.

He sat down in front of me. Dad was sitting straight upright, and his eyes were uneasy. This looked like a formal talk.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

Dad took a breath, and put a phone on the table between us, along with a charging lead. "Listen, I… I got you a cheap cell. It's a pay-as-you-go, so every call will cost money, but all the contracts weren't worth it. You're nearly sixteen and… and I'm worried about you. What with everything that's going on. You might wind up in trouble and need to call the cops or… or something."

I stared down at the small rectangular cell. It was clearly pre-owned, and its black plastic casting was scuffed. Dad had spent money on it, but not very much money. But that wasn't what made it special. It was that it was a phone at all. Dad didn't like cells. Not since Mum had died.

"Um." My voice came out as a squeak. "Uh. I'll… I promise I'll use it responsibly."

"I'll pay five bucks a month for credit, but any extra will need to come out of your allowance. And in return, you'll need to keep it on and with you. I want to be able to check and see if you're safe."

My eyes widened, and I tried to work out what to say. Oh. So that was what it was. He wanted to keep more of a track on me. This wasn't good. I tried to hide my wince from him. I needed my ability to vanish from him for a few hours. He wanted to strip that away from me, so he could call me up and find out where I was any time.

Was it because I'd come in yesterday all happy? Did he think I was on drugs? Oh God, had I not cleaned myself up properly and trailed plaster dust and dirt into the house?

"Yeah," I said, trying to sound normal and not at all like I was panicking because I'd just been rumbled. "Yeah, I will." I reached out and squeezed his wrist. "I… I promise I won't be frivolous with it or anything. It's just an emergency backup cell, after all. Yeah?"

"Yeah," he said.

I finished breakfast, and went up to have a shower to wash away the sweat from yesterday. As if my life needed to get more complicated.

While the water warmed up, I examined myself in the mirror and made an unpleasant discovery. My scars were pinker, rawer, fresher. They hadn't looked like that in months. Gingerly, I felt one on my face. The skin was taut under my touch, and felt warm. Not infected-hot, but how they'd felt when they were still healing.

I really hoped that they weren't opening up again. It must have been the freezing touch of Ryo's parahuman powers. Hopefully the inflammation would go down soon and they weren't going to get worse. Just in case, though, I sunk into the Other Place and examined myself, seeing if there were any deeper injuries I'd suffered there.

There weren't any fresh wounds, but there was something else. In the cracked and filthy bathroom mirror of my nightmare world, the lighting on me wasn't quite right. I seemed slightly too well lit, slightly more there than the world around me.

It was the exact same thing I'd seen with the bird lady.

"Oh no," I breathed, hands going to my face. I almost glowed. Like how those fake photos of supermodels glowed. I wasn't a model. Not in anything other than the dreams I'd had as a kid. But here, compared to the rot and decay of the Other Place, I was. Hand trembling, I felt up my too-smooth, scarred face. There wasn't the same intensity as the beautiful glow of a parahuman, but it must have been what I'd taken from Ryo. It had sunk into me.

The bird lady had been the same. So she must have done it too. Kirsty didn't have it, but then again, she was in a mental hospital. She didn't have a chance to feed off other parahumans.

So. I chewed on my sore lip. The bird lady had similar powers to me – but not the same. If she'd had the same powers, she would have caught me. Kirsty could also summon angels – different angels, but still angels. This was a leap, but I suspected that meant that all three of us had the same need. And I hadn't seen any beautiful glow from any of us normally. So the glow was probably how my power told me about the… the something I needed to take from other parahumans.

Damn it all. I slumped down, head in my hands. Screw my life. Shedding the Other Place, I reached out and rubbed my hand on the steamy glass of the mirrors, my fingers squeaking as I did it. My reflection remained slightly blurred. Of course it did. I could only see properly in the Other Place and my glasses were back in my bedroom.

Sometimes I wondered why I didn't need glasses in my personal hellscape. It didn't paint a pretty picture. I was short-sighted because my eyes didn't bend the light right, which meant that it might not be light that I was using to see there.

And if that was the case, did I need eyes to see the Other Place? If someone cut out my eyes, would I just see it all the time? Only if that was the case, I wouldn't be able to close my eyes. Brr. Scary thoughts.

However, before my morbid contemplations could continue, I heard the phone ring.

"Taylor! It's for you!" Dad called up. "It's Sam!"

"Uh… I'll take it upstairs!" I yelled down, turning off the water and grabbing for my bath robe. "Just keep her talking, I won't be a minute!"

What was she calling for? And, huh, should I give her the number of that cell Dad had got me? Or would that be embracing the unwanted parental intrusion on my life?

Questions for later, I decided, as I picked up the upstairs phone. "Hi, Sam. Dad, you can put the phone down." I waited for the noise from the other line to stop. "Yeah, sorry, I was just about to get in the shower,"

"Oh, I can call back later if it's a problem?"

"It's fine. I'm just here in my bath robe. So…"

"Oh, right." Sam cleared her throat. "I was mostly just calling to see if you're okay."

"Okay?" I echoed, wrinkling my brow.

"Well, you know, I heard about the riots on the radio and you do live in a rough area and…"

I pinched the bridge of my nose. That was Sam in a nutshell. Meaning well, but a bit clueless. It was nice that someone cared enough to check that I was okay, but I didn't live in a rough area! Who said 'rough area', anyway? "I'm fine," I said, before she could carry on. "They were more over near the docks. I didn't hear a thing."

"Oh! Right! That's wonderful! I was literally so worried!"

"And before you ask, no, I didn't know the kid who died," I added quickly before she could ask that. "Not personally, at least. He was part of a skinhead gang. A bully."

"Huh. Guess someone bullied back," she said flippantly.

"Yes," I said, through gritted teeth. Ryo hadn't been a bully. He'd just been a mess. "I guess he did."

"Well, at least it's good to hear from you again." Sam made a clicking noise with her tongue. "How've you been?"

Well, yesterday I took down a dangerous and disturbed parahuman in a ruined building in Boston, I didn't say. "Could be worse," was what I actually said. "Things are pretty stressful right now, with the exams and everything else." That wasn't a lie.

"Yeah, talk to me about it. Are you doing anything today?"

"Uh… nothing really planned," I said.

"Have you seen Maleen yet? The new Disney movie, that is. My dad is letting me out of the house if I'm with a friend, because… well, I'm fucking stressing out. I think he's worried."

I blinked. I hadn't. But I remembered my promise to Kirsty. "I've already told a friend I'll take her to it," I said.

"Ah, damn."

"I didn't say I wouldn't go," I said, before she could shift topics. I needed a break too - and I still felt happy and floaty enough that the normal stomach-churning discomfort of going out with someone wasn't there. "From the reviews, it's probably good enough to see twice."

"Cool. Thank you, really. I'm going to go crazy if I'm cooped up in here any longer with my mum. Don't worry - it's nowhere near where the riots were. Does the 14:30 showing sound good?"

I glanced at a clock. "Yeah," I said.

"Great. I'll pick you… uh, what was your address again?"

I gave it to her, and went down to tell Dad about that. He seemed pleased, but did tell me that I needed to get my studying done before I went out. Dad also made me do it in the kitchen, so he could make sure I was actually studying. I knew he'd been trying harder since the whole locker incident, but that was just inconvenient.

Sam was looking even more tomboyish than usual when she picked me up that afternoon. She was wearing cargo pants in the cool weather and had her brown bomber jacket done up. Still, the face under her pixie haircut looked exhausted. She was wearing make-up to cover up acne, but it wasn't enough to hide the dark bags under her eyes. For once I wasn't the most tired-looking person in the room.

Just in case, I made some tweaks to her Other Place self to help her out, patching up the pill-chains that tied down her issues. I hoped she wasn't so stressed she was forgetting to take her meds.

We got dropped off by one of the cinemas on the Boardwalk. There was no chance that the riots made it here. The police wouldn't let a march where there was any risk of violence go through here. Still, there was a distant scent of smoke in the air. It was acrid, like burning plastic or rubber. Maybe the rioters had been burning tires. The corporate security was out in force, patrolling the private streets. As we pulled up, I saw a cluster of them dispersing a small group of Japanese teenagers, batons at the ready.

The ticket area of the cinema was full of the noise of the arcade next door. Games machines blared their theme songs through to the open space, in a cacophony that became just a solid wall of noise. Red light streamed out, painting the sticky floor crimson. The air smelled of stale popcorn, and just a hint of unwashed human bodies. I didn't check the Other Place. I wanted to take some time off; avoid trouble for a little bit.

No sooner had I thought that than I realised there were skinheads lurking just inside the arcade. Great. At least Sam and I weren't the sort of people they went after. Huddling up, I ignored them and we went to buy our tickets.

Since the world hated me, we were greeted by whistles when we passed back by them. I reflexively shrank back. So much for private security. Or maybe they just didn't care about this. I'd be a lot safer under Isolation

"Ignore them," Sam muttered, glancing in that direction. She grabbed my hand, pulling me away. "I've got half a mind to report them to security. I don't know why boys think they can act like that. God, they're such pigs."

I distinctly heard the phrase "fucking dykes" as we hurried away, and that was enough for me to squirm loose of Sam's hand.

"You alright?" she asked, narrow face crinkled up in worry. "Look, we can just set the rentacops on them."

"It won't make a difference," I said.

"Of course it will. That's the job of the security here."

"They won't listen. It's our word against theirs and…" I shrugged, shoulders hunched over. "They'll just get angry and might wait for us or something. Better to just ignore them and they might get bored - and they won't remember us on the way out."

Sam paused, tilting her head back to stare up at me. The red light played across her face. "What kind of rubbish is that?" she said, crossing her arms. "Look, this is clearly worrying you, so let's go find a guard and tell them we were harassed by the skinheads hanging out in the arcade."

"There's no time before the movie."

"There's plenty of time. Urgh. You're just like Leah. If you don't kick up a fuss, nothing happens. That's how it goes. And always make sure they have your complaint in writing and direct it to their manager if possible - that's what my mother always says."

I shook my head. Sam was very naive, all things considered. I guess going to Arcadia shielded her from how the world really worked. "I'm fine," I said. "Really. I'm just not used to it. I don't get it much. They were probably after you, anyway."

"Now you're just fishing for compliments," Sam grumbled, but acquiesced. "Fine. But if they're still out there after the movie, I'm reporting them. Back me up if that happens, okay?"

There wouldn't be much chance of that, so I felt safe in telling her, "Okay."

She didn't let it go, though. As we were settling down in Screen 3, Sam said "Seriously, though, I should have told security. We could probably have even got a discount or something. For the emotional distress."

"Like that would happen."

"No, seriously, it works. In fact," and then she got distracted, when her phone chimed. "Sorry, got to take my meds," she said, rummaging in her bag.

"I hope you turn that off," I muttered. At least she was still taking them. A thought struck me, and I remembered I now had to care about turning off my phone. I did so with no small amount of relief.

We survived the endless adverts, and the Disney logo came up. But I found I couldn't focus on the movie. My mind wouldn't shut down. Thoughts of the catcalling skinheads and the Japanese kids who the private security had been hustling away swirled in circles in my brain, like water down the drain. I still felt good, but that thought was worrying enough that I felt a twinge of fear through the happiness and fuzziness. I'd really fucked up with Ryo. He'd had it coming because of the whole 'trying to kill me' thing - which I really wasn't a big fan of - but it wouldn't be okay to do that to someone who wasn't a threat.

And I still had an obligation to him. They'd find his dad's body when they searched their apartment, but I had hurt him. I had to know if he was okay. I stared up at the movie screen, clearing my mind. It was barely any effort at all to sink into the Other Place. The film was warped and twisted, and the language the animated characters were speaking wasn't English. The sappy Disney romance number was nonsense-glossolalia, just on the edge of understanding. It was almost enough to distract me, but I concentrated and exhaled Watcher Doll.

"Find Ryo," I whispered to the floating doll. "Show me him."

Drifting backwards, Watcher Doll sunk into the screen, its CCTV-head watching me all the way. The image on the screen fuzzed, shifted, and started to unfog. I leaned forwards, peering through the electronic mist.

A bird slammed into the back of the screen from the inside. I yelped and shrank back in my seat. It was a crow! Its beady eyes didn't look right, but it wasn't a monster - and yet it was in the Other Place. Inside the movie.

And then another one.

And another one.

And then a whole flock, pounding against the screen like feet on a busy staircase. They pecked at the screen. Tap. Tap. Tap. Burn lines covered the projected image, and the rotting substance of the screen twisted forwards, pushing out. The cawing of the birds drowned out the twisted sounds of the movie.

My heart hammered in my chest. Phobia clenched my stomach in her fist. She'd found me. The bird lady had found me!

I rammed all my fear and my panic into a silent scream, forcing out Needle Hag. A spider-like hunchbacked woman made of wire with long sewing needles for fingers took shape, oozing dark water from her cloak. She grew and grew, a twisted wire monster as large as the flock trying to push its way out of the screen.

"IDENTIFY," the birds croaked, in a mechanical buzzing chorus. Their beady eyes caught the light of the projector. "LOCATE. DETERMINE."

Needle Hag drew back her hand, and stabbed it through the screen. It didn't break, but her sewing needles stabbed into the birds. Black blood splattered through the screen, covering her hands. Again and again, she stabbed, until the only thing that could be seen in the movie was their stacked bodies. They had to be dead. Only - what if they weren't? I wasn't going to stop her. The lights in the cinema blew, shattering glass down on the Other Place, and the projector cut off. I could smell smoke.

I slumped back down on my seat, breathing deeply. The Other Place chair squelched and was cold and damp. Shit. Shit. Shit.

"What the hell was that?" the pill-chained monster-form of Sam demanded. I forced myself back to reality, and blinked. The lights were off, and the emergency lighting painted the isles a dull crimson. "Oh, fuck. A brownout?"

"Yeah," I gasped. My heart was beating like a drum.

"... what's up with you?"

"I… I just got a shock. With the way it cut out." My words were falling over themselves. "It's… I don't react well to surprises and it's like stepping on a stair that doesn't exist and…" God, I hoped it didn't sound as false to her as it did to me.

Sam fortunately was too distracted to notice. "Wait here," she ordered. "I'm going to find someone. They better go fix it."

She marched off and I was left alone. Those were the bird woman's crows. The Grey Men probably had Ryo. Or at least, had one of their agents watching over where the government had him confined. And they'd tried to trace me. That was what the birds had been. A way of tracing people who used things like Watcher Doll.

I… thought I'd stopped it before the bird woman found me. If it'd got through the screen, they would have known for sure. That wasn't fair. That wasn't fair at all! My powers were for finding things! Not… not for other people finding me!

Cupping my hands over my face, I hyperventilated into them. I needed to move. What if she'd pinpointed my location? What would have happened if I'd tried this at home? I didn't want to find out. Lesson learned. No using Watcher Doll to poke into things that the Grey Men were involved in.

"So," Sam said, when she returned, "they said part of the power circuit for the entire building blew, and they'll be giving us vouchers for a later showing. But I told them that, no, I had to be back to study for my exams and made them redeemable any time in the next month. So, here." She handed one over to me. "I guess this becomes a post exam celebration, right?"

I forced myself to smile. "Guess so," I said, leg bouncing up and down nervously.

"I have to say, this place is falling apart," Sam said. "Did you notice the smell when the fuses blew? It was like hot metal. I wonder what caught fire? And there was also some sewage in there, too. Yuck."

Swallowing, I took a long sip of my drink to give me time to think. "Yeah," I said. "It stunk." Except… that was the Other Place. She'd smelled it too. But, no, she didn't have powers. I'd see that on her - and she couldn't remember Kirsty.

Keep out of reality, Other Place, I ordered it. Fortunately, it didn't reply. I would probably have screamed if it had.

"So, yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said that there's no way I can make the later showing," Sam said as we emerged back into the atrium of the cinema. The power was all out, and the arcade was dark. "So I guess we've got some time to kill. Want to go shopping? I need some new jeans anyway."

For my part, I wanted some more books. Not sleeping like other people meant I burned through them, and nights were boring. "Sure," I said, looking around nervously. We had to move, before the cops showed up.

I didn't see a single Grey Man in all the shops we went to, which was a relief. But of course, novels weren't the only thing I bought. Between Sam going to pricey electronics shops and clothing stores - and how did she have a credit card of her own? - I went to a nearby hardware store. There, I bought a cork board, a tin of push pins, some string and some Post-It notes, and picked up a newspaper.

"Stuff for studying," I told Sam. "Mind-mapping, you know."

"Urgh, don't talk to me about that," she grumbled. When she called her parents to pick her up, I had her drop me in a park near my hidden base. I needed to think, away from Dad.

The Other Place had a warning for me. Even though in the real world it was sunny, thick rusty clouds hung overhead. The streets were choked with a thin mist of suspicion and fear, which chilled me to the bones. Or maybe it was smoke, because the monstrously deformed people burned with anger. When they spoke with one another, their fires merged and strengthened one another. The air felt thick and oily, like it was before a thunderstorm.

What was a thunderstorm in the Other Place? What happened when all the built up tension unleashed itself?

I paused for a breath, sitting on a low crumbling wall that oozed dark water. Rusted cars drove by, driven by monsters. I wanted to scream at them, to tell them that it was the skinheads had made Ryo into more than just a scared refugee. The only thing their fear was doing was making things worse.

Why couldn't they see? Why couldn't I make them all see?

… but of course I couldn't. One, two, maybe. I could force Ideas into their heads and open their eyes. But there were too many people just as scared and stupid as Ryo had been, and they didn't need powers to be a threat. Too many people for me to change the minds of. I'd fall over and start coughing up blood if I tried to fix the world that way.

I sighed, running my hands through my hair. I must have burned through my euphoria from what I'd done to Ryo protecting myself from the crows. I wasn't thinking happy thoughts.

Down in my base, I propped up the corkboard against one of the walls. Biting my lip, I glared at it. Peeling off the first of the Post-It notes, I wrote 'Ryo' on it, then stuck it in the middle of the board. I pinned a news article about the murder next to that note. The second Post-It note said 'Skinheads', and the third said 'Waiting Fours'.

Then they came faster and faster, in a flurry of yellow leaves in the dusty air.

There was a pattern here. There was something that connected Ryo and the skinheads and the locker room and the bird woman and the Grey Men and SIX and… and everything. It couldn't be all for nothing. Maybe I couldn't solve it in a day. Maybe not a week, or even a month. Maybe I'd need to be scared of the birds that the Grey Men had that could backtrace my powers.

That didn't matter. I was going to get to the bottom of this. I had the parts of a puzzle, and if I kept digging, I'd eventually find a corner piece.

Last edited:
Glad to see this come back.
Great work on the opening so I didn't have to go back and re-read the last few chapters! Enough there to jog my memory without explicitly restating events.

.. and in retrospect, I'd been sort of loopy all through yesterday. I screwed my eyes shut, trying to think about my own patterns of thought. I still felt kind of floaty and happy and good. I hoped that wasn't because of whatever I'd taken from him, but honestly; me feeling good? It was more likely that it was because of yesterday than anything natural.
I wanted to comment on this section because I think it's a great example of Taylor's narration. That's probably my favorite part of this story; your Taylor has a very distinct voice with a very particular flavor of pessimism, and more than anything else it's what sells the story to me.

"You alright?" she asked, narrow face crinkled up in worry. "Look, we can just set the rentacops on them."

"It won't make a difference," I said.

"Of course it will. That's the job of the security here."

"They won't listen. It's our word against theirs and…" I shrugged, shoulders hunched over. "They'll just get angry and might wait for us or something. Better to just ignore them and they might get bored - and they won't remember us on the way out."

Sam paused, tilting her head back to stare up at me. The red light played across her face. "What kind of rubbish is that?" she said, crossing her arms. "Look, this is clearly worrying you, so let's go find a guard and tell them we were harassed by the skinheads hanging out in the arcade."

"There's no time before the movie."

"There's plenty of time. Urgh. You're just like Leah. If you don't kick up a fuss, nothing happens. That's how it goes. And always make sure they have your complaint in writing and direct it to their manager if possible - that's what my mother always says."

I shook my head. Sam was very naive, all things considered. I guess going to Arcadia shielded her from how the world really worked. "I'm fine," I said. "Really. I'm just not used to it. I don't get it much. They were probably after you, anyway."
This bit is also really good. It does an excellent job of contrasting Taylor and Sam and the way that their personalities and experiences have shaped the way that they approach problems. That's one of the things that I felt was lacking from canon Worm; there wasn't really anyone who could act as a proper foil to Taylor's issues with authority and distrust of the system, which made a lot of Taylor's conflicts with authority feel pretty lopsided in terms of narrative moral weight.

It's back baby!

I've got no knowledge of the lore from what this is crossing over with, but I love the slow burn power discovery you've done in this story as a whole. Too many Worm fics hop right into the fast lane and this is a breath of fresh(if slightly rusty) air.

When I woke the next morning, I felt good. The glee bubbled in my veins, leaving me feeling almost like I could float away. I'd slept a dreamless sleep, without the nightmares haunting me. I couldn't remember when I'd last felt this rested.

Then recollection hit, and the peacefulness was tinged with the taste of rust. Groaning, I yanked my covers up over my head. I'd gone after Ryo and he'd gone crazy and nearly killed me and then I'd done something with the Other Place that I hadn't done before and…

Just looking at people's powers felt great. Feeding off them was over-the-horizon better than that. I should have guessed I could do that - after all, I'd got a similar rush from how I'd drained the beauty from that bit of tinkertech I'd taken off those Boumei thugs. Similar, in the same way that a candle flame was similar to a burning house.

Well, at least Dad didn't need to worry about me going up and hooking up with someone unsuitable, I thought morbidly as I rolled out of bed and realised I'd apparently been so out of it that I'd forgotten to get changed and had just been sleeping in my clothes. I doubted some sordid affair in the backseat of a car would give me anywhere near the same rush. Hell, heroin probably would seem bland and prosaic.
An important take-away from this is that we have yet to see how this high will end. If it ends in a sudden crash then the government division that hunts such people down makes even more sense.
And there it was. Right in front of my eyes. In the tattered Other Place reflection of the newspaper, entire sections of text were covered up with large blocky black stenciled words. Words like REDACT and CONTAIN and CONCEAL.
Taylor's power might be coy about giving her clear information of value, but it seems it's very good at saying when there was never any info in the first place.
"I'll pay five bucks a month for credit, but any extra will need to come out of your allowance. And in return, you'll need to keep it on and with you. I want to be able to check and see if you're safe."
Dammit Danny, you don't SAY that to your teenager, you just give them the phone. Now she'll just come up with ways to circumvent you in all the situations you might have used it for. (Of course, knowing her she'll just rip out his anxiety every time she needs a few free hours, but even a normal teenager could come up with SOMETHING)

Ah, the lovely sound of two perspectives bouncing off each other and ricocheting off in opposite directions.
"IDENTIFY," the birds croaked, in a mechanical buzzing chorus. Their beady eyes caught the light of the projector. "LOCATE. DETERMINE."
Is this meant to imply that Bird Lady is the source of all the BOLD CAPITALIZED TEXT? Because if so then she's got a LOT of blood on her hands, just from all the grey men we've seen.
The Other Place had a warning for me. Even though in the real world it was sunny, thick rusty clouds hung overhead. The streets were choked with a thin mist of suspicion and fear, which chilled me to the bones. Or maybe it was smoke, because the monstrously deformed people burned with anger. When they spoke with one another, their fires merged and strengthened one another. The air felt thick and oily, like it was before a thunderstorm.
Ominous forshadowing continues.
Down in my base, I propped up the corkboard against one of the walls. Biting my lip, I glared at it. Peeling off the first of the Post-It notes, I wrote 'Ryo' on it, then stuck it in the middle of the board. I pinned a news article about the murder next to that note. The second Post-It note said 'Skinheads', and the third said 'Waiting Fours'.

Then they came faster and faster, in a flurry of yellow leaves in the dusty air.
And now Taylor's base has a cryptic post-It wall, complete with article cuttings. The lair is just getting better and better every day.

Is this meant to imply that Bird Lady is the source of all the BOLD CAPITALIZED TEXT? Because if so then she's got a LOT of blood on her hands, just from all the grey men we've seen.

Well, we seem to be dealing with the Imago!Technocracy. Which makes BIRD LADY Imago!Jamelia. And while the number of people Jamelia has killed is strictly classified, it is known that one of her immediate subordinates is responsible of the deaths of more than 100,000 people and an Alien Assault Carrier. We can extrapolate from that.

...What do you mean, "nuclear weapons are cheating" and "aliens don't count?" Of course they count.

What if I told you the aliens were actually FORMER HUMANS?

This is not the Technocratic Union; fundamentally, if this is anything at all from Mage - and it likely isn't, it's probably just @EarthScorpion ripping off Summoners - it's the Seers of the Throne's Panopticon.

I was going to make a shitty joke about how the Grey Men and BIRD LADY are searching for Taylor-as-Panopticon so that Syndicate lawyers can take her to court and sue her for copyright infringement, but you had to go and ruin things :mad:

(...)
This bit is also really good. It does an excellent job of contrasting Taylor and Sam and the way that their personalities and experiences have shaped the way that they approach problems. (...) there wasn't really anyone who could act as a proper foil to Taylor's issues with authority and distrust of the system, which made a lot of Taylor's conflicts with authority feel pretty lopsided in terms of narrative moral weight.

I whole-hearty agree, it was excellent contrast between Taylor's perspective and Sam's - someone for whom the system works (more or less?) and expect that the society will do what they want.

BTW, was it mentioned what Sam's parents do? Besides "business?".

Glad to see it's back. Like the imagery you're using here, with birds flying into the screen and all. It's interesting to watch how powers create their own landscape and interact in accordance with their internal logic.

Is this meant to imply that Bird Lady is the source of all the BOLD CAPITALIZED TEXT?

Yes? Like, it was fairy obvious that bold capitalized text meant powers were used?

It probably wasn't just the Bird Lady, there are most likely other people like her on government's payroll, but it's fairly clear that such text means their direct involvement.

That is also why such text is so clear compared to other messages of the Other Place: it's not Taylor's sight trying to interpret random mental noise and echoes of people's issues bleeding onto the streets, it's someone's purposeful manipulation of human minds. Very direct, very simple, very effective from what we've seen. That does say something about Bird Lady's MO and personality.

Glad to see it's back. Like the imagery you're using here, with birds flying into the screen and all. It's interesting to watch how powers create their own landscape and interact in accordance with their internal logic.

Yes? Like, it was fairy obvious that bold capitalized text meant powers were used?

It probably wasn't just the Bird Lady, there are most likely other people like her on government's payroll, but it's fairly clear that such text means their direct involvement.

That is also why such text is so clear compared to other messages of the Other Place: it's not Taylor's sight trying to interpret random mental noise and echoes of people's issues bleeding onto the streets, it's someone's purposeful manipulation of human minds. Very direct, very simple, very effective from what we've seen. That does say something about Bird Lady's MO and personality.
Neither Taylor nor Kirsty generate said text. That, plus the fact that the birds speak in the same style as the other effects used by the govt group (single words, bolded and capitalized), suggested to me that the text is specifically a part of bird lady's aesthetic in the same way Taylor and Kirsty have rust and fire.

I whole-hearty agree, it was excellent contrast between Taylor's perspective and Sam's - someone for whom the system works (more or less?) and expect that the society will do what they want.

BTW, was it mentioned what Sam's parents do? Besides "business?".

It hasn't come up yet, but her mother runs a biotech firm. Notably, it's one of the kinds of firms that does very nicely from Brockton Bay, because it's gobbled up university-educated Japanese workers and cheap land to make corporate campuses on the edge of the city that are security gated and employees are bussed in. Sam is living in a completely different genre to Taylor, and also in the 2030s rather than the 1990s. If this was a classic superhero comic, Sam'd have about a third of a chance of becoming a biotech-themed superhero after an experimental treatment, a third of a chance of becoming a biotech-themed supervillain after an experimental treatment, and a third of a chance of being kidnapped or fridged because she was the romantic interest of a superhero.

Of Taylor's circle of associates, Sam's family is the richest by quite a long way. Taylor is lower-middle class; she doesn't know Luci well enough to know but she assumes she's better off than her; Vicky is comfortably rich; Sam is from a 1% family. And, uh, Kirsty is... Kirsty. Yes.

Neither Taylor nor Kirsty generate said text. That, plus the fact that the birds speak in the same style as the other effects used by the govt group (single words, bolded and capitalized), suggested to me that the text is specifically a part of bird lady's aesthetic in the same way Taylor and Kirsty have rust and fire.

My reading is that it's more a general style of the conspiracy mages than this specific person. I would assume that Taylor is technically capable of generating such text if she were taught how.

I mean, I could easily be wrong of course, but aesthetically the text feels to be more about erasing identity rather than punctuating it, which combines better with there being numerous users of it than just one.

A good case can be made for her being a Mastigos mage from the White Wolf Chronicles of Darkness pen & paper RPG - specifically one specializing in goetia (the externalization and control of one's inner demons).
Of course, it's merely an interpretation of her proficiency with effects typically attributed to Mind and Space Arcana in the game, and the Other Place being her Mage Sight.
I could have sworn ES denied this, then confirmed it. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Back