I could have sworn ES denied this, then confirmed it. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

As I recall, his stance is that he's using WoD in the same fashion he's using Worm: the general shape is the same and you may recognize certain elements, but other elements are altered and new ones are invented.

Taylor is definitely heavily inspired by Mastigos, and we see her deal with the themes typical for the splat as well as Mage as a whole, but there is no guarantee that she can do everything Mastigos can do or can't do something they can't do, or that her powers follow the same general mechanics.

Found the specific post where ES explains his perspective on the matter:
So. Anyway, this is the post people have been waiting for.

I'm not entirely sure everyone is going to like what I'm about to say. :V

So. The crossover is the core new World of Darkness setting.

Note the phrasing. It is very specific. What I am admitting to is that it is a cross with the New World of Darkness core book [1]. That is to say, in several ways, it is more akin to a full-on genre replacement, recasting the entire superhero milieu of Worm into the dark urban fantasy setting packed full of conspiracies and things lurking in the shadows. I am specifically not doing a WoD multicross. You're much more likely to see something from an obscure core-line book than you are to see anything from Vampire: the Requiem (and if you see anything from Requiem, it's probably something from The Wicked Dead, being absorbed by Worm-ness and more used as inspiration [2]). I'm going to steal stuff from all over, but just as Helminths is a Warframe-flavoured Worm AU, so all I am admitting to is that this is a nWoD coreline-flavoured Worm AU. [3]

Hence, there are also narrative and genre reasons for what I have done to the gang structure, as well as any dissatisfaction I may or may not have with the canon set-up of gangs and politics and economics and... well, a lot of things. Imago rejects the "great man" theory of history, and canon Worm buys into it totally - hence why in millions of words you can count the number of normal human beings who matter to the narrative on your fingers and toes and have plenty left over. Imago rejects, at a fundamental level, a lot of the axioms and conventions of the superhero genre, even as it uses its aesthetics - or otherwise it takes the convention, but provides it no plot protection and thus leaves it to live or die whether or not humans would follow it.

Imago basically cares a lot less about superheroes fighting, and a lot more about societies, economics, social inequity, the means of control, and how the superman cannot stand above society; that he is fundamentally born of it.

Now, there has been widespread guessing that Taylor is this or that, and many of those guesses are that she's an Awakening Mage. Is she?

Good question. Some of the evidence would suggest that. Other bits would would disagree. If you asked her, she wouldn't say she is. There are certainly distinct ways that she seems to be doing things which Awakening Mages wouldn't do them. It would certainly be possible to conclude that just as in Helminths, she's a parahuman who just happens to resemble a Nyx warframe, in this, she's a parahuman who just happens to have a power which resembles some of the things a mage can do. Or maybe she is a mage. Or maybe she's something else. Maybe I've just taken several powers given classically to creepy girls in horror series and smushed them together into a parahuman framework.

But no, I won't give you a clear answer to that. Certainty and knowledge denies horror. And in a very real sense, it doesn't matter if she's a mage or not. She's certainly not getting a handy explanation of what her powers are precisely. So neither will you.

[1] It is not in any way a cross which uses the God Machine Chronicles, which is mechanically fucked up and the product of a rote copying of FATE-like design principles without actually thinking of how that affects the Simulationist nWoD. I detest the GMC. Likewise, nDemon can fuck right off because it in no way belongs in the nWoD (while fitting right in the oWoD).

[2] Or Cymothoa sanguinaria, which is a nasty little thing which canon Skitter could have done dreadful things with, and which has its horror coming from the fact that it's completely mundane.

[3] There has been a lot of use of Damnation City, but that's because Damnation City is... like, the best book ever for writing urban settings, especially horror-tinged ones, and anyone who is writing a Wormfic should, IMO, read Damnation City because it's basically a book on cities, power and influence, neofeudal hierachies, and territory control.

Was it because I'd come in yesterday all happy? Did he think I was on drugs? Oh God, had I not cleaned myself up properly and trailed plaster dust and dirt into the house?
Taylor, honey...you were on drugs. Still kind of are.

I mean, it's one of the most classic cases of self-medicating I've ever come across, but that doesn't exactly change the reality of it, you know?

Taylor, honey...you were on drugs. Still kind of are.

I mean, it's one of the most classic cases of self-medicating I've ever come across, but that doesn't exactly change the reality of it, you know?

This is your mind.

*picture of an egg*

This is your mind on drugs.

*picture of a cracked egg, frying in a pan*

This is your mind on stolen parahuman power.

*picture of an egg with a smiley face drawn on it*

Last edited:
This is your mind.

*picture of an egg*

This is your mind on drugs.

*picture of a cracked egg, frying in a pan*

This is your mind on stolen parahuman power.

*picture of an egg with a smiley face drawn on it*
This is the mind of the dude you stole that parahuman power from.

*picture of a broken egg, yolk discarded on the ground*

But enough of our parodies of that commercial. Let's let the professionals at it.

This is not the Technocratic Union; fundamentally, if this is anything at all from Mage - and it likely isn't, it's probably just @EarthScorpion ripping off Summoners - it's the Seers of the Throne's Panopticon.

I mean that's what @EarthScorpion says, but prove Taylor isn't a Marauder who is actively deluding herself into imagining the world of Worm, and that A Christmas Catastrophe wasn't the only real story in the Imago!Taylor saga which actually happened.

It hasn't come up yet, but her mother runs a biotech firm. Notably, it's one of the kinds of firms that does very nicely from Brockton Bay, because it's gobbled up university-educated Japanese workers and cheap land to make corporate campuses on the edge of the city that are security gated and employees are bussed in. Sam is living in a completely different genre to Taylor, and also in the 2030s rather than the 1990s. If this was a classic superhero comic, Sam'd have about a third of a chance of becoming a biotech-themed superhero after an experimental treatment, a third of a chance of becoming a biotech-themed supervillain after an experimental treatment, and a third of a chance of being kidnapped or fridged because she was the romantic interest of a superhero.

Of Taylor's circle of associates, Sam's family is the richest by quite a long way. Taylor is lower-middle class; she doesn't know Luci well enough to know but she assumes she's better off than her; Vicky is comfortably rich; Sam is from a 1% family. And, uh, Kirsty is... Kirsty. Yes.

The fact that they are from such diverse backgrounds and know each other through the shared experience of having mental breakdowns is actually a useful tool to explore the massive rich-poor class divide here, which is nice. And when you put it that way, it makes it pretty clear. Taylor and her dad are stuck in the 1990s, while Sam's mom is literally David Sarif.

The jury's out on whether she has a cyborg attack dog as her head of corporate security, who occasionally moonlights as a kleptomaniac.

Glad to see this back. Good chapter.

I take it you're British EarthScorpion? Cause there's a few Britishisms that snuck in there. Americans don't really use revise, it's just study. Americans use bath robe, not dressing gown.

I take it you're British EarthScorpion? Cause there's a few Britishisms that snuck in there. Americans don't really use revise, it's just study. Americans use bath robe, not dressing gown.

Huh, really? You wacky Americans. How do you distinguish between learning something for the first time and swotting up on it for the exams, then?

Either way, changes made to the chapter. Thanks.

"Swotting it up for exams" is probably refered to here as "cramming for an exam". Though I'm not quite sure what you mean by "swotting".

Yes, I was intentionally being super-British by using that dialectal word. I'm fully aware that Americans don't use it, because it's a somewhat archaic word of the sort you might see used in books about jolly posh young chaps at a boarding school, shortly before they call Mallory a rotten blighter. It really doesn't see much modern use even in the UK.

(For future reference - swot)

Some Brits actually distinguish the two garments :)

The big warm grey towelling garment that I bought myself is a bathrobe. The black plain-weave garment with a Chinese character on it that I was bequeathed by my father is a dressing gown.

What really gets me is when I can't decide between throwing something into the garbage can or the rubbish bin, so it just sits on my table for days until the cat runs away with it.

An Imago of Rust and Crimson

Down in my base, I propped up the corkboard against one of the walls. Biting my lip, I glared at it. Peeling off the first of the Post-It notes, I wrote 'Ryo' on it, then stuck it in the middle of the board. I pinned a news article about the murder next to that note. The second Post-It note said 'Skinheads', and the third said 'Waiting Fours'.

Then they came faster and faster, in a flurry of yellow leaves in the dusty air.

There was a pattern here. There was something that connected Ryo and the skinheads and the locker room and the bird woman and the Grey Men and SIX and… and everything. It couldn't be all for nothing. Maybe I couldn't solve it in a day. Maybe not a week, or even a month. Maybe I'd need to be scared of the birds that the Grey Men had that could backtrace my powers.

That didn't matter. I was going to get to the bottom of this. I had the parts of a puzzle, and if I kept digging, I'd eventually find a corner piece.

And so, the serial killer Room Full of Crazy begins. Goddamit Taylor.

And so, the serial killer Room Full of Crazy begins. Goddamit Taylor.

Let's be honest, she was already having an HQ in a forgotten basement where she's scattered mannequins around the place and she's writing on the mirrors and lighting the place with glowsticks so it has an eerie glow and leaving secretly taken polaroids of people stuck to the walls.

The Serial Killer Room of crazy started a looooooooooong time ago.

One day, someone will discover her secret base and it will be glorious.

*Bonus points if they're a totally normal person caught up in things they don't understand while looking for answers to some mysteryious tragedy.

Back