An Azure Dream (BlazBlue) - OOC and Sign-Ups (Closed)

It definitely would... I'm not just not sure in what kind of format would it be best to do so. Perhaps posting a link to an "all Distortion Drives" type of video and timestamps to each character (selected as Mentors)?

Then again, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard to describe the Distortion Drives themselves in text form, since none of them last that long, and they're not that difficult to describe, either.
Well, if you aren't sure you have the options of waiting to hear which option the other four players want, or just doing both. I already know Hazama's Distortion Drives, so I'm cool with whatever is easiest for you.

Edit: It's getting late over here, so I'm going to rest. See you later!

@Floom Poison is essentially a DOT effect, though there aren't any BB characters other than Bang that use poison in a meaningful way, and even then, it doesn't deal much damage.

Since Bleed was pretty much your idea, you may tweak it to only deal damage during intense actions or similar. It, and overall damage reducing the efficiency of stats (lower results in stat checks) also sounds like a good idea (and could be done in a more free-form narrative way)

I think it's best if Bleed is just a flat DOT, means it's easier to track how much damage it's dealt.

And yeah, Poison and Bleed affecting stat checks over time definitely sounds like a good idea, but will mostly need to handled narratively.

Updated my sheet once again, finished backstory. Will probably work on Personality this afternoon, have a good idea for that so shouldn't have issue. @Mr.Ownage I added a Passive and a Special that might have an issue- if they're a bit too over the top for being just those or too strong. Wasn't sure how high the checks would go basically.

Updated my sheet once again, finished backstory.
The backstory was really good, it helped flesh out his character a lot. Though I would probably add at least one sentence at the very end explaining how met or is going to meet Amane.
I added a Passive and a Special that might have an issue- if they're a bit too over the top for being just those or too strong. Wasn't sure how high the checks would go basically.
Throwing my two cents in: on the one hand +8 on all offensive checks versus just just halving the defensive bonuses Strength gives you is really OP in the early game as long as you keep on the offensive. On the other hand, once we start getting further in the game, that Passive will probably start getting balanced out and by the late game, it will probably reduce your stats more than it boosts them.

Last edited:
The backstory was really goo, it helped flesh out his character a lot. Though I would probably add at least one sentence at the very end explaining how met or is going to meet Amane.

Throwing my two cents in: on the one hand +8 on all offensive checks versus just just halving the defensive bonuses Strength gives you is really OP in the early game as long as you keep on the offensive. On the other hand, once we start getting further in the game, that Passive will probably start getting balanced out and by the late game, it will probably reduce your stats more than it boosts them.
First to the Amane bit- I was planning on putting that where the mentor bit is.

Second, that was the point I was trying to get across(good thing it did). It's tentative so was thinking something that still ended up being even like just straight up using a portion of Agility in those checks instead, so it still scaled alongside the pretty much crippled Strength essentially.

Alright, I've taken a look at it, and I... goodness, Birthday has just pretty much described my exact thoughts about that passive. o_O
Almost word by word.
It certainly is a bit overboard in the early-game, but in the late-game, its effectiveness is going to diminish to more fair levels... or even to a somewhat underpowered level... I think it could be a +4 or so early-game, and increase to +8 or so over time? Or have the buff/debuff be percentage based as well instead?

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that stun-type moves cost 5 points, not 2 (since that is an immobilizing status), please keep that in mind and adjust accordingly.

Also, I'm not sure what is Clarity supposed to do. If it activates during Jou's combos, is it supposed to let him know when the opponent is going to Tech or Burst? Or if it comes into play during the opponent's combo.... well.... there's not much point in that, since once a combo starts, it's guaranteed unless the defender techs or bursts.

On the other hand, knowing with what moves the opponent is going to pressure with is a different story, if that is the intended purpose.

Lastly, the "usual" ceiling of Stat checks is around 30, but not really beyond this (without Overdrive, of course).... getting a stat that high requires extreme sacrifices in other areas, and in the start, stats cannot be raised beyond 20 anyway. However, Mentors can go beyond even this situationally... as an example, a certain someone can have a Strength stat way beyond the mentioned ceiling if he unleashes his limiters (which, of course, can't be done all the time, and the user isn't particularly a strategist fellow).

The absolute maximum a stat check or a stat's level can rise to is 99 (via Active Flow, Overdrive, Mentor Bonus, among others), but that's basically impossible to reach without building a character entirely around it, and sacrificing just about every other stat for it, and there's no point in doing so anyway.

Last edited:
Alright, I've taken a look at it, and I... goodness, Birthday has just pretty much described my exact thoughts about that passive. o_O
Almost word by word.
It certainly is a bit overboard in the early-game, but in the late-game, its effectiveness is going to diminish to more fair levels... or even to a somewhat underpowered level... I think it could be a +4 or so early-game, and increase to +8 or so over time?

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that stun-type moves cost 5 points, not 2 (since that is an immobilizing status), please keep that in mind and adjust accordingly.

Also, I'm not sure what is Clarity supposed to do. If it activates during Jou's combos, is it supposed to let him know when the opponent is going to Tech or Burst? Or if it comes into play during the opponent's combo.... well.... there's not much point in that, since once a combo starts, it's guaranteed unless the defender techs or bursts.

On the other hand, knowing with what moves the opponent is going to pressure with is a different story, if that is the intended purpose.

Lastly, the "usual" ceiling of Stat checks is around 30, but not really beyond this.... getting a stat that high requires extreme sacrifices in other areas, and in the start, stats cannot be raised beyond 20 anyway. However, Mentors can go beyond even this situationally... as an example, a certain someone can have a Strength stat way beyond the mentioned ceiling if he unleashes his limiters (which, of course, can't be done all the time, and the user isn't particularly a strategist fellow).

The absolute maximum a stat check or a stat's level can rise to is 99 (via Active Flow, Overdrive, Mentor Bonus, among others), but that's basically impossible to reach without building a character entirely around it, and sacrificing just about every other stat for it.
A~ah. That casts some light on a few things. Will change the bonus to +4 instead as well. And so, to address a few points in regard to Clarity (and redoing calculations), it's playing into the nature of the character- by the nature of the martial arts. If used at the start or anywhere in his combo that isn't near tge end, it lets him know if they'll Tech or Burst but it's more or less for the end of his combo(disregarding a counter to prepare). To have foresight into what attacks the opponent will perform so he can act accordingly.

A~ah. That casts some light on a few things. Will change the bonus to +4 instead as well. And so, to address a few points in regard to Clarity (and redoing calculations), it's playing into the nature of the character- by the nature of the martial arts. If used at the start or anywhere in his combo that isn't near tge end, it lets him know if they'll Tech or Burst but it's more or less for the end of his combo(disregarding a counter to prepare). To have foresight into what attacks the opponent will perform so he can act accordingly.
That would be fine against NPC's, but it just wouldn't work against Player Characters. Also, keep in mind that this combat system is just one massively complicated version of Rock-Scissors-Paper. And you can predict two moves ahead without any sort of reprecussion every combo? That seems a little broken considering that you can punish Techs by using Anti-Airs, which would open up a new combo.

That would be fine against NPC's, but it just wouldn't work against Player Characters. Also, keep in mind that this combat system is just one massively complicated version of Rock-Scissors-Paper. And you can predict two moves ahead without any sort of reprecussion every combo? That seems a little broken considering that you can punish Techs by using Anti-Airs, which would open up a new combo.
Huh, honestly goofed that up. I swore I added something about a subsequent debuff last night. I wanted something that stacked and lasted the whole battle, to add a little less incentive to be using it.

Edit: Another reason, I said it was mostly to be used at the end of a combo because I saw it as almost the equivalent of a 'Wait' move.

Last edited:
By the way, that reminds me. @Mr.Ownage, will we be able to create more Distortion Drives later, or are we limited to the two we can start off with, minus the ones our mentors can give us?

@Birthday Keep in mind that Anti-Airs can be blocked using Barrier, so a teching opponent is not entirely defenseless. True air unblockable moves are rare (Hazama's Jakou and Tager's Atomic Collider are examples).

I wasn't exactly sure how to create a "proper" fighting system, to be honest. In essence, fighting games themselves have a lot of RPS and decision-making nuance to them, but translating them to an RP concept wasn't easy. However, it's not as luck-based as RPS, since each move the opponent is going for will be visible and reactable to : proper observations and course of actions is usually well rewarded.

Of course, narrative will play an extremely large role since for one, health doesn't have a concrete stat tracking it, plus, the system itself is also mostly intended to play in a narrative way, with the stats and other systems keeping everything in check. As an example, when reacting to low/overhead attacks, I can't have that limited by stats, since that would be stupid, instead, it would mostly depend on narrative as well : characters with more combat experience under their belt and more intelligence will have an easier time to do so than others (though doing so to every single attack would be frowned upon).

About Distortion Drives, yes, PCs are limited to two, Mentor Distortions, and their Distortion Drive Duo, so choose their properties wisely. However, newly gained points later on may be spent on entirely new Special Moves if desired. Those who choose only one Distortion may create a second later on, after gaining experience with the world.

Astrals can only be created at the start, however, and are free, so there is no point in not bringing one.

Last edited:
@Birthday Keep in mind that Anti-Airs can be blocked using Barrier, so a teching opponent is not entirely defenseless. True air unblockable moves are rare (Hazama's Jakou and Tager's Atomic Collider are examples).

I wasn't exactly sure how to create a "proper" fighting system, to be honest. In essence, fighting games themselves have a lot of RPS and decision-making nuance to them, but translating them to an RP concept wasn't easy. However, it's not as luck-based as RPS, since each move the opponent is going for will be visible and reactable to : proper observations and course of actions is usually well rewarded.

Of course, narrative will play an extremely large role since for one, health doesn't have a concrete stat tracking it, plus, the system itself is also mostly intended to play in a narrative way, with the stats and other systems keeping everything in check. As an example, when reacting to low/overhead attacks, I can't have that limited by stats, since that would be stupid, instead, it would mostly depend on narrative as well : characters with more combat experience under their belt and more intelligence will have an easier time to do so than others (though doing so to every single attack would be frowned upon).

About Distortion Drives, yes, PCs are limited to two, Mentor Distortions, and their Distortion Drive Duo, so choose their properties wisely. However, newly gained points later on may be spent on entirely new Special Moves if desired. Those who choose only one Distortion may create a second later on, after gaining experience with the world.

Astrals can only be created at the start, however, and are free, so there is no point in not bringing one.

Ah. Well in that case, I'll brew something up.

EDIT: Alright, Astral Heat has been added to my sheet. Take a look to make sure it's all honkey dorey.

Last edited:
@Floom It's good to go, not seeing problems with it here.

Just keep in mind that Astrals are mainly finishers or for eliminating unwary or overconfident opponents, and as long the enemy is still "fit", they are extremely unlikely to land.

@Floom It's good to go, not seeing problems with it here.

Just keep in mind that Astrals are mainly finishers or for eliminating unwary or overconfident opponents, and as long the enemy is still "fit", they are extremely unlikely to land.

Yeah, I tried to keep that in mind, and it's very much intended to be something that could be easily blocked if an opponent is in ship shape.

By the way, I found a mistake, @Mr.Ownage. Hazama's Drive is called Ouroboros, after his Nox Nyctores; Geminus Anguium: Ouroboros. His Overdrive and life-stealing circle are called Jörmungandr.

Oh, nice find. I probably mixed them up somehow while writing Hazama's section.

Edit : Fixed.

Last edited:
And that's it! I've filled out every section of Lost's character sheet!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Also, I was thinking about which Ars Armagus/Nox Nyctores everyone could use. Jousou needs to get a motorcycle Ars Armagus!!!!

Last edited:
Good work on the sheet! Espicially the Distortion Drive Duo, that's going to be a blast to see in action. Just out of curiousity, though, how did you create the Japanese name of it? Via sources or your own knowledge of Japanese?

About the second part, there's technically nothing stopping him from including something like that, the only limits on Ars Armagus/Nox Nyctores are that the original, canon ones cannot be selected, plus, weapons don't cost points to bring. But oh, boy.... if Cyan decides to include one....

About the second part, there's technically nothing stopping him from including something like that, the only limits on Ars Armagus/Nox Nyctores are that the original, canon ones cannot be selected, plus, weapons don't cost points to bring. But oh, boy.... if Cyan decides to include one....
Well, Nox Nyctores will be much harder to get there hands on, considering that only 11 were made, and a lot of them either have Wielders or have been destroyed. Additionally, the person responsible for their creation is now dead. So any new Nox Nyctores' will have to have a reasonable reason as to how they were created. The people most likely to be able to create new Nox Nyctores would be Kokonoe or Relius. Alternatively, we also have Legacy Weapons or OOParts, which are artifacts buried deep under the ground that have immense power on par with the Nox Nyctores which were based on them. Unlike the Nox Nyctores, however, there is always a price one must pay in order to wield a Legacy Weapon, though this price can be avoided in certain circumstances. Also, we don't know how many Legacy Weapons exist in the world, so players have much more creative freedom, if they can manage to find one, of course.

It is admittedly pretty fun to think about possible weapons, but on a more practical side, I am curious:

How available are things like Ars Magus? Or Grimiores? Let alone things like Armegis?

I'm given to understand that those are generally kept pretty tight by NOL, but given that all the players start with a Barrier and Burst Ars, I can't help but question just how easy or hard it is to acquire an Ars, especially since most people lack the aptitude necessary to use them.

Are Burst and Barrier Ars just instinctive to anyone with the aptitude? Or are they just widely available? Could you go to a store to buy some forms of Ars? Or are they so rare that you'd basically have to be a part of NOL to use them? To what degree can those who aren't a part of NOL yet can use Ars able to acquire Ars/Grimiores?

And speaking of, how does one learn an Ars Magus? And is a Grimiore necessary to perform an Ars, or do they just make it a lot more efficient?

@Floom Great questions. That's a handful to break down, but I'll try my best.

-Ars Magus is basically a form of force created by the fusion of sorcery and science, in its official terms. Nine (Konoe Ayatsuki Mercury) invented it to help humanity against the Black Beast (since sorcery is used in it, it is outside of reason, thus it was able to damage the Beast). Ever since that, a gap between those who can use Ars and those who couldn't, formed.

The problem with Ars is that ordinary humans do not possess the ability to manipulate seithr, the required element, to use Ars, by themselves, and thus, Grimoires are used as "converters" to allow them to do so. Technically, Ars Magus could be used otherwise. It's even stated that everything depends on Magic Formulas (Ars Magus), even the airships work with them.

Burst and Barrier Ars are mainly given to players out of balance reasons, rather than a story-based reasoning, since it wouldn't be fair if they would be always vulnerable to huge combos and unblockable weapon attacks. Plus, I've included them as Ars because Overdrive itself is stated to be "a Magic Formula which helps reduce the burden on the user when they begin using massive abilities" (and Burst and Overdrive share the "Burst Gauge", which implies that Burst is also likely a form of defensive Ars), which also makes me doubt if Ars are a tangible thing at all. Or at least, most of them. As mentioned, we won't be exactly following BlazBlue canon to the letter, since a lot of things are not explained clearly enough.

Also, probably the worst thing regarding Grimoires is that they are not actually "grimoires" in a strict sense : just about anything can become a grimoire, and the why or how wasn't explained in the games, either. As examples, the Azure Grimoire was Ragna's arm, while the Bleu Grimoire is Hazama's body itself. And then there's a grimoire that's "empty" (Pure Grimoire) which looks like a book with a hole in it, and is implied to "gain the power of any grimoire put in it". And it also requires the wielder to be female (turning a would-be male wielder into one if interacted with).

Also also, the creation process of Grimoires, the place Grimoires are kept, and so on, are never shown in the games, either, as far as my knowledge goes... so that's going to be a lot of improvisational work to be done.

Looking at Ars as sort of like "spells" and Grimoires like "spell books" may somewhat simplify the concept of them... until one thinks about how even the airships and the weather stabilizing devices of each Hierarchial City depend on Ars...

-Ars other than the available Burst Ars, Overdrive Ars and Barrier Ars are essentially all under NOL and Sector Seven control, though on a much more limited scale in the latter case, since for one, NOL is the one that basically monopolized Grimoires and Ars, and Kokonoe herself depends on "pure" science instead (she rarely resorts to Ars, if ever). It's only in rare cases that lesser Ars make it out into the public (such as regenerative Ars for certain medicines), and as such, there's not really any other way for accessing higher level Ars and/or Grimoires than being part of either faction, espicially the NOL, and searching for them. Sneaking in or fighting your way in via brute force are also options, though obviously much harder than just being a part of them. And then there's also options of taking down high-level NOL personnel and trying to search them for potential leads or items they may have, but other than that, there's not many options in this regard.

Pretty much the only encountered Ars Armegis will be Tsubaki's Sealed Armament/Weaving Zero : Izayoi (which, due to how it works, is a Tsubaki-exclusive weapon), though depending on how things will go, I may allow creation of custom ones (once again, this is somewhat of a retcon, after all). In all honesty, I haven't really planned on players dwelling this deep into terminology and weapon selection :lol:

-The "buying Ars from stores" part is also a really good question. Once again, store interactions weren't really shown in BlazBlue, other than at Litchi's clinic (where she does sell some medicines that use regenerative Ars, though on what principle, once again, a gray area) and at a weapon store in Arakune's Continuum Shift gag scenario, though not much were shown there either. I'd say "no" in this regard, but....

For some reason, it did give me an idea for those part of either faction, or as a secret service from Kokonoe if you do Sector Seven some favors : smelting weapons and items could be an option to "harvest" properties from them in the form of Ars (such as smelting healing medicines to create some regenerative Ars). Letting me your thoughts known on this idea is greatly appreciated.

-I'm pretty sure new Ars are learnt from Grimoires, there aren't really any other ways to learn new ones in-canon. However, as mentioned, humans' main problem is that they cannot manipulate seithr on the level that's required to use Ars without assistance, hence why Grimoires are used as converters to allow them to do so. In essence, learning new Ars happens via Grimoires, but it's possible to cast them even without one if one has a high enough aptitude.

Then again, as we aren't exactly sticking to canon by a hundred percent, I've included certain abilities that function as "Ars", such as Amane's Zettou hop, or Carl's Vivace dash. I don't think that they function via seithr, or like Ars, in-game, but at its core, Ars is essentially seithr manipulation with the assistance of science, and can be pretty much anything (in-canon, confirmed ones include a "cancellation", Mirror's Edge, which created a doppelganger of the target, and Eclipse Barrier, a field which is completely seperated from the rest of the world).

Goodness, I've never thought I'd write such a long reply to a few questions. Apologies for not having been able to give clearer, more concise answers.

@Birthday Feel free to share your thoughts and/or available information in this regard, perhaps you know more about this than I myself do!

Last edited:
So let me see if I've got this straight:

An Ars is essentially a specific "pattern" of Seithr Manipulation, developed via a combination of Magic and Science.

Most people can't use Ars by themselves, and require a Grimiore to do the manipulation/conversion for them.

A Grimiore can be just about anything, so long as it fulfills the above function.

Ars, and Grimiores, are heavily controlled, but like anything heavily controlled, has a black market of unknown legality and risk.

Additionally, plenty of Grimiores and Ars are still out in the wild.

Ars are usually learned via Grimiore, but this is only because most people can't use Ars without Grimiores. If so, does that mean someone who can use Ars could in theory, create their own Ars assuming they had the relevant background knowledge?

Additionally, how do things like Alchemy and Sorcery, which I'm given to understand are pure Magic, fit into the picture? I ask because apparently Vampires can use Sorcery, or at least the known examples of Vampires are all capable of Sorcery.

As to the whole Ars crafting thing, that sounds like an appropriate reward for working with NOL or Sector 7.

@Birthday Feel free to share your thoughts and/or available information in this regard, perhaps you know more about this than I myself do!
Additionally, how do things like Alchemy and Sorcery, which I'm given to understand are pure Magic, fit into the picture? I ask because apparently Vampires can use Sorcery, or at least the known examples of Vampires are all capable of Sorcery.
Okay, so here's my clarification. I might as well take this chance to explain the various power systems at play in Blazblue.

In Blazblue, there are 4 ways in which someone can gain power. Sorcery, Magic, Alchemy, and Ars Magus.

Sorcery is the Manipulation of Seithr in order to combat creatures that exist outside of Reason or Logic. As such, in order to use Sorcery, one must possess the ability to control and manipulate Seithr. This ability is inborn and is quite rare. It is also implied that this ability is passed down genetically. Sorcery can be used in various ways, with methods and techniques tending to differ between practitioners. Some use gestures and incantations while using Sorcery while others use talismans and charms. Lycanthropes are a race created through Sorcery, and as a result, exist outside of Reason or Logic.

Magic is an ability similar to Sorcery. However, unlike Sorcery, which uses and manipulates Seithr, Magic involves the usage of Mana. Mana is a source of power that is originally present in nature and life, which is then formed by the user's willpower. Like Sorcery, one must possess the inborn ability to manipulate Mana in order to perform Magic.

Alchemy is the study of using science and technology to make objects, bodies, or even souls, more perfect. Interestingly enough, Alchemy can be performed even by those who don't possess an inborn ability to manipulate Seithr or Mana. Unlike Magic or Sorcery, Alchemy doesn't exist outside of Reason so it can't distort reality. However, with the advent of technology and science, Alchemy is much more powerful now than it was in the past, with people like Kokonoe able to recreate things like Teleportation/Transition magic purely through machines and science. Practitioners can also freely manipulate the area around them, raising columns of earth out of the ground or changing iron railings into spears.

Prior to the appearance of the Black Beast, Magic and Alchemy were practiced far more often than Sorcery, due to the fact that Seithr was only avaliable in small amounts in certain locations. The study and learning of Magic and Alchemy was overseen by the Mage's Guild, a mysterious organization that was once located in the Magic City of Ishana. The only true master of Sorcery prior to the Black Beast's appearance was Konoe Ayatsuki Mercury, due to her unique ability to attract and absorb surrounding Seithr, whether she wished to or not. Due to the Black Beast, much of the Mage's Guild was being wiped out, and Konoe attempted to try to teach Sorcery to regular humans to try to destroy the Black Beast. This attempt was what led to the creation of Ars Magus and Grimoires. After the Black Beast was vanquished, the Mage's Guild was eventually became the organization known as NOL. Due to the abundance of Seithr due to the death of the Black Beast, and the advent of Ars Magus, practitioners of Sorcery and Magic are extremely rare nowadays and their numbers have diminished severely. Alchemy, however, is still practiced by a great number of scientists and as such, the number of their practitioners hasn't dwindled as much.

Ars Magus is a force created through the fusion of science and sorcery. Ars Magus is powered by Seithr and consumes Seithr in order to work. Ars Magus can be used by anyone with a Grimoire. Grimoires are the devices used to perform Ars Magus. The purpose of a Grimoire in Ars Magus is to convert Seithr into another form. They essentially allow anybody to use Sorcery. Grimoires aren't necessarily books, they often take different forms. Grimoires usually do a specific 'magical' task, like summon a fireball or transform items, though they can be used for several purposes. NOL has a monopoly on Grimoires and heavily regulated the usage of Ars Magus, leading to a socio-economic disparity between those who possess Grimoires and those who don't. Vigilantes that work with NOL are given a grimoire that let's them use a special binding Ars Magus used for restraining criminals in exchange for following four rules. They are:

1. Obey instructions from NOL personnel.
1. Provide information to NOL personnel.
1. Do not harm civilians, or involve them in danger.
1. Do not form organizations.

Each agreements are numbered one, because they are all of the same importance. The last agreement is bent in such a way that one vigilante organization does exist; the Vigilantes' Guild, which is essentially an information network that vigilantes use to exchange information about criminals and bounties.

If you want to see a brief overview of the timeline and terminology used in Blazblue, I recommend this site.

Blazblue Explained

Last edited:
Back