A Second Sunrise: Taiwan of 2020 Sent Back to 1911

What the Americans in the story have would be the equivalent of China's BeiDou or the Russian Glonass system.

how interchangeable are they? BeiDou, Galileo and GPS IRL are pretty easy to use together. The difference between their coordinate grids are centimetres at most. And they use the same systems to get coordinates from sats (2 sats give a running fix, 3 a pretty good fix, but not perfect, 4 eliminate the inaccuracies in the clock inside your satnav device).

Navigational System for Tracking and Ranging Global Positioning System or Navstar GPS or GPS uses the same frequency on all their sats. But a different Amplitude for each sat (that way your device knows which sats its in contact with)
BeiDou and Galileo do the same. In truth, if you navigate with Google Maps on e.g. an Android Phone, it'd use GPS and Galileo sats both. You could de facto consider all of them to be one single system (apart from the GPS sats als having an encrypted signal only decrypted by the US armed forces and allied forces part of a NATO operation, which gives pinpoint accuracy)

Globalnaja Navigatsionaja Spoetnikovaja Systema or Global Orbiting Navigation System or Glonass uses different frequencies for each sat (with the exception that sats on the opposite side of Earth have the same frequency). They use a radically different system to get a position fix (and like I said another coordinate grid). Glonass basically sucks. Only in the polar regions does it approach the accuracy of GPS

With coordinate grid, I mean the mathematical models used to approximate the shape of the Earth, which is not a perfect orb after all

I'm probably overthinking all this here

edit: there are also smaller scale networks IRL, like the Japanese one, but that one just improves the accuracy of GPS in the area around Japan specifically, being made to complement the American satnav system (and only having a few sats)

Last edited:
Just wondering are nukes being considered for development or did Taiwan leave that in the past, because if I were them I'd worry if the racist Americans won and decided they wanted to "deal" with the Asian nations or something like that.
It's one of those things that they don't have, but they could develop it disturbingly quickly.

Which is basically the plan: Don't develop them unless you absolutely have to.

There's a bit of a taboo on it, like the Rift technology that sent them back in time in the first place, but there are ways around developing nukes, just like with the Rift research.

For example, they could, in theory, open a Rift to another timeline with an empty area far away from civilization and test nuclear weapons there.

…And by "could," I mean they absolutely would do that, because China's intelligence agency is run by the friendliest amoral person in the world.

I mean, this is the person who "Hell Yeah I'd Kill Baby Hitler"-d the Saudi Royal Family and outright armed the Central American revolutions to screw over the United Fruit Company.

Testing nuclear weapons in an alternate reality is probably less-messed up.

Last edited:
Strength of a Thousand Suns
Ruins of Sorgel City, Former Reichkommissariat Mittelmeer, Mediterranean Wasteland, 14 August 1999 (Local Date)

"The theory is that, well," the scientist from Japan told the assembled team in English, "Is that every single Rift leads to a universe that is similar enough to ours in terms of physics, yet different in history."

"I get that, Hiro," Zhou Min told her second-in-command, "But that doesn't explain why we're here, of all places. It's the middle of the Sahara Desert, of all places. You'd think they'd try to send us, y'know, somewhere more hospitable?"

"Just be happy we didn't run into any locals like O'Neil's team did when they went through their own Rift," Aleksandr Pavlichenko muttered, before looking at his gear. Sure enough, there were no signs of any civilization remaining, "No people is the perfect amount of people, and Rift Command will want to hear the good news. Especially when there's nothing but desert for miles."

"If that's what they want, then so be it," Hiro sighed, only to taste the salty air again. "Ugh. People or no people, I don't want to be here any longer than I need to."

"I bet the locals thought the same thing," Aleks figured, before looking at the ruined city in the desert. Buildings were fairly minimalistic, but they still had a certain Classical influence he couldn't put his finger on. "Two weeks in, and we barely know who these people were, or what happened to them."

"Context clues say Nazi Germany, or something similar to them," Min figured, before closing the window to the abandoned building they'd been resting in. She, like most post-journey children, still remembered the atrocities of the Lost History, since her Uptimer parents had drilled it into her head when she was little. "As to where... my guess is the middle of what used to be the Mediterranean Sea."

"Used to?" Hiro couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Okay, Nazis I get, what with all the giant swastikas all over the place, but how could this 'used to' be the Mediterranean? What, did they drain it of all the water?"

"...Yes." Aleks didn't really know how else to say it. "'Mittelmeer' is German for the Mediterranean."

"Okay, that makes sense," Hiro relented, paying no attention to the fact that they had used a particle collider to traverse time and space to an alternate world, "But what I don't get is why the Nazis would want to drain it."

"Wouldn't be the first time a megalomaniacal dictator had insane, grand, plans," Aleks figured, "Plus, the Nazis weren't exactly known for their practicality... or sanity."

"Fair enough. I guess that explains the desert. But what about the traces of radiation?"

"Nuclear war?"

"Maybe."

"It's possible, Aleks," Min figured, before looking out at the ruined city in the man-made desert. "The only question is why Command would want to find a place like this when most worlds aren't, y'know... nuked to Hell and back?"

Chinese Particle Collider, Beijing, Zhili Province, Republic of China, 1 February 1942

"Rift 17-B is the perfect candidate," Director Fong said to her predecessor, "Trace amounts of radiation from nuclear war, large tracts of inhospitable land surrounding the Rift Entrance, and possibly no trace of human life make it the perfect fit."

"Plus, y'know... the entire world being dominated by the Nazis," former Director Li added. "I don't think anybody would object to using a world that was dominated by genocidal fascists who all died in nuclear hellfire as a testing ground. Assuming that's what this is all about, anyways, and that we aren't building a trans-dimensional Gulag to toss people into."

"Marty, you know me well enough that I wouldn't abuse the very scientific knowledge that sent our island back into the past to build a blacksite."

"Well, that's a relief."

"Of course. Plus, we have plenty of those, already. Here. On Earth."

"Fair enough. So nukes, huh?"

"Yes. With the Nationalists and their militias running around, the risk of nuclear proliferation is at an all-time high. While I don't think the Nationalists would build nukes, we have sources in DC saying that they've at least considered it, and they could develop such a weapon in as little as two years."

"And we can't be caught flat-footed."

"Of course not. And while there are environmental, political, and social complications developing and testing nuclear weapons in our own timeline..."

"...Those problems don't exist if we test it in another timeline. Preferably one that doesn't have any people who'd be impacted from testing nuclear weapons in another one."

"And such a site would mitigate the risk of interfering with any alternate timeline of revealing what we know to them."

"That it would," Li agreed. It made enough sense when he thought about it: If you were going to develop nuclear weapons, the best place to do it would be in the ass-end of nowhere of a timeline seemingly devoid of human life. Even moreso, if said human life were Nazis. "Still sounds insane, though."

"It probably is," Fong admitted, "But would you rather develop and test nuclear weapons in our timeline, or in a timeline that doesn't have to worry about it anymore."

"Personally, I'd rather not develop nuclear weapons in the first place, but if we are... this is probably our best bet."

"Plus, y'know... the entire world being dominated by the Nazis," former Director Li added. "I don't think anybody would object to using a world that was dominated by genocidal fascists who all died in nuclear hellfire as a testing ground
The entire world's dead then? Because the survivors, if they retain some technological sophistication, are gonna notice if test nukes start popping off in the middle of the dead Mediterranean.

It'd be really awkward if the reason the Rift surroundings are abandoned is because it's a memorial to all the dead people, and some guys from a different timeline come in and start nuking it lmao

It'd be really awkward if the reason the Rift surroundings are abandoned is because it's a memorial to all the dead people, and some guys from a different timeline come in and start nuking it lmao
"Oh boy, society sure has gone to shit, but it is nice that we have rebuilt from the ashes and without any Nazism this time-"

Nuke explodes

"Shit."

In all seriousness, the teams (which are totally-not-based-on-Stargate-I-swear) tend to be tracking things like comms traffic and other signs of life, so they can be fairly certain there isn't a sign of civilization left.

That, and two of the three policies are "Find one that's already been nuked" and "Also find an accessible place in the ass end of nowhere."

The third one is "If the world was dominated by Nazis, fuck them."

"If we run into the Draka, nuke first, nuke second, and only then, ask questions before nuking thrice."
"But..."
"DRAKA."
"....you make a good point."

"If we run into the Draka, nuke first, nuke second, and only then, ask questions before nuking thrice."
"But..."
"DRAKA."
"....you make a good point."
List of Potential Timelines to Avoid, Invade with Overwhelming Force, and/or Annihilate with Nuclear Weapons:

1. Draka
2. Man in the High Castle
3. The New Order: Last Days of Europe
4. Resistance: Fall of Man
5. Anything written by Tom Kratman
6. Anything written by Bill Lind
7. Handmaid's Tale
8. Decades of Darkness
9. The Salvation War
10. Wolfenstein
11. The settings of my own games

A bit busy with work today, but here's a "Fun" fact about the timeline Rift Team 05, the guys of the previous sidestory, visited:

It's basically The New Order: Last Days of Europe, if "RK Mittelmeer" wasn't a giveaway.

Well, one of the older iterations of it, from when Lonely Knightess (Great person, btw. They helped me out when I was launching my game Tyrannis) initially started posting about the project on ModDB, back in the late 2010s.

"OId TNO" is wild, and I love it. It's kinda how I ended up getting interested in the project and what inspired my own games, to an extent.

Last edited:
Broken Hearts of Gold
"Reunion," Ken Burns' The Second Civil War, PBS Studios, 1990

KIMURA: It was pretty much smooth sailing until Williston, over in North Dakota, where we met up with the 33rd and 2nd Cav. After that, well, I was just relieved.

KIMURA: If we were here and they were here, then that meant we'd cut off what was left of the Nats that were still stuck in Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah.

KIMURA: Sure, they got a whole lot of their guys out of there, but it's easy to move them and everything on their back.

KIMURA: But tanks, guns, and all the other stuff? That's a hell of a lot harder when you're running for your life and getting peppered by Scrapper drones.

KIMURA: Didn't help that the Nats in the West weren't exactly swimming in manpower before, so I see what they were doing.

KIMURA: Not that I cared, though. We were too busy celebrating with the guys from the East. They even managed to get a whole food truck all the way out here, and I remember Mo was happy to eat In-N-Out again.

KIMURA: The next day, though… That was something else.

KIMURA: On that day, we would come across our first Internment Camp.

Outskirts of Fortuna, North Dakota, Unionist-Controlled Territory, United States of America, 12 July 1945

"All I'm saying," Daigo Shinoda said to his best friend riding shotgun and the Chinese woman in the back, "Is that it's really fucking funny that Teddy Roosevelt was so racist that when he met your Dad, Mo, he came to the conclusion that he should treat Chinese people with respect because they 'Embraced American civilization,' as he put it."

"I wouldn't go that far," Morgan laughed, "Yeah, Baba met President Roosevelt before I was born, but my mother always told me that it wasn't him. Just that in his eyes, people like Baba and Mama are 'civilized.'"

"Because he thought people like your Dad are Americanized," Sam chimed in. "Wait, isn't he from Irvine?"

"Hong Kong, actually. Immigrated after the Communists took over in 1997."

"The Hell's a communist?" asked Daigo, before the truck screeched to a halt. "Ah fuck, not again!"

"What's up?" Morgan asked, before getting back up. "IED?"

"Don't sound like an IED," Sam muttered. Not that it stopped him from clutching his rifle. "Spectre 1-1 to lead vehicle: What's the holdup?"

"Enemy base, boss," Nakano answered back, "Looks abandoned. Think we should check for survivors?"

"I'll call it in," Sam sighed. He wasn't about to get his hopes up, but he still called it in. "Odin, this is Spectre 1-1. Have eyes on a possible abandoned enemy base. Requesting permission to search for intel and survivors. How copy?"

"Copy, 1-1," the voice crackled on the other end, "Stay alert for traps. Odin out."

"Kim gave us the green light," Sam said, before dismounting. Morgan, get overwatch. D, get your medkit for any survivors."

"Never leave home without it."

"Got it."

The trek inside was… quiet.

Too quiet.

They approached slowly, only moving ahead when Morgan confirmed the watchtowers were clear.

"Must've left in a hurry," Daigo said over the smell of burning paper. "Burnt everything they couldn't take."

"Looks like it," Sam sighed. "Let's keep moving. Nats might've rigged the place, so keep your eyes sharp."

"Figured they'd have shown up on drones, though. We've been flying them out here for the last week."

"It's a POW camp," Morgan chimed in, "Not like we could really do anything. For all we know, they could've been carrying POWs with them."

"Fair enough." Daigo shut up after that, only to see the prisoner barracks. "Damn thing is padlocked."

"Anyone know how to pick a lock?"

Morgan raised her hand. "That depends. Got a shotgun?"

"Only if you want to walk back to the truck," Sam told her. "What's the difference?"

"About a minute, tops," she answered, before taking a crack at it. "…Or like ten seconds."

"Impressive," Sam complimented.

Morgan shrugged. "Nah, just a Master Lock. So, whose turn is it to go first?"

Daigo looked at Sam. Sam looked at Daigo.

"You owe me," Sam said, before nervously opening the door. "Breaching- Ugh, what the Hell is that smell?"

What could only be described as a mix of urine, feces, and rotting corpses filled their nostrils as they swept the room with their flashlights on.

But that? That wasn't the worst of it.

No, that would be the emaciated bodies in the beds.

They were different, in a way.

Some were tall. Others short. Mostly shorter.

Some were men. Others were women.

Some old, but mostly young.

Some were alive. Most were dead.

Some were dark-skinned, while others were lighter.

But in this room, they had two things in common:

One, that they all were adults and emaciated to some extent or another.

And the other was that they all had brown eyes and black or brown hair, and a similar general complexion.

"Water…" a voice croaked. "Please… water…"

Sam looked down to see a frail woman who looked double his age with how gaunt she was.

Quickly, he handed his canteen to her, with Daigo and Morgan doing the same for others.

"Spectre 1-1 to Odin," Sam spoke into his radio, "We have civilian casualties. Requesting immediate medical assistance at the following coordinates…"

"Interview with Former Governor Hosato Takei," Off-Stage: The Xero Podcast, 2003.

SHINODA: For a lot of us who grew up Asian-American, we heard the stories about the camps. But there is a difference when you were alive at the time. Could you tell me about your experiences when you heard the news?

TAKEI: Now, I grew up in Los Angeles, so my family was lucky enough to avoid the reprisals. But I remember a mix of emotions from my mother. It was… a mix of fury, sadness, and confusion.

SHINODA: Could you go into detail about that?

TAKEI: Sure. There was a sadness at what we'd learned happened. A fury that Americans would do this to their fellow Americans. And confusion - wondering why they locked all these people in camps.

TAKEI: And when we learned that it was because they thought we might betray America as a sort of "Fifth Column," there was even more confusion.

SHINODA: I know you don't believe the conspiracy theories, and I want you to know that I don't either, but a lot of people who justify the camps by arguing that some of the Chinese volunteers were MIB agents.

TAKEI: (Laughs hollowly) To tell you the truth, Mike, it still brings my blood to a boil, even after all these years. But I would argue that wether or not somebody is an agent, that doesn't justify illegally imprisoning and abusing your neighbors in violation of the Constitution.

SHINODA: It does indeed. And is it true that the camps were what got you into politics?

TAKEI: I've always believed in being an active citizen, but wanting to avoid the same mistakes definitely played a part.

SHINODA: That, and verbally eviscerating somebody who was against a monument in front of the LA City Council on live TV.

TAKEI: Well, you have to start somewhere.

SHINODA: Sure, but most of us wouldn't have to tell somebody, "Your argument is made of stupidity" in a public forum.

TAKEI: Most of us don't have to deal with people denying war crimes.

SHINODA: And we're better for it.

Last edited:
I'd invite them to visit the Timeline I've been cooking up, but they might get worried about all the unspeakable eldritch horrors, no matter how friendly they are.

Random Thought Time:

I just realized that Asian people in both timelines have a group of weirdos in the West who are, for lack of a better term, "Fucking Weirdos" about them.

Just that this timeline, they do the exact opposite of fetishizing.

Similar amounts of weirdo douchebag energy, though.

"Reunion," Ken Burns' The Second Civil War, PBS Studios, 1990

KIMURA: It was pretty much smooth sailing until Williston, over in North Dakota, where we met up with the 33rd and 2nd Cav. After that, well, I was just relieved.

KIMURA: If we were here and they were here, then that meant we'd cut off what was left of the Nats that were still stuck in Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah.

KIMURA: Sure, they got a whole lot of their guys out of there, but it's easy to move them and everything on their back.

KIMURA: But tanks, guns, and all the other stuff? That's a hell of a lot harder when you're running for your life and getting peppered by Scrapper drones.

KIMURA: Didn't help that the Nats in the West weren't exactly swimming in manpower before, so I see what they were doing.

KIMURA: Not that I cared, though. We were too busy celebrating with the guys from the East. They even managed to get a whole food truck all the way out here, and I remember Mo was happy to eat In-N-Out again.

KIMURA: The next day, though… That was something else.

KIMURA: On that day, we would come across our first Internment Camp.

Outskirts of Fortuna, North Dakota, Unionist-Controlled Territory, United States of America, 12 July 1945

"All I'm saying," Daigo Shinoda said to his best friend riding shotgun and the Chinese woman in the back, "Is that it's really fucking funny that Teddy Roosevelt was so racist that when he met your Dad, Mo, he came to the conclusion that he should treat Chinese people with respect because they 'Embraced American civilization,' as he put it."

"I wouldn't go that far," Morgan laughed, "Yeah, Baba met President Roosevelt before I was born, but my mother always told me that it wasn't him. Just that in his eyes, people like Baba and Mama are 'civilized.'"

"Because he thought people like your Dad are Americanized," Sam chimed in. "Wait, isn't he from Irvine?"

"Hong Kong, actually. Immigrated after the Communists took over in 1997."

"The Hell's a communist?" asked Daigo, before the truck screeched to a halt. "Ah fuck, not again!"

"What's up?" Morgan asked, before getting back up. "IED?"

"Don't sound like an IED," Sam muttered. Not that it stopped him from clutching his rifle. "Spectre 1-1 to lead vehicle: What's the holdup?"

"Enemy base, boss," Nakano answered back, "Looks abandoned. Think we should check for survivors?"

"I'll call it in," Sam sighed. He wasn't about to get his hopes up, but he still called it in. "Odin, this is Spectre 1-1. Have eyes on a possible abandoned enemy base. Requesting permission to search for intel and survivors. How copy?"

"Copy, 1-1," the voice crackled on the other end, "Stay alert for traps. Odin out."

"Kim gave us the green light," Sam said, before dismounting. Morgan, get overwatch. D, get your medkit for any survivors."

"Never leave home without it."

"Got it."

The trek inside was… quiet.

Too quiet.

They approached slowly, only moving ahead when Morgan confirmed the watchtowers were clear.

"Must've left in a hurry," Daigo said over the smell of burning paper. "Burnt everything they couldn't take."

"Looks like it," Sam sighed. "Let's keep moving. Nats might've rigged the place, so keep your eyes sharp."

"Figured they'd have shown up on drones, though. We've been flying them out here for the last week."

"It's a POW camp," Morgan chimed in, "Not like we could really do anything. For all we know, they could've been carrying POWs with them."

"Fair enough." Daigo shut up after that, only to see the prisoner barracks. "Damn thing is padlocked."

"Anyone know how to pick a lock?"

Morgan raised her hand. "That depends. Got a shotgun?"

"Only if you want to walk back to the truck," Sam told her. "What's the difference?"

"About a minute, tops," she answered, before taking a crack at it. "…Or like ten seconds."

"Impressive," Sam complimented.

Morgan shrugged. "Nah, just a Master Lock. So, whose turn is it to go first?"

Daigo looked at Sam. Sam looked at Daigo.

"You owe me," Sam said, before nervously opening the door. "Breaching- Ugh, what the Hell is that smell?"

What could only be described as a mix of urine, feces, and rotting corpses filled their nostrils as they swept the room with their flashlights on.

But that? That wasn't the worst of it.

No, that would be the emaciated bodies in the beds.

They were different, in a way.

Some were tall. Others short. Mostly shorter.

Some were men. Others were women.

Some old, but mostly young.

Some were alive. Most were dead.

Some were dark-skinned, while others were lighter.

But in this room, they had two things in common:

One, that they all were adults and emaciated to some extent or another.

And the other was that they all had brown eyes and black or brown hair, and a similar general complexion.

"Water…" a voice croaked. "Please… water…"

Sam looked down to see a frail woman who looked double his age with how gaunt she was.

Quickly, he handed his canteen to her, with Daigo and Morgan doing the same for others.

"Spectre 1-1 to Odin," Sam spoke into his radio, "We have civilian casualties. Requesting immediate medical assistance at the following coordinates…"

"Interview with Former Governor Hosato Takei," Off-Stage: The Xero Podcast, 2003.

SHINODA: For a lot of us who grew up Asian-American, we heard the stories about the camps. But there is a difference when you were alive at the time. Could you tell me about your experiences when you heard the news?

TAKEI: Now, I grew up in Los Angeles, so my family was lucky enough to avoid the reprisals. But I remember a mix of emotions from my mother. It was… a mix of fury, sadness, and confusion.

SHINODA: Could you go into detail about that?

TAKEI: Sure. There was a sadness at what we'd learned happened. A fury that Americans would do this to their fellow Americans. And confusion - wondering why they locked all these people in camps.

TAKEI: And when we learned that it was because they thought we might betray America as a sort of "Fifth Column," there was even more confusion.

SHINODA: I know you don't believe the conspiracy theories, and I want you to know that I don't either, but a lot of people who justify the camps by arguing that some of the Chinese volunteers were MIB agents.

TAKEI: (Laughs hollowly) To tell you the truth, Mike, it still brings my blood to a boil, even after all these years. But I would argue that wether or not somebody is an agent, that doesn't justify illegally imprisoning and abusing your neighbors in violation of the Constitution.

SHINODA: It does indeed. And is it true that the camps were what got you into politics?

TAKEI: I've always believed in being an active citizen, but wanting to avoid the same mistakes definitely played a part.

SHINODA: That, and verbally eviscerating somebody who was against a monument in front of the LA City Council on live TV.

TAKEI: Well, you have to start somewhere.

SHINODA: Sure, but most of us wouldn't have to tell somebody, "Your argument is made of stupidity" in a public forum.

TAKEI: Most of us don't have to deal with people denying war crimes.

SHINODA: And we're better for it.

I hope this alternate version of George Takei shares the sense of humour of his IRL self - because IRL Takei has perfected the art of trolling reactionaries over social media. :p

I hope this alternate version of George Takei shares the sense of humour of his IRL self - because IRL Takei has perfected the art of trolling reactionaries over social media. :p
Oh definitely.

Governor Takei's 1998 re-election campaign would see him go viral on social media when he responded to a heckler claiming his support of contracpetion and the right to an abortion made him "Responsible for a million abortions across California."

In response, Governor Takei joked that "I believe abortion is a personal choice, not the government's. Now, I can only speak for (my husband) Brad and myself, but neither of us have had an abortion, nor do we plan to."

What about the Diaoyu Islands?

Because in real life the government of the Republic of China on Taiwan also claims these islands as part of their territory.

Happy 4th of July!

And to celebrate, I think it's time for another special chapter/short story... that may be to make up for me losing my draft of the next chapter.

Looks like we're going into another universe, and this one'll be "extra" Patriotic.

Chapter XX-1776
Chiang Kai-Shek Park, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China, 4 July 1945

The moon was fairly beautiful that night.

Sure, there was the whole issue of the power getting cut after an earthquake and a bright flash of light, but Morgan Chen's time in the Second American Civil War had taught her to appreciate the silver linings in things.

"You know," she said to her Uncle Martin, "When you said the MIB had plans for everything, I didn't think you meant literally everything."

"Well, you weren't during the Journey," her surrogate uncle and mentor told her, "Back then, we were making things up as we went. And we all know how that went when your father landed at Ishigaki."

"...you mean how he met Mama, she helped him administrate the island, and then they got married and had me and Lin?"

"Okay, bad example," the former spymaster-turned-academic admitted. The Battle of Ishigaki was, for all of its haphazard planning, an absolute success. "The Revolution, then. Sure, we knew how to invade the mainland, but administering it was a pain in the ass. Roads were shit or non-existent, railways were still owned by the colonialists, and comms were basically telegraphs at best. Not to mention that we didn't even have the manpower to actually administrate the country we'd just taken over."

"So you were making it up as you went?"

Her uncle shrugged. "Pretty much. And your father and I both learned a few lessons by the end of it. Your father, for example, learned that he's a better administrator than a commander."

His niece-in-all-but-name gave him a dirty look, as if he'd practically insulted her and her entire family.

Which, now that he thought about it, he kinda did.

"Don't get me wrong," Li quickly clarified, "I mean, he's good at both, but Mike's always been a damn savant when it comes to logistics."

"Baba literally helps make the trains run on time," said niece admitted. It didn't come out too much, but Marty had noticed Morgan and Lin were quick to defend their parents. "And what'd you learn?"

"That we need to have a plan for everything. Or, if that's not enough, have a plan to have a plan for whatever does happen."

"So which one is it for this, then?" she said, motioning to the helicopters in the sky and the lights flickering back on. "Find a plan, or make one?"

"Get to HQ and figure out what the fuck just happened," her uncle sighed, "We need to find out where we are and what got sent back with us."

"Isn't that how most of these "Mass-Teleportation Event Contingencies" work out?"

"...Yes. I shout know. I wrote the first few of them."

Military Intelligence Bureau Headquarters, Nanjing, National Capital Region, Republic of China, 5 July 1945 (Downtime Calendar)

Samuel Kimura thought he'd been everywhere.

Hell, he'd practically driven across America a few years ago against the Nats and spent just as much of that time training in Europe and Asia to fight against the Holdouts.

But as far as places went, "Alternate Timelines" were a step too far.

It would be inconceivable, too, if it hadn't happened before.

"So... alternate timeline?" the American OSS agent finally begged the question to the MIB's Director, former Director, and a bunch of his fellow OSS agents.

"Yeah, alternate timeline," Morgan told him. For some reason, she sounded much more calm about it. "For what it's worth, the science checks out."

"You get used to it, kid," Morgan's uncle told him. "Goes double for the promotion. Same thing happened to me, when I was around your age."

"You're telling me that the MIB ceased to effectively exist when you got sent back in time?"

"Nah. I mean, we lost a bunch of agents who were in mainland China at the time, but we were that strapped for manpower that I got kicked up the chain." From the way he spoke, former Director Li seemed too calm for Sam's likes. Then again, he and his generation had been sent back before during the Great Journey. "Same with the Director over there."

"Now," Director Fong spoke as if she took her cue, "Let's begin this. What exactly do we know happened?"

"A Great Journey-level event occurred, via a Rift, Sh- er, Director," Morgan answered. "Similar events to what happened over three decades ago occurred last night, sending the nations of China and Korea back in time with all of its people."

"That much is clear, Agent Chen," the Director spoke professionally, "Which brings us to our next question: Where exactly are we?"

Caesar Alexander I High School, Manhattan, Washington Capital District, Washington, Continental States of America, 6 July 1975 (Uptime Calendar)

Summer school fucking sucked. There was no way around it, and James "Jimmy" Simmons knew it.

Was he a perfect student? No.

Did he know all the crap they were having him write out in this test? Yes.

Everyone and their mother knew that George Washington was the first Caesar, just as well as they knew that he spent five terms fighting the Shaysites, or that Benedict Arnold and Richard Montgomery were the Liberators of Canada.

Come on, they named two states after them for nothing. Same reason they renamed Mexico City after General Zachary Taylor.

Modern history was even easier, since it was a chronology of America's conquests. All he had to do is remember dates, and he could do that in his sleep:
  • Mexican-American War of 1846 to 1848
  • 1849 annexation of Hispaniola after the Bonapartes fell the previous year
  • Annexation of Central America in the 1850s through William Walker's Filibuster Wars
  • Final Conquest of the Caribbean (1871-1875)
  • Declaration of the Continental States of America in 1876
  • Japanese-American Alliance of 1901
  • Great East Asian War (1905-1910)
  • 1935 Assassination of Caesar George II Washington
The Great War was his specialty, though. His history teacher didn't like teaching wars because it was, in the man's words, "Reading off dates in chronological order."

So it was no surprise that Jimmy loved the subject.

Everything he needed to know was a date, from the 1937 European attack on the US fleet at Sapporo and the invasions of the Caribbean and Alaska, to the 1940 counterattack and the fall of Bermuda, to the conquest of Shaysite South America during the Rainforest War of 1941 to 1948, and the Treaty of Washington in '49 that annexed all of South America.

His teachers would say that history was more than dates. To them, it was the story of how a nation grew from thirteen colonies to an empire across America.

But they weren't the ones who wrote the test he was taking, and all he needed to know were the dates.

Just how he liked it.

"United States of Europe Recognizes Chinese Government as Legitimate Successor State, Sign Trade Deals," Europe News Today, 1 August 1975 (Uptime Calendar)

In light of the recent Mass Teleportation Event, the newly-appeared Republic of China has announced that it has recognized the United States of Europe today in a ceremony in Macau. Despite the distance between the two and Europe's rivalry with the Empire of Japan, European President Herbert Frahm has expressed an interest in continued cooperation with regard to geopolitics and technological exchanges.

For their part, Japan continues to claim the Island of Taiwan and the Korean Peninsula as their rightful territory, which has been backed up by their allies in the Continental States and the members of the Minority Rule-led African Defense League.

Continental States Sends Mercenaries to Assist Japanese with Anti-Kirihara Uprisings, Accord News Network, 8 October 1975 (Uptime Calendar)

Revolts against the Kirihara Zaibatsu continue throughout the Japanese sphere of influence, with the security group taking several casualties by newly-armed worker militias. With their forces stretched thin, the Kirihara Group has entered into a contract with the American Continental Armed Security Services for the latter to send multiple detachments throughout East Asia and Southeast Asia.

The Japanese Government is currently undergoing an economic crisis after the loss of their Korean and Taiwanese holdings during the Mass Teleportation Event, which also led to the mass-disappearance of the bulk of their troops who had been stationed in Korea and Taiwan.

Continental Armed Security Services (or CASS for short) is the world's largest security contractor. Based in the Continental States of America, it was formed by Caesar John Washington in the wake of the mass unemployment among returning veterans and the need for occupational forces in South America after the wake of the Twelve Year War.

CASS has served as the main occupational and integrational force in the Americas, and the current Caesar Justin Washington has expanded their scope to the Integrated Territories of North and Central America to assist the Ministry of Internal Control with handling civilian unrest.

Critics both inside and outside the Continental States have argued that it is a conflict of interest for the leader of the nation to have a paramilitary force that is ultimately answerable to himself, though Caesar Justin Washington has brushed this off as "More Cultural Shaysite talk that got my brother, your First Princeps, assassinated years ago."

Office of Strategic Actions, Staten Island, Washington Capital District, Washington, Continental States of America, 6 September 1975 (Uptime Calendar)

"You know something?" Director William Lawrence asked his teenaged daughter before pouring himself a drink, "Having somebody trained from birth to be in charge only works if that person is actually competent. If you stop... What's the phrase you kids say nowadays?"

"Rolling twenties?" his adopted Zenobia asked him.

"That's the one!" the spymaster confirmed, only to start glaring when she pulled the bottle away. "I was using that."

"And you've had enough to drink... Even if you are doing it to keep up appearances."

She knew that was a lie. So did he.

The man used his drinking to hide his competence the same way he used his status as a war hero to protect himself from ever getting fired.

Well, that, and decades worth of blackmail, but the whole point of that was not going around rubbing it in people's faces so they didn't just shoot you.

But Zenobia (or "Zen" as her adopted father called her) knew full well that at least part of him drank after all the shit he saw during the Twelve Year War.

"So," she finally decided for the two of them. "What did Tom's idiot little brother do to make you regret helping having to fake Tom's death instead of protecting him this time?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

Zen sighed, "Is this about the 'America for the Americans' plan he's bringing up?"

"'Course it is, Zen. The little shit's going around saying that up to forty percent of the damn population isn't 'Real Americans.' Do you know how much it costs to go after every non-Protestant and non-English speaker to make them speak English and pray to Protestant Jesus?"

"I'd assume the answer is 'a lot.'"

"You're damn right it is," the spymaster groaned, "And the little shit's doing that, instead of working to actually do right by the people he's responsible of. Kid's a ruler, not a leader, and he's got CASS overstretched going after randos instead of actual security threats. It's just- Fuck!"

"I suppose you didn't bring me here to vent, Dad?"

The old man formed a tired smile. "Course not, Zen. But we don't have the resources to do what needs to be done. Even if we had Tom show up again and say that he is the rightful Caesar of the CSA, it'd be us against basically everyone else and I do not like those odds."

"You have a plan?"

"'Course I do. I'll send out some feelers, but I think we can use this whole 'Mass Teleportation Event' crap to our advantage."

"Sounds like a job for me?" Her father nodded. "Give me a time and place."

"I'll have it for you in an hour," he called after her, "Can I at least have my drink back?!"

"Nope!"

Roazhon, Republic of Brittany, United States of Europe, 30 September 1975 (Uptime Calendar)

"This has to be the first time you've called us here for a social call, Pete," Sam Kimura told the Breton smuggler, "Gun shipments not supposed to get sent to East Asia for another few weeks."

Pierre Delaporte almost looked disappointed. Almost.

"What, a guy can't invite his friends over for dinner?"

"Making friends in this line of work's not really our thing," Morgan chimed in, "No offense, but you know how it is, right?"

"Fair," the Breton smuggler admitted, "Then consider this a business meeting between esteemed business partners. We're at least that, right?"

Sam looked at Morgan.

Morgan looked at Sam.

"Sure, let's go with that," she figured. "It's pretty much the truth."

"The best kind of truth," Delaporte chuckled, before bringing them over to a table with another man and woman. "Morgan, Sam, I'd like you to meet Zen and Tom. Tom and Zen, meet Morgan and Sam."

"Pleased to meet you," Morgan greeted, while Sam just nodded. "So, you two are Americans?"

"Yeah... you could say that," the man named Tom answered for the two on his side. "So, you're Pete's business partners from China?"

"We're the middlemen," Sam explained, "We get the goods from China, sell them to Pete, and he sells them to Europe. Pretty good deal all around, once you figure it's cheaper than buying from Kirihara."

"They must hate you," Tom laughed, "Kirihara - Well, I guess Japan as a whole, but Kirihara practically owns the country at this point - hasn't dealt with anyone who can actually fight back for decades. They're the dominant power in asia, and the most they've had to fight were rebels with zip guns."

"Then out of nowhere," Tom continued, "Comes an entire superpower that is better-armed that can out-produce them. Next thing they know, they're fighting rebels with assault rifles, RPGs, and missile launchers and getting undercut by their next-door neighbors. Who, I should add, also got rid of their two biggest colonies in Taiwan and Korea through a literal act of God."

"Well, I can neither confirm nor deny that first one," Sam chuckled, "So, why'd Pete bring us out here to meet you guys, anyways?"

"Let's put it this way," Tom spoke for his side. Morgan noticed that he did most of the talking, while Zen just looked on. Morgan coudln't just ask her, but she had a suspicion that the woman (and in all likelihood the man with her) were some kinds of agents. "You don't like Japan's government or the zaibatsus controlling it."

"Japan's government and the zaibatsues allied with the American dictatorship."

"We don't like the American dictatorship, and they're allied with the zaibatsus and the the Japanese government."

"So our goals align," Morgan figured, and the younger man nodded. "So what are you guys, anyways? Rebels?"

"I could ask the same of you," Zen spoke up, seemingly for the first time. "It's not every day we meet two Asians who speak English with perfect Californian accents."

Sam shrugged. "Blame all this Mass Teleportation crap. So as far as we're concerned, what should we call you?"

"Concerned Citizens," Tom answered.

Skies over January River (Formerly Rio de Janeiro), Saint Paul, Continental States of America, 2 November 1975 (Uptime Calendar)

"Fifth one this week," Keegan Harper muttered to his co-pilot over the radio. "Where the fuck did the rebs get RPGs from?"

"Fifty-fifty it's the Euros or those slant-eyed bastards over in China," Adam, his co-pilot, shouted back, "My money's on number two!"

"I'll take that bet," Keegan muttered, "Christ. I do not get paid enough to deal with this shit. You heard what happened with Jerry's chopper?"

"Shot down at the LZ," Adam sighed. "Can't say I liked the guy, but that's a shitty way to go. You know what's the worst part?"

"What?"

"It's all preventable. If he wasn't flying in a straight line, the idiot'd still be alive, and we wouldn't have to be the ones ferrying the fireteams out here. No offense, of course."

"None taken!" the team leader shouted over the rotors. He was a bit too cheerful for Keegan's liking, but it wasn't like they had to do anything more than drop him off and provide air support while they searched for the rebels. "ETA?"

"Five mikes," Keegan answered, before beginning his descent and seeing a familiar streak in the sky. "Gladio 1-1 to all choppers: We have confirmed RPG fire in the sky. Take immediate evasive action if you don't want to get shot down."

"Copy, 1-1," the pilot of 1-2 answered over the mic. "Evading."

Now, a rocket propelled grenade was a death sentence if it hit your helicopter, but that was just it. If it hit your helicopter.

Like most projectiles, rockets had a predictable trajectory. Get out of the trajectory, and it wouldn't hit your helicopter.

So when the rocket turned to follow Gladio 1-2, Keegan could only look in horror as the helicopter flew right into the missile it'd moved to evade.

Shit.

Not only had half their manpower been shot down, but the enemy missile had locked onto 1-2 despite its evasive maneuvers.

"Command, this is Gladio 1-1. Gladio 1-2 has been shot down by what appears to be a tracking missile. Please advise."

"Gladio 1-1," the replying voice greeted, "You are cleared to return to base at your discretion. Please be advised that you and your attached fireteam will be forfeiting any hazard pay if you do not complete your mission, but it's ultimately your call."

"Copy, Command. Standby for response," Keegan answered, before turning to the fireteam in his chopper. "So, you guys good with heading back to base?"

The other mercs just looked at him blankly, before the team leader shrugged. "Eh, live to fight another day."

"Works for me," Keegan decided, before turning his mic back on. "Command, we've decided to RTB and forfeit the mission pay."

"Copy, 1-1. We'll have the pad cleared for your landing. Command out."

"Let's get out of here," he decided for everyone aboard the chopper. "ETA thirty minutes."

I do not get paid enough for this bullshit.

World's End Bar, Ushuaia, Magellan, Continental States of America, 25 December 1975 (Uptime Calendar)

"Turns out the American mercs didn't expect somebody else to fight back, either," Tom told his two patrons at the bar. "Not that I'm complaining, though."

"That's the thing I don't get," Morgan pointed out, "So you guys in America have a military, which does military things, and a mercenary army that also does the same kind of work?"

"Pretty much. Ever since my- er, when the last Caesar came to power," To Tom's relief, neither of his guests noticed the slip-up. "Business has always had a hand in everything. You should've seen it when I was a kid: Companies were moving left and right to take control of everything they could get their hands on in South America. Even started having their own security forces going after one another at times."

"Factor in that we had two continets' worth of decommissioned soldiers who needed jobs, and we were looking at the makings of a full-on corporate war that'd burn down everything that wasn't already burned to the ground in South America and bring the war home to North and Central America if something wasn't done."

"So a state-run monopoly on mercenaries," Sam observed, and Tom nodded. "Doesn't sound very Free Market."

"Neither is having your hands so far up almost everyone's ass in the government that they're your puppet, but here we are. Anyways, it kinda worked at first - CASS handled all the manpower needs down south, which meant the military could de-mobilize and we'd have the semblance of peace. Problem is... well, three things, if I'm being honest."

"First," the bartender told them, "Is that Caesar John Washington died. Official story's that he got sick, but I have pretty good intel saying otherwise."

"How did-"

"Second, is that the First Princeps Thomas Washington died," Tom continued, paying no attention to Morgan's question. "America - well, this America, anyways, doesn't officially have a monarchy, but the Caesar is an Absolute Monarch in all but name and the First Princeps is sort of like a Crown Prince."

"So a hereditary dictatorship," Morgan observed. "Doesn't sound too Presidential."

"Trust me, I know," Tom sighed, "But for the most part, it kinda worked. Every Caesar, be they George I, Alexander I, Phillip, Alexander II, George II, or John Washington, was either smart, competent, smart and competent, or they surrounded themselves with people who were one of those three things and listened to them. I mean, you don't get this far from just dumb luck alone, right?"

"Makes sense," Morgan admitted, as much as she didn't like it. "But what happens when you get somebody who isn't, y'know, competent, smart, or decent?"

"Well that's how you get to our third problem," Tom muttered. Morgan could see his hands ball up into fists. "The current Caesar."

"The racist one, right?"

"They're all racist, Morgan," Tom admitted. From the looks of it, he wasn't too happy to say it. "Not 'lynch mob' racist, but you don't get a contrinent-spanning empire by not clubbing minorities. Then this new Caesar decided to turn it up to eleven."

"You know," Morgan interrupted, before downing her drink, "Usually it's the patrons griping to the bartender. Not the other way around."

Which is a fancy way to ask, "Why did you bring us all the way down here to the literal end of the world?"

"Well, it's not like I can do this myself, right? We're going to need everything: Manpower, Weapons, Resources, and Recognition. Zen's got the first part, and I have people who can get numbers 2 and 3. You're going to be how I get the last one."

"You think you can really pull this off?" Morgan asked him. At this point, she'd seen enough to know anything was possible. "I hope you know what you're getting yourself into."

"Let us handle the details," Tom promised. "Trust me: I know this shit inside and out. Been dealing with it my whole life."

"If you say so."

"All I ask is that when the time comes, we get that recognition. Extra guns and resources wouldn't hurt too, though."

"How North and South America Can Find Common Ground," by "Thomas Paine", Liberatdor Magazine, January 1976 (Uptime Calendar)

As I write this, mercenaries sent by the American Caesar are imprisoning and interning our fellow Americans all across the continent. What had once been relegated to South America and sometimes Central America (and censored in the media in North America) has now hit home as a new wave of arrests for charges of sedition have hit North American communities.

Activists, opposition politicians, and everyday people have been detained and imprisoned by the Ministry of Internal Control and shipped off to detention centers, just like their fellow Americans in South and Central America.

Peaceful protesters are dragged into vans and shot with live ammunition, just like their fellow Americans in South and Central America.

The American Caesar has argued that these people are not "Real Americans," just like their fellow Americans in South and Central America.

While some may see it as hypocritical that the North American people have only become aware of the injustices of the American Caesar's dictatorship when it started affecting them, the very fact that it does affect them creates a common cause between the people all across the Americas.

Some would even argue that we should refuse to cooperate with these potential allies, arguing that we should stand by ourselves as we had for decades.

To them, I ask which they want to be: Victorious or Self-Satisfied.

Because this is a golden opportunity for a United Front against all who oppose the dictatorship, and we need as many allies as we can get.

Pan-American Uprising

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Second American Revolution)

The Pan-American Uprising (also known as the Second American Revolution) was a popular uprising that led to the escape of Caesar Justin Washington to the unrecognized State of French Algeria.

The conflict began as a result of blowback against the American Caesar's abduction and subsequent detention of protesters throughout the North American states. While this has happened more recently in the Southern American states, the reality of these actions radicalized several sectors of the American populace and led to uprisings against Ministry of Internal Control (IC) forces and Continental Armed Security Services (CASS) mercenaries.

These protests would only be inflamed upon the return of First Princeps Thomas Washington, who had been presumed dead after a 1970 assassination in Tayabas, Philippines. His return, coupled with the Office of Strategic Action's surprise release of documents detailing the conspiracy to kill him and his father, Caesar John Washington, and replace him with his younger brother.

On July 4, 1976, Caesar Justin Washington would flee from the Cesarean Residence in Washington (now re-named New York City) and traveled via private plane to the State of French Algeria, where he currently leads a government-in-exile.

First Princeps Thomas Washington gave a speech the same day accepting the position as American Caesar, only to shock the crowd by abdicating and acknowledging the Provisional Government of the United American Republic as the legitimate successor to the COntinental States of America.

World's End Bar, Ushuaia, Magellan, Continental States of America, 4 July 1977 (Uptime Calendar)

"You know," Morgan told the bartender, "At the MIB, we have a plan for everything. Or at least a plan to have a plan for everything."

"I'd believe that," Tom figured, "OSA was pretty similar. So, what was yours?"

"Ally with the least-terrible people and screw over whoever is screwing over East Asia the most. Usually it's Japan in these scenarios? Sometimes China."

"Speaking of plans, you remember how I was talking about how the plan with the American Caesars would work?"

"Train somebody from birth to be the ruler so he's either smart, competent, or he can surround himself with people who are both. Then give him near-dictatorial powers."

"Exactly," Tom said with a smile, "And do you remember what the weakness in that system is, right?"

"That you're kinda screwed if you end up with a guy who's none of those things."

"Basically my little brother. Which is exactly what happened when I 'died.' You know what's the funny thing, though?"

"What?"

"What happens if you train somebody from birth to rule, and they don't want to?"

"Even if he's smart, competent, or willing to surround himself with people who are?"

"Well, I like to think that I am," Tom chuckled, "So sure, let's go with that."

"I..." Now that Morgan thought about it, she didn't really have an answer. "Honestly? I don't know. Not off the top of my head, anyways"

"I don't know either," Tom admitted, "I mean, I'd like to think I'd do a good job, but I honestly have no idea how I'd do."

"It's all hypothetical, anyways," Morgan figured, "And unlike physics, it's not like we can solve it with calculations."

Not to mention that unlike photons, people are not rational actors.

"Eh, I guess I'd abdicate, declare an actual Republic, and then fuck off to a bar at the end of the world."

"Yeah, seems like something you'd do. Guess you really do have a bit of George Washington in you."

"I really hope you mean yours, Morgan. Because mine left a lot to be desired by the time he died."

Fun Fact:

This is the same timeline from that aborted Rift arc where that woman showed up through a freak accident with a particle accelerator.

Also, worth pointing out that the US was building their own particle accelerator before hostilities started in Texas.

Chapter 94: Downfall
Accord News Tonight, Ufa, Ufa Governorate, Russian Empire, 2 July 1942

OZAKI: Welcome to Accord News Tonight. I'm Ozaki Hotsumi with a special report on Samara regarding the disappearance of thousands of Accord civilians over the last seven months. Tonight, I interviewed Colonel Dmitry Medvedev about the atrocities committed by the Ultranationalist Forces.

[Camera cuts to the interview]

OZAKI: With me is Spetsnaz Colonel Dmitry Medvedev. Thank you for your time, Colonel.

MEDVEDEV: Of course, ma'am.

OZAKI: Now, can you describe what you saw?

MEDVEDEV: We were performing reconnaissance at the outskirts of the city when one of my snipers saw what looked to be recently-dug earth. While we've seen lynchings and executions since Samara, what we found was... There's no other way to describe it than a mass grave.

OZAkI: I see. And has the military released any information regarding the alleged perpetrators?

MEDVEDEV: I'll let the Ministry of Defense do the speaking and refer you to their official statement.

[Camera returns to the live feed]

OZAKI: We now go to Defense Minister Georgy Zhukov, who released a statement today about the atrocities uncovered in Ufa.

[Camera cuts to the press conference]

ZHUKOV: What we have uncovered in Samara, Ufa, Kazan, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, and a dozen other cities over the last few months are nothing short of War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity. The Ultranationalist rebels have violated every rule of war and committed atrocities not only against innocent civilians, but their own people.

ZHUKOV: As we push forward towards their capital in Yekaterinburg, know that we will bring every man responsible for these atrocities to justice, first through their Unconditional Surrender, then through military tribunals for all who were responsible.

ZHUKOV: The Ultranationalists will be defeated, and they will see justice, from the lowest private to Marshal Sakharov himself.

[Camera returns to the live feed]

OZAKI: That was Defense Minister Georgy Zhukov. For all of our viewers with missing friends or loved ones, please call the number on the screen below to contact the Russian Government for any updates on their whereabouts.

Diary of Colonel Boris Alexeyevich Smyslovsky, 12 July 1942

We lost Omsk.

With this, our three holdouts that remain are Chelyabinsk, Tyumen, and Yekaterinburg.

Sakharov has called for a defense on all fronts and a plan to retreat to the mountains with the Black Hundreds volunteers, where we will wage a guerrilla war against the Loyalists for the foreseeable future. In doing so, he has claimed that we will, "Ensure the survival of our movement for another decade, if not more."

I, for one, do not have any interest in losing slowly over the course of a decade instead of a year.

And I know I am not alone in this.

Prologue from The Unlucky Survivors, by Suzuki Sumire, University of Tokyo Press (1950)

When somebody thinks about the atrocities of the Ultranationalists, there is a good chance that the first things that come to mind are mass graves and lynchings. But for me, my own memories are of starvation, of emaciated bodies barely kept alive.

I came to Russia in the Fall of 1941 as an exchange student in Yekaterinburg, part of a year abroad in the Accord Exchange Program. Why wouldn't I, when it was a free chance to explore the world.

There were dozens of us, from all over: Japan, Korea, China, Siam, Indochina, Indonesia, Burma, and even a few Australians. All of us were excited to start the semester, and I can still remember the night when it happened.

We were partying with some of the Russian students when the first soldiers showed up. Lan thought they were police at first, and we quickly started hiding all the alcohol in the closets and shutting the blinds.

They came quickly, and secured the school in less than an hour before having us marches out into the cold winter night.

I remember this one soldier, who couldn't be much older than me. He was shouting at us, demanding our papers and identification as they split us into two groups.

Russians were sent to the left, while foreign students were sent to the right.

Foreign men were sent to the left, while foreign women were sent to the right, into once of the classrooms.

I was halfway through the door when I heard the first gunshots. I turned around to see my classmates, my friends, dead on the ground.

We were drinking and partying just a few hours ago, and now the guys were dead, on the ground, with blood flowing out to the gashing hole in the back of their heads.

That was the beginning of six months of Hell for us.

Six months of starvation, slavery, and abuse at the hands of our captors.

Six months of near-starvation where I had to serve my own abusers if I wanted anything more than starvation.

Six months of wishing they'd taken me into that other line and shot me with the others so I didn't have to suffer anymore.

Six months that the world needs to know firsthand, so that maybwe, just maybe, others won't suffer as I and my friends did.

Ministry of Defense, Nanjing, National Capital Region, Republic of China, 20 July 1942

"GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!" former MIB Director Martin Li roared, before punching the table again, "Just... Fuck!"

"Christ, Marty," his old friend told him, trying to calm him down.

In all the years they'd been friends, practically brothers, Michael Chen had never seen his old friend this furious.

Angry? Sure.

Frustrated? Definitely.

But this enraged? Never in his life.

"You're read the reports, Mike. You know what they're doing over there."

"Yeah, I know-"

"They're fucking enslaving and raping people, Mike! Taking people and turning them into their slaves and comfort women, for fuck's sake!"

"It's the same shit our grandparents went through. It's the same thing that my Waipo went through."

That explains it, doesn't it? It's personal.

They don't know, but I do. Rachel does.

I mean, how could these other guys know?

How do you explain to them that your father was the bastard child of a comfort woman and a Japanese officer?

"I know," Chen said softly, before walking closer to his brother, "And that's why I need you at 100% right now. We have these bastards on the ropes, and MOJ's going to drag every raping, murdering, and enslaving son-of-a-bitch before a judge so we can kill them by the books."

"Yeah..." Marty growled, before softening his tone a few octaves. "We'd better."

"Hell, if it makes you feel better, you could probably join the damned firing squad for some of these fuckers. God knows people aren't going to be jumping at the call, y'know?"

"I might just take you up on that," Marty said with a grim smile, "You know, one of these days, you're going to have to tell me your secret."

"About what?"

"Staying calm. Didn't know you were better at this than me."

"Oh, I'm not," Mike sighed, "I'm just better at hiding it, apparently."

Diary of Colonel Boris Alexeyevich Smyslovsky, 12 August 1942

The explosives were easy enough to acquire.
Everything's being moved into the mountains, and it's not as if they're checking every manifest and counting every bullet.

Enough explosives to fit in a briefcase or three.

One for me. One for Bunyachenko. One for Kazembek.

And unlike the Germans, we'll make sure there's no table leg to keep Sakharov alive.

"Tsar Vladimir III Returns to Saint Petersburg," Saint Petersburg Journal, 1 September 1942

Tsar Vladimir III formally returned to the Winter Palace today after his recovery and release from government custody to a mixed reception.

Supporters lined the streets to welcome him back, while protesters showed up in equal (if not greater) numbers to condemn the Tsar as a collaborator with the Ultranationalists and an opportunist who only defected to be on the winning side.

Tsar Vladimir III had been on holiday in Sevastopol at the time of the coup, which was under Ultranationalist control. As the Ultranationalist forces were pushed back from the Crimean Peninsula, he was ferried across the Kerch bridge then relocated, first to Samara and then to Yekaterinburg.

During this time, he made several public appearances with the self-proclaimed Marshal Sakharov, as well as several statements calling on all patriotic Russians to support the Ultranationalist coup.

Supporters of the Monarch have argued that he did so under duress, as the Sakharov regime had custody of his family, while detractors describe him as a full-on collaborator and call upon him to abdicate.

Calls for abdication are split, with the moderates calling for his abdication, while the more-radical elements are calling for the dissolution of the monarchy as a whole and the formation of a Republic in the Chinese tradition.

So far, the other members of the House of Romanov have remained silent on the affair, though Grand Duke Alexei expressed his support of the Loyalists as Ambassador to the Republic of Britain, while Grand Duke Michael has called for compromise and a new constitution.

As the protests and confrontations between the two sides continues, we here at the Saint Petersburg Journal will continue to keep you updated as the situation develops.

Diary of Colonel Boris Alexeyevich Smyslovsky, 2 September 1942

The meeting is planned, and the men are in place.

We make our move on the eleventh, at the meeting.

I don't even know if the Loyalists would even accept our surrender, but I imagine a deal can be reached. Anything is preferable to a protracted insurgency, and they know it as well as I do.

I won't pretend that I am acting out of altruism, but I will take a chance at survival over no chance, no matter how slim our chances.

If nothing else, we can have the Black Hundreds take the brunt of the fall.

Outskirts of Omsk, Omsk Governorate, Loyalist-Controlled Territory, Russian Empire, 8 September 1942

"Another one, Misha," Vasily Kamarov sighed, before placing a small marker down. "How many does that make it, at this point?"

"Five hundred and twenty seven," Mikhail Davydov sighed, "And that's just this sector, Vasya."

"It's not like we can grab one of the Ultras and just ask them where the landmines are." And while they could, it would only be effective until that poor bastard blew his leg off. "So we're stuck with us and metal detectors."

"Almost makes me wish we could just use some robots and be done with it. And before you say it, yes, I know we can't use them outside an open field."

"Not if you don't want to blow up half the damned neigborhood, Misha. So it's you, me, and our metal detectors for now."

"...Fuck."

Rastorguyev–Kharitonov Palace, Yekaterinburg, Yekaterinburg Governorate, Ultranationalist-Controlled Territory, Russian Empire, 11 September 1942

"We are at a crossroads," Marshal Konstantin Sakharov said to the men assembled in the bunker. It wasn't as palatial as the palace itself, but at least they were safe from air raids. "As I speak, the lapdogs in Moscow and Saint Petersburg are pushing us on all fronts. Magnitogorsk has fallen, and the enemy marches on Chelyabinsk as we speak."

"However," the elder Sakharov continued, "I have no intention of losing and dying slowly. over the last month, I have tasked my son Igor with preparing caches and hideouts across the Urals. From there, we will continue to wage the war for Russia's independence."

"It make take us years, even decades," Sakharov admitted. The men nodded, with Smyslovsky among them. "I myself might not even live to see our final victory."

The men nodded again, before turning to his son Igor. For his part, the young commander was sitting off to the side, intently looking over the men.

It was no secret that the elder Sakharov's health was in decline, and this war had done him no favors.

It was also no secret that he had grown distrustful ever since Vlasov's defection with the Tsar.

Hence his son Igor being in charge of the partisan strategy. It was no secret that the younger Sakharov was ambitious and talented, but his father had plenty of men who were both, or at least one of those.

What he needed, however, were trustworthy people. And there wasn't anyone more-trustworthy than your own children.

"Colonel," an officer whispered, and Smyslovsky turned around, "Message for you from the front. Your eyes only."

"Of course."

Right on cue.

Something similar happened with Bunyachenko, who excused himself from the room.

Now, it was in fate's hands.

Fate's... and the time delay on the detonators.

And then it all went to Hell.

The explosion thundered through the complex, sending them running for cover. Even Smyslovsky, who'd planted the bomb himself, flinched for a second, only to continue walking.

"Get to the front."

"What?" asked the driver.

"I need to get back to my unit. Now."

Official Statement from the (Loyalist Russian) Government, 11 September 1942

Today, the Ministry of Defense was made aware of the explosion in Yekaterinburg, as well as the death of Konstantin Sakharov and the coma of Igor Sakharov. Though the elder Sakharov's military record during the Great War is admirable, the fact remains that he masterminded a coup against the Russian government and its people.

While we have received offers of a negotiated surrender, we maintain our stance that the Ultranationalist leadership must surrender to Loyalist forces and turn over any and all perpetrators of atrocities against civilians and Prisoners of War.

Should these conditions be met, we will accept the surrender of the Ultanationalists.

"Project Double Decker," Counterintelligence Service, 6 September 1942 (Declassified 1992)

Despite the calls for an unconditional surrender, the Ministry of Defense and the Grand Coalition have both indicated an openness to cooperating with the coup attempt against the Sakharovs (hereafter referred to as the "September Plot"). Reasons include (but are not limited to) testimony and cooperation from key witnesses against the perpetrators of atrocities, as well as an avoidance of a protracted insurgency in the Urals.

It is for these reasons that we have not interfered with the plot, and have taken steps to ensure that what is left of their intelligence service does not uncover the purpose. This was done through high-level assets and sympathizers, as well as a destruction of evidence by lower-level agents.

Said agents have been advised to lay low and await extraction in the upcoming months.

While no plan survives first contact with the enemy, it is likely that we can promise reduced sentences or preferable accomodations for the perpetrators, as well as any who promise to testify against the responsible.

Koltsovo Airport, Yekaterinburg, Yekaterinburg Governorate, Loyalist-Controlled Territory, Russian Empire, 20 September 1942

Airports were not built as hospitals, but most had at least some capacity to transport patients.

That went double in times of war.

Men and women with everything from gunshots to missing limbs would be transferred to gurneys and stretchers to the nearest doctor, surgeon, or medic for whatever treatment they could get their hands on.

This was no exception. Not when the patient was missing an arm and an eye from an explosion. Tubes jutted out from his remaining arm while a ventilator was shoved in his mouth.

A steady but faint tone continued to beep next to him, and the lines of the machine seemed consistent enough to bring him out here.

The doctor didn't really know how it happened, and he honestly didn't care when there were more-pressing matters.

What mattered more to him was the fact that the man's remaining arm was handcuffed to the gurney like a prisoner while the rest of him was strapped in tight.

"Is this him?" a voice asked in Chinese-accented Russian. "Is that Sakharov?"

"That's him, Misha," a native Russian speaker answered, "Igor Sakharov in the flesh... or what's left of it."

"Christ. How bad?"

"Blast put him into a coma, but he's stable."

"Enough to stand trial?"

"Eventually. That what this is about?"

"Yeah. War's over. Tribunals are being set up."

"Kid's going to have one Hell of a shock when he wakes up."

"Probably."

"You don't really care, do you, Misha?"

"Nope."

Last edited:
Will the original Tsar be found
So Nikolai II abdicated in favor of Grand Duke Kirill Romanov, who died around 1938. After him is his son, Vladimir, who rules as Vladimir III.

Nikolai II is dead of old age at this point, while his brother Michael has largely shied away from the public and his son Alexei is the Ambassador to Britain.

That last one is because the Brits seem to like him well enough, and it keeps him far away from Saint Petersburg.

Back