4-2 We all Scream into Oblivion
Issue #4-2: We all Scream into Oblivion

[O] Melissa and Tara
[O] Entropy
[O] Green Tower Groceries
[O] The Cobblepots Pot

Date: May 12th, 1999
Cash: $1,983,227.65

You sit down next to Melissa and Tara, smiling at both of them before taking a bite of your cornbread. "How do you think you two did on your tests today?"

Melissa threw he hands into the air. "Temporary placement tests are dumb! Why can't we just have regular classes, like a normal school that doesn't get damaged every other day by an attack or fight! I'm not just saying this because overall I scored below average!"

Tara nodded along with Melissa's rant while drink some of her soda, you think it's a cola of some kind from the color. "I did above average, passed out of the geography classes."

How well did you do on your tests? Int Roll DC 30, 60, 90
1st Roll 1D100= 35+50(Int)= 85
Tested out of all classes except for English!

Nodding as you dip your cornbread into your mashed potatoes and gravy. "Well, I passed everything, except for my English class. Why do I have to read trash novels and old books and then analyze them for their true meaning, and what they mean to me? I'll be trapped in school forever at this rate…" You sigh before taking a bite of cornbread and follow it up with a fork full of mashed potatoes. Melissa sticks her tongue out at you after hearing that you did so well on your tests. "Well at least that's the class we all have together, right Add? Mr. Mayo probably won't even notice if we just use it to socialize."

Tara actually smiled at that idea. "I was afraid for a second that I would have to spend all my time corralling Melissa." Melissa in response simply blew a raspberry at your friend. Before you could even think of a reply the entire world went red then becoming a shade of deep orange before lightening rapidly and turing a putrid shade of yellow.

That's when you notice the worse part of whatever this is, you can't move or vocalize anything! From the amount of eye movement from your friends, you can assume everyone is under the same effect. Is someone attacking the school, the block, or the city?! You feel your body trying to hyperventilate, but it just wouldn't happen.

Stay calm Adrian! Charisma Roll! DC 75
1st Roll 1D100= 89
Pass! You beat your fear back with courage!

Stay calm Melissa! Charisma Roll! DC 75

1st Roll 1D100= 6+30(Charisma!)= 36
Fail! Can attempt to use Int to reason her way out of fear next round! Currently under the effect of the Negative Emotion Engine!

Stay Calm Tara! Charisma Roll! DC 50

1st Roll 1D100= 62+20(Charisma!)= 82
Pass! She beat her fear back with courage!

Stay Calm Barbara! Charisma Roll! DC 50

1st Roll 1D100= 41+20(Charisma)= 61
Pass! She beat her fear back with courage!

Stay Calm Dick! Charisma Roll! DC 50

1st Roll 1D100= 2
Fail! Can attempt to use Int to reason his way out of fear next round! Currently under the effect of the Negative Emotion Engine!

Stay Calm the rest of the students! Charisma Roll! DC 85

1st Roll 1D100= 38
Fail! Can attempt to use Int to reason their way out of fear next round! Currently under the effect of the Negative Emotion Engine!

Stay Calm Teachers! Charisma Roll! DC 60

1st Roll 1D100= 84
Pass! They beat their fear back with courage!

Stay Calm general public of Gotham! Charisma Roll! DC 85

1st Roll 1D100= 44
Fail! Can attempt to use Int to reason their way out of fear next round! Currently under the effect of the Negative Emotion Engine!

Stay Calm Police/Emergency Services! Charisma Roll! DC 60

1st Roll 1D100= 58+5(We're the Police)= 63
Pass! They beat their fear back with courage!

No! You are Adrian Cobblepot, not some peasant, you are a Princess! So what if it's a Mob Princess it still counts! Pushing back against the fear with only your will power was mentally exhausting, but you did it because you won't be cowed into submission! Once your fear was dealt with everything went back to normal, at least it seemed that way at first but once you look around you see that Melissa and most of the other students look like they've been painted yellow. Several teachers are trying to move or wake up the students, and Barbara is trying to wake her own friend up. Is wake up even the right term to be used here? Eh, you'll think about it later because Melissa needs you right now. Thankfully Tara seems to have woken up at the same time you did. "Adrian, do you have any idea what just happened?"

Tara has her 'mask' voice on, leaving behind the timid girl she usually is. "No idea, an invisible wave of something passed us by I'm guessing and did whatever that was to us. We became free from whatever it is, I did it by conquering my fear? You?"

She nodded as she poked your mutual friend. "Same here, think we can wake her up?"

"No idea, maybe -" You are cut off as evey radio, phone, and even the PA system click on by themselves and a voice you know well sings.

"There's no earthly way of knowing...
Which direction we are going...
There's no knowing where we're rowing...
Or which way the river's flowing...
Is it raining, is it snowing, is a hurricane a-blowing?
Not a speck of light is showing so the danger must be growing!
All the fires of hell are blowing, is the grisly reaper mowing?
YES! the danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing,
ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING! OOOOAAAAAHHHHHHH!

There's no earthly way of knowing...
Which direction we are going...
There's no knowing where we're rowing...
Or which way the river's flowing...
Is it raining, is it snowing, is a hurricane a-blowing?"

There's a short pause before Doctor Scarecrow speaks again. "Hello Gotham, it's your psychologist, Scarecrow, or if you want to be polite Doctor Scarecrow. You see I was originally just going to release the Negative Emotion Engine on Gotham, but the radio chat the clown gave made me reconsider my game plan. As your psychologist, I can't simply give you all treatment without telling you what it is. If I did that what kind of Doctor would I be? So for your treatment we'll be doing some immersion therapy, soak you in your deepest fears. If you break free of your fears well... We can always pick up where we left off next session, but if you soak too long you might get hurt." As if on queue a small cut formed on Melissa's arm, a thin stream of blood slowly leaking out.

"Goodbye for now Gotham, and have a good day." Every audio device shut it's off at once.

Use your smarts Melissa! Int Roll! DC 120
1st Roll 1D100= 70+50(Your Int)+10(Tara's Int)= 130
Melissa reasons her way out of fear!

Use your smarts Dick! Int Roll! DC 95

1st Roll 1D100= 66+30(Barbara's Int)+20(Dick's Int)= 116
Dick reasons his way out of fear!

Use your smarts students! Int Roll! DC 45, 60, 75, 90

1st Roll 1D100= 55+15(Some of use are smart!) +4(Teachers Helping)= 74
Half the students are woken up, while the other half starts getting injured. Cuts and bruises appearing all over their bodies.

Use your smarts general public of Gotham! Int Roll! DC 45, 60, 75, 90

1st Roll 1D100= 34+25(Some of use are smart! We're Adults and Stuff!) +8(Emergency Services are helping!)= 67
Half of the general pop of Gotham wake up, while the other half starts getting injured. Cuts and bruises appearing all over their bodies.

Higher rolls means more members arrive, lower rolls mean there are disasters that they are taking care of.
1st Roll 1D100= 34
Only three members arrive!

Who?
1D8= 8
Shazam is here to fight fear!

1D8= 7
Martian Manhunter has no fear, other than fire, but those are biological instincts so they don't count!

Batman auto-locked in because Gotham is his city.

You put your hand on Melissa's shoulder, while Tara hugs her from behind. "It's alright Melissa, we're right here. No living fear can hurt you, unless you let it. We are humans, we've evolved reasons, meaning we can help you get through this."

Tara just squeezes your mutual friend in her hug tightly, and soon enough Melissa's yellow is fading. Once she's back to normal her voice is a bit weak, and she's trying not to cry. "Thanks guys…"

What do you do now?

[] Hunt Scarecrow.
You could ask Tara's teacher, Deathstroke, to help you find the man behind all of this.There is a chance that you'll run into the Justice League, you may have to fight them if you want to get Scarecrow yourself.

[] Help take care of the other students.
You can get your revenge at a later date, right now you need to help your fellow students. Besides, someone might notice you, Tara, and Melissa missing.

AN: So I hope you enjoyed this! Your actions have consequences after all, sure you got cash but you also got a crazy doctor trying his best to help the city.

Last edited:
[X] Help take care of the other students.
You can get your revenge at a later date, right now you need to help your fellow students. Besides, someone might notice you, Tara, and Melissa missing.

Shazam is here, if he can't kick Scarecrow butt then we ain't got a chance in hell.

Heh. A Scarecrow with a Citywide range. Still worth it for the investment I believe.

I personally think we should put off confronting the Justice League and other such heroes as long as we can. That way we can establish ourselves as anti-heroes, confusing the issue enough to make us a lower priority for Batman and the other major League Members. I'm mostly advocating stealing from other crooks and sticking to plausible deniability for everything else, or else patsies and / or agents.

Seems we just have to help them long enough for them to break out of the effect, at which point we can be free to do other things. Also, we have genius level intellect, so we'd be ideal for helping them and might get inspiration from the work.

Also, it's a school full of children. So we're kind of in the right place at the right time to help civilians while the heroes do their work. I imagine the parents will be happy to know their children were cared for once the disaster passes.

Let's get some good publicity helping our fellow students.

Given that we're a mob princess, what do you think about giving the Scarecrow some cement shoes and a tour of the bay?

EDIT: Though he does have good taste in references...

Last edited:

we are not a hero in our costume but out of it we are a POWERFUL PERFECT PRINCESS who helps her city!

[X] Hunt Scarecrow

Getting combat experience can only be a good thing. Besides, we can likely do more good out there than we can here.

Back