A Green Sun Illuminates the Void (ZnT/Exalted)

Screwball said:
No. In this case, the voice in her head telling her to conquer the world is actually real. :p
On the plus side, it will settle for her conquering the nearest plate of grapes, or, if there are no grapes, it will settle for apples, pears, or indeed any kind of sweet fruit. Or, failing that, any kind of sweet thing. Or meaty thing.

But grapes are Marisalon's favourite. :D

Marisalon doesn't actually have the normal Virtues for a neomah. She's Conviction 5, Valour 4, Temperance 2, and Compassion 3; she's lost a point of Temperance, but gained Valour. It just happens to manifest in the form of what-would-be-suicidal-lippyness-if-it-was-still-a-first-circle-demon-rather-than-part-of-the-Exalt-she's-talking-to-like-that.

Of course, before she got grabbed by Cecelyne and made into a Coadjustor, Marisalon did manage survive over 300 years as a First Circle Demon in Malfeas, and to become a citizen rather than just a serf. She was certainly a heroic demon, with single-minded drive to get as much personal comfort as possible and not die. Of course, when your Dragonblooded mistress makes you get her a demon-blood by breeding with slaves, that opens certain... options for later advancement. Secretly teach your son how to summon you with the Art of Demon Summoning, and that allows you to get out yourself. And then maybe set up a Cult, and use them to get trade-goods which you can then sell in the bazaars of Malfeas for profit, and then give some of your female worshippers their own Demon-blooded children which they raise in the cult and then...

... the Wyld Hunt comes along and punches people in the face, because they're consorting and "consorting" with demons.

Terrestrial Exalted: The Aristocracy Stomping On the Faces of Self-Made Neomah Who Are Trying To Pull Themselves Up By Their Bootstraps.

Robotninja said:
I would find it ironic as hell if Cromwell was far nicer to mortals than the existing royalty structure.
Actually, historically, it's usually the case that conquerors and tyrants were nicer to the common folk, since they needed some support from the unwashed masses as a counterweight to the inevitable backstabbing and squabbling of the nobles.

Satori said:
Actually, historically, it's usually the case that conquerors and tyrants were nicer to the common folk, since they needed some support from the unwashed masses as a counterweight to the inevitable backstabbing and squabbling of the nobles.
And then generally turned around and were even worse to the peasants.

Violent uprising has resulted in a more enlightened government very, very rarely.

---------------

Epsilon

Aaron Peori said:
And then generally turned around and were even worse to the peasants.

Violent uprising has resulted in a more enlightened government very, very rarely.

---------------

Epsilon
It was semi-common for uprisings and the like to result in at least symbolic concessions, though. The guys on top weren't idiots; they were perfectly well aware that their power rested on the backs of the peasantry, and if there was enough unrest and ill feeling to provoke an uprising, then they had to do something, and that something wasn't always 'send in the army'.

The One Char said:
Remember Louise's universe has more in common with our universe than Creation.
This is assuming that Louise's universe is not altered in this instance to be more like Creation. After all, it's entirely possible that Louise's world in this instance is flat, and it's days 25 hours long.

The One Char said:
This world has no elemental poles, doesn't even have the same elements, and has gunpowder.
In order: We have neither confirmation nor denial of the existence of Elemental Poles, the Elements are indeed different, and have neither confirmation nor denial of the existence of gunpowder.

The existence of alternate Elements is nothing terribly surprising. Autochthonia has Elements that are far more divergent from Creation's. The notable thing about the Elements is actually how impressively closely they map to those of Creation.

Delusionist said:
In order: We have neither confirmation nor denial of the existence of Elemental Poles, the Elements are indeed different, and have neither confirmation nor denial of the existence of gunpowder.

The existence of alternate Elements is nothing terribly surprising. Autochthonia has Elements that are far more divergent from Creation's.
For the parts of this I am willing to comment on at the moment;

1. Yes. The dominant local elements are Fire, Water, Earth and Wind. This is to compare to the Creation Elements of (Fire, Water, Earth, Air and Wood), and the Autocthonic Elements of (Metal, Crystal, Lightning, Oil, Steam and Smoke). Oh, and the Malfean Element of Vitriol, which is now in the setting, as Louise is there, and she's elementally aspected towards it.

2. Yes, gunpowder exists in Halkeginia (fuck, I hate that word. It's like it's made to be hard to spell). The non-magical local technology level of human civilisation is, at least when I'm writing it, around the 1500-1600s, with Germania and Albion, at least, at the Thirty Years War / English Civil War level. Hence, militarily muskets are superseding pike, although formations are still mixed to stop cavalry charges. Tristain and Gallia are more "primitive", but that's actually due to their higher number of mages. And, of course, the real world (or, indeed, Creation) didn't have air power in the form of both skyships and dragons/griffins in the same way, but their role is overstated in popular tales, because they have to keep higher than they used to. One of the tactics Germania devised, which has spread wider, is dedicated "anti-air" light cannons loaded with chain-and-ball shot and grapeshot, which are basically flak against fliers.

You know Matter, by Ian M Banks? For the Germanians, they'll probably be were the Sarl were in maybe 100 years. The major reform they'll need is for a centralised, professional army to be formed, but any attempts by the Emperor to do that will be fought by the prince-electors as weakening their power and trying to centralise authority. Really, what they "need" for that to happen is either a strong centralising Emperor, a rebellion from some of the prince-electors which can be put down and used to curtail their rights, or a military fiasco where the old model, where the prince-electors raise their own forces and command them under the Emperor, is shown not to work.

Ah, and Romalia is nothing special, but the Church... well, that has its own forces.

... um, but yes. Gunpowder exists. And is the primary non-magical ranged weapon.

EarthScorpion said:
1. Yes. The dominant local elements are Fire, Water, Earth and Wind. This is to compare to the Creation Elements of (Fire, Water, Earth, Air and Wood), and the Autocthonic Elements of (Metal, Crystal, Lightning, Oil, Steam and Smoke). Oh, and the Malfean Element of Vitriol, which is now in the setting, as Louise is there, and she's elementally aspected towards it.
Interesting - so Void isn't an element.

I was rather hoping that it was, and the Primordial (or whatever) that made the place had made the absence of other things metaphysically concrete, in some paradoxical way.

Alratan said:
Interesting - so Void isn't an element.

I was rather hoping that it was, and the Primordial (or whatever) that made the place had made the absence of other things metaphysically concrete, in some paradoxical way.
He said 'dominant', not 'only'.

Void is an element in the same way that "Malfeas" or "Adorjan" is an Element (Or, for that matter, "Sun" and "Moon)--at least that's my guess based on EarthScorpion's prologue blurb. It's not one of the building blocks of the World, but it Is a principle of enough gravity to permeate the world in certain ways.

Alectai said:
Void is an element in the same way that "Malfeas" or "Adorjan" is an Element (Or, for that matter, "Sun" and "Moon)--at least that's my guess based on EarthScorpion's prologue blurb. It's not one of the building blocks of the World, but it Is a principle of enough gravity to permeate the world in certain ways.
Sort of irrelevantly, one of Adorjan's plans, in the North section of Return of the Scarlet Empress, was to merge one of her Third Circles with the back-up Pole of Air, thus making an Elemental Pole of Adorjan. Or maybe Murder. Or Yandere.

Man, the other Yozi are just more interesting than the Ebon Dragon. He's the only one who's Deathlord-level boring.

Now, question. I've decided what Louise's anima banner is. But I wander what you'd guess it looks like? :D

An indistinct four-armed figure formed of swirling sand and green flame.

Also: Why settle for a Warstrider when Hellstriders could exist?

-------------
Epsilon

Of course, that raises a problem. There hasn't been any sign that Halkblahblahfuckinghardtospell has Demenses or Manses. And if that's true, anything which needs a heartstone is so much dead weight.

Colbert: "Miss Louise! We've channelled all the power in Tristain to help you! Make this shot count!"

Louise: "... it's not doing anything."

Colbert: "Well, yes. As it turns out, magic doesn't flow like that. But it was a sound idea, and I now think I could set something up which would allow magical lightning in streets across the nation, which would then allow me to..."

*Louise jumps out of the cockpit*

Louise: "Fuck it. Infernal Monster Style time."

I guess that depends on whether Essence Capacitors are canon in your version of Exalted. They replace a Hearthstone of the same rating but only work for eight hours.

------------

Epsilon

Aaron Peori said:
I guess that depends on whether Essence Capacitors are canon in your version of Exalted. They replace a Hearthstone of the same rating but only work for eight hours.
Yeah, let me rephrase. It's highly probable there's a way to do it [1]. But it's not going to have the easy plug and play ubiquity of a heartstone.

[1] Possibly using windstones as a source of Wind-Essence, or by being the Myozunitonirun, or, for weapons, the Gandalfyr.

Why not just find places of elemental power (like, say, the home of an ancient water spirit) and use those as Essence spigots instead?

Back