Unfamiliar Ceilings: NGE Fanart Thread

When coming up with NGE fanart, do you... ?

• Total voters
Artist Luqo-3 is making a splash on the Eva subreddit with a redraw of Misato's photograph from the opening angel fight. The community rates it NSFW, so I'll post the link to Luqo's Reddit profile: Luqo (u/sirluqo) - Reddit

Additionally, Luqo-3 has done some fanart for HoloLive's Mori Calliope, who I consider to be an Asuka analog in style and overall fandom impact.

ref1, line / Twitter

ref2, finished / same
cx7xfxNl.jpg (640×465)

(Just kidding)

Great work Luqo! Please visit their Twitter folks, as often that is where you can find out more about the artist's interests and whether commissions are available.

Working on another silly "previously" omake for MH's Fine Print, AKA:
forums.sufficientvelocity.com

[Evangelion] Read the Fine Print

Some of you Evangelion thread regulars may have noticed that my signature sprouted the line...

It appears the earlier one turned heads, much to my surprise and gratitude.

BTW, I'm particularly chatty on that fic thread, so if someone could please visit the Fine Print fanfic thread proper,
leave some love for the author, so that when I finish this second piece it doesn't land as a double-post. Thanks! :D

Last edited:
I might have to ask Rommel about if I can get A&T in for fanfic along with Genocide.
Ye, the first volume consists of a Manga, a Your Name doujinshi, and the rewritten first chapter of Genocide. My guess is they will continue to include one off material for future publications. So yeah, good luck with that Stryp it sounds like they're a good crew. Readership is rooting for you.

edit: Maybe follow up with the group via Reddit or their Twitter. There's a Discord server for them too. The Eva subreddit Discord already has them partnered. :D

Contact – STUDIO SYNKAI (studio-synkai.com)

Last edited:
A Quick Glimpse of the excitement at r/asushin
Well the Internet community for NGE content continues to grow and with the systems in place to not only browse but decipher fanart from a variety of outlets, especially languages, I'm compelled to give mention to these fine artists' works as seen on r/asushin though do want to preface the following hyperlinks with one disclaimer: the artwork is not necessarily related to the fics.

1. Amelie Sabo's artwork where A is career-minded and S is the new hire helping her.*

Found here Pic for the Fic: Likewise
Artist profile (@ameliesabo) / Twitter

Sabo-san is working on the finishing touches of a remarkable comic segment called 'Marriage of the Ichinose Family'. I wonder if that relates to the Ichinose clan from Shonen mag's Kanojo Okarishimasu which became a TMS anime subbed by Crunchyroll.**

Just so you know, TMS has been around since Japan 'reopened' after WW2, and one of their first big gigs was making a sequel spinoff to Miyazaki's pivotal Lupin the Third film. Page one readers, Miyazaki and Evangelion's Anno basically bounce ideas off each other all the time. But anyway...

2. Happy Birthday Shinji!

Found here Pic for the Fic: The Perfect Birthday
Artist profile (@IX_EVA_) / Twitter

Like Anne-Marie's song goes, Shinji is "another year older..."

3. Happiness by Sabo-p / April 2011

Found here Pic for Fic: When Walks the Tongue
Artist profile Sabo-P / DeviantArt

If NGE takes the metaphor of Pandora's Chest of Drawers every episode, what oddities are unleashed when any of the pilots canonically or otherwise decide to get preggers?

4. Baka, nobody in the universe has two Asukas clutched to their arms!

Found here Pic for the Fic: To My Other Self
Artist profile Optimistic Princess / Tumblr

If you browse to the reddit post about "To My Other Self", both the OP and the fic blurb itself describe the work as right up Adam Kadmon's alley. Author Daltarit24x7 had just recently published this one, I hope it does well.

That's all for now!

-----
*Now if only Anno had taken a break from all those Godzilla sequels to turn this idea into a direct competitor for 'Your Name' around the same time!
**On another side note, see how the localization talent at Crunchy makes logos and title cards for dubbed shows:

Last edited:
Imagining if Fuyutsuki rolled in during one of the more unsettling Angel fights, and murmured to Gendo rather butlerly:

"Your backup Rei is printing, sir."
"Hmm. That explains why the Three Magi are overclocking."

Making some practice sketches as I catch up reading Jackie's NGE fics.

So here are a couple of angles

Based on a scene in Chapter 28 of:

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

The Curious Case of Rei Ikari

Uh Stuff I guess, This description thing didn't exist before. Shenanigans happen.

This fic sits somewhere between the Rebuild timeline, and is getting regular updates. Highly recommend!

Here is a heartwarming pic featured a while back on Reddit of Misato surprising her apartment mates with a big hug!

Quality artwork by a delisted Twitter account. The above image links to the Reddit post on r/wholesomevangelion

Previously known as: You Should (Not) Sign Weird Contracts

Working on a third omake / "extra" art upload for MH's epic NGE thread previously-known-as Weird Contracts, in part to recognize all those steady AO3-bound chapter updates (where are we at folks, Chapter 19? Things about to get good for the readers there).

Here is a glimpse, happy to answer questions. Oh and please be sure to visit the ongoing AO3 updates here to leave a bookmark, comments, what have you. Namaste!

Well, took some time to however nervously kick off a dialogue with Funimation corporate to get some answers about Studio Khara's rules for fan works as it may pertain to an English language platform such as SV. It seems there is no cut-dry direction for distributing fan-made edits of Khara content, that instead any screengrab or video snippet is limited to personal offline end use (assuming one has bought the physical media in question and covers any other machine costs).

Therefore, I need to brush up on my Japanese, and get in touch with Khara directly. Should be by early August I'll have something more specific for you all.

o_O

How to describe what the delta-t since last threadmark invokes within me. So, I'll throw in a metaphor: somewhere in the back of a fridge, an ice cream cake is somehow stuck right next to the return air exchange. It has become a freezer-burn brick. The pair of wax candles that shipped with it cracked and expanded. In short, ain't throwing that in the microwave.

So yeah, where was I since last update?

Ah... I know exactly what this thread needs.

Item 1 - Another NGE fanart from someone featured last October:

The Hand by Mercolini

Item 2 - Request for fellow NGE fan artists to use this thread space to self-advertise with some linked sample works. *If you are not already registered with the forums, it is well worth it. :)

It's odd to think that an update on r/asushin was posted about a month after my last update here (Oct 2021), yet I'm only now discovering it:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/asushin/comments/r4ducw/_/

edit: Oh good, the MEDIA insert command works just fine. Anyway, feel free to join the discussion at the subreddit and you can find out more about the author in particular via yubi kamii's Twitter if you're so inclined. Happy belated New Year's!

Last edited:
Thanks to a helpful suggestion to try the Wayback feature for sites (archive.org), I stumbled upon an Autodesk demo video 'behind the scenes' done by none other than Evangelion's Studio Khara in 2011. At the time a popular virtual idol group was getting a music video from Anno's team. Here is one image the archive apparently was able to save from the post.

I'm reminded strongly of that other CGI anime from around the same time, Arpeggio of Blue Steel.

It stands to reason they would work on something like this, as that same year the Idolmaster anime debuted from A-1 Pictures.

link: BEHIND THE SCENE メーウ『pair* Factory MIX』PVメイキング(前編)〜 Autodesk 3ds Max Eentertainment Creation Suite 導入事例 〜

Last edited:
Have started a fresh thread based on NGE shenanigans over in User Fiction. I am debating whether to make it a Worldbuilding tag with plenty of art. :)

Last edited:
New Content Inbound
If fanfic is acceptable, then it seems to me that fan art and fan animation for purposes of non-commercially illustrating non-commercial fanfic should be acceptable.
I am inclined to agree.
Here is the checklist off the top of my head:
  • Closely watching Anno's own noteworthy stylistic precision in the show.
  • Contextualizing relevant theories about NGE and other sci-fi of that period.
  • Choosing to rely just as heavily on plot instruments of recursion and realism.
  • Not trying to show off.
  • CURIOUS
  • CASE of
  • REI
  • IKARI!

Please stay tuned.

Last edited:
More Custom Fanart!
Hello again! I wanted to pop back on to celebrate a bit of a personal milestone. A couple of renderings caught the eye of Windup Heart thread originator / storyteller extraordinaire @Telegraph Nine. Enough to get clearance to have them featured as 'Media' threadmarks for the fic.

The two image uploads in question can be seen here, and just to clarify the first image titled "The Not-Shinjis" features on the right Rebuild Yui Ikari's biological daughter Rei Ikari of CCoRI fame while on the left is Yuki Amagiri so named during one scene in Windup Heart - Chapter 3:

Ritsuko realized Gendo didn't have an answer ready. She coughed. "I suppose 'Shinjiko' would be a bit too on-the-nose…"
"It would." He paused, thinking. "Your name will be… Yuki. Yuki Amagiri."
"I understand."
The commander nodded. "Begin decantation."
😲

Inset image from Discord May 2017, Zerochan URL, artist unknown?

The second image meanwhile, titled "Operation Juice Box", was me tasking Blender with recreating a scene in Windup Heart - Chapter 7.

I want to share the incremental design choices that went into the golden hour look of this more recent fanart submission.

1) Poses and applying mesh modifiers. Lighting without textures.2) Rough textures receiving shadows. Generic third toon untouched.

3) Shader pass for skin tones with better contrast. Meshes finalized.4) Physics pass: hair added in using select "scalp" geometry.

Anyway folks, please take time to check out Windup Heart. It's not merely one of those fics that tosses you headfirst into the AU departure mode, rather a very original and absolutely unsettling recast, if other AU style fics are any metric. Here the protagonist (still Unit-01's pilot at least to my knowledge) undergoes a complete Role Swap from the TV arc counterpart. Assumes continuity up until Episode 10: Magumadaibā's canonical aftermath.

Last edited:
Didn't notice it was already March 33rd here. My photo album pinged with a reminder*, interrupting my sleep deprived mutterings about Rent-A-Girlfriend's protagonist names, a series I have plugged in this thread before. To recap, I had misremembered the last name of the lead girl as Chizuhara and spent way too much time trawling trivial head canon to correct this, whereupon I then had to squash the idea of just calling the dude Fuckface. Cortisol is a hell of a drug.

*Ze reminder

I am thinking of calling Images 2 and 3 part of the Concrete Ikari series.

Last edited:
Well I wasn't joking when I told some colleagues my art resides smack dab between beginner's Etch-a-Sketch and acceptable. Relying on some Evangelion manga art as reference, from Stage 28 {pp. 11 & 12 as two standard pages, 13-14 one double page} here are my tracing attempts using digital ink (L) compared to using the same tools to outline and fill in a Blender dummy (R).

... I guess I know which one I'm using more often.

Speaking again of "one year ago", or coming up on 13 months since 8th March 2021 which saw the debut of the award-winning fourth installment in the Rebuild of Evangelion compendium.

Leading into that same time for 2022, Studio Khara (Kabushikigaisha Karā) has made some job postings. That is, they "have started recruiting recruiting staff on the recruitment page."

Should some of you have proficiency in CAD, VR use or software engineering in general, my hope is you consider applying for work with the studio (although I think their counterparts at Netflix would have more localized placement).

Till next time!

Back