Unfamiliar Ceilings: NGE Fanart Thread

When coming up with NGE fanart, do you... ?

• Total voters
@Strypgia one last CGI-powered image before I focus on the intended look. This is featuring Ch 1 around linebreak / paragraph 18. Asuka reaching too high up, Shinji reaching too low. Spoilered just in case!

edit:

And following up with the first glimpse of animation-grade Asuka!

Sketch, colored

edit 2:

Blender, stylized rendertest (click for high res)

The goal is to use CGI renders to 'batch process' or otherwise fiilter out what artists usually consider in a given workflow. This includes sizing character models to fit a scene, camera depth of field, lighting, shadows, you name it!

Last edited:
Well, I have settled at last upon a cutesy CGI look for the scene protags! This lets me machine out more of the animated scene to keep things in 1:1 (24 Hz) speeds.

With select render filters and the push of a button:

Asuka

and with Shinji

Last edited:
Last 'render tests' of tentative duo! Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Next update before the month is out!

Asuka Render test 63 seconds
Plus One 72 seconds click for High Resolution

Last edited:
Glad to see the forums are back after the hardware-related fiasco.

During the downtime I had some extra machine hours to spend. Voila:

(Click for highres)

edit:
And an update!

Appreciate folks stopping by, and the reactions from fellow NGE fans. Will check back if you have questions, as I continue to flesh out the look and feel. Pretty fun stuff!

Last edited:

Media featured after the spoiler break!

When last I reached out to Weird Contracts author and fanart thread collaborator @MisterHalt about inserting artwork for the WC fanfic's take on NGE ep. 11, I discovered Studio Ghibli's role in helping the NGE tv show reach its first 'cour' of thirteen episodes. The video embedded in that post showcases the distinct Ghibli look for not only the finished episode, but the promotional matarael material that played after the credits an episode prior.

Nowadays, it just so happens the current studio working on Evangelion theatrical editions, Studio Khara, is giving back quite handedly as they pack together steady production involvement across anime shows, films and other venues such as Gundam Thunderbolt, Weathering With You, When Marnie Was There, RE: Creators, JoJo, Azur Lane and the Code Geass multi-arc re-release.

Where this online forum sees absolutely hardcore assistance that gives and multiplies--among sister threads and not necessarily production companies--is everyone's favorite Sector 7 Seventh Heaven bar equivalent if I can call it that, Advice & Trust.

Not to ramble, but when I first landed on SV through another Redditor's spur of the moment mention of the A&T fanfic in the wayback start of r/wholesomevangelion, where said individual continues to give it credit (hehe, thanks marq) I was hooked. I sped through everything to around Thanksgiving holiday 2014, so a good month and a half of author updates and user comments.

Continuing the read through, I caved and registered to join the thread discussion - only to be greeted by some of the thread's earliest followers. Haha!

Preface tldr; it makes me super glad I joined this fanfic and surrounding community when I did.

So, I hope the spoiler blurb preceding helps establish the tone and direction of this and future updates. That out of the way, back to the #Media point of this update!

Shinji audibly gulped as they both processed the implications in that. Shinji took Rei's skirt and sidestepped along towards the hot-air dryers, carefully keeping his back to Rei and his head down.

Readers of Strypgia's A&T fanfic are familiar with this update from the initial chapter updates around autumn 2014. I wanted to see how other readers imagined this part of the fanfic's retelling. No, not Rei without a skirt -- those who have seen the tv show and Rebuild films know how she, Asuka and Misato look in swim attire and/or skimpy dress so best to leave that where it is -- instead the purpose of this exercise, much like Strypgia's handling of Shinji's reaction, is to politely look anywhere but Rei's legs when building a consensus on the look and vibe of the fanfic should one exist. So to start, at the bigger context, maybe the surrounding scenery (endgame GNR notwithstanding)?

Or perhaps at the other characters present. Really, not to ramble..*

So, before I dip into a 500 word preface, here for all to see are the finalized, ready for action renders counting as some of the first fanart for A&T. Please enjoy.

A is for Asuka, ace pilot and ex-bully, but also for Advice
Full resolution available with mouseclick

B is for
T is for three teensy weensy EVA pilots, as well as for
Trust
Full res, click away!

-------------
Footnotes!
*FWIW, I have newly resumed a large amount of coffee and chocolates consumption after the site crashed XD

Last edited:
I just noticed a thing.

the notional tatami layout in the second bedroom has a quadripoint in it.

that's something people try to avoid...

Figuring out the lighting needs for Misato's apartment interior, especially if Ch 1 picks up immediately into episode 15 territory (i.e. dining area). Meanwhile, have settled on a 'totally thinks she's fierce, capable' look for the slightly taller of the Children, Asuka.

Then I realized while toggling the pose mode, perhaps she is realizing a growth spurt, much to Shinji's and her own surprise! Blender says the character without shoes is 6'1", placing her about 7 and a half centimeters taller than her anime predecessor. Thus, she is gradually switching into loaner clothing from Misato-san.

One other update, as I realized pobrecito Shinji resembled Gendo in the earlier styling, and not at all like a "boyish young girl" as the show creators once put it. Voila!

Last edited:
You may notice from the above images that among Misato's apartment interior accoutrements is Pen Pen's manpenguincave. Unless I'm mistaken, little reference material exists surrounding that cryogenic crawlspace so I apologize for the odd appearance. But if it features heavily in the kissing scene for episode 15, surely A&T visualization calls for it.

But before I tinker with Pen Pen's unit ( word choice :o ) there is adding some flooring:
Click for full size version!

Two things struck me about Misato's place. First, a wood or plastic strip (no idea what construction folks call it) that hugs the base of the interior walls, shown as the highlighted orange glowing gap near Pen Pen's unit in above pic. Second, do we ever see the dining table cleared of clutter in the show?

Oh well, this time baby I'll be.... *loads IMG/SXHjp5x.jpg*

Super-polished!
Le clique
But in building an A&T Chapter 1 vidreel, right off the bat there's more to the flooring, the table and chair varnish, or whatever the Seven SEELE hellspawn monoliths led to that preposterous ponytail! More textures, more episode watching, the works!
Cue Wandavision / Truman show vibes!

Thaaaankfully Misato's bedroom is not appearing in the opening span of Chapter 1 (sorry prologue), and the kissing scene never flits toward the kitchen (doubly so with A&T, as the swooning stumble specifically goes near the tv setup and beanbags).

Which means...
Which means..?

The living room flooring is like a giant satin sheets bed, the beanbags for pillowtalk. (But flip one over, and I'm tempted to throw in his and Penny's initials in sharpie... I mean, Pen Pen would probably say it's cool, Asuka can borrow one for the duration of the slumber party -- oh wait she lives there -- then instead if she doesn't drool all over it?)

Ahem.

Blender fortunately is not at all outdone by Misato-apartment theme aesthetic hurdles. What a handful of nodes can press together and in minutes reflective, veneer thin, scuffed and stepped all over floor tiles!

Makeout spot!

Let the games begin!

Unless I'm mistaken, little reference material exists surrounding that cryogenic crawlspace so I apologize for the odd appearance.
I'll try to find a shot, but IIRC, the best look into it shows a reclining chair/lounger thing, a lamp and a TV on a small shelf, and (oddest of all) a penguin pin-up poster. Ok, the poster might be manga-only.
Here we go!

First, a wood or plastic strip (no idea what construction folks call it) that hugs the base of the interior walls,
'Baseboard' is what you're looking for, I think. AKA skirting board, skirting, mopboard, floor molding, or base molding. Wainscoting is similar, but goes to about waist height. (I used to work in a hardware store.)

Neato! So A&SIP even features music to listen along during the read...
Article:
Spotify playlist by the fanfic author of select mid-2000s artists

Maybe these tunes solidify those heartwarming first moments (A&SIP's Asuka right after Mana's cameo, ' So, did you hold her hand, too?? ') and help address the rush of blood to their cheeks while their bickering gets called out in class lingering Gaghiel-supplied g-force nausea affecting bloodflow the week following.

Suffice to argue that Rainbow's task force would among at least one of the ship crews or field trip attendees introduce a vintage Sony DAT machine in Unit-02 proximity during Gaghiels playful glomp. I would speculate that its iconic look and portability had caught Soryu's eye, or the A10 otherwise supplied magnetic to analog previews, just in case.

In any case, as one who is knee deep in Asushin prepping for a slew of APICS exams, perhaps a quick read of A&SIP's 81,000 words (recently updated!) can help soften this study of shippi-

Mana get away from that Third immediately! Those are not your earbuds!!

Article:
(R) Reproduction is prohibited. Do not use my artwork.

Really glad to see more artists trying to stop the misuse of their work, without otherwise imposing a paywall. I want to directly link to some of their recent Ikari-Nagisa fanart (amazing use of SAI software if that), but one can find that quickly enough by following the above Twitter URL and (if desktop web browser) clicking the thumbnails to upper-right.

Twitter / Pixiv user @kkr_ev probably visits these forums, but before waiting for said person to register here should I poke them to commission a thread specific piece?

@blindinkpoet how goes the A&SIP readthrough?

Back