Unfamiliar Ceilings: NGE Fanart Thread

When coming up with NGE fanart, do you... ?

• Total voters
Unfamiliar Ceilings: NGE Fanart Thread
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Neon Genesis Evangelion continues to take SV User Fiction by storm. And with it comes copious third party submissions of quality fanart. Omedetou.
Last edited:
Last summer, Netflix started airing something that has completely wowed the anime art community. By using a quality scan of an animated production for its stream format, a certain mega studio's first big hit went from bargain bin aftermarket (Cable TV, DVD) to millions and millions of Netflix users appraising it in HD.

The anime's cult following has felt their pristine world shaken by Second Impact. In many bedrooms, vintage figurines are steadily loosening a layer of dust as more hardcore fans bust out the webcams to share in the thunderous outpouring.

The fuss over this series has only continued to build.

In the mere months since Neon Genesis Evangelion debuted afresh on Netflix, some of the sites like FFnet, SB and SV forums (that had archives of fan fiction spanning the pre-release) now suddenly have millions of added impressions and more registered accounts than a well-recognized EVA subreddit. The show Evangelion has had its second renaissance, bringing a fixated crowd out of the woodwork and onto these forums. Thanks largely to the SV forum's user-friendly comment and reaction tools, Evangelion now has a well-versed following that is actively bringing fresh acclaim to threads that otherwise predated the buzz surrounding the Netflix re-launch. I am pleased to be caught up in the hype.

But when it comes to a show like NGE, hype expressed through a conventional worded approach is missing quite a bit. Part one of this thread tackles some of the issues SV users face when writing fan fiction about Evangelion, such as the degree of difficulty transforming elements presented through visual means such as television and manga into text-only blurbs. The argument carried forward will address how User Fiction can and should tag team with Art & Music to bring fan impressions back on track, not only to better proofread written edits but to engage readers with something truer to the show itself.

This is Unfamiliar Ceilings: NGE Fanart Thread, an ongoing discussion of Evangelion content replete with fan-made artwork. Over the next several posts, the basis for updating fan fiction presentability to a standard devised in-house will likely require some good old fashioned anime industry case studies to merit any major changes.

More on that soon.

Last edited:
1. The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still
1. The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still

* A Glimpse into the Mid-Season Artwork of Evangelion *

Episode TV Spot (edited)

As the thread gets going, I want to begin focusing on some trivia about the production elements and stylistic choices that Studio Gainax implemented for the mid season (somewhere around episodes 11 to 15). These episodes, according to Evangelion's production staff, feature animation work by Studio Ghibli. If you watch through the episode "The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still" (I have included a GIF of the 30 second preview for the episode above) you may recognize the character styling and other giveaways.

Next update, I will be inviting @MisterHalt , author of the NGE fanfic
Read the Fine Print , who rewrites the battle sequences of Episode 11 with a very interesting twist.

With their permission, the goal will be to draft some early fanart attempts of the different scenario as visited in Chapter 21 of the fanfic.

In closing, I have appended a silly poem, set to the 'Night Before Christmas' rhyme.

Bonus Extras Dicken's Christmas Carol Platinum Star Wars Holiday Special Fallout Reindeer DLC

*clears throat*

A Poem by waito_X

'Twas the middle of December 1995.
The transmission was steady and televised live.

Tim Burton's Nightmare had addled Anno's mind.
So he made his own fright fest to unsettle humankind.

Towering seventeen and a half stories and plugged straight to the grid.
TEST and PROTOTYPE units brought down an embryo and a squid.

But new guy Matarael was crafty, for weak points he prodded.
Giant daddy longlegs, unassailed he plodded.

The base's power was out, not a thing could be done.
Except feel through the corridors, bumping into everyone.

Then lo and behold, the pilots got into their EVAs.
They wall-climbed their giant robots, just because!

While it made sense to make these pre-battle antics.
None were more prepared than Matarael in pedantics.

He caught up to them, positioning his bulk over their hole.
He sweated out acids, exfoliating Unit-02 something abyssmal.

But invariably they held fast, working through all options.
Convinced the angel was tired, they made some last-minute adoptions.

Standard-issue pallet rifle and multi-meter ammo.
Lined up that stinker, and point-blank blammo.

Once again the day was saved.
But Townsville had long been paved.

THE END

Thank you everyone. Until next time!

Last edited:
Do We Want a Poll?
Jumping back in to check with all of you if it is prudent to use one of the newer features at SV, the poll feature. A brief search through Fiction Discussion will show the last big Evangelion poll took effect while A&T was still a rough draft.

This bears in mind the ongoing media attention toward Evangelion, and this thread's current goal to feature a plethora of forum member fanart submissions. Whether or not to implement polls will be brought up during any Q&As with Eva fanfic authors active on SV. That is, some of the talking points may steer toward how to prioritize what themes, categories, or even contest ideas that ought to feature next. The impetus is giving fanfic authors some involvement in the process, for much of the fanart delivered may be inspired from favorite instances found in the User Fiction subforum (which tends to have the most consistent Evangelion related content updates on SV).

In any case, polls are easily embedded into threads, and readers have the prerogative to view results before the poll window closes.

For example:

Incidentally, this snapshot of the other thread's poll results, that asked whether Evangelion is a masterpiece of anime, has now been done up as the thread's first 'fanart'.

Please feel free to view the poll results directly, and see if you spot any differences. This concludes my mini-update. Until next time!

Last edited:
When @waito_x came to me about fanart for my in-progress story, my first thought was 'Wait, fanart of my story? Is there really much that could be done with it that wouldn't just be canon with very slight differences?' Then I remembered scenes like the Matarael encounter where our three pilots and their friends get caught outside during the blackout and have to get to NERV themselves, and run into Matarael on their way.

Before Kensuke could offer a rebuttal, everything suddenly went dark. The teenagers looked around to see that every light in the mall had shut off, leaving the skylights as the only source of illumination. Other people were also looking around, murmuring to each other, and some were heading for the exits.

"Blackout?" asked Shinji. "Did the power stations break down in the heat or something?"

"Could it be an Angel?!" Kensuke asked, sounding almost excited.

"There was no alarm," reasoned Rei. "Early warning systems would have detected it and sounded the alert well before it reached the city."

As one, Shinji and Asuka pulled their phones out of their pockets and flipped them open. "Nothing from NERV either," noted Asuka. "The Geofront has its own power plants too. Maybe it's just a problem at the plant up here."

"Nothing we can do then," Shinji said with a shrug. "Should we just continue home?"

"May as well," replied Asuka. "It's gonna start getting warmer in here soon anyway, and I really want a cold shower."

"Great, no air-con on a day like this," Toji moaned as the group headed for the nearest exit.

Outside, the sun was still burning bright. Shinji sighed as he brought up a hand to shade his eyes. "I hope you know where we're going, Asuka, because the sun's not going anywhere for a while."

"Of course I do!" Asuka retorted with a huff. "Have you still not studied a map of Tokyo-3 to know where all weapon buildings and defensive emplacements are?"

Shinji abashedly rubbed the back of his head. "Well... since I'd mostly be riding along with you, I thought..."

Rolling her eyes, Asuka set off down the street. "No excuses. Learn," she said as she passed him. A moment later, the others followed suit. Shinji groaned in defeat, then trailed after them.

"Kensuke, do you really have no idea why Akera specifically chose you for this... photo shoot?" Hikari asked after a few minutes.

"Like I said, maybe she recognises talent," Kensuke replied with a shrug. "Dunno why she had to threaten me to do it though."

"Prob'ly so she wouldn't have to pay ya," Toji suggested. "Why pay for somethin' you could get just by leanin' on someone, ya know? And she does kinda have ya in a tough spot."

"Really, it's all his fault for being in that tough spot in the first place," said Asuka. "All he had to do was not take photos of girls without permission."

"Yeah, yeah, I get it already!" Kensuke almost shouted. "Nobody to blame but myself, blah bl-" He stopped, quirking an eyebrow as he looked back the way they came. "...Did you hear that?"

Everybody stopped and turned to face the same way. Shinji scanned the street, but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. There was not a person or car in sight, but the hot weather meant that that wasn't a surprise.

"There's nothing there," scoffed Asuka after a few tense seconds. "Don't try and change the subject."

"No, I... heard something too," Rei interjected. "But... I cannot place what it was."

Shinji blinked several times in surprise, turning to look at Rei. Her eyes were narrowed in suspicion and her hands were curled into fists as she cast her gaze about the area. "There it is again," she suddenly said, raising a hand.

"...Ya sure you two ain't just imaginin' things?" Toji asked. "The street's empty. Ain't nothin' there but concrete bein' cooked. Maybe the heat's just startin' to get to ya."

Shinji almost begrudgingly agreed with the jock, right up until he felt a faint vibration in his feet, coinciding with the just barely heard sound of something heavy hitting the ground. He swallowed nervously, trying to bring moisture back to his suddenly dry mouth. "Now I'm hearing it too," he quietly said.

Asuka gave a serious nod. "Yeah, me too..."

Toji sighed and put his hands up. "Fine, there's somethin' happening. Whatever it is, it don't concern us. Can't be an Angel after all, right? No phone call from NERV. Could just be construction somewhere nearby."

"I... believe it might be an Angel," Rei said in a low voice. She turned to face the others. "We should g-"

"What?" Hikari asked, when Rei continued to stare silently at her. "Is something wrong, Rei?"

As slow as a glacier, Rei raised a hand to point towards Hikari. Or rather, as Shinji soon noticed, something behind her. The other teenagers slowly turned around. What they saw made Shinji's heart leap into his throat. Something had sneaked up behind them. A huge, somewhat ovoid something. With many triangular eyes. Staring right at them.

Eventually, Shinji managed to tear his own eyes away from the main body of the creature to see that it was suspended on four legs so big that just the... 'knees'... seemed to rival the height of most skyscrapers.

"Holy shit," Toji whispered. "How'd that thing manage to get here?"

As if to show to boy how it was done, the creature began to move. Its ovoid body drew closer to the ground as its front left leg lifted up. Ever so slowly, the Angel -it had to be one, Shinji decided- moved closer and closer, its legs coming down almost gently on the ground several dozen metres away, while the teenagers seemed to have been frozen where they stood. It soon came to a stop mere metres from Hikari, who was trembling like a leaf in a hurricane. She then proceeded to faint, only to swiftly be caught by a quick-witted Toji, who slowly dragged her a couple metres away.

This left the three Children as the only thing standing between an Angel and their friends. An Angel that seemed incredibly interested in them, moving its body slightly so that its triangular eyes could look at all of them. Its eyes looked like they were merely decorative, as brightly coloured as an insect's markings, but there was nothing decorative about the way the irises shifted about inside the triangles.

'We are so, so very far away from our Evangelions right now,' Shinji glumly thought. He then heard what sounded like a quiet, mechanical shutter opening and closing. Turning his head to the left, he was completely unsurprised to see Kensuke with his camera in front of his face.

The Angel moved again, bringing one of its eyes closer and focusing it on Asuka from only about a metre away. To her credit, Asuka didn't so much as blink in the face of an eye as big as she was. In fact, it looked to Shinji as if she was about to haul off and punch it.

Shinji couldn't stop himself from flinching as the Angel turned its attention on him. It seemed to stare right through him, the eye moving up and down several times as if it were scanning him from head to toe.

And then it shifted its attention to Rei who, unsurprisingly, faced it with the same calm demeanour she normally employed throughout the day. The sole concession to acknowledging the danger they were in was the way her fists were once again clenched at her sides.

What was surprising, however, was how the Angel seemed to rear back slightly after scanning her. If it had eyelids, Shinji was sure that it would be blinking in confusion. Then, with the suddenness of a bully changing their mind about picking a fight with somebody who might not be a weakling, the Angel pulled its body up away from the ground and began to walk off. As it passed the Children, its eyes kept an... well... kept an eye on them until its body rounded a building and left their sight.

Kensuke was the first to speak. "Did you guys just stare down an Angel?!"

Shinji sucked in a harsh breath as he remembered to breath, and he heard Asuka do the same. They looked at each other for a moment, serious expressions on their faces, before Asuka folded her arms.

"We need to get to NERV," she announced, then glanced around. "Where's the nearest entrance?"

"Follow me," said Rei, moving ahead. She then paused for a moment, looking back at Toji and a recovering Hikari. "You should come too."

"Wait," Asuka interjected. "I'm not suggesting we leave them out here, but are you really saying we should bring civvies into the Geofront?"

Rei nodded. "The Angel is between us and the nearest shelter. There is no guarantee they will be safe if they try to go that way."

Shinji glanced up. The Angel's long, spindly legs could still be seen over the tops of the nearby buildings. "Good point. Lead the way."

I will admit, it would be nice to see this scene visualised, along with other things like Shinji and Asuka during the Leliel arc, and now that I think about it there's a bit that will happen near the end of the story that I can see so clearly in my head I wish I could take a photo of it. But I'm not an artist and I don't know any artists either. Besides, there are other fanworks out there like @Strypgia's Advice and Trust that have far better scenes for artists to do, if they were even interested in doing Eva fanfic art in the first place.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this thread goes. Let's see what happens.

Much appreciated @MisterHalt thank you for the brief introduction. Barring any schedule conflicts as we approach the new year, I'd like to put together a list or table using the thread tools where individuals can easily reference the fanfic material, in this instance Weird Contracts. This helps narrow down the character moments or other scenarios that exhibit the visceral feel for artistic application.

One medium for this, using the referenced scenes in your above spoiler, might represent as follows:

Before Kensuke could offer a rebuttal, everything suddenly went dark. The teenagers looked around to see that every light in the mall had shut off, leaving the skylights as the only source of illumination.
Other people were also looking around, murmuring to each other, and some were heading for the exits.

"Blackout?" asked Shinji. "Did the power stations break down in the heat or something?"

"Could it be an Angel?!" Kensuke asked, sounding almost excited.
"There was no alarm," reasoned Rei. "Early warning systems would have detected it and sounded the alert well before it reached the city."

There is an incremental approach to this that should pick up nicely. After outlining the scenes in question, the best thing in my mind is to attach a second column with some storyboard tiles. Because of Imgur's ability to auto-compress uploaded full size images, those might work best as thumbnail inserts with hyperlinks to the full size images.

Will discuss this more with you in the near future. Enjoy the weekend MisterHalt!

Last edited:
Stay tuned SV readers, another big update within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, I invite you to check out some of the recent activity in User Fiction. Specific NGE fanfic authors are getting some crazy attention, and for good reason. :)

Content Jump 2-A
2. (Not) Fanart - Part A - Battling Angel Matriel

Fanfic referenced:
Weird Contracts

One of the early goals of the thread is to help artists of SV piece together some NGE fanart ideas.

In this example, I focus on the different look and feel for events in NGE episode 11 (the Studio Ghibli episode, see previous post) and apply some of those elements to begin visualizing bits and pieces of the Weird Contracts fan fiction, looking specifically at a part
right before the jump in Chapter 21.

Consult below, for some how-to frames that might help artists begin coming up with further studies into NGE fanart styling. My hope is it begins breaking the ice for SV artists in their new or existing dialogue with some of the noteworthy NGE fanfic authors. After the following block quote, there will be an opportunity to answer a thread poll.
Previously on Weird Contracts:

With the following scene descriptions, I begin storyboarding with a series of rough sketches...

As slow as a glacier, Rei raised a hand to point towards Hikari. Or rather, as Shinji soon noticed, something behind her.
The other teenagers slowly turned around. What they saw made Shinji's heart leap into his throat.

[FINISHED IMAGE EMBED pending]
In the next quick update, I'll have more of the scene sorted out, such as depicting the oddity that is Matriel!

Thank you for your kind participation @MisterHalt . Readers, a brief poll follows this update...

Last edited:
Hello again!

I noticed it has been precisely a month since the last update. Here is where I want to ask some of the User Fiction head honchos a pertinent (art direction, planning) question:

@MisterHalt , @Jake and @Strypgia you have all been terrific in responding to my messages and inquiries about not only putting words to pictures in this experimental fanart thread, but by even prompting some cross-chatter between the Art section of the forums and where your fanfics reside. Rather than fill your inbox yet again, I will summarize the next talking point here.

Because the folks at Sufficient's Discord server all agree the Art section is quiet, (perhaps too quiet?) I could really use your help in making some kind of splash!

Please take time during your busy schedules to ping back with some thoughts or critiques of what the main Evangelion franchise is lacking visually, and how your fanfics in particular have tried to steer some more imaginative moments whether behind-the-scenes (canon abridged) or with creative license (original content).

Thanks!

Thread Update - Feb 25
Everyone has had a busy couple of weeks, and I'm glad to have heard back from many of you through direct message and seen your fanfic updates as they ping through. Before I approach more of the visualization topic, I want to revisit the bit of trivia surrounding NGE's episode 11. Because Ghibli was tapped to do the animation of that episode, I highly advise people find a means to watch that part of the series. The English episode title is The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still, and you can read more about it in the so-labeled threadmark.

Anyway, given that Ghibli and Hideaki Anno's team have a long-running collaborative in place, it should come as no surprise that one studio has helped the other with follow-up works. I recently discovered that NGE's creator (Anno) was the voice actor for the lead protagonist in Miyazaki's 2013 movie The Wind Rises. What might this casting decision indicate about Miyazaki and Anno's decades of working together? From an art direction perspective, it means lots of the visual themes and more impactful points of the story needed a specific industry figure to bring it to life.

Intriguingly, because Evangelion has many references to Japan's role in World War 2 just through character name choices alone, that might have instructed Miyazaki's casting decision, for his film is a period piece about the designer of the Mitsubishi A5 prototype and A6M mass produced carrier-launched fighter plane. But I will not spoil the movie, should you care to watch it sometime.

Instead, have a video snippet from some point in 1998 when Anno and Miyazaki were finished releasing End of Evangelion and Princess Mononoke and had time to catch up:

Source: Anno Cinema - YT channel link here

Last edited:
This is How We Party
So a lot of bloggers recently had a chance to dissect the scenes of the Evangelion Rebuild films to their hearts' content. I'm referring specifically to the 3 versions that for the better part of May were free to watch on Studio Khara's official YouTube Channel. Having recently watched the most recent and penultimate film 3.33 it has occurred to me that Asuka gets to do some rather spectacular experiments in thermodynamics. Perhaps you know which scenes I'm talking about. Anyway, if hot flows to cold, Asuka takes the cake with her Eva-sized plasma cutter starting up Wunder fleet's experimental powerplant.

But elsewhere in the film, Anno and the folks at Studio Khara have a chance to depict how heat behaves in thermodynamics scenarios however figuratively: we know that when you mess with the energy of an object it also affects the temperature (causes molecules in the space to change speeds). What happens right at the beginning cold opener for 3.33?

That's enough YT links, here's something from Vimeo, and apparently a rescore!

Here Asuka deftly uses her Unit-02 ninjutsu to intercept Third in the cold of Low Earth Orbit and perform a crude braking thruster maneuver to change the speed of his carriage. Despite copious nacelle flaring and explosions it is not until Shinji's conveyance emits a gamma ray burst that the whole thing decelerates and begins atmospheric entry. Energy, or Q, taken out of an object in orbit causes the freight-train of molecules to all fall down. Until next time!

Last edited:
Riding into the new season with you all, I noticed sibling "You Should (not)" Evangelion Fic thread by MisterHalt has come alive again. Check it out!

Recovering from a certain flu, plus the SV Minecraft server back online before the last update had me glued to anything but Evangelion material. As an apology to my fellow Art thread readers, here is a brief musical omage for Unit-00's pilot. I hope to have something along the lines of fanart plugs for the other plugsuit kiddos down the road. Press F for Kensuke, Martian year of self-quarantine! Music: The Birthday of Rei Ayanami

P.S. Artist / author attribution is now a thing at Sufficient V, so on other threads, please link or attribute accordingly. Major shout out to あまるけいいち for their absolutely adorable Chibi Rei, posted on Pixiv earlier today! :)

Rewatching the previous video. Hotobashiro indeed! So what is new? I felt like bringing up, for those of you who haven't already done so, to take a moment to scour the SV forums for any threads bearing the following tag. I glanced over that way, and how wonderful it is to see many Evangelion fic authors submitting new stories to the forums in just the past year and a half. Please go check out some of them, and maybe mention waito_x sent ya!

There's just one other wonderful thing to include in this update: More Fanart!

Spoiler covering (apologies to viewers on mobile!) as for the sketch of Asuka, I referred to a previous doujin page, and the link to properly attribute the doujin artist leads to a collection of images that are NSFW.

Above artwork (after the initial sketch reference) and other notes are by me @waito_x

Anyway, hope this update finds you well! Thank you for stopping by.

Hello there!
Welcome back once more to my Insta-
Psst, it's come to my attention that A&T's OP could probably go for some words of encouragement. Just head on over to check out yesterday's update.

In case you are new to the site or whatnot, Strypgia runs what is in essence the parent thread of user-generated NGE content at SV. Said person's efforts over the months / years has helped restore broad userbase levels of interest in Anno's old kids with robots TV series. It is why this and a handful of other threads on the website tag top-level posts with
some kind of Strypgia accreditation. But in any case, more power to you Strypgia! I'm glad to be riding this NGE hype wave with all the WAFF it brings.

Obligatory fanart post-script:

Pic context

New (still under wraps)
Anyone remember the chapter 11 or so range of Advice and Trust when Strypgia linked this gem?

I've half a mind to animate around this scene, but not your usual social media GIF edit with out of sync motion / optic flow shenanigans. Nope, going full cinematic treatment start to finish I tell ya! Just gotta boot up Blender and that makehuman community plug-in. :rolleyes:

Soryu, age 16
Code:
Caucasian - Asian parentage
32-24-32 measurements
Long hair
Eyes undefined
Simple light map
Special clothes

We'll see how it goes!

edit: Shinji, age 17
Code:
Asian parentage
Simple game engine skeleton
Short hair
Eyes undefined
Muscle template
Casual clothes

Fifty-three bones dear boy.

Last edited:
Thank you. Have completed the Blender : MH sync tutorial stage, relatively painless. Have made a meme in the interim..

Asushin. Here we go again.

Happy belated April Fool's for some of you timezones.

Here is but a humble preview....

Back