Unfamiliar Ceilings: NGE Fanart Thread

When coming up with NGE fanart, do you... ?

• Total voters
And I went back to the NGE Manga
Would that be the manga that ran parallel to the tv series? I mean, closer to Infinite Playlist where the kiddos similarly cartwheel through a more everyday, slice of life school experience are the Girlfriend of Steel and Ikari Raising manga works -- I read through ten volumes of SIRP for the Yui, Ritsuko and Maya having souped up cameos, to the Khara team's credit.
I would keep the Rei/Mana/Asuka fanservice to a one volume after story at most Takahashi-san!

That would be it, yes xD I haven't read more than one volume of SIRP (haven't found anything else TAT), and Girlfriend of Steel didn't click with me completely for some reason.

Well I happily stand corrected, now with a digital copy of the 2-in-1 end volume from Viz. Sure enough, the manga wraps up flowing seamlessly into A&SIP.

Oh and here's some fanart I made!
Click to enlarge (IMGUR url)

As they say in the media trade language, "show, don't tell...baka". To Stryp and fellow NGE aficionados, the WAFF is happening, it just needs till the 30th for delta-v.

And not to appear like I'm going the 'extra mile' or anything, but for adapting the A&T story, looking at 5,280 words a segment as somewhat ideal for my workstation's performance range.

This benchmarking and blitzing through tutorials has me super stoked.

A&T Chapter by Chapter Renders
Starting the renders, first up some early looks at midpoint of Chapter 3 as it happened:

Misato: "You both try to get some rest. I'm going to see what Doctor Akagi has come up with
for analysis of this thing."

Rei processed that thought some more. Yes, the stare, the rigid posture that radiated controlled tension... it was very much like the Commander. She... did not like to see Ikari-kun like this.
Leliel may be troublesome. But Blender is an outright beast!

And testing the waters some more by jumping ahead to the Climax scenes. All of these work in progress...

Last edited:
Brief update :V

First, happy Mother's Day to those of you celebrating. Jimmy's art thread has a nice couple of pics uploaded to that effect, including a commission by MRA Artworks.

Meanwhile, some technical tidbits regarding an A&T test video!

Going to be using Blender's built-in AVI output with light compression to start. This is a relatively modernized open-source encoding platform so I'm not too worried. Checking to see whether the TV standard from NGE days of 30Hz is enough rendered frames to otherwise fit the demanding monitor refresh rates of nowadays. Ratio is 4:3, 1080p.

Throwing in a 60Hz clip to compare.

and now that I think about it there's a bit that will happen near the end of the story that I can see so clearly in my head I wish I could take a photo of it.

Just recently, MH updated the previously featured fic with a fresh title. I went back through to correct URLs in the previous posts, but now I find a good time to poke the fic author: do you still see that scene so clearly? :cool:

Just recently, MH updated the previously featured fic with a fresh title. I went back through to correct URLs in the previous posts, but now I find a good time to poke the fic author: do you still see that scene so clearly? :cool:
It actually took me a moment to remember which scene, but yes. I keep thinking about the scene in particular when thinking on how the endgame will go.

Media Relations
Well, I have some uh-oh, almost-done-goofed news.

A quick search for announcements from people in the know, a browser-based quest for the holy grail of Evangelion Fanart Guidelines itself, led to me stumbling upon this aptly named HypeBeast article, excerpted below:
Please note: The particular wording and color scheme of the article immediately brought to mind the Sound Only stills for NGE nemeses SEELE. (own typefont changes and emphasis)

Article:

RULE 7: DO NOT rєlєαsє FAN CREATIONS tσ αnnσuncє sσmєthíng wíth α sєpαrαtє scσpє. ONLY rєlєαsє fαn crєαtíσns wíthín thє scσpє σf THE GUIDELINES σr undєr α símílαr LICENSE.

I cannot claim to know enough legalese, or hope to stay fully up to date with the newest Terms of Use for the approved platforms* for fan creations of Evangelion.

Therefore, I humbly withdraw, Unicode sєєlє shenanigans aside, my earlier audacious bids to submit to these forums any media that would come into conflict with the above requirement or other accompanying rules to that effect.

This, unfortunately, includes any solo effort in animating select scenes of Advice & Trust regardless of how I feel about it. Khara understandably continues working diligently to defend its IP baby amidst the highly publicized screenings of Rebuild 3.0 + 1.0, cracking down on rule breakers.
So maybe I will sit tight and wait until the --? edit: Thanks Stryp!

Will give it more thought. Till next update, ye treasure seekers!

-----
*FOOTNOTE: The referenced December 2020 HypeBeast article makes mention of:
YouTube​
Twitch​
Pixiv​
Nico​
Patreon​
Ko-Fi​

Last edited:
That follow-up article is at minimum a good guess at the direction the staff at Khara would like to see fan content go, however it still provides little insight into how to define fan mediums breaking rule 7, unrelated or other content.

edit: To your second point, yes SV would fall under rule 2, however I am mainly concerned about rule 7 and its take on media that routes people to other websites, even rule 2 appropriate ones. Perhaps non-monetization solves this.

Last edited:
If fanfic is acceptable, then it seems to me that fan art and fan animation for purposes of non-commercially illustrating non-commercial fanfic should be acceptable.

Last edited:
I am inclined to agree. As this thread gets its beginnings, or genesis, from a discussion in MH's Fine Print thread, I had wanted to at least consciously recognize the fine print of the NGE franchise proper. So with that out of the way, I boot up the animating equipment once more intrepidly, glad to be immersed in all these written works scattered about SV, to finally give one if not several of them some ample screen time.

Here is the checklist off the top of my head:
  • Closely watching Anno's own noteworthy stylistic precision in the show.
  • Contextualizing relevant theories about NGE and other sci-fi of that period.
  • Choosing to rely just as heavily on plot instruments of recursion and realism.
  • Not trying to show off.
Oh and Strypgia, yours is not the only mind that got to plow through an outright Jenga tower of Humanities books back in the day. In fact oddly enough one of my Humanities finals (not major, just prereqs) had someone from the US Army, back from deployment doing the undergrad in style. They were so elated, issuing the back few rows of test takers a bunch of free McD's breakfast mcmuffin thingamajigs. Hope that wasn't you.

In fact oddly enough one of my Humanities finals (not major, just prereqs) had someone from the US Army, back from deployment doing the undergrad in style. They were so elated, issuing the back few rows of test takers a bunch of free McD's breakfast mcmuffin thingamajigs. Hope that wasn't you.
Hahahaha, oh, that's amazing. But no, I joined up after I finished my Bachelor's, not before. And sadly, my university lacked a ROTC group, otherwise I'd have gone in as 2LT Strype.

Who in the NGE verse would have that rank from a U.N. echelon standpoint?
No named canon character holds the rank of second lieutenant. (The bridge bunnies are all 1LTs.)
2LTs (In US service, at least) are automatically promoted to 1LT after 18-24 months after commissioning, and to Captain automatically after 48 months. I could have been pushing for Major when I got out, instead of E-6 Staff Sergeant.

Well enough. You feeling good about A&T updates the past month or thereabouts?

Oh and gilded, which is to express really glad you got from liberal arts to army service and babysitting a whopper of a fanfic. It is good to see that sort of resourcefulness, if that is the word?

Fanart: Have a Beatrice GIF, she sometimes draws upon twin ponytail Asuka's fire.

Perihelion's team gets a coffee I suppose. Image from TENOR.

Last edited:
"Don't call me 'sir'. I work for a living." — some sergeant somewhere sometime.

Well enough. You feeling good about A&T updates the past month or thereabouts?

Oh and gilded, which is to express really glad you got from liberal arts to army service and babysitting a whopper of a fanfic. It is good to see that sort of resourcefulness, if that is the word?
Gilded? I don't know what to say. Thank you.

I start a new job on Monday. I have hope that a return to gainful employment will help move me along again. I even have some ideas for a Backstage bit, based on some spoilers I've seen for 3.0+1.0.

"Don't call me 'sir'. I work for a living." — some sergeant somewhere sometime.
I said that so many times.

Back