I have a question . . . .I have a roommate who has an FX 6300 machine that I have 3/4 convinced them into upgrading.

However they like to play Elder Scrolls Online and they are afraid of losing extras, I think player mods specifically, when they start with what is essentially all new hardware. Sounds like they have a ton of extras they have installed. Is there any way to save all that stuff and port it over to a different computer?

I have a question . . . .I have a roommate who has an FX 6300 machine that I have 3/4 convinced them into upgrading.

However they like to play Elder Scrolls Online and they are afraid of losing extras, I think player mods specifically, when they start with what is essentially all new hardware. Sounds like they have a ton of extras they have installed. Is there any way to save all that stuff and port it over to a different computer?

Depends on how the mods are installed and where they're kept. I don't know about ESO mods? Are they handled through a nexus site? Does he use a mod manager? If so might be able to port the settings of the mod manager to just download the mods again?

If the extras are literally just files in a folder that don't need anything else to work he can just zip the folder and put it on a flash drive.

Skyrim just got a new update (which obviously broke SKSE as usual) with bug fixes, widescreen and Steam Deck support, oh and another attempt at paid mods.

In-game the Creation Club and Mods have been merged to "Creations". Everyone can release free creations and vetted mod creators can sell their mods. They can choose the price themselves, from a list of allowed prices, and get a percentage of each sale. How big the percentage is has not been made public yet. I haven't updated yet so I can't check myself, but it looks like you still have to buy CC points to buy the mods themselves.

So far, I've only checked out one mod, the East Empire Expansion made by " Kinggath Creations, a newly formed dev studio around KingGath, the creator of the SimSettlements mod for FO4. Which costs 700 Points, with the lowest amount of points you can buy on Steam being 750.

Aside from paid mods*, I'm sure combining Creation Club and Mods into the new category of "Creations" had nothing to do with the Anniversary Edition and how it included all the Creation Club content...

Anyway, I'm wondering how long the new "paid mods" attempt will last.

Link to a Bethesda article about it

*I'm still not sure about it. I think the modders deserve money for their work, but having to pay for mods can very quickly make a proper mod list be too expensive for all but the rich.

The problem (well, one of several) with the paid mods is that they are all objectively inferior versions of mods that are already available for free. This disproves the often-claimed idea that paying for the mods results in a better product; it simply doesn't. The paid 'quest' mods are the most egregious examples, where all of the narrative is restricted to in-game notes; compare to free mods which feature voice actors, set pieces, and even full cut scenes in some mods.
i think one of the "Creations" adds guns.
I've not seen the paid mod in question, but there's already a high quality and lore-friendly free mod that adds guns.

Apparently Paid Mods 2: Broke The Free Mods Boogaloo is different in that it's not all in this note; they're actually allowed to include voice acting.

(Not that I'm likely to touch this at all.)

And here I thought they were catching enough flak from Starfield being stagnant but I guess they're gluttons for punishment.
I'd actually wager that this Skyrim update is a testbed to lay the groundwork for Starfield's upcoming official mod support next year. Bethesda is testing the waters to see how much they can get away with probably.

It might've been a size limitation, I remember reading somewhere that CC content could only be so big, or something along those lines. But I can't find anything about that right now.

Another possibility could be that Bethesda didn't want to do/pay for it. Instead of mod authors selling their mods, with Creation Club, Bethesda hired the authors to create content for them. It was basically official DLC, it just was farmed out instead of made in-house. So Bethesda might've been required to pay people to record the voice lines in all the languages they offer.

Since this isn't the case with Creations, the creators have more room to work. The only thing they're forbidding is the use of AI generated content, which is a good decision in my opinion.

As a side note, while you may have to pay for certain Creations, they are not official DLC, thus they disable achievements and, for console players, count for your limit.

It might've been a size limitation, I remember reading somewhere that CC content could only be so big, or something along those lines. But I can't find anything about that right now.
Yeah, this update increased the ESL size limit(which is good in that it allows more mods by allowing bigger mods to be ESLs that don't count towards the limit, but has the downside of mods taking advantage of that being incompatible with the previous versions of Skyrim).

Creation Club content could be ESMs rather than ESLs, so ESL limits weren't the entirety of why they couldn't have non-reused voiced content.

Redownloaded the game yesterday (moving my Skyrim stuff to a larger drive) and it didn't include multiple elements from the AE DLC despite me having had the thing for a year. Which likely means I'll need to undo the reversion I did to be able to actually use my modlist so I can use the stupid 'Creations' portal to hopefully actually get that fixed. When it should've been showing up when I downloaded the rest of the game.

Bethesda Declined Obsidian's Proposals to Develop The Elder Scrolls Spin-Offs

Article:
As it turns out, there might actually be some substance to this theory, considering a noteworthy piece of evidence, largely overlooked at the time, that was shared nearly two years ago by none other than Chris Avellone, a renowned Game Designer and one of the key figures in the history of Fallout.

In a dated Twitter thread rediscovered recently by Twitter user @nuke_lea, Avellone stated that the team had presented numerous ideas for a new Fallout game to Bethesda, but unfortunately, all were turned down. Moreover, Avellone alleged that Obsidian even approached Bethesda with a proposal to develop spin-offs similar to FNV for The Elder Scrolls franchise, but these suggestions were also met with rejection.

View: https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1736609878133850431

View: https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1736611116338511876

View: https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1736612923441856561

This is true. One of the Elder Scrolls proposals (which I pitched) was intended to serve the same function as FNV did between F3 and F4, to provide more adventures in the setting during the years before the next Bethesda release.

I thought it couldn't hurt to try and push a similar system to what Treyarch/Activision had going with Call of Duty at the time (but hopefully less rushed). Bethesda could do a core release, then we'd release a TES title (in same world or a divergent timeline/era) before the next big Beths. push.

Probably less relevant now that Elder Scrolls Online is going, but at the time, it seemed to be something that could benefit both studios.

Not surprisingly, it didn't gain much traction - I never got the impression Beths. was happy with FNV's reception (good and bad).

its hard to blame them considering how broken new vegas was at launch

That was one of the bad points, yes. It had numerous issues at launch that we could have worked harder to resolve.

Damn. What I would have given for New Skyrim lol.

Damn. I'd have loved to see some Elder Scrolls spin-offs, rather than just ESO and endless re-releases of Skyrim. Honestly, letting a proven studio like Obsidian play in the sandbox by making a few spin-offs might be just what was needed to breathe some new life into the franchise. Personally, I suspect petty jealousy. They're livid that some players like Obsidian's FNV more than Fallout 3, 4, or 76, and don't want to be upstaged on the franchise that made them a household name. Rather than convincing them of their need to up their game, they'd rather rest on their laurels in mediocrity.

No, that's a myth. Bethesda doesn't have a grudge against Obsidian or vice versa. It's perhaps safer to assume the reason Bethesda doesn't want to give anyone else reins is because they did it once and Obsidian delivered an extremely buggy product.

Something something 76.

If they hated NV, they wouldn't actually promote NV related stuff. That being said, it is extremely foolish to let the Elder Scrolls IP languish for a decade plus. Sure, we've got ESO, that horrible mobile game, that trading card game, and the 5768th re-release of Skyrim, but you'd think they'd give us Elder Scrolls: Redguard 2 or whatever.

I can't entirely blame Bethesda for this decision (NV was indeed a shitshow at launch) but it's such a goddamn catastrophe that we could've gotten Obsidian Elder Scrolls and didn't. An Elder Scrolls game that's an actually good RPG would be godlike, and of course having any kind of Elder Scrolls would be nice by its own merits.

Oh well, no point agonizing too much about something that was always a longshot. Bethesda was never going to give out access to its core IP, even though they really should've.

My hot take here is that Bethesda saying yes means we probably don't get most of the last decade of Obsidian games, and I'd rather have Pillars/Tyranny/Pentiment than TES: New Cyrodiil

Eh, Obsidian isn't Bethesda. They're able to make more then one game a decade.

I'm sure there would be a tradeoff but it needn't be one or the other.

Maybe- part of it is that I assume these discussions happened during or after the production of FNV, in which case the Obsidian!TES would potentially have been developed right around the time that Obsidian ended up working on Pillars of Eternity instead (circa 2012, I want to say?). The studio also nearly collapsed post-FNV- kickstarting Pillars was a real roll of the dice, so to speak, and I sort of wonder whether another Bethesda collaboration would have sunk them.

I also wonder what happens to Obsidian's identity in this scenario- between KOTOR II, Fallout: New Vegas, and the hypothetical Obsidian!TES, they'd be slowly morphing into a developer that mainly does other studios' games better (and more buggily) than said studios.

You make a good point about Obsidian's output- I do suspect they'd still try to do at least one of Pillars or Tyranny at some point in the 2010s, as both were long-standing passion projects within the company. But both? Hard to tell, and IIRC Pentiment came together through fairly specific circumstances.

Of course, the real question is whether Bethesda would let them use the Creation Engine for TES: New Cyrodiil, or if they'd be stuck with the godawful Gamebryo engine of Oblivion/Fallout 3/FNV infamy.

Back