Shards of a Broken Sun [Deprecated; see link in final post for remake]

Under Exalted mechanics, you could choose to ignore the success of an opponent's argument by spending willpower to negate theirs, and if you ignored them twice you basically tuned them out.

UMI's specific quality is removing the ability to become immune to an argument. Even if it's the third tacky friendship speech of the day, you must take it as if it was the first one you had encountered.
Oh and it costs more to shrug off most of the time. It doesn't improve your argument on it's own though, which means if your speech is fallacious and/or rolls poorly they could entirely tear your argument apart with the UMI doing nothing at all.
Maaaan I wish I had a UMI. It sounds like some medical equipment thing but I wish I had one.

... That Ice Demon girl we picked up never had a chance, did she?
She's mostly insulated from it, thanks to not being part of the collective unconscious.

Amu's default UMI field amounts to a passive "I'm cool!" enforcement. She's so stuck on convincing herself of that, she ends up convincing everyone else first.

(At least, that used to be the case...)

She isn't so much a magical girl, as a magical girl-themed psionicist.

(Nyarly and Philemon were responsible for that. Um... Yay? Nothing to say about that, really. Definitely won't be saying who's winning the bet.)
I was joking, but it does describe our interactions with him so far. He even offered to infuse us with sanity-destroying power!
"Gifts". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is this one of those, the road to hell is paved with good intentions things? Where Nyarlathotep litters the road with things it tries to scare you in to doing and some of them even seem like they're things a well intentioned person would do?

Kind of makes one reconsider some things I guess...

Is this one of those, the road to hell is paved with good intentions things? Where Nyarlathotep litters the road with things it tries to scare you in to doing and some of them even seem like they're things a well intentioned person would do?

Kind of makes one reconsider some things I guess...
Well, yes. He is, in a word, the human concept/want of/desire for self-destruction. It's why we've been so careful in dealing with the shards of him that show up to us, the thing is though... That's actually kind of what we're looking to do long term.

Establishing a new metaphysical frame-work for humanity (and others) to run off of. Likely to be a mix of motonic and magasutchi based physics in some way, since those are the ones we have access to. This will, effectively, erase humanity as it currently is, and thus fulfilling Nyarly's goal of self-destruction, while also letting humanity move on to a new form letting them keep existing. This time without Nyarly in the background. Hopefully.

Probably not though unfortunately. TED was there for Motonic physics, so that's 2 for 2 on having some Great Shadow exist. TED was pinned down in a way Nyarly just can't be though, so... *Shrug* Who knows.

Well, yes. He is, in a word, the human concept/want of/desire for self-destruction. It's why we've been so careful in dealing with the shards of him that show up to us, the thing is though... That's actually kind of what we're looking to do long term.

Establishing a new metaphysical frame-work for humanity (and others) to run off of. Likely to be a mix of motonic and magasutchi based physics in some way, since those are the ones we have access to. This will, effectively, erase humanity as it currently is, and thus fulfilling Nyarly's goal of self-destruction, while also letting humanity move on to a new form letting them keep existing. This time without Nyarly in the background. Hopefully.

Probably not though unfortunately. TED was there for Motonic physics, so that's 2 for 2 on having some Great Shadow exist. TED was pinned down in a way Nyarly just can't be though, so... *Shrug* Who knows.
Unless you change the entire psychology of Humanity as a whole, you can won't get rid of Nyarlathotep. And if you change Humanity so fundamentally, what you have in the end won't be Human in any way except in its ancestry, which defeats the entire point of trying to save Humanity.

And I don't think getting rid of Nyarlathotep is good for humanity anyway. He's the embodiment of our self-harming and self-destructive tendencies as a species, the darker side of human nature, but it's in wrestling with this darker side and winning that we evolve as individuals and as each individual evolves so too does the whole of Humanity.

Taking him out of the equation may well render Humanity incapable of true change and psychological and spiritual growth.

If humanity would stop making Erebus that'd be grand though. Says Elizabeth with vehemence.

I'm sad that DMN and DSN won't have a plot. Random rhythm game was one thing but a plotless rhythm game just sucks.

Last edited:
@Baughn since you're restarting this and all, I think it's worth pointing out my biggest problem with the way the quest was previously written: it assumes the quest-players know and have a good understanding of four separate franchises, without really making any concession to those who don't. Even with wiki-walking the Shugo-Chara stuff, for instance, is a maze of tangled references and half finished thoughts.

I'm certainly not advocating general re-writes or dumbing things down, just ... requesting that when you write a chapter you examine it through the lens of "what does this mean to someone who has never heard of Exalted/Shugo-Chara/SMT/Black Rock Shooter before this quest?"

Unless you change the entire psychology of Humanity as a whole, you can won't get rid of Nyarlathotep. And if you change Humanity so fundamentally, what you have in the end won't be Human in any way except in its ancestry, which defeats the entire point of trying to save Humanity.
Not necessarily. Even ignoring "trans-humanism for the win" options, there's still approaches like removing that part of the human psyche and replacing it with a ... prosthetic/seal/artifact that has an identical effect on human thought but doesn't connect to the Collective Unconscious. Basically attacking the ability of Nyarlathotep to embody what Nyarly embodies. It'd be fiendishly hard but within the realm of possible for an exalt

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Even ignoring "trans-humanism for the win" options, there's still approaches like removing that part of the human psyche and replacing it with a ... prosthetic/seal/artifact that has an identical effect on human thought but doesn't connect to the Collective Unconscious.It'd be fiendishly hard but within the realm of possible for an exalt
Not...really?

The Collective Unconscious has a will.

Like.

Door-kun is the closest anyone gets and not even the seal on Nix is absolute.

Not...really?

The Collective Unconscious has a will.

Like.

Door-kun is the closest anyone gets and not even the seal on Nix is absolute.
What I'm talking about is not a seal. I'm talking about outright ripping that part of the psyche out of the human mind. Rendering human's into inhuman beings. Then taking those inhuman beings and grafting on something that at the level of "normal reality" is functionally identical to what was lost but on the level of kagatsuchi and magatsuchi is actually just an emulator imitating the true thing without actually hooking into the Collective Unconscious.

Now this wouldn't be something that Amu could do, but an E10 Solar with the right skill set should be capable of such (such a glowing recommendation of feasibility, I know)

Last edited:
What I'm talking about is not a seal. I'm talking about outright ripping that part of the psyche out of the human mind. Rendering human's into inhuman beings. Then taking those inhuman beings and grafting on something that at the level of "normal reality" is functionally identical to what was lost but on the level of kagatsuchi and magatsuchi is actually just an emulator imitating the true thing without actually hooking into the Collective Unconscious.

Now this wouldn't be something that Amu could do, but an E10 Solar with the right skill set should be capable of such (such a glowing recommendation of feasibility, I know)
Na- ... Can we get sorcery? I know this has come up before probably, but I can't remember. I was going to say any Elder Solar with Sorcery could probably do it, but... *Shrug*

Not necessarily. Even ignoring "trans-humanism for the win" options, there's still approaches like removing that part of the human psyche and replacing it with a ... prosthetic/seal/artifact that has an identical effect on human thought but doesn't connect to the Collective Unconscious. Basically attacking the ability of Nyarlathotep to embody what Nyarly embodies. It'd be fiendishly hard but within the realm of possible for an exalt
That... still requires the equivalent of extensive, invasive surgery on the collective Psyche of Humanity, and the prosthetic/seal/artifact you propose could very well have unintended side-effects or long-term problems, because we're dealing woth something extremely complex and fundamental to Humanity.

Once again, Nyarlathotep embodies the dark side of the Human Psyche, but it's only by facing this darker side that we can improve as individuals. He's not the cause of those dark impulses, but their embodiment, and coming to term with these impulses is part of the process of self-realization of Humanity.

Getting rid of Nyarlathotep means getting rid of these impulses and disrupting this process, which is just as bad, or perhaps worse, than letting Nyarly walk around.

That's... That's actually a really fucking horrible thing to do and I cannot in good conscience accept that. You're basically proposing the genocide of the Human Soul and replacing it with an ersatz.

Fuck no.

Wow

I find the very thought of that utterly repulsive

I never said it was a good idea. Just a way to get rid of Nyarly without fundamentally killing humanity.
That's... That's actually a really fucking horrible thing to do and I cannot in good conscience accept that. You're basically proposing the genocide of the Human Soul and replacing it with an ersatz
Only the portion Nyarly represents, not the entire thing. Maiming, not genociding. That difference is the entire point

Last edited:
Only the portion Nyarly represents, not the entire thing. Maiming, not genociding.
That doesn't make it any better.

And why the hell do we need to get rid of Nyarly, anyway? He's a dick, he's dangerous, but so are many other people and things that aren't the representation of a basic part of the human Psyche.

He isn't the cause of what he represents, but exists as a side-effect.

And why the hell do we need to get rid of Nyarly, anyway? He's a dick, he's dangerous, but so are many other people and things that aren't the representation of a basic part of the human Psyche.
Because a large part of him wants to, and takes active action towards, killing everyone? It seems like there should be some way to prevent those parts of humanity from physically manifesting and invading reality, without actually removing them. Or we could free humanity from Kagutsuchi's prison, whatever that means in practice, which should help if Nyarly's statements are anything to go by.
A side-effect that keeps trying to destroy the world!

Because he asked us to help do that?

Nyarlathotep's fondest wish is to no longer exist. It defines his existence on every level.

Last edited:
Because a large part of him wants to, and takes active action towards, killing everyone? It seems like there should be some way to prevent those parts of humanity from physically manifesting and invading reality, without actually removing them. Or we could free humanity from Kagutsuchi's prison, whatever that means in practice, which should help if Nyarly's statements are anything to go by.

A side-effect that keeps trying to destroy the world!

If we can find a way to get rid of him that doesn't involve irrevocably altering the fundaments of the human psyche or destroying the process of self-realization of which he embodies one aspect, then fine. But this isn't the sort of thing to go for without examining every aspect involved and how they relate to each other.

Because he asked us to help do that?

Nyarlathotep's fondest wish is to no longer exist. It defines his existence on every level.

Just because he asked to not exist anymore doesn't mean getting rid of him is a good idea. He's Nyarlathotep. He's as much of a trickster and a troll as The Ebon Dragon, and that's the sort of thing I expect TED might ask an Exalt to do if he though it would definitely fuck everyone else over more than inexistence would fuck him over, and if he thought the Exalt were stupid enough to fall for it.

Back