Scouting for ORPHEUS Protocol (interest/recruit)

Well then, I would also like to vote for the first one, it seems more interesting and I would also like to add a scenario.

Well not that much of a scenario and more of a condition, besides whatever other plot is going on time loops, at the end of they day things go right back to the start and only they seem to be able to remember, making it so the team sent can't get outside will also serving as a subplote for the main plot. This would also help us get more comfortable with the setting as death may or may not stick around.

Well then, I would also like to vote for the first one, it seems more interesting and I would also like to add a scenario.

Well not that much of a scenario and more of a condition, besides whatever other plot is going on time loops, at the end of they day things go right back to the start and only they seem to be able to remember, making it so the team sent can't get outside will also serving as a subplote for the main plot. This would also help us get more comfortable with the setting as death may or may not stick around.

Hmmm, no. We're not doing Groundhog Day for our/my first go at Orpheus.

Voting Time!
Let's have your votes, everyone who's playing!

Option 1. One or more ORPHEUS operatives are sent in as a cell to investigate anomalous activity, meeting up with whoever among you is an outside contractor (if any). Once there, things gradually go sideways, and the town becomes all entrance, no exit. The Cell, assistants, and innocent locals must collaborate toward a way out of this mess.

Option 2. ORPHEUS agents are sent in to embed themselves, ingratiate themselves to the community, and uncover occult activities. While there, they start to see the inhabitants are not as intel made them seem. The Cell must reinvent the plan, and make good on the investment they have put into this place.

[] Option 1
[] Option 2

Well, that was easy enough. Let's start Character Creation with Bonds. Each of you need to define a person, group, or organization, which your character has an Affirming or Estranging bond with. Feel free to be creative, I'm not providing a list of approved Bond choices or anything like that.

Well, that was easy enough. Let's start Character Creation with Bonds. Each of you need to define a person, group, or organization, which your character has an Affirming or Estranging bond with. Feel free to be creative, I'm not providing a list of approved Bond choices or anything like that.
I already have a mostly complete sheet I think, can i run it by you?

okay, here is what I got so far:
Name: Eskil
Archetypes: Werewolf/Hero
Archetype Abilities:
  • Rank 1: Pack hunter
  • Rank 1: Partial Transformation: Savagery
  • Rank 1: Aegis of Fate

Strains:
  • Mental: 4
  • Physical: 20
  • Spiritual: 6

Motivations:
  • Bond: The monster that slaughtered your community (Traumatic Enemy, Estranging)
  • Principles: The pack hunts together while the lone wolf starves, Affirming
  • Fear: Autophobia (Fear of being alone)
  • Flaw: Can't read

Attributes:
  • Perception: 1
  • Cognition: 1
  • Dexterity: 5
  • Vitality: 5
  • Charisma: 1
  • Willpower: 2

Derivated Attributes
  • Melee Attack: 5
  • Ranged Attack: 3
  • Evade*: 3
  • Parry*: 5
  • Vigilance*: 1
  • Wariness*: 1,5
  • Speed: 5
  • Clarity: 0
  • Toughness: +2
  • Force of Will: 0
  • Tactics Bonus: 0

Background:
Civilian: Bonuses
  • Rank 1 (Intimidation)
  • Rank 2 (Might)
  • Rank 2 (Endurance)
  • Rank 3 (Athletics)
  • Rank 1 (Stealth)

Skills:
  • Rank 1 (Intimidation)
  • Rank 3 (Might)
  • Rank 5 (Endurance)
  • Rank 5 (Athletics)
  • Rank 5 (Stealth)
  • Rank 5 (Attack: Unarmed)
  • Rank 3 (Dodge)
  • Rank 2 (Stability)
  • Rank 1 (Attack: Knife)
  • Rank 3 (Craft: Woodworking)
  • Rank 2 (Contacts: Lycanthropes communities)

Last edited:
Bond: Brother (Affirming)

Principle: You always have a choice, whether you dare take it or not. (Estranging)

Not totally happy with this, but eh, should be done? I think I have all the math right. Ended up more of a jack of all trades than I'd originally planned.

Wonder if I'll actually get any use out of that drive skill...
Asset Name: Hayden Briggs (Note: Prefers to go by pseudonym 'Rook')
Archetype: Vampire/Soldier
Archetype Abilities:
  • Rank 1: Dark Fascination
  • Rank 1: Encroaching Undeath
  • Rank 1: Focus, Commitment, Sheer Will
Motivations:
  • Bond: Old Unit (Comradery, Affirming)
  • Principle: The only one you can really rely upon is yourself. (Estranging)
  • Fear: Fear of Intimacy (close physical or emotional connection)
  • Flaw: Embers of Patriotism

Humanity: 98/98 (2 invested)

Strains:
  • Mental: 11
  • Physical: 12
  • Spiritual: 10

Damage Tracks:
Clarity: 3 Wounded, 3 Seriously Wounded, 2 Critically Wounded
Heath: 3 Wounded, 3 Seriously Wounded, 2 Critically Wounded
Stress: 3 Wounded, 3 Seriously Wounded, 2 Critically Wounded

Attributes:
  • Perception: 2
  • Focus: 3
  • Dexterity: 3
  • Vitality: 3
  • Charisma: 1
  • Willpower: 3

Derived Attributes
  • Melee Attack: 3
  • Ranged Attack: 2
  • Unnatural Attack: 2
  • Evade*: 2
  • Parry*: 3
  • Vigilance*: 2
  • Wariness*: 2
  • Speed: 3
  • Acuity: 1
  • Toughness: 1
  • Force of Will: 1
  • Tactical Acumen: 1
  • Initiative: 8

Background:
Logistics Operator (Shuffled Security and Cybersecurity)
  • Rank D: Cybersecurity
  • Rank C: Security, Knowledge (Military)
  • Rank B: Knowledge (Tradecraft)
  • Combat Skill Bonus: Stability.

Non-Combat Skills (35 Points):

Rank D: Might
Rank C: Intimidation, First Aid, Presence
Rank B: Drive, Endurance

Combat Skills (35 Points):
Rank D: Awareness
Rank C: Attack (Unarmed), Athletics, Discipline
Rank B: Attack (Rifle)
Rank A: Stability

Collected Background Notes:
  • Service in the US Army during Operation Enduring Freedom and ensuing occupation. Served as a Motor Transport Driver.
    • Believed to have acquired callsign/pseudonym 'Rook' during this time.
    • Although not a direct combat role, cited as having come under fire at least four times. Received Purple Heart due to minor shrapnel lacerations.
  • Disappeared during leave in the States. Missing persons report filed and then retracted. Medical discharge for 'injuries relating to severe anemia' follows.
  • Orpheus Protocol first notes Rook in connection to Vampiric Cells in Houston, specifically as a soldier in the service of High Value Target [REDACTED].
    • Orpheus Protocol Agent Ankita Swaran wounded during altercation with Agent Rook following failed infiltration. Later interviews with Agent Rook confirm lack of awareness of Orpheus Protocol at this time.
  • Vampiric infighting in Houston leads to activation of Operation White Heart. Agent Rook reported stealing High Value Target [REDACTED]'s vehicle after their termination and fleeing under fire from other vampires.
  • Agent Rook resurfaces in California, performing freelance courier and smuggling duties for local paranatural factions.
    • Three separate failed intercepts of Agent Rook reported by Orpheus Agents. Two Agents are wounded during after a car accident, and stabilized by Agent Rook before being provided a warning.
    • Cell Leader Cameron Davis makes contact with Agent Rook, establishing a line of communications.
  • Agent Rook agrees to become an asset for Orpheus Protocol agents, providing intelligence in exchange for financial payment.
  • Agent Rook provides key information on a planned [REDACTED] in Las Vegas and provides critical physical assistance to Orpheus Protocol Agents during Operation Silver Gate.
    • Agent Rook becomes an Orpheus Protocol associate, and provides transportation and other support during several operations.
  • Agent Rook agrees to be formally instated as an Orpheus Protocol agent after significant negotiation.
Loyalty Assessment: Agent Rook is to be considered a YELLOW-GRADE RELIABILITY Asset. She has repeatedly worked against the interests of Orpheus Protocol and possesses no great loyalty to the agency. Her agreement to work for Orpheus Protocol is primarily based on monetary payment and steady supply of blood and limited moral agreement to Orpheus Protocol's mission. Her record for completing assigned tasks is however, largely impeccable regardless of unexpected opposition or attempted subversion. So long as she remains satisfied with her compensation, she is unlikely to betray the cause of the Orpheus Protocol.

Agent Rook retains contact with members of her former Army unit. This may prove a source of leverage if Agent Rook's reliability degrades.

Bond: Handler (Estranging)
- I figure that the character has someone specifically assigned to them to make sure they aren't going to go full killer robot, and that understandably, the character isn't a big fan of this person, because they're a constant reminder that everyone expects them to be a murder machine... just their murder machine.

Principle: Do No Harm
- Between both what they've been taught and what they've been programmed to do, the character believes they must always try to minimize the amount of pain, suffering, or injury they inflict with their actions.

Yes, the game is still open, but there are a few stipulations. You will need to accept what has been established so far (choices players have made for character creation, what we've agreed upon for the story, etc.), you will need to exhibit a moderate-high strength in clear communication through the English language (I would not accept posts that are full of typos or emoticons, illegible punctuation, or other such glaring errors), and you will need to embrace that this project is taking some time to get off the ground. We all have lives to live, while keeping up with this process.

I've been a little busy recently, but I intend to get things rolling soon. We've got major holidays coming up, so it might not be until January 2nd or 3rd.

Is this still open for another player? I am interested in a different style of game and am interested in this. I am flexible enough to probably find something that I would enjoy that can be slotted into the game.

Absolutely! Have you read up on what we've said so far?
I have, it's a small town infiltration/stealth/intelligence finding game. We are not going to be on the frontlines, and instead going to be infiltrating what amounts to a rich man's hunting club to determine the eldritch going ons in it and end up trapped in the town/location.

This indicates to me that a self sustainable character is probably needed. I will need some help with character creation likely and is there a discord for this yet?

Also for my archetypes I am leaning towards Hero/Psychic or Psychic/NEPHILIM, the ultimate grouping for me would be Hero/Psychic/NEPHILIM but thats not feasible at start it seems. So which of the two pairings would make for a smoother early game or be more interesting?

Last edited:
I have, it's a small town infiltration/stealth/intelligence finding game. We are not going to be on the frontlines, and instead going to be infiltrating what amounts to a rich man's hunting club to determine the eldritch going ons in it and end up trapped in the town/location.

This indicates to me that a self sustainable character is probably needed. I will need some help with character creation likely and is there a discord for this yet?

Also for my archetypes I am leaning towards Hero/Psychic or Psychic/NEPHILIM, the ultimate grouping for me would be Hero/Psychic/NEPHILIM but thats not feasible at start it seems. So which of the two pairings would make for a smoother early game or be more interesting?

First thing that jumps to mind is your impossible triple combo. The only Archetypes that can blend three ways are Soldier and Cyborg. "At start" isn't relevant. Aside from that, you've got all the basic information down, it seems. There is not a discord yet. I do not have the time available to moderate one, and we're not playing live, so I've been generally disinterested.

Before you get into archetype and stat details, the first thing we do is generate your Bond and your Principle. This will also help flesh out your character's personality.

the first thing we do is generate your Bond and your Principle
If I understand the context properly then Bond is an emotional connection while Principle is something that you follow. As for the bond I am not sure, my character wouldn't care directly about a group but would about Humanity as a macro whole, so sort of at a loss for that.

I would probably have as my Principle, "Justice, Order and Knowledge (Affirming)"

If I understand the context properly then Bond is an emotional connection while Principle is something that you follow. As for the bond I am not sure, my character wouldn't care directly about a group but would about Humanity as a macro whole, so sort of at a loss for that.

I would probably have as my Principle, "Justice, Order and Knowledge (Affirming)"

Alright, given your archetype choices and your Principle, I think I've got a sense of things. If you play a Hero/Psychic, perhaps your Bond could be to someone who exemplifies your Heroic ideals, a mentor figure of some sort. If you play a Psychic/Nephilim, the Bond could be to someone instrumental in your transformation, perhaps the one whose idea it was, or an artist, author, or philosopher whose work inspired yours.

Alright, given your archetype choices and your Principle, I think I've got a sense of things. If you play a Hero/Psychic, perhaps your Bond could be to someone who exemplifies your Heroic ideals, a mentor figure of some sort. If you play a Psychic/Nephilim, the Bond could be to someone instrumental in your transformation, perhaps the one whose idea it was, or an artist, author, or philosopher whose work inspired yours.
Both of those sound more than fitting, but could you give a bit of insight into what those two types would be like to play? Also just for the sake of completion what would Hero/Nephilim be? Probably going to retain psychic but I would like the complete info set, and only Hero/Nephilim/Psychic are interesting archetypes to me.

Both of those sound more than fitting, but could you give a bit of insight into what those two types would be like to play? Also just for the sake of completion what would Hero/Nephilim be? Probably going to retain psychic but I would like the complete info set, and only Hero/Nephilim/Psychic are interesting archetypes to me.

The Hero is big on flash. You can get bonuses to Luck checks (which otherwise would just be raw dice with no stat), perform Legendary Feats of strength, athleticism, etc., lead your friends, intimidate your enemies, stuff like that.

The Psychic is a big team player with crowd control options. Shutting people down, speaking to and reading the minds of others, things like that.

The Nephilim is big tank energy. Huge, hard to kill, can convert their spiritual integrity into physical integrity, can fire a blast of unholy death, lots of fun.

Also note that the one you put as your Primary Archetype is significant, because you only get the full usefulness of one Archetype until much later. The way this most shows is your Unique Mechanic, something you only get from your Primary. The Hero's unique is Destiny. You pick two Heroic Virtues, and when I deem that you've fulfilled a Virtue, you gain 3 Destiny, which can be spent to beef up your abilities.

The Nephilim's unique is Liminality. Depending whether your Liminality is positive or negative, you will be more affected by physical or spiritual things, and your physical or spiritual abilities will be more/less effective.

The Psychic's unique is Sympathetic Field, which they can use to gain added benefit from their abilities. For example, a Psychic with the Astral Projection ability can spend Humanity once per round to gain +1 Sympathetic Field. At +3, you gain +2 to Vigilance.

Back