Scouting for ORPHEUS Protocol (interest/recruit)

Hello SV! I am a long-time fan of a freshly released system called Orpheus Protocol -- been following the canon story in its podcast form for a few years -- and I'd like to mildly adapt it for use here, in a PbP format.

Orpheus Protocol was written by Rob Stith and published by Varcolac Press. It is a modern system focused on spycraft, the unnatural, and the world caught between. It's a sort of "fudge dice" system, in which you roll 3d6 and regard two sides as "-1", two as "+1," and two as "+0." Though it is not the kind of game with fantasy races, there are several delightfully flavorful Archetypes, which vacillate between race and class in their own ways. I will briefly list them below.

But first: what do I have in mind? I'd like to gather at least three people to assemble a Cell and get them going on assignments for the black-ops occult organization, ORPHEUS. We will first have a healthy discussion of the Archetypes and expectations for story and safety, then a little briefing on rules. The system is easier to just start into than to fully explain at once, and learn as you go. If there's enough people interested that we have 6 or more, I'm open to running you as a four-person Cell, a three-person and a two-person, or as 2+ Cells of three operatives each. Separate Cells will rarely cross paths in the story, but will be playing in the same world.

Please reply below and let me know how this strikes you. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Now, to entice you, 17 Archetypes paraphrased from the rulebook:

SOLDIER - Mundane; resource-efficient damage dealer at range or in melee; some powerful tactics and leadership abilities that benefit allies. Can be blended with up to two other Archetypes.

CYBORG - Mundane; similar to the Soldier (including that it is the only other Archetype you can blend with two others), more tanky but less useful in synergy. Defined by replacing parts of your body with cool mechanical upgrades.

DRAUGR - Melee damage dealer, stealthy and surprising, becomes powerful as the fight goes on and enemies bleed out.

EMANANT - Summoner with multiple pets, takes time to ramp, but with huge payoffs as a jack-of-all-trades and efficient user of the action economy.

HERMETICIST - The game's "bard," in a manner of speaking. A magi-scientist of sorts with access to healing, debuffs, and a Homunculus companion.

HERO - Melee powerhouse not remotely easy to take down, can stand up to offense, shut down status effects, fight off Horror, and waive bad luck. Like the Soldier, the Hero is skilled in tactics.

MEDIUM - A caster class with some spread in offense and utility support. The ace of info gathering and perception, can summon the dead, and shut down enemies.

NEPHILIM - The infusion of human anatomy and otherworldly malice, something like a Cyborg equivalent from the farthest reaches of reality; gains extreme tanking support from their bodily transformation, and can trade endurance for more damage up close. At range, strong damage and debuff power.

OCCULTIST - The sorcerer type, stealthy and good at infiltration, but remarkably good at physical survival (at the cost of "softer" stats).

PATHOKINETIC - The social god, many debuffs and support options. The last word in person-to-person utility.

PSYCHIC - Info gatherer with ranged debuffs and psionic attacks.

TELEKINETIC - Ranged damage dealer, difficult to take down up close.

TRUE FAITH - Something of a Paladin, excellent healing of self and group, and great survival options.

VAMPIRE THRALL - Supports many ways of play, including melee damage, mobility, and ranged debuffs, but lacking in options for utility and party support.

WEAPON BEARER - Melee or Ranged damage dealer, consistent attacker, mitigates defenses, personally has high defense values.

WEREWOLF - Virtues of the Nephilim and Draugr to different degrees; a transforming bruiser with high defense and mobility. Like the Emanant, it takes time to get rolling, but is difficult for enemies to stop when it hits full steam.

WITCH - Buff/debuff focused, lacks direct offensive or defensive potential, provides first-rate disruptive effects and strong buffs for self and party.

I elected to put a simplified version of the character creation process here, rather than post it several times over. Here you go!

Step 1: Create your Bond, Principle, and Fear. Your Bond is a relationship or emotional investment you have in an individual, a group, or an organization. How it makes your character feel does not need to be mutual. Bonds are either Affirming or Estranging. Affirming Bonds help you pull close to what makes you human. Estranging Bonds are what about humanity you are driven to separate yourself from. Examples: "My Little Brother (Protective Concern, Affirming), or The Cult I Escaped (Fearful Hatred, Estranging).

Principles are strong beliefs your character has, which can also be Estranging or Affirming. Examples: The Strong Must Prey On The Weak (Estranging), or The Strong Are Valued By How They Treat The Weak (Affirming).

Fears are a rational or irrational opposition your character has when confronting something. They are neither Affirming nor Estranging, and unlike the Bonds/Principles, are not something you use. I do, as Director. Examples: Fear of Clowns, Fear of Heights, Fear of Mob Mentality.

Characters may also start the game with up to two Flaws. Each Flaw may impose a penalty on you, between -1 and -3. Tell me what Flaws you have, if any, and I'll let you know what the penalty would be, before you commit to the decision permanently. When it inconveniences you, there is a once-per session benefit. Since we'll be playing in forum, I will be adjudicating when this refreshes.
*-1 Flaw: Refresh 1 Strain of type you choose.
*-2 Flaw: Refresh 2 Strain, you choose type(s).
*-3 Flaw: Gain a Memento Mori. Powerful, I will explain further during game.

Step 2: Attributes
Characters begin the game with 15 AP (Attribute Points). There are 2 Mind Attributes, 2 Body Attributes, and 2 Spirit Attributes for you to spend them on. The human maximum for an Attribute is 5, and the minimum is 0.
The Attributes are:
Perception (Mind) - General awareness, used in Awareness checks, Ranged attacks, and observation.
Focus (Mind) - Analysis, cognition, and thinking clearly under duress. Determines Clarity track, used in Knowledge Skills, grants Acuity bonus, factors into Initiative, and sometimes helps on Horror through Discipline.
Dexterity (Body) - Balance, quickness, and precision. Used in Evade, Initiative, Athletics, Attacks, and other forms of competence.
Vitality (Body) - Raw power and resilience. Determines Health track, used in Melee attack, grants Toughness bonus, used in checks requiring hardiness, and other types of competence.
Charisma (Spirit) - Force of personality. Used in social checks, largely determines your ability to socially influence.
Willpower (Spirit) - Strength of your will. Determines Stress track, used in Stability checks and Initiative. Grants Force of Will bonus.
Step 3: Skills
You begin with 35 CSP and 35 NCSP (Combat Skill and Non-Combat Skill respectively). Spend them on improving your Skills and acquiring new ones. Rank D in a skill costs 1 point of the appropriate type.

Rank C costs +2 extra points, Rank B costs +3 extra points on top of C, Rank A costs +4 extra points on top of B, and S costs +5 extra points on top of A. A character may not improve more than two Combat Skills to rank A during character creation, and only one of those two can be further improved to rank S. A character may not improve any non-combat Skill more than three times each at creation.

Rank D skills can spend up to 2 Strain to boost rolls, gaining +1 to the check for each Strain spent. Higher ranks have additional benefits I will explain later. For now, just decide what skills you want to be better than the rest.

Combat Skill List:
Athletics (D/V), Attack, Awareness (Per), Dodge, Discipline (Foc), Stability (Will), and Stealth (Dex).

NC Skill List:
Cybersecurity (Foc), Deception (Cha), Drive (D/C), Empathy (C/P), Endurance (Vit), First Aid (Dex), Intimidation (C/V), Investigation (P/F), Knowledge or Craft (F/D/C), Languages (Foc), Might (Vit), Presence (Cha), Security (D/P/F), and Sleight of Hand (Dex).

Examples of Knowledge:
Cryptography, Psychology, Forensics, Underworld, Occult (has special benefits and drawbacks, distinct from Eldritch).

Step 4: Backgrounds

Choose one of the following: Scientist, Occult Scholar, Logistics Operator, Criminal, Turned Cultist, Combat Veteran, Medical Professional, Intelligence Asset, Cyber Security, or Civilian/Custom.

Scientist gives you the following automatically, without spending Skill Points: Empathy (D), Investigation and Knowledge (Academia)(C on each), Knowledge (choose a Science type)(B), and Combat Skill Bonus (Discipline).

Occult Scholar gives you: Knowledge (Eldritch)(D), Investigation and Empathy (C on each), Knowledge (Occult)(B), and CSB (Stability).

Logistics Operator gives you: Security (D), Cybersecurity and Knowledge (Military)(C on each), Knowledge (Tradecraft)(B), and CSB (Stability).

Criminal gives you: Deception (D), Knowledge (Underworld) and Security (C on each), Intimidation (B), and CSB (Stealth).

Turned Cultist gives you: Knowledge (Eldritch)(D), Knowledge Occult and Empathy (C on each), Deception (B), and CSB (Stealth).

Combat Veteran gives you: Might (D), Intimidation and First Aid (C on each), Endurance (B), and CSB (Athletics).

Medical Professional gives you: Investigation (D), Knowledge (Medicine) and Empathy (C on each), First Aid (B), and CSB (Stability).

Intelligence Asset gives you: Cybersecurity (D), Deception and Security (C on each), Empathy (B), and CSB (Awareness).

Cyber Security gives you: Knowledge (Deep Web)(D), Investigation and Knowledge (Computers)(C on each), Cybersecurity (B), and CSB (Discipline).

If you are a Civilian or take a Custom Background, you get 1 NC Skill in Rank D, 2 NC Skills in Rank C, 1 NC Skill in Rank B, and 1 Combat Skill Bonus of your choosing.
You begin the game at Level 0, with a limited number of Archetypes. Normally, this is no more than 2. However, Cyborg or Soldier can be added as a third, and if you really sell me on it, I'm authorized to let you take both, as well as two other Archetypes (but you can only start with 3). I've already described them in brief, above.

The way you do this is select 3 Archetype Abilities to put 1 Rank in. Alternately, you may put 2 Ranks in one Ability, and the last one in another Ability. Or you can just dump all 3 Ranks into one Ability, but I don't recommend this as it really limits your options. Additionally, each Archetype has a Unique Mechanic that defines its abilities and is fueled by them. You only get 1 Unique Mechanic until later, so pick which Archetype is your Primary Archetype. You get the Unique Mechanic from that one.

Below, I summarize what this looks like for each. If you're really stuck, I can spell out what an Ability does. I will not be writing them all out in full. That is many pages of information, no matter how I do it. If you want a fill-in, the Beta version is free on the Orpheus Protocol website.

Soldier
Unique Mechanic: Training Discipline (you start with 10 Training Points to burn in place of Strain, and you can gain 5-10 more during each downtime; you do not gain Training Discipline from use of abilities)
Ability: CQC Training (spend Strain to grant Rate of Fire to your light melee attacks; L2 grants one called shot with RoF as well; L3 passively grants a +2 instead of your attack roll, once per scene)
Ability: Combat Tactician (spend Strain/Initiative for bonuses in Tactics; L3 passively lets you reduce Initiative cost of a Tactics maneuver or Tactics attack by 1)
Ability: Field Experience (beat ties in combat without spending Strain; costs 2 Humanity to gain, and higher Ranks cost more; L2 ignores all negative dice on Initiative as well, and L3 modifies Full Defense to grant +2 to defense, instead of +1)
Ability: Firearms Training (spend Strain to reduce penalties on ranged attacks, and not just firearms; L3 replaces one Ranged Attack roll per scene with a +2 result)
Ability: Focus, Commitment, Sheer Will (passively ignore some Stress and Humanity loss from Horror checks prompted by Danger or violent actions you take, and gain +1 to Grit checks; higher ranks add to this in value and variety; FCSW costs Humanity investment to take)
Ability: Intelligence Training (spend Strain to gain stealth/surveillance bonuses; higher ranks improve this)

Cyborg
Unique Mechanic: Predictive Algorithm (+1 Tactics bonus at the end of each round, to all combat checks directly opposing entities you were aware of for the full round, and which are primarily physical in nature, stacking to max +3 at ends of subsequent rounds. Once per round, you may spend 2 Mental and/or Physical strain to increase your Predictive Algorithm bonus by +1; full rules include more benefits)
Ability: Enhanced Optical Targeting Systems (invest Humanity to take; improves your attacks for each previous attack you made since engaging OTS, max +3; higher ranks further augment how you attack)
When you engage OTS, you may spend 2 Humanity to increase Predictive Algorithm bonus by +1.
Ability: Integrated Projectile Weapon (you have a subsonic Gauss gun in your arm; I'll explain the rules if you take it)
When you have +1 or more from Predictive Algorithm, on additional (RoF) shots taken in one action, the accuracy penalty to each is 1 less severe than normal.
Ability: Integrated Life Support Systems (daily Physical heal; improves with Ranks)
You passively have +1 Toughness for Strain based damage reduction as long as you have at least +1 Predictive Algorithm bonus)
Ability: Integrated Stealth Technology (spend Strain to gain Stealth bonuses)
If you are at +3 Predictive Algorithm when you emerge from stealth affected by IST, enemy attacks suffer -3 to hit you until your next turn.
Ability: Overcharge (invest Humanity to take; you may spend Physical Strain to gain bonuses to melee attacks, Might, Athletics, and Parry)
While under this effect, your Predictive Algorithm bonus applies to Evade value as well.
Ability: Subdermal Armor (improves Armor and Toughness)
When at +3 Predictive Algorithm, your systems run perfectly, granting +2 additional Armor.

For the other Archetypes, see the spoiler tabs below.

Step 6
Now we just have some housekeeping on your attributes.
Your Melee Attack is (Dex+Vit)/2.
Your Ranged Attack is (Dex+Per)/2.
Your Unnatural Attack (if applicable) is (Per + Will or Foc)/2.
Evade = (Dex+Per)/2.
Parry = (Dex+Vit)/2.
Vigilance = (Per+Foc)/2.
Wariness = (Cha + Will or Foc)/2.
Speed = (Dex+Vit)/2.
Acuity = If you have 3 Foc, you have 1 Acuity. If you have 5 Foc, Acuity is +1 higher than that.
Toughness = Same as Acuity, but references Vit instead of Foc.
Force of Will = Same as above, but references Will instead of Foc.
Tactical Acumen = +1 for each point of Acuity.
Initiative = Sum of the 2 highest of the following: Focus, Willpower, Dexterity. There are other bonuses that apply.

Last edited:
Interested; will this be run purely on SV or will there be a discord server?

Interested; will this be run purely on SV or will there be a discord server?

I'd be willing to look into a discord situation for parallel, but I'm intending to play strictly PbP, on this site. I don't have the schedule right now for a live game.

Edit: Above post got huge. All further Character Creation info will be in the spoiler tabs below.

Draugr
Unique Mechanic: Hunger (when you Bleed an enemy or worsen their Bleeding, gain +1 Hunger, max 4. Hunger expires at the end of each scene.
Hunger 1 - +1d3/0 damage to melee attacks.
Hunger 2 - +2d3/0 to yours, and +1d3/0 to those may be others within 1 area of you.
Hunger 3 - +3d3/0 to yours, and same as above.
Hunger 4 - +4d3/0 to yours, and +2d3/0 to others.
Ability: Alacrity (bonus to Athletics and Melee; lets you spend 1 Hunger on it instead of 2 Strain)
Ability: Anthropophagy (eat people to heal yourself; at end of a scene in which Anthropophagy damaged someone, you may spend 1 Humanity for each point of Hunger you have, to preserve that many points of Hunger into the next scene)
Ability: Bitter Gale (spend Initiative to frustrate ranged attacks and drain people's Initiative; you may spend up to 4 Hunger Points, to make those who lose Initiative to Bitter Gale lose +1 more Initiative for every 2 Hunger Points spent)
Ability: Bloodlust (make people Bleed more; you may spend up to 4 Hunger to deal 1d3 physical damage upon using this ability)
Ability: Hungry Shadows (Stealth for a whole scene; if you hit with a light weapon while this is active, you may spend Hunger to increase the victim's Bleed)
Ability: Frigid Blood (immune to Bleeding and Burning for the scene, +1 Toughness, but penalized on Evade and Athletics; you may spend Hunger while in this state to gain more Toughness)

Emanant
Unique Mechanic: Substance (see under the abilities)
Ability: Disruptor Thoughtform (summon a buddy to interfere at a distance, gaining Substance when it hits; spend 1 Substance when it takes damage to ignore the Luck check for auto-losing the Thoughtform, and you can invest Substance to make the Thoughtform more powerful)
Ability: Guardian Thoughtform (summon a buddy to defend you or allies; gain Substance when it successfully defends, spend Substance like with Disruptor)
Ability: Hunter-Killer Thoughtform (summon a buddy to seek and attack your enemies; gain Substance when it hits, spend Substance like with Disruptor)
Ability: Mender Thoughtform (like Guardian, but it heals people instead of defending)
Ability: Scout Thoughtform (summon a buddy to fly and phase about, relaying information to you; gain Substance when your Scout beats an enemy's Stealth, or beats their Vigilance with the Scout's Stealth; spend Substance as usual)
Ability: Legion (useless without other abilities; fuse with your Thoughtforms to gain bonuses from them; using Legion gains you Substance)

It's late here. I'll come edit this with more info when I get the chance.

Last edited:
I'm tentatively interested. I admit I'm a bit of a sucker for vampires, and occult black-ops is more my style than most urban fantasy. And apparently I picked up the rulebook at some point?

But I'd like more information on the setting-occult spycraft and some example archetypes isn't a whole lot to go on, even if the varied assortment catches my eye.

I'm tentatively interested. I admit I'm a bit of a sucker for vampires, and occult black-ops is more my style than most urban fantasy. And apparently I picked up the rulebook at some point?

But I'd like more information on the setting-occult spycraft and some example archetypes isn't a whole lot to go on, even if the varied assortment catches my eye.

I second this - I might be interested, but I'm not getting the vibe of the game from the description.

I second this - I might be interested, but I'm not getting the vibe of the game from the description.

Reasonable requests. I haven't put too much work in, since I didn't know if anyone would take an interest. I welcome both of you to check out Rob's podcast, though I intend to do something fairly original rather than directly ape the show.

It's also worth mention that my intent was to discuss with confirmed players what their interests and disinterests are, and shape a good game from there. Even so, I can gladly fill in some gaps for you two.

I would like to play the game in the mid-late 90's or early 2000's, where the Internet is becoming more prominent but high-speed connections and smartphones are far from ubiquitous. The standard format of the system is for each of you to be recruited by the Orpheus Protocol and put to use as assets on assignment, but I've listened to several games at this point, many of which do not run that way. If the players are most interested in something less directly involved with Orpheus itself, there are other ways we can spin this -- shows like IT and Stranger things come to mind, and doing a sort of "X-men but darker and more serious" would always be a thrill for me.

You both are interested so far; what would you most like to see in a game of suspense, action, and supernatural violence and disgust?

Reasonable requests. I haven't put too much work in, since I didn't know if anyone would take an interest. I welcome both of you to check out Rob's podcast, though I intend to do something fairly original rather than directly ape the show.

It's also worth mention that my intent was to discuss with confirmed players what their interests and disinterests are, and shape a good game from there. Even so, I can gladly fill in some gaps for you two.

I would like to play the game in the mid-late 90's or early 2000's, where the Internet is becoming more prominent but high-speed connections and smartphones are far from ubiquitous. The standard format of the system is for each of you to be recruited by the Orpheus Protocol and put to use as assets on assignment, but I've listened to several games at this point, many of which do not run that way. If the players are most interested in something less directly involved with Orpheus itself, there are other ways we can spin this -- shows like IT and Stranger things come to mind, and doing a sort of "X-men but darker and more serious" would always be a thrill for me.
Ah...It's just that this is a little known indie game rpg from a podcast I've never heard of. It can be kinda difficult to be interested in something you know nothing about. Like, what's the actual show this is based off about? Investigative horror-ish, or something else? What even is the Orpheus Protocol? They kinda sound like an eviler SCP foundation from the Drivethrurpg description.

The archetype descriptions make this sound kinda D&D 4e esque tactical combat focused, but it looks to have a humanity, horror and social system at a glance? And zones?
You both are interested so far; what would you most like to see in a game of suspense, action, and supernatural violence and disgust?
That's a pretty broad question? Alan Wake, Vampyr, Hellsing, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Shadowrun all kinda fall under that descriptor.

Although I like my shlocky, Nazi vampires getting shot up with holy bayonets and autocannon shells well enough, I generally lean toward more grounded, arguably 'grittier' stories with lower, more personal stakes and a focus on the mundane and 'human' element-when I write urban fantasy myself I tend to go for a sort of 'mundane fantastic' feel, like how the secret societies actually get their funding and recruit. I've always been more interested in exploring culture and personal stories than saving the world or high level political stuff. I like games where the players are party of an organization, as it tends to ground them in the world more. Plus I do have a fondness for being 'tacticool' and all. I like action and especially socializing, and have a fondness for horror. Investigation can be interesting and is a good fit for urban fantasy, but I find many players aren't very good at it.

Last edited:
Here, have some sauce

The vibe I get for ORPHEUS the organisation is more Delta Green than SCP Foundation. Put me down as another vote for a more low-key narrative. I'd definitely go more noir than pulp, as it were.

And having said all that, wouldn't a femme fatale (pathokinetic) who also happens to be a Nephilim be kinda cool?

Last edited:
Ah...It's just that this is a little known indie game rpg from a podcast I've never heard of. It can be kinda difficult to be interested in something you know nothing about. Like, what's the actual show this is based off about? Investigative horror-ish, or something else? What even is the Orpheus Protocol? They kinda sound like an eviler SCP foundation from the Drivethrurpg description.

The archetype descriptions make this sound kinda D&D 4e esque tactical combat focused, but it looks to have a humanity, horror and social system at a glance? And zones?

That's a pretty broad question? Alan Wake, Vampyr, Hellsing, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Shadowrun all kinda fall under that descriptor.

Although I like my shlocky, Nazi vampires getting shot up with holy bayonets and autocannon shells well enough, I generally lean toward more grounded, arguably 'grittier' stories with lower, more personal stakes and a focus on the mundane and 'human' element-when I write urban fantasy myself I tend to go for a sort of 'mundane fantastic' feel, like how the secret societies actually get their funding and recruit. I've always been more interested in exploring culture and personal stories than saving the world or high level political stuff. I like games where the players are party of an organization, as it tends to ground them in the world more. Plus I do have a fondness for being 'tacticool' and all. I like action and especially socializing, and have a fondness for horror. Investigation can be interesting and is a good fit for urban fantasy, but I find many players aren't very good at it.

In a nutshell, the Orpheus Protocol podcast begins with a Cyborg with a tragic past, a Witch with family ties that run deep, and an amoral Occultist with the world's worst ex-boyfriend, recruited by a capitalist doomsday organization trying desperately to profit off of the worst elements clinging to the underside of our reality. They bust cults, interview murderers for clues on deeper horrors, and confront treason, mind-breaking realities, and sins of the past. Kensai gave the link to the show, so you can give it a listen for more information than that.

The combat is crunchy and tactical, but the game's overall focus is on the degradation of your character's Humanity, and what decisions you make to mitigate or embrace that. Think of it like D&D for a moment; there's the exploration phase and the combat phase. Whereas Orpheus Protocol replaces the epic adventure of the exploration phase with social commentary and deep-state intrigue, peppered with confronting cults seeking monstrous apotheosis.

Let me see if I have a sense of what you'd like. We could do a limited-scale game focused on a small town, a business complex, or a get-together at a wealthy man's country estate, any of which would give us prime real-estate for deep social encounters and person-to-person exploration, with underlying evils waiting to be brought to light. The framing event could be a murder mystery, a meeting to have a Last Will and Testament read, or the host's wicked scheme to expose the sins of every invited guest...just as a few examples. How'd I do?

Here, have some sauce

The vibe I get for ORPHEUS the organisation is more Delta Green than SCP Foundation. Put me down as another vote for a more low-key narrative. I'd definitely go more noir than pulp, as it were.

And having said all that, wouldn't a femme fatale (pathokinetic) who also happens to be a Nephilim be kinda cool?

Definitely heard. The system does really well on a small scale. As for your character suggestion, would you prefer to lean on the patho or the Nephilim more heavily?

Charm prevents targets from taking offensive action and has them help instead; it can be used for tanking. This pairs well with Nephilim Metamorphosis: Gigantic Stature, which makes you stronger, tougher, and grants temp Health.

Unearthly Insight exposes the Motivations of the target, and their lies. When mastered, it unravels the target's combat style before you, making it easier to attack or defend against them. This pairs well with Nephilim Metamorphosis: Unnatural Weapons, which improves your unarmed attacks and bolsters damage, also dazing your target.

Nullify protects the Pathokinetic against emotional or social manipulation. This pairs well with Nephilim Metamorphosis: Raiment of Dead Stars, which grants Armor and greater reduction of Health and Stress damage.

And then there's the unique mechanic. If you pick Pathokinetic as your primary Archetype, Unity will make repeat exposures more vulnerable to your manipulation, more willing to serve you. It grants bonuses to your Presence and Intimidation (valuable for a Nephilim mix), and can be burnt for a +3 bonus to Evade and Parry against them, and to Discipline and Stability checks against them. Very handy for a mix with Unnatural Weapons.

Whereas, you could go with Nephilim as your primary Archetype, and take Liminality as your unique mechanic. Certain Nephilim abilities are stronger in Dark Liminality or Flesh Liminality, and you are protected against certain forms of harm. For example, Diadem of Slain Gods sets you back -1 Liminality when you succeed a Skill check with it. If this puts you in Dark Liminality, your Intimidation and Presence checks get a +1 bonus, and you may reset to +0 Liminality at any time to force Breakdown on those affected by the Diadem. Very handy for a Patho mix.

Oof, got to be honest and say that a lot of that went over my head, since I don't own a copy of the rules.

That said, I figure a +3 bonus is pretty massive since the game uses three FUDGE dice. Even a +1 is a pretty big deal with that probability curve.

But I'm primarily a narrativist so I'm just going to go with the kind of story I want to tell, of a woman who's torn between two selves. I'll lean into Patho and keep the Nephilim as a very nasty body horror backup.

Got a few ideas, but Cyborg jumped out at minimum, though I'm open to shifting what I'd play depending on the other party/campaign.

Got a few ideas, but Cyborg jumped out at minimum, though I'm open to shifting what I'd play depending on the other party/campaign.

Cyborg is very cool. My only request is that you don't put everything into Subdermal Armor starting out, because a Cyborg with no Implanted Weapon, no Enhanced Optical Targeting, just armor; that's a boring Cyborg. Let's hear the other ideas, though!

Same question as I asked Floom! Glad to have you onboard.

I don't exactly have the rulebook on me, nor am I aware of how to gain access to the rules. I did find the Alpha ruleset, but I noticed that they didn't have all of the archetypes, and didn't actually fully describe the system in detail.

As to the character itself, like I said, it'll depend an awful lot on the exact setting you had in mind, but I was mostly thinking about going with some kind of designer baby/cyborg style deal, or maybe even just full android if that's possible, with the twist being that the character is a robot given human parts as augmentations rather than the other way around.

I don't exactly have the rulebook on me, nor am I aware of how to gain access to the rules. I did find the Alpha ruleset, but I noticed that they didn't have all of the archetypes, and didn't actually fully describe the system in detail.

As to the character itself, like I said, it'll depend an awful lot on the exact setting you had in mind, but I was mostly thinking about going with some kind of designer baby/cyborg style deal, or maybe even just full android if that's possible, with the twist being that the character is a robot given human parts as augmentations rather than the other way around.

The full system's available on Drivethrurpg, relatively inexpensive. If that's not affordable, I will gladly fill in gaps the Alpha rules cannot. Just ask questions and I'll answer freely. Full android isn't exactly possible, but a robot given human augmentations is a fascinating new take. We can just turn the flavor of all the features in the opposite direction. Predictive Algorithm becomes Synthesized Neurology, Implanted Weapon becomes Concealed Cannon, and so on.

Er, with all due respect, I don't plan on purchasing the rules.

So how exactly are characters made?

Er, with all due respect, I don't plan on purchasing the rules.

So how exactly are characters made?
I have edited my top two posts with abridged information. See the spoiler tabs. As for the rest of that, I can certainly handle the more rules-intense side of things when we play, but if you join on, I will draft something up so that you have a character sheet and cheat sheet you can easily understand, and reference during play.

If that's not sufficient, then I don't know how to help you further.

Same question as I asked Floom! Glad to have you onboard.
Honestly I wanted to see what everyone else came with first, I usually play a support character but if that role is filled I will probably go with werewolf. Fully thinking about it I would like to go with werewolf after all

Also a question
Are we locked from the Archetypes we dont take? Or those can be gained later?

Last edited:
Alright, got a quick question: I see Tactics popping up pretty consistently, but I notice that that isn't a skill. What exactly is tactics, and what does it do in the system?

Honestly I wanted to see what everyone else came with first, I usually play a support character but if that role is filled I will probably go with werewolf. Fully thinking about it I would like to go with werewolf after all

Also a question
Are we locked from the Archetypes we dont take? Or those can be gained later?

Werewolf is very cool. Right now we're looking at Pathokinetic and Cyborg, so the support Archetypes are still available. If you take only a single Archetype, you may add a second one at any point that a level-up grants you an Archetype ability. Which one you can take is story-dependent. For example, Vampire, Werewolf, Draugr, and Cyborg require something physical of you. Becoming a Telekinetic or a Medium isn't something you can just choose for yourself in-story, so what happens to your character would have to justify it in the Director's eyes. Becoming a Nephilim is virtually impossible in lore without an incredibly risky and complicated process, so while we have some room to avoid that for players starting as one, there's really nothing in game that would lead to you adding Nephilim.

If you already have two Archetypes, and those do not include Cyborg and/or Soldier, you are locked out. Unless you draw on your military training to add Soldier ranks, or are cybernetically modified in-story, you cannot take more Ranks.

Alright, got a quick question: I see Tactics popping up pretty consistently, but I notice that that isn't a skill. What exactly is tactics, and what does it do in the system?

The short explanation is that Tactics is another form of attack. Attacks fill the target's Health, Clarity, or Sanity tracks, leading to their death. Tactics Attacks instead impose penalties on the target's next move. Maybe you kick their leg out from under them, or shoot their tire to make them spin out. Things like that.

If you already have two Archetypes, and those do not include Cyborg and/or Soldier, you are locked out. Unless you draw on your military training to add Soldier ranks, or are cybernetically modified in-story, you cannot take more Ranks.
Oh shit, okay sorry, I meant the other thing, the Archetype Abilities, like partial transformation and pack hunter

Last edited:
Oh shit, okay sorry, I meant the other thing, the Archetype Abilities, like partial transformation and pack hunter

My mistake. I misunderstood what you said. The Abilities, no, you will not be locked out of. All the same, I still ask that you not take 3 ranks in a subtle ability like Subdermal Armor starting out, foregoing any others until level-up. Makes for boring play when you don't have an active ability that does something cool.

Back