Scouting for ORPHEUS Protocol (interest/recruit)

I am, but I don't have the rulebook so I'd really need to be walked through character creation.

Still interested, and my schedule is generally pretty free next month. I'll see about creating a character, but I would like to ask if you have any campaign details/setting that you think we should be aware of before we make our characters. Like, how did the party meet, what their main objectives are, etc.

Still interested, and my schedule is generally pretty free next month. I'll see about creating a character, but I would like to ask if you have any campaign details/setting that you think we should be aware of before we make our characters. Like, how did the party meet, what their main objectives are, etc.

As stated before, I do not have anything as this was just to see who's interested. My plan for such things was to discuss amongst the group and determine what you guys want to play.

Alright, I've got a general concept for the character I'm thinking about making. Cyborg/Soldier with a Melee Combat tilt, with the concept of the character being a reverse cyborg, where they were a robot who was modified with human parts rather than a human with robot parts, probably in a highly questionably ethical attempt at creating an artificial soldier without having to deal with the fact that humans don't adapt very well to having too many robot parts.

That being said, I'm hesitant to actually get to creating a full sheet without knowing what the campaign setting is, since the Bonds/Motivations sections seems like it'd heavily depend on the context of the campaign.

As stated before, I do not have anything as this was just to see who's interested. My plan for such things was to discuss amongst the group and determine what you guys want to play.
At least personally, that's made it difficult for me to invest. This is a weird new thing, and there's just not really been a clear pitch to latch onto. I don't watch podcasts, so the suggestion to watch the show didn't really appeal. Even the rulebook doesn't have a setting section, bizarrely. So it's just vague urban fantasy, spy, and (apparently?) cosmic horror vibes. Going straight toward character creation before figuring out the campaign also seems...Difficult? So far the clearest description and pitch has been from this Rob Stith interview which seems pretty cool? But we might not be doing that, so...🤷‍♂️

I was considering adapting an idea from a novel I was working on for my PC, since the game's set in the 2000s. 'Rook', who'd probably fall under the Vampire Thrall/Soldier archetypes. Former US Army, served as a logistics driver in Afganistan before being turned by a vampire looking for a competent fighter. Splits her own way, working as a mercenary, joins up with Orpheus Protocol for the money or survival or...something?

But I've been uncertain about adapting because of that 'something'. There's nothing here as of yet so I've been waiting for more info to bite into.

Iunno, maybe it's a normal thing elsewhere, but "Who wants to play D&D? Make your characters, we'll figure out if it's a dungeon crawl in Faerun or dodging Strahd in Ravenloft later" would seem equally odd to me.
Let me see if I have a sense of what you'd like. We could do a limited-scale game focused on a small town, a business complex, or a get-together at a wealthy man's country estate, any of which would give us prime real-estate for deep social encounters and person-to-person exploration, with underlying evils waiting to be brought to light. The framing event could be a murder mystery, a meeting to have a Last Will and Testament read, or the host's wicked scheme to expose the sins of every invited guest...just as a few examples. How'd I do?
Let's go back to this. That's a decent adventure, I guess? I do find investigations can be risky for games but it's a classic set-up, decent variety of activities going on. But...not really what I was getting back at, I think?

Let me go over a few things that had me curious about Orpheus Protocol.
1. Part of an Organization. I like feeling like I'm part of a bigger world, and being a part of an organization appeals to that part of my brain. To make a comparison, being a member of the Inquisition in Dark Heresy appeals to me more than being random mercenaries hired on a job*. Or for a deeper cut, in the Nocturne video game, the glimpses of the Spookhouse organization, like when you're back at base or working with a partner draw me in more than if the protagonist was a lone anti-hero.
*I've done 'random mercenaries in the underhive' games before, but that was very focused on exploring underhive culture and making the world bigger that way.

2. Paramilitary and spy themes. I like urban fantasy stuff, but the usual 'occult detective' stuff is pretty meh to me, or just being a bunch of backbiters like in a lot of VTM games. But I like my tacticool, and it's fresh.

3. Eclectic cast. I like my variety. Having a vampire amid a group of non-vampires seems more interesting to me than everyone being the same. I expect it allows a deeper dive into a lot of themes than could otherwise be done if everyone had similar issues.

4. I can play a vampire. It's simple, but I like vampires.

5. Horror, not weakness. I like the aspect, from the interviews, of dealing with horror without just being powerless. I've always preferred my Dead Spaces to my Amnesias, to draw a comparison.

6. Tactical combat, and stuff besides combat? I like combat that's dynamic-a rarity in the market. I also like seeing actual rules for things besides combat, even if I haven't dug into them.

I guess if we're just...Trying to figure out what people like, I guess I'll spitball some. These are just things I do for my own stuff-As I said before, I enjoyed Hellsing, with its over the top insanity which the following list is...not.
1. Gritty, not cold. I like a gun being dangerous*, I like having to be challenged and not superheroes, I like to have to struggle with personal issues. I also like to be able to crack a joke, or lean on a friend.
*Though a lot of people confuse 'dangerous' with lethal. I'm not really a big fan of super lethal stuff-Getting shot in the leg and having to drag yourself toward cover is way grittier and more interesting than instant-death.

2. Grounded. 'Realism' is often problematic, but I enjoy making nods toward reality Where does the black helicopter budget come from? How does a vampire ethically acquire blood, when there's already medical shortages? I'm currently on a Weird War 2 game, and been researching real life Nazi infighting between occultist and anti-occultist factions just because I like grounding that sort of stuff.

3. Cultural exploration and humanity. The most fun and memorable scene we did in a fantasy game I ran back in the day was not the night time battle against a horde of monstrous mutants to protect a prisoner, but the bit where we sat down for dinner and got the story of some foreigners from a different culture. I like the little moments of humanity, and I like seeing how secret societies and ancient conspiracies function. It probably ties into that 'part of a bigger world' thing.

4. Relatively low stakes. Again, probably falls into 'part of a bigger world'. To use a war story as an example, I'm happy to take a strategically important village over sword fighting the enemy general, and I'm more invested in helping a family find their missing son than I am blowing up the death star. I'm happy to save the day, cast an arch-devil back to the abyss or whatever, but even then more 'right man in the right place', rather than the world just revolving around me.

Last edited:
Honestly after reading the rules a bit more I was planning to run a Werewolf/Hero character, but why dont we discuss the setting first?

If I had to vote I would like a 'broken masquerade' one, leading to the partial collapse of civilization where cities turn hostile towards each other (Less focus on investigation and more on survival), maybe as a mercenaries or as members of a city trying to survive, I dunno. But I am okay with playing other campaigns as well if anyone has other ideas.

Alright, I've got a general concept for the character I'm thinking about making. Cyborg/Soldier with a Melee Combat tilt, with the concept of the character being a reverse cyborg, where they were a robot who was modified with human parts rather than a human with robot parts, probably in a highly questionably ethical attempt at creating an artificial soldier without having to deal with the fact that humans don't adapt very well to having too many robot parts.

That being said, I'm hesitant to actually get to creating a full sheet without knowing what the campaign setting is, since the Bonds/Motivations sections seems like it'd heavily depend on the context of the campaign.

Cyborg/Soldier is a great ol' reliable, and the twist you're throwing in will make things really exciting to play out. I'd enjoy seeing your thoughts on what Shephard and Teyao have posted.

At least personally, that's made it difficult for me to invest. This is a weird new thing, and there's just not really been a clear pitch to latch onto. I don't watch podcasts, so the suggestion to watch the show didn't really appeal. Even the rulebook doesn't have a setting section, bizarrely.

The system is primarily intended for a combination of "testing human resolve" and "inter-departmental intrigue" with an overall presence of spy thriller/occult thriller. However, it is intended to be flexible to a wider variety of uses, which is why everything you two have suggested is viable.

I was considering adapting an idea from a novel I was working on for my PC, since the game's set in the 2000s. 'Rook', who'd probably fall under the Vampire Thrall/Soldier archetypes. Former US Army, served as a logistics driver in Afganistan before being turned by a vampire looking for a competent fighter. Splits her own way, working as a mercenary, joins up with Orpheus Protocol for the money or survival or...something?

We may not be playing with the Orpheus organization proper, since it looks like you two would prefer to be more of outside actors. Other than that, I'm really resonating with what you wrote here.

Let's go back to this. That's a decent adventure, I guess? I do find investigations can be risky for games but it's a classic set-up, decent variety of activities going on. But...not really what I was getting back at, I think?

The "this" in question being a limited-scale game focused on a small town, a business complex, or a get-together at a wealthy man's country estate; with the framing event being something like: a murder mystery, a meeting to have a Last Will and Testament read, or the host's wicked scheme to expose the sins of every invited guest. Any particular leaning into one or more of those descriptors?

1. Part of an Organization. I like feeling like I'm part of a bigger world, and being a part of an organization appeals to that part of my brain. To make a comparison, being a member of the Inquisition in Dark Heresy appeals to me more than being random mercenaries hired on a job*. Or for a deeper cut, in the Nocturne video game, the glimpses of the Spookhouse organization, like when you're back at base or working with a partner draw me in more than if the protagonist was a lone anti-hero.
*I've done 'random mercenaries in the underhive' games before, but that was very focused on exploring underhive culture and making the world bigger that way.

It will be challenging for me to put this into our game, since I'm getting strong signals that digging into the intrigue of a shadow corporation isn't the vibe we're going for. We can definitely work it into your background, at least.

2. Paramilitary and spy themes. I like urban fantasy stuff, but the usual 'occult detective' stuff is pretty meh to me, or just being a bunch of backbiters like in a lot of VTM games. But I like my tacticool, and it's fresh.

In some form or another, we'll definitely be doing this. The key notes of play will involve rooting out secrets, and fighting those who suppress the secrets.

3. Eclectic cast. I like my variety. Having a vampire amid a group of non-vampires seems more interesting to me than everyone being the same. I expect it allows a deeper dive into a lot of themes than could otherwise be done if everyone had similar issues.

With a Cyborg, a Vampire, and a Hero, looks like you'll get exactly that!

4. I can play a vampire. It's simple, but I like vampires.

No issue there. I have not restricted any Archetypes from play, against my better judgment.

5. Horror, not weakness. I like the aspect, from the interviews, of dealing with horror without just being powerless. I've always preferred my Dead Spaces to my Amnesias, to draw a comparison.

6. Tactical combat, and stuff besides combat? I like combat that's dynamic-a rarity in the market. I also like seeing actual rules for things besides combat, even if I haven't dug into them.

There's not a great depth to Orpheus' non-combat stuff, tragically, but I have plenty of ideas from the podcast and my own ingenuity. You'll not starve for fun outside combat.

I guess if we're just...Trying to figure out what people like, I guess I'll spitball some. These are just things I do for my own stuff-As I said before, I enjoyed Hellsing, with its over the top insanity which the following list is...not.

Yes, I do not intend to engage in instant death. The game isn't really built for that, either; at least not for player characters. There's no enjoyment to be found from "rocks fall, everyone dies." I've run games in the full spectrum from utter gritty realism to abject surrealism, so I know what you mean, and I am prepared to avoid the trevails of going too hard on realism. It'll be a challenge to get cultural exploration going in full, given the limited scope we've got in mind, but I'm up for the challenge. The Humanity part is baked in, so we won't have issues there, I don't think. Low stakes will definitely pan out fine. I'm very comfortable setting up a deep, rich story in a small area, with limited NPCs. Depending how long we play, it may get grander, but we can also end our current game and start a new one if grand is what we want, later on.

Honestly after reading the rules a bit more I was planning to run a Werewolf/Hero character, but why dont we discuss the setting first?

If I had to vote I would like a 'broken masquerade' one, leading to the partial collapse of civilization where cities turn hostile towards each other (Less focus on investigation and more on survival), maybe as a mercenaries or as members of a city trying to survive, I dunno. But I am okay with playing other campaigns as well if anyone has other ideas.

Werewolf/Hero is a delightful combination, and can fit well into just about anything. Are you familiar with the lore of Cu Chulainn?

Werewolf/Hero is a delightful combination, and can fit well into just about anything. Are you familiar with the lore of Cu Chulainn?
Loosely, honestly I considered have the character being Werewolf/True Faith combination as a reference to that guy who claimed he was a part of a secret werewolf order under god guidance but I found the Hero Archetype more compelling.

I also had an idea for another character but honestly it was a little weird.

Loosely, honestly I considered have the character being Werewolf/True Faith combination as a reference to that guy who claimed he was a part of a secret werewolf order under god guidance but I found the Hero Archetype more compelling.

I also had an idea for another character but honestly it was a little weird.

Either one can be terrifying. A werewolf's savage weaponry and enhanced senses, with the Hero's luck and feats of superhuman prowess? Titanic. A werewolf who is guarded by an invisible force, can heal others, and can literally rip paranormal influences out of a person? Unusual, but also incredible.

The setting thing is a sticking issue, yeah, and part of what makes this difficult. I've played around with my fair share of broken masquerade games, but I'm not super big on survival (Well, survival horror maybe, but that's a different story) and post-apocalyptic games aren't my thing. I do enjoy post-post apocalypse stuff like Fallout: New Vegas or Fragged Empire where civilization has partially rebuilt but that's another kettle of fish.

I guess working for a city state would be okay-ish.
Fun fact: A Werewolf/True Faith combo has historic precedent. Thiess of Kaltenbrun was inspiration for a 'Hounds of God' organization in my own urban fantasy setting.
The system is primarily intended for a combination of "testing human resolve" and "inter-departmental intrigue" with an overall presence of spy thriller/occult thriller. However, it is intended to be flexible to a wider variety of uses, which is why everything you two have suggested is viable.
Putting aside the merits and drawbacks of that approach...I think there needs to be a focus on what the setting is actually gonna be at this point. There's been a lot of dancing around it and concern and confusion, and I don't think the game will get anywhere if that isn't locked down soon.
We may not be playing with the Orpheus organization proper, since it looks like you two would prefer to be more of outside actors. Other than that, I'm really resonating with what you wrote here.
Sorry, I'm a little confused, 'you two'? I'm not sure if that's a typo or not...I would not prefer being more of an outside actor.

I'm glad the idea is resonating with you, in any case.
The "this" in question being a limited-scale game focused on a small town, a business complex, or a get-together at a wealthy man's country estate; with the framing event being something like: a murder mystery, a meeting to have a Last Will and Testament read, or the host's wicked scheme to expose the sins of every invited guest. Any particular leaning into one or more of those descriptors?
Not really to be honest. They all sound basically fine. I'm neither hot nor cold. They're...Pretty standard horror-mystery set-ups, so it's hard to get excited in themselves but they're not objectionable either.

It seemed you were going for a more expansive campaign from the OP? Any particular reason you're angling more toward a single adventure now?
It will be challenging for me to put this into our game, since I'm getting strong signals that digging into the intrigue of a shadow corporation isn't the vibe we're going for. We can definitely work it into your background, at least.
Hrm...I wouldn't really use the word 'intrigue' for what drew me, per say. That suggests digging into organization secrets or infighting, which isn't really what I meant? It's more being part of a bigger whole. A few ideas off the top of my head...Complaining about the coffee in the Illuminati Central break room is dirt cheap before the boss briefs you, an NPC sniper overwatching the party telling you there's two guards between you and the macguffin, another cell apprehending a cult leader for you but reporting the unholy artifact wasn't on him, a QRF force fast roping in through the sky light to keep the cultists off your back while you deal with the ritual, or sharing a cigarette with Steve from Bravo team as he shares rumors he's heard about Orpheus trying to negotiate with a rival group...

Stuff that suggests a wider world, and that the players aren't the only ones in it. I've seen it done without any organizations involved at all, but it tends to be easier when you're inherently grounded in the world, rather than...well, rootless vagabonds. Downtime tends to be an excellent place for it: In a military game I've been in, I've often found the downtime as interesting as engaging as desperate last stands or escorting tanks through urban terrain. Trying to get my PC's kid in a school right now, lol.
There's not a great depth to Orpheus' non-combat stuff, tragically, but I have plenty of ideas from the podcast and my own ingenuity. You'll not starve for fun outside combat.
Ah, shame, I was a little excited when I saw the dedicated section on social stuff. But not unexpected. Even my favorite system kinda...Doesn't really do anything outside of combat super well. Doesn't stop non-combat from being a lot of fun.
Yes, I do not intend to engage in instant death. The game isn't really built for that, either; at least not for player characters. There's no enjoyment to be found from "rocks fall, everyone dies." I've run games in the full spectrum from utter gritty realism to abject surrealism, so I know what you mean, and I am prepared to avoid the trevails of going too hard on realism. It'll be a challenge to get cultural exploration going in full, given the limited scope we've got in mind, but I'm up for the challenge. The Humanity part is baked in, so we won't have issues there, I don't think. Low stakes will definitely pan out fine. I'm very comfortable setting up a deep, rich story in a small area, with limited NPCs. Depending how long we play, it may get grander, but we can also end our current game and start a new one if grand is what we want, later on.
Yeah, the classic 'rocks fall, everyone dies': I've never been in one before but it can sometimes pop up in cosmic horror stuff so probably worth bringing up. Happy to not see it, for sure.

Length aside, cultural exploration is not something I'd expect to see as much of in the modernish world...I mean if it's set in the modern world (🤷‍♂). But occult secret societies are their own sub-cultures, at the end of the day. I'm still amused at the time I looked up a secret magical society in a book series I was reading, and discovered they had an actual website that was about 50% complaining about Aleister Crowley.

I've always been more interested in exploring culture and personal stories than saving the world or high level political stuff. I like games where the players are party of an organization, as it tends to ground them in the world more. Plus I do have a fondness for being 'tacticool' and all. I like action and especially socializing, and have a fondness for horror. Investigation can be interesting and is a good fit for urban fantasy, but I find many players aren't very good at it.

The first line of the quoted section is most of why I thought you weren't interested in being part of Orpheus, along with getting you and someone else mixed up. But even in that paragraph I see a confusing contradiction. You like being part of an organization, but you'd prefer not to do world-saving and high level political; that's not a combo that works in standard Orpheus proper. It is an organization, and it tends to truck in world-saving and deep politics.

The first line of the quoted section is most of why I thought you weren't interested in being part of Orpheus, along with getting you and someone else mixed up. But even in that paragraph I see a confusing contradiction. You like being part of an organization, but you'd prefer not to do world-saving and high level political; that's not a combo that works in standard Orpheus proper. It is an organization, and it tends to truck in world-saving and deep politics.
You're confusing the organization and the people inside the organization. The US President and Private John Doe are both technically speaking, a part of the same organization (the United States military), but only one of them is dealing in deep politics or world-saving (From nuclear warfare, rather than eldritch abominations).

Compare the SCP foundation. Whilst there's a (Frankly ridiculous) number of apocalyptic threats, your average Foundation MTF team or investigation is stuff like 'Poke the haunted house' or 'shoot the murder chickens'. Or for an example I've played, with the Inquisition from Dark Heresy, whilst the Inquisition itself often saves world or engages in deep political intrigue, the average cell of acolytes is investigating smuggling rings in esoteric artifacts, shutting down bizarre human modification projects, or poking at a servitor factory that's gone rogue.

You're confusing the organization and the people inside the organization. The US President and Private John Doe are both technically speaking, a part of the same organization (the United States military), but only one of them is dealing in deep politics or world-saving (From nuclear warfare, rather than eldritch abominations).

Compare the SCP foundation. Whilst there's a (Frankly ridiculous) number of apocalyptic threats, your average Foundation MTF team or investigation is stuff like 'Poke the haunted house' or 'shoot the murder chickens'. Or for an example I've played, with the Inquisition from Dark Heresy, whilst the Inquisition itself often saves world or engages in deep political intrigue, the average cell of acolytes is investigating smuggling rings in esoteric artifacts, shutting down bizarre human modification projects, or poking at a servitor factory that's gone rogue.

You are and aren't wrong there. Where Orpheus is concerned, you spend about 50/50 time either busting up an eldritch drug den, or trying to navigate red tape and the potentially apocalyptic corruption of your superiors. The only people in the org with somewhat boring lives are like grunt-level research analysts.

I'm personally a fan of something more small scale. Something like that small town setting that was mentioned. Not super keen on being too high level.

I feel like there's some conflation with an adventure with a setting going around. I mean, I guess there's settings focused on weird towns full of supernatural things in fiction, like...Iunno, Gravity Falls? Or where everyone is secretly a vampire and such.

I definitely agree with preferring low stakes adventures like investigating a small town or manor or whatever like was previously discussed. I think the GM mentioned adapting the official adventures at some point, and depending on how high scale those get, I could maybe get behind that. But setting wise...Well I've listed what I like. And I'd like to be working with the Orpheus Protocol or similar paramilitary but good intentioned (?) shadowy conspiracy.

I guess I could maybe swing the post-masquerade world Teyao suggested earlier, but I already mentioned my reservations there.

Edit: Maybe a poll or questionnaire should be done at this point.
Yah that was the guy I was referencing.
Hah. Well, good taste then.
You are and aren't wrong there. Where Orpheus is concerned, you spend about 50/50 time either busting up an eldritch drug den, or trying to navigate red tape and the potentially apocalyptic corruption of your superiors. The only people in the org with somewhat boring lives are like grunt-level research analysts.
I'm sorry, but I'm not really following. Low-stakes =/= boring. Investigating an esoteric smuggling ring, performing recon on a haunted house, ect. are all significantly less boring to me than stopping the ritual to summon the world-ending apocalypse for the nth time. Neither 'busting up eldritch drug dens' or 'navigating red tape' sound particularly high-stakes to me either, aside from the random 'potentially apocalyptic' in there.

Why is it potentially apocalyptic? And if Orpheus Protocol agents are dealing with the apocalypse half(?) the time, that seems a little hard to take seriously. The apocalypse only has to get lucky once. If you have only ten teams world wide, and half are dealing with the apocalypse, that's 5 apocalypses simultaneously. That sounds...Kinda banal, honestly?

Even if the apocalypse is an every Tuesday event for Orpheus agents by default, you have been saying things were flexible, no?

Last edited:
I feel like there's some conflation with an adventure with a setting going around. I mean, I guess there's settings focused on weird towns full of supernatural things in fiction, like...Iunno, Gravity Falls? Or where everyone is secretly a vampire and such.

I'm all for doing a "small town full of weird" but it toes the line of being real tired, so we'd need to put our heads together and make it a fresh take on the concept.

I definitely agree with preferring low stakes adventures like investigating a small town or manor or whatever like was previously discussed. I think the GM mentioned adapting the official adventures at some point, and depending on how high scale those get, I could maybe get behind that. But setting wise...Well I've listed what I like. And I'd like to be working with the Orpheus Protocol or similar paramilitary but good intentioned (?) shadowy conspiracy.

I don't recall saying I intend to adapt the podcast's content. There are elements of canon I might incorporate, but not heavily. We can definitely have you (at least) be doing Orpheus work, whether or not your soon-to-be friends are. In the standard setting, Orpheus does not have true competition. They are working to monopolize their niche in the occult market.

I guess I could maybe swing the post-masquerade world Teyao suggested earlier, but I already mentioned my reservations there.

Edit: Maybe a poll or questionnaire should be done at this point.

I'm not real interested in a chaotic monsters-everywhere world, nor post-apocalypse. A lot of the allure for me is these things slithering beneath the surface of a world people think is (relatively) safe to live in.

I'm sorry, but I'm not really following. Low-stakes =/= boring. Investigating an esoteric smuggling ring, performing recon on a haunted house, ect. are all significantly less boring to me than stopping the ritual to summon the world-ending apocalypse for the nth time. Neither 'busting up eldritch drug dens' or 'navigating red tape' sound particularly high-stakes to me either, aside from the random 'potentially apocalyptic' in there.

By "boring," I meant that they're not on assignment fighting monsters and witnessing reality-rending madness in their day-to-day. Working for Orpheus is never boring.

Why is it potentially apocalyptic? And if Orpheus Protocol agents are dealing with the apocalypse half(?) the time, that seems a little hard to take seriously. The apocalypse only has to get lucky once. If you have only ten teams world wide, and half are dealing with the apocalypse, that's 5 apocalypses simultaneously. That sounds...Kinda banal, honestly?

Even if the apocalypse is an every Tuesday event for Orpheus agents by default, you have been saying things were flexible, no?

The higher up a person is in the organization, the more prone they are to tapping into things they shouldn't. Really, really shouldn't. Ultimately though, "the apocalypse only has to get lucky once" is kinda the point, so if you're that put-off by it, I don't think this is going to be for you. Not every single assignment is going to be a literal "the world is ending" scenario, but the stakes of these assignments aren't really X-Files or Warehouse 13 shit. You tend to be busting up cults welcoming horrors into our reality, or shutting down illicit trades empowering a business magnate with reality-warping intent, things like that. There's a degree of flexibility, but if you don't want Vampires, you don't play the Masquerade, you know what I mean?

Well, if we're working the small town angle, there's a few ways to go about it, depending on how close you wanna cleave to the original content.

The closest example to the "normal" content for the setting would be that there's been some signs of spooky activity in a small town, and the team gets sent in to investigate. If you want a twist, I'd say lean into the mystery angle.

Shortly after the team arrives, spooky shit happens, and suddenly nobody can leave the town, and the PC's have to work with the townsfolk to figure out what the fuck happened, and how to get rid of it, with the clock ticking.

Now, if you're willing to go a bit further off the beaten path, have the team be sent in for a long-term infiltration, where they have to pose as residents of the town, as there's suspicion that the entire town has become a haven for the occult. Turns it, the town is in fact a haven for the occult... but only a very small number of them are actually threatening, and the PCs have to work out who, if anyone, is actually dangerous... and what to do with the information they've learned.

Well, if we're working the small town angle, there's a few ways to go about it, depending on how close you wanna cleave to the original content.

The closest example to the "normal" content for the setting would be that there's been some signs of spooky activity in a small town, and the team gets sent in to investigate. If you want a twist, I'd say lean into the mystery angle.

Shortly after the team arrives, spooky shit happens, and suddenly nobody can leave the town, and the PC's have to work with the townsfolk to figure out what the fuck happened, and how to get rid of it, with the clock ticking.

Now, if you're willing to go a bit further off the beaten path, have the team be sent in for a long-term infiltration, where they have to pose as residents of the town, as there's suspicion that the entire town has become a haven for the occult. Turns it, the town is in fact a haven for the occult... but only a very small number of them are actually threatening, and the PCs have to work out who, if anyone, is actually dangerous... and what to do with the information they've learned.

Alright, I'll sum that up as:

Option 1. One or more ORPHEUS operatives are sent in as a cell to investigate anomalous activity, meeting up with whoever among you is an outside contractor (if any). Once there, things gradually go sideways, and the town becomes all entrance, no exit. The Cell, assistants, and innocent locals must collaborate toward a way out of this mess.

Option 2. ORPHEUS agents are sent in to embed themselves, ingratiate themselves to the community, and uncover occult activities. While there, they start to see the inhabitants are not as intel made them seem. The Cell must reinvent the plan, and make good on the investment they have put into this place.

Does anyone have other suggestions? And how do you feel about these?

Alright, I'll sum that up as:

Option 1. One or more ORPHEUS operatives are sent in as a cell to investigate anomalous activity, meeting up with whoever among you is an outside contractor (if any). Once there, things gradually go sideways, and the town becomes all entrance, no exit. The Cell, assistants, and innocent locals must collaborate toward a way out of this mess.

Option 2. ORPHEUS agents are sent in to embed themselves, ingratiate themselves to the community, and uncover occult activities. While there, they start to see the inhabitants are not as intel made them seem. The Cell must reinvent the plan, and make good on the investment they have put into this place.

Does anyone have other suggestions? And how do you feel about these?
Both sound pretty decent. I think I like the sound of the first a bit more. A bit more intense, I feel, and I like the idea of having to partner with locals. I'm not sure how I feel about the long-term infiltration.

Besides that, lemme spitball a few ideas, going back to the other earlier ideas like the murder-mystery one. These can probably be mixed with the aforementioned town ideas.
1. The players are sent undercover to infiltrate an event at a wealthy man's country estate being held by a notable cult leader or other target only to discover them already dead. They now have to investigate into the death of the very man they were sent to capture, as mysterious events are afoot in the shadows and the clock begins to click.

2. A notable businessman who supports the Orpheus Protocol as a front has recently died, and the players are sent to attend the Last Will and Testament reading to ensure the organization gets its cut. An easy milk run job that quickly goes horribly wrong as strange supernatural events interrupt the event, and they soon become a target. Also, they may or may not have a hapless bureaucrat to try and keep alive.

3. A small town is hosting a small convention for an occult auction, including a few artifacts of power that the Orpheus Protocol would be very interested in acquiring. Unfortunately, they might not be the only ones and the host has their own 'wicked scheme to expose the sins of every invited guest'.
I'm all for doing a "small town full of weird" but it toes the line of being real tired, so we'd need to put our heads together and make it a fresh take on the concept.
Does it really pop up that much, actually? Off the top of my head I only recall a few obscure webcomics and movies, and Gravity Falls.

Though, yeah, I don't really vibe with it.
I don't recall saying I intend to adapt the podcast's content. There are elements of canon I might incorporate, but not heavily. We can definitely have you (at least) be doing Orpheus work, whether or not your soon-to-be friends are. In the standard setting, Orpheus does not have true competition. They are working to monopolize their niche in the occult market.
Ah, mea culpa. Misinterpreted this bit from the OP: " I am a long-time fan of a freshly released system called Orpheus Protocol -- been following the canon story in its podcast form for a few years -- and I'd like to mildly adapt it for use here, in a PbP format." I thought that the adapting bit meant the canon story. Think it's called subject-object confusion or something?
I'm not real interested in a chaotic monsters-everywhere world, nor post-apocalypse. A lot of the allure for me is these things slithering beneath the surface of a world people think is (relatively) safe to live in.
More than fair. I enjoy a bit of post-masquerade stuff myself, but generally prefer an extant masquerade.

By "boring," I meant that they're not on assignment fighting monsters and witnessing reality-rending madness in their day-to-day. Working for Orpheus is never boring.
Explanation's kind of a non-sequitur? You brought up those 'boring' guys in relation to me talking about low-stakes organizational play, so I clarified that 'boring' is not what I meant by low-stakes organizational play.

What I've been saying is that fighting monsters and witnessing reality-rending madness are not inherently high-stakes or apocalyptic. It's not like most of Lovecraft's adventures ended with the world ending, despite many of them being downer endings. Obviously the opposition might need to be a bit harder for being trained soldiers and werewolves and all rather than Lovecraft's civilians, but it doesn't need to be tuned to the end of the world is all. I'm perfectly happy with going mad from the revelation or fighting a gribbly horror beyond my comprehension, I'm just not personally interested in stopping Cthulthu from waking up.

The higher up a person is in the organization, the more prone they are to tapping into things they shouldn't. Really, really shouldn't. Ultimately though, "the apocalypse only has to get lucky once" is kinda the point, so if you're that put-off by it, I don't think this is going to be for you. Not every single assignment is going to be a literal "the world is ending" scenario, but the stakes of these assignments aren't really X-Files or Warehouse 13 shit. You tend to be busting up cults welcoming horrors into our reality, or shutting down illicit trades empowering a business magnate with reality-warping intent, things like that. There's a degree of flexibility, but if you don't want Vampires, you don't play the Masquerade, you know what I mean?
Uhhh, I mean I never watched the X-Files but....Rob Stith is the developer and GM of Orpheus Protocol, right? Because he literally uses X-Files as part of his setting pitch from an interview I read? <+RobStith> So a common elevator pitch for The ORPHEUS Protocol I've used is "What if the X-Files were investigated by the X-Men?"

Busting up horror summoning cults or reality warping business magnates isn't an issue. Those aren't necessarily high stakes: Shadowrun Dragonfall had a Toxic Spirit cult that was pretty dangerous and memorable, but at the end of the day was ending a few lives, not a city or world. Busting up a cult summoning up the Doom of the Tri-State Area, or the head of Omnicorp is another matter.

It's not so much 'If you don't want vampires, don't play the masquerade' as 'If you don't like high level elder politicking or deep lore about Cain, don't play the Masquerade' I'm concerned about. Maybe I want to be a neonate and not a mover and shaker in the Camarilla, y'know?

Last edited:
Does it really pop up that much, actually? Off the top of my head I only recall a few obscure webcomics and movies, and Gravity Falls.

Though, yeah, I don't really vibe with it.

Stories that come to mind involving "little town full of weird:" Gravity Falls, Stranger Things, Twin Peaks, Persona 4, Riverdale, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Stephen King's IT. Those are just the ones I can quickly recall. And I wasn't counting Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Ah, mea culpa. Misinterpreted this bit from the OP: " I am a long-time fan of a freshly released system called Orpheus Protocol -- been following the canon story in its podcast form for a few years -- and I'd like to mildly adapt it for use here, in a PbP format." I thought that the adapting bit meant the canon story. Think it's called subject-object confusion or something?

Yeah, that was not well-worded. A better way to have put it would be "I have been following the podcast's story for a few years, and I would like to mildly adapt the system here, in a PbP format."

I'm just not personally interested in stopping Cthulthu from waking up.

I think I'm starting to get it now. You're fine with threats that could be potentially world-ending in the long run, if things like them are not kept under wraps, but not an Elder God who would wipe the planet if he so much as stops napping. Sort of like how a character with Large Building level Attack Potency could destroy a city...eventually. Whereas a City level character could do it much faster/easier.

Uhhh, I mean I never watched the X-Files but....Rob Stith is the developer and GM of Orpheus Protocol, right? Because he literally uses X-Files as part of his setting pitch from an interview I read? <+RobStith> So a common elevator pitch for The ORPHEUS Protocol I've used is "What if the X-Files were investigated by the X-Men?"

I had not read that interview. Personally, looking at what Rob has created, I do not see the comparison to X-Files as much. And saying "investigated by the X-Men" does imply a higher scale. You don't send Omega level Mutants to do a beat cop's job.

Back