Saving a Nation, By Any Means Necessary (Modern/Sci-Fi meets Fantasy CK2)

So if we seal most of the exits but one, set up a basic guard there, ostensibly as a means of "protecting people" from the thing but also to charge admission-- "If you can't spare X wealth / don't have at least 2X wealth in gear / etc. you really shouldn't be going down there."

Alternatively we leave the guard as an alert system and then kill the adventure / treasure seekers and take their stuff, if we wanted to go slightly more evil.

If we put a plastic bat up against a mace or sword and demolish it really easily we can "show" that the stuff in there is "worthless".

I mean, we'd have options. I'm just not sure what the best one would be.
The problems with tricks like that is eventually someone will find the truth. Also, the stuff is so exotic and strange, even if it is useless, nobles will still buy them at a good price to prove they are better then other nobles.

eventually someone will find the truth
All it needs to do is buy time; the equivalent of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a stick or a rock. All our "get in deeper and start really using the thing" plans require time. These tricks would get us that. Doesn't have to last forever, just long enough.

All it needs to do is buy time; the equivalent of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a stick or a rock. All our "get in deeper and start really using the thing" plans require time. These tricks would get us that. Doesn't have to last forever, just long enough.
Would probably be best to build a small fort outside the cave to keep people from getting in. Best secret when no one can see it

Would probably be best to build a small fort outside the cave to keep people from getting in. Best secret when no one can see it
Sounds like a plan that all works together. We "announce" that there's dangerous stuff in the lower levels (something something sealed evil in a can, horrible world-ending monster thing...), we magnanimously offer to build a fort to protect the rest of the world from it, get that assigned to us as our "sworn duty" by the kingdom; given how well we handled the last catastrophic threat, there isn't a ton of wiggle room for greedy nobles to get a sniff. The kingdom establishes that anybody not-us going in there is committing a crime against the throne...

I mean, that's all best-case scenario stuff, but it's something to shoot for.

Sounds like a plan that all works together. We "announce" that there's dangerous stuff in the lower levels (something something sealed evil in a can, horrible world-ending monster thing...), we magnanimously offer to build a fort to protect the rest of the world from it, get that assigned to us as our "sworn duty" by the kingdom; given how well we handled the last catastrophic threat, there isn't a ton of wiggle room for greedy nobles to get a sniff. The kingdom establishes that anybody not-us going in there is committing a crime against the throne...

I mean, that's all best-case scenario stuff, but it's something to shoot for.
We say big scary thing and people will want it for themselves. We say we're doing dangerous research and don't want to damage our building, then it's risky stuff that might not be worth going after

We say big scary thing and people will want it for themselves. We say we're doing dangerous research and don't want to damage our building, then it's risky stuff that might not be worth going after
Right, right, yes. The whole "large reactor leak, very large, very dangerous" ploy. That said, this is why I'm talking through and working over it so we have a plan by the time it actually gets there.

The living statues, those thing I don't worry about the loyalty of, maybe summons too if we ever get enough of them
...in a world where magic exists, the loyalty of magical constructs is mechanical. Someone capable with the mechanical elements could flip a magical construct, possibly even easier than a regular person.

Depends on the magic. Which we don't know enough about to be able to one hundred percent guarantee the loyalty of all magical constructs.

Might be worth looking into if it's possible? If our magic experts know if it's possible to alter the loyalty of magical constructs (living statues, summons, etc.) that would be extremely valuable to know.

...in a world where magic exists, the loyalty of magical constructs is mechanical. Someone capable with the mechanical elements could flip a magical construct, possibly even easier than a regular person.

Depends on the magic. Which we don't know enough about to be able to one hundred percent guarantee the loyalty of all magical constructs.

Might be worth looking into if it's possible? If our magic experts know if it's possible to alter the loyalty of magical constructs (living statues, summons, etc.) that would be extremely valuable to know.
We can just add that to the list of things we need to do. We tried to learn about the statues before and failed, but never tried again. We have many more magic people so we should have better luck this time.

Only problem, we might need to learning slot to make gas for the vans

Well, we can only work with what we've got. It's been so long since we had a regular turn I'm not even sure what it would look like. Or are we still in a war phase thing?

The middle is done, the south is almost done, the north is weakened. The south we can probably some guys to harass and finish up. The north will probably need another turn Or 2 of attacks to finish, unless they are a major reinforcement

The middle is done, the south is almost done, the north is weakened. The south we can probably some guys to harass and finish up. The north will probably need another turn Or 2 of attacks to finish, unless they are a major reinforcement
North still has a major battle. If we really push and throw what we can at it, we have every chance we might be able to finish this turn.

Do we have to prevent entry by explorers? If we control the ability of people to enter we could grant permission to those that want to enter for treasure hunting. We just expect them to provide us first pick of what they find (we' pay for it of course).

Or we colud get a big loss, last battle we good some epic roll of dice, i think we need advisors first!
I know action economy is of value. Believe me, at our first available opportunity I want us to be swinging for as many "increase available actions per turn" as possible. I also know that we haven't had regular turns in a long time because battle (wealth has been the limiting factor SO HARD in this quest and while our battle wins might help with that we also need to maintain a suitable income stream to be able to actually _do_ things with those actions)

One note with the combat system is that throwing more troops at a battle increases our chances of winning it, so I don't see big losses happening.

I know action economy is of value. Believe me, at our first available opportunity I want us to be swinging for as many "increase available actions per turn" as possible. I also know that we haven't had regular turns in a long time because battle (wealth has been the limiting factor SO HARD in this quest and while our battle wins might help with that we also need to maintain a suitable income stream to be able to actually _do_ things with those actions)

One note with the combat system is that throwing more troops at a battle increases our chances of winning it, so I don't see big losses happening.
The problem is that every income action tend to have a constant expense to eats a good chunk of the profits(like real life). We need to find something to make that is worth a lot and hard to get in this place, maybe perfume or make a large movie room

The problem is that every income action tend to have a constant expense to eats a good chunk of the profits(like real life). We need to find something to make that is worth a lot and hard to get in this place, maybe perfume or make a large movie room
Theatre halls. We have hundreds of years of earth culture they have never seen. Big open space, set up luxury boxes for nobles and charge through the nose for them...

Sports arenas could work too. Lacrosse would even cross train some combat related skills.

Theatre halls. We have hundreds of years of earth culture they have never seen. Big open space, set up luxury boxes for nobles and charge through the nose for them...

Sports arenas could work too. Lacrosse would even cross train some combat related skills.
Maybe serve some modern style food, after we figure out how to replenish our seasoning supplies

Back