"No promises to keep" - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Decided to download the demo last night to see how things would look and definitely enjoyed it. Plays really similarly to Remake though there was some stuff with the new synergy I just wasn't getting the hang of.
They gave me the Sephiroth going crazy in Shinra Mansion I wanted. Also don't think I didn't notice the subtitle switching from "Cloud" to "Shinra soldier" saying 'Mom" during the scene where Cloud goes to check on his moms house SQenix. I see what you did there.

Ended up shelling out $115 AUD for the game this afternoon, to download during my lunch break til I'm done with work at 4pm. I don't think I actually played any FF7 remake beyond the PS4 version, years back, so I dunno if the remastered version has anything important.

Yuffie showed up early, I hear?

So whoever designed this game's Fort Condor questline needs to get taken out back and shot. That's all I'll say.

Wasn't expecting to start off the Kalm visit with card games. That was a fun minigame. Nor for needing to flee courtesy of Shinra invading.

Now I'm in the freeroam world map, however, so it's time to explore. And get Cloud's buster sword maxed before more plot happens.

So whoever designed this game's Fort Condor questline needs to get taken out back and shot. That's all I'll say.
I like this fort Condor minigame.

Admittedly I'd prefer it to be more like the DLC, where you can customise your unit selection and similar, but it's a lot more lightweight and fun then the original.. gameplay wise anyway.

So I just complete the Dyne sequence.

Fucking christ this game is incredible. Just. Absolute 10/10 so far with absolutely 0 complaints, this is everything I wanted a Modern Final Fantasy game to be.

More than 18 hours in and I'm barely on the verge of leaving Junon. Game big.

Also they did not remotely cut down on the number of minigames. None have really overstayed their welcome so far, which I dearly appreciate.

Story-wise they're doing some fun stuff that I very much appreciate, looking forward to see where it goes.

Thought I was getting somewhere doing the sidequest chasing after those random Team Rocket/Yiga Clan wannabes only to get bodied when they had the mech in a warehouse. Figured ok I'll go do the main story. Got me a chocobo and wen off thinking I'm ok level wise... Only to get wrecked horribly by the Midgar Snake. Back to side quests I guess.

I've just arrived at Costa Del Sol, meanwhile. It's been interesting seeing how things can both differ and stay the same as the original FF7, and I've been enjoying the character interactions a bunch.

I've just arrived at Costa Del Sol, meanwhile. It's been interesting seeing how things can both differ and stay the same as the original FF7, and I've been enjoying the character interactions a bunch.

I have not played any FF7 since the original, but the mention of that town instantly played the theme song in my head.

Thanks.

The crunch sit-ups minigame has returned in Corel, and I'm very much not the best at it. Doesn't help the controls flip from right to left pattern on occasion, but the third stage has you go in an hourglass path vs cube. The game also incorporated the adaptive triggers of the ps5, resulting in you needing to half press L/R2 on occasion to do a step.

It's, uh, frustrating

Cloud is so fucking cute in this game. They have spent millions researching exactly how to make the most charming, most adorable, most foldable twink possible out of an awkward tryhard edgelord who's a softie at heart.

I love him so much.

Aerith and Tifa are relentlessly adorable, too. Their energy together is almost unbelievable.
In general I just adore the entire party, they work so well together, but Aerith and Tifa are absolute standouts. The fact that the game puts so much effort into showing that they're not just surface level friends but genuinely act as trusted confidants and emotional support to each other throughout the game is wonderful.

One of the major standout parts of Remake was the quality of character writing, and thus far they've absolutely matched or exceeded it in Rebirth. I love this game.

The Junon sequence is absolutely incredible, just a masterwork.

RIP to Huge Materia though, it's been subject to lard erasure.

RIP to Huge Materia though, it's been subject to lard erasure.
I don't mind how they've changed the items. Renaming them to some Latin word for big, alongside sticking them in the Weapons, gives a solid rationale for us to stop Shinra getting them. Probably. I've only just learned the latter, as I climb Mt Corel.

WE'RE ALL GOING TO THE GOLD SAUCER! WE ARE GOING WE ARE GOING TO THE GOLD SAUCER!

Perfectly aesthetically designed zone, just immaculate. I'm over in Gogaga now, but just had to mention that.

Perfectly aesthetically designed zone, just immaculate. I'm over in Gogaga now, but just had to mention that
Gongoga has been wild. I'm just wrapping up there and cleaning out collectables stuff before moving off to Cosmo Canyon, and the story ended up involving the sleepy jungle village a whole lot more than the original game. I think it was optional there, actually.

So I just complete the Dyne sequence.

Fucking christ this game is incredible. Just. Absolute 10/10 so far with absolutely 0 complaints, this is everything I wanted a Modern Final Fantasy game to be.
Kenjiro Tsuda (Kaiba in Yugioh/Nanami in Jujutsu Kaisen) did an awesome job as Dyne's JP VA 🤩

There is some seriously bonkers stuff in this game, I really cannot get over Yuffie having created multiple sentient clones of Johnny lmao

87 hours later, I've finished Rebirth.

I may write up more concrete thoughts later, I may not, but at the moment I feel on top of the world. It's an absolutely pinnacle game, and I cannot wait for the third entry.

Beat the game.

At the ending, I'm scared and horrified of what Cloud has become. He kind of scares me more than anything else in the game now. The party needs to dunk him in the Lifestream yesterday.

I have just complete the game. May be the greatest video game I've ever played in my life, and I am very interested to see what directions Part 3 go in.

Back