"No promises to keep" - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Renewal

Boring Person #5883781345
Pronouns
He/Him
Looks like Square Enix has already taken its first steps on its biggest bombshell of the year--we have our first gameplay trailer for the FFVII remake:

Gameplay looks somewhere between Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core, and FFXV, which is nice, though I'm iffy about it. The graphics are gorgeous of course, even if you can still see the roughness in places. And it looks like they're keeping the principal VAs that the Compilation used, since Cloud is definitely still Steve Burton, though I'm not sure about Barret.

I'm speculating it might be plausible that we could see the game release in late 2017, just before the original's twentieth anniversary year expires.

Humm....I don't like the sunglasses on Barret.

I mean, they look cool and all, but half of Barrets intimidation was that he would get face to face with someone and stare them right in the eye. The other half was a combination of tone of voice and body language/being HUGE.

Speaking of which, I thought Barret would be taller.

Why are people acting like this is some big reveal? We have known for over six months that this was happening.

Humm....I don't like the sunglasses on Barret.

I mean, they look cool and all, but half of Barrets intimidation was that he would get face to face with someone and stare them right in the eye. The other half was a combination of tone of voice and body language/being HUGE.

Speaking of which, I thought Barret would be taller.
He's obviously wearing them to be incognito while 'on the job' (despite being otherwise instantly recognizable because Mr T with a gun arm). Its just so brilliantly him that its the most likely explanation.

Why are people acting like this is some big reveal? We have known for over six months that this was happening.

We wanted to see what gameplay would sorta look like? Hell, people knew Fallout 4 was coming out for a year now (yes, I know it was also announced six months ago and released just now, but the only reason that is is because they tried to keep it secret. We knew it was coming out since a year ago when rumors kicked up.) and still act like this even though the game is out.

So, we are fans. If that's such a big issue, then I pity you, because there are a lot worse fandoms that would masterbate to the equivalent sort of information and that must make you rip your hair out if one post into a thread has you complaining about the fandom.

He's obviously wearing them to be incognito while 'on the job' (despite being otherwise instantly recognizable because Mr T with a gun arm). Its just so brilliantly him that its the most likely explanation.

....yeah, that's totally his style. And if I remember correctly, Dyne used sunglasses as well. This could work out pretty well if its played right.

Well, previously, we only knew that a remake was coming, not that it was a priority for SE or even whether they had a timeframe for release. Just consider how long FFXV and KHIII have been in development. That we even have a gameplay trailer now is heartening.

Moreover, we we actually have a rough idea how the game will play now, and it's clear we're getting action RPG elements. Not an unsurprising choice, and I personally approve of, but it's one that can be disappointing to diehard fans of the original.

And lastly what Tsojat said: I love the original flaws and all, and this is news that interested me. So I wanted to share it here to see if anyone else would be interested in it too. I mean, that's the purpose of a forum, no?

Honestly, they likely had to do this remake to pay for all the money they've spent on FFXV . There was no way we'd get a modern turned-based engine instead of a reused XV engine. :(

Hmmm... I guess the logical divisions would be around the original disc splits, with maybe an extra break after Midgar.

The more extreme alternative would be a more radical restructuring of the game, and making it more linear like FFX or even FFXIII, with a defined sequence of events rather than an open world map, and then releasing the game in acts or chapters.

I'm not altogether worried, so long as the chunks are priced sensibly and released in a timely manner.

It just being a remake with the same mechanics, maybe some tune-ups, but mostly the graphics would be great already.
That they're changing the battle system... Well, it makes me scared, and also kinda excited. Looks fun from that, like a suped-up Crisis Core. Maybe it'll be good, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't like turn-based combat and wished Square Enix'd get back to it. But...

The first game's Cloud was pretty radically different from the Clouds that came after, Advent Children and the like. I'm afraid that he'll lose who he was.
Plus, it's apparently multiple games? That's just bad.

Overall, I don't know what to think. Definitely going to see what other people have to say about it before I even consider buying it.

It just being a remake with the same mechanics, maybe some tune-ups, but mostly the graphics would be great already.
That they're changing the battle system... Well, it makes me scared, and also kinda excited. Looks fun from that, like a suped-up Crisis Core. Maybe it'll be good, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't like turn-based combat and wished Square Enix'd get back to it. But...

The first game's Cloud was pretty radically different from the Clouds that came after, Advent Children and the like. I'm afraid that he'll lose who he was.
Judging from the trailer it seems he'll be having psychotic breaks rather than angsting. Which is good, because thats what he was like in the original. We'll need to see what he's like after meeting Aeris to really know whether they'll keep his original characterization though.

...I wonder if they'll keep the bit where he flips out, tackles Aeris to the ground then starts beating the shit out of her.

Having followed the LP that recently concluded over on SomethingAwful, what exactly are you referring to by this?

Dude, it's a JRPG from the mid-90s. I have very fond memories of it, but large swathes of the game are boring, tedious and dumb. Midgar, the Nibelheim flashback and Junon are a strong way to start, but the first disc loses almost all momentum shortly after that, and even the parts which are good (like, the return to Nibelheim and Barret's backstory) are sandwiched between inanity. The climax of the disc is good, but it's the climax, you know? The whole game isn't walking down blood soaked Shin-Ra hallways and Aerith getting stabbed.

And that's the thing: chunks of it are really iconic moments in gaming history, and chunks of it are the products of 90s development. It's been almost 20 years, we can be honest about it, I think.

I don't know what that LP was like, but like, the original Drakengard was completely bearable when Id was LPing it.

Never played final fantasy VII so I think the remake would give me an excellent opportunity to experience the game with a graphical overhaul, fixing some plot holes and getting it optimised for modern syste-
Oh
Okay
That's um... Interesting, I guess. So they're either going to slice up the game and sell it piecemeal or they'll release chunks of the game as they're done as part of vanilla. Maybe even some other scheme. Here's hoping it's not the former.

meh, don't care. Don't see any reason to rage or despair over this.

I'll just wait for it to come out, if reviews come out praising gameplay then I'll buy it, play it, and get as much enjoyment out of it as i can.

I had no problem with Resident Evil: Revelations 2. It was actually one of the better games in the series in a while. If they sell a full game and just release it in episodes that's okay. It gets you the game faster and gives the dev team longer to polish late game content; a noteable problem with many Squareenix stuff is how much it falls apart in the late game, even FFVII suffered from this though it was before the problem became endemic *cough*Xenogears*cough*. Giving them a few months to put together a good endgame is something I am willing to wait a few months for and giving them money upfront for early content means they may get that time and I get to play it early.

So long as they don't do anything ridiculous like try to sell one third of a game at full game price, I see nothing wrong with this move.

Well, if Square was looking for a way to dispel any and all enthusiasm people might have for this project, I'd say they found it.

Like letting the air out of a balloon in a continuous wet rubbery fart.

I have no faith now. Because I know that this is not a decision that anyone who cares about FFVII made. This was something that came down from corporate, to chop it into fourths and sell it on PSN for 20 dollars a pop to maximize the amount of money they'll make. This was a decision made by some old fuck japanese man in a suit, who has never met a fan of FFVII and doesn't know how much we care.

Look forward to 200 DLC packs of lightning's costume for all the girls (And probably Cloud) shortly followed by FFVII the Pachinko machine.

Last edited:
Dude, it's a JRPG from the mid-90s. I have very fond memories of it, but large swathes of the game are boring, tedious and dumb. Midgar, the Nibelheim flashback and Junon are a strong way to start, but the first disc loses almost all momentum shortly after that, and even the parts which are good (like, the return to Nibelheim and Barret's backstory) are sandwiched between inanity. The climax of the disc is good, but it's the climax, you know? The whole game isn't walking down blood soaked Shin-Ra hallways and Aerith getting stabbed.

And that's the thing: chunks of it are really iconic moments in gaming history, and chunks of it are the products of 90s development. It's been almost 20 years, we can be honest about it, I think.

I don't know what that LP was like, but like, the original Drakengard was completely bearable when Id was LPing it.

I tried playing it when it came out on Steam. I didn't get as far as the infamous Aerith stabbing, because I stopped playing because of what I like to call "Fucking Vietnam" design. Namely, crossing rooms was an exercise in tedium, where I'd walk ten paces, get jumped by a random encounter, and have to kill it before walking another ten pages, being ambushed by stationary turrets, and have to kill them and then maybe if I was lucky, I could get to the other side of the screen without another ambush by the Vietcong random encounters.

I was really hoping they would keep Barrett saying Mofo every other line and all the other 'wonderful' translation decisions from the original game. Big budget actors saying all the dialog verbatim, super detailed models trying to copy the wonders of PS1 quality animations, getting stuck watching a over produced summon cutscene for a minute and a half with no way to skip. I want all the design decisions from 20 years ago preserved in super expensive quality so people are forced to just really look at them. It would be amazing.

I was really hoping they would keep Barrett saying Mofo every other line and all the other 'wonderful' translation decisions from the original game. Big budget actors saying all the dialog verbatim, super detailed models trying to copy the wonders of PS1 quality animations, getting stuck watching a over produced summon cutscene for a minute and a half with no way to skip. I want all the design decisions from 20 years ago preserved in super expensive quality so people are forced to just really look at them. It would be amazing.
And it still would've made enough money to rival the GDP of a small nation.

Back