Millennia

So, what is the elevator pitch for the game? What does Millenia do better than, say, Civ or Humankind?

So, what is the elevator pitch for the game? What does Millenia do better than, say, Civ or Humankind?

Production chains are the big obvious difference. The economy side isn't just pumping out food/hammers/wealth/etc, it's producing tangible goods that can be consumed to grant you those, and you can chain buildings to upgrade those goods. You really get that feel of a shifting economic base as ages unlock new production methods.

And of course the alternate ages are a big part of it. There's an age of alchemy with alchemical production methods, and an age of aether with early automation powered by an unique aether resource. Similarly, the national traditions you can pick up really shape your economy.

In my playthrough I mentioned earlier, I had to change the entire structure of my empire to turn vassals into integrated cities because they were the ones with the aether deposits.

If you like elaborate board games rather than just map painting, this is going to feel reminiscent of that. You can really imagine the wooden cubes and meeples.

I am really, really having fun with the game but... does anyone else feel like the AI is extremely aggressive? It seems to always have huge armies and the moment I'm maybe 10 or 20% behind it begins threatening me and escalating to war.

I am really, really having fun with the game but... does anyone else feel like the AI is extremely aggressive? It seems to always have huge armies and the moment I'm maybe 10 or 20% behind it begins threatening me and escalating to war.
They're definitely on the fightier side of civ-game AI's.

The AI really doesn't like land borders. It's much easier to have peaceful relations with more distant nations, usually. You can also spend diplomatic xp and gold to boost relations but the trend tend to be downward so it's a constant effort.

Yeah have kind of ended up inexorably eating my starting continent because the ais on it just won't stop being belligerent dicks.

You can also just beat their armies and peace out, they're unlikely to bother you again if you got ahead. Sometimes that's a better plan than eating the chaos for conquering them.

Edit: finished another game. Not much to talk about, ran over people barbarians early with raiders into age of blood into weakening everyone with conquests and finishing them off with khans. Got into age of conquest but didn't need the victory condition from it as I killed the last city. The combat system probably needs a bit of polishing. Crossbows are really strong with their anti line unit bonus right now, and they're not really squishy so they don't even need that much defending if they're just facing infantry.

Last edited:
Yeah just feels like a waste not to get something out of them. Also, may just be the normal difficulty, but everything post renaissance has felt pretty victory lappy. Like in the second to last age but just kinda clicking through turns since I'm so far ahead. Doesn't feel meaningful to optimize any at this point.

Okay doubleposting but oh well. Finished my first full playthrough here and its a bit better that the final victory condition ages are just like literally a brief race to victory, but definitely need to up the difficulty cause the ai's were barely starting to get into the government faction stuff when I launched transcendance. Overall it was a pretty fun run lots of things I would do differently, arts xp seems like it gets kind of weak but I didn't use its picks, Kind of wish there was a way to absorb vassal cities of a certain pop or below as towns the way you do outposts, because otherwise the shitty little cities the ai sneaks into the middle of my stuff are very obnoxious since I really don't like razing.

So far seems pretty baseline competent civlike, satisfied with the buy, but definitely waiting for the polish. Gonna try an islands map next see if having water between us makes dealing with the other nations less annoying. Definitely want to see more invested into the diplo system.

Edit: And performance improvements lordy does it chug in the lst few ages even on a medium map

Last edited:
Are you even allowed to raze AI settled cities? Never saw an option appear for that in the early game conquests.

Okay doubleposting but oh well. Finished my first full playthrough here and its a bit better that the final victory condition ages are just like literally a brief race to victory, but definitely need to up the difficulty cause the ai's were barely starting to get into the government faction stuff when I launched transcendance. Overall it was a pretty fun run lots of things I would do differently, arts xp seems like it gets kind of weak but I didn't use its picks, Kind of wish there was a way to absorb vassal cities of a certain pop or below as towns the way you do outposts, because otherwise the shitty little cities the ai sneaks into the middle of my stuff are very obnoxious since I really don't like razing.

So far seems pretty baseline competent civlike, satisfied with the buy, but definitely waiting for the polish. Gonna try an islands map next see if having water between us makes dealing with the other nations less annoying. Definitely want to see more invested into the diplo system.

Edit: And performance improvements lordy does it chug in the lst few ages even on a medium map

I won based on art xp so I think it can be good. The scaling cost on artists is painful but if you get a national spirit tree that use art xp you get more to spend on. Master artists let you spawn apprentices that upgrade to artists at a fixed cost for example. Artists give you culture bombs and culture has a lot of good things. I used it to fill social fabrics.

Seconding you on absorbing small vassal cities.

Are you even allowed to raze AI settled cities? Never saw an option appear for that in the early game conquests.

Don't think so. You can definitely raze neutral ones for pop in your capital but that's about it.

Back