Fallen Kingdoms

His 'Rules'? I suppose the Entities that grant superpowers are also responsible for the monsters then?

Or something like them anyway.

[X] "If I give you flesh to inhabit, then you will use the flesh as I demand- You will kill and consume who I want you to, when I want you to, after I give you leave to- And you will not consume anyone who does not meet those conditions. Is that an acceptable bargain?"

I'm ok with this.We are going to have PLENTY of AETHER-morphs to feed it... And we definitely have enemies. Someone framed us.
[Imported from QQ]

Somehow I get the feeling he's taking about using OUR flesh.
"Jax IS intelligent." The circle blinks. "I would CALL you my master... You would give me FORM... You would give me NAME... And I would EAT your enemies... There would be a PRICE for you however... I would need FLESH to be freed... Humans are so very FRAGILE, so I could remake it... But it wouldn't be the SAME."

Yeah, I have the feeling that buying what he's selling is going to lead to a pretty big Humanity hit.

Besides, it's called Faustian Pact, I haven't read that story but IIRC it didn't end the way Faust would have liked.

[x] Ask about rules.
[x] Tell him we'll think about it - we don't have many enemies. Yet.

[X] "If I give you flesh to inhabit, then you will use the flesh as I demand- You will kill and consume who I want you to, when I want you to, after I give you leave to- And you will not consume anyone who does not meet those conditions. Is that an acceptable bargain?"

OK, I've been thinking....

Whoever is responsible didn't pick us as a fallguy because we saw something we shouldn't have seen.

They planned this out, we're talking MONTHS in advance....

Now the question is why?

-"If I give you flesh to inhabit, then you will use the flesh as I demand- You will kill and consume who I want you to, when I want you to, after I give you leave to- And you will not consume anyone who does not meet those conditions. Is that an acceptable bargain?"

The eye seems to pause a moment, and then you see it blink shut as the creature within laughs. "Oh, hahaha! Jax BARGAINS! Jax sets RULES. Gooood..." The eye reappears. "Jax must LEARN though. To listennnn CLOSELY. I said MASTER... Those rules are such that a MASTER would settt."

The eye pauses and swirls. "So... I would accept THOSE terms. But I MUST set one of my owwwn." It solidifies. "I would NEED a form. State it. WEAPON or BEAST. I would need a NAME. Grant ittt... I will SLEEP until you call ME. Then I WILL destroy. That which you demand. That which you call me forth for. BUT UNDERSTAND that I EAT and DEVOUR. If you call ME. Be CERTAIN that I have a MEAL. Lest I TURN on you and take another pound of fleshhh... This is MY NATURE. MY rules."

"I understand that much. About the flesh?" You nod. It's simple enough so far. You aren't certain it's something you want, but it's simple enough.

"You CANNOT regrow what I NEED." The circle blinks. "But you CAN supply, and I CAN do the ressst. Your hand would DO... It will HURT you HUMAN. Jaxxx. So be CERTAIN you wish it... I am NOT a kind creature. EVEN in this state I HUNGER. But I am honest, and I KNOW what I am..."

You think a moment and wince as you think about what the pain would be like. That said, it would give you a defense that's far more potent, hopefully. "Form and name. Limitations in this?"

"NO." The circle swirls somewhat. "ONLY what you can visualize... I would SUGGEST you be simpleee though. The better you CAN imagine, the better I CAN focus. I will be WEAK until I eat MORE or time passes. I have no LIMIT to how strong I can be."

"One last question then." You pause a moment as the circle blinks at you.

"Ask JAX. I have ALL the time in the worllld." If you were to guess you would say that's a bit sarcastic.

"What happens when I die?" You ask.

The circle swirls some. You think you stumped it a bit actually. "I FORGOT that HUMANS die eventually... I would FULFILL your DEBTS and take the REST of your fleshhhh. Then kill and devour. For such is my NATURE, my RULES."

--

Short, but I think this should help clarify a few things.

Yeah, massive humanity hit if we go through with this. Not to mention losing a hand would suck big time being out in the boonies like this.

Undead-Spaceman said:
Yeah, massive humanity hit if we go through with this. Not to mention losing a hand would suck big time being out in the boonies like this.
That depends on what replaces it....

Honestly though, if we want to prove our innocence, coming back with this guy in place of a hand KINDA makes that difficult.

Night_stalker said:
That depends on what replaces it....

Honestly though, if we want to prove our innocence, coming back with this guy in place of a hand KINDA makes that difficult.
Yeah, being 'friends' with this guy is just going to confirm the bullshit story they got on us.

Also, I got the impression he was just going to appear when we called like that one dragon from Skyrim or Captain Planet.

Undead-Spaceman said:
Yeah, being 'friends' with this guy is just going to confirm the bullshit story they got on us.

Also, I got the impression he was just going to appear when we called like that one dragon from Skyrim or Captain Planet.
And like I said earlier, we're facing a BIG conspiracy...

On one hand, goodbye handy and ability to claim we don't consort with monsters.

On the ot- where'd it go? BWAH?

Anyway, we'd get a kickass replacement til we die.

[X] I understand. Take my left Arm... and be as the form of a great serpent of Black iron scale, with a mouth which can encompass anything you would engulf and 7 Grand Feathered Wings of every colour possible to speed your way, to give motion to your strikes... to give you absolute freedom to hunt. And by the name of Jormungand I christen you... World Serpent... Devourer of All things.

[x] I see. I will think about it.

"You die - I go on rampage" is not a good deal.

[x] I see. I will think about it.

"You WILL... Think." The eye blinks once. "You WILL be BACK toooo." And the eye goes away. You get the impression that the thing is sleeping now.

You spend the trip back thinking about the deal and shuddering slightly. It's not quite alien the way that thing thought, you could follow along with it somewhat. But it was different enough to make you very wary. At least the encounter didn't end with you scared out of your wits again. Which is a bit of a plus. The strange insistances on rules and nature were also both rather interesting as well.

You also got some information about your mother's invention. It works, but only somewhat. Enough to fool the monsters if they don't look to hard? It's not easy to tell with just one frame of reference.

You have a journal you brought with you, so you start transcribing your explorations and what's happened so far. It's an interesting picture, though admittedly still in the infancy. Your mother could probably have gotten so much more. But you have to make due. You write it in old tounge just to be certain that no one else can casually read it. It's not a hard language to learn, but it's different enough to function as an easy code, and gives you practice as well in it.

That done, you turn in for the night.
[]

19 days of rations left

[] Siren's song (The pools) - Action
[] Scavenger's Hunger (Down the left fork of the stream, and into the fields)
[] Faustian Pact (Down the right fork, and near the cliff) - Action
[] Royal curiosity (A strange cave nearby the fork of the stream)
[] Call Kale, check for news on phone, look for messages from mother. (Basically the catch all for 'check back home')
[] Explore (Dangerous)

[X] Call Kale, check for news on phone, look for messages from mother. (Basically the catch all for 'check back home')

[] Call Kale, check for news on phone, look for messages from mother. (Basically the catch all for 'check back home')

[] Royal curiosity (A strange cave nearby the fork of the stream)

Back