Elite: Dangerous

So I picked up this game on sale a few days ago, and it's...a bit overwhelming, I must say.

One thing that bothers me, though, is the "Advanced Combat Training" tutorial mission. Is it supposed to repeatedly kick my ass, or am I just rubbish? (I strongly suspect the latter, but you never know...)

So I picked up this game on sale a few days ago, and it's...a bit overwhelming, I must say.

One thing that bothers me, though, is the "Advanced Combat Training" tutorial mission. Is it supposed to repeatedly kick my ass, or am I just rubbish? (I strongly suspect the latter, but you never know...)
Yes.

There's a reason most players preferred combat strategy is "stack the deck before hand and cheat mercilessly during."

ED's combat has a crazy steep skill curve with a ludicrously high ceiling most players will never see. My best advice is to learn the geometry of most common ships, where their hardpoints are, where their blindspots are, etc, and use a vulture or fleur-de-lance to never get shot at.

Yes.

A person who beats it on their first run through is a statistical anomaly and can thus safely be ignored (and they're still going to get creamed trying PVP or high level PVE in an unengineered ship).

Oh yeah, the advance combat training is a beast.

I know of vets who can't pass it. Can't recall if I ever have.

BTW - this migrant would like to inform you that there is a Squadron formed by regulars of a Certain Scientific Sister board. Lost in SpaceBattles. Squadron tag is SBER.

Actually has 8 members, some of whom log in semi-regularly (like myself).

So on a whim I decided to see how high above the galactic plane I could get. I'm not quite sure how many lightyears I was above, but I reached a point where there were no more stars higher up that I could reach:

One thing that really helps sell the sense of scale is that the starfield in the background is not a static image, but dynamically generated from the stars around. So as you climb higher and higher you see fewer and fewer stars until there's nothing above but an empty black void. It's surprisingly...disconcerting:

I'm out on the Sanguineous Rim, heading towards the Crab nebula. I've the galaxy on one side and the void on the other - okay so the Rim ain't exactly quite the big empty so I still got plenty of stars but still.

Keep spotting and trying to figure out if I can route to extragalactic objects.

So.

Odyssey has launched, and while it's a bit of a hot mess at the moment - the game is clearly in Early Access still - but it's (mostly) playable (and becoming more playable with every hotfix) and you can have some fun with it.

The tutorial is good, tho, when it doesn't bug out (though everything after you board the ship is basically just: "This is the kind of excitement what awaits you if you don't get your own ship").

The new engineering looks to be a more advanced form of grinding, though you can have loads of fun relieving outposts of all their stuff.

The Apex shuttle service is usable, but I wouldn't voluntarily use it much more than required for the engineering unlock.

Ground combat in CZ's is fun and engaging, but the transit to and from gets boring quickly if you're based out of a station far from the zone you're fighting in. Manticore for the win, by the way: Executioner for range and Intimidator for close in work.

The new exploration stuff is interesting too.

... but, boy, am I glad I finished the old engineering grind, the Rank grind for unlocks, picked up all of the Guardian stuff I wanted, and participated in the Surveillance CG that got stupid high rewards (+1 billion credits for me - and the only reason I didn't get more was because I refused to support Hudson on ideological grounds) before it dropped, so I can fool around for a bit.

Last edited:
Just an update from a hater:

Okay, so the gunplay of Odyssey is okay, if you don't play actual FPS. Basically, if you think Borderlands has engaging FPS gunplay... you won't enjoy Odyssey.

Yes, I realize exactly what I said there. No, I'm not being ironic.

At the moment, non-interactive travel time to gameplay is, uh, 90% dick-all to 10% pew pew? It appears that they increased the amount of interdiction occurrences to encourage gamers to use the Apex system... pay more, play less and all that.

The engineering grind is ludicrous to the point of being batshit insane. Example: Data drops are "downloaded" on foot. Not 'find and click' but 'find and click and wait'. Up to three minutes of just standing around and doing nothing. Because immersions.

Also, optimization is a joke and there's a reason why they called the pre-order scam you-pay-them QA department an Alpha. The PC release is the Beta for the consoles because Microsoft and Sony have actual standards and requirements compared to what Steam allows to be sold.

Long and short of it: Even if they manage to quash the bugs (which I doubt, FDevs have a bad track record with that) the core gameplay loop is insultingly bad and the grind is systematically worse than bog-standard Elite Dangerous in ways that would require a full overhaul to correct. The fact that they charged $40 bucks for this insult to ED players is as predictable as it is disheartening.

Also, weapon engineering doesn't show any stats at all.

Also the new planet tech makes ugly fucking planets and will ruin you Horizons experience when you're forced to deal with it.

But don't worry! There are lots and lots of new microtransaction cosmetics to buy! (The microtransaction cosmetics are also bugged)

This update is fetid garbage cynically put out entirely too early by greedy executives and frankly would kinda suck even if it the product of "passionate indie devs" because they cocked up the gameplay loop, the UI and other very important parts.

Don't buy it.

Last edited:
I want to be able to get the new modules and test the new features, but my pioneering ass is in the far side of The Errant Marches. Maybe in a few months, I'll be back in the bubble, and have a reason to buy, because right now I don't think there's any features I can even access.

So I got into and back out of Elite a while ago. If I don't have Odyssey will I still have to suffer through the Engineering grind if I want to get back into the game? Should I get back into the game if only just to get a bunch of well engineered modules before they role this into the base game, or do you guys think I should be fine?

Barring bugs and server issues two things that - design wise - are unambiguous downgrades from Horizons is the ship storage/transfer menus and outfitting.

For ship transfer, you can no longer check what modules you have on stored ships.
Given some people have taken to using ships to store modules to get around the 120 module limit on storage... Well, I also complain because I wanna check what's on a ship before I decide if I want to transfer it to my location.

For outfitting, much the same, you can't see what engineering is on a module unless you outfit it to your ship, leave outfitting and check it. And you can't check the engineering details at all on stored modules. They've also obfuscated how any given module will change your ships stats and performance if outfitted.

They've also added layers of mess to actually mounting stored modules. And I've been holding off checking out exactly how because they messed with the buy/sell system so that if you're just messing around you may accidentally sell your modules rather than put them in storage.

For now, Horizons still has the old system, and people have taken to swapping to Odyssey for outfitting - which is a sign of a quality user interface upgrade to be sure.

About the only good thing about these particular changes is the shipyard - now available at most stations, and every shipyard lets you view (though not purchase) every ship.

But yeah, overall, the interface won't tell you shit about the stuff you actually have.

The new engineer grind does have one thing going for it, and that is, at first glance it looks like one slot, one upgrade, so it looks less like gradually improve and more customize and improve in discrete stages.
But as mentioned, it requires crazy amounts of grind to actually get to that point so I've not actually checked if that's the case. If it is, it means the high price is, at least fixed and predictable, so you can know exactly the cost of engineering to desired spec.
If it isn't, though... Oooh boy.

Progression in the two new ranks is... Well, okayish. Grindy, but it's Elite, it's to be expected.
They took away the percentages for all the progress bars, which is another point of interface obfuscation.
And they've apparently messed up the superpower rank grind (which is why I'm glad I'm done with that for now).

Doing merc work to advance the mercenary rank is fairly rewarding in terms of credits (though not as rewarding as flying, though you'll pay for infantry basic kit in one go - around, so can be a decent investment). Given the on foot gear is more expensive than the cheaper ships...

Exobiology is a lot more legwork, and less credits, but you get more progress for each individual point of work (thougj the effort is somewhat variable), and combine it with the other exploration, it's a fairly risk free way of getting by and seeing the sights - the new graphics are great where they've put the effort in (just too bad they're also terrible where they haven't).

All told, it's definitely early access. I won't deign to call it a beta, as far as I'm concerned, this is still in alpha. Maybe we'll hit beta before console release.

A friend of mine finally managed to rope me into playing this one. The first two hours were probably the most frustrated I've ever been playing a game (and that was with a friend who loves it walking me through like holy shit lol) but now that I actually kind of sort of half understand what I am doing it is actually super engrossing.

Though I did become a smuggler by accident lol (fortunately my friend had told me how to do that beforehand)

Floating this thread back up:

The Thargoid invasion of the Bubble is being beaten back, 2 of the 8 Titans currently active have been destroyed and it is not to late to get in on the action (tho, it is too late to get the unique rewards for being involved in the destruction of all eight).

Fdev has teased new ships for later this year, including the Python mk 2, which is rumored to be coming with a new and improved FSD based on reverse engineered Titan tech (there is currently a CG for collecting drive components from the wrecks).

AX content has never been more accessible.

3 of 8 Titans have been destroyed.

If you are in the bubble, go buy some caustic sinks and go watch Oya explode in about 20 hours.

Back