Elite: Dangerous

Oh yeah, and trust me it's not your fault for using it. FDev's response to their economy have shown they just don't understand it - or perhaps, they listen to the wrong people. Look at the multi-crew payout nerf fiasco, or the way they've whacked various activities with cash nerfs and then buffed them again. I only fly a conda because of that 10x payout CG last year, lol.

The event highlighting limitations in the instancing topography Elite uses is a bit of a laugh though; can you have a giant shared, multi-system even between hundreds of people? Nope!

Because I know that I do, and I just did the Quince exploit to get a very nice ship. Two, in fact.
What's this Quince exploit involve? I don't know of it. And I see you mentioned wanting to nab the Cutter and Corvette next, now you have an Anaconda - do you have the ranks for purchasing 'em?

Oh yeah, and trust me it's not your fault for using it. FDev's response to their economy have shown they just don't understand it - or perhaps, they listen to the wrong people. Look at the multi-crew payout nerf fiasco, or the way they've whacked various activities with cash nerfs and then buffed them again. I only fly a conda because of that 10x payout CG last year, lol.

The event highlighting limitations in the instancing topography Elite uses is a bit of a laugh though; can you have a giant shared, multi-system even between hundreds of people? Nope!
Yep. It's a limitation of the Elite Dangerous engine and sadly fixing that is a bit of a pipe dream. Oh well, so long as I can play with friends I'm mostly fine.

What's this Quince exploit involve? I don't know of it. And I see you mentioned wanting to nab the Cutter and Corvette next, now you have an Anaconda - do you have the ranks for purchasing 'em?
ATM I don't have the money or rep for either of those ships, but I can grind them. Doing Quince is a good way to rank up in the Empire, although actually getting the promotion missions there isn't so easy.

But here's how Quince works.
First off, if you have a ship like an Asp Explorer or something with similar optional internal capacity with good FSD range, kit it for long range travel. If not, buy a Dolphin because they're relatively cheap and outfit it with a luxury cabin in the largest slot and kit it out for long range travel.
Then go to Quince, and travel to Jeffries High.
Remove the Fuel Scoop and kit out all internal slots with passenger cabins. Then accept any and all passengers going to the Quince Visitor Beacon or Gaylen's Ascension. Fly out to the closest destination, which is Gaylen's Ascension, and scan the beacon. This will complete all your passenger missions. Turn them in and load up again, board-switching as needed. Rinse and repeat until sufficiently rich. The bigger your ship, the more money you can make per run. Be wary of griefers.
In my Dolphin was averaging 1-2 million per run. In my Anaconda, more like 5-6. My Beluga is around 6-7.

So, I'm almost to the Imperial Cutter. Thank God for the Quince exploit!

Anyone watching Captain Skoomer's amazing ED videos? He and his friend Zach are doing the Distant Worlds expedition together, and they've documented their trip thus far as a story of sorts, full of superb video editing, excellent music and some pretty darn entertaining dialogue.

Anyone still playing Elite?

I've been on my first exploration jaunt out of the bubble since the end of July where I've been playing off and on since. I'm now heading back to the bubble but still a few thousand light years away.

I also decided to get an Oculus Rift for this game which I should be getting soon.

Not too many people seem excited for 2.4 though. :(

2.4's a bit neat but I have to admit the core gameplay loop of Elite's just gotten bleh for me.

That said Frontier did say that kind of thing was going be their focus for 2018 (and the updates for all of it will be free to all), so here's hoping a lot of us come back to a far improved game by then.

Deleted my account a month ago and started out fresh in a sidewinder.

Got a Cobra thing going, was fun. Then sorta stopped playing once I was sorta reaching out of the very low-level basic stuff and inching into the grind again.

Also very lacking of interest in the 2.4 story. It's like a webcomic that updates a single page a week. Goin' a bit too slow and not going anywhere interesting.

Mostly just reading about happenings nowadays.

But I have spent far too much in cosmetic micro-transactions to abandon this game >_>

Deleted my account a month ago and started out fresh in a sidewinder.

Got a Cobra thing going, was fun. Then sorta stopped playing once I was sorta reaching out of the very low-level basic stuff and inching into the grind again.

Also very lacking of interest in the 2.4 story. It's like a webcomic that updates a single page a week. Goin' a bit too slow and not going anywhere interesting.

Mostly just reading about happenings nowadays.

But I have spent far too much in cosmetic micro-transactions to abandon this game >_>
I've been tempted to reset my account just to do the climb back up the ladder thing again, but then I break into a cold sweat over how long it's taken me to get this close to elite rank for combat and exploration and I'm like

fffffffffffffffffffuck that :V

Still play occasionally - but the problem is their stupid grind locking me out of most content - I've got a fairly engineered python, so I'm firmly middle class - can't participate in thargoid stuff AT All without shitty grinding that I'm not willing to do first.

Especially since I have shit house jump range

Anyone still playing Elite?
*raises hand*
Not much anymore, admittedly, but I pop in once every month or two. Mainly following the plot via ObsidianAnt on Youtube atm, as it's been going pretty slowly in 2.4 as mentioned above. I believe the devs are trying to simulate how first-contact (is it first if we've met Thargoid before?) would occur in reality, vs how it would go in a videogame, or something.

Looking forward to the promised gameplay improvements throughout 3.X though, those'll be nice. As currently the main thing preventing me progressing more in ED is the 'endgame grind' for Engineer materials and Credits to buy the last few ships. Which I need to unlock via achieving a specific rank in the Federation/Empire, so there's yet another grind.

...ED is quite the grindy game.

Tbh I'm not interested in doing the Fed/Imp grind to unlock the Corvette or Cutter (or any of the Fed dropship series ships) and I can't stand the Feds anyway.

I love my Python but I am interested in trying out an Anaconda for multicrew purposes. Also a few other ships just to do something different.

Atm I'm still exploring but when I get back to the bubble I'd like to do literally anything else :D I've spent way too long out in the big empty void (got some sweet screenshots tho even if they're a bit too Python In Front of Things).

Tbh I'm not interested in doing the Fed/Imp grind to unlock the Corvette or Cutter (or any of the Fed dropship series ships) and I can't stand the Feds anyway.
I just want to obtain those ships as I own literally everything else, honestly. Well, not the new stuff to combat the Thargoids, but basically every other ship/fighter.

*raises hands*

I play it too - quite a lot actually, since Elite tends to be my answer to "don't know what specific to play? I guess that's more Elite mission runs!"

I got pretty far I think, in something like 4 months. I own gold-plated Anaconda for maximum pimp along with bunch of other ships, though most generally aren't engineered since I am a dedicated solo potato, even if I had been studying some F/A off tricks just in case. Also, I'm close to reaching my Combat Elite rank, so I will be playing at least until that happens :V

Besides that, I'm currently working my way towards the Gunship. I've been thinking of picking up the Corvette at some point, but the grind between Gunship and Corvette seems needlessly long compared to FAS-Gunship one, and I already own a combat-fitted Conda (Cutter at least, makes for an absolutely beast trader if you can get past the obscene price tag).

I did actually put in some time into the overall metaplot - I got to visit one of the Thargoid surface sites right before 2.4 dropped, though I had been avoiding the Pleiades since then. I, uh, might have also gotten chased by a conspiracy clean-up team :V
Besides that, paid my visits to the some of the INRA bases.

A lot of this stuff was pretty neat in my opinion, though the actual length of time required to find it, and the extreme vagueness that the story is being pushed with kind of damped my enthusiasm for it. I did like the Beyond announcement though, if for nothing else that we finally get the Krait.

I managed to get a Cutter, and I only lack the Corvette.
I've been trying to get into PvP, but when I think about what I need to do for Engineers I just go NOPE and play something else.

I've got most engineers unlocked, or at least got the invite for some of the high level ones. The most important one is Palin which is the whole reason I went for my exploration jaunt.

I really want to see engineering get a balance pass for Beyond. The thing that shits me is the arbitrary limit for materials and especially data. It just smacks of bullshit. Like these are persistent totals, they survive rebuy screens unlike say commodities which are lost if you should blow up. Why are material storage limits so fuckn low. It's especially egregious due to the fact you have to make multiple rolls to get optimal results for whatever you're modifying. Like fuckn make it easier for us FDev, jesus.

Anyway, despite my complaints I still love flying around space and driving around desolate vacc worlds in my space buggy <3

I've got most engineers unlocked, or at least got the invite for some of the high level ones. The most important one is Palin which is the whole reason I went for my exploration jaunt.

I really want to see engineering get a balance pass for Beyond. The thing that shits me is the arbitrary limit for materials and especially data. It just smacks of bullshit. Like these are persistent totals, they survive rebuy screens unlike say commodities which are lost if you should blow up. Why are material storage limits so fuckn low. It's especially egregious due to the fact you have to make multiple rolls to get optimal results for whatever you're modifying. Like fuckn make it easier for us FDev, jesus.

Anyway, despite my complaints I still love flying around space and driving around desolate vacc worlds in my space buggy <3
The greatest joy the Elite gives me is making music videos with it. The game is stunning.

So after some time away I came back and finished a long trip to a couple of nebulas and on my way back swung by Sag*A for the first time.

Very pretty trip. Also had fun with Neutron star FSD boosts. Nothing like a 127LY jump. Only problem was that I eventually learnt each boost damaged the FSD. So had to limp home a bit. :/

Now I'm going to look at something else. Thinking of getting a Beluga and just doing some of the station rescue missions if any are left. Could be fun to do some of that stuff.

I spent many hours pulling thousands of people off of Obsidian Orbital over the weekend. The aesthetics of the attacked stations are top notch and everybody should experience them at least once.

Also pro-tip, pack an AFMU on whatever ship you go exploring in. It can repair every module except itself and your power plant and it weighs nothing.

I spent many hours pulling thousands of people off of Obsidian Orbital over the weekend. The aesthetics of the attacked stations are top notch and everybody should experience them at least once.

Also pro-tip, pack an AFMU on whatever ship you go exploring in. It can repair every module except itself and your power plant and it weighs nothing.

Is there plot happening yet?

Is there plot happening yet?
There's been plot happening for months now, dude. Years, if you consider the leadup. If you're referring to plot in the sense of official storylines, quests and areas one can visit to engage in battles vs raid boss like in most MMO? Nooot~ so much. Don't think ED goes in for that gameplay style, overall.

That said you're perfectly able to join in and be one of the many CMDR chipping in the humanitarian crisis of Thargoid attacks on space station, going off to them and ferrying folk away from the burning wrecks (or bringing supplies to repair 'em). There's also going out and fighting Thargoid, in specific sections of the galaxy, although you'll need specific weapons, scanners and in all honesty a Wing of fellow CMDR if you hope to survive a battle; winning solo is very tricky to achieve.

Back